Find a Movers partner

3.7/5 (962 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About U-Haul

U-Haul is well known for supplying truck rentals and packing supplies to do-it-yourself movers across the nation. U-Haul advertises trucks for $19.95 per day for local moves, but long-distance moves costs significantly more. Additional charges include fuel, damage protection and environmental fees. Even with these expenses, U-Haul can be a budget-friendly option.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Pros

• Economical choice
    • Roadside assistance
    • Nationwide availability

Cons

• Preferences not guaranteed

Bottom Line

U-Haul, when used appropriately, is an affordable option for DIY movers, especially for local moves. Be aware of extra fees and make sure to understand that a reservation is not a final confirmation.

Top U-Haul Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I rented a truck from the U-Haul location in San Angelo, Texas back in February of 2014. I also rented a storage room from them at the same time. This had to have been the best cu...

Verified

Wanted to take a minute and review my experience with U-Haul - it was the best! … The people at both ends of the U-Haul companies were so nice, extremely courteous and very helpfu...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

How does U-Haul work?

U-Haul rents moving trucks for local and long-distance moves. Because U-Haul has so many locations, it’s easy to request a truck for a last-minute move. An online reservation, however, doesn’t confirm an exact location, time of pickup or truck size — it only indicates a preference. Be sure to call your preferred U-Haul location ahead of time to check on availability and have flexible plans so you can pick up a truck at another location if necessary.

U-Haul price

U-Haul’s local moves have the following base rates:

• 10-foot truck ($19.95/day): Good for studio apartments.
    • 15-foot or 17-foot truck ($29.95): Good for a two-bedroom apartment.
    • 20-foot or 26-foot truck ($39.95): Good for a three-bedroom home

Long-distance moves with U-Haul cost significantly more. For a 1,000-mile move, expect prices close to the following:

Truck typeEstimated price
    10-foot $1,350
    15-foot $1,400
    20-foot $1,700
    26-foot$2,100

U-Haul moving services

U-Haul provides additional services to help renters and owners with their moves.

• Insurance: U-Haul’s most popular insurance plan is the SafeMove plan. It includes a damage waiver, which reduces the amount you owe if you damage the rental truck. The plan also comes with cargo, medical and life coverage.
    • Storage: Certain U-Haul locations offer free 30-day storage, which is a big perk most other moving companies cannot match.
    • Roadside assistance: For a flat $5 fee, renters can tack on roadside assistance. We recommend this — especially at such a low price.

Additional paid services from U-Haul include loading and unloading, packing, furniture assembly and disassembly, moving supplies and trailer hitches.

U-Haul FAQ

Does U-Haul charge per mile?
    For local moves, yes, U-Haul charges from 59 cents to 99 cents per mile. U-Haul does not have per-mile charges for long-distance moves.
    Is it cheaper to rent a U-Haul one way?
    Yes, one-way rentals are cheaper for long-distance moves. U-Haul has locations all across the nation, so plan to drop off the truck at your destination. For in-town moves, however, one-way rentals might not be cheaper.
    How many miles per gallon does a 15-foot U-Haul get?
    A 15-foot U-Haul truck gets 10 miles to the gallon without cargo.
    Does U-Haul have unlimited miles?
    No. Local moves have per-mile fees, and long-distance moves have mileage limits.

Is U-Haul worth it?

Although U-Haul has more fees than most people expect, a long-distance move with U-Haul is still considerably cheaper than using a traditional full-service moving company. Local moves are also an affordable option. For consumers who want to save money and are willing to do the labor and driving themselves, U-Haul is a worthwhile option.

U-Haul Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about U-Haul?

Original review: July 29, 2021

This review is more about my experience with U-Haul's customer service - than the actual rental of the truck, which unfortunately, did not go as planned in the beginning. Bottom line is that I had to go to 3 different places before I could find the 26 feet truck that I had reserved. Having said that, I have to admit that I had never dealt with such a superb and sincerely concerned about me getting a truck, customer support representatives before! I spoke with 4 different scheduling managers. They each tried to help me get a truck, regardless of geographical boundaries.

I lived in NYC but for personal reasons, I reserved my truck out of Newark, NJ. They were very polite, very understanding, and they really went out of their way to help me find the size of truck that I needed for my move. But what really took me by surprise and made it all worth the minor inconvenience is that after I got to Florida and sent an email to their customer service, within 3 hours, Mr. Nick **, I believe a supervisor, judging by the way he was talking, was on the phone with me.

He explained to me that because so many people are moving out of the NY/NJ area, and very few people are moving from Florida to NY, they have to depend on their customers for when they will be dropping their trucks off and at which location and etc.. Obviously, that made a lot of sense but I was not aware of that when I wrote my email. Nonetheless, he was very apologetic about the inconvenience that I had experienced and he went out of his way, to make sure that I was happy with the resolution - and I was!!! Thank you Mr. Nick ** and it was a real pleasure talking with you!

Original review: June 24, 2021

I have had to rent a few hauls over the past 2 months for work and each representative I've spoken with has been wonderful. They've helped me move drop off locations and pick up times, easily changed from 1 to 2 trucks and every time it's been quick and seamless. When it comes to moving anything, it's really no fun but when it's made easier with timely, friendly service - it makes the process that much better. I wish I had names of the gentlemen I've worked with but I made a point to create an account with ConsumerAffairs to leave a review other than with U-Haul themselves. Thank you!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 17, 2021

It was easy to rent a moving van from this moving company. My aunt and I put a down payment down for it but it wasn't that much. All I had to do was refill the truck back up with the same gas amount that was in it when she purchased it for me. All you need is license and no negative history with the company. If you have an accident you will be charged and refundable deposit will be kept.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Moved from Chicago to Florida. They were very professional, packed what I wanted them to, tv’s, lamps, etc. Took apart Furniture and reassembled at new home. The best part was they stored it while waiting for the closing.

Original review: April 14, 2021

In these days & times, during Covid-19, with a lot of people out of work, & less money to work with, it helps when you can get things like moving accomplished, but with half the cost. Now you still have to be wise in your choice of companies that you choose to work with in the end, but you will save a lot of money by packing yourself, renting your own truck, & doing the driving yourself. The only thing you will need the 2-3 guys for, would be to meet you at your old place & load everything onto your truck, then follow you to your new place, & unload everything off of your truck. After the job is done, you will give them the payment code that they turn in to Moving Helpers, to be paid for the completed job; that's it.

I have used them successfully several times, in & out of state. My sons use them when they were in college, & job transferring. We have never had a problem, & we saved a lot of money by packing & securing the truck & driving ourselves. You will have several companies, within your area to choose from. Everything is done online. Tipping is left up to the customer. I always did, because I felt like they earned it.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

They are a stain on my first time home buying experience. 1) I booked the moving help service through U-Haul, and the moving company contacted me and told me they couldn't work with my time. So I had to cancel and re-book, using the credit they gave me. However their credit does not fully cover the cost of re-booking through their site. I literally re-booked within a couple of hours and the prices were drastically different. Expect to pay an extra $40-80. 2) I had questions when I was trying to book my new reservation and decided to use their chat function. After typing in my question, I received a reply saying I would be responded to within 1 minute. I never got a response. I waited for over 30 minutes before closing the chat.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

I did the 24/7 pick up and the app wouldn't let me take a photo so I couldn't advance. Had to call them and wait on the phone for 10 minutes to get someone...who promptly hung up on me! Then I called back and she hung up on me again. I'm at this point 20 minutes trying to pick up a simple truck. Finally got through to someone who let me just email my photos and ID so I could get my keys. Then when bringing it back it wouldn't let me take a photo of the mileage and gas tank. Then I get a bill for $133 on what was supposed to be a $75 bill and their wait time to speak to anyone today is over 20 minutes. I will not use this company again. Biggest hidden cost expensive hassle I've ever dealt with.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

I have reserved a 10' truck online. They asked for all of the information about me: Address, a credit card and phone number, date of birth etc.... When I got to the location to pick up the truck they asked for two more phone numbers. Yes, for them is not enough one or two but three phone numbers. This is absolutely ridiculous. Pretty much they need the phone numbers of your entire family in order to rent a truck for 4 hours. I gave up and went to Home depot and rented a truck.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

Do not hire Moving Help of U-Haul. They are fraud. They do not show up, do not provide services and do not refund money. I hired Moving help to unload U-Haul truck. They did not show up. When I called them, they told me to cancel the services. I had to hire another moving services. Had to take another day off. Paid premium for emergency services. Paid one addition day rent of the U-Haul truck. Moving Help will not refund my money. They told me to contact the movers. Movers told me that Moving Help did not pay them money. Moving help gave me a code to give movers when service is completed. Movers did not show up and I did not give them code. Without code they are not paid.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2021

I'm not trying to disrespect their rental services; in fact their services are adequate for almost any person. My huge complaint here is with their customer service department. After having a heated but civil disagreement with a what I assume to be regional manager of some sort about a scheduling issue with a freight pickup I understood that the CS department has their thumbs way too far up their rear ends to care about anything that customer has to say. Keep in mind they are well within their rights to do this but they would rather lose a loyal customer and any future business with that customer than offering even the smallest amount of compensation towards a future rental with their business as a sign of good faith over a scheduling issue with a $20 trailer rental.

If that doesn't scream "We only care about our bottom line" then I don't know what does. The main point to take away from this is unless your moving plan goes without any problems or issues every step of the way then I would rent else whereas I don't think U-Haul's century old customer service model will help you very much.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

U-Haul Company Information