BMW of North America is recalling 21,537 of the following model year 2021 vehicles:
- 2 Series (230i, 230i xDrive, M240i, M240i xDrive),
- 330e, 330e Xdrive,
- 4 Series Coupe (430i, 430i xDrive, M440i xDrive)
- M4 Coupe, M4 Competition Coupe,
- BMW 4 Series Convertible (430i, M440i),
- BMW X1 sDrive28i, xDrive28i,
- 2 Series Gran Coupe (228i, 228i xDrive, M235i xDrive),
- M2 Competition Coupe, 330i, 330i xDrive, M340i, M340i xDrive, M3, M3 Competition,
- 530i, 530i xDrive, 540i, 540i xDrive,
- MINI Hardtop 2 Door (Cooper, CooperS, JCW),
- X2 sDrive28i, X2 xDrive28i, X2 M35i,
- Z4 sDrive30i, Z4 M40i,
- MINI Hardtop 2 Door (Cooper SE),
- MINI Convertible (Cooper, Cooper S, JCW),
- MINI Clubman (Cooper S, Cooper S All4, JCW),
- MINI Countryman (Cooper, Cooper All4, Cooper S, Cooper S All4, JCW All4),
- Rolls Royce Ghost,
- MINI Countryman (Cooper S E All4),
- Rolls Royce Phantom,
- Rolls Royce Cullinan, and
- Toyota Supra.
The passenger seat belt Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) may deactivate early, before the webbing fully retracts.
A seat belt retractor that does not function as intended in a crash increases the risk of injury.
What to do
Dealers will inspect the seat belt retractors (including the seat belts) and -- if necessary -- replace the retractors free of charge.
Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed September 13, 2021.
Owners may contact BMW customer service at (800) 525-7417; Mini customer service at (866) 825-1525; Rolls Royce customer service at (877) 877-3735; and Toyota customer service at (888)270-9371.