Nationwide Van Lines

Plantation, FL

Compare Moving Companies

Research top Moving Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I could write a book on this company. But, they are not worth my time to do so. If this helps one person from procuring their services, this review is worth it. As others have mentioned, I had an absolutely terrible experience with this company. In the beginning, they were as polite as possible, as responsive to any question that I had. Once I signed the contract and paid the deposit, things went south, and very far south.

There are three primary issues that I have with this company. The first of which is that they lied about when I would receive my furniture and personal belongings. They breached the contract in taking more than the time allotted for in the contract. And because I was unavailable due to business travel a week after the last day they were supposed to arrive, but were actually going to arrive, they said that was my fault and I would have to wait WEEKS longer. I was living in a new city with only what came with me in my car for over a month!

The second issue is that all of my boxes showed up dented, ripped open, torn apart, and my belongings visible from the outside of the box. Not only had my boxes appeared to have been thrown from a rooftop, the lost three legs of my couch and screws to my desk. The delivery guys had no answer as to where these things might be, other than telling me to note it on the deliver slip. I did so but never heard back from anyone regarding my lost items. When the deliver guys showed up, one of them immediately asked me to sign a piece of paper confirming that all of my items (in an itemized checklist) had been delivered, undamaged, and in the same condition that they were in when they were picked up. I refused, and the guys scoffed at me as if this was absurd that I sign this prior to them even unloading and giving me a chance to inspect my items, which I later found out were not all delivered, undamaged and in the same condition.

Another issue, and a VERY LARGE ISSUE AT THAT, is that when I was speaking to a guy over the phone about my items being very late and he couldn't help me, I asked who his manager was. He told me the name of the person, and I asked to speak to him. He said, "No, you can just talk to me." This was repeated multiple times before he outright told me he wasn't letting me talk to his manager, and even getting to the point of his raising his voice with me. No respect for the customer and the money I had spent on their services.

In the end, I want it to be known that this company does not deserve your business. Please choose another company to move your valuable belongings. While this company may appear to be able to help you at an affordable rate, they will let you down and potentially damage your belongings while doing so. I intend to post this as many places as possible on the Internet so that no one else falls for these criminals and their shifty business practices. I am astonished they are still in business, and am confident they are treating others the same way as they did me after reading some of the other reviews. BE AWARE OF THIS COMPANY! DO NOT USE NATIONWIDE VAN LINES!!!

The movers who showed up to pack our home were sloppy and reckless. They had to be told multiple times to pack things they were ignoring. They dropped furniture. We should have paid more attention. When they got to our home, we realized they destroyed our office furniture. When we began unpacking it go worse. We have to get all of our business clothes dry-cleaned as they stuffed the bottom of the wardrobe boxes with a few feet of items so the clothes were all wrinkled on top. They did not wrap picture frames and artwork - they threw it into boxes with random items also not wrapped. We spent the day going through broken glass, wrinkled clothes and other mishandled items. We have moved before and have never seen such negligence.

I've moved with other companies in the past and have never had such a bad experience. In addition to their practice of suppressing negative reviews through signed settlement contracts, you should avoid Nationwide Van Lines because KNOWINGLY send out movers that are unprepared and behave unprofessionally and who cause damages to your property. Despite the fact that Nationwide Van Lines, Inc. sent out a mover that has received multiple complaints and has since been dismissed from their company, their claims process is inexplicably slow. It took them over 30 days to even acknowledge the receipt of my claim and over three months to process the claim. Here are some details about my move:

1. Unprofessional behavior: On pickup, the movers strongly hinted to me 3 to 4 times to generously tip them, as this is not an easy job and that they're the ones doing all the hard work. They also told me that if I took care of them with a tip, then they would take care of me. This is not acceptable behavior. Any person in this scenario would believe that if they didn't tip them, then they would not take care of their stuff. They completely missed both pickup and delivery windows. The pickup window was from 9 am - 1 pm. They didn't arrive until 3:30 pm. They blamed it on bad traffic. They spent an hour setting up blankets before they came up to the apartment at 4:30 to start wrapping furniture. I had to stay there until 10 pm before they were finished completely. And this is even with having packed all of the boxes before the move.

The delivery window was also from 9 am - 1 pm. They did not arrive until 7 pm. Again, they blamed it on traffic and sent me photos via text of traffic, but they told me they were coming from Virginia, which is only a 4-6 hour drive. They were not finished until 11:30 pm, creating a lot of noise for my neighbors, and I received complaints from the leasing office about the noise that they caused at a late hour due to them arriving late. The method used to wrap the furniture was not done in a professional manner. It left considerable adhesive residue from the tape on the furniture, which I had to carefully remove. Additionally, a lot of the blankets used to wrap the furniture were filthy, leaving lots of black soot for me to wipe up.

2. Unprepared: They took apart my futon when no other previous movers had taken it apart. This would have been fine with me, but upon delivery, they forgot how to put it back together. Fortunately, I was watching them take it apart and had to give them directions. Also, in order to unwrap the blankets, they needed to cut the tape on there. They didn't even have a box boxer available and asked to use my chef's knife to cut the tape. Fortunately, I had a box cutter available that I provided (Ironically, the box cutter was left over from a previous moving company's move - they were prepared!).

3. Damages: All of the boxes upon delivery were dented or smashed in some way or the other, which only happens if items were improperly secured or if the movers stacked too many boxes on top of each box. My bike was bent from too much weight being placed on top of it. There was a large dent/chip into one of my solid wood bookcases on the front that was transported. I noticed upon moving that the movers only wrapped the sides of the bookcases with blankets, leaving sizable gaps for the shelves to be exposed.

This would not have happened if they wrapped the bookcases completely. The company considered this damage "cosmetic" and would not even offer the full measly $0.60 per pound. BOTTOM LINE: If you want any semblance of a professional move, undamaged property, and a responsive company, do not use Nationwide Van Lines. I'll give up my settlement money so other people won't have to go through this awful moving experience.

Picked up furniture on 5/23 and refused to deliver until the very last day of "window" which was 13 days later! Charged credit card without authorization prior to delivery and lost a box spring, mattress, and a 32-inch television. Poor customer service - first 10 days, no response - after that, it improved but probably as a result finally realizing how wrong they were.

I've been asked to update my review. I would like to simply delete it, as I don't have much to say, but it appears as though this is not an option. "A deal has been reached." Meaning, they are now going after my friend who has no money and already paid around $900, for the remaining $900, which is (as stated in original review) still double and way beyond my given quote for this one bedroom-- but "a deal has been reached."

stephanie of Boca Raton, FL on

Original Review

I am a broke college student. Out of the goodness of my heart, I helped a friend store her items in my condo for over six months, as well as booked her move for her with this unfortunate excuse for a moving company. I was quoted $1000 for ONE BEDROOM's worth of belongings. This included a full mattress, a chair, a leaning wall desk, some boxes -- whatever you might find in ONE BEDROOM. Anyway, they were two weeks late with the delivery to Georgia. When the driver of the truck, who goes by the name **, got to Georgia, he decided to double the price of the move and did not consult anyone involved. They are now refusing to provide us with an itemized statement from what they cultivated on the date of pick-up, and are holding my friend's items hostage, as well as threatening to sell her things at auction.

I have been dealing with these undesirables for weeks now as they continue to raise their price (after doubling it), deny the itemized statement, and hold the items hostage. My friend is also a broke college student who now needs to find an additional $1100, as well as the $1000 I have paid during the course of this fiasco already!!! ONE BEDROOM for $2100, originally QUOTED $1000. Avoid this laughable excuse for a company, and ** in particular. Go with Mayflower!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nationwide Van Lines?

We were misled by our sales representative and received poor customer service. The following incidents occurred: We booked our move with ** on March 5 that which time she advised that our belongings would be delivered within 3-14 days. ** also advised us that we can call 24-48 hours after our items have been picked up to get a delivery date.

Our decision to use Nationwide Van Lines was based on this information ** gave us. Even though the cost was more than other moving companies, we decided to book with Nationwide because we needed our belongings at our new home ASAP and the time frame ** told us was sooner than others. ** and ** came on March 11th to pack up and move our belongings and they did a great job. 48 hours after pick-up we called to get a delivery date but no information was available. We continued to call numerous times throughout the next several weeks and ** from customer service continued to tell us that there was no update without an explanation.

On March 25th (15 days after our belongings were loaded onto the truck) I called and spoke to ** in customer service who informed me that our stuff was at a terminal in New Jersey and it was being loaded onto a truck and that ** (delivery/driver) is picking up stuff from a few more homes and would be en route to Florida the following day (Thursday, March 26th) and that we could expect to receive our items over the weekend. However he could not confirm that.

On Thursday, March 26th I called again to see if someone could confirm a delivery date. I spoke to ** whom I asked why on line # 4 on one of the documents/contracts I signed it states: "to contact the office 1-3 days after pick-up to confirm delivery." It has been going on 3 weeks with no confirmation of a delivery date. He was still unable to provide an explanation as to why Nationwide was still unable to confirm a delivery date and repeated what ** told me the day before.

After getting off the phone with ** I called the sales department as if I were shopping for a quote (or secret shopper) to see if our sales representative intentionally misled us just to make a sale. ** happened to take my call. I explained to her that I was looking to move from MD to FL and asked her what the delivery time frame would be and again she said 3-14 days to receive our stuff from the time of pick-up. I also asked her how long it would take after pick-up to receive a delivery date and again she said 24-48 hours. I did not explain to ** that I was already a customer waiting for our belongings.

After I got off the phone with ** I called ** again and explained to him what ** told me. He said that this info was not correct. I told him that ** who booked our move had been lying to us just to book the sale. He said ** was very good at what she does and that he would go back and listen to our recorded conversation and he would get back to me. Friday, March 26th I called ** for an update; he listened to the recorded phone conversation and confirmed that ** gave us bad information. He apologized and explained that everyone makes mistakes and he would discuss this with her. ** also confirmed that we would be receiving our items on Sunday.

Our items arrived Sunday (18 days after pick up). However some of the furniture and box spring had been damaged during the move. In addition to this there are a few boxes that did not show. There were 111 items that were documented. However a couple of boxes that arrived did not have stickers on them. ** who was in charge of the delivery was in contact with my husband later that day looking for the box(es). However we have not heard from him since Sunday.

The moving experience with Nationwide Van Lines has been exhausting. From the beginning our sales representative ** lied to us to book the sale. No one could confirm a delivery date until 16 days after our furniture had been picked up and this was after calling almost every day requesting an update. Once the furniture arrived there was damages and some boxes never appeared.

Please take the time to review our account. Listen to the recordings and documented timeline and you will find that all of the things that our sales rep. promised was not even close to being delivered. We were misled and lied to and received poor customer service with the exception of the movers who picked up and dropped off our things.

My belongings are being held captive by Major extortionists! Moving from Mass. to Florida is a nightmare with these criminals. Sweet talkers until they get your goods then all hell breaks loose. Late pickup, double pricing, goods in outdoor storage facility in New Jersey for over a month, constant lies by all contacts! Please find a way to arrest these crooks! This is a total crime that needs prosecution immediately! President must be Russian mafia....Tali Maskalik.

Contracted with Nationwide Van Lines to move my household goods from Annapolis, MD to Melbourne, FL. The generous 14 business day delivery deadline ends today and they have no idea when the shipment will arrive.

WORST company I've ever worked with. It feels like I've paid robbers to take my belongings. Biggest bait and switch sales tactics. They promise you "5-day turnaround" and insist to disregard the dates of the contract. I have been waiting approx 20 days thus far for my belongings. They also explain that a consolidated move is sharing a truck with others but deny that your stuff will get offloaded into a storage unit. From a DC to FL move my belongings have now been put in a third party warehouse in JERSEY, in an outdoor unit in the midst of summer.

The property manager of the facility describes the storage unit as an "outdoor shed" and says they cannot control what pests enter the unit (spiders, roaches). NOT OKAY. Furthermore, being pregnant and with a 10-month-old, it's incredibly difficult to not have mattresses and cribs for this length of time. Manny, who is the liaison between dispatch and the consumer, is proving with actions that he does not care about the customer and will remind you that it's a business. You can request multiple times to speak with a supervisor in service, it will never happen. These people seem like crooks that do not practice ethical business standards. I would not trust this company. Period.

I hired Nationwide to move my 94-year-old, legally blind, widowed mother from NJ to Florida. I was promised that although they had to include in their contract a time frame of 3 to 14 days, the delivery in our case would be expedited and should be complete in about a week at most. The salesperson promised that she had spoken with the dispatcher and they were aware of the need for expedition to minimize the upset and disruption to my mother. The salesperson promised we would get a call the middle of the week before the pickup date with an exact pickup schedule. That call never came and we were left hanging.

The next thing was that two days before the scheduled pickup date, I got a call from Manny, who said he wanted to schedule the pickup a day early. I told him that schedule changes like this were exactly what we wanted to avoid and that I was promised this would not happen. He insisted that he was aware of our situation and that this could only expedite the delivery window. Based on this we agreed to a pickup between 9 am and 1 pm the next day.

The next thing was that Manny said the pickup was going to be sometime between 1 pm and 5 pm. I explained that starting a lengthy pickup that late in the day would be very distressful for an elderly woman who goes to bed at around 8 pm, but Manny told me there was nothing he could do except have the driver call me first thing in the morning to confirm a specific time. He promised I would get a call before 9 am. There was no call to schedule a specific time. We waited all day and at around 5 pm, we got a call to us that the movers would come the next day. Manny lied and their disorganized scheduling was unnecessarily stressful.

The team that came did a decent job. The driver told me he was going to take a truck to Florida the next day or so, and he would speak to the dispatcher to see if he could take mom's stuff. He said he would remind everyone how difficult it would be for a 94-year-old, blind widow to be in unfamiliar surroundings for an extended time. The salesperson who quoted us a price underestimated the cost by about $1,000. Other movers gave me a higher price and by low-balling the estimate, Nationwide tricked me into using them. A mistake from start to finish (assuming that they ever actually deliver the property at all). Everyone at Nationwide tells you how they take personal care and interest and try to fit the customer's schedule. It is a lie.

We have been calling and emailing Manny for 12 days since the pickup and he has been telling us that he doesn't know exactly when the delivery is and isn't sure where Mom's belongings currently are. But today he slipped up and finally admitted to my brother that Mom's belongings are still sitting in New Jersey! Do not do business with these people unless you like being lied to repeatedly and treated like dirt.

The "experienced" packers broke 2 of my lamps.... valued at 250.00... After denying my first claim.... and taking 4 months to do so.... I get $18.00 for my 2 lamps... What an insult.... Oh by the way, the move only cost me $3500...... Unbelievable. Never again, DO NOT hire!!!!!!

I called to verify if I had an appointment for Wed at 1:45 pm. The gentleman on the phone was so rude and said they do not serve Albuquerque. I gave him an Estimate number ** created on 7/26/2014. Company phone, 1-800 422 6145. He refused to let me speak with a supervisor. He started yelling, I started yelling and he told me never to call this number again. I used Nationwide before and I was interested in getting a quote again. I want someone to call me back with authority and explain to me why I was treated so horribly.

I called to get a quote for my girlfriend moving up to Virginia from Florida. I gave them all the info they asked for and even asked for confirmation that a particular date was possible. The rep was very helpful and checked with Distribution, as far as the date, and ran the price by a manager before sending it to me. Things looked fine and all in order. I passed the info on to my girlfriend so that she could call and make the deposit. Lo and behold, she calls me back to tell me that they told her, after a week of back and forth dealing with me, that the price went from $2,700 up to $3,700. They usually don't serve Panama City so that will cost a thousand extra.

The first thing I gave them was the zip codes for the pick-up and drop-off points. The first estimate says "Panama City" on it. I could blame it on the rep, but the manager approved it before she gave it to me. A little more than a week before the move and they shrug their shoulders, like "what are you going to do?" Thank God money never changed hands, but now I'm left scrambling for a new mover. I even contacted the original rep, and she checked to see if there was anything the company would do; but they wouldn't budge. I do believe that technically that would classify as a 'bait and switch' no matter how much they claim honest mistake.

If there are areas of Florida that you don't serve, why wouldn't your reps be trained on that fact, or have your computer system alert them when the zip code is entered in the system? Posting only the good reviews on your company website doesn't mean you don't fail in customer service. Good luck getting someone in management to talk to you. Blocked at every attempt on that.

We moved from CT to MD the end of June 2011. We received quotes from 4 different moving companies and decided to go with Nationwide Van Lines. They said they'd be doing more than the other companies to whom we've received quotes from and their price was reasonable. The binding price we were given was $2,812.50 on May 2, 2011. On May 10, 2011, the price became $2,992.50. When they came to start packing, we were told that they needed 1/2 to start the process (that was $2,460.67). After everything was moved, I received a call the Sunday the items were to be delivered to MD and was told that if we did not pay the balance, they would have to hold our items and we would have to pay an additional $1,200. The total cost for this move went from almost $3,000.00 to $7,105.00 as they also charged us a 3% service charge for using a credit card. They did a great job packing but the way the pricing was not determined at the start and the part that they threatened us, did not make me feel they knew what they were doing. If they had experience with moves out of state, their quote should not have been off as it was.

This is an honest recollection of a moving job received with Nationwide Van Lines. I am upset about the service I received! This company gave me false information on the time it would take to delivery. They told me the delivery would take no more than a few days usually but they just manage to get it in under the deadline they propose in the contract. So I feel they "legally" wait to the very end of the three weeks deadline while promising a short time to get the business from me. Now, they don’t show up when I expect them so this is a problem. After many phone calls and emails to them, they finally got the truck to show up with the things. But weeks went by and we had to buy new things for day to day. In this way, I feel this company has misused my trust and faith.

Nationwide Van Lines truly apologizes by any inconvenience you had with your move, with any moving company the delivery time and schedule is based on several customers and availability; I can guarantee that no moving company waits on purpose until the end of the delivery window to make deliveries. Regardless from looking at the information in your review, I think you may have mistakenly reviewed the wrong company as Nationwide Van Lines do not performs move from or to TN.

After obtaining quotes from several moving and relocation companies, I contracted with Nationwide Van Lines to service my move from New York City to Jacksonville, Florida. Primary consideration was given to the fact that they claim to use their own vans and that "no brokers, middlemen or third party involved." That they specialized in East Coast relocations was another factor.

On May 25, 2010, I received via email the order for service and submitted the required $500 deposit by phone check. On May 26, 2010 the binding agreement was executed. The scheduled date for pick-up was June 22, 2010 between 9 AM and 1 PM. On the day of the move, the mover arrived after 5 PM in a Ryder rental van with one (1) helper and without the certificate of insurance required by my development. He subsequently called two (2) "friends" to come and assist him.

The driver left my apartment and re-appeared about one hour later after 6 PM. I first learned of the Ryder rental van when a family member went down to the lobby to look for the driver. When the driver returned to my apartment, I inquired why he was utilizing a Ryder van and was advised that the Nationwide van had broken down the previous week and that there were no other vans available in the area.

At this point I requested that the driver give me his last name and produce some identification. He refused to do so. There was absolutely nothing about this "crew", attire included, that suggested that they were Nationwide personnel. Under the circumstances, I felt it unwise to release my belongings to this group and asked them to leave. The following morning, June 23, 2010, I called Nationwide and requested that they refund my deposit. They refused to do solid subsequently wrote Nationwide Van Lines, Inc., on August 6, 2010, outlining my complaint and again requesting a refund of my $500 deposit. I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

In their response to the BBB, they allege I breach the contract as I failed to cancel in writing 5 days prior to pick-up date. Obviously this was not possible since the issues manifested themselves on the move day. Nationwide has never responded to me directly. Nationwide knew in advance that they could not provide the service in their own van. They had a duty and obligation to so advise me. They never did. While the rental van was obviously of concern to me, my greatest concern was the refusal by the driver to give me his last name and to produce identification.

It is unimaginable that they would expect to release my property to this individual. It would have been highly irresponsible on my part to have done so. Any assertion by Nationwide that the crew identified themselves is a total fabrication. I have witnesses that they did not and refused to. It is appalling that they rely on a cancellation provision that no one could comply with under the circumstances. I spent over $2500 in additional moving expense.

If you're thinking about using Nationwide Van Lines, I would strongly advise against it. In my experience, they are not only incompetent at their job, but also their customer support is non-existent.

If you are not happy with their service, like we were, they will ignore you. After being directed by their staffer Julianne to check out testimonials and reading thousands of alleged positive reviews on their website, I decided to use them. It was a mistake. Their movers were unprofessional and coarse making for a very bad experience with regard to our possessions and our sanity.

I felt as if I could not rely on them to deliver the boxes in quality conditions because their workers seemed to be unqualified to do the job. I probably would have had better luck getting some college kids to do the job.

The move was completed slightly over the time frame they gave us, but there were some questions about minor damage and missing items. My wife wrote to them for support but never got a call or response. (She also complained that it is very difficult to get a hold of anyone). In our last correspondence they ignored my request for at least the courtesy of a response. We got none. Obviously, I am very unhappy and will not recommend this company.

I apologize you had a bad experience with you move, I am not sure that you writing about the right company since we do not move to IN; we are an east coast moving company and only move from and to the east coast.

Nationwide Van Lines Company Profile