Protected Van Lines

Protected Van Lines' goal is your satisfaction. Providing our customers with professional and courteous moving experts, we ensure your move - whether around the corner or across the country - is handled with the care you deserve. We offer packing services, residential and commercial moves, and auto transport. Contact us today for a customized moving plan.

Compare Moving Companies

Research top Moving Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Protected Van Lines moved me from Wisconsin to Arizona. All in all, it went really well. Their moving consultants were really helpful and the pack up was great. I packed my stuff and then they picked it up and brought it. The guy that picked up my stuff was amazing. I really liked him. But on the other end, during the unloading there was a couple of things that were dropped where my plasma TV was setup on its end. I'm not sure if that's even gonna work. They're in storage right now, but I think that I’ve got a gouge. The unpacking crew told us we had nine months to file a claim. I hope my TV did not ride all the way to Arizona sideways but I won't know till I plug it in and that will be the end of August when I get into my house. So I'm not happy about that but other than that they were excellent and I recommend them.

I was happy with the service of Protected Van Lines. The reps were very helpful. Any time I had a question when I called, they were immediately responsive. If I wasn't talking to the right person, they would have that person call me back right away. The crew was very good, too. They worked very hard and they were pretty efficient. However, when I moved to an apartment on the 5th floor with the destination, and while they were in the process of that, the lead person said to me, "You know, if I called this and then count how many steps were taken from the truck to your apartment, they are gonna ask for more money. But you can just pay me. If you want to pay me some money, I won't call it in."

I told him I didn't have money and I wouldn't pay him because it wasn't in the contract. I found that upsetting and that's why I told Nancy, because if he does this to enough people it's going to hurt their business. I felt Protected Van Lines was a very good business to deal with and I wouldn't want anything to happen to them because of his behavior. I did give them all a tip that was small. The other two men had nothing to do with this conversation. One of them came and said he was embarrassed, but I gave them each $20. I said to them that I was not giving them this money because I was bullied or coerced into paying them anything. I did because I thought they had done a good job. One of them even hugged me. Other than that one little incident, they really worked very hard and there was nothing broken and I was pleased.

Protected Van Lines did a great job scheduling a move of a one-bedroom apartment from Charlotte, NC to my home in Sterling, VA. Their staff provided updates prior to the day of the move, and I received a phone call from the movers 30 minutes prior to their arrival at the apartment. They arrived on time, wrapped all furniture, and everything was delivered on time and in perfect condition. I would recommend Protected Van Lines to anyone who needs to schedule a move.

The one star is for the sales experience. They certainly sell extremely well. Where to start? DO NOT USE PROTECTED VAN LINES. They can't even commit to an exact moving date until 9 hours before you move. This is not a moving company. This is a broker. You will not be moved by a company called Protected Van Lines. Instead you may get a no name mover with a truck, who may or may not be experienced at moving. They may requote your job based on what you move looks like, and when you call PVL, you'll reach a full mailbox. So you'll pay. Because you're moving. It will take hours longer than it ever has to move, and on several occasions you'll be angry because their inexperience is endangering your stuff.

Finally, as the truck is loaded, you'll be told: "We have up to 21 days to get this to you". Which will be the first time you've heard this number. Your stuff might get where you want it, roughly around the time you expected, but probably not, and if, like me, you're sitting on a camp chair after 2 weeks, cancelling work commitments "just in case" a van shows up. You'll wonder how you were such as sucker as to have signed up for this torture.

I got 8 calls a day from this company when they wanted our business. Now, when we are trying to find out where our stuff is, they won't answer our calls. There is a clear pattern that Protected Van Lines follows. They estimate your shipment over the phone, and it ALWAYS comes out that you have more stuff and owe them more money. The movers they contract with are the bottom of the moving company barrel! They show up late, they take longer than estimated, and they are generally not very careful with your stuff.

We had stuff put in storage. When we finally got it delivered (late!) things were covered in pollen and moldy. And, we found out (after we paid because they won't unload the truck until you pay) that we only had a partial delivery. We were told that the rest of our stuff would be delivered in a few days. A week later, a small delivery was made, but still not all of our stuff! We have a dining room set with a China cabinet and table, but no table top. The same for our kitchen table. The mirror for my dresser is also missing, as well as a cedar chest that was handed down to me and has a lot of sentimental value. An entire box of my china is missing as well. Thank goodness we paid with a credit card so we can dispute the charges!

Do yourself a favor and stay far, far away from this company! They'll tell you that are a five star business. They aren't. I'm convinced any good reviews they have are fake! They will tell you that they will save you money. You won't. They estimate low and charge you later. They have no customer service. You can not get a hold of anyone once you've agreed to do business with them. And you will be dealing with multiple company names making it difficult to contact anyone or trace anything! The movers they contract with are not professional. Your stuff will be wrecked, if you even get your stuff!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protected Van Lines?

DO NOT USE this company. I repeat do not use! Worst experience ever. Ryan the sales guy got our quote TOTALLY wrong and then our price doubled once Heidi confirmed. It was too late at that point to cancel. It was a week before our move. They sub out their movers so only God knows who shows up to do the job. Alexis never called me back to confirm our exact moving time. I was given 3 time frames!!! We waited on Tuesday Sept 19th ALL day for them to show up. They never showed. So they finally show on sept 21st. They barely spoke English!!! We were promised that we could use a credit card. Well the sub company couldn't take it. When trying to call Protected Van Lines for help they were not helpful AT ALL and never came up with a solution. Instead "Micah" or Mike hung up on me!!! Sub company is Interstate Best Moving out of St Louis. They all smoked like freight trains and I'm just appalled at the whole situation.

Never again will I use this company. I'm reporting them to the BBB and will tell everyone I know how awful my experience has been. When you pay a lot of money for a big move you expect nothing less than the best. My boxes were not labeled. They basically went to Home Depot bought boxes and showed up with a 28ft truck to do the job. I have over a 3,000 Sq ft home. My stuff most likely won't fit in a 28ft truck or else it will all be broken. Unprofessional, Rude and Fake is how I would best describe Protected Van Lines and Interstate Best Moving. Do yourself a favor and use a company who doesn't sub out people. Use a local company and meet your movers ahead of time. Lesson learned for me! Stinks that this lesson cost me $10,000. Again DO NOT USE this company!!!

Protected Van Lines did not live up to a single promise made, is impossible to communicate with, and lost part of our items with no resolution. I had so many issues with this move. I will just try and summarize the major issues. I contracted Protected Van Lines (PVL) on 8/1/2016 to move my daughter's belongings from Mooresville, NC to Chicago, IL. I told Paul ** at PVL exactly the number of boxes, sizes and furniture that we would be moving. He estimated the weight at 1477 pounds and said we would have to pay the 2000 pound minimum. The total charge would be $1786, "one quote guaranteed". He told me the move would take 3-10 business days. Job number was **.

The movers showed up on 8/4/2016. They loaded the truck and then came in with a pre load weight ticket and an estimate of 2500 pounds. This added $275 to the price. I did not believe that the weight was higher than 2000 pounds and they promised me they would go by the scales to get another weight ticket with my stuff on board and email it back to me. This never happened as much as I begged for it.

I began calling on a regular basis to try and find out when my stuff would be delivered. I only got voice mail, and could not seem to get a call back. The only time I could get this company to call me back was during their sales job, before I signed the papers. The movers themselves finally called and said they would deliver on 8/23 in the evening or 8/24 in the morning. They didn't show up on 8/23 and never called so my daughter had to take off work. They never showed the next day and never called. Calls to them and PVL went to voice mail. They finally showed up, exactly 21 business days later on 8/25. They added $275 for a "long walk" of 50 feet. Total cost for this move ended up being $2283.50. I don't believe any of the extra cost was warranted, but they would not unload the truck until they were paid.

They did not check the items against the manifest. My daughter had to leave for the airport. They did not deliver a desk and 4 very valuable boxes (estimated value $2000). I cannot get anyone to return my calls from PVL. One of the boxes had legs to a table in them, and the doors to a TV Console. This renders these items useless. My daughter asked about the desk and the movers said it was not on the manifest, which was a lie. The reason I am writing this complaint is because no one will return my calls about the missing items and because they increased the cost of my move by close to $500 without a valid reason and we had no option except to pay it if we wanted our stuff.

I am so mad at myself for not reviewing this company before doing business with them. If I had, I would have seen their "F" rating on BBB and negative reviews on YELP and would not have gone this route. This was a very bad experience for us, and I would warn anyone who is considering doing business with them to not do it.

BEWARE! Hiring this company is a nightmare. They will subcontract your move so you have no idea who you are signing up to work with. They subcontracted my move to a company with an F from the Better Business Bureau. The movers showed up 8 hours late and I am still waiting for a delivery of my stuff over a month after it was picked up. When I contacted Protected Van Lines for help I was told they can't do anything (and aren't willing to) because the moving company is not violating the law for delivery time yet. Please save yourself the heartache and hire better movers! This place needs to be put out of business.

tl;dr They didn't show up on our moving day. They didn't try to help us, and over a month later, we still don't have a full refund.

Moving is stressful enough. These brokers left us in a lurch. I guess we should have gone with a mover who handles your stuff from point A to point B. Instead, we contracted with Protected Van Lines, who hires other movers from around the country. I liked the guy who signed me up and promised that if we had more stuff than expected, it could be accommodated.

After the movers that Protected Van Lines hired were already late, we still could not get ahold of the movers. And neither could Protected Van Lines. When we finally did, the movers missed their own ETAs three times and never ended up at the correct address. We were frustrated, and the only help the owner would give us was a message that we contractually needed to wait and there was nothing we could do.

After the day the truck was supposed to show up, we didn't hear from the owner again. Protected Van Lines claims we had too much stuff. How ironic! Not only did they fail to show up (how could they know), but we ended up actually using a space that was smaller than Protected Van Line's minimum space. Now that we've begun to dispute the charge with our credit card, the owner has offered a 20% return of our deposit. But what did they do to earn the 80%? They only made a stressful day more stressful as we scrambled to find a new, last minute way to move. We were caught in a lurch.

I interviewed numerous move companies for my whole house pack, load, transport, unload service from AZ to VA. From the very beginning they were very professional, not always telling me what I wanted to hear but telling me the truth. We had 23000 pounds of nicer furnishings and we weren't looking for the cheapest move, we were looking for a quality move with great value. We got that with Protected as they worked on our behalf to organize and arrange all aspects of the move.

With a move of this size, don't believe someone who tells you there will be no problem such, there will always be things that come up that no one expected. The key is how do the players act when problems arise. That is Protected strongest asset. When we had problems with the packing company, Protected quickly stepped in and resolved the problem. When we had an issue with the transport company, Protected made it disappear. So when they say they will be representing you, believe it. Based on their support of me, I'd recommend them to organize your largest move.

After repeating phone calls of convincing and over promising, I went with Protected Van Lines for my move from Boynton Beach, FL to Clifton Park, NY. I told them I needed them to pick it up on the 25th, they said no problem but would need to put the 22nd - 25th. They said they would call for a confirmed date. After they took my down payment it was impossible to reach them through all the false phone numbers they gave me. On the 21st, I drove to the office in Lantana, FL the only way to get in touch with them. They finally found out the truck was to be there at 7am on the 23rd. Less than 24 hour notice. They told me their turnover is 3-5 business days.

I am currently on the 8th business day with none of my belongings in sight and can no longer get in touch with a working number for Protected Van Lines. They outsource to a company Vargo Moving Services, who is just as bad. Since last Sunday (5 days ago) they continue to tell me "a couple days." I have heard this four times now. They make note that in fine print they have 21 business days to deliver my stuff. Protected Van Lines will tell you anything you want to hear to get your business and then you never hear from them again after the down payment. Do not use them and do not use Vargo Services. I can only imagine what my stuff will look like when I finally do get it. Another scam artist in Florida.

These people don't care about you or your items. Once they have the movers pick up your furniture and other belongings it is almost impossible to get them on the phone. You can get voice mails but they never call you back. Then the mover ask "When would you like the items at your new location." You tell him or he makes an offer date but they actually have 21 days and they don't care as long as it gets there by that day. Many items were broken. This company is one of the sorriest moving companies or should I say moving broker, that I have ever dealt with. Whatever you do if you are moving don't go with this company. Worthless company with worthless employees.

We used Protected Van Lines for our moving. They didn't do any packing, they just moved a car and furniture. We had a hard time estimating what the rate might be. I told them it's a tiny bedroom apartment and they said we'll never go over a certain amount, so we signed up. The price ended up being triple, and my sister was amazed. At the last minute, she panicked because she didn’t have the money, so she gave away all her furniture. So all we really moved were her washer, dryer, boxes and one piece of furniture.

Another problem is that the person who dropped the stuff off wasn't careful with things. He also had to call a friend to come help him since he didn’t have the necessary equipment to get big boxes off the truck. They didn’t even have a ramp to get the things off the truck, so my brothers had to help them. He also had so much stuff in the same truck, having ours mixed up with other people's stuff. We were just glad to get it done.

This is the condensed version of a very bad experience that is currently ongoing. I called PVL in May to set up my move. At the time we did not have a secure transfer date. The person I was working with, somebody named Tim, was very helpful, got me a good price and said we could move the date if we needed to.

July rolled around and still no secure date. I notified Tim who moved it out to September, just in case. The good experience ended right there. In July I ended up with a move date. I emailed Tim and called him and left a message. In fact, I left several messages. Nobody ever got back to me. I kept calling his number until one day, all of a sudden, his "supervisor" Duane answered the phone. He informed me that Tim had up and quit.

At this point we were a week away from the transfer. I told him what had happened, he forwarded me to somebody else who, in turn, forwarded me to somebody else. In the end I had to pay an expedite fee (which I was fine with) because things needed to be picked up on July 29th. I was told that everything was ok and to expect the movers on the 29th between 8 and 6. That's not what happened.

The 29th arrived and no movers. I called to discover that nobody had moved the date on the computer as they said they did and dispatch had me moving in September. I was then sent to a very nice guy named Mickey who DID go above and beyond to find us a truck. I was able to push things to August 1st, even though I had to pay another month's rent so Mickey could secure us a definite pick up. In the midst of this I had to talk to some guy in dispatch named Gary who accused me of lying (which I DID NOT appreciate) about the date switching and that 'he had it on tape that I told Marissa to switch the date to September which was NOT true.

There was some mix ups with the contracts where I accidentally signed the wrong one but given that I'd been speaking to the customer service person when the final date was updated they should have caught it when it crossed their screen which they did not and neither did I. Gary took it upon himself to lecture me on what a horrible person I was. Can't say that I appreciated that much either. The 1st rolls around. No movers. Tried calling PVL dispatch numerous times. Nobody answers the phone. Somebody claiming to be from the movers finally calls and says they'll be there by 12:30. 12:30, nobody. I had to call PVL incessantly before finally getting Duane and demanding to speak to somebody who could help.

I was sent to Victoria. Bear in mind this was ONE WEEK AGO from today. Now I had to leave Florida, I had to be in Oregon by Friday the 5th for my new job. I couldn't wait another day and by that time the moving company was saying it would be around 5 before they got there. Then, around 2:30, they informed Victoria that they wouldn't be there until the next day. SO - our neighbor, an elderly lady, was nice enough to keep our key to let the movers in the next day. The moving company told Victoria that they would be there for pick up by noon.

By Tuesday at TWO EST, we were half-way across the country on the way to Oregon when our neighbor calls, wanting to know where the movers were. This prompted an incessant barrage of calls to the Protective offices where nobody could be bothered to answer, and Victoria's number suddenly didn't go to her desk anymore, the number ended up going to some guy's phone! Victoria finally calls me, I tell her what's happening with the phone numbers, she too thought that was odd (supposedly), and said she would call the moving company. I let her know that we had tried all the numbers that we had been given for the company and either they were disconnected, nobody answered or the guy that DID answer didn't speak English.

Our neighbor and Victoria keep calling with updates until the movers finally arrived - at 7:30 pm. (So much for not working after 6 according to dispatch.) The time of arrival changed over 5 times during the afternoon and into the evening. It should also be pointed out that I was not alone when all of these phone calls took place - I had the phone on speaker and my 24-year old daughter was right there listening.

But back to the movers... One of the movers couldn't speak English and the other mover, who barely spoke English, proceeded to harass our neighbor, demanding more money than was allotted and threatening to 'dump the stuff in Miami' if she didn't pay them. Our neighbor is a gutsy woman who wasn't taking their crap - she showed them the money order and told them they'd get the money order and that was IT and they wouldn't get it until the truck was loaded.

They then proceeded to take FOUR hours to load the truck. There was no reason for this to take four hours. There was ONE room of boxes and totes, one sofa, one bedroom set and a box spring and mattress. Everything was sealed and wrapped appropriately well in advance. It shouldn't have taken them more than 2 hours. They also bitched the entire time about "dumping all this crap in Miami". They then refused to give the neighbor a receipt for the pick up and left!

So it's now Weds. morning, we're over in Wyoming and Victoria calls to see if the movers ever showed up. She's not happy when I tell her what happened. She states she will call the company and see what the ETA will be given, they obviously messed up the pick up. Victoria calls back to inform us that the company states the ETA will be Tuesday, August 9th. Now, I understand that the move is across country and the contract even gives them ten days but the company DID say they'd be delivering on the 9th. (Which I did not believe but, well, one can always hope...) Victoria and I discussed the attitude of the movers and agreed that this particular company doesn't look good for PVL.

On Friday of that week I called Victoria and actually managed to get her - she said she would double check with the company and that she would work with us until our belongings were delivered. (My husband's ashes, along with his flag and purple heart are packed in all of this so this is more than just some 'stuff' being carted across country.) The company again told her that the ETA was for Tuesday, August 9. Monday, August 8th I called Victoria to check in and the number was back to going to some guy.

Today, Tuesday, August 9th, I called again, again with the guy. So I call Duane. He says he's going to put my file on somebody named "Melissa's" desk. She would call me. She never called. SO I called Duane back. He transferred me to a Melissa who wasn't who I needed to talk to, she sent me to some guy who was totally rude who, in turn, sent me to Stephanie... Stephanie informed me that Victoria NO LONGER WORKS THERE. She then tried the line on me that "well, it's clear across the country and it can take up to 15 to 24 days."

I told her that "I understood that but THIS is what has happened in the past week and I was told TWICE that the ETA was today, the 9th. I want an update regarding where my belongings are." Stephanie tells me that she'll give me her direct number and that I will work with her until this is resolved, that I don't need to talk to the moving company, I hired PVL, they'll talk to the movers.

She was going to call them and call me right back. That was at 12:30 pm PST, it's now 2:00 PST and she hung up without giving me her direct number. (I couldn't call the movers even if I wanted to, all numbers we were given for them have either been disconnected or somebody who doesn't speak English answers and hangs up.)

I know and understand how complicated this sort of business is but there is no excuse for any of this. I'd demand a refund but something tells me I'd never get it - anymore than I'm going to get my belongings. At this point I doubt I'm going to be getting said belongings, everything I own - my children's pictures and baby books, my late husband's effects, my daughters' belongings, my awards for years in publishing - our entire life is pretty much on a truck driven by two guys who barely speak English and harassed an old woman before threatening to toss said belongings into the Atlantic.

I thought that working with PVL was going to be a good experience when this all started, I stand corrected and will be looking into legal recourse at this point because nobody within the PVL business structure can seem to 1. stay employed there, 2. tell the truth when they are employed there, 3. cannot or will not answer the phone (they know who's calling, our numbers show up on their caller ID, how else could Duane and Mickey call me back when I didn't even leave a message?) and 4. after all this I wouldn't recommend this company to anybody.

If I could give them a negative score, I would. They owe ME stars at this point. Trust and believe, if PVL doesn't see to it that this situation ends on a satisfactory note this review will go beyond Consumer Affairs fully backed by all the witnesses who've supported my daughter and I while we've been forced to put up with this unbelievable nonsense.

My friend used this company who farmed her job out to ANOTHER company who then charged her extra while holding her belongings hostage. They broke half of her things and when she called to complain they were rude to her and told her she had to submit a claim. She took photos, someone even urinated on her mattress. She is a single mom with 1 child who was taken advantage of and unfortunately she still has nothing to show for this. She had to replace about 60% of her belongings and still has seen nothing from this terrible company.

We went with Protected Van Lines for their cost. However, it was a nightmare before they got a new CEO. I would have cancelled because I was in Michigan and I was moving furniture from Michigan to Omaha and nobody was returning my emails. I was trying to coordinate because I won't be there and I had to have somebody at the house to help with the move. Then on the first day of their new CEO, he called me and from then on things went well and their moving crew were very good.

My initial contact with Protected Van Lines was ok. I had to change moving dates and they were helpful with that. When trying to lock down dates and get additional help the customer service was non-existent. Numerous phone calls and emails were left unanswered. My estimate was $1500 lower than what it ended up costing me. I was very accurate in my inventory list with them when originally working with them, although some of my items ended up needing additional boxes.

I was moving from a 1 bedroom apartment and I know my items did not weigh what they stated. If they would have been honest with me and I knew it would cost me $4300 instead of the $2800 I was quoted I would never have agreed to it. Even today just before I began this review I have tried calling Colin **, my contact person with the company, and still no returned call. So disappointed to be treated this way by a company. When asked by friends or family in need of a moving company I will tell them to stay clear from Protected Van Lines.

I was supposed to move today from 7-11 am. Woke up at 6 am, had my phone on ringer next to me, and had a full view to outside, since I'm in the ground floor. Come 11 am, I call the company to see what's going on and they tell me "oh, we were there but you weren't actually there" (I actually have a security camera that shows otherwise) and that they would "try to make tomorrow." This is after already paying $1,500. BEWARE. I'm not even sure if this is a scam or not, since at this time, they haven't confirmed if they'll even pick it up.

The Sales rep completely misled me on costs and then I was rushed to resign the contract on my phone. When I finally saw the contract on my email it was completely different from what I was promised. When I tried to cancel the order they refused to return my $700 deposit and then stopped answering my phone calls in customer service.

Protected Van Lines was the first one who called me back for our move and we were very pleased with them. They were all top-notch. The moving crew that came in and wrapped all the furnitures were the greatest. We were very impressed and I would recommend them highly.

I decided to go with Protected Van Lines' moving services due to their pricing. Their guys were pleasant and although there was a hiccup on the road in the beginning of the process, it got straightened out. The first moving crew was not good. They were supposed to get there on Thursday, but they did not make it to my house until Monday. When they saw the house, they said they didn't have enough people and they didn't have the materials they needed to pack the stuff in the truck. They left and called me back to tell me they found some guy to help them, but he had to finish work on a day job so he could get a cell phone to go on the trip. My husband, who was in Texas while I was still in Indianapolis, didn't feel it was safe when I described to him what happened with the first crew. I called the first crew up and told them not to come back.

I called Protected Van Lines and I was not happy. They sent me another crew the next day who was truly a breath of fresh air. They were on time, very courteous, professional, and very helpful. They kept in touch with me during the course of their trip down to Texas. I was very pleased with them. Everything arrived here safely. The stuff were packed well and there was nothing broken.

I chose Protected Van Lines for their price. The rep I started out with apparently left or got fired. I had to finish with somebody else. That was okay, but my interaction with the moving crew was not good. The first crew would give me updates as they were getting closer but somehow, somebody contacted Protected that it was the wrong moving crew. I was told when the crew arrived to turn them away. The second crew that came the next day didn't want to honor the contract. I had to fire them.

Finally, the third day, after a lot of stress and arguing, their office sent down a truck and that was a good situation. I thought maybe that truck would actually deliver because that third crew did a real good job packing the stuff onto the truck. What happened as they took the stuff from the first truck onto a different truck was all the heavy stuff ended on top and crushed down on the bottom boxes. Their truck leaked oil and left stains on my brand new concrete driveway, too. I was not happy.

We're from Oregon and my daughter graduated from college. She was starting a new job in Orlando but she only has a bed, sofa, and some boxes. We then filled out something online and Protected Van Lines immediately contacted us. I discussed with them that my daughter would be leaving here July 9th so she would need her things delivered between July 10th through 13th because she starts work on July 14th. So we worked from those dates backward to see when her stuff could be picked up and it was determined that it would be loaded up anywhere between May 31st to June 2nd and that was the binding estimate that I had signed.

The funny thing is that the dates that were on the binding estimate were the pickup date, not the delivery date. So there is only that date there, the address where it was going that was on the third floor, and the amount $2,071 for the move. And since she's working and we're thinking that her stuff will be delivered anytime between July 10th through the 13th, I have a plane reservation for the 14th early in the morning to get there to help her, so I could unpack while she's on her first day at work.

But then I'm a caregiver for my mom who's almost 87. Since I'm gonna be gone and she lives with me, I had to fly her all the way to Connecticut, so that she could stay with my brother. We sent her on the 13th which was a Monday and I was gonna leave on Tuesday. After I put my mom on the plane on Monday, I waited all weekend to hear whether my daughter's stuff was on its way or when it will be delivered, because the Monday was the last day that we had agreed that it would be there.

I thought Protected Van Lines van would come to pick our things up with other people's stuff as ours is so small. They said that they'll be here on a Tuesday, and we were excited because we're lining up everything perfectly. Then the truck showed up on the 31st and it's a Ryder truck. Protected Van Lines did not reveal themselves as a brokerage, so they just handed it off to this local moving company. So I asked them why it was a Ryder truck. They said that they'll move the things on to another truck.

They then loaded everything up and I had a cashier's check for the amount, half of the balance that was due and it was made out to Protected Van Lines because that's the company that we had chosen. They did a great job in loading. They wrapped everything up, loaded it perfectly, and the guy told me that the only issue might be the size of our move; it had to sit in this much space in the truck. I told him that my daughter's stuff can all fit in that space that was allotted for our shipment as she doesn't have many things.

When everything was loaded, he was looking for a paperwork that we had to sign up on. At that point, there was nothing about Protected Van Lines on any of the paperwork. It was this company called GTS Shipping. I asked them “what is GTS, because I have the cashier's check made out to Protected Van Lines?" And then he said that they’re the company that would be moving our stuff. And at that point, we knew that something was not right.

They had us sign a bunch of paperwork after all of our stuff was on the truck. I questioned the things that they had us initialed, and he said that in case something will happen, as the move is many miles, and may take up to 21 business days. I thought that's not gonna apply because the stuff’s going on a truck on a day that we set so that it could get there in the time period that we specified with Protected Van Lines. We initialed it because we were looking at the miles and we didn't think it applied to us because of what the agreement was. The top portion of the agreement said that the first date available for delivery was June 12th, and the pickup date was 5/31/16.

The bottom part said that the earliest day my daughter can receive the shipment was on June 10th because she's leaving on June 9th. My daughter was on a Red Eye, so she would arrive at 6:00 AM in the morning. It was timed perfectly and everything fell into place. There's a parts storage which is 40 cents per cubic foot per month and I thought that it would not apply to us because our daughter’s stuff is not even going into the storage. And all these little things that the person from GTS had us initialed indicated that we read it. I'm like, "Okay."

They then held this piece of paper against us. On the 13th of June, I called them to find out when the truck would be showing up there as my daughter had to start working the next day. I found out that day that the things are still in Portland--in storage. I had no words because I'm packed and ready to go for the next day. My daughter is there sleeping on the floor in her apartment and it was a nightmare. I tried to call them and they were just saying that the things should be on a truck soon although they didn't know when the next truck will be here, but it will get there within 21 business days. They sent me an email saying that it could be as late as July 11th.

And so I had to cancel my flight and pay $200 change fee. I also had to buy a mattress pad as my daughter told me that her hip is getting numb and it would be fine if she had that so she could sleep on the floor for two days, but not knowing when her stuff would come. We bought towels as well because she didn't have any. Then she also took two weeks work contacts that were in her stuff because we didn't think it would take longer than that. She had to buy another one for 90 days, because that's the minimum supplied contact lenses, which was almost $100 that we had to pay when she had a whole year's worth in her stuff. And she had to buy a pan and some dishes and all these extra costs associated with that. I also had my mom calling me from Connecticut who asked me when I am going to Orlando. She’s waiting to come back home.

When the things eventually got on a truck, it was another company that they called, Scout Moving Company. So it went from Protected, to GTS Shipping, to Scout Moving Company. The driver showed up was very nice and from another shipping company W.hen I talked to GTS on the phone, GTS was so rude. They said that I signed this paper and I knew that it would be up to 21 business days until the delivery, and they scanned a copy of what I signed. I already have it, but it didn't apply to us. I then signed the paperwork as our stuff was on the truck. It's all strapped in, wrapped, and packed. They're using that document now that everything's said and done.

The company told us that the things will come before 4th of July. It would be the July 1st. They sent us an email that it was on a truck and the driver should call. I kept telling the driver that I need to know in advance when it's gonna be there as I got to make my flight reservations. They told us on Friday that her stuff is on a truck and it should take some window time. So I made my flight reservation and I left on Sunday which was the 3rd. I got there and bought some more stuff because there was really nothing in my daughter’s apartment. The driver called us on Monday saying that the stuff would arrive the next day between 2:00 and 4:00 PM window. So I'm home and she took off early because she thought the driver would arrive during the window time.

This is her first full week of work because it's all training beforehand and she came home about 1:30 because she wanted to be there when the movers get here. So two o'clock came, and there's no word; about four o'clock, there was still no word. I texted the driver and asked if he’s still coming. He said that he’s in Orlando and would be there in about an hour and a half. They arrived a little before 6:00 which I totally understand that there could be delays with the traffic as long as they were gonna be there that day.

The truck driver was fine and we have no issues with him or the guys that moved our things. Then the driver got on the phone with the GTS people who said that they need $75 more because of the stairs, which we already agreed to with Protected Van Lines, it was specifically included and specified that it was on the 3rd floor. Even the drivers said that it's right on the paperwork that it's included. But the GTS Shipping on Oregon continued to talk on the phone to the truck driver saying that they need to collect $75 more.

At that point, it's 98 degrees and these moving guys have to carry all the stuff up to the third floor. And I said to GTS, "Are you kidding me? We've waited this long. We've gone through so much to get our stuff and you're nickel-and-diming us now?" And I said, "These guys are here. I have no issues with these guys that are with me right now. I'm not gonna make them suffer by squabbling over the phone. I will pay the stupid $75 but you're unethical." And I just left it at that. I paid and the $2,071 estimate that we agreed on ended up being $47 more which is not the price that we agreed to. Then everything was moved upstairs and the guys were so tired. They had one more stop but they couldn't do it, so they canceled, and those people had to wait till the next day.

Some of our things got damaged. When the movers were screwing on the leg to the sofa, one of the screws broke. Half the screw is inside the hole, so we can't get it back in and get it. They never gave us the option of full value replacement insurance. They just had to sign this thing that it would be so many cents per pound or cubic, the very minimum insurance. I had emailed GTS saying that we had no idea that our stuff would be in storage. They have to at least provide us with full replacement insurance coverage. I never heard from them since.

When I looked online for this GTS company, all the reviews are similar to ours and they're horror stories. I would have never in my right mind chosen that company as a business I would be dealing with. We didn't have any choice as to who they were gonna farm it out to. It's been so frustrating and hard for me to just keep it together. My daughter’s 22 and hasn't gone through anything like this and here she is starting her first job, and she's on the floor. I'm really, really disgusted with the industry. I don't even know how these people can go to sleep at night knowing that other people are so unhappy. It seems like it's a common occurrence these days and it's just unfortunate. It's been a nightmare with them.

Protected Van Lines' moving consultant was very efficient, courteous and friendly. He got back to me anytime I needed him. The moving crew were very professional but my interactions with them were very limited because they didn't speak English very well. If I had a question, it was very difficult to discuss things. But overall, I am happy with my experience with Protected Van Lines.

I received a call from Olis at Protected Van Lines on May 22 to ship my 1 bedroom apartment belongings from CA to MA. At first, he was very polite and helpful. I put down a deposit of over $700. The movers called on Saturday and said they would be arriving between 9am and noon on 5/27. They did not come. I called them later that day, they said they would come the next morning, 5/28. Still nothing! I called Olis back and was given the runaround with people in his office.

After numerous conversations with people from Protected Van Lines, I received a call from the manager Stephanie **. Ms. ** was understanding at first and offered to reimburse me for the extra cost of having to rent a storage unit. When I informed her I wanted to cancel and go with other moving company she was rude, yelled and became unpleasant to talk with. I requested that they refund my deposit. She hasn't not returned my deposit, returned any emails or phone calls. I am now taking action through my cc company. I do not recommend using Protected Van Lines.

I had a horrible experience with this company. When I called them they would always point out that they are a 4-5 star moving company. So I hired them. They charged me about $725 initially, rest I was supposed to give to the actual movers. And that's when the nightmare started. Although this website states they are 4 star, they gave my contract to a ONE star company "Destiny Van Lines" (check Yelp ratings). After that it was one nightmare after another.

First they (Destiny Van Lines) charged me $150 extra. $75 for some "75 feet distance fee" which I was never quoted before. (Additional fee if more than 21 steps. First flight of stairs (up to 21 steps) is included. Long carry: first 75 feet are included. This is from their contract). On top of that they also charged me $75 for "elevator fee". Actually I was told by Protected Van Lines there would be no such fee since my apartment has an elevator. When I told them (Destiny Van Lines) this was not quoted to me they were rude and told me to pay up or carry my stuff on my own. So when you have everything set up and have an airline ticket ready for next day, you cannot have your things not moved and find another company. So I had to give them the extra $150.

This is not it, they charged me $75 for one flight of "destination" stair fee, which I understand since my apartment is on third floor. However they gave my stuff to another moving company "American Moving & Storage" without telling me. That moving company was much worse. They charged me the "stair fee" again, for BOTH flight of stairs $150 (remember the first set of stair is supposed to be free as per Protected Van Lines contract) and told me to pay up or they will leave my stuff downstairs and to get a refund from Destiny Van Lines which I am still trying to get. Called them several times and still no refund.

Half of my boxes with damaged and broke. Seemed like they were thrown. My books were out of the boxes and damaged. The TV table was broken into half. Now no one would take responsibility. Not to mention that Protected Van Lines told me they will weigh my stuff and I will be charged according to the weight (after an initial estimate). I was told they will put a higher estimate so later I will not have to pay extra but if the weight is less I would pay less. This was told to me by "Destiny Van Lines" as well. However when "American Moving & Storage" showed up, they did not know anything about the weight and charged me for full weight which was over estimated by the Protected Van Lines.

Now when I tell this to Destiny Van Lines they say they charged for space and not weight, (although I told the person from their team that it has to be by weight and he agreed and told me they will take the truck to weighing station from my home) and I paid for some 260 cu ft, Protected Van Lines quoted me for about 435 cu ft. So I ended up paying much much more than I should have. These are kind of people who sold me to the cheapest movers on the market who then jacked up the fee when they see you are desperate and still won't deliver the service. Horrible service. I would definitely stay away from them in future.

My company has an account with Protected Van Lines, and because of their price, I decided to go with them. They moved all of our stuff from North Carolina to Arizona. They packed for us and I thought that they were going to unpack for us too, but they didn't. So I had to pay somebody $300 to haul away all the 60 boxes in my front yard. The moving consultant said that he was going to see what he could do about that and would get back to me but I haven't heard back from him.

They also told us that our furniture was going to arrive in Arizona on June 1st or 2nd. So I drove my car out to Arizona and got there on May 31st. I was ready to go on the 1st of June then found out that it was going to be five or six more days until they show up. My pregnant wife had to be home alone for what felt like forever back in North Carolina. It was tough. It wasn't an easy thing to do and I don't want to do it again. As for the moving crew, everybody was nice. I did have a guy though who called me and said, “I'm coming to pick up the Ford Taurus on Friday.” I said, "The Ford Taurus? I don’t own a Ford Taurus. And I am moving a car, but it's not for another month." He’s like, “Are you sure you don’t have a Ford Taurus?” But other than that, everything was good.

It wasn't a great move with Protected Van Lines. They virtually lost our stuff for a couple of weeks there so they kept calling to say, "It'll be there tomorrow." We probably had that conversation five to seven times. I was not pleased. I thought that there were some significant hidden fees. The moving consultants weren't very good either.

We moved out to Colorado and it went fairly well. Pick-up was really good. Protected Van Lines was there on time. The movers that showed up in New Hampshire were awesome and polite. They packaged things up very well and did everything quickly. The movers on the opposite end though, in Colorado, were absolutely terrible. I’m not sure how the services work ‘cause it's usually the same crew that delivers but it wasn't this time. They showed up and there weren't even enough guys. The person who was there explained to us that his other truck didn't show up, so he found somebody else who was just finishing moving and paid them to move us in. We didn't end up getting any sort of a whiff of all of our boxes or any of our items. We ended up missing boxes and a suitcase, and a few things got damaged along the way like plates, our bedroom set, TV stand, bookshelf, and big things that we had to pay for. We still have yet to have anything resolved.

I was satisfied that our stuff did show up and it was in a timely manner. The service itself was good. The rep who organized everything was fantastic. He notified us the entire way as far as when things were going to arrive. He was on top of all emails, phone calls, and text messages. Even after everything was coming into our new place, we were talking to him and he was asking us to send him pictures. He was really on point with everything and very apologetic that everything had happened that way.

We had used Protected Van Lines when we moved and their process was stressful. We ended up speaking to so many different people and paying a bit more than we actually thought we’re going to. Also, nine days after the furniture was moved out of the apartment, it still hadn’t left the yard so they were telling us that our furniture could be delayed up to two to three weeks for delivery but then it wasn’t. The people who had packed up took a little longer than they had planned and they showed up a couple of hours late. They wanted to know if we wanted to pay for extra 500 to 1,000 pounds and be guaranteed a price, or if we wanted to follow them a 45-minute drive to the weigh station. However, I didn't have the time to drive to follow them. On the other hand, their service worked and nothing was broken.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Protected Van Lines is a licensed, interstate moving broker that specializes in residential and commercial moves. The company has strong relationships with Class A licensed movers that provide safe, reliable and timely relocation services. Their knowledgeable moving consultants are always on hand to provide advice on the relocation process, and can be contacted via email, phone, fax or an online contact form. Protected Van Lines offers auto transport for those who need to move their cars across the country and provides free, no obligation quotes for corporate relocation services.

• Wide network: Protected Van Lines arranges relocations throughout the United States.
  • Flexible packing options: Packing services from Protected Van Lines include do-it-yourself packing and fragile packing for delicate, valuable or sentimental items.
  • Authorized movers: Protected Van Lines only hires licensed, insured and bonded movers as authorized by the American Moving & Storage Association (AMSA) and Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
  • Experience: The company has helped thousands of individuals and households find the right relocation services for their interstate moves.
  • Auto transport: Protected Van Lines offers auto transport for those who need to move their cars across the country.
  • Best for Corporations and families who are moving across town or across the country.

Question and Answers - Protected Van Lines

What problem is Protected Van Lines trying to solve?

We want our customers to know the level of service we deliver to our customers, and the strides we are making to be a leader in the moving and storage industry.

What sets Protected Van Lines apart from the competition?

We have some of the most tenured moving coordinators in the industry, which makes moving seamless for our customers. We are also very selective in deciding which Agents (Carriers) can join our network, which reduces if not eliminates issues. We are a company that will not book additional moves if we do not have a reputable mover to perform the work, we believe in quality over quantity. We are also working on developing a back office of Account Managers to maintain constant communication with our customers and to assist them every step of the way. Finally, we are forming a relationship with Qology, which will allow us to offer a concierge service to all of our customers. The concierge service will include phone, internet and tv, making the relocation process for our customers that much smoother.

What needs do your products or services fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

We are a leader in the Moving Brokerage industry, that has a network of world class moving companies that are independently owned and operated. Because these companies are independent the rates and service we are able to provide our customers is second to none. We outshine the competition because we are very stringent in who we allow in our network, and because of the the level of service we and our affiliates provide is world class. We are also forming relationships with organizations that can further streamline a long distance relocation. One of the relationships we are developing is with a company by the name of Qology, who is able to process a work order to have a customer’s internet, television and phone service setup on or near the date of delivery.

What are the most common misconception consumers have about Protected Van Lines?

Customers often times think we do not have as much experience as other competitors due to the length of time we have been in business, but when we formed the company we strategically selected our Officers, who collectively have 40+ years of industry experience. Most members of our Management worked at other moving organization and learned what not to do, making the customer experience second to none.

How does Protected Van Lines measure success?

The company measures success on a few different factors, with the most important being customer satisfaction. We have implemented a team that solely focuses on customer retention and satisfaction. The company’s success is also measured by the percentage of customers that leave positive surveys. We have other internal KPI's such as number of unique customer, deal size, ROI and cost of acquisition.

What are Protected Van Lines values?

We have two mottos, the first is “A moving company you can trust” and the second is “Our customers come first.” By living to those two mottos we know our company will be around for years to come, and allows us to differentiate ourselves from the competition.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about Protected Van Lines?

I want each and every one of our customers to believe our mottos of “A moving company you can trust” and “Our customers come first.” There is so much bad press around the moving and storage industry, and most of the bad press is focused around moving brokers. We as a company are doing everything to assure the moves we coordinate meet or exceed the expectations of our customers.

What are the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?

That all moving brokers charge a third party fee that makes the price of a move more expensive than if they were to call the carrier directly, which is not a true statement. The truth is we do charge a third party fee, but our price is often less expensive than if the customer were to call the carrier directly. The reason for that is we send volume to our carriers, which reduces the dollar amount we are able to have a move conducted for, so even if we had a third party fee the customer is still in an advantageous position, due to our purchasing power.

What is the greatest obstacle Protected Van Lines is currently trying to overcome?

We are in the process of building our back office to ensure our moves are conducted to our customers satisfaction, and we are currently working through that process to make sure we achieve our goals. We are also combating the negative stigma the industry currently has, and we are wanting to differentiate ourselves from the competition. Communicating that message is often difficult.

How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?

The moving industry over the past few years has changed in a few areas, with some of the biggest changes being the evolution of self service moving companies, like PODS, Zippyshell and more. Also, the countless number of review sites that have started up. Most of the review sites are not for the business, and are not there to remain unbiased, which has definitely hurt the moving brokerage industry.

How do you think the industry will change in the next 5 to 10 years?

I believe self service moves will increase slightly, but customer will quickly realize that the price difference is marginal after you factor all the costs in. I also believe that the number of large brokerages will no longer be in business, as the moving industry has become more competitive driving prices down, making it difficult for some of the larger brokerages to remain operational. Along with this I believe that new laws will pass to protect customer interests.

How has Protected Van Lines grown or evolved?

Our company has evolved a lot in a short period of time. We have someone dedicated to marketing, a back office staff that is there to maintain customer relationships and have increased the number of quality movers within our network.

How do you see Protected Van Lines growing or evolving in the future?

I believe as we continue to earn the trust of our customers we will increase the number of sales individuals, and the number of back office individuals we employ. We are also out there seeking relationships with affiliates that will improve customer satisfaction.

Where do great ideas come from in your organization?

We are a company that believes ideas can come from everyone and anyone within the company.

Do you have any advice or comments for your current and/or potential customers?

Give Protected Van Lines a chance! We are here to help, and are not like the other moving brokers.

Compare Moving Companies