Consumer Reviews and Complaints

14%
  • 2 stars0
  • 1 stars2
    10%

Exclusive Van Lines maintains its reputation as one of the most trustworthy van lines in the nation. With a steadily growing customer base, Exclusive Van Lines is a reliable contact for your next interstate relocation. With diligent and punctual services and the most reasonable quotes possible, the Exclusive team guarantees your moving project will be an enjoyable, stress-free venture.

Why should you choose Exclusive for your next move?
- Exclusive Van Lines boasts of over 17 years of professional relocation services.
- The company specializes in both family moves and individual moves. Many of Exclusive’s customers come back for second and third relocations.

- The Exclusive teammates pour equal dedication and care into every single move, regardless of the size. If you commit to Exclusive Van Lines, you can guarantee that your furniture and belongings will be treated with the utmost care and consideration.

Our Staff

Exclusive Van Lines has a hardworking team of highly trained relocation experts. These employees are trained to treat customers with respect and gratitude. The employees at Exclusive Van Lines recognize their customers are committed to them and do everything they possibly can to ensure a successful move.

Services

In addition to a reputable reputation and highly trained staff, Exclusive Van Lines also offers a list of services that other companies do not. This list includes, but is not limited to Full-Service Packing (white glove), Storage in Transit packing, and Fragile Only Packing for special goods. These comprehensive packages cover relocation needs for a range of customers across different platforms. The professionals at Exclusive Van Lines are highly trained to meet your particular moving needs.

Our Promise to Customers

Moving can be a stressful endeavour. It is not only the physical weight of personal belongings but also the emotional weight of saying goodbye and leaving a chapter of your life behind. The movers at Exclusive Van Lines aim to make the transition of your belongings as seamless and affordable as possible. Let experts handle your relocation needs instead of producing unnecessary stress and concern.

For the pinnacle of moving experiences trust Exclusive Van Lines, the company backed by years of experience, a steadily growing client base, and an unmatched reputation in the industry.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I moved from the Philadelphia area to Wellington, Florida actually. It was just a bedroom set and we wanted to have it shipped to a rental property we own down there. The whole experience with Exclusive Van Lines was good that's why I was glad that we chose them. The price was competitive with everybody else. They were also a little less aggressive than some of the other ones, which was a little refreshing. They just gave us the facts and told us how quickly they could do it, which was very quick, and I was impressed with that.

Customer service department was excellent and very organized. They scheduled everything that we needed. I had the appropriate calls and the communication was very good with the company. We have absolutely no complaints about that at all and I was really glad with them. The moving crew were exactly on time. They called and told me where they were and the GPS told them that it will be about 30 minutes. They arrived exactly in the middle of the window, which was perfect, and was also the same case when they dropped everything off. They were great, knowledgeable and courteous. There was one guy who was in charge and he knew what he was doing. He was sharp and very efficient. He directed the other guys, filled out all the paperwork and explained everything to me.

The only issue we had was a misunderstanding about the stairs. It was our impression that we paid ahead of time for a flight of stairs but when the driver got there, he said there were too many stairs and so he was going to charge extra. We just wanted the furniture delivered so we took care of that. All in all, the delivery went well. The furniture was a fairly expensive set and they packed everything up fins. When it arrived, they unpacked everything and set it up. Everything arrived perfectly safe and quick and there was no damage. We had a very good experience and I would recommend Exclusive Van Lines again.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We were tired of the traffic, noise, and racket of Atlanta so we wanted to move to a quieter place. Exclusive Van Lines called me and it was very good with their sales guys. All was great with their moving crew too. I had the full-service move option and they packed everything. I was satisfied with everything.

I have moved four times and I'm tired of moving stuff by myself and I wanted professionals to do it. I went with Exclusive Van Lines and their sales team was phenomenal. I met one group in Florida and one in Charlotte and they were all top notch professionals. I was able to understand what they were offering and they all did a very fine job. My move date was flexible and it was more along when they had availability. We settled on two dates and the second one was the date that it actually occurred. The three gentlemen that came and loaded my things up were very good. I knew what I was paying for before they got there, and it was very detailed as far as what I was involved in. The next day, one of them went to Florida on a move, but the two of the three delivered the furniture and unloaded it.

All in all, I dealt with good quality and professional people that you don’t mind having in your house. It was a little bit more expensive in what I had been quoted from other people, but it was worth it. I was very satisfied. People should go see them because they do what they say they’ll do and do it when they say they're going to do it.

I was moving from Tennessee to Florida and there was no way I was doing it myself, so I did a basic move with Exclusive Van Lines and they were great. Their sales team was wonderful and everything was perfect with their customer service department. No matter what I was going at, they were seriously really good. Exclusive Van Lines has been reliable and easy to work with.

I prefer Exclusive Van Lines - that's all. I know there are multiple movers outside there but I do not want them; I just prefer Exclusive Van Lines. I experienced their relocation services two weeks ago and I felt like moving again. The services were lovely and the job was done all heartedly. You did a job so great and ensured my move was flawless. You did something so extraordinary for me. Honestly, I have never experienced such services before. It was good seeing you do that for me. I am thankful.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Exclusive Van Lines?

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

I retired and wanted to move down close to my daughter. I went with Exclusive Van Lines due to the ratings and reviews that they had. There was another company that I had thought about going with, but I found that they only had two trucks and since I was going all the way from Maryland to Florida, I didn’t think that was such a good idea especially since I was going to have to have a flight holdover. During the move, the crew was very careful. I talked to a few of them, got to know a little bit about them, and they were very nice. The experience was very good on both ends. They came and delivered when they were supposed to. I had one TV that went out, but other than that, everything came out okay.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

We retired so it’s time to get back into the family mode and get closer to our family but it was large move across the country. I contemplated doing it on my own with the PODS system, but we’ve moved numerous times before and it’s certainly a challenge because there’s a lot of work. So, I decided spend the money and let Exclusive Van Lines do more of the work rather than me. We packed ourselves for the most part so we were only after their services to move from Georgia up to Washington state.

We had a fairly large house with four bedrooms so we had quite a bit of things. I was concerned that if I moved myself, I really would invest in moving blankets and all the moving-associated goods but I thought if we buy a lot of those, it'll be a waste because we don't know what we're going to do with them for the next 10 years or so. I like the fact that EVL promised to wrap and take care of all the furniture which would have been terribly expensive or I probably would have done a poor job if I were to move myself.

However, the sales team experience was disappointing. Their agent only heard the content of one bedroom instead of four. I told them we were moving a four-bedroom house and described the content in detail. When I got my content back with the amount of material to move, 85 boxes are missing. They didn’t have nearly enough stuff in their inventory, in their estimate. It was frustrating that they couldn’t get the basics right. Now we’re going to have to change the price. A lot of it had to be adjusted to my extra cost.

Nevertheless, their movers were A+. They were excellent. Five guys worked very hard for 10 hours to wrap everything great and took care of our stuff. I could tell they were being careful and considerate. They were professional, on time and very communicative. They remembered and didn’t take the things we said we weren’t going to take. They did a good job. I was very happy with the professionalism, the punctuality and the overall care that they took. And that goes on the delivery end as well. They also took great care to listen to where to put things, used care around the stairways and the tight turns and the corners. Moving’s never fun but their people on the ground were very good but the frustration with the sales department and basically their communication along the way could have been a lot better.

I have used other moving companies in the past and preferred to stick to what I know, but my fiance suggested that we use Exclusive Van Lines because of their prices compared to others. Overall, our experience with Exclusive Van Lines was great. They worked very quickly and very efficiently compared to the other companies we have utilized in the past. The crew were all about business and were professional, didn't complain about working during a major heat wave, and were very careful with our items and furniture. They didn't BS around or gave us any issues when we called customer service for a status update. I was surprised also how quickly they were able to transport our items from Maryland to Illinois in 10 days. I would definitely utilize their services in the future.

I was moving cross-country, and I didn’t want to do it myself. I talked to Exclusive Van Lines about the various pricing I could end up getting and how things were measured, and I thought they would be reliable. Their sales team answered all my questions and tried to appease me as much as possible when I asked various things about the moving process. The moving crew took all the boxes and stuff and loaded them in the truck for me. They moved everything out efficiently. However, there were some discrepancies regarding who was actually moving me because the people that showed up didn’t have the same logo. They were just like regular folks. So, it felt like I didn’t know what had happened between when I left Florida and when my things got to me. My only assumption is that Exclusive contracts some stuff out, and I wasn’t made aware of that.

I decided I don't want to be in the DC area anymore so I moved out to Colorado, Denver. With Exclusive Van Lines, everything was straightforward and simple good. I liked their full-service move option. They explained everything well and I had no problems. They found a date and a time that matched my moving needs. Later, I had to reschedule because of my job but it all worked out well and everything was okay. I was very impressed with the moving crew. They all seemed to know what they were doing. They were quick, efficient, and showed up when they were supposed to. I was surprised with the number of guys who were from the former Soviet Union only because I spoke Russian in the military. I could converse a little with all of them and that was pleasant.

I had to relocate to Chicago from DC with very limited notice (2 weeks). Overall, Exclusive Van Lines was affordable compared to other competitor's prices and good with their timeline promises. The movers were very efficient and handled all my items and furniture with care. They were also very accurate with their ETA. The crew was very professional and worked carefully when picking up my items and also with relocating them. Even though it was peak of summer with over 95+ degrees outside, they worked very quickly and without any complaints. I'll definitely use their services again in the future, if needed.

Exclusive Van Lines seemed to have their act together and their prices weren't too bad. The sales team was very helpful at first. They explained everything to me. Later, there was a misunderstanding but it worked out. The moving crew was quick and they were efficient too. Most of my stuff was already packed so the crew just had to get it into the truck. They had to do a little bit of boxing up but since I provided the boxes, it was a quick move.

My move was complicated as I had to go from the west coast to the east coast, get it all arranged then move back to the west coast, and their staff accommodated me well on most of that. The only thing is they would need to be a little more forthcoming or to give a little more explanation as far as any additional weight and how that affects the charge ahead of time because I thought it was a flat rate but it's not. I ended up disposing a whole lot of things that I was originally thinking about moving out here because the price seemed to go up exponentially.

United and Atlas gave me estimates and I was concerned about them so I went on Consumer Reports. Exclusive Van Lines had really good reviews there so I called them and ended up hiring them. I was a little apprehensive ‘cause I have never heard of them before and they’re based out of Florida, but I hoped they were real and I had a great experience with them.

The sales rep was great, walked me through all of the things and explained that they do things by the cubic foot, not weight, so the more I could pack and consolidate, the better it would be and cheaper. He also explained that they would only use the materials that they had to use. They will come in, guesstimate and do all that. They work off of real numbers and materials. They followed up on everything and said to call if I had any concerns. They addressed them immediately and returned my phone calls. I appreciated that so I was quite confident when they finally set up the time.

The moving crew didn't speak a lot of English and I had read that on one of the reviews. Most of the men are from Central and Eastern Europe. But they came in, the foreman spoke good English and they went over everything. I showed them toward the place, told them what's going and they got to work. They worked tirelessly all day and had great attitudes. Nobody sat around. They packaged everything up which I watched them do and I thought nothing's going to get scratched with the job that they're doing. So I was very pleased with it. Also, we had a condo with a lower level and people said to ask about stairs. So we talked about that and they were very clear that there was no charge for having to bring things from the lower level up to the main level. So I knew what it was going to cost.

However, we didn't factor in that Exclusive will unwrap the blankets off of the couches and tables. It would be good if they would've mentioned that once they knew that we were moving into a storage unit. We didn't want them to be unwrapped because we weren't moving to our house yet. So we ended up buying blankets because the items were wrapped in their packing blankets. But it was our error. We didn’t even think about it and they did say they will unpack everything and put it in our home. They would have unpacked in the storage unit for us, but we just said to leave everything. It was not also the same crew that unpacks as packs, but that wasn’t a problem and they had enough people to come. I was very satisfied.

Factual basis uncertain

It was hard to communicate with their customer service team at times. They did okay with the pick up date, but the delivery date stretched out an additional 11 days. Also, when I was talking to sales, one person would tell me one thing, then I’d be handed off to somebody else and get a different information. And the price kept on changing. But the moving crew themselves, the fellows who actually did the work, were very good and diligent. I have no complaint about the actual work force.

AVOID EXCLUSIVE VAN LINES AT ALL COST!!! IF THERE WAS "NO STAR" RATING I WOULD PICK THAT OPTION. I've been looking for movers for some time and I actually started booking process with Stevenson Transit (Mayflower division) from Ottawa IL. Quote was high, but it included everything, packing materials, crew, transport, labor everything. It was based on actual person being in my house counting every piece of my property. And no money down until move is completed. So then I was all set, right? But I kept getting calls from many other places trying to low-ball me with great quotes, one of them from Exclusive Van Lines. Guy named Jay, nice guy, sold me a quote based on quote I forwarded to him from Mayflower. My final quote was $5560 based on pictures of all the rooms in my house, including packing my kitchen, garage, wrapping furniture, bulky items etc.

So June 22nd I gave them deposit of $1,661. I was allowed to cancel up to 7 days before moving date 07-28-2016. So there I was packing small stuff, personal stuff etc, relaxed all set. Then Saturday June 28 (5 days before move, too late to get my money back or to call anybody else for help), this woman Lissa calls me saying we have to revise my quote because she thinks I didn't pay enough. So after hours and hours of stressful arguing, she bumped my quote to $6,805. I had to pay them another $490 of deposit, but I was told that was it. So on Wednesday a day before move and get a call, saying movers will be there on Thursday to pack between 12-3pm.

Thursday morning I was pretty much packed 80% all by myself, waiting for movers. Then I get a call from driver who barely spoke English, saying they'd be late. They arrived, after my numeral calls asking where they were, at 5:45pm. Too late to call their office or complain (6:45pm Florida time). First of all it was a dinky truck with Budget Rental USDOT number **, no markings of Exclusive Van Lines, guys were not in company uniforms, truck had no padding inside, was just ok, with dirty blankets laying everywhere... Three guys walked into my house. Driver was from Uzbekistan, the only one who spoke some English. Two others from Russia who I think just landed in the US, no English whatsoever (I'm Polish so I understood what they were saying), and first thing driver said was "we have to revise your list because it looks like I have more stuff, then they were ready to pack".

So since I was really desperate to get it done I sat down and started talking. First he offered everything done and packed and moved for extra $315. But that quote grew within 20-30 minutes to $1,600+ with possible extra money on arrival needed. I was scheduled to have them pack my kitchen, but packing materials with packing services didn't include actual labor and bubble wrap from what he said. I was ready to freak out. I have two small kids, all alone with my mom, with these three guys. I didn't know what to say. In a meantime other two men started carrying my stuff outside, ready to roll. Quote went up, plus they started basing my quote per item and cubic foot, not the weight, so quote kept going up and up. So I finally told them to leave, to get the hell out of my house and leave.

Then they starting changing their mind. Offers kept coming out of their mouth faster than you could imagine. I still asked them to go. They left the building. I carried all my stuff back in the house and garage, then I started balling, called my husband, thinking movers left. I go outside and they're on the grass, sitting on their cellphones doing whatever the hell they wanted, drinking water... So I just told them to get the hell out of my property. So then driver walks up to me with CUSTOMER SURVEY paperwork to rate them and sign. Ohhh was I mad then. But I just politely declined and asked them to leave AGAIN. They left. About an hour later, this damn truck shows up again at my house, driver walks up to me with manager Paula @ ** on phone. I just said I had nothing to say and politely said goodbye. STAY AWAY FROM THESE PEOPLE PLEASE!!!

Factual basis uncertain

My father has always says that education is expensive. My recent experience with Exclusive Van Lines has earned me a degree in interstate moving. I am writing this review in hopes of helping someone else avoid the mistakes I made. My original intention was to use a small company that would have a box truck so that my items were the only ones on the truck. I requested a couple of quotes online and immediately began to receive calls from van lines and brokers (not the companies I had directly contacted).

Exclusive was the first call I received and the sales representative spent 45 minutes talking me through the furniture in each room. He then provided me with a quote of 6800+ - told me to talk with other companies and check out their reviews online - that I would find they had the best reviews of all the companies. He also explained why their company should be the one I chose citing the fact that they owned all their trucks, with the oldest ones having been purchased in 2015, all their equipment, blankets, etc. were new and good quality, all workers were their employees as they did not hire day labors, and my furniture would be triple protected with padding, blankets, and shrink wrap.

As I looked at online reviews, the smaller companies had about a 50/50 ratio of good to bad reviews. What I found on Exclusive seemed to be better - although today I'm finding a number of others who have had similar experiences - not sure why I didn't see those two months ago. Believing that my belongings would be well cared for, I chose to go against my first inclination and sign with a van line.

I was told that two weeks prior to my move, someone from Quality Assurance would contact me to determine if items needed to be added or removed. I was unsure at the time whether I would be moving my appliances or not. I was also told that I could cancel my move within 7 days for a full refund of the deposit. I read through the contract word for word and it appeared to line up with what I had been told. What I did not notice was that many of the items I had described had been left off the list and therefore, the estimate was not accurate as to the actual cost of the move. When I did not receive a call two weeks prior to the move as promised, I called the sales rep to say that I would not be moving my appliances after all. He assured me that someone would call me in the next few days. When that did not happen, I called again (more than 7 days from the move) and was told someone would call me in another week.

Finally 4 or 5 days before the move (past the cancellation deadline) someone from QA called. She had been on Zillow and looked at the staging pictures of my home so she added all of the missing items I had previously described plus a number of smaller items that I had not thought to mention such as an ironing board. At this point my price increased by half again as much. She also informed me that anything with glass (such as my patio table) would be an additional 100 dollars per piece. When I questioned why I had not been called as promised, I was told it was the customer's responsibility to stay on top of things and that I should have read my contract more carefully.

On moving day the truck that arrived had a magnetic sticker on the door that said Exclusive Van Lines - I could see the letters around the edges of the sign of the name that was actually painted on the truck. The three men who came to my home to pack were very good and seemed to be careful with my belongings, however, not everything was triple wrapped - in fact most pieces were only covered with blankets and my patio furniture which I had just repainted last summer was not covered at all. The contract I had signed said that delivery would be within 7 to 17 business days but on the day of pickup I was given the option of requesting an earlier date. That date was written down as the earliest date of arrival. I was told that the office would call me 48 hours prior to delivery and the driver would call 24 hours before delivery to confirm.

I did receive a call from the office 5 days prior to first arrival date asking how the pickup went and if I was ready for delivery. I stated that I was working on being ready and that I understood I would receive a call 48 hours before they came. The lady said yes that was correct. She did not give me a delivery date at that time but two days later, the driver called to say he would be arriving the next morning (Sunday). I had arranged for friends and family to help me the next week on the expected arrival day - In order to receive my furniture unexpectedly on Sunday, my family had to miss church and an afternoon concert that we had planned to attend.

The semi which delivered my load had the name of a logistics company painted on the tractor and nothing on the trailer. The driver told me that two local men would be arriving to help him (day laborers). They were not trained movers and and were not knowledgeable regarding how to best move the furniture or boxes. As I have inspected my belongings, I've found a number of items have broken pieces or gashes including a cast iron sewing treble table. My patio furniture is scratched and scarred.

This whole process was very stressful because nothing I was told turned out to be the truth and while I believe the men who picked up my belongings truly tried to do a good job, moving it into a truck, then to a warehouse, then to another truck proved to be hard on everything. If I had it to do over, I would stick with my original plan to hire a company that would load my belongings into a truck and bring them directly to my new home. I would also choose a company that gives a blended price so that I would know upfront exactly what the move would cost me.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: Aug. 9, 2016

While my moving experience with Exclusive Van Lines was not of the best caliber, I feel that the company has made good on their end and addressed my concerns in a satisfactory manner. I realize that mistakes happen and I appreciate their response. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

Worst experience ever!! Scam! Avoid this moving company at all cost. They are a broker and subcontract your move. First of all, I had two (2) phone walkthroughs with a girl name Kelly to determine space needed since they charge by cubic ft. I specifically asked if a rep was coming out to check the inventory so I won't incur additional charges. No one came out. I was told twice, it would not be more than one semi. I was quoted, $16,820. Movers arrive late. They came in smaller trucks. After start loading of second half truck, mover tells me it is going to be a semi and a half, this turns out to be $27,755. A whopping $11,000.00 more. What???

On the third day, they arrive at 2:30 in the afternoon to finish the move and work, again, till 1am in the morning. I argued on the phone with Paula from customer service and was basically told "you provided inventory..." What? No I didn't, we went over entire inventory with them on the phone. She would not let me speak with Kelly and told me that she is the only person I need to speak to. I even sold furniture and left some behind for my buyer after I had the phone inventory walkthrough, almost assuring myself of only one semi. This is a the old bait and switch routine... They underbid, and once they have your furniture on the truck and have started a second smaller truck they tell you it's going to be more money. They give you a good deal up front to get your business then they let you have it. Paula said, "Don't worry we will work with you." Ok, what does that mean?

My move arrives one week after they stated it would be there, and, on a truck from United. This cost me additional Hotel stays and only one truck arrives. After arguing on the phone with Paula she basically throws contract in my face and says read it. I was furious and told Paula I wanted some of the charges removed because I was seriously underbid to get the business. I asked that they remove the $4252 they charged for extra packing materials. She says she will only remove $2000 but I would have to sign a form that is called a Full and Final release. Emails me the form t. The form states that I hereby Remise and release Exclusive from any form of complaints, lawsuits, etc. The form was basically a "I will not give bad reviews or complain about this company. Basically a keep your mouth shut bribe". I submitted this form to my company and was told "Do Not Sign".

Well, the second truck comes 4 days later and again, a different carrier is bringing it. While bringing furniture in, they scratch a built in wall unit that was already in the house, scratch the freshly painted walls, and I notice several other damages. The form they send you to file claims is long and asks for so much information, that I think they do this to discourage you from filing claims. In addition, after opening all boxes I realize we are missing several items which means we are missing boxes. It was impossible to try to mark every box coming in and direct them to place boxes at the same time.

Well to make a long horrible experience short... they did not really try to work with me. I will make sure that no one in my company or any Realtor I know will use them. This company does not care about their customers, they don't return calls and they keep throwing contract in your face when you do reach them. They have some good reviews on Yelp but I don't believe any of those because they seem too scripted and if you check Moving.com their reviews are horrible!!!

Factual basis uncertain

Buyer Beware. This is the worst moving company you will ever use. They are NOT a member of the BBB. They do NOT own their moving trucks. They still have my items and it's been six weeks!!! They will not return your call and fill you with excuses. Basically they tell you what you want to hear until they get your money. My items have been lost and damaged and most have not even been delivered. The worst experience my family has ever had. Do your homework. This company puts up a good front but they are scam artists. Stay away.

I had put my name and contact info into a search aggregator that reached out to several different moving companies so they could send me their quotes. Exclusive was the very first company to reach me. They were real quick about their quotes - I got a call from them within minutes and the guy that called me was really good at his job. He was very reassuring, informative, told me all my concerns, and made my move seem like this is going to be the easiest move ever.

He quoted me a really good price. The initial quote he told me was $3800 and he did it based on what I told him. He asked me,“How many items do you have?” I told him that I'm moving one king size bedroom set, a couple pieces of living room furniture, some electronics and several boxes of stuff. He was like, “Well, do you know how many?” And I said, “Well, it’s hard to say. I haven't seen my stuff in two years. However, I'm filling a 10x10 storage unit, top to bottom.” He told me he'll punch some numbers and said "$3800. How does that sound to you?” I was like, “Great!”

He also asked, “When do you want to have it delivered, when do you want to have it picked up?” All of my stuff was pre-packed by the military, and it was sitting in a storage locker in Virginia. I had them deliver it from Virginia to Houston, Texas, and move it in for me. So being as my stuff is being picked up in a different state, I had to coordinate with someone else to get it. So I gave them the pickup date and of course, they couldn't do just one day, it was going to be one or two days, which is no big deal. And then he had me schedule a drop off date. So I picked a date like the day after I move into my new apartment. He said, “There's gonna be a window of delivery time, but we, 99% of the time, deliver it on the day that you asked, if not the day after.” I agreed and he sent me the contract. I filled it out, signed it, and sent it back.

They called me several days before the move when it was already past my cancellation period for the full refund. So now if I cancel, I lose my deposit which was $1300. They called me after I couldn't put my deposit back and told me, “Oh, by the way, can we get a 56-ft truck in your apartment complex?” And I was like, “Well, no. It's an apartment complex.” They said they're gonna have to charge me to offload it to a smaller truck and that's another $700. So I was like, “Where was this when I initially set this up?” So I went from $3800 to $4500 before the move even started and I can't cancel now because I’ll lose my entire deposit.

So then they called me when they had loaded the truck and said, “Oh, by the way, you used this much space. It's gonna be another $1600.” I went from $3800, to $4500, to now almost $7000, and almost doubling the price they promised me in the beginning, and I was pissed. I told those guys, “Take my ** off the truck, put it back in the storage unit and go. I don't want it. Just keep the deposit. Because I can move it myself, with losing the deposit, cheaper than what you guys are doing right now.”

So then their customer service stepped in. She called me and I was furious and she said, “Well, you only said you had these many items.” I said, “I didn’t know how many items I had and that I had a 10x10 full.” She was like, “Well, you know, what are you gonna do?” I told her, “Well, I'll drive down there. I'll get my own truck. I've done it before. It'll cost me about this much. With my deposit, it's still less than what you’re charging.” And I came to about $5000 moving myself. She said, “Well, if I come down to that price, can we do that?” So at this point in time, I'm working, and I don't have time to do this move that’s why I paid for it. So I went ahead and just ate the cost. I paid 5,000-something dollars to have them move my stuff, significantly more than I agreed to.

So then here I am two days later, in my empty apartment, waiting for the truck. I called and said, “Hey, what time is the truck coming?” And they're like, “Oh, it's sitting in the warehouse. We have 17 days from the day that you gave us a delivery date to deliver it.” And I said, “So you're just going to sit on it for another 15 days?" ‘Cause they are in Maryland and if they are only going to drive about eight hours a day, and they’re looking at a four-day drive, so at the bare minimum, I cannot see my stuff for at least four more days, so then I threw another fit.

I was on the phone cursing them out for hours. Finally, they said they'll see what they can do. So two days later, they got my stuff on the road, and sent it to me. I got my stuff about a week later. As far as it stands, I'm out of pocket an additional $1500 plus and pretty bitter about it. I have no issue with the guys that moved it in, but I had been conned the entire process and I still feel about that today. I asked the salesman every question that was on that contract and I was blatantly lied to. Their sales guy didn't bring up these critical facts. They waited ‘till I couldn't cancel to add more to it.

All their customer service would ever refer to is, “It's all in the contract. Did you read the contract?” That's like telling me the problem is when I have the sales guy lie to me and then expect me to read the contract after. What's funny about my experience is they told me later that they fired that guy, so that was their fix. So obviously, they replayed the customer service tapes and found out what he told me. It was by far one of the worst experiences I’ve ever had, my move was absolutely awful.

The moving crew from Exclusive Van Lines was very quick. There’s one area where they got out really quick on the back end when they dropped stuff off because they were trying to get to another move and they were a little late. I felt it was a little rushed. But other than that, it was fine. The move went pretty well and the customer service reps who called to schedule the move was good.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Resolution response: July 5, 2016

The movers on both ends were excellent! Really did a great job of wrapping of all of my furniture in a way that allowed for transport with no issues. There is a fee for the extra care needed to box everything, but I expected that and if I loaded stuff myself into a pod I don't think all my stuff would have arrived in good care and I would've needed a lot more space. In the end the cost of them wrapping stuff I believe was made up for by the space they saved in their packing the truck.

There were some communications issues with the main office about timing and needing to remove all my stuff from the furniture before it was moved. In the end, they moved all my stuff over 2,400 miles in 13 days and made the effort to make right the miscommunication about needing to remove stuff from furniture to be transported. By the way, I was unsure how to do the postal check moving into a new town for the final 1/3 at delivery, but you can pay the entire amount on a credit card after everything is loaded up for pick-up. That made things a lot easier for me being reimbursed for all my expenses.

Original review: June 24, 2016

The movers on both ends were excellent! However the communications from the main office seemed to be outright lies many times. Was promised many call backs to address major issues but never did. Don't make the mistake of using this company. I sent pictures of everyone room and closet and after they loaded everything the final price was 50% more than I was originally quoted. So if you have a $6,500 quote plan on paying more than $9k. The dates were never communicated clearly or accurately. It was on me to constantly call them to know what was going on.

Factual basis uncertain

This was the worst experience! My husband and I have relocated several times and used a few different moving services. We always opt for a full package (packing). I called and spoke to one of their representatives on 4/19/16 to get a quote and was quoted for a full move 6200.00 moving from SC to NC. The man I spoke to took inventory by phone and told me my price was guaranteed to not go any higher. I was told that the packers would arrive on 6/2/2016 and the movers on 6/3/2016. He also told me I would receive a call 2 weeks before my move to firm up the inventory list and times. I put down the deposit (which can only be refunded if you cancel 7 days prior to the move) and waited for the call. One week before the move I still had no call so I called them and was treated like I was an idiot and told they call the day before to provide a time and that no way anyone at their company told me 2 weeks.

I finally did receive a call from the QA department to confirm my inventory list 6 days before my move date (too late to request a refund), which the woman said my inventory list was entered wrong and if I wanted everything moved it would be an additional 1600.00. I compared the 2 inventory list and they were identical with the only difference being a rocking chair. I was stuck. I removed items from the inventory to get back to the original price. We had to rent a U-Haul to pack and move items on our own. The day before the move we were told the movers would arrive at our home by 12:00, they showed at 10:00. Five men to pack and load our items in ONE day. We were told it would be pack one day load the next day, which caused us to have to rent a hotel room because they were moving our beds a day early. I wish I could send pictures of the packing job they did. Broken pictures, canned goods thrown on bread.

They did not mark any boxes so at delivery all 66 boxes (our inventory list had 144 boxes listed) were piled in my dining room. They did not wrap all of the breakable items and the urn for our infant daughter was broken. Numerous other things were thrown in boxes including our hanging clothes. The packers used large dish boxes and used so much paper on coffee cups only 12 cups were packed in one box. When the packing was completed the driver tells us that he cannot fit everything on the inventory list on the truck that we were misquoted and needed to pay more money. We ended up paying an additional amount to have our items moved. Nothing in the garage was moved (although it was on the inventory list). Our master bedroom bed was not moved because they didn't have room. They did not pack the bathrooms, left pictures on the walls and things in the kitchen, and had the nerve to ask us for a tip.

Our items were delivered on 6/4/2016 by two men in a Budget truck they had rented. All the boxes were left in the dining room because they were not marked. The truck they had rented to deliver our things had a broken lift. This was a nightmare experience for us. This company did not send us professional packers/movers, which is what we were promised. This was not a full pack job, which was also in our contract. The packers treated our belongings like it was trash. Not only did they not move everything on our inventory list, we had to rent a U-Haul trailer and move some items and will have to go back again to SC to remove the rest of our belongings and rent another U-Haul and rent another hotel room. This is the worst moving company we have ever dealt with. We will spread the word on every site to warn people about doing business with this company.

Verified ReviewerVerified Buyer

Using Exclusive Van Lines was not too much expensive than renting a U-Haul and doing it ourselves. I also talked to several other moving companies and they all seemed less honest. So, it was nice that Exclusive Van Lines didn't ransom our stuff for something. I moved from Charlotte to Seattle for work. The salespeople were very friendly and made themselves available. Customer service was a little bit harder to get in touch with, but they were friendly and helpful. The moving crew was good and on time. But it was raining then so they got the mud all over our carpet, which was kind of annoying. They also couldn't reassemble our beds because they lost a couple of screws.

I was moving from Fort Myers to Boston. I searched online for moving people from Florida and found Exclusive Van Lines. The sales team were very helpful. They gave me a good perspective of what it was going to cost and how come it costs that much. I then got the basic move service. They were supposed to come on Saturday morning but then I got a phone call on Thursday night when I was in Washington DC on business saying that they're coming on Friday at 3:00 o’clock.

I still had to get to Florida so I was a little annoyed that it was a shortcut all of a sudden saying that they’re changing the time. I would’ve liked more notice because that wasn’t what we already said. Then they said, “Well, no. We could’ve been anywhere between this range. And I was like, “Wow, that’s a big range.” But it worked out, I was able to get on a plane and everything was fine. The crew was great, clean and very helpful. They explained everything as they were going through. They made it easy, and that was the big thing for me. It was a great experience.

Exclusive Van Lines is a little on the costly side compared to others but I went with them because of the online reviews. Customer Service gave me a two-day window. They were pleasant to talk to, helpful, and answered my questions. The movers didn't come until one day prior on the given window. It would have been helpful if they were able to speak good English but it wasn't a problem. They answered all my questions.

Exclusive Van Lines estimated my move on the lower side when they did the number of cubes required to move. They wanted to charge me a little bit more money during the move, but I straightforwardly refused and they accepted it after I said I'd cancel the move. I think it happens with every moving company. Hopefully, they'll improve on that. But other than this, our move was pretty straightforward for the most part. They took care of the freight and nothing was damaged. They did what they told me they would do.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Exclusive Van Lines is an interstate moving company that specializes in providing residential and commercial moves and storage in transit solutions. The company's highly trained staff is able to offer expert advice on the relocation process and up-to-the-minute information on the location of items in shipment, and can be contacted via phone, email or an online contact form. With years of experience in the moving industry, the company has the knowledge and resources to offer dependable and efficient basic to full-service interstate moves.

• Storage assistance: Exclusive Van Lines provides storage in transit as well as short-term warehouse storage solutions for residential and commercial clients.
  • Specialty moving services: The company assists clients in relocating fragile, sentimental and valuable items, including mirrors, pianos, artwork, antiques and statues.
  • Full-service packing: Exclusive Van Lines offers preparation, packing and unpacking services to ensure items are fully protected throughout the relocation process.
  • Online shipment tracking: The company allows clients to track the location of their shipments via a 24/7 online shipment tracking feature.
  • Free estimates: Exclusive Van Lines offers free moving estimates to help potential clients make informed hiring decisions.
  • Best for Corporations, individuals, families and military personnel who are moving long distances, as well as those who require storage in transit solutions.