3.7/5 (168 ratings)

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves for residential, corporate and military clients. The company makes moves to all 50 states. Common additional services include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and furniture disassembly. North American Van Lines partners with more than 500 local moving companies.

Pros

• Corporate relocations
  • Shipment tracking
  • Instant quote estimate

Cons

• Potentially pricey

Bottom Line

North American Van Lines completes every type of move. Its fast quote feature is handy, but consumer reviews point out shortcomings like tardy movers and mishandled or broken items.

North American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Original review: Jan. 17, 2006

Although this was a very large move with guaranteed pay by the government, the company grossly understaffed the move resulting in excessive damage and lost items. Additionally, the labor provided was negligent in assembly of our furniture resulting in a king size bed collapsing while we were asleep and childrens bunk beds that were in jeopardy of collapse had we not immediatly inspected the other beds after the collapse of the first bed.

The size of the move required at least five movers to ensure safety, timeliness and care of our property. North American only provided 3 movers plus the driver. As a result, numerous items were broken, furniture was incorrectly assembled resulting in collapse and damage. Many items clearly marked by the packers were not placed in the room it was marked to be placed in and most were "buried" in the basement by movers who were tired and just started throwing boxes in the basement.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2005

Damage to personal property after a sucessful move from Colorado to California. Claims department, drivers, origination and destination offices all claim no responsibility/liability. The claims department instructed me to use the official claims process which limited their liability but technically this was property damage subsequent to a successful move.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2005

Shipment was scheduled to be delivered to Nashville between 10/18/05 and 10/20/05 from New Jersey. Arrangements had already been made for the shipment to then be delivered to the customer on 10/21. Shipment did not arrive as promised. North American was called to track the shipment and stated it was sitting in Atlanta and the delivery date had been changed. When asked who changed the date was told the carrier did without any kind of notification to the receiving party. When asked if the shipment could be delivered to Nashville on the 21st since Atlanta's only 3 hours away was informed the delivery date was now 10/24.

This is unacceptable and may cost the company a valued customer. Recommendations are being sent to our corporate office requesting North American be cancelled as a carrier for any movement of our equipment. Not only are they unreliable, they just don't care.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2005

In late June, I contracted with King's Moving & Storage, an agent of North American Van Lines, to move my household to Wheeling, WV (787 miles) on July 25, 2005, with promised delivery between July 28th and August 4th. North American loaded my household goods on July 25th, and I set off for Wheeling. On July 29th, still waiting for my goods, I called NA's so-called "customer service," I was informed that my goods were still in KC; they supposedly couldn't find a driver.

I e-mailed and called again on August 1st; customer "service" still couldn't tell me anything. On August 2nd, I called again and was told they were scheduled to load my goods on August 4th, with a delivery date of August 9th. I confirmed those dates by phone the following day. On August 8th, a truck from NA unexpectedly showed up at my door. However, in the course of their sloppy move into my house, the driver told me this was only a partial shipment; the rest was coming on another truck. He could not say whether it would arrive on August 9th as promised.

Today, August 9th, after waiting all morning, I called customer "service" around noon. They now inform me that the rest of my goods are still in a warehouse in KC; they are trying to find a driver. I ask to speak to the customer "service" representative's boss. He has no answers for me, and accuses me of being abusive when I point out his ignorance -- ignorance to which he has just admitted. I can't get any answers to my questions, including why they have so thoroughly botched my move. Who do I call? How do I get the rest of my household goods?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2005

I had a large container of household goods etc moved from Cincinnati to Sydney. Damages and losses were unfortunately incurred. It is nearly 8 months and North American Van Lines are not attempting to settle the claim in a satisfactory manner - they are not answering my emails in a timely manner.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2005

My fiance and I moved from Los Angeles, CA to Fargo, North Dakota last month. We received quotes from several moving companies before deciding to choose North American to move all of our belongings. The movers came on 7-14-05, as scheduled, and loaded all of our belongings onto a van. That went fine. We were told our belongings would be delivered sometime between July 20-27. It is now 8-1-05 and our stuff has not left Los Angeles.

Everytime we call North American Customer service, they tell us they have not found a driver yet and they have pushed back the delivery dates twice now. Today we were told our belongings are tentatively scheduled to be delivered a week from Saturday (August 13), IF they can find a driver to pick it up this Saturday (August 6). We have nothing in our new house and are living with our 2 dogs, 2 cats, 3 changes of clothes, and a few pieces of silverware. We feel there is nothing we can do as all of our belongings are in a warehouse in the care of North American Van Lines and do not know how yelling and screaming over the phone will get any more done than being as polite as possible while explaining how frustrated we are.

Original review: June 29, 2005

I moved from CA to MO and my stuff was picked up on 6-20-05 and the delivery was promised between 6-27-05 and 7-01-05. Now I am being told that it will not be delivered till 7-6-05. I am suppose to be working from home, I will not have my files, computer in time after my vacation ends on 7-1 and there will be loss of revenue, I also have two children that need refrigerated food and milk.

Original review: June 15, 2005

We were packed on June 11, 2005 with and agreed upon delivery date of June 16-18th at our new home in Englewood, CO. We were told the van would be in transit on Monday, June 14th for delivery closer to the 16th. However, the scheduled driver that NA had lined up, suddenly became unavailable. We are being continually told that until a driver comes through the San Diego area and agrees to move our belongings, that no delivery date can be given to us.

So, all we can do is sit and wait. They have claimed that we will be reimbursed for certain limited expenses, but they will fall well short of actual and realistic expenses. We have nowhere to turn and are receiving absolutely no help from the company.

Original review: May 18, 2005

My goods were loaded into a moving truck on 4/14/05 in San Clemente, CA headed for New Brunswick, Canada. I flew to New Brunswick on 4/18. The agreed delivery date for my goods and furniture was 4/19 - 5/3/05. As of 5/2, I had not heard from anyone from North American Van Lines. I called them and they stated that the goods were still in California and they had no idea when they would be shipped. They stated that they would call me back with details.

After several days, I still had not heard from the moving company, so I called back and was given the same answer: the goods were still in California and were not yet scheduled to be shipped. As of today, my shipment is 15 days past the end of the delivery window and I have not yet received word from North American on its status.

North American Van Lines Company Information