Find a Movers partner

3.9/5 (1982 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Top U-Haul Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I rented a truck from the U-Haul location in San Angelo, Texas back in February of 2014. I also rented a storage room from them at the same time. This had to have been the best cu...

Verified

Wanted to take a minute and review my experience with U-Haul - it was the best! … The people at both ends of the U-Haul companies were so nice, extremely courteous and very helpfu...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

How does U-Haul work?

U-Haul rents moving trucks for local and long-distance moves. Because U-Haul has so many locations, it’s easy to request a truck for a last-minute move. An online reservation, however, doesn’t confirm an exact location, time of pickup or truck size — it only indicates a preference. Be sure to call your preferred U-Haul location ahead of time to check on availability and have flexible plans so you can pick up a truck at another location if necessary.

U-Haul price

U-Haul’s local moves have the following base rates:

• 10-foot truck ($19.95/day): Good for studio apartments.
    • 15-foot or 17-foot truck ($29.95): Good for a two-bedroom apartment.
    • 20-foot or 26-foot truck ($39.95): Good for a three-bedroom home

Long-distance moves with U-Haul cost significantly more. For a 1,000-mile move, expect prices close to the following:

Truck typeEstimated price
    10-foot $1,350
    15-foot $1,400
    20-foot $1,700
    26-foot$2,100

U-Haul moving services

U-Haul provides additional services to help renters and owners with their moves.

• Insurance: U-Haul’s most popular insurance plan is the SafeMove plan. It includes a damage waiver, which reduces the amount you owe if you damage the rental truck. The plan also comes with cargo, medical and life coverage.
    • Storage: Certain U-Haul locations offer free 30-day storage, which is a big perk most other moving companies cannot match.
    • Roadside assistance: For a flat $5 fee, renters can tack on roadside assistance. We recommend this — especially at such a low price.

Additional paid services from U-Haul include loading and unloading, packing, furniture assembly and disassembly, moving supplies and trailer hitches.

U-Haul FAQ

Does U-Haul charge per mile?
    For local moves, yes, U-Haul charges from 59 cents to 99 cents per mile. U-Haul does not have per-mile charges for long-distance moves.
    Is it cheaper to rent a U-Haul one way?
    Yes, one-way rentals are cheaper for long-distance moves. U-Haul has locations all across the nation, so plan to drop off the truck at your destination. For in-town moves, however, one-way rentals might not be cheaper.
    How many miles per gallon does a 15-foot U-Haul get?
    A 15-foot U-Haul truck gets 10 miles to the gallon without cargo.
    Does U-Haul have unlimited miles?
    No. Local moves have per-mile fees, and long-distance moves have mileage limits.

Is U-Haul worth it?

Although U-Haul has more fees than most people expect, a long-distance move with U-Haul is still considerably cheaper than using a traditional full-service moving company. Local moves are also an affordable option. For consumers who want to save money and are willing to do the labor and driving themselves, U-Haul is a worthwhile option.

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: July 29, 2021

This review is more about my experience with U-Haul's customer service - than the actual rental of the truck, which unfortunately, did not go as planned in the beginning. Bottom line is that I had to go to 3 different places before I could find the 26 feet truck that I had reserved. Having said that, I have to admit that I had never dealt with such a superb and sincerely concerned about me getting a truck, customer support representatives before! I spoke with 4 different scheduling managers. They each tried to help me get a truck, regardless of geographical boundaries.

I lived in NYC but for personal reasons, I reserved my truck out of Newark, NJ. They were very polite, very understanding, and they really went out of their way to help me find the size of truck that I needed for my move. But what really took me by surprise and made it all worth the minor inconvenience is that after I got to Florida and sent an email to their customer service, within 3 hours, Mr. Nick **, I believe a supervisor, judging by the way he was talking, was on the phone with me.

He explained to me that because so many people are moving out of the NY/NJ area, and very few people are moving from Florida to NY, they have to depend on their customers for when they will be dropping their trucks off and at which location and etc.. Obviously, that made a lot of sense but I was not aware of that when I wrote my email. Nonetheless, he was very apologetic about the inconvenience that I had experienced and he went out of his way, to make sure that I was happy with the resolution - and I was!!! Thank you Mr. Nick ** and it was a real pleasure talking with you!

Original review: June 24, 2021

I have had to rent a few hauls over the past 2 months for work and each representative I've spoken with has been wonderful. They've helped me move drop off locations and pick up times, easily changed from 1 to 2 trucks and every time it's been quick and seamless. When it comes to moving anything, it's really no fun but when it's made easier with timely, friendly service - it makes the process that much better. I wish I had names of the gentlemen I've worked with but I made a point to create an account with ConsumerAffairs to leave a review other than with U-Haul themselves. Thank you!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2021

It was easy to rent a moving van from this moving company. My aunt and I put a down payment down for it but it wasn't that much. All I had to do was refill the truck back up with the same gas amount that was in it when she purchased it for me. All you need is license and no negative history with the company. If you have an accident you will be charged and refundable deposit will be kept.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Moved from Chicago to Florida. They were very professional, packed what I wanted them to, tv’s, lamps, etc. Took apart Furniture and reassembled at new home. The best part was they stored it while waiting for the closing.

Original review: April 14, 2021

In these days & times, during Covid-19, with a lot of people out of work, & less money to work with, it helps when you can get things like moving accomplished, but with half the cost. Now you still have to be wise in your choice of companies that you choose to work with in the end, but you will save a lot of money by packing yourself, renting your own truck, & doing the driving yourself. The only thing you will need the 2-3 guys for, would be to meet you at your old place & load everything onto your truck, then follow you to your new place, & unload everything off of your truck. After the job is done, you will give them the payment code that they turn in to Moving Helpers, to be paid for the completed job; that's it.

I have used them successfully several times, in & out of state. My sons use them when they were in college, & job transferring. We have never had a problem, & we saved a lot of money by packing & securing the truck & driving ourselves. You will have several companies, within your area to choose from. Everything is done online. Tipping is left up to the customer. I always did, because I felt like they earned it.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

My reservation was for a truck and moving blankets to be picked up at 1 pm on a Friday. U-Haul called me and changed the pickup location to another city because, as I found out later, my truck was rented to another customer. This is not the first time I have experienced U-Haul's first come first serve policy regardless of reservations, but it will be my last! The new location had no moving blankets, did not inspect the truck, and called me while I was driving from the airport to the location to check me in and tell me where I could pick up a key (at a local furniture store).

Everything was done via phone and text and then I was checked in as having taken the truck before I ever arrived. There was no registration information in the truck or any copy of my rental agreement. Fortunately, I was not stopped by police during the drive to Massachusetts. They are stripped down bare bones cabs with no insulation. The truck was very loud and handled poorly. Gas mileage is nowhere near the estimated 10MPG.

On returning the truck: U-Haul apparently will grant a rental franchise to anyone. This convenience store had some retail items in disarray in the back. They were put out I was bringing back blankets. They asked me to back the truck into a tight space after they checked in. They were not able to give me a receipt or any return paperwork. They said they would email it to me. When I got it is was all zeros no confirmation of final payment if any. I returned the truck a day early and expected a credit. The phone app and the computer app they were using both had technical issues and could not pull up the truck I was returning. I am done with the poor customer service that U-Haul provides. There is no value in renting from that company.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2021

We ordered 4 boxes for one month. We basically got 2 boxes at a time for one week. What they don't tell you is that the boxes are attached to trailers that you don't rent, so even if you get the boxes you ordered, you are at the scheduling whim of the trailers. We have gotten phone calls nearly every day wanting the trailers. But our stuff is on there! So, they keep taking our stuff. After talking to Head Office is was explained to us that they were supposed to use a forklift to place the boxes on the driveway and not keep them on a trailer.

Initially delivered two boxes. Had to fill those as they needed the trailer. Took those away and brought the other two. Filled those and took them to the new house. They phoned again needing the trailer on the day before we had scheduled people to empty them. Insisted on taking our 2 boxes the day before the move. Did not give us another option. Refused to work with us. The GM talked over us and just repeats what he wants until he gets it. Pawned me off on the transit manager who was supposed to call within 15 mins. Never got the call and had to call them. As soon as the woman on the phone saw which account this related to her demeaner drastically changed. One word answers and she hung up on us. Extremely rude and unprofessional.

When picking up the trailers the day before our move the GM was incredibly rude to both my partner and I. He banged on our door VERY loudly and just walked away. Wouldn't talk to my partner. Just pointed at our car that I guess he wanted moved yet again. They also broke the neighbor's fence when placing the original trailer at new place. When we mentioned this the GM could not have cared less. Told us the neighbor would have to file a complaint. No apology. Nothing. Called to complain about the behavior of the GM and the second person we talked to was very rude as well and insisted that they talk to me as they refused to talk to my partner. She ended up hanging up on us. Very professional.

We had to constantly shift our plans around to suit their trailer schedule. We were never given an option. They would just show up and take our stuff without a care in the world as to how it would affect our move. When we insisted that they return our stuff on moving day they just gave us a string of excuses and hung up on us AGAIN. We never even came close to getting what we paid for. There has been no offer to compensate us for their schedule extending our move. Quite the opposite, they hounded us for $13 we apparently owed them.

I'm a 46 year old professional and I have never in my 46 years on this planet been treated with such a lack of respect. The GM's arrogant and flippant attitude was stunning to both myself and my partner. This was single handedly the most negative moving experience I have ever encountered. I would avoid this location at all costs and certainly do not use their box service. We will be seeking compensation for all of the above but I highly doubt anything will come of it but more hang ups.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

On September 20th I reserved a 10' truck and car dolly for my move from Vancouver WA to Salem, OR on October 1st. I was told that I would be called the day before to confirm the pickup location. Well I was called this morning and was informed that I have to go 14 miles into Portland to pick up the equipment. Why? There are three locations within a few miles of me. I asked and was told the other locations don't have the equipment. Well take it there because I'm paying you good money. I will never use Uhaul again. Every time I do it is a nightmare. Moving is stressful enough without this.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

‎Thursday, ‎September ‎23, ‎2021

I am submitting this complaint against the Uhaul Corporation. In October of 2020 I rented a trailer from Uhaul and I was moving from Sacramento California to Sioux Falls, South Dakota. My first leg of the trip was from Sacramento to Reno, Nevada. After pulling the trailer over one of the highest mountain passes in California, we got a hotel room because something was definitely wrong with the trailer. My 20 year old son was following me in his BMW Z4 and we got like a Go camera so he could videotape the drive just in case something went wrong. Well it did.

The next morning we went to a local Uhaul dealer in Reno and explained to them what was happening. They in turn told us we must have loaded it wrong and to repack it. And assured us this was a normal thing and they were sure that was the problem and that the trailer was safe to pull. So my son and I spent all day repacking the trailer and then hooked it up to my truck again and took it for a test drive. The trailer was still bouncing all over the road and I felt like it was going to go off the road and take my truck with it. So we thought okay let's try it again but this time I discarded more of my personal belongings in hopes that would help to alleviate the problem.

Please note; I had already left behind almost every piece of furniture I owned because this was not a large trailer. So now I am just discarded items that were things that could not be replaced by any monetary amount offered. But now day 3 in Reno and I had a job I was suppose to start in less than 2 days. We had to get to Sioux Falls soon. So now after discarding my personal belongings and please note I was not even close to the maximum weight allowable. So again we do a test drive and the trailer was still bouncing all over the place and I was terrified of pulling it with my truck. Well another night in Reno and the next day I told my son I could not bring myself to pull that trailer. I knew something more than way I packed it was wrong.

So I had paid extra for coverage on the trailer if something happened. And I called the number on my contract with Uhaul and told them that I was unable to pull the trailer and Uhaul sent a mechanic out from another company they subcontract with. The mechanic checked under the trailer and in no more than 5 minutes stated it must have been in a crash or something and he could see where some things were repaired but the leaf springs had not been touched and that there was no way Uhaul and inspected or safety checked this trailer.

I have videos and pictures of everything he had pointed out and he confirmed how lucky I had been while pulling this trailer and he was not even comfortable to pull it less than 2 miles a way to another business subcontracted with uhaul where I was suppose to pick up a different trailer. (Please note in the pictures I have there Is a brand new sticker on the trailer that said it had just been inspected within the last 10 days.) Anyhow now I have proof of a video of me pulling the trailer with my truck and it bouncing all over the highway. You can literally see truck drivers passing me and actually driving on the outside on the far side of their lane because of how dangerous it was. Now I have a mechanic's testimony and pictures of all the mechanical failures of this trailer.

So now we go to this lot and of course wait and wait and wait until finally someone returned a trailer. Which of course the people at this business treated me and my son so badly, I mean terrible disrespect because the had promised that trailer to someone else and now uhaul I'm sure knowing they had extremely screwed up forced them to give us that trailer. Well it was almost closing time for them and in no way were they going to help us empty or reload the other trailer. They actually told us we had less than an hour to do this or the trailer with all my belongings would be locked in the yard and they would not give me any promises regarding the safety of my items and had even made statements how the yard had been broken into numerous times and it was in a very bad area.

So my son and I had less than an hour to empty and repack and it was 98 degrees that day. I want you to know those business owners and employees were nothing short of monsters and I suffer from Afib a very high risk heart condition and I thought I was going to have a stroke and my son literally killed himself to make this happen and to protect what little I had left.

So another day and finally on our way. Now the reality of that I could never make it in time to secure the job I was late to start. But now we had a problem with weather. If everything went as planned I would have had 4 days before the 1st South Dakota snow storm. But not only that my son absolutely cannot drive his car safely in snow or ice. But because of the delay now it's snowing in Rapid City, South Dakota and the main highway is closed. So now we had to go around the storm and get to Sioux Falls, South Dakota by going way out of our way thru Nebraska. Again more hardship and more financial costs with extra gas and hotels, etc. It took us over 7 days to get to Sioux Falls. By that time I had no job, and now had no options of renting a townhouse we had setup. No employment. I can also provide proof of losing the job with a written or verbal statement from the manager who had hired me.

So now I have to find a hotel to stay at that would accept 150 lb dog and my cat. Not easy and not cheap. I ended up completely spending everything in my savings on just surviving until I could find another job and then move into the townhouse. It took almost 2 months and all my savings almost $10,000.00. I had to rent 2 storage units for my personal belongings and 1 for my son's vehicle which could not be left in the snow. The townhouse we were to rent had a garage. All these expenses and all the loss would never had happened if Uhaul would have done what they are contractually and legally liable to do is to safety check and inspect the trucks and trailers that I paid 4X their normal amount to rent.

Not only did they falsely claim to have inspected this trailer, they had raised their rental fees 4X more than they had just 6 months prior and I can prove this they took advantage of having the monopoly on this business and price gouged all the customers that were leaving California at that time by the thousands. Also to rent a trailer from South Dakota to California was like said 1/4 less than going the other direction or go to South Dakota from Arizona and the cost was 1/2 or less than they were charging people leaving California. People leaving because of quarantine and the riots and the danger. How nice for this company to go to the utmost extreme of taking advantage of people during the pandemic. I have no doubt they ignored and/or shortcutted their safety policies because they were making 4X more profit.

So to make matters worse I finally was contacted by an employee from Uhaul after emailing them about what happened and wanting a refund, etc. I have voice mails to prove they did contact me. They gave me $200 for me and my son having to reload the trailer since their policy is to have their staff do this. But the woman I spoke with promised and again I say promised to call me in a few days and we would come to a financially benefitting settlement. She never returned my call at all, NOTHING!!! I tried to contact her, unable to. I tried to speak with someone who knew what was going on. I must have had to tell this story 20 times and all I got was more empty promises and lies.

At this point I had to focus on just surviving. And it has taken almost 11 months to get on my feet. It has not been easy. And my son and I still suffer hardship because the money in my savings was suppose to buy furniture. My kid sleeps on a couch from the thrift store and we barely have furniture at all. No kitchen table, no dressers, etc. I am still experiencing loss because Uhaul did not safety check a trailer they rented to me and also promised to make it right financially and just blatantly lied and lied.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

Had a car in the shop. Saw the 19.95 per day ad on the side of rental van. Went in to rent van. Actual price was $44 per day after all fees, plus mileage. Was told van was full of gas. Was five gallons down. Will never deal with them again.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

U-Haul Company Information