Flat Rate Van Lines

Capital Heights, MD

Compare Moving Companies

Research top Moving Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

The policy of Flat Rate movers is "The estimate is the bill--no surprises". They lied. They estimated my office move and then realized that they had underestimated the amount of space they would need on the truck. They sent another truck the next day and asked me to sign another contract for $2,100.00 additional dollars (on top of a $2,900 estimate). I called my representative and he said, "don't worry--I needed to generate the paperwork to get the truck there--I will void it on Monday." Well you can guess that he never did that. Despite all correspondence--They lied and tried to cheat me. I will never use them again.

I moved from New York to Los Angeles. They managed to lost my $1300 bed and gave me $100 compensation. Movers wanted $300 for packing even though I was told it's included in my $4000 move. When they were told by their management it was included they got angry and probably lost my bed on purpose. I was nice and bought them snacks and cold beverages, also each of them got $100 tips anyway.. because I didn't know that I'm going to sleep on the floor for the next two months. Overall impression: super unprofessional movers, rude representatives. Never ever I was told ''SORRY''. All I hear is promises to call back the next day which never happened. I spent hours calling them and waiting on the line trying to figure out where is my stuff. No bed, no apology, no compensation. Avoid at any cost.

Flat Rate Van Lines moved some furniture and other household goods for me from a private home in North Wales, PA to a self-storage depot in Harrisburg, PA. The original Moving Estimate was for $1225.04. James reassured me that this would be the cost, however, the total charge on the bill came in at $2,502.00, or more than double the estimate.

This move was optional, and I would not have even bothered to move the furniture at all if I had known what it was going to cost beforehand. I accurately stated the amount of furniture and the distance we had to travel for the estimate, so I was shocked when presented with the bill as my belongings were held hostage in what I assume was a rented Penske truck.

I called James at Flat Rate Van Lines to discuss my problem with the charges. He told me that he would meet with management to see what he could do and get back to me that same day, which of course he did not. I called back the next day, and James told me that I needed to write a letter to the management giving all of the details, which I did. I never received a reply.

A letter of dispute was also sent to my credit card company who chose to side with this scam outfit versus a customer in good standing for 14 years. I guess who's cancelling a credit card? I am so embarrassed that I booked before reading the reviews and that I allowed myself to be taken advantage of.

This so called company is the worst moving company I have ever dealt with. Don't be fooled by the website, or automated office answering service. I am a former marine, and the son of a Marine. So, I have moved from state to state, country to country all my life. I know how moves are supposed to go. A guy named James at the company talked a good game on the phone about how they have been in business for fifteen years. Their employees are well trained; they wear uniforms, and they are not day labor workers.

Everything he said was a lie; they showed up to my house two hours late in a budget rental truck (not a real moving truck), and one of the guys after being in the house for ten minutes asked me to buy him pizza. When I said no, he moped around the house for about two hours until finally the guy in-charge begged me to call a pizza place for him. To make the long story short, they didn't move everything from the house. They put a hole in the wall, and said it was no big deal. They whined because some of my furniture had to go in the basement at the new house.

One of them defecated in the downstairs toilet after eating a whole box of pizza, and they left all of their packing trash on the floor all around the house. It took them four and half hours just to move three beds and four sectional couches plus a few boxes. The house we moved in to is less than ten miles away; this move took four "professional movers" near eight hours, and they didn't finish.

This company is a scam. I hired this mover to do a full service move from my apartment to my first house, a total of 17 miles. They arrived an hour late, but I conceded that they were likely stuck in holiday traffic, or running late on the previous account. They told me both. Fast forward 6 hours (though I was quoted for 5, I did expect that it would take a bit longer. They never got to the storage units). They trailed me to my house and we started to settle the bill. Flat rate? I was assured that "all materials were included" and "there would be no surprises on moving day." In fact, the papers I signed before they began quoted only the cost that was agreed to. Imagine my surprise when they said it was not the $783 that I signed up for, but that plus $960 for "materials"! They wanted me to pay almost $1900 for a 17 mile move for an amount never agreed upon.

We got on the phone with "the boss" and he tried to explain to me that the additional charge was for boxes, etc. (definitely not $900 worth). The manager said he could "meet me half way" and only charged $500 for materials. What? At this point, I told him someone would call him back in 5 minutes, as my parents were on their way over (I would enlist my father's help with this situation). The moving van was literally in the cul-de-sac, ready to leave with all my belongings in the truck. Long nightmare made short, my father negotiated a total of $1200 in cash for what was performed and two additional hours to unload. Oh, but the moving team was instructed to unload in the driveway. My family and I (with the assistance of the subcontracted movers who were actually quite decent) unloaded the truck in 30 minutes. I've moved several times in the past 10 years and have never dealt with such dishonesty and corruption. Please flag this company for their bait-and-switch tactics so others can know about who they are.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Flat Rate Van Lines?

I was happy with the movers, they took good care of my furniture. All they had to move was about 30 medium sized boxes and 2 bedrooms, living room, dining table and hutch, as I had taken several trips with friends to get the bulk moved. I was told over the phone that the $490 dollars was it and they were giving me a break with a winter rate as opposed to a summer rate, which is more. By the time I moved 50 miles to my new place, the bill was $1,100.

It was $7 per roll of tape, and they did not skimp on tape. Twenty-two dollars for a wardrobe box, that I agreed to for a small decorated Christmas tree, rental of various blankets and one a couple of more small boxes. An additional hour was added and then the supplies totaled over $500. Because as all movers do, they make you pay before taking your belongings off the truck, I had to come up with an additional $600 which I had fortunately in my savings. But it totally wiped me out. I was appalled and now I am having trouble getting back on my feet because I have no cushion. I paid out $2,200 to landlord and then $1,100 to Flat Rate Van Lines.

When I moved from Arizona in 2007, cross country and a semi-full of belongings, it was $2,300. Now 50 miles is $1,100. I would warn anyone who is planning a move in the Maryland-DC-Virgina area, to really check out who you use. Yes, they were nice on the phone and helpful, but wiping me out financially is not a good way to start a new adventure. I asked to see their materials list and watch what they use. This was not a good experience.

Flat Rate Van Lines Company Profile