3.1/5 (2739 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Budget Truck Rental

Budget Truck Rental offers individual and commercial moving services. The company provides rental trucks, packing supplies and moving services. It offers some discounts and is widely available. Renters can choose between a range of cargo vans, pick-up trucks and 12-foot to 26-foot trucks.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Top Budget Truck Rental Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I rented a 16' truck from Budget a few weeks ago and received great customer service from all of the employees that I met. I picked up the truck the evening before my move, Linda ...

Verified

Rented a 16 ft truck to move my mother from Indiana to Georgia. Other than the line at the pickup being long, everything else was just as good as expected. Truck was clean and ran...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Budget Truck Rental?

Budget Truck Rental is a moving truck company that caters to individual and commercial clients. It operates nationwide with more than 1,600 company-owned and dealer locations. You can choose between cargo vans, pick-up trucks and 12- to 16-foot trucks, depending on how much you need to transport. All the trucks in its fleet have automatic transmissions, power steering and power brakes, making them easy to operate. Many also come with walk ramps or liftgates.

You can also rent towing equipment, hand trucks and furniture pads from Budget and get packing, loading and unloading assistance from its partner company HireAHelper. Budget also offers protection plans for its rental trucks, which include supplemental liability insurance and roadside assistance. It provides discounted fees for AARP members, military veterans, students, members of the Bar Association, EMTs, firefighters and police officers.

Budget Truck Rental services

Budget Truck Rental has thousands of locations around the country. You can make a reservation online, on the phone or in person. To get a quote and finalize your reservation, you’ll need to determine when you need the truck, where you’ll pick it up and drop it off and what size vehicle you need. Budget offers traditional trucks measuring 12, 16, 24 and 26 feet long. For smaller moves, you can rent a cargo van or pick-up truck.

Budget also rents out its trucks for light commercial use, offers towing equipment like car carriers and tow dollies, sells packing supplies and rents out hand trucks and furniture pads. You can also opt to get packing, loading and unloading assistance from HireAHelper.

Budget Truck Rental prices

Budget Truck Rental’s rates vary depending on the type of move. Its prices include a flat daily charge for the truck rental, per-mile fees, gas, taxes and fees. It also requires a $150 refundable deposit. The per-mile fee can range from $0.60 to $1.00, and the daily truck cost can vary from $19.99 to $49.99 or more.

You can also add liability coverage, but this will increase the price. Budget also charges no-show fees and late-return fees. Your cost will depend on where you’re moving from and to, when you need the truck, truck size and any extra services you desire. Its weekday rental prices are generally cheaper than weekend rates.

Budget Truck Rental FAQ

Are Budget trucks reliable?
    Yes, Budget’s trucks are reliable. All its locations perform 10-point inspections on the equipment before each rental. The company maintains its equipment regularly, purchases new trucks annually and retires older vehicles. If something does go wrong, the company offers 24/7 roadside assistance.
    Does Budget Truck Rental take debit cards?
    Yes, Budget accepts payment by debit card. You can pay with debit at the time of the reservation and when you return the truck. If you use a debit card, the deposit amount will appear in your account as a hold.
    What do I need to rent a truck from Budget?
    To rent a Budget truck, you need a valid driver’s license and a credit or debit card. On the day of your reservation, you must present your license and a second valid form of ID. This can be a credit/debit card, valid passport, Social Security card, U.S. military ID card, employer-issued photo ID, a current utility bill or a pay stub.
    Where is Budget Truck Rental available?
    Budget Truck Rental has over 1,600 locations in the U.S. You can use its location finder to find the closest rental facility.

Is Budget Truck Rental good?

Budget Truck Rental offers rental trucks, moving services and packing supplies for individuals and commercial customers. For those taking on a DIY move, this is an ideal service. The company has thousands of locations around the country, and it’s generally affordable for local moves. However, its fees can add up quickly, especially if you’re planning a long-distance or multiday move, and insurance coverage and roadside assistance come at an extra cost.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Budget Truck Rental?

Original review: June 10, 2022

If I could give them 0 star for Customer Service I would. The truck itself drove fine and we got to where we needed to be just fine. However, I was told at the Utah location that if I bring the truck back before it was due, we would get a refund. The drive to our new home was 12.5 hours. It took 30 min to unload and if the drop off location was open until 10:30pm, we would've brought it back. However, we settled with bringing it back the next day because the minimum they offer was 4 days and we would still bring it back way before the due date. We bring it back and ask for the refund and the lady said we would have to call customer service because they don't deal with that there. I call customer service and after being on hold for 15 minutes, they tell me that they couldn't get ahold of the Utah location, possibly because it was Memorial Day weekend but if I kept my receipts for gas and such, she's sure that I could get my refund.

Fast forward to Tuesday and they tell me they don't do refunds. I ask for a supervisor, they said they'll call me within 24-48 hours. I wait Wednesday, and still no call. Thursday comes and I directly ask for a supervisor and I wait on hold for 45 minutes and finally get someone. They tell me that they'll have to send a request to the Utah location since they told me about the refund there and once they hear back from Utah location, they will let me know. Fast forward to Tuesday, (I wanted to give them a couple of days to actually call me before I call them but that didn't happen) and the rep said that they should have an update by Wednesday. I wait Wednesday and Thursday and still no call.

I call them Friday (today) and I was told that the request was denied. I'm incredibly frustrated because I wasted my time and energy, calling them for almost 3 weeks now waiting for a resolution that would satisfy both parties. I understand that I wasn't going to get the full refund but I was told by 2 people that I would at least get something. If they offered a 2-day minimum for the truck, we would've taken it because it didn't take us long to get to our destination and unload. The customer service representative had the nerve to tell me that she didn't have a supervisor today when I asked for one and suggested I call back tomorrow. Um no. I'm out a LOT of money and I'm just annoyed at the lack of compromise with the company.

If they don't do refunds, then why would I be told that? I feel that I've been very patient and gave them the benefit of the doubt every time I've called them but every time, I've had to wait on hold for 30-40 min and rehearse to them my situation. Very frustrating and disappointing end to our experience with Budget. I suggest looking at all the rental truck options before settling for them.

Original review: June 8, 2022

I made a reservation online several weeks ago for a 26' truck and car trailer in CO. I then get an E-mail out of the blue yesterday telling me that my reservation has been canceled without any explanation with only 10 days left before my move. I called the 800 number at the bottom of the E-mail only to get someone who barely speaks English to tell me that they canceled the reservation because they cannot find a truck??? You have 10 days to go and weeks to prepare. Where are all your trucks. So I am left out in the cold with no truck after I already made airline reservations to fly in and pick up the truck and book movers. So mad and aggravated. This is worst treatment than U-haul. Don't ever rent from Budget! They clearly do not care about their customers and have no clue how to run a company!

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 11, 2022

I have been trying to get a 26ft box truck with a lift gate for several weeks. I flew out to Ohio with the little bit of money I had to pick up my truck that was confirmed by you guys. When I got to the location they told me they haven’t seen a truck in weeks. I had to use the money to pick up the truck to fly back home. You guys have no idea how much you have cost me. It is not right what you have done I am drowning in bills and even faster now because I was trying to pick up a truck that was never there to begin with. I do understand there is a shortage of equipment but I was willing to travel anywhere in the country to pick it up in good faith you guys made that reservation with an actual truck being there. I can’t get to a supervisor because you guys are terrible with customer service. I need to speak to somebody about this matter this is not right and you guys can’t keep doing this.

Original review: April 15, 2022

I made a full confirmed reservation with Budget Truck Rental approximately one month in advance of needing a 16' moving truck and a trailer to carry a car across. Approximately 23 hours prior pick up I got a call from the local rental office telling me that they did not have a trailer for me! I called the national office and they said they would look for a trailer, but that it would be "difficult" to get a driver to deliver a trailer and then have to drive back to their own offices... About 2 hours later I was told that there were no trailers available within 150 miles and that basically I was up the creek without a paddle and could call one of their competitors. Penske got my a truck and trailer that afternoon! In my book Budget Truck Rental is not going to follow through and they certainly don't care about service!

Original review: March 15, 2022

Renter beware. We made our rental reservation months in advance, only to be warned by the person at the pick up location that Budget is notorious for allowing rental reservations through their corporate site and not having any logistical expertise on delivering the truck to that location. If the business owner at the pick up location wouldn't have warned us we would not have had a moving truck. I can't stress how important it is to find another truck company to protect yourself from this situation. Budget needs to change their system here...very unprofessional.

Original review: March 10, 2022

If I could give this company one star, I would. Worst experience ever & a total waste of money. My boyfriend & I rented a truck and trailer 5 months ago & are still dealing with customer service. Upon picking up the truck/trailer, the engine light was on (worker said it was fine & there was no other truck to rent so we had to go with it). The worker kept telling us to get insurance (kinda weird how pushy they were being as if they knew the trailer would have issues).

When picking up trailer, the worker was blowing up one of the tires (thought nothing of it, maybe just needed more air). After only 3 hours of driving, the tire (that the worker was double checking & blowing up) on the trailer completely blew up & started smoking. My boyfriend is a mechanic & was able to tell that every other tire was brand new except the one that blew up. He contacted road-side assistance through Budget who left him on the side of the road for 2 hours before contacting him back & then still took another 2 hours before we gave up & decided to go to a nearby mechanic because we were on a deadline. Who knows how long Budget would have taken.

We went to a nearby mechanic who told us that we should have never been allowed to drive this trailer. The tired was so old & the trailer was missing a necessary piece to even use. We contacted Budget again who still did nothing to help so we decided to continue driving the trailer on only 3 tires because we had no choice & no extra money to spend. Once again my boyfriend is a mechanic & knows you can still drive on 3 tires & he constantly stopped to make sure there was no issues throughout the drive. Trailer looked the same from start to finish.

Eventually WEEKS later after Budget tried charging us extra for calling road-side assistance & not being there when they arrived (6 hours later apparently), we had to spend days arguing & fighting that THEY were in the wrong. Totally unprofessional. Eventually we got the money back for just the trailer rental. Now it’s 5 months later & they’re trying to charge us $1200 for trailer repairs (ISSUES THAT WERE THERE BEFORE OUR DRIVE). Total freaking scam & absolute worst company ever. Go anywhere else. It’s worth paying a little more to not have to deal with all this **.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

Never trust this company. I had booked a truck for Saturday 12, 2002 to be picked up from New Jersey, Elizabeth. On Friday 11, a few minutes before the end of working day, they called to tell me that they won't have a truck for me. No excuses, no explanations. They recommended calling Budget Truck rental to find a solution. I did, and a guy (mumbling) told me that someone would call me within 2 hours. No one ever called me. In the meantime prices have gone through the roof. I was trying to find another car through their website but the map was not working for mobiles. STAY AWAY.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

I cannot stress this statement enough: DO NOT USE BUDGET. We RESERVED two vehicles two weeks before our move; one 16 ft for furniture and whatnot, and a cargo van for our small animals. When we arrived, we were told that they needed to substitute a 12 ft truck for the van which was not acceptable. We NEEDED the van for our small animals and their cages. We turned down the 12 ft van, and ended up borrowing a small van from a friend. We were using a credit card to get the 16 ft truck, and were STILL charged a deposit. To date, that deposit has NOT been returned to us, even though "customer service" claims otherwise. Due to the fact that we did not get the vehicle we RESERVED, several of our pets lost their lives during the trip.

I contacted "customer service" regarding these, and a myriad other problems with Budget, and was told that their "terms of service" do not guarantee a vehicle will be available, even if it is reserved. That is one of the most ridiculous things I have heard in quite a while. When one RESERVES an item, and pays money for the reservation, one would reasonably expect that item to be available for the day it was RESERVED. That is what a RESERVATION is. Due to the lies, ineptitude, extremely unprofessional "customer service", and what I believe is credit card fraud, I intend on contacting an attorney to resolve these matters. In the meantime, I HIGHLY suggest that NOBODY uses Budget rentals in any way, shape or form. All the bad reviews do not lie....

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

I only rated it one because zero was not an option! I rented truck #**a couple of weeks ago to move furniture from Illinois to Alabama. It cost me a fortune to rent this truck $1265. I started my trip down I-65, and I noticed the check engine light popped up for a second time. The first time, was when I got the truck and I had a Budget mechanic drive to my house to fix it. This truck had 180k miles on it! Anyways, as I started driving south, I noticed that the suspension was horrible! I was not able to control the vehicle very well when driving around left turns or over bumps. I am guessing there were issues with the struts, ball joints, sway bar links or all of the above. I had to drive 40-45mph just to make sure I did not crash on the highway! It was horrible.

I finally made it after a 14 plus hour drive. I am surprised I didn't die from a crash or a heart attack! I returned the truck in Alabama and things did not get much better from there. The service rep was unable to log into the computer and I had to do a bunch of follow-ups just to make sure the truck was returned. I also had to speak to customer service to make sure they knew how dangerous truck #516263 was. I told them that this truck should be removed from their fleet immediately because someone was going to die driving it. A customer service rep named Geraldo told me he was going to have the truck serviced - I hoped he did! He also said he was going to reimburse me for my horrible experience...nearly two weeks later...no reimbursement! I will never rent from BUDGET again and I would recommend that you don't either!

Original review: Dec. 27, 2021

If I could give this company zero stars I would. I had a reservation for 4 weeks and 2 hours before my pick-up time, they cancel my reservation through an e-mail with no explanation. When trying to call the location, they blew me off and told me to call customer service. Customer service told me 2 hours to try and find something comparable with NO DISCOUNTS. This means I would have to incur extra costs because they didn't check inventory. So now I have a moving crew, a packed house, and no truck. Went with U-Haul and was able to get a last min truck for cheaper. DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS COMPANY. It's really not worth the anxiety on moving day.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Budget Truck Rental Company Information