Ford Motor Company is recalling about 2.6 million of the following:
- Model year 2006-2012 Ford Fusion,
- Model year 2007-2010 Ford Edge,
- Model year 2007-2011 Ford Ranger,
- Model year 2006-11 Mercury Milan,
- Model year 2006-12 Lincoln Zephyr/MKZ, and
- Model year 2007-10 Lincoln MKX vehicles.
Takata driver-side front airbag inflators were installed as original equipment and contain a calcium sulfate desiccant.
Takata determined that desiccated propellant in these inflators may degrade after long-term exposure to high humidity and temperature cycling, which could cause an inflator to rupture during airbag deployment, resulting in serious injury or death.
What to do
Ford will contact owners, and dealers will replace the driver-side front airbag inflator or airbag module.
Owner notifications will begin the week of April 1, 2021.
Owners may contact Ford customer service at (866) 436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 21S12.