Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now
  2. Movers

Penske Truck Rental

Penske Truck Rental
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.57/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Penske Truck Rental rents trucks for local and long-distance self-moves in 49 states and Washington, D.C. Penske offers five truck sizes to fit moves of all sizes. Customers who drive themselves but still need help loading and unloading can request labor from a local moving company.

BOTTOM LINE

Penske is a good option to save on moving costs. Driving, loading and unloading a truck yourself requires more work than a full-service move, but it’s a more affordable moving solution.

PROS

• Discounts
    • Haul a car behind the truck
    • Transparent pricing

CONS

• No trailers, just trucks

Top Penske Truck Rental Reviews

Reserved the truck online, very easy to do. We did purchase the additional insurance. We chose very convenient pickup and dropoff locations, as this was a 1-way rental, from NJ to FL. The truck was brand new, easy to load and no mechanical issues for our 1000+ mile trip. If we ever need to rent a truck again, Penske will be our choice.

Not a single issue with truck or trailer. Dropped back off at a Home Depot here in LA. So if you are looking to rent for a one way cross country, Penske is the way. I highly recommend for peace of mind and safety as their trucks are 2 years old or newer. Ours had 100k miles on it, but ran like a champ. I will always use them in the future.

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Penske Truck Rental?

Penske Truck Rental offers five different sizes of trucks for people who want to move themselves. Local moves are affordable, and customers typically pick up and drop off the truck from the same location. Long-distance moves are one-way, so customers leave the truck at their destination city. Penske’s online quote process makes it easy to get an accurate price with all fees included.

Penske Truck Rental price

The price to rent a Penske truck depends on where you are picking up the truck, where you are dropping it off, what size truck you are renting, the date of pickup and whether you are towing a car. For an exact quote, visit Penske’s website and enter your information. Getting a quote only takes a few minutes.

Estimated Penske truck rental prices*

Example routeExample routeTrip detailsCost
      Houston to Dallas250 miles2-day rental$202
      Kansas City to Chicago500 miles5-day rental$814
      Los Angeles to Denver1,000 miles5-day rental$1,469
      Boston to Miami1,500 miles7-day rental$1,938
      Orlando to Seattle3,000 miles11-day rental$2,091

*All prices are for a 16-foot truck.

Penske Truck Rental moving services

Penske caters to two kinds of moves:

• Local moves: Same-city moves usually require customers to pick up and drop off the truck at the same location. Penske often adds a small per-mile charge to the base price for renting the truck.
      • Long-distance moves: These are also known as “one-way” moves. Customers pick up the truck in one city and drop it off at the destination after unloading it.

Penske has five options for truck size, which lets you choose the perfect size to fit your belongings. Penske also sells packing materials and rents hand trucks. Every move comes with roadside assistance. Customers also have the option to haul a car behind their truck.

Truck typeCapacity (cubic feet)Weight limit (pounds)Move size
      High-roof cargo van4043,500Studio apartment
      12-foot4503,100Studio or two rooms
      16-foot8004,300Studio to one-bedroom
      22-foot1,20010,000Medium-sized house
      26-foot1,70010,000Large house

Penske Truck Rental FAQ

Is Penske cheaper than U-Haul?
      Penske typically costs more than U-Haul, but prices vary by location. U-Haul has a cheaper 10-foot truck option that Penske doesn’t have. Comparing prices near you is the best way to know for sure which company is cheaper.
      Does Penske offer unlimited mileage?
      Yes, Penkse offers unlimited mileage on one-way truck rentals.
      How much is a Penske truck security deposit?
      Penske requires a $100 security deposit.
      Do Penske rental trucks need to stop at weigh stations?
      Penske encourages drivers to follow all road signs, including ones that signal to stop at weigh stations.
      Do you need a CDL for a Penske truck?
      Driving a 22- or 26-foot truck requires a commercial driver’s license. All other trucks do not require a CDL.

Is Penske Truck Rental worth it?

Renting a truck from Penske is worth it if you’re moving yourself and not hiring a professional transporter. It's generally affordable, and the process to reserve a truck online is straightforward. We also like that you can tow a car behind the rental truck — just keep in mind that loading, unloading and driving the truck require a lot of effort. For consumers willing to put in that effort to save money, a Penske truck rental is worth it.

Penske Truck Rental Reviews

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

When looking for a way to move from Chicago to LA, I had many options to consider. First was who will move me? Myself or a moving company? I figured that out rather quickly because Pods and Relocube quoted $3k for my move of a one bedroom apartment. I felt this was expensive and they couldn't even drop the pod/cube on my street anyways due to city regulations, so I would have had to get a truck and bring my stuff to the terminal. I didn't want that kind of hassle and waste of time and additional money. My dad recommended Penske as he had used them before several times and was happy with their service. I didn't opt for Uhaul based on reviews of truck conditions/reliability issues and price.

I made my reservation online with Penske and got a discount because I opted to move in the off season, Dec 9, 2019. I reserved a 16ft truck w a car carrier, plus moving blankets and handtruck. I paid $1550.00. $1150 for one way truck w/ taxes to CA and $400 for car carrier. There was a promo running when I booked so prices may vary. Easy process, I think I had to put a cc on file to reserve but that's normal for renting vehicles. I did have to call Penske a couple times after I booked when my departure date changed. They were very helpful and changed whatever I needed, with no change to my rate either.

I picked up from a Home Depot near my home. Very easy process, took all of 15 minutes. They charge the whole cost on your cc when you take your truck. No hidden fees. They let us leave the car carrier there so we could load up and come back for it. Worked out perfectly. They also have a 24 Roadside Assistance for you in case of any issues. I actually had to call bec one of the tie down straps was stuck and we couldn't load my car. The roadside assistance set up someone to come out and replace it, but 15 minutes later, we got it unstuck and canceled the call. But it's nice to know that service is with you on your move. The truck had Onstar as well, but not sure if that was activated or not since I just used my cellphone to call.

Easy to load truck with pull out ramp. 2 captains chairs in the front made for an easy drive. They don't recline, but it wasn't an issue since we stayed in hotels during our trip. We drove from Chicago to LA, using the south route thru OK, TX NM, AZ and CA. Truck got about 260 to 300 miles per fill up, $66 or so until you hit AZ and CA whose gas prices are higher. I think we had 9 fillups, but we drove in a national park too, on the way to sightsee, so maybe 10 fillups. But driving in cooler weather helps gas economy and traffic activity. Fyi You can only do 75mph max as it had a governor on it. But with a car in back, that's fast enough really.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2019

For the prominence of United Parcel Service Locking down & accelerating into peak season Penske Truck Rentals pulls through in a driven force of trustworthiness, reliability, sustainability. Up to par on inspection. Very smooth ride. Great brakes... well threaded tires... Great sizing in mirrors... to watch for motorist and pedestrians. Head lights are bright as could be for night vision. When you rent from Penske you know your life is in good hands. B2B #1 in Safety Requirements. #1 in logistics of service and deliverance. Penske leading UPS #1 Leader in Global Logistics right to the top in DEDICATION ON EVERY TURN. A-1 Accredited.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

They charge upfront a little more than I liked for the first day but everyday after that was only 100 dollars a day. They send confirmation emails. They call to verify that the information is correct. Excellent experience.

Original review: July 31, 2019

Their prices for truck rental and car towing were better than others. The rep I spoke with on the phone initially was very helpful and pleasant to talk to. We did have some difficulty with the car trailer upon pickup but Kathleen at customer service was very helpful. They gave us an even bigger discount and even drove a new car trailer out to our home so we could continue to load the truck which the employee who drove out the new trailer was awesome. Moving is very stressful but these reps for Penske made our day a little more bearable. Thanks Penske.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Moved across country. The facility was clean and professional. Truck was high quality. Easy drop off. We will always use Penske in the future. Very affordable too! We could't be happier with the price and experience we had moving.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Penske?

Original review: March 6, 2020

I recently purchased a 26ft box truck from Penske that they claim was "Premium". I didn't have this truck more than a week when the check engine light came on and the front headlight was out. The headlight was an electrical issue because the bulb was good. When I opened up the headlight area I could smell something burning and tell it had been rigged and was not the original set up. Because I was within my 15 days they had me come in and supposedly fixed everything.

Few weeks later check engine light is on again and headlight out again. Same electrical issue, except this time no one at penske will even respond to my emails or return my calls about the issues. Even the financing was an issue. I was told that taxes were included in the financing but when I went to the DMV to get it plated they had not sent a check for the entire amount, was short over $900. Person I spoke to tried to blame me for it then again dark silence, no response. I have sent 6 emails and made multiple calls now to multiple people with no response. The customer service is horrible and it is clear that the ignoring is intentional. I'm a new business trying to get off the ground and provide for my family, Penske doesn't care about the people. I paid over 36k and now I am stuck with a lemon. I would strongly urge people to avoid this company. Truck number is ** if anyone at Penske decides to reach out to me.

Original review: March 3, 2020

I purchased a used truck in October 2019. It did not have a clear title and as a result I had to get two consecutive 30 day tags. After the 60 days was up I had a truck that could not be used and had to park it for 10 days. I asked the sales rep if there was a solution. He said I could rent a truck, pay for it and then get reimbursed for the rental expenses. I rented a truck for 2 weeks and 3 days. Had to cover it on my insurance and had a flat tire that they want me to pay for. The total cost out of pocket is $2097.20 rental expense, $800 insurance cost and $665.03 tire replacement for a total of $3562.23

I sent in the documents that related to the rental on Feb 5th. After several attempts to contact the sales rep (no response to email or phone messages) I was given another persons name. I contacted them and after 1 week he informed me that he was changing jobs and gave me another persons name. I have not had any success in getting to a person who seems interested in resolving this issue. They were all available when it came time to buy but now the response is non existent. If I ever but another truck it will not be from Penske based solely on this experience.

Original review: March 2, 2020

Horrible customer service. Penske truck has been over 40 minutes late. And I’m still waiting. Still on hold with them on phone right now for over 14 minutes. Waste of time. Very disrespectful. Save yourself time and money. Do not choose Penske. Go with U-HAUL.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I’ve reserved twice online for a 26’ and 12’ box trucks and both times the truck was not ready. 1/9/2020 I am sitting at Home Depot and had truck reserved to pick up at 7:00am, it is 10:50 am and truck is still not here and I have no choice except to wait since I was dropped off by Uber. I will NEVER rent from Penske again. My reservation #** if you need this Penske.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2019

I recently purchased a box truck from these guys.... $40,000 motor blew in 25 days under $1000 miles.... They said it only had a 15 day warranty and in over 9 days lol and now won't answer my call (Phil). You're a joke!!!

Penske Truck Rental Company Information