HD Premier of Wilmington, Del., is recalling about 119,620 DigitDots 3mm and 5mm magnetic balls.
When two or more high-powered magnets are swallowed, either intentionally by younger children or accidentally by older children, the ingested magnets can attract to each other, or to another metal object, and become lodged in the digestive system.
This can result in perforations, twisting, and/or blockage of the intestines that can cause infection, blood poisoning, and death.
The firm is aware of four children who have ingested DigitDots and required surgery to remove the magnets. The CPSC is also aware of other reports of children and teenagers ingesting other companies’ high-powered magnets and requiring surgery, including two deaths.
This recall involves 3mm and 5mm DigitDots magnetic balls, which are small, spherical, loose, and separable neodymium rare-earth magnets with a strong magnetic flux.
The magnets are sold in two sizes: 3mm and 5mm. The 3mm diameter magnets are sold as aggregated loose magnets in sets of 512 multi-colored magnetic balls. The 5mm diameter magnets are sold as aggregated loose magnets in sets of 222 silver magnetic balls or 224 multi-colored magnetic balls.
The recalled DigitDots were sold encased in clear, disposable packaging bearing the “DigitDots” name and logo. The product includes a plastic carrying case that also bears the “DigitDots” name and logo.
The magnetic balls, manufactured in China, were sold online at www.ilovedigitdots.com, www.amazon.com, and other websites from March 2019, through January 2022, for between $20 and $30.
What to do
Consumers should stop using the recalled magnets immediately, take them away from children, and contact HD Premier to receive a pre-paid label to return the recalled products. Upon receipt of the products, consumers will receive a refund.
Consumers may contact HD Premier by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or online for more information.