Find a Movers partner

3.9/5 (771 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About United Van Lines

United Van Lines facilitates local, long-distance and international moves for residential and corporate clients. United is upfront with pricing, but you need an in-home estimate to get a final moving quote. Additional services include packing and unpacking, storage and home cleaning.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Clear pricing
    • Online tracking
    • Excellent insurance

Cons

• Can be pricier than competitors

Bottom Line

United Van Lines offers just about every moving service possible. Costs can be a bit more than at other companies, but the excellent insurance makes up for it.

Top United Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We moved from Texas to Tennessee. They came to our house packed it all up … The movers in Texas were efficient and kind. The movers in Tennessee unloaded everything and were also ...

Verified

Everything the movers did was with care, professionalism, and hard work. They helped guide me through every step in the process ... After everything was done not a scratch on anyt...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About United Van Lines

United Van Lines is a large moving company that offers local, long-distance, cross-country and international moving services. Each move comes with loading and unloading, online tracking and full valuation coverage. The inclusion of full valuation coverage with every move is a standout feature. You can take advantage of a wide range of additional services to make your move as effortless as possible.

United Van Lines cost

The average apartment move with United Van Lines costs about $4,000, while the average household move costs approximately $7,750. Local moves are cheaper — about $2,250 for a large move with packing services. Costs for moving vary based on the time of year, the weight of transported possessions, additional moving services selected and the moving distance.

Some companies give a rough estimate of moving costs after you submit basic information, but United Van Lines prefers to perform a more thorough in-home estimate before giving a quote. The quote the company gives after your in-home inspection remains the same unless you move more items than expected.

Estimated United Van Lines long-distance moving costs

Apartment sizeWithout packingWith packing
    One-bedroom$2,100$2,700
    Two-bedroom$3,500$4,700
    Three-bedroom$4,300$6,200

United Van Lines moving services

United Van Lines has a variety of free and paid moving services. Free services from United Van Lines include:

• In-home estimate: An in-home estimate is required before a move and is the only way to get an accurate quote.
    • Loading and unloading: As part of its services, United loads and unloads everything to and from its truck.
    • Shipment tracking: Track the location of your move using United’s online shipment tracker.
    • Online moving resources: Consult United’s website for a moving checklist and to see frequently asked questions.
    • Full value protection: This coverage offers $6 per pound for damaged or lost goods — significantly better than traditional coverage of $0.60 per pound.

Paid services from United Van Lines include:

• Packing and unpacking: Choose from full packing and unpacking, partial packing or a customized plan.
    • Long- and short-term storage: If move-in and move-out dates don’t line up, temporary storage for possessions is an option. United can help arrange this.
    • Auto shipping: Moving a car? United partners with auto transport companies to ship vehicles.
    • Trash and debris pickup: United picks up leftover boxes and packing materials after your move.
    • Cleaning services: The company hires cleaners to make sure the move-out location is spotless.

United Van Lines FAQ

What packing services does United Van Lines offer?
    United Van Lines offers a few different packing options:
    • Full-service: United packs everything.
    • DIY: You pack your belongings, but United wraps furniture and loads and unloads it.
    • Custom crating: United packs fragile or antique items.
    • Customized packing: United works with you to develop the right packing plan.
    Can United Van Lines move my car?
    Yes, United Van Lines works with auto transporters that move vehicles.
    How can I submit a claim with United?
    To submit a claim, call United directly or submit the claim on its website.
    Does United offer cleaning services?
    Yes, United can hire cleaners to tidy up your move-out location. It offers services such as debris pickup and trash removal.

Is United Van Lines worth it?

United Van Lines is a great choice if you’re looking for a move that requires minimal effort on your part and are willing to pay a bit extra. We like that United is upfront with most of its pricing. We also like that United includes full valuation coverage to ensure fair reimbursement for lost or damaged items. Overall, United Van Lines is a solid option for those wanting an easy, secure move.

United Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines?

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

We moved from our place into a hotel for a month before our new home was ready. The movers that packed and moved our stuff would be the same movers that would come back and drop our stuff off. To start off they stole a brand new prescription bottle of **. We didn’t want to call them out on it because we still had them another day and a half of packing up our stuff and a month later to unpack our stuff and we were concerned that they would trash our things if we complained or confronted. Most of personal things were packed in boxes. There were TVs- garage stuff- beds - a few things in closet. I had stuff set aside that I asked them not to pack- which got packed up. They put garage stuff mixed w sheets, towels, and things I asked and set aside not to be packed. So may broken things.

They used a whole box w tons of paper to wrap things that would never break like a foam finger used at football games while an old crystal ashtray they barely wrapped and was broke. They also left behind a ton of stuff like wheel barrel, shovels, rakes, hoses, an array of stuff that we had 1 day to find someone able to move on a Sunday and drive 3 hours away. We ended up paying 500 to someone to rent a trailer to move and store our stuff. They didn’t pack up games consoles w the correct controllers or controllers at all, the cords that went w our TVs and consoles were in boxes w our closet clothes, remotes for TVs I found on counter, bed parts for our adjustable bed we still have not found.

Every time I unpacked a box I would be so upset. They threw everything together and you either couldn’t read the writing on box or there was not any writing. The one guy brought along a speaker with him and he attached to his body somehow and turned it up so loud I could not think. They were so unprofessional and unorganized.

We are a middle class family. Family of 4. Our house is middle class. Not over the top things. The price was astronomical. Like I said I had a lot of our things packed already. They made a big deal about a chandelier- broken. They wanted to pack it we couldn’t pack it. Broke. I’m done calling them because I am so overwhelmed w everything I just can’t deal anymore. Do not use this company if you like things organized, clean, done in a matter that you can understand. They stole a script out of our home. It was a huge let down and for 16000 there is no reason for the way things turned out. They came in and made a mess. No respect at all. If you value your things pass on this company.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

DO NOT USE THESE MOVERS!! United Van Lines/Aaction movers!! First our agent told us our belongings would go into a 7x7x7 container and we should need 2 and quoted us a price. The containers came on moving day that were 7x4! Thinking we would need to pay extra for a third container was very upsetting, not to mention one of the containers which was made from plywood had huge gaping holes!!! The agent came to our home and promised our belonging would fit and promised to exchange the container to another once back at the warehouse and would email us proof (he did not).

My concern with the 2 containers being 7ft high but only 4ft in width, my boxes would be smashed and items broken. He promised the moving men were professionals and knew what they were doing and would box everything into the container safely. I was hesitant and reluctantly agreed because we had a flight to catch and obviously couldn't stay in our home. We waited 2 weeks and got a call at 7pm our belonging were going to be delivered the next day between 9-11am. They lost our phone number and emailed us to call as they couldn't get a hold of us. Wow. So now we started to worry what did we do? The driver came in a box truck (not a flat bed with our containers) and was very nice but immediately told us before he started that most of our boxes were damaged and a lot of our belongings were broken!

We immediately texted our agent MICHAEL ** from AACTION MOVERS in Las Vegas and he basically told us through text it was NOT his problem and to call the office! He didn't have the decency to call and say, "What happened?" "How can I help?" or "I'll call the office for you and make this right". Nope. NOTHING!! He left the number to the office. We called and the guy who answered asked what was wrong and then transferred me to another person, when he finally answered it was like pulling teeth to get him to talk or ask me about what was going on. When I finally started to tell him, the finger pointing started between him blaming the warehouse where our belongings were delivered to before shipped to us. He put me in the middle of the blame game and wanted to pass the buck.

The driver told me they could hear how broken our things were in the containers and had to take photos to protect themselves and said that the containers were loaded improperly back in Las Vegas and by the time they got to NJ it was a mess, so they had to unpack everything and move it into a box truck! Our items are going into storage temporarily but they want me to file a claim, fill out all the paperwork, take photos and itemize what is broken! How am I supposed to do all that at a storage unit in the middle of winter and repack all of my things (what's left of them anyway!).

I hung up on the man because I should not have been in the middle of the contractor and subcontractor's blame game. They seemed not concerned on how to make this right and to keep me satisfied and they did not make an effort to call back to correct THEIR MISTAKE!! I did not pay them. Why would I?? I don't want anything for free and if they want to get paid and make this right they will contact me properly and FIX what is BROKEN!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2021

This company moved an entire house of belongings from New England to Florida. I packed my belongings VERY carefully, using blankets and bubble wrap and lots of padding. When I received my belongings, many of the boxes were destroyed, thousands of dollars worth of damage. Even a patio table that THEIR laborers loaded was squashed because they piled hundreds of pounds of items on top of it.

We took pictures of everything, tried to find receipts for what we could, tried to fix what we could, and went to UVL for reimbursement (since they said they were fully insured). They said we needed the original boxes and all the broken items in the exact way they arrived. Pictures would not suffice. Who keeps moving boxes and just leaves all their things shattered and broken? We took photos. They offered us $500 for almost $3,000 in damaged items. They chipped our bed frame in TWO places, which now looks terrible, and the bed frame was part of a set that cost $5,000. $500 for $3,000 worth of damage because we didn’t save the boxes and leave all of our broken, shattered, and squished, items in that condition. NEVER AGAIN, and I highly suggest that if you value your belongings, you don’t use this moving company either!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

Do NOT use United Van Lines to move. They are not reliable. They will broker your move to a another company that you have no choice in. The Local company that ended up moving me was Velocity Movers, which was and was a HORRIBLE experience. The Movers showed up dead tired from moving someone else the day before. They were EXTREMELY slow and inefficient causing me to have to completely reschedule my plans. When they finally did finish loading my belongings at 11PM they told me I would have to pay $1200 additional money (cash) or they would start unloading their truck and leave my belongings on the sidewalk. This happened despite having a exact and detailed inventory of every item that was to be moved. They know they have you at that point and it's either pay them or they will leave your stuff exposed outside..

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

My husband and I moved my husband's mother from Arizona to Colorado. Her items were over 3 weeks late. Many pieces of furniture were badly damaged and broken. Several calls were made to United Van Lines to address our concerns about the late delivery, and, later, to address the amount of breakage. My husband was shuttled from one person to another as this company attempted to evade responsibility for their lack of professionalism. They stated an auditor would be sent to evaluate the extent of the damage - in 6 weeks. It is now late October and there has been no contact from United Van Lines or an auditor.

Today, my husband again spoke with a representative who stated an audit would not take place for an additional 3 months or up to 5 months. Understandably, we are all under strain in operating a business; however, the lack of concern and professionalism as exhibited by United Van Lines is egregious. This is a badly-run company. We would emphatically not recommend United Van Lines for your move.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2021

I chose United Van Lines because of the national brand to move from NH to CO. RED FLAG #1 Moving day- they were 5 hours late to load truck- I tipped the packers as they worked hard. RED FLAG- #2 they used a partner to ship and need me to okay that - It was sister company Mayflower and I felt I had no choice so said okay- They showed up with a partial load because truck was full- I took inventory. They seem annoyed- 22 Missing items. I still tipped the driver and workers for their work.

RED FLAG- #3 "overflow" items still not here 30 days out. They kept telling me it would arrive in a week, then two then three now it will be 5 weeks from the quoted delivery date for my non-authorized overflow items. However I am not optimistic I will ever see these items. (22 of them worth tens of thousands of $$) One is even a scheduled 'high value item".

I know this all sounds bad but the worst part is the lack of customer service- The local rep keeps saying they need to talk to an "agent". Not sure what that means but gets zero results. Then I called 1800-948-4885 and got connected to a woman named Heather in customer service- (this is not an ideal job for her personality). She was so rude and indifferent about my situation- gave her my order number and she also needed to talk with an "agent". (I think this is an internal code for we have no idea where or when the things are and lets just get them off the phone.) I said this was not okay and I was going to dispute with AMEX (I have started that process). She said, "That's fine. We will just dispute it and we always win."

Then I said I wanted to talk with a supervisor- She said it won't matter- So at the end of the day I get it, things happen. Driver shortage... however United Van Lines has done NOTHING to help me out. I have one pair of jeans, 4 pair of underwear and missing artwork, office furniture, a grill, kitchen items and they simply do not care.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2021

I used United Van Lines to move cross country this summer 2021 from San Diego to Wisconsin. This is the third time I've used United Van Lines. Through United Van Lines I was assigned a local agent in San Diego to coordinate my move: Johnson Storage and Moving. The move was supposed to take at least 2 weeks to get to Wisconsin. That date came and went, my moving agent never contacted me until I followed up on my own. Turns out my move went missing. At some point it was supposed to be in TN, then they flat out couldn't find it. Turns out it was still sitting in their warehouse 3 weeks later!

After an amazing number of emails and phone calls with an agent who really seemed to not understand how to help the situation (said she had a lot of issues like this recently) and gave absolutely no transparency nor was she the easiest to get a hold of, I was finally told my move would ship out to Wisconsin. When would it be delivered? No one had a clue. No one could give me an estimated time frame. How is that even the case? You have one job for which I'm paying a lot.

After another week of hounding my agent and then having to call the agent in Wisconsin, I finally got my move delivered - a month after the movers picked it up in San Diego! At this point, I was essentially my own moving coordinator and cut out the agent from San Diego. I received a "delay refund" every day my move was late from customer service. That is at least something. But the clueless, helpless, unprofessional San Diego agent I worked with who "had been doing this 20 years" really made this move complicated and stressful. Absolutely never using United Van Lines again.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2021

It's been two months and I still can't get United Van Lines to tell me when they'll deliver my "overflow"...which was really caused when they decided to put my stuff on a truck with another client and was only able to fit half of my things as the rest of the truck was filled with another person's belongings. They don't return my phone calls and when I actually talk to the people "coordinating" my move I hear that they're waiting on the corporate office to tell them what to do. I have china, Christmas decorations, emergency food, but do not have my bed, the second bedroom, my complete sofa or sectional (both items only had a portion of the furniture delivered), yard tools, tools in general, bookcases to put the books in that they did deliver. I'd be careful about using United Van Lines if you aren't part of a bigger contract like the military or a corporation. As an individual who used them, they certainly don't seem interested in delivering the rest of my items to me.

Original review: July 23, 2021

Paid for 1000 cubic ft. When they picked it up they told my daughter that there were 600 cubic feet and she owed 400 dollars more. Not knowing she paid it. I was told last Friday that I would have to wait and they would call me next week. Tomorrow is next Friday and still no word. Called there several times and still no word.

Original review: July 21, 2021

Updated on 11/09/2021: They damaged many items but more importantly they lost many of my items. Zero compensation for lost goods. Stated that since I signed their papers I had no claim for lost items. Yet I called them immediately and said items had to be missing since 2 trucks to move me out and 1 truck to move me into new home. Hmmm Where are my items? NEVER SIGN ANYTHING UNTIL YOU CHECK EVERY BOX OR THEY GOT YOU. LAWYER IS NEXT.

Original Review: Out of state moving and used them to move and store our items while house shopping. They had us pay more because they had to wrap our items for storage in their facility. Took 1 and 1/3 truck to move us out and 1 truck to move back in. When I asked them where the 2nd truck was they told me it all fit into 1 truck. Many items are missing. My clothing, shoes, tools ladders the list is too long. Also many items were damaged, legs to my dining room table broken, TV smashed to pieces. They packed this all. Tried to speak to management but no return phone call. Of course I am filing a complaint but would not recommend them ever. I have moved 6 times and never had this happen. Worse customer service ever. So so sad.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

United Van Lines Company Information