PhotoEverybody wants to get out of the house in spring. It's warmer and while you are perhaps planting your garden your dog might be roaming around the yard. There are some dangerous pitfalls to that.

Pets can be accidental casualties in the war against weeds and pests. Two of the top ten culprits in accidental poisonings -- insecticides and snail and slug bait -- are found in the garden. If you arm yourself with the knowledge you can help steer your pet away from any of the things that could harm them. 

Disulfoton is a class of pesticides. For the most part they have been taken off the market but you can still find them in some things like Ortho Rose Pride or other rose protection products. The issue with this is that dogs really like the taste because the stuff is mixed with fertilizers that contain blood and bone meal. They will chow down on it without a problem. It will make them extremely sick though.

It will cause vomiting diarrhea, seizures, and potentially death.

Another toxin dogs can get their paws on is rodent bait. It's another palate favorite. The problem with this is you won't see the effects from this for about 7 days. You have to catch them in the act to know they ate it.

Mulch madness

One culprit that causes a lot of problems that you might never suspect is mulch. The brown mulch is taken from a tree that is a cousin of chocolate. Pets that chew the mulch can get chocolate toxicity, possibly causing vomiting, diarrhea and potentially death.

Spring bulbs unfortunately can be toxic. So when you plant don't plant where your dog normally digs. They will just dig them up and wind up with stomach distress and choking.

Then there's slug and snail bait with metaldehyde. It can cause tremors, seizures, and even death. Use something else. Baits containing ferric phosphate are a less toxic version.

Herbicides can cause vomiting if eaten. Take the dog in when you apply them on your grass and weeds. Don't forget to bring in their water bowls and any toys, anything they may be putting in their mouth. Keep them in until it is all dry. Once it's dry it is safe to let the dogs out because the chemical has gone down to the root and your lawn is considered dog safe.

With dogs running around you know how thirsty they get and any water is good, even if it is a puddle. But you have to be careful -- antifreeze from cars sits in the puddles. Make sure you have fresh water at all times.

A good rule of thumb is if you have to keep it away from your kids it’s safe to say keep it away from your pets.

Share your Comments