1.25/5

Compare Movers

Compare Movers

Bekins Van Lines Reviews

Original review: June 11, 2019

Seriously, this is NOT someone you want to do business with. As former military, we have moved many, many times. We had more furniture damage on this move than all our prior moves combined. We used Bekins, which is owned by Wheaton, and they made a great sales pitch. It was all BS. They low-balled the weight estimate. They mixed our goods with another customer's goods on the truck. If you use this company, they will lose your stuff; they will break your stuff and they truly don't care. When we discovered a box was missing and asked for help locating it, the driver actually said "I don't have time for this crap."

Original review: June 11, 2019

ABSOLUTELY THE WORST EXPERIENCE. DO NOT TRUST THESE PEOPLE AND NEVER USE THEM. EXPENSIVE AND AWFUL. Bekins "forgot" to load 2 pieces of carefully-marked furniture that had sentimental and antique value. They destroyed an antique gilded mirror by insisting it should go in a mirror box instead of a crate. They shipped boxes of unwanted books that I now have sitting in our garage. The man who took our order got fired before the shipment got collected and he had all of the pertinent information that was then ignored. We bought insurance, but now are told that does not apply to them leaving items that then were disposed of by the cleaning service. A terrible experience and I hope no one else suffers this same way.

Original review: May 29, 2019

In short, do not use this company for interstate moves. They do not care about you or your belongings. I will detail my issues for perspective. 4/2/2019. We had Bekins and Oz moving come to our home for moving quote for a 2 bedroom/2 bath apartment between Los Angeles, CA and Boca Raton, FL. Bekins cost more but offered a shorter delivery window. We also requested storage while we looked for a home in Florida. 5/3/2019. Our move out date that would allow us extra time for our items to travel cross country before my husband started his new job on 5/20. Our guaranteed arrival date was 5/17. 5/9/2019. We have yet to receive any itinerary of the items that were moved, no weight quote, nothing. We call and are told that no one will be able to tell us where the truck is until the following Monday, 5/13. If anyone is counting, that means our items will have been gone for 10 days with no accountability.

5/13/2019. We are told our truck is in Colorado. Colorado is not close to Florida and much closer to California. We are 4 days out from our guaranteed date. 5/15-5/29/2019. We have called and harassed Bekins on a daily basis for the last 2 weeks and our items (supposedly) have traversed the country at a glacial pace. As of yesterday, (5/28/2019) we received word that our truck was in Orlando. JUST KIDDING. It's in North Carolina! 26 days without our things.

26 days without furniture. 26 days of living out of a suitcase and we still don't have our things. This company does not care about you or your belongings. Please read the other Yelp reviews to see that this is not a one off. Please hire any other company to move you cross country. My heart is breaking to know that they probably lost all my belongings and don't have the cojones to admit it. We celebrated my son's first birthday in a hotel room instead of our furnished apartment as planned. We have had to purchase new clothing because our clothing is g-d knows where. Learn from our mistakes. Wish me luck. 26 days and still counting.

Original review: May 15, 2019

Interstate move from Chicago, IL to Mobile, AL.

From what I have experienced...

1. Wheaton van lines/Bekins packs your boxes with a vague label description so that once the boxes go missing you will have no idea what has been lost.
      2. If a full delivery cannot be made and they are liable for paying you for a late delivery reimbursement, Wheaton/Bekins delivers the heaviest items first so that they can claim that the majority of the weight has been delivered and thus avoid the penalty reimbursement.
      3. Even if you purchase total replacement cost insurance and Wheaton/Bekins loses boxes, they will try to pin it back on you and state they are not liable for missing boxes.

4. The claims agents will boldly lie unless you document everything with emails.

Service cost: $6,300. Order ID: **.

Original review: April 23, 2019

Allen from A1MovesTexas.com showed up to Dallas apt to pack items. All went ok until movers arrived at destination with missing inventory items (expensive drill set and designer backpack, tote, pillows etc.) and damaged furniture. I specifically got full replacement insurance for this purpose and paid extra for it. Then the claims process began. I showed them where missing items could be purchased. They found other lower prices from unheard of websites and wanted to pay lower prices than Amazon and did not want to reimburse me for taxes and shipping, not to mention warranty expenses.

Further, the two most expensive items that were missing, which their own driver said must have been stolen, they are refusing to reimburse me stating that if I think they were stolen go file a police report. It's insane... They picked up a drill-set and designer bag, then did not deliver it at destination, and now are saying go file a police report and deal with it yourself: No reimbursement!! What they forgot to tell me is that the insurance company WVLCorp.com is their own. Movers also damaged walls of my BRAND NEW apartment... Reimbursement offered was $100. I was thinking my experience would be different than that of the typical bait and switch stories you hear...but no...this is not even a case of being overcharged, I quite literally feel robbed by Bekins. Buyer beware!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bekins Van Lines?

Original review: March 16, 2019

I have never worked with a more shady company than Bekins and A and P Moving. They came out and gave us an estimate for our move out of state and for using their storage services for 3 months. Mr. ** underestimated the weight by half! So they kept our belongings in their storage facility for months without ever giving us the courtesy of a phone call to let us know that the cost of our move would double! Additionally, A and P Moving sold us an insurance package and told us we could cancel it anytime before the moving truck left their warehouse in Novato, which we did. Once the truck arrived at our new home, the driver was told not to unload until we paid for the insurance, another $600!

The driver also told us that the insurance was cancelled prior to him leaving the warehouse and he didn't know why he was being told not to unload. I contacted Bekins directly for an explanation as to how a bid could be off by half and they refused to acknowledge the unethical business practices used by A and P Moving. Ultimately Bekins just stopped responding after my first response to their lack of explanation. I have a hard time believing that this was an accident. To not inform the customer of an error this large is unacceptable. We should have went with the company that was a little more pricey. We would have saved thousands.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

Moved from N CA to E PA Mar 2018. I would never use this company again. Six major moves and never had missing items until this one from furniture to kitchen to clothes. Advised by Bekins there is no proof of these items. Letters also to Pres & CEO no response. I was advised they questioned everyone involved and all said they had no idea. REALLY!? Also left message for driver and no response. Also their insurance only covers items to damage they actually pack. Other movers have covered damage regardless of who packs. Had I taken the time to read reviews I would never had used them.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

We hired Bekins based on their good faith estimate for our move. This estimate was given in our home after a thorough inspection of our possessions. Bekins sent 2 people to pack our 5 bedroom home, one of whom changed daily and was often their FIRST DAY ON THE JOB. THE PACKING WAS SHODDY AND THEY STAYED AT OUR HOME TILL 11PM the night before the move. STILL DID NOT REALLY COMPLETE THE JOB. The loaders and my family were still packing the morning the truck arrived.

Upon arrival at our new home we were told that the amount would be 40 PERCENT MORE and that we had to pay at least 10 percent of that ON THE SPOT or our items would not be unloaded. I contacted Bekins for weeks trying to resolve this financial dispute, and when I finally received a callback, they said since it is not a binding estimate we had to pay what they claimed we owed. I have spent months in dispute with them only to end up paying almost 30 percent more than quoted. DO NOT HIRE THIS COMPANY. THEY ENGAGE IN DECEPTIVE TRADE PRACTICES AND YOU WILL HAVE NO RECOURSE OTHER THAN A LAWSUIT. Save yourself the hassle and lies and find a reputable mover.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

I hired Bekins to pack and move me from Palm Beach, FL to NJ. I interviewed three movers and while they were the most expensive, the good online ratings moved me to hire them. I have expensive furniture and art and expressed concern about the move from the beginning. To ensure the safety of my items, I purchased an additional $50k insurance.

The packers and movers in FL were fine. Once the items left my home, the problems started. Communication challenges -- 1) I called re arrival of my items/delivery date in NJ and they couldn't tell me. 2) I heard from them less than 24 hours before they were delivering and I was told I had no choice -- the delivery date and time were not negotiable. 3) Unreliable staff bookings-- the delivery truck showed up and the driver and I were left waiting for 2 hours for manpower to unpack the truck. There was a miscommunication and booked the 3 person team for another job in NYC and ended up only sending 2 movers to my home -- making for a very long day.

Damaged goods -- Multiple large furniture items were damaged -- soiled and from using moving tape directly on the items. I photographed each item. Unfair claims policy -- You cannot submit more than one claim. So rather than immediately sending my claim, I had to wait until everything was unpacked. Due to life circumstances, this took some time. Knowing my expensive furniture was soiled and not wanting the stains to set in, I hired a professional cleaner. Thankfully, the cleaner was able to remove the stains.

I submitted the dated photographs and the cleaning bill and I was refused reimbursement -- despite the extra insurance -- b/c I didn't follow their policy of waiting. I am glad I didn't wait as the cleaning bill was far less than replacement of even one item. The other items I made claims on and didn't repair didn't fare much better. They spent time and monies sending an inspector -- more time from me away from work. They then provided a fraction of the replacement value. I now need to spend time hiring a repair person to attend to their mistakes. And to add insult to injury, this entire process took more than 8 weeks. Unclear what the extra insurance costs provided beyond my spending more money with them. Extremely disappointed. I would NOT recommend or rehire. Grateful more items weren't damaged in the move.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We have done four major moves cross country in my lifetime. We have used several large corporations with very little issue. This last move we chose BEKINS to move from Miami to Los Angeles. This is been the worst experience from start to finish. Not only were they not able to have enough room on one truck for all of our items, we had to wait for a second delivery truck to come a week later with our remaining belongings.

During the course of the move several things were damaged including a spin bike, two floor lamps etc... But the most alarming thing is I had over $24,000 worth of high-end watches and jewelry stolen from me. When I asked to have a list of all the names and contact information for the police report the moving company was not able to provide all the names of the people that were in my home. They allowed illegal packers and movers in my home. It's very unsettling knowing that the people have not had background checks done and were able to steal my items without the company knowing who these people are without being able to track them. Total invasion of my privacy and security of my family.

These people could probably come back at any given time to my home to rob or harm us. I made a police report and filed a claim with the moving company and all they want to do is settle for $445. This is absolutely ridiculous and it doesn't stop here! How can a major corporation allow people into your home without credentials? Not acceptable. Not legal. Not ethical.

Bekins Van Lines Company Information