Find a Movers partner

4.0/5 (758 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Bekins Van Lines

Bekins Van Lines is a moving company that offers assistance with a variety of moves, including both residential and commercial relocations. With Bekins, you can get a free estimate on its website by entering basic information about your move. The company provides comprehensive services and helps with international moves.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Top Bekins Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I recently moved from Amarillo, Texas to Dallas, Texas… My experience was extremely positive. The moving crew was fast, careful with my possessions, and very efficient. They arriv...

Verified

We obtained the usual estimates for our commercial office move, and Bekins came in with the best and most detailed estimate… They arrived on schedule, were prepared and had ample ...

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

What is Bekins Van Lines?

Established in 1851, Bekins Van Lines is a moving company with a wide range of services, including packing, transportation and storage for both local and interstate moves. Bekins handles both commercial and residential relocations and provides agents to assist in the planning and execution of all its moves. All its employees are subject to background checks, and its moving services are available both across the country and around the globe.

Bekins Van Lines services

Bekins Van Lines offers services ranging from planning and packing to hauling and storage. For a residential move, you can start with an online ballpark estimate, then the company will arrange a free in-home estimate and provide a more precise quote. Your move will be supervised by a Bekins agent, and you can have its movers pack for you — or you can save money by packing yourself. The company offers limited liability and full replacement value protection. It also has short- and long-term storage options.

Bekins prides itself on moving everything (including industrial and medical equipment) except hazardous materials. It offers military relocation and is a service provider for the General Services Administration (GSA) and the Centralized Household Goods Traffic Management Program (CHAMP). The company can coordinate with your employer to offer relocation packages; its international relocation assistance services include language training and furniture rentals.

Bekins Van Lines costs

Bekins Van Lines has a free ballpark estimate tool for residential moves on its website; for a move from a three-bedroom apartment in San Francisco to Seattle in mid-April, one online estimate from Bekins was between $3,839.36 and $5,047.99.

To get specific pricing information from Bekins, you’ll have to request a phone call with a service agent. The average cost of a move ranges from $200 to $5,000, depending on the distance and number of belongings. You can save money by packing some of your own items and moving in the fall or winter; peak times like spring and summer tend to be more expensive. Bekins also provides breakage protection for your belongings at an additional cost.

Bekins Van Lines FAQ

Does Bekins Van Lines offer commercial moving services?
    Yes. Not only does Bekins Van Lines offer commercial moving services, but it also can move everything but hazardous materials. This includes medical equipment, office equipment, heavy machinery, IT equipment, appliances and store fixtures.
    Where is Bekins Van Lines available?
    Bekins Van Lines is available in 95% of the U.S. It also offers international moving.
    Does Bekins Van Lines have storage services?
    Bekins Van Lines offers three kinds of storage — short-term, long-term and storage-in-transit for up to 180 days. Most of the time it can have your items ready with one day’s notice.
    Does Bekins Van Lines do cross-country moves?
    Yes, Bekins Van Lines handles cross-country and international moves. If you’re moving for work, ask Bekins to contact your employer to discuss possible relocation benefits.

Is Bekins Van Lines good?

Bekins Van Lines is ideal for complicated or specialized moves and corporate relocations, but its pricing runs a bit high for residential moves. If you’re interested in its moving services, visit its website or request a quote from a customer service representative to see if its costs fit your budget and situation.

Bekins Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Bekins Van Lines?

Original review: May 5, 2021

I have used Bekins ever since my first move when I was just a young lad, this move was nothing but the same, had a local move to Bekins of South Florida & was headed out of state, from the moment the Surveyor Christian came out till the time Joe dropped off our belongings it was a delightful experience. The company is very informative & stood out amongst all the others, from breaking down and explaining each process to seeing it in motion with the crew, I am not looking forward to moving again but if I was to do so, Bekins is my company.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

The Bekins professionals were very efficient in handling my move from New York to Florida. The care in which they took in packaging my belongings was excellent and the shipment of my belongings arrived in Florida as scheduled.

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

Bekins Van Lines moved us from Vancouver, WA to Arizona in 2014. As far as I know, we didn't lose anything. It just took months to find stuff in all those moving boxes. Overall a great moving company.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

A-1. Their packing was very good, timing was excellent. Employees did a neat job, and as a result for the first time no breakage, and no “missing items.” the truck was punctual in picking up as well as the final delivery, good job!!!!

Original review: June 28, 2021

Our family has relocated across states 2 times prior, using United. For our third move, we decided to try Bekins, and it was a bad mistake. Our goods were on the truck for 12 days, due to a long delay in delivery. Many items were simply tossed in large boxes and broke. My new grand piano was warped by the humidity. Our grand-father clock is missing a part and no longer keeps time. Though Bekins promises up to $100,000 insurance, the claim process is close to impossible, with Bekins' representative denying liability or offering absurd amounts for compensation.

For a laptop with an internally cracked screen, we were told that the policy only covers external damage (the repair bill exceeds $1,000). Liability for damage to my new Yamaha grand, which was kept on the truck in mid-winter without temperature control, was flat out denied, though the repair clearly states that the piano bed was warped. Liability for the grand-father clock was also denied, since I signed off that it was working when the company rep put it back together. I later discovered that the bottom of the pendulum was BENT to hold the pendulum in place in the absence of the lost screw. We were told to keep all broken items and create a list for each. That became impossible, since almost every box included something broken (from screws missing for tables to the cap missing on a lawn mower tank.)

Bekins did send a repair man to evaluate the damage, but they never agreed to send him back to do the actual repairs (e.g.: on a damaged $3,500 painting frame or a chest of drawers with a broken leg). I could go on and on, but what I have written is enough. I received 3 quotes from 3 moving companies, and Bekins were in the high middle. What sold me was their professional sales person. It turned out that our past moves with United were far, far better. We never had to file a claim before, and this time, though we are filing a claim, we will never recoup our loses.

Original review: June 24, 2021

DO NOT hire this company to help you move! We used Bekins to move from Long Beach, CA to Michigan. At first things seemed to go ok despite the packers refusing to wear masks (this was in the height of Covid last September). Little did I know, only some of our items were being loaded on to the moving truck. When the truck arrived in Michigan there were several items missing. When I say several, I mean over $3,000 worth of men's clothing and a large container of loose change I would conservatively estimate to be $300. I would've never guessed someone would steal pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters but sure enough... it disappeared.

I immediately reached out to Bekins to express my frustration and unhappiness and they agreed to do a "trace". Of course they did not find anything because my belongings never made it onto the moving truck! Now we have filed a claim and they have denied it because it was 1 day late. Someone working for Bekins stole my belongings and now Bekins will not do anything about it. Like I said, DO NOT use this company... their employees can't be trusted and neither can anyone in management.

Original review: March 15, 2021

Bekins is a Great company and Drivers were incredible and the customer service manager Scott ** went above and beyond. If Christian ** is your salesperson RUN. He will mislead you and tell you what you want to hear. Everything I was told over and over again he very clearly repeated and we totally understood each other. The day the Delivery drivers picked up my stuff they were very professional and took great care of my daughters belongings. 2 Hours after they leave I get a call that changed everything. My delivery Date was going to be at least 7 days later than Christan Promised and needless to say I was PISSED and would have cancelled but it was too late at that point.

This is when Christian kept saying we must have had miscommunications so that he could cover his butt. I stopped speaking with him at that point and started dealing with Scott ** from Customer Service and as upset as I was with Bekins he was very professional and understood my anger but it was out of his hands as well so I made the best of it and he stayed in touch with me pretty much daily. When the Drivers delivered my daughters Belongings again they were very professional and careful with everything and placed the Furniture and Boxes where they were supposed to go. So if you ever need a Great Moving Company I would highly recommend Bekins of South Florida only if Christian ** is not your Salesperson. HE CAN'T BE TRUSTED and should not be employed to work for Bekins unless he is retrained.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

If you want to overpay, have them not show up on time, damage all your personal belongings, not own up to any insurance claims or take any responsibility then Bekins Moving company is the right moving company for you. Beware of this company, do not use them if you want the worst experience ever in moving. I used them for a long haul move and it was a disaster from beginning to end.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

Updated on 08/22/2020: I wrote a review about my CD's missing Aug 13 and I need to adjust that review. I had a friend help me pack for the move. He thought it would be funny if he took my CD's to see how long it would take me to realize they were missing!!! NOT FUNNY!!! So, I must apologize to Bekins for suggesting that they had taken my CD's. They still destroyed my coffee table and took some things apart for no apparent reason and lost the parts.

Original Review: Bekins Van Lines moved me in July. They picked up my "stuff" on Tuesday and delivered on Wednesday. They busted up my coffee table beyond repair. Today Aug 13, I was picking out a CD to play and the plastic container was empty! I proceeded to look at my other CDs and I found over 62 CD containers empty!!!! They stole over $1000 of CDs!! I also found a foot locker that was empty when it had some small tools in it. They also took things apart that did not need to be taken apart and the screws and parts are missing. DO NOT hire Bekins Van Lines in Woodbridge, VA!!!! I have called them several times about these issues and they will not call me back!!!! They are the worst moving company I have ever used. If you care about your "stuff", don't hire them!!!!

Original review: June 21, 2020

I recently relocated to Baton Rouge Louisiana from LUBBOCK Texas, and contracted through our local Hart Moving company who arranged a long distance van from Bekins-Wheaton to pick our home belongings on May 15 2020. Delivery was made May 20th, and a very expensive piece of astronomy equipment was inadvertently left on the truck. I have been in phone and text contact with the driver, a "Rocky" ** of the San Antonio area, multiple times to try and arrange to get my equipment back. "Rocky" has repeatedly lied to my face, made up excuses and strung me along now for a month.

I made a special effort to be at home last evening when he had again promised to show up, but he was once again a no-show. He has since failed to respond to texts or calls. This unprofessional and frankly passive-agressive behavior is humiliating and unacceptable. If you value your possessions and want to have a decent experience with your move, AVOID THIS COMPANY. I REPEAT; AVOID THIS COMPANY.

Quick and easy. Get matched with a Moving partner.

Bekins Van Lines Company Information