BMW of North America is recalling 61,221 of the following vehicles:
- Model year 2022 4 Series Gran Coupe (430i, 430i xDrive, M440i xDrive);
- Model year 2019-2022 X5 sDrive40i, X5 xDrive40i, X5 xDrive50i, X5 M50i, X5M;
- Model year 2021-2022 X5 xdrive45e;
- Model year 2020-2022 X6 sDrive40i, X6 xDrive40i, X6 xDrive50i, X6M and
- Model year 2019-2023 X7 xDrive40i, X7 xDrive50i, X7 M50i, X7 xDrive60i, X7 M60i, X7M, Alpina XB7.
The roof function control unit may be programmed incorrectly, allowing the sunroof to close without the key fob present inside the vehicle.
A sunroof that closes without the key fob present inside the vehicle can increase the risk of injury.
What to do
Dealers will reprogram the roof function control unit free of charge.
Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed on June 13, 2022.
Owners may contact BMW customer service at (800) 525-7417.