Getting an early jump on Black Friday shopping, Macy's will reportedly open its doors on Thanksgiving afternoon, continuing a tradition it began in 2014.
Last year, the department store chain opened an hour earlier than previous years, at 5:00 pm. Phil Dengler, of shopping site BestBlackFriday.com, tells ConsumerAffairs he has confirmed with seven different Macy's locations that the stores will open at 5:00 pm on Thanksgiving day.
Dengler says he has confirmed the following stores and holiday hours:
- Deptford Mall - Deptford, New Jersey - Thanksgiving 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm Black Friday
- Cherry Hill Mall - Cherry Hill, New Jersey - Thanksgiving 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm Black Friday
- Hamilton Mall - Mays Landing, New Jersey - Thanksgiving 5:00 pm - 2:00 am ; Opening 6:00 am on Black Friday to 10:00 PM
- Houston Galleria at Hidalgo - Houston, Texas - Thanksgiving 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm Black Friday
- South Hills Village Mall - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - Thanksgiving 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm Black Friday
- Stanford Shopping Center - Palo Alto, California - Thanksgiving 5:00 pm to 2:00 am; Opening 6:00 am on Black Friday to 10:00 pm
- Westside Pavilion - Los Angeles, California - Thanksgiving 5:00 pm to 2:00 am; Opening 6:00 am on Black Friday to 10:00 pm
Big Lots and GameStop are unconfirmed
Dengler says his company has confirmed that Big Lots and GameStop will be open on Thanksgiving but he has not been able to confirm the hours.
Some stores made a point last year of closing on Thanksgiving in order to give employees the holiday to be with family. The gesture may not be that costly to the retailers, since consumers who want to shop on Thanksgiving Day can do so online, without the brick and mortar stores being open.
PracticalECommerce.com reports consumers spent $1.93 billion in online sales on Thanksgiving Day last year, an 11.5 percent increase over 2015. Many stores that close their brick and mortar locations on that day ring up online sales all day long.
Based on last year, Dengler predicts Best Buy, Dicks Sporting Goods, JC Penney, Kohl's, Michael's, Sears, Target, Toys R Us, Walgreens, and Walmart will be open on Thanksgiving Day, though none have yet been confirmed.
Keep an eye on your inbox, the lastest consumer news is on it's way!