Follow us:
  1. Home
  2. News
  3. Health News

CDC warns consumers about E. coli infections linked to Jimmy John’s restaurants

Fourteen consumers in five states have become ill

Photo
Photo (c) carterdayne - Getty Images
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is warning consumers about an E. coli outbreak connected to clover sprouts served at Jimmy John’s restaurant locations. 

The agency says that 14 consumers in five states -- including Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Texas, and Utah -- reported becoming ill after eating these products. Jimmy John’s says that its restaurants stopped selling clover sprouts on February 24, 2020, and regulators are currently checking to see if other restaurants also received the same shipments.

The current strain of E. coli is a Shiga toxin-producing infection, which can cause kidney failure in extreme cases. Sickness from the infection can last anywhere from 2-8 days after the germ enters the body and usually leads to severe stomach cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting.  

Preventing infection

Consumers who have eaten at a Jimmy John’s restaurant in affected states are advised to throw away any clover sprout leftovers and talk to their healthcare provider if they show symptoms of illness. 

Health officials say all consumers should practice good hygiene to avoid passing on the infection, including washing hands thoroughly after going to the bathroom and before and after handling food. 

The CDC says that concerned consumers can contact their state health department for questions about cases in their area.

Share your comments