2. Movers

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.79/5

Compare Movers

At Affordable Mover, we know how stressful it can be to relocate. That's why we make moving, whether local or long distance, the easiest it can be! All aspects of your move are handled by us - from packaging, storage and insurance - we've got you covered. We also specialize in corporate relocations and have years of experience helping business find the right location. Call us today to get more information, and sleep a little easier knowing you're working with the best of the best.

Affordable Movers Reviews

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

If I could give this company a NEGATIVE 5 stars I would... To begin the movers who picked up my furniture, to my demise, stole my pain meds and I know NOBODY was in my bathroom except for those two **. I was told I was way over the quote and would have to pay more upon delivery by nearly $500. I requested my furniture request on 10-20-2017 as of today 12-12-17 I am still waiting. Sam at **, this was the number I was told to call from the main 800-208-5573 by Megan ** Operations Manager. So I called Sam he told me on 11-30-2017 it would be another 25 days for delivery. Infuriated I called back dispatch at the 800 number x2 she said I misunderstood Sam and it would be only 2-5 days not 25 days silly me. Well 2-5 days would have been a week ago. Every time they just kick the can down the road.

I have hired the best lawyers money can buy. They have my car title, I am disabled and cannot even get around without my car. The former Illinois D/A happens to be my boyfriend's father and his sister is an exceptional attorney. These people should be afraid when they stand before GOD and have to explain how bad they have treated so many people and have disrupted so many lives.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

When they give you a quote, watch out, it is for only 1/4 of the amount you will have to pay, but you don't know that until the day they show up. They sold us one half of a truck when it took two box trucks. When you think of a national company, you think 18 wheelers. No, it is a box truck that they rent down the street. So, the price when the movers came said it was 4 times the amount quoted. They don't want to return your calls, they did negotiate very little and still had to pay the big amount. They call you when you can't get your deposit back that when the truck arrives, you have to pay them in cash or by cashier's check. DO NOT USE< DO NOT USE< DO NOT USE these people. They are super friendly until they are ready to rip you off. THEY ARE SCAMMERS!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I made a reservation for a move from Virginia to Michigan with Affordable Movers. The deposit was $3500, and the agreement stated that the deposit would be fully refundable up until 3 days before the move date. I had to cancel the move back in August, and have been trying to get my deposit back ever since. They are not returning my calls or responding to my emails.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

When I first called it was pleasant. The person on the other end of the phone had all the answers. As soon as I sent my money he never spoke to me again. The movers came in a smaller truck and said they were bringing my things and load the truck that actually takes my things. I was very upset and unaware of this step prior. I found them on Consumer Affairs so I expected it to be up to par. I was very wrong. Their truck leaked all over my driveway. I almost didn't sell my house because of it. I had to clean the driveway. The driver just said to call in. There was nothing they could do. I was not kept up to date where my things were. I tried calling and couldn't get through.

I finally called as a new customer. The gentleman who spoke to me couldn't have been any ruder. I was given a cell number because U.S. Movers said there was something wrong with the phone. When my things came they were very damaged. Many things were missing. They made me pay before they unloaded. Even crates were broken. I was trying to figure out was missing. I called the delivery guy and stated some of the things that were missing. He asked if he could bring them in a few hours after his next drop. He came back and brought some of my missing items. It wasn't until after I unpacked I realized what else was missing. I understand the insurance on things that were broken, but the things that were missing should be accounted for. They offered me under $100 for everything. This has been one of the worst experiences of my life.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I have moved while I was in the military several times. This was the first time I have done it as a civilian. It's a much different experience. They are much more cordial. And understood I was the customer and not the US Navy. Other than that the level of service was the same and they actually delivered faster than Allied or United ever did.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Affordable Movers?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Moving Service from Colorado Springs, CO to Eureka Springs, AR. My husband and I had a budget of $7500 to make this move. Sales Representative promised things the company could not deliver and the information contradicted what was written in the contract agreement. BUYERS BEWARE! They low ball the original estimate to draw you in and once it's too late to back out they nail you. This is provided so that others can be knowledgeable upfront. THIS WAS OUR EXPERIENCE:

Initial pitch from the rep was great and their years of experience and abilities touted as exceptional. When asked if someone would come out to the house to provide an estimate, I was told they found that walking through the home with the customer via phone was just as accurate as sending someone to perform the walk-through in person so we proceeded to do so. When finished she was told all items in the garage and two sheds would also be included in the move. I was informed at this time that I could back out of the contract up to 3 days before household goods were to be picked up and receive a full refund. Additionally, in the initial conversation, I stated we were moving to a home that was located down a long, steep, one lane and winding road. The rep stated the scheduling people would google the location and get back to us if there was an issue with delivery and or additional cost.

FIRST ESTIMATE for a 3 bedroom home with garage and two sheds provided by sales rep on 21 Jun 2017: $6500. Since this was within our budget - we signed up. Deposit of 20% required at that time. Communication was lacking after the initial conversation so much so that I wrote an email to the rep with my concerns. Pictures were provided via text to the sales rep to ensure she had as much information to provide an accurate estimate. SECOND ESTIMATE given 18 Jul 2017, the day before pick up (it's now past the 3 day window to back out) and was informed that this was a "WORST CASE SCENARIO": $7200. I told the sales rep that we were okay with the increase.

THIRD ESTIMATE given 19 Jul 2017, by the head of the pickup crew: $9376. This was extremely disconcerting. They had to be paid 50% in Cashier's check. I was informed THEY WOULD NOT CONTINUE UNLESS PAID. I was then told to sign a form rescinding the original estimate - I reluctantly did so with a note stating that this is not according to the binding estimate (Worst Case Scenario) provided by the sales rep. Just one other piece of information, in early conversation with the sales rep a delivery date of 25 Jul to the new location was requested. She informed me, via phone, that the requested date should pose no problem because they usually take about 5-6 days for delivery - this statement from the rep was in direct conflict with what is documented in the contract.

I was informed by the Transportation Manager on the day of pick up, that the requested date could not be accommodated and they had up to three weeks to deliver the goods. I was also informed at this time there would probably be an additional charge due to the location of the new home. FOURTH ESTIMATE given 27 July 2017, prior to delivery of the household goods to new location: $12,000. THEY WOULD NOT DELIVER UNTIL 70% OF TOTAL WAS PAID. I paid the total amount so that no more snags would be encountered.

BUT: another email was received from dispatch on 31 July 2017 asking for yet another $500. I told her I would not pay another cent until I spoke with the owners of the company. Not another word was said until the day of the delivery - once unloaded, the transportation manager stated I owed another $500 dollars and if not paid, they would reload everything. ORIGINAL BID: $6500 ACTUAL AMOUNT PAID: $12,500. How does a company that is supposed to have all this experience be so far off with a bid? The household goods were held ransom at each stage of the process until they received payment for their cost increases.

Just a few more pieces of information: Now that we have gone through most of the delivery, several items are totally missing such as a large tool cabinet, a tool box, bike rack, hitch extension, and dolly along with many broken items such as two taxidermy fish and turkey feather mount, crystal glasses, slow cooker etc. Please note that although they have one experienced person who manages, they hire local temps to perform the actual packing. Although I do plan to make a claim, they have you sign the form with the following warning: "Before signing check shipment, count items and describe loss or damage in space on the right above". There is no way that all items can be checked in the amount of time the delivery personnel are at the house. A BBB complaint has been filed to no avail. We're hoping this review will save a lot of people from the moving nightmare we experienced.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

We moved from Chicago to Houston, TX two months ago. The scheduled pick up time was at 10:00 am in the morning, but they came at around 8:00 pm in the evening and finished after midnight. The driver called Mike (in Chicago) doubled the quote for the cube feet that was obtained over the phone with Brandon so we were charged two times higher.

It was too dark for us to check the cube feet in the truck in Chicago since it was after midnight. But we checked the cube feet when it delivered to Houston and confirmed the overcharge. Plus the delivery delayed for many days. Even worse, we have many damaged items and missing items. We contacted both Brandon and Julia about these issues by emails many times in the past two months but both of them never replied. We would give them a negative star. We will never use this company again!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Every review you read on here that is one star is correct. The positive ones have to be fake cause there is no way this company has ever been rated positive by a actual person who has used them!! In real life they are the worst moving company I have ever dealt with... EVER! I have moved across country three times and this was just a horrible experience from this unprofessional and scamming company of misfits. First the quoting scam they play is spot on in the negative reviews! They will quote you the lowest cost and lie to you about it being firm. Then when they show up to maybe you they will tell you it must be doubled in order to move your stuff. Yes doubled, not slightly higher or an increase of a small amount... DOUBLED!!

I told them to get back in their truck and go pound sand!!! I'm not paying double for a "firm" quote I was given! After about 20 minutes of haggling we settled on a price that was competitive from now what I know as "reputable moving companies"! I didn't need "door to door" so I wasn't concerned about the delivery window which wasn't bad. Details: the firm quote I was given was $7,061.25, when they showed up to move my stuff it was quoted to me over the phone as $14,700.00!! We settled on $11,000!!

Now for the delivery: the delivery was the worst overall I was contacted and asked if they could show up the same day as they called three weeks later at 8:00 pm, I have a lot of stuff and they said it will take three hours to unload, I told them no way in hell and to reschedule. They called again and said okay the next day at 5:00 pm and they never showed up! Then they called me at 10:00 pm and said 2:00 pm the next day, I agreed. They ended up showing up at 3:30 and it was just two guys that took 7 hours to unload my stuff! Yes seven hours and because they were so slow and incompetent I had them put the majority of stuff in the garage because it was taking them forever!!! They didn't leave my house until 11:00 pm that night! What made it even more comical at this point was the fact they were late for me because they picked up a load from someone else and had to unload it on the street before they could unload my stuff.

The two guys were slow, horrible and totally unprofessional! After all was done almost everything that we unwrapped was either scratched or broken! Almost Everything not exaggerating, if it wasn't scratched it was broke! They wrapped my TVs in blankets and as you can guess my largest one a 55" LCD Samsung was shattered!!! My furniture was beat and had chunks missing from the wood or veneer! Other things were just completely destroyed and many items missing!!! If you care about your stuff and money go anywhere else, I will never forget this and make sure anyone I know who is moving will be warned to not use this company that should be put out of business!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I called Affordable Movers at the last minute after another company left me high and dry on the day of my move. Luckily I was able to speak to my landlord and get another day. Affordable did show up the next day and did a great job. All my furniture was wrapped so no damage took place. They packed a few boxes for me on the house as well since I was still running behind. Overall a great company in comparison to the other one I was dealing with beforehand.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

From the beginning to the end I was pleased with Affordable Movers. Bob was my salesperson and he was very upfront about the process and what I was to expect along the way. The actual movers themselves were very professional and took great care of my belongings. I would definitely use them again although I never want to move this distance ever again in my life. Thanks to Affordable Movers team!

Affordable Movers Company Information