Find a Movers partner

3.8/5 (1418 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: Sept. 26, 2007

I rented two 26ft U-haul trucks for a oneway trip from Ponca city, OK to Odessa, TX. In Sayre, OK my father was driving one of the trucks going 70 miles per hour down I40 when the tie-rod fell off the Uhaul truck. IT DID NOT BREAK, IT JUST FELL OFF!!!

I was driving behind him and when the accident occured it flung the 26ft truck from the right lane into the left almost tiping over the truck and he skid to a stop over a quarter mile with the front passanger tire completely sideways. He could hardly get out of the truck he was so shaken by the ordeal.

Once the Uhaul repair man arrived, he is the person who told us that the tie rod had not broke, it had just fallen off. His conclution was that someone had not finished the work to the truck before they sent it out on this particular run. If it had not been by the grace of God and my fathers experience, he would be dead right now from the truck flipping over while traveling down the highway.

Uhaul has refunded our rental charge to this truck and is sending me $100 in VIP vouchers (which I don't want). They are considering this to be resonalbe compensation for the accident that occured even though this truck was neglectfully maintained and sent out on a 620 mile trip when it was unfit for the road.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2007

We were told by U-Haul before we picked up our truck that, Colorado Law states that we need to have tow lights on our personal vehicle attached to a tow dolly or we can't drive the U-Haul. The guy there said we could buy them from him, so we did. They are magnetic and they give you two pieces of paper to put underneath them so they do not scratch the paint. Then you have to string the cord to the front and attach it to the trailor itself to make the lights work.

Everything went fine with the truck except the fact that by our feet the U-Haul was about 130 degrees of scorching heat the entire way fron denver to vegas...about 400 miles out of vegas my husband is filling up with gas and notices that the cord strung along the car has worn of all the paint EVERYWHERE it had touched...being as though we were forced to use these stupid lights we were furious...we called U-Haul they said to call Republic Western and submit a claim, i emailed them photos and a scan of our receipt and they said that it is our responsibility to make sure the lights are put on correctly.

We followed all the directions and there is NO OTHER WAY to string that cord to the front without touching your car...AND the paper they give you to put under the magnet wore the paint as well...they denied our claim, now i dont know what to do but try and sue them...i am scared to go to the body shop tomorrow and see what the repair costs will be.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2007

On 8/21/07 I reserved a 26 ft moving truck for 8/31/07 for a 2 day rental within the city of Las Vegas to move my daughter and grandchildren into my home. We were due to pick up the truck under reservation #11546 on 8/31/07 before 5PM. On the morning of 8/31/07 I received a call from the main office saying they would not have a truck available until Sunday 9/2/07. I explained that we had enlisted many people to help move and that that was not acceptable. They said they could maybe get me a truck at considerably more money but could not guarantee that before the Sunday day they had originally given me.

I cancelled the order 8/31/07 at 10:20 am and then I received another call saying that they could have a truck for me on Sunday.

Since we already had a crew standing by to help with the move I got on the phone and called Budget to see if they had a truck for 8/31 or 9/1. Geneva at 800-462-8343 gave me a reservation # of 702-407-8404 and said to pick up a truck at 3175 S. Nellis Blvd., North Las Vegas. Saturday when we arrived they informed me that they had 12 people waiting and 4 trucks. They could not give us a truck. We called Budget who sent us to their main station in Las Vegas at 4475 W. Tropicana, Las Vegas.

Original review: July 9, 2007

The self storage store had a trash bin out front. It had no signs near it saying it was not for storage tenants. I put a couple of boards and a box in the trash. No one came out to tell me not to use the trash. However, Mr. Wilborne saw what was happening. He charged me a $30 fine that I just happened to notice on my computerized bank statement. When I asked him about it, he said it's in your contract. I charged you the minimum. Well that may be so, but that was an expensive trash deposit.

I'm out $30 on my bank account and received absolutely no warning. I like to keep an accurate accounting on what I have in the bank and something like this makes it impossible. Is it legal for a business to tap your account with no warning? If nothing else, it does not seem like a good way of treating customers.

Original review: June 27, 2007

In November, 2005, I reserved a 14' truck over 2 months prior to a very important move in my life. I called the night before to confirm that everything would be ready. They told me that my reservation would not be honored and that I would have to drive 100km to get the nearest truck which is a 28'. They had no other choice for me. They were extremely rude the entire time.

I tried contacting the headquarters in the States and they were even ruder and did not care one bit about the inconvenience they had caused.

I lost a significant amount of money and time but mostly was the most frustrating experiences of my life. After learning the horrible predicament UHAUL intentionally put me in, I had to scour the entire city on the last day of the month in an attempt to find anyone with a truck available - I needed to be out of my apartment that day. After hours and miles of searching I finally got a Budget truck and will obviously NEVER never use UHAUL again.

Original review: June 26, 2007

I wanted to rent a cargo van for a local delivery. Aprox. 4 miles their and 4 back. Advertised price was $19.95 for the day. Aprox. 3hrs later I stopped at the local gas station and put 5 gal. of gas in to return the vehicle with the same amount of gas that I started with. At aprox. $3.00 a gal. I paid $15.00 well more then I had to but better safe then sorry. When I returned the van they went out to check the fuel level and advised me that the needle is not where it is supposed to be, I needed more fuel! they checked the mileage, only 8 miles, but they insisted that I shorted them on the gas and the penalty was a fifty dollar charge. So with smoke coming out of my ears I told them that I did pay for the day and only used 3 hrs. maybe I will just bring it back tomorrow instead! They said I only paid for 3 hours Is'nt $19.95 for the day I asked. They said but we asked you how long you would need the van and you said about 3 hours. So, your contract was a three hour contract? Subsequently I left to put more gas in the van. When I returned I had put a total of $20.00 of gas in for a 8 mile trip. Whats wrong with these people?

Original review: June 26, 2007

This company is so bad I don't know how they stay in business. June 16 I purchased a trailer hitch to be installed June 21. June 21 came and I was told it would have to be done the next day. June 22, same story. Same thing the next day, and the day after, and finally, on June 26, still with no trailer hitch, my husband called and cancelled. During this time I called the customer service number for U-Haul, waited 20 minutes only to have a customer service representative answer, then put me on hold for over an hour. I finally hung up, sent them an e-mail requesting a call. No call was ever received. I sent a second e-mail. Same thing. They did send me an e-mail asking me to call the toll free customer service number (the one that had me on hold previously for over an hour).

I did as they requested, and after another half hour spoke with another customer service representative who said I needed to talk to the District Manager. I was transferred, spoke with the District Manager who claimed to be terribly busy, and took my number and asked if he could call me back. Of course he never did call back. Luckily I paid for the hitch (they require pre-payment to order parts) with a credit card, so the return of my money will not be a problem. U-Haul's policy is that parts are not refundable, but in this case my credit card company will reverse the charges. My advice is if you decide to deal with this company USE A CREDIT CARD. Do not pay cash.

Original review: June 19, 2007

The regional manager, Sheila, phoned me (3:10PM MST, 06/19/07) the day before I was to move, to inform me that the size truck I reserved is not available and a larger size truck is being offered for the same price. I reserved a 10' truck nearly a month in advance. I have never driven a large vehicle and am driving by myself from Utah to Washington State.

I don't need a larger truck, I'm not comfortable driving a larger truck, but what am I to do at the last minute? I have movers at both ends scheduled. I have everything prepared. A company should not be allowed to offer reservations if they can not follow through. And when I tried to ask this Shiela person about it, she became hostile, rude and very threatening with me on the phone. At no point did I raise my voice, verbally attack her or show any personal upset with her. I simply wanted my question answered but she refused to allow me to speak; interrupting me, putting me on hold and threatening to hang up if I didn't shut up!. When I said, calmy, that I needed to speak with someone else, she told me that she was the regional manager and that I wasn't going to get any one else. I have never been treated so horribly in my life.

Not only is it poor business to shuffle truck reservations this way, but it is poor customer service to yell and verbally abuse a customer on the phone. I consider this emotional duress and will never, ever use this company again. I certainly hope someone takes these complaints seriously because there are plenty of them.

Original review: May 24, 2007

We had reserved a U-Haul for a weekend to move my stuff from Bemidji, MN to Portage, WI. Reservation was made a full 2 months ahead of time, paid deposit in advance, had reservation number, etc. The Thursday afternoon prior to our picking up the van on Friday morning my fiance' (now husband) said to call to make sure they had a van. No van was available but the guy said don't worry we should have one though by tommorow if one comes in. We said ok, we trust you (big mistake).

We set off Friday morning, and had 2 other friends who took off work to help with the move. Called U-Hauls number in Minneapolis and said no truck was available but we could pick one up in Minneapolis on the way through. Fine, we thought, after we got to Minneapolis called again and this time they said too bad so sorry no truck. We said we paid in advance and had reservation number, but they literally said oh well, too bad. Talked to manager and he said nothing could be done. We asked what could be done, such as hiring moving company, etc, they replied snottily It's called, YOU HAUL, GET IT ??? WE don't move anything.

And also during same conversation the manager said if we even think of taking them to court they will just tie it up for years and they have a lot of lawyers and yes we will win but not for years. Just very snotty and condescending.

Called Ryder that friday to see if they could do something, they said they have to clean up U-Hauls messes all the time and they were not surprised at all of our problems. They could not help us though all their trucks were out at that time, but they did hook us up for another move later that month for a little bit more. You really get what you pay for, Uhaul may be cheaper AT THE TIME but unreliability and broken down trucks are not worth the savings. We will never rent Uhaul ever and will go with Ryder or Penske regardless of cost.

all 4 of us wasted gas and time and days off from work. frustration and Uhaul took sweet time of 3 months to finally refund deposit. Very sickening that a company would be that unconcerned about customer satisfaction or service, didn't really care that we had a problem.

Original review: May 16, 2007

I am extremely dissatisfied with the treatment I received on Wednesday, May 9, 2007, at the Albemarle Road U-Haul pick-up location and filed a complaint with the regional office. The employee was very uncommunicative and had me

running to the bank for a $100 down payment (which I understood, as we had reserved the vehicle with my girlfriend's credit card), but then told me upon my return that I could not rent the truck unless I showed him the registration card for my own car(!) He had not mentioned that before and was very curt when I asked why he had not mentioned it.

I wasted an entire morning, driving from my home to the
    U-Haul office and back, and making no progress on my move. I had to reschedule a rental with another company. Unfortunately, U-Haul's prices are better than those of the other companies. As I stated U-Haul's regional office, I had used U-Haul in the past and was underwhelmed with its service, and i will not be using U-Haul again. Further, I plan to warn my friends and business colleagues against using the company. Moving is already a stressful situation; a company such as

U-Haul should make it a more pleasant experience, because it has competitors all too willing to fill in the gap of need.

Original review: May 10, 2007

I was able to rent a one way truck. And when I went to the originating source I thought the General Manager (Dominic) was arranging my delivery to the other destination. But he didn't. When I called to get directions the target U-haul store said it didn't have room for my truck. And then they proceeded to have me call many 800 numbers without any u-haul rep able to help me. They finally wanted me to deliver the one way truck to a location very far from where i was. One u-haul store didn't know what the other u-haul store was doing. Next time budget or penske

Additional costs due to the 2 way rental, gas to bring the truck back.

Original review: March 29, 2007

On 3/15/07 I went to U-Haul in Gaithesrburg and made a reservation to rent a truck for 3/31/07. On 3/28/07 U-Haul called me at work to inform me that they will not have a truck and that I am reponsible to call other locations to find a truck. I have spent almost all my morning at work dealing with them. They did not want to make an effort to find a truck even though I made a reservation ahead of time to avoid these problems. I can't believe that U-Haul employees are rude and unconsiderated. They want me to change my arrangements to acomodate their situation.

As a result, I will have to pay the movers for changing the time. I will have to pay one extra day of rent. I have never submitted a complaint before, please let me know what to do. I want from U-haul to keep the same arraingments that we made on the 3/15/07.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2007

I was told during the reservation that I could pick up the truck by 10am. The next morning at 8am I received a phone call stating I had to pick up the truck in the next 30 mins or my credit card will be charged. I picked up the truck, and moved my stuff. I went to Stick and Stuff to pick up a recliner and the truck broke down at their loading dock. I called Roadside Assitance and they gave me an ETA of 1-1.5 hours. 4 hours later, after multiple conflicting stories of when someone was going to come out and help, the Stick and Stuff employees had the truck impounded.

I was left out in the cold and received mutliple conflicting ETA times of when to expect someone to help me. The employees at the Roadside Assistance hotline AND in the store where nothing but rude and unhelpful. They continuly stated they would call me back and never did.

The truck ended up being impounded. Today has been 2 days and they have failed to resolve the issue. THey still cannot locate where the truck was impounded at. My contract has been placed on hold, my credit card charged, and I was left out in the cold for 3 hours and had developed a major head cold as a result. I don't believe anybody should be treated in this manner by a business.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2007

I rented a U-Haul 10 feet truck on 12/28/2006 at 11:31am at AL's Auto Service (Address: 1005 Rosecrans St, San Diego, CA, 92106), and my contract number is 22273790. It was a one way move from San Diego CA to Irvine CA. When I picked up the truck the agent told me there was 1/2 of a fuel tank that is left in the truck. But when he double checked again he said there was only 1/4 of the gas left in the tank and looked like someone had stolen some gas on it. But anyway he modified my contract to reflect the actual gas left in the truck.

When I brought the truck to the gas station to fill up the gas, all the gas was leaking out and spilled all over the ground. It was in a very dangerous situation because gallons of gas had been spilled on the ground and it could cause explosion at any time. I immediately asked for assistance in the gas station. The gas station staff came out and checked my truck and he found that the pipe that connects to the gas tank had been cut off (most likely someone cut it off to steal the gas) and there is no way to fill in the gas. The gas station staff was so upset that I spilled gallons of gas on the ground and asked me to leave immediately.

I called U-Haul roadside assistance at 3:06pm and explained my situation. And I waited till 4:45pm before someone from U-Haul called me back. It took another hour before the mechanic and the part arrived and it took another hour to fix the truck and I had to unload my belongings in a parking lot and the weather was cold and windy. By the time the truck was fixed it was already 7:00pm. It was dark, cold, windy and I had to load my belongings all over again into the truck.

When I arrived Irvine it was already 8:30pm, which I supposed to arrive at 4:30pm and got my key to move in. The management office was closed and I had to spend a night in a hotel. I cannot believe U-Haul never checked the truck before handing into the customer and the roadside assistance phone number was ridiculous.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2006

Months before we moved from FL to MO I reserved a truck and told them I wanted a brand new one. The day of the move we had a truck all right but not a new one. So what can you do, we loaded the truck and we proceeded with our long drive.

We broke down a total of three times in the journey. The final breakdown was at our last exit, under the overpass. The during the whole trip the inside of the truck had fumes so bad that my pregnant daughter & son-in-law had to keep the windows down. We were driving behind them and we could smell the horrid fumes coming out of the truck as well.

After we unloaded and returned the truck I called the manager and told him how dissatisfied I was. He said "that's what you get when you rent a truck. You should have hired a moving company". Isn't that a nice response from a major truck rental company?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2006

I joined The Premier Club in order to pay my bill online, I was not able to pay online but money was taken from my bank account to join. I went to the U-Haul and talked with the manager to explain what happened and also pay my bill on 9-25-06. He told me he would get the matter correct by 9-28-06. If I can not pay online, I would like a credit of the money I was charged.

Money taken from my bank acct. for services not rendered.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2006

We rented a truck and tow dolly from uhaul for a trip from NY to North Carolina. While on the Interstate, we noticed the rear lights on both the truck and tow dolly weren't on when the driver changed lanes. We tthought he forgot to use them. We became seperated and caught up to him hours later close to our destination. When he finally caught up and were able to pull over, he checked the lights and realized they weren't working.

Everyone around that truck was in danger because they weren't warned the truck with a car attached was moving over and this is a moving violation. I have a neck and back injury and to be forced to sit up and try to locate the truck to signal to him that something was wrong with his truck left me in excrutiating pain as I was suppose to lie in the van .We spent the extra money for a tow dolly because I cannot drive long distances.

Original review: July 29, 2006

Uhaul has the worst customer service. I was waiting for a representative to pick up my call for more than 20 minutes on all of the dozen attempts I did. They called me at 3 pm to inform me that they dont have a truck for me. I was expecting to pick up the truck the following day as agreed with them when I ordered their service. I even arrange for loading and unloading help with other contractor. And since I got screwed up on the truck, It was too late for me to call for another truck rental nor cancel the loading and unloading service. I am so angry with Uhaul and I would never ever get their service again, nor would I recommend them.

Original review: May 26, 2006

U-Haul CT of Rainier has charged my credit card $93.38. The correct amount for this change should be $43.38. On the morning of 2/18/2006 I have rented a 14’ truck from UHAUL CT of Rainier. I have used the truck for 20 Miles (as also indicated in the rental forms) and returned it the same day. On the way to returning the truck I have filled up $9.37 worth of gas, which equates to more than 3 gallons of gas. The person who received the truck was Julie Cole, the General Manager of the facility. When I returned the truck she claimed that I have not filled up the gas and charged me an extra $50; $20 for gas (4 gallons at $5), and $30 service fee.

I explained to her I have filled up more than what I have used. I asked her if we could look at the gas meter together, because the gas meter takes a while until it slowly shows the actual amount of gas in the tank. She has however refused to look at the gas meter together and charged me the extra $50. I have tried to resolve this matter by calling the U-Haul regional office however I have not received any response despite my repeated requests. At the time when I filled up the gas, and when I returned the truck, there were 3 more people with me who are willing to testify if necessary.

Original review: May 3, 2006

On April 28th I was promised a 17ft U-haul truck that I reserved in Person the day before at 3:30 PM. I got to U-haul at 3:15 and waited in line until 4:00 to find out that they did not have the truck promised until 5:00. 45 minutes to find out they didn't have the truck. I went back at 5:00 PM and they gave me a beat up truck with 173K and a wobbly front left wheel. I had the truck for 5 hours and put 147 miles on it and my contract said that it was a $20 fee with 2.00 a gallon to fill back up to a half a tank. They charged me $40 fee and 4.00 a gallon. This was totally unsatisfactory and the way theu do business is totally unacceptable.

Original review: April 26, 2006

My wife rented a Uhaul truck from the Burlington, NJ Uhaul center. The contract was for $593.12. The truck was picked up on 04/20/2006. We drove down to Charlotte, NC; where we are moving. When dropping off the truck at the Charlotte, NC Uhaul center, we were advised by their trained employees, including whoever was running the center at the time that I was not responsible for the $593.12. The $593.12 was only an estimate based on how many miles were used and how many days we held the truck. Because the truck was turned in early and the mileage did not exceed the alotted amount, we were only responsible for $158.40. This all according to their well trained staff.

After processing our contract, WHICH UHAUL VERBALLY AGREED would only be the $258.40 and nothing more. we paid $158.40 on top of the $100.00 deposit that was held. I hold a contract receipt for this amount that was paid. This all occurred on 04/22/2006 at 3:15PM. On 04/26/2006, I realized that my account had been overdrawn $623.02. After further review of my account, I took notice of a withdrawal transaction on 04/24/2006 for $593.12 from the Burlington, NJ Uhaul center. I also noticed $210.00 of overdraft fees that have been posted to my account. (7 @ $30.00 each) I contacted the Burlington, NJ Uhaul center and informed them of the issue at hand.

I was informed by Allan Hoffman, Burlington Uhaul 609-387-5005, that the $593.12 was a flat fee that is charged at their end. Tanis, Uhaul manager at Charlotte, NC stated that anybody in their right mind knows that you don't pay $158.40 for a Uhaul truck. She also stated that I should have checked my account and the overdraft fees are not Uhaul's problem.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2005

Uhaul rented a truck to me which had defective brakes which went out while I was driving throught the steep mountains of southern Colorado. I could have died. While their tow truck driver confirmed the problem, Uhaul chose to ignored my request for a new truck and told me to rent an other one.

I had to rent a second truck with over all expenses of over $1000 which they refused to resolve.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2005

On October 24th, 2005 I rented a uhaul and the truck I reserved was not available (bad brakes.) I took a smaller truck and because the truck was smaller Jim(Manager) said he would charge me $.75 a mile. I brought it up that because the truck is smaller I might have to make two trips and Jim said the best he can do is $.49 a mile. Upon returning the truck (October 25th) and paying with my debit card I noticed that I had been charged $.75 a mile and the employee(Jarrod) had trouble returning the difference.

He called Jim and Jim said to leave the papers and he would shred all the documents and return the difference on October 25th and he would call after making the return. I spoke with Jim on October 26th 3 times and he repeatedly said he was gonna credit my card and send me a receipt. I spoke to Adam(uhaul customer rep) and Jim on October 31st and Jim said he was gonna do it no later than November 2nd. The credit was not there and I called again on November 3rd and Jim once again said he was gonna credit it and mailed the receipt off. Still no credit and on November 5th I spoke with another Uhaul rep and Jim and he said he had done it, it just take a while. But he forgot to mail off the receipt. Everytime I called and spoke with Jim he said he was to busy and the paperwork was in the safe and giving me all kinds of excuses about why it hasn't been done. All I would like is to be credited my refund.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2005

I booked a uhaul on line on 08/22 one week in advance for my moving. I didn't get the call from uhaul about the pickup time. I called up the customer support and then they told me that someone will call me. Later on someone from cusotmer support called me one day before and told me to pick up the truck at a location far away from the preferred location. I asked them to give me a closer location. She refused and said that's what i get.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2005

Made reservation for truck rental on July 30. Received confirmation of the reservation. The day before I was to pick up the truck, I received a phone call saying that there may not be a truck available. Because it was the end of the month, none of the other truck rental companies had a truck available either.

The plan was to have the truck on Saturday, load, spend the night at the apartment, get up on Sunday and drive it from Cincinnati to Canton. We were given a truck on Sunday morning, some 25 miles away from our locale. By the time we got the truck back to the apartment, it was almost noon. When I open the door to the van, there was no hand cart (for which I was charged) making us carry extra all of the items to the truck and substantially impeding our loading time.

By the time we finished - it was too late to drive back to Canton, and I spent the night in Cincinnati. However- we had to be out of the apartment by midnight (new tenants were moving in) costing me a night in a hotel. Also, I asked for a 17 foot truck and received a 24 foot one -- costing me additional fuel to get from Cincinnti to Canton for which I was given no compensation other than extra miles. It seems to me that UHaul should not take reservations if they can not accomodate its customers. If they do, they should let customers know that there is a chance a truck would not have been available so that other plans can be made. One day notice is not accomodating their customers nor allowing time to make other arrangements.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2005

My husband and I reserved a Uhual through their website on June 13th for a pick up date of June 25th. After receiving a confirmation number, I called the regional office to double check. They said that we would be receiving a phone call 24 hours prior to pick up to let us know the exact location. After not hearing from uhaul the day before, we called ourselves and waited on hold for over an hour. We finally got through to someone who could help and they told us our pickup location (Crenshaw's Auto Repair on rt 29 in Charlottesville). They told us that we definitely had a truck.

We called Crenshaw's the next morning and the owner said he had no truck for us that Uhaul had tripled booked them. There was nothing he could do. We tried contacting the regional office all day and the phone was busy. Corporate said they couldn't do anything but email the regional office where they would have someone call us within 30 min. (we are still waiting for this phone call). Saturday was a huge mess for we had counted on Uhaul for having a truck for us. We had already hired help and had to be out of our house that weekend. We ended up calling around for hours till we found a truck that was 3X as expensive. Since Saturday June 25th, I have made several calls to the regional office as well as corporate and we have not been able to talk to anyone who can actually help us. We continue to get promises of returned phone calls, but as of today, nobody has returned our calls.

Original review: June 28, 2004

I reserved a 10 foot truck for Radford VA. for 26 June 2004. I received confirmation by E-mail with a confirmation number and indicating the Richmond Regional office would contact me by 500pm on Friday with the specifics confirming the pickup info. By 415 Friday no one called so I called them and they said they did not have a truck and would get back to me as soon as they located one. Well by 615 they didn't call so I called the Uhaul customer service number and was told I have to deal with Richmond.

I told them they were not being responsive but all they did was cut me off and connect me with the Richmond office phone number. At that point they were not answering the phone and it rang and rang. Well they never called friday. We went through the same runaround on Saturday between the customer service peopel and the Richmond offic and never got anything from UHAUL. They promised to call me with status Saturday but never called. All I kept hearing was but sir what do you want me to do if we do not have a truck for you. When I asked what compensation they would give me for my expensesand inconvience they told me they would not charge me the concellation fee if I didn't take the truck when it became available. The bottomline they violated their confirmation agreement and acted like there was no agreement or that they had no obligation to assist me with this problem.

My daughter was moving from Radford Va to Woodbridge VA (about 260 miles). She went to Radford on Friday based on the truck reservation. her aparment lease expired 1 july and she had to have everything by the 30th. Our expenses included the roundtrip to radford. Costs of temporary storage because we could not get a truck to move by Sunday.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2003

We rented a huge truck to move from TX to VA. We loaded everything we owned into this rental truck that costs us approximately $1500.00. We parked the truck in a hotel parking lot and we were leaving for VA the next morning. The truck and everything we owned was stolen! The truck was later found by the police but none of our belongings were in it. After UHaul getting there truck back, they refused to reimburse the rental cost for us because they said they were not at fault. Not only were we out everything we owned but $1500.00 too! I will never rent from them again.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2002

Hi, Last month my wife and I rented a U-Haul truck and purchased the insurance. We loaded the truck up from a storage facility so we could bring it back to San Francisco. We were involved in a collision with the other driver skidding out of control. The truck was not located for 2 weeks. We kept inquiring about the property in the truck. No worry, you have insurance. When my wife and I saw the truck the back was open and the contents gone. We're told by U-Haul they are not responsible for theft, or act of God. We also were charged for renting the truck for one week, and we didn't have the truck but one day. The accident was reported the next day after my wife and I got out of the hospital.

U-Haul Company Information