4.0/5 (515 ratings)

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves for residential, corporate and military clients. The company makes moves to all 50 states. Common additional services include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and furniture disassembly. North American Van Lines partners with more than 500 local moving companies.

Pros

• Corporate relocations
  • Shipment tracking
  • Instant quote estimate

Cons

• Potentially pricey

Bottom Line

North American Van Lines completes every type of move. Its fast quote feature is handy, but consumer reviews point out shortcomings like tardy movers and mishandled or broken items.

North American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2009

we moved from temple TX to klamath fall or north American van lines moved us. they dropped and broke some of our thing lost 9 boxes and someone broken into our file cabinet and stold 4yrs of taxes paper. as result of this our identity was stolen. i have had credit used by our people, and our bank account was used by someone.we are senior citizen

Original review: Nov. 8, 2008

My expeience with North American was frankly awful. First the moving crew spend more time trying to hustle tips from me and my family instead of loading. Then, there was no driver going to my drop off destinnation. The load ended up being 10 days late to storage, so I paid for an empty strorage facility. Best of all, they lost a leg to my cherry dining room table, broke a leg off my ty stand and I ended up with some tools apparently stolen. My daughter actually witnessed the leg being broken off the TV stand. North American denied any claims stating that my underage son signed the inventory. Of course the inventory was basically unreadable and didn;t list all the items moved anyhow.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2008

North American showed up on time to pack my house for a move from Memphis to Tampa. Everything went great and I was actually feeling okay about the move until the gentleman doing the packing said that someone else would be picking up my items. The first thing is they underestimated the size of the truck that they needed and I had to leave some of my yard decorations as well as craming things into the minivan and on top of it. He said that he could get another truck but it would not be until the next day and we had to be out of our house. I also had to ask that certain items be protected. The driver showed up a day late stating that he did not have the right phone number which I gave to him just as he left. The guys unloaded some of my items to storage and I already started to notice damage. It wasn't until we reached my apartment that the real damage was apparent. All of my furniture was damaged. I had two brand new cribs, two new dressers and hutches that were damaged. I had an amoire that was in one peice when it left but showed up in seven pieces. A complete loss. I also had an antique amoire that was damaged. Even the strollers for my girls were damaged. I refused to pay since the amount I owe North American will not cover the cost of replacing my items. I am filing my claim right now so I guess we will see what they say. It's funny that the driver never even asked for payment. I guess he realized what he had done.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2008

The movers deliberately misinformed/lied to me about my delivery date and my initial estimate (I ended being charged an extra thousand dollars or so - think their subcontractor also manipulated me on the volume/cost he charged me for, but I foolishly let it slide at the time, in the false hopes that my possessions would be well handled and I would be taken care of). Then when my goods arrived over a week late, several items were damaged. I repaired one item myself, and spent several hours completing thorough, detailed claim paperwork, only to receive a curt, one sentence email saying I was not eligible for compensation, but not adequately justifying this. I continued to call and email, and was avoided, and have received no further response to my grievances after several months. I have given up pursuing the matter because I don't have the time and money to continue going after these unprofessional people, who I feel should not be allowed to remain in business. I have reported them to the DOT already, too.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2008

We moved from California to Texas in June 2008 and we had never moved out of the state or cross country and North American assured us that we had nothing to worry about and that they were there to help us take the stress away but they added to the stress instead. They not only damaged the items that they had, they destroyed our brand new house.

They didn't cover our hard wood floor properly and so now we need the entire area replaced but when I put the claim in and I went above and beyond what I needed to do, they would only give me half of my repair cost. They said that there is always some liability on our part and that because the driver didn't put it on the paperwork then they were only going to give us half.

Well, I explained that not only did the driver have no professionalism but he never did any paperwork. He wanted to leave so bad that he didn't do anything. The two individuals that helped him unload were so rude to him also that at one point the driver and one of his helpers was closed in my office getting ready to physically fight! They didn't leave until 11:30 pm and our house was a wreck! I will never do business with them again and I hope that no one else does either.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2008

After all the hidous nightmare of living barely through North American Van Lines theft of our household valued at over $1,000,000.This crime that was forced on my children and myself has left us below the poverty line. North American Van Lines, converted our property for their own financial gain. We have been informed by Noorth American Van Lines that they have sold all of our property. This criminal act of North American Van Lines is all the worse due to the fact they have cashed in Security bonds, E-Bonds,and additionl valuable income.

Identity theft, medical issues, detachment disorder, nightmares, loss of all things that grounded our family emotionally and psycologically to our past and our roots. Loss of living standard, loss of idenity, loss of confidence, loss of trust, the daily living with the burden of being violated by this large corporation and its ugly, and dishonest behavior to the unsupecting consumer.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2008

We have and still are plauged by Idenity Theft, since all passports, death certificated, marriage lic, birth records, tax returns, Social Security Numbers etc. are and have been under the control of North American Van Lines. North American Van Lines state in their booklet provided to the consumer that if they sell your property, all money above their claim shall be sent to the person whose property they sold. Notice: I am still waiting for my check in the amount of $980,000.00. This fraudlent claim of North American Van Lines is difficult enough to handle, but the fact that now North American Van Lines has not followed through by returning my funds of $980,000,.00 is in direct conflict with their published guaranteed promise they make to the consumer.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2008

My iron four poster bed had 3 of the 4 posts broken. My 17 flat screen TV was missing. It was packed in its original box so it was clear what was in the carton. The original contract called for 100% replacement insurance as part of the pricing. Later received a call that the company had 'changed their policy' and I had to pay for insurance.

My goods were delayed for one week in Florida 'looking for a driver.' I was very unhappy with the 'service' and the response to my claim for damage and loss. Since I signed the paperwork before realizing that my TV was never entered on the original listing, they totally discounted this even though I called the agent in Ormand Beach the day after the goods were unloaded.

I don't think anything will come of all of this. Things like this generally get 'forgotten' by the companies involved. I will end up having my bed repaired...even though I gave it to them in 'good faith.' As to my TV, I guess it is a lesson learned for me. I am just surprised that my computer made it...it was packed in its original box also.

Original review: July 30, 2008

I am very disappointed by the position taken and response given by North American in regards to handling a claim. This indeed further represents the overall very poor service displayed by North American, the driver, movers and agents who represent [their] company and handled my move. I chose North American to handle my move based on a service level that was promoted and promised by one of the contracted agents--Randy who worked with East Coast moving. He conducted an assessment of our needs, sized up the location, he arranged for the driver and crew assembled to handle the move.

Upon arriving, the tractor trailer was too large to properly navigate the driveway. It ended up tearing up a significant portion of my lower driveway as well as denting a significant portion of my front lawn. They did not go for another vehicle because they were in too much of a hurry. No offer of compensation was made. In fact, the driver told us that North American would not even cover his costs of a dented fender. There appears to be a trend here with the company not acknowledging responsibility in any manner.

In their response letter they asserted the Driver was not instructed to load the treadmill. That is factually incorrect. We walked through the house with the driver and movers, gave specific instructions on which items were to be moved and which ones weren't. The treadmill was labeled with a tag to be moved and even listed on the move sheet. In spite of this, it was not moved. The driver further admitted to us in Calgary that he recalled the treadmill, that it was supposed to be included with the filing cabinet and that he "should not have had the 16 year old kid do the final walk through." The fact was, they delegated and were in too much of a hurry.

In addition to not following proper instructions, the movers were also advised that specific items that were instructed not to be moved (front porch wicker furniture) and yet they were loaded. When we caught the mistake while they were still loading, they advised us that it was too far in the truck and would require a major effort to unload to get to it and that they did not have time. Again--in too much of a hurry.

They then claimed it was a courtesy to return to attempt to get the treadmill, when in fact it was their responsibility and a major inconvenience for us to have to come back. We were called by the movers on Friday at my parents who accepted the call. The moving team advised my parents that they were 30 minutes away (at another location in New River Beach) and would be down around 3 pm that day. Given that we were handing over possession of the house at 5 pm that day, we waited until the very last minute for the movers to arrive. They showed up around 6--at which time the house was locked and we no longer had access. The only things that could be recovered were the outdoor lamps (which also then went missing in the transition).

They claimed that all items were delivered to our place of residence. This is also incorrect. The driver advised us on arrival that he had a crew available but only a short window of time to unload and that it would be quicker not to use the check off list on items delivered. Once again we get the "hurried" statement. He advised us that in signing the move sheet, we were not confirming receipt of all items, just acknowledging that they had made delivery of inventory on the truck. He struck out the treadmill off the sheet and indicated that this was to validate that it should have been moved, but did not arrive. He assured us that we could resolve this in filing a claim through Randy.

When we contacted Randy, he told us he had "sold the contract"--in essence saying "I've got paid - no longer my responsibility". It was only at this time that we realized that he was not an employee, but an agent. He advised us that we should call the owner and resolve the issue with him. When we called the owner, he said that he would make an attempt to pick up the filing cabinet and treadmill at a time when it was convenient for them--saying that it should be picked up and shipped within 2 - 4 weeks. We never received any phone call or update for two months. When I called back after that time I learned that he had the filing cabinet sitting in a warehouse for a while and that the treadmill was unaccounted for. I advised him that I would be filing a claim.

After [we] talked, I received an initial customer feedback form. I completed it with similar information, but never received a response. In my responses with Sirva (which is the parent company of Northamerican) they said on three different occasions that they would get back to me within a certain time. This never happened and I was the one who had to call back a few weeks later on each event. Here are the reasons why I provided them saying that the claim should be paid as requested. The driver was specifically instructed to include the treadmill and filing cabinet. These items were tagged (verified by myself, my wife and even acknowledged by the driver) to be picked up. This was further validated in the fact that it was initially recorded on the sheet to be picked up and then voided on the other end to indicate it never arrived.

The driver acknowledged that these items were missed at time of pickup and even admitted he made a mistake in sending a 16 year old back through the final walk through. We were never advised that it was our responsibility to be present for the final walk through. The driver's left before the scheduled departure time--another indication of them being in a hurry. My driveway and lawn were chewed up in the process of trying to navigate the driveway with too large a vehicle--even though the moving agent (Randy) had assessed the location previously. The movers demonstrated a further inability to follow instructions in loading the wicker furniture. They were reluctant to unload when the mistake was found

Clear lack of and misleading information was provided to us the customer when we were not made aware that we were dealing with an agent and a subcontractor of the moving company and not directly with North American. We were incorrectly advised by the Driver that it was not a big deal to use the check-off list at the point of delivery and in fact, we would be helping the situation by not using the sheet. We were also improperly advised what a signature on the sheet represented and what crossing off the treadmill represented. There obviously seems to be an approach that says, what can Northamerican do to avoid paying a claim to a customer or resolving this situation. This, even though and the company representatives have admitted mistakes and misled the customer. We were very fair and patient in our claim and response. The service, response and follow-up we have been given is unsatisfactory.

This situation represents an extremely poor service-minded approach. Northamerican made mistakes that were preventable on their part. They caused damage to the property I was selling and various representatives show a high disregard for the customer and made direct misleading statements that must be acknowledged and responsibility taken for the fallout of those issues. I am very upset about this.

When I provided them with a week to resolve in my third follow up, I received absolutely no response--even to this day (5 months later). This in spite of the fact, and I directly quote from their representaitive: It is our desire to promptly handle all claims in a manner which will be equitable to all concerned. You will always find us with an open mind, and a cooperative attitude toward our mutual efforts to conclude your claim in a proper fashion. This company takes an approach "not our responsibility" and "what can we do to avoid resolving this with the customer". Out $3500 for a treadmill and misisng outdoor lights

Original review: July 23, 2008

Articles were delivered damaged and broken, including many valuable antiques. Boxes packed were delivered empty. Mirror missing, dolphin sculpture missing. Kirby vacuum missing. Medication was stolen, sheriff was called, have police report. When mover was confronted about the damage he said it was already like that and it wasn't. 6 people moved items into storage and he moved items out by himself. Then had the nerve to call me a **. Nothing was handled with respect and care that it deserved for such a costly move.

200 yr. old music stand had leg broken off. Almost all furniture had some kind of damage, including crushed boxes. Dining room table had legs cracked and loose. Arms on the chairs were loose. JenAire stainless steel refrigerator had scratches on the door. Kitchenaid Washing machine door won't latch. Lamps damaged, even one broken as he brought it into house. Antique towel rack was so damaged it's bent over.

Original review: July 17, 2008

We booked a move through the Moving Connection, in Linthicum, Maryland, for shipment from Silver Spring, Maryland, to Duluth, Minnesota. Pick-up date was July 7, 2008, and delivery dates were July 11-18, 2008. On July 9, I called and was told that our shipment would arrive no later than July 17. On that date, when our things did not arrive, I contacted North American's "customer service" people and was told that their records showed that no driver had yet been assigned to make the delivery, while the Maryland company was saying that we were in the computer for July 22.

We pointed out the contradictory stories and cited North American's Rights and Responsibilities, which clearly states in Subpart F: "When your mover is unable to perform either the pickup or delivery of your shipment on the dates or during he periods of time specified in the order for service, your mover must notify you of the delay, at the mover's expense. As soon as the delay becomes apparent to your mover, it must give you notification it will be unable to provide the service specified in the terms of the order for service." We were never notified of the delay or of their inability to provide the service.

My wife is scheduled to start a job next week, and she has none of her clothes. We have been without furniture for ten days, sleeping on an Aero Bed. Neither North American nor its subsidiary has returned my calls, demanding that they honor the terms of their binding estimate.

Original review: June 13, 2008

I contacted the company to have them deliver me merchandise witch i purchased from four companies in the Los Angeles area. I provided them with a manufacturers packing list witch included the exact dimensions and weight. The proceeded in sending me a quotation ($4045/$1113 cu.ft.) witch I accepted. The charged me a 10% fee for deposit. After making the pickups from the four established locations, they charged me another 50% without the contract or my signature authorization.

After having my merchandise and payments in their possession, the company comes up with a overcharge ($4277.62) on top of the original quotation/price that we both agreed on previously. The overcharge consists in an additional 513 cubic feet that is inexistent; priced at more than double the rate. I contacted them to solve this matter and cancel the job since i could not agree with the new overcharges. They refused to refund me the money or the merchandise they have in their possession. I can not get in touch with them any more because every time i call they hang up the phone.

Original review: June 11, 2008

We moved from MA to CA at the end of Feb, 2008. We were given an estimate and paid in full up front by credit card., almost $10,000. We received our goods on March 6,2008 in good condition and the bill of lading showed the actual cost of the move was less than $8400. North American owes us $1600, which they freely admit, after many phone calls and a letter to the presdient of the company.

However, up to this time, June 11, they have told us that a check was sent to the wrong address, the wrong amount was put on a check($150, not $1600) and that they have the right to delay for six months and they are having a problem expiditing the payment. Why is it taking months to get our money back when we paid upfront in February?

We are a couple on a fixed income. We moved to CA for the weather and to be near our family. We need the money!

Original review: May 28, 2008

Alex Moving and Storage, an agent for North American Van Lines, packed our belongings in Oceanside, California on December 14, 2007 and stored them Santa Ana, California before delivering them to our new home in Buckley, Washington, on May 24, 2008. The truck took 3 days to move our belongings from California to Washington. When they arrived, two particularly important items were damaged. One was a leather chair. The arm seam had been repaired previously and was intact before the move.

When the chair arrived, the leather had split where the repair had been. More importantly, we own a large, 3 piece antique armoire. It was in good working order when it was placed in storage. The movers brought it in to the house in 3 pieces and assembled the armoire. They complained heartily that the middle piece (the storage portion with an oval mirror) was inordinately heavy. When we attempted to close the door we found the piece loaded with boxes of belongings that were, indeed, extremely heavy. The door appeared to be twisted somehow and would not close. Nails were protruding.

The claims adjuster suggested that all we needed to do was saw off the bottom of the door and then it would fit just fine. We are unwilling to cut up our beautiful armoire to fit. Our requests for repair of the chair and the armoire were denied twice. We were informed that the armoire had suffered damage "due to the age and shrinkage of the unit". The unit, which we have owned in good working condition for 29 years, has been in fine condition in Southern California. It was stored in the same climate until the 3-day trip to Washington. We do not understand why it would shrink in storage. One of the agents suggested that the damp climate in Washington caused the problem. It had not spent any time in a damp climate.

North American Van Lines will not accept responsibility for the repair. They also refuse to consider repairing the leather chair because they feel that the seam split at a stress point. They consider this an "inherent vice" because we told them the chair had been repaired in that area previously. We are reluctantly willing to concede regarding the chair, but we are heartbroken about our armoire. We are hoping you can help us. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2006

We moved from Dallas to Wichita. It was a corporate relocation and Allied Van Lines actually packed us and loaded us in Dallas. That experience was great and we felt the packaging and care to our belongings was outstanding. The problem arose when our goods had to be stored once they arrived in Wichita. King's Moving and Storage took over from Allied once the items arrived. They were supposedly crated and placed into King's Storage. Upon arriving at our home, two months later (North American delivered the goods), we found many of our items to be badly damaged and filthy. All appliances that were shipped (washer, dry and small chest freezer) were crushed and inoperable.

When bringing in a very expensive dresser, they didn't bother to use a pad on the piece or to even pad the dolly. As a result, the dresser was gouged on one entire side as they drug the dolly on it's side up 4 brick steps dragging our dresser on the bricks! As they unloaded the dresser off the dolly into the bedroom, they broke one of the legs off of it entirely. I walked into the room as it was snapping off and asked what had happened. One of the guys shrugged his shoulder and said oh well, it's not my problem. Call the company and make a complaint.

I told him not to take that attitude with me and they walked out and refused to work. They sat out in their truck refusing to work because they said we were abusive. Nothing at all was said that was even the slightest bit offensive to them. Todd, their supervisor, was called and we asked him to come out and help supervise the move as we felt they were not appropriately handling our furniture, and he refused. He was very rude and said we could pack our belongings back up and have another crew some other day deliver, but it was summer time and he didn't know when they could get to it.

Also, we felt insecure about them reloading our belongings and being the ones to unload them back into the warehouse. Then we found out that our belongings had been crated in 3 crates and they only had one! It took them all day to locate the other 2 crates and bring them out to our home. The driver was mad and took it out on us. Barely speaking to us and when he did, he used a very rude tone. They left us at 7pm that night with nothing assembled (they refused to put anything back together), badly damaged and broken items and a very unprofessional experience in general. We have moved 6 times in 11 years and have NEVER experienced anything like this!

We have thousands of dollars in damage to our household goods. We had to go out the day after moving in and replace our appliances as we cannot be without appliances while fighting them over claims.

Original review: July 28, 2006

On 5/24/06 I had someone meet the delivery company at my new house until I arrived in late June. North American was great until I noticed that item #93 was missing due to the fact that I got someone elses item #93. I notified North American at the end of june due to the fact I had just arrived and noticed this error. My receiver did not notice the error due to the fact that the driver was calling #s out and showing no damage and those #s were being marked off. North American wants me to return the other #93 and has declined my insurance claim saying they have a signed invoice saying all my items were received.

All items were received because the person thought that was my item which it was not. I paid for the insurance to cover actual value with no deductible and now they dont want to stand behind that even though I can prove I have the wrong #93 what are my options this is not right as that box contained baseball and other collector memoribilla that was not cheap and in return I have a kids chair.

Original review: May 12, 2006

The driver was rerouted and then delayed with my shipment to be delivered two days past my final delivery date put on the contract. After several calls, finally spoke to Cindy (who told me her superior was the President of the corporation). I explained to her why I needed my shipment by the contract deadline and she became rude with me and hung up on me twice. I never once yelled at her nor called her any kind of name or was abusive with her. She was completely rude (along with hanging up on me), refused to give me the driver's supervisor's name (who lied to the Northern California Rep by telling him my apartment complex told him -- the supervisor -- they wouldn't allow delivery on a Saturday); she would not give me the license number of the company until I asked for it four times. I then told her I would be filing a lawsuit if she didn't get my shipment to me before the day I started an important new job.

She then told me it was because of my calling that the driver was being delayed -- when I called I called the first time, I was told the driver was already delayed. The driver, Douglas called an hour after I had spent nearly seven hours on the phone with the company trying to get the issue resolved. He was verbally harassing to me and kept insisting I should have called him and not the company -- when the company told me if he didn't call within 24 hours of the locked in date (which he didn't), I was to call the company. He stated he didn't have time to argue with me but I was wrong in calling the company. He stated he was a human being who needed a day off (which was why he apparently couldn't deliver on Sunday -- a day after the contract deadline delivery date).

The northern California rep and dispatcher both told me there was no reason, from looking at their dispatch screen, that he couldn't get to me by his contract deadline date, yet Cindy continued to insist he just couldn't. They owe me one night's compensation for going over the contract deadline plus compensation for the things I had to buy for my new job which I wouldn't have had to do if they had arrived by the final contract delivery date. My load was a small load and so I was placed in low priority -- and they kept rerouting him to pick up bigger deliveries. The driver, Douglas, also told me it would be very difficult for him to deliver on a weekend because of all the residents being home at my complex. I told him there are many other moving companies that deliver on the weekend with no problem. I am still waiting to see if I get my furnishings, clothing, valuables, etc, by Sunday -- a day past the contract last delivery date.

Original review: March 22, 2006

Following is a copy of a letter I sent over 3 months ago to the President of the local affiliate of North American Van Lines. To date , I have not had a response. In addition, 2 months ago I filed a claim for a broken shelf ina dining room credenza. Again, to date, no response. About a month ago, I sent an e-mail to the national office of North American Van Lines relating my problems. Needless to say, no response. I would certainly recommend that if someone is looking for a reputable, responsive mover, they do not consider North American Van Lines.

December 21, 2005
Michael ****
Personal & Confidential
Valley Transportation Group
**** Road

Phoenix AZ 85043

Re: Order Number: PHX-0136950

Dear Mr. ****:

I'm writing about our local residential move on December 16th.

First, my commendations to Raoul ( our packer ) and Carlos ( head of the moving crew). All went smoothly in their efforts although we have not yet completed unpacking. We did incur one significant problem regarding the estimate/ bill. When Gary Reynolds prepared the estimate for our move, he saw our 42" tv and included it in our estimate.

A day before our packing was to be done, when I called the office to ask if I had to make any special preparations ( cables etc.) on any of my tv's, I mentioned that the 42" tv was a plasma tv. That was the first time I was told there would be a $225 charge for crating that tv.

I called Gary to find out why that wasn't included in the estimate, he told me he wasn't aware it was a plasma tv. It would seem logical to me that if he is not able to determine whether or not it was a plasma tv by looking at it, knowing there was considerable additional expense involved, he should have asked if it was a plasma television. I should not have been told the day before my move to either pay $225 or move it myself.

At this time, I'm requesting a refund of the $225 charge. I hope that you would value your company's goodwill and reputation regarding referrals to meet my request.

Sincerely,

Robert ****

Original review: Jan. 26, 2006

Estimate vs actual charges. My first estimate on moving one bedroom apt furniture was between 2300-2500 lb. Second estimate 2700-3000 lb. Actual lb charged at destination 3900. In dollars, I was estimated the move would be approx $2500-$3000. Actual charges at destination $4990. My question is how can these moving companies be allowed to overcharge/"over weight" and continue to operate?

I moved these same goods from Brea, CA to Bossier, La in 2002 for a charge of $2300. Now to return to Palm Desert from Bossier City, La, (via North Americn Van Lines) I am charged $3400, plus $1500 to place the furniture in storage. With this type of thing being so prevalent, how can a potential victim protect themselves, and how can I possibly fight this? How do van lines and agents manage to stay in business with this type of overcharging being so prevalent and well known by the public?

There was even an article in our local desert news re the gouging of moving companies to customers..how can this type of thing be allowed to continue? Sure I can ask for a re-weighing of my goods, but first I have to have the $4990 + more storage, on hand to bail out my goods.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2006

Although this was a very large move with guaranteed pay by the government, the company grossly understaffed the move resulting in excessive damage and lost items. Additionally, the labor provided was negligent in assembly of our furniture resulting in a king size bed collapsing while we were asleep and childrens bunk beds that were in jeopardy of collapse had we not immediatly inspected the other beds after the collapse of the first bed.

The size of the move required at least five movers to ensure safety, timeliness and care of our property. North American only provided 3 movers plus the driver. As a result, numerous items were broken, furniture was incorrectly assembled resulting in collapse and damage. Many items clearly marked by the packers were not placed in the room it was marked to be placed in and most were "buried" in the basement by movers who were tired and just started throwing boxes in the basement.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2005

Damage to personal property after a sucessful move from Colorado to California. Claims department, drivers, origination and destination offices all claim no responsibility/liability. The claims department instructed me to use the official claims process which limited their liability but technically this was property damage subsequent to a successful move.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2005

Shipment was scheduled to be delivered to Nashville between 10/18/05 and 10/20/05 from New Jersey. Arrangements had already been made for the shipment to then be delivered to the customer on 10/21. Shipment did not arrive as promised. North American was called to track the shipment and stated it was sitting in Atlanta and the delivery date had been changed. When asked who changed the date was told the carrier did without any kind of notification to the receiving party. When asked if the shipment could be delivered to Nashville on the 21st since Atlanta's only 3 hours away was informed the delivery date was now 10/24.

This is unacceptable and may cost the company a valued customer. Recommendations are being sent to our corporate office requesting North American be cancelled as a carrier for any movement of our equipment. Not only are they unreliable, they just don't care.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2005

In late June, I contracted with King's Moving & Storage, an agent of North American Van Lines, to move my household to Wheeling, WV (787 miles) on July 25, 2005, with promised delivery between July 28th and August 4th. North American loaded my household goods on July 25th, and I set off for Wheeling. On July 29th, still waiting for my goods, I called NA's so-called "customer service," I was informed that my goods were still in KC; they supposedly couldn't find a driver.

I e-mailed and called again on August 1st; customer "service" still couldn't tell me anything. On August 2nd, I called again and was told they were scheduled to load my goods on August 4th, with a delivery date of August 9th. I confirmed those dates by phone the following day. On August 8th, a truck from NA unexpectedly showed up at my door. However, in the course of their sloppy move into my house, the driver told me this was only a partial shipment; the rest was coming on another truck. He could not say whether it would arrive on August 9th as promised.

Today, August 9th, after waiting all morning, I called customer "service" around noon. They now inform me that the rest of my goods are still in a warehouse in KC; they are trying to find a driver. I ask to speak to the customer "service" representative's boss. He has no answers for me, and accuses me of being abusive when I point out his ignorance -- ignorance to which he has just admitted. I can't get any answers to my questions, including why they have so thoroughly botched my move. Who do I call? How do I get the rest of my household goods?

Original review: Aug. 9, 2005

I had a large container of household goods etc moved from Cincinnati to Sydney. Damages and losses were unfortunately incurred. It is nearly 8 months and North American Van Lines are not attempting to settle the claim in a satisfactory manner - they are not answering my emails in a timely manner.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2005

My fiance and I moved from Los Angeles, CA to Fargo, North Dakota last month. We received quotes from several moving companies before deciding to choose North American to move all of our belongings. The movers came on 7-14-05, as scheduled, and loaded all of our belongings onto a van. That went fine. We were told our belongings would be delivered sometime between July 20-27. It is now 8-1-05 and our stuff has not left Los Angeles.

Everytime we call North American Customer service, they tell us they have not found a driver yet and they have pushed back the delivery dates twice now. Today we were told our belongings are tentatively scheduled to be delivered a week from Saturday (August 13), IF they can find a driver to pick it up this Saturday (August 6). We have nothing in our new house and are living with our 2 dogs, 2 cats, 3 changes of clothes, and a few pieces of silverware. We feel there is nothing we can do as all of our belongings are in a warehouse in the care of North American Van Lines and do not know how yelling and screaming over the phone will get any more done than being as polite as possible while explaining how frustrated we are.

Original review: June 29, 2005

I moved from CA to MO and my stuff was picked up on 6-20-05 and the delivery was promised between 6-27-05 and 7-01-05. Now I am being told that it will not be delivered till 7-6-05. I am suppose to be working from home, I will not have my files, computer in time after my vacation ends on 7-1 and there will be loss of revenue, I also have two children that need refrigerated food and milk.

Original review: June 15, 2005

We were packed on June 11, 2005 with and agreed upon delivery date of June 16-18th at our new home in Englewood, CO. We were told the van would be in transit on Monday, June 14th for delivery closer to the 16th. However, the scheduled driver that NA had lined up, suddenly became unavailable. We are being continually told that until a driver comes through the San Diego area and agrees to move our belongings, that no delivery date can be given to us.

So, all we can do is sit and wait. They have claimed that we will be reimbursed for certain limited expenses, but they will fall well short of actual and realistic expenses. We have nowhere to turn and are receiving absolutely no help from the company.

Original review: May 18, 2005

My goods were loaded into a moving truck on 4/14/05 in San Clemente, CA headed for New Brunswick, Canada. I flew to New Brunswick on 4/18. The agreed delivery date for my goods and furniture was 4/19 - 5/3/05. As of 5/2, I had not heard from anyone from North American Van Lines. I called them and they stated that the goods were still in California and they had no idea when they would be shipped. They stated that they would call me back with details.

After several days, I still had not heard from the moving company, so I called back and was given the same answer: the goods were still in California and were not yet scheduled to be shipped. As of today, my shipment is 15 days past the end of the delivery window and I have not yet received word from North American on its status.

North American Van Lines Company Information