BMW of North America is recalling 917,106 of the following vehicles:
- Model year 2008-2013 1 Series Coupe (128i);
- Model year 2007-2013 3 Series Coupe (328i, 328xi, 328i xDrive); Model year 2007-2010 X3 SAV (X3 3.0si, X3 xDrive30i);
- Model year 2008-2013 1 Series Convertible (128i);
- Model year 2006-2011 3 Series Sedan (325i, 325xi, 328i, 328xi, 328i xDrive, 330i, 330xi);
- Model year 2006-2012 3 Series Wagon (328i, 328i xDrive);
- Model year 2007-2013 3 Series Convertible (328i);
- Model year 2006-2010 5 Series Sedan (525i, 525xi, 528i, 528xi, 530i, 530xi);
- Model year 2006-2007 5 Series Wagon (530xi);
- Model year 2007-2010 X5 SAV (X5 3.0si, X5 xDrive30i);
- Model year 2006-2008 Z4 Coupe (Z4 3.0si); and
- Model year2006-2011 Z4 Roadster (Z4 3.0i, Z4 3.0si, Z4 sDrive30i).
The heater for the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve may short circuit.
An electrical short can cause the parts within the PCV valve to melt and increase the risk of a fire, even when the vehicle is not in use.
What to do
Vehicles previously repaired under prior recalls, including one issued in Spring 2019, will need to come back for the new recall remedy, which is currently being developed.
Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed on April 25, 2022.
Owners may contact BMW customer service at (800) 525-7417.