2. Movers

4.0/5 (1150 ratings)

About Allied Van Lines

Allied Van Lines is a well-established moving company that helps households and businesses with local, long-distance and international relocations. Its services include full-service packing, short- and long-term storage, online shipment tracking and auto transport. It has been in business since 1928 and moves over 100,000 families each year.

Pros

• Online tracking
  • Wide availability
  • Easy quote process

Cons

• No 24/7 claims number
  • CHigh costs for local moves

Bottom Line

Allied Van Lines offers a range of services to make relocations go as smoothly as possible. Quotes are on the higher end, but the customizable full-service options and reliability might be worth it for some customers.

Top Allied Van Lines Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

We had a great move from Chicago To Indy during COVID-19. Ernie and Terry were our primary contacts and they were great at keeping the communications up. They brought their own PP...

Verified

The guys were awesome... I was moving across the country and I had to pack the car along with enough room for three boys ages 3 month 2 years and 4... They came and packed up ever...

About Allied Van Lines

Allied Van Lines works with an extensive network of movers across the country to facilitate moves almost anywhere. For local or interstate moves, it’s best to request a quote for the most accurate pricing estimate — just provide some details about your move and contact information.

If you like the quote, an Allied relocation assistant will help you plan and schedule your move. At this point, you'll have the opportunity to request additional services, such as storage in transit. Keep in mind that Allied requires a virtual or in-home inspection before your moving date. Once all your belongings are loaded up, you can track your shipment online or through an app.

Allied Van Lines moving costs

Allied Van Lines’ costs can vary greatly depending on where you live, where you’re going and how much stuff you have.

According to recent reviews, long-distance moves with packing services start between $2,000 and $5,000. The average cost for a cross-country move is $3,500 (based on an average weight of 7,000 pounds and a traveling distance of 1,000 miles).

The total weight of your shipment is one of the biggest price factors, so the estimate could be inaccurate if you don’t account for heavy items. Allied Van Lines has additional charges for certain services, such as full-service packing and car and boat transport.

Allied Van Lines moving services

Some services with Allied Van Lines are included in the upfront estimated price, such as loading and shipment tracking. The company can provide boxes and supplies for do-it-yourself packing, or you can hire a team to do it all, usually at an hourly rate. Some customers opt for fragile-only packing instead of full-service packing to reduce costs.

In addition to local and long-distance household moving, packing and supplies, Allied offers the following services:

• Corporate relocation
  • Cross-country moving
  • Interstate moving
  • International moving
  • Storage for in-transit items and long-term storage
  • Furniture disassembly and reassembly
  • Auto and boat transport

Allied Van Lines FAQ

Is Allied Van Lines a broker?
Allied Van Lines is registered as both a broker and a carrier, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Does Allied Van Lines have insurance?
Yes, Allied Van Lines includes basic liability coverage with every move. Under this coverage, if the company loses or damages your belongings, it reimburses you 60 cents per pound per article. This means that if your mover damages your 30-pound TV that’s worth $1,000, you would receive only $18. You can also purchase full valuation coverage, which reimburses you the actual value of items, through Allied’s Extra Care Protection plan.
Can I track my move with Allied?
Yes, Allied Van Lines has an online tracking tool you can use to check the status of a move.
Can Allied Van Lines move my car?
Yes, Allied Van Lines can find you an auto transporter to move your vehicle.
Does Allied Van Lines offer packing services?
Yes, Allied Van Lines offers full-service packing, fragile-item-only packing and supplies for DIY packing.

Is Allied Van Lines a good moving company?

Overall, we think Allied Van Lines is a good choice for most moves. Prices can be a little high, but this isn’t necessarily a negative — we tend to be wary of unusually low prices that indicate a company might be cutting corners. It’s worth it for those willing to spend a little more to make sure their movers are seasoned professionals — especially when moving over long distances.

Allied Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Allied Van Lines?

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

We used a moving broker to save money who turned out to be fraudulent costing us thousands of dollars and never getting our belongings out of the City of Tacoma.. After the police released our belongings, we contacted Alondra and George of Western Van & Storage who are agents for Allied Van & Storage. They treated us with courtesy and extreme professionalism with Alondra staying in contact with updates along the way. Both the Western and Allied moving crews showed very high levels of high quality customer service in handling and delivering our household goods. I give very high marks in recommending both companies if one has a moving need...

Get buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

We used this packing and moving service through Reebie and Allied Van Lines for another long distance move in 2010. Both times everything went very smoothly— from the estimate to the customer service support, to the packers and the truck driver. Reebie has been in business for many many years and so they knew to call the city of Chicago and get a parking permit for the large truck. The 2 packers took a full day to package everything in our 2400 SF town home, and then the 4 loaders, including the truck driver spent 5 hours loading everything. We are expecting to receive our stuff in California in ~1 week. I would use this company again. Highly recommend!

Original review: April 15, 2021

Thank you Frank and Allied/Victory Van for the stress free move! My belongings were safely moved from one location to another and were well packed. The moving staff was very friendly and helpful. They set up furniture at my new home and removed the larger boxes. They carefully handled our fragile instruments and made sure everything arrived in one piece. I have moved a lot and this was the first time care was taken to wrap ALL of my furniture. Customer service was also awesome! Thank you Kylie for always getting back to me as soon as possible with answers to my questions. We really appreciate all of you!

Original review: March 10, 2021

I would highly recommend Berger/ Allied for anyone seeking a moving company to service their moving needs. I utilized the company to help with my relocation out of state. I also needed to employ their storage services because of the complexity of my move. The Moving Coordinator Mark B** was excellent. Very professional, personable and went the extra mile to help customize my needs. The entire staff from the office personnel, primarily Rachel **, the packers & movers were very accommodating, efficient & genuinely cared about me as a customer. Giving a 5 star rating isn't sufficient to fully express my gratitude & satisfaction with the services they provided me.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2020

Allied is a good company, the movers/packers turned on that old school music and started packing to the music. It was three of them and they packed everything very well until it was time to unpack. I had a total of 3 televisions and they swore up and down I only had 2 but the invoice didn't lie. I had three and they didn't realize it until after they had left.

In my kitchen I specially told the packer to pack a certain cabinet, that included all the pots and pans, to my surprise I only had the bottoms to all my pots. Well then unpacking clothes I had a few church suits, and some Jordan tennis shoes that came up missing, and some cable equipment. Man it was frightening. I had've had to pay for the equipment that was lost which would have cost me over $900. Man I talked to my consultant. We located all the everything. Someone had moved it to the other side with someone else's stuff. But glad that I knew the person they were shipping to otherwise I would've been up the creek

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

My movers were awesome quick and on time. Thank you so much for being gentle with my items and moving as fast you did. I would recommend them especially the team I had today. They took good care of my items and packed them in the truck neatly.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

Move Coordinator Ashley ** did an outstanding job with getting the move scheduled and on track. Movers Chris and Mike did an exceptional job with packing and handling our belongings under stressful circumstances. Move Consultant Chris ** completely dropped the ball by not submitting our signed paperwork to the office to schedule the move despite having 19 days to do so. Ashley was remarkable in overcoming this blunder. Thank you again, Ashley!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

My fifth move was a charm. The communication throughout the process was outstanding. Kim ** was kind and accommodating and I owe her a debt of gratitude for making the move happen sooner versus later. My belongings were treated with care. Masterfully orchestrated!

Original review: Sept. 27, 2021

Very slow and not thorough. Left numerous items that we or the movers had to pack the next day. Complained about the number of items that had to be packed and took constant breaks to go sit in the truck and vape.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2021

Not sure just what to say. We have two broken dishes, one very good and the other good. Items that were in the desk were taken out and put in boxes. We were told that would not happen--what was in the drawers would stay there. We are still not sure about some other items which we cannot find. Most important we cannot use our piano properly. We were told that someone would be at both ends who knew how to handle it and this was not so.

Allied Van Lines Company Information