3.75/5
Based on 16 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

Expert Van Lines

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Expert Van Lines is a family owed and operated moving company for over 25 years. We specialize in a range of services including Military, Corporate and Residential Relocation. As well as short and long term storage. We are very confident we can tailor to meet all of your moving expectations. Give us 2% of your trust we will earn the rest. Don't waste any time and get your free moving estimate today.

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Sept. 6, 2017

16 Expert Van Lines Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

Customer Service did an excellent job keeping posted with my move. They quoted the correct price and it only showed me that inventory was done properly. Thank you for being so professional. I'm definitely plan on using you for my future move.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

The movers were very nice and good workers. They worked fast but careful wrapping my items. I gave them instructions on what items needed to be placed on what box and they were good about it. I am happy with the movers. Good job hiring your employees.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

This has been nothing short of a horrifying experience. Expert Van Lines seems to have a reputation for purposefully under bidding all other moving companies, then tacking on a couple extra THOUSAND on the end of a move. Meaning, they won't deliver your goods until you agree to pay the randomly quoted extra couple thousand. I watched them drive away with our stuff today, as they tried to extort us for an additional $2200 cash, on top of the $2500 cash we already paid for a move that was contracted out to be $3047 and change.

When I called today asking for the "contract" that had the additional $2200 on it, I was told, "I don't have access to that. My manager will have to get back to you." How is that even legal? My husband is currently deployed, and I moved home to Kentucky to be with my support system while he was away. As we neared the end of his yearlong tour, he wanted to keep our move as stress free as possible, so decided to pay for a full "white glove pack" and full service move. None of the packers spoke much English, though they touted their company as family owned. They also lied over the phone saying they didn't subcontract out their movers, but when I asked the movers for explanation of the additional $2200 they explained in broken English, "That's not us. We're subcontractors. Ask the moving company."

They were 6 days late to the day we arranged to have them drop our stuff off! My 2 y/o daughter and I quickly loaded up our car with only bare essentials and took 2 days to drive from KY ago GA because we were afraid the movers would beat us there. We've now been waiting 7 days, living in a vacant home with just an air mattress and the 4 days worth of clothes we had packed. I was so reassured by the sales rep on day 1, that I literally chose this company because I felt I heard her heart; I felt she cared about our military family. And I appreciated she working with us.

After we made our 2 out of 3 deposits, everything changed. No one picks up the phone. Everyone is supposed to "call you right back" and voicemail after voicemail left with no kindness, manners, or urgency to help what so ever! Zero customer service! Marie, was the only one who seemed to take mercy on us, because she had military in her family too. But it seemed everyone else kept her from prevailing for us.

We filed a complaint with the BBB, and all of the sudden their attitudes changed. They were no longer snarling on the phone with me, using their manners for a change, and keeping their tone even keeled. But the minute I refused to pay the extortion money, Chris cussed me out over the phone, cut me off, and hung up on me telling me they'd send the drivers away. They acted like they had done a BIG SERVICE to us "expediting" our move and having our items to us only 6 days after they were supposed to. We paid for less than 6 days, AND we still didn't get our items. Police report filed. BBB complaint filed. News report done and gone viral. JAG will be contacted in the morning as will a civil claim be filed.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

Expert Van Lines officially made this my worst move ever!!! This move started with the driver hitting a telephone pole on pickup and taking out power to the neighborhood for 6 hours. It ended with a 9 hour long move in caused by the driver insisting on parking his truck hundreds of yards from my door because he was afraid of scratching his truck - which he said was "borrowed" not owned by the moving company. The aversion to scratches on truck was highly ironic given the truck at pickup being nearly totaled in interaction with telephone pole and expert did not seem to care. Also, given that they sold me on trying the company because of how fast they were growing and how many trucks they own, I was surprised to have service using a borrowed truck.

$$$ Their estimate was way low - expect to pay 2x what they say they will charge, and they will hold you over a barrel with your stuff locked in their truck until you produce whatever cash they ask for. They claimed the upcharge (from $5K to nearly $9) was because I had larger-than-average furniture and a few extra boxes - direct quote "Your couch is very puffy" - but I do not, it's a scam. There were a few more boxes than expected but they were small. They only accept cash on delivery and the requirements for payment will get stricter after they have your stuff in their truck/warehouse. They wanted extra cash on a Sunday night for a long carry (despite it being their choice, due to truck parking preference) and packing materials despite prepayment.

I am missing a couple of boxes, I'm broke, and there's some damage, to the fabric on a chair (tore when the tape they applied to hold the cushion in place was removed) and a mattress which is ruined. They folded an innerspring mattress in half and tied it closed for my 3 week move, permanently deforming the coils. DO NOT use these guys unless the end of your move is near their warehouse in NJ... You will have NO flexibility and they will harass you and refuse to commit to dates. They do not disclose that everything stops in NJ when selling. It adds several days and risk to your move. Keep your own inventory - their process is a joke and they will lose boxes. OR just choose a better moving company. The final cost of these guys was more than the estimate I had for a white glove move with United. I was not compensated for any inconvenience, property lost and damaged, or the harassment from the driver upon delivery.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2017

This is a good moving company. I did not have any bad experience with them. My things were moved on the date I requested, and delivery was on time. I have no complaints. I will be recommending them to all my family and friends.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Expert Van Lines?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

My experience with Expert Van Lines has been a positive one. I was able to schedule my pick-up around my crazy schedule. I had a 4 bedroom home to move, I only thought of how stressful it was going to be. But once the movers arrived at my house they assured things would be fine. I stepped back and let them work. Wow, I was impressed with them. They worked fast and with care. By the time I knew it my whole house was packed and loaded. Excellent job! At time of delivery, I inspected all my things. Nothing was damaged. I highly recommend this company. They have it all together.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

Your (Expert Van Line) driver Mike left without unloading any of our home luggage because I refused to re pay the elevator charges, on top of what you told me that I owe ($1613.50 that I have as cash ready to pay your driver). Mike did it even though I showed him my contract with you, confirming that charges for elevator at pick up as well as delivery site elevator have already been paid. Your driver Mike also chose to park truck as far from our entry door as possible, asking me to pay extra for this distance though there was enough space to park closer within 75 feet of door and I have taken pictures to prove it, being attached. Your driver Mike was also saying that he cannot park truck beside another parked car and I am attaching the picture of your truck who was parked right behind another car when you came to pick my luggage.

How come it was right at pick up and became wrong at delivery. I have checked with the local police in delivery area also that there is no law prohibiting such parking. Police asked me to ask your driver to call police if your driver wants to confirm himself this information. The driver Mike obviously did it to overcharge me. We are without our furniture, including beds and chairs for more than 2 weeks now and sleeping on floor including my elderly mother who has multiple medical issues. I have left messages on all your phone numbers and sent emails at both your addresses with this information and texted this information to your driver also but no reply. Please help us. We feel very disappointed!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

They collected my goods from KY to deliver in CA state but delivered partial only for rest they don't have any answer and not ready to pay replacement cost also. Worst promise and service. I'm having loss of 5700$ because of this guys. Now I don't Capacity to repurchase too.

Expert Van Lines response

I am not sure what the nature of this complaint is. The full shipment was delivered to customers house, with signatures at delivery that customer received his full shipment. If there is a claim that you would like to summit please contact our customer service. (888) 436-2688

Original review: July 13, 2017

These guys were serious miracle! I had a lot to do that day. The movers arrived and started making my day feel better because I did not have to worry about packing. They did it all. I would definitely recommend Expert Van Lines!

Original review: July 8, 2017

The sales agents tell you what you want to hear in order to take your money. After that's done you get no contact from this company. I had to call countless times to find out what was going on with my stuff but every time I called I had to leave a voicemail. No one called me back for days. I would call the sales department desperate for an update and mainly two of the sales agents, a male and a female, were clueless, rushed, unprofessional, apathetic, rude and the man even hung up on me. Every time I called (because they never called me) and I would get someone at sales they would promise someone would call me back within 30 mins. I always waited. They never called.

Days later we finally spoke to someone at dispatch who said we should transfer money for them to release our stuff which we did because we were so desperate but nothing happened for another 5 days. And we didn't even have to do that as you're supposed to pay when they bring your things. They finally brought the truck with our stuff. There were 3 guys and two were nice and careful but one of them threw things around and broke several things including the glass of the top of a dresser and an important piece of glass that belonged to a deceased relative. Something high in sentimental value, irreplaceable. The communication was the worst. I will post this review in as many sites as I can. Do not waste your money.

Expert Van Lines response

I do apologize but i can not find your credentials in our system. I have tried pulling your order up based off your first and last name, email address. Nothing is coming up that we rendered services to you. Please provide name of customer or job number. Thank You.

Original review: June 7, 2017

I had a complicated move that required special packing and a difficult delivery from NY. Expert Vans Lines provided the most support in handling all the details from the sales person that did my inventory to their customer service management team. I was stressed out with starting a new job in CA and they assured me that they would follow through with what mattered most to me! I would recommend going with them.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I love this company. At first I was very hesitate on which company to move due to the fact I have a lot of antics that my great grandmother gave me and I needed them moved with extra care and they did an excellent job. I would recommend them to anybody. Your belongings are in good hands.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Happy customer. I had a very satisfying experience with Expert Van Lines. The sales rep, Jay, asked carefully about our items and was honest upfront about what to expect. The movers were very friendly, punctual, and gave excellent attention to detail. My move was surprisingly a painless experience.

Original review: May 4, 2017
    I have never meet a company so dedicated to their customers. Whatever I needed or had questions about my rep was available 24 hours and helped me 100%.

They made me very comfortable. They treated me better than just a customer. They was actually concerned about the well beings of my things and took care of them with caution.

Expert Van Lines response

Thank you Jessica for choosing Expert Van Lines. We look forward to doing business in the future. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Original review: May 3, 2017

Choosing a moving company is a very difficult thing to do if you've never done it before. I went online and entered my information not knowing what to expect. The first few calls I received were pretty basic and just simple information was asked of me. I received a call from Expert Van Lines that lasted about an hour or so. I found the representative to be very educated in the moving industry and very through on the details of my items that we were moving. When we were finished with the inventory the representative gave me a very attractive price for the move, he also stated as long as I had told him all the items my price would not change.

When the movers showed up they were courteous and very professional. I was finally relieved when they began taking apart my furniture and wrapping it up and began placing it on the truck. The delivery was on time and my items were all accounted for and nothing got broke. I would very strongly recommend Expert Van Line to anyone looking for a professional moving service. Thank you Expert Van Lines.

Expert Van Lines Company Information