4.00/5
Based on 158 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Discover the right moving company for you

Affordable Movers

At Affordable Mover, we know how stressful it can be to relocate. That's why we make moving, whether local or long distance, the easiest it can be! All aspects of your move are handled by us - from packaging, storage and insurance - we've got you covered. We also specialize in corporate relocations and have years of experience helping business find the right location. Call us today to get more information, and sleep a little easier knowing you're working with the best of the best.

Last updated: April 10, 2018

164 Affordable Movers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 10, 2018

Let’s face it, it’s nerve-racking sorting through all the different movers to find the right one to trust. So, when I had to find a mover to transport my personal belongings, some not valuable in price but certainly sentimental and irreplaceable, I combed through several mover’s backgrounds, read hundreds of reviews, and wondered if I would ever find one I could trust with moving my stuff from Florida to Nevada. After searching for several weeks, I decided on using Affordable Movers because it had an A+ BBB rating, was licensed, registered, and insured, and was an actual mover (not a broker) with its own trucks, drivers, and staff.

From the moment I spoke to Josh **, Senior Relocation Specialist, I knew I had the right company. He was truthful, helpful, patient with my questions, and always responded to phone calls, texts, and emails. Knowing that I could call him if I had a problem was reassuring. Julia, Ops Manager, called to let me know when my items would be picked up.

The driver, David, and two movers: Steve and Alex showed up bright and early (as I had hoped) on the exact day scheduled. Pick-up and delivery were smooth and well organized. The delivery driver, Pedro, called me the day before and showed up on-time. Everyone I encountered, was professional and wore shirts with the company’s logo. And I was relieved to see that the price never changed. It was as agreed. This is an OUTSTANDING mover. I highly recommend them for peace of mind. They are reliable and truthful in their pricing. Thank you, Affordable Movers, for your fantastic service and for exceeding my expectations!

Original review: March 17, 2018

Their website says that Affordable Movers are "not brokers." We were led to believe that we had hired a COMPANY, NOT BROKERS, to move my mother's things from California to Tennessee on December 3rd. We went to get mom and flew her here. Affordable Movers was hired to go to her residence home, pack up her things and bring them to Tennessee. We were assured that the utmost care would be taken of her things.

In mid-December, two guys delivered SOME of my mom's things, along with THE CONTENTS OF ANOTHER WOMAN'S apartment, including two TVs, a queen bedroom set (which they stacked on top of my mom's double sized mattress and box spring although they were different sizes). I found a packing slip with the woman's name and found her online. Her things (table, chairs, bed, 17 boxes, bed, etc) had been picked up in Arizona and were supposed to go to FLORIDA. She had hired a company calling itself "Texas Top Movers." She has also gone through a huge upset over this, and has never gotten all of her things.

When I called and told them these weren't my mother's things, two guys came out and argued with me, telling me quite condescendingly that they only delivered what was on the truck. They tried to imply that: a) the items had never left the original truck and b) these WERE my mother's things (!). They then said they would call their boss, and they got in their truck and simply DROVE AWAY. My 84 year old mother was literally SOBBING.

After we called our "Affordable Movers representative", the two men came back and picked up the other woman's things. Meanwhile they had found another wardrobe box (where?) belonging to my mother. When they were unloading it, the box burst open in the (dirty) truck, spilling her delicate, valuable clothing all over the dirty truck and parking lot. I thank God she did not witness that. A white pants suit was ruined with grease stains. My mother has an expensive, designer/boutique wardrobe and only about a third of it arrived.

When we called "Affordable movers" about this, a phone number was given to us by our original representative (who is no longer with the company). The number ended up being in Florida, although we had hired a company that was reportedly in Oklahoma. We were told that we had to talk to the "west coast division" and we were given another number. No one answered that number and they did NOT return ANY calls, PERIOD. We have left as many as 20 messages. Finally when a man picked up, we were given a convoluted runaround story about things being left in mom's apartment because they were above the contracted amount. This is true. My husband had approved their leaving some things behind. But we had hired a friend to pack up what was left behind and ship it. No clothes were left behind.

We filed a "claim." We were not provided with an actual CLAIM FORM at this point, just an email we printed out and wrote some of the items my mom could remember on - and faxed over to the Florida office, who answers the phone: "Nationwide Movers", not "Affordable Movers". They said that it would take 6 weeks to process the "claim." The girl there was friendly and tried to be helpful, in her defense. We are talking about literally THOUSANDS of dollars worth of designer clothes. My mother is 83 years old and this is so traumatic for her that it is downright CRIMINAL. She was already traumatized by moving across the country, before this horrible mess.

Finally (2 months later), we convinced the man, Sam, that the clothes were missing and he says he did do a diligent search for them before turning us over to the insurance company. At this point we have been referred to their insurance company who is demanding receipts and date of purchase for every item we are declaring to be lost. Can anyone tell me what woman on earth can produce receipts for every item of clothing in her wardrobe? It is completely absurd. If anyone has advice for me on how I can get compensation for my mom, I would greatly appreciate it!

We have tried to be polite and agreeable in trying to get this resolved. But due to the lack of any concern for my aging mother, and the gross negligence of this company, people should be warned. These people are brokers, not a professional moving company. Items are picked up, brought to a warehouse, and dispersed to various locations by other subcontractors. They are a disorganized nightmare. If you are considering using Affordable Movers, my advice is DON'T DO IT. Hire American Van Lines. We used them 8 years ago for a cross country move. They cost a bit more but every single item arrived in perfect shape.

With all that was lost, this Affordable, "good deal" was anything but that. Like I said before: This has been a nightmare, credit given to the girl at dispatch who tried to help and the warehouse manager(?) for finally following through, but still, it looks like mom's stuff is just GONE and we won't be able to recoup her losses.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2018

To be honest I didn’t actually use this company. I did get a quote from Josh **, the price was reasonable and I would have used them if the dates lined up better. Even without me using their service, Josh steered me through what felt like a ton of information by helping me vet other companies and make sure I wasn’t getting ripped off. Of course everyone is out to make a sale but really this felt like Josh was just trying to help. That is a rare thing this day and age. I fully recommend his service and he really knows what he is talking about.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

My company put me in touch with Affordable Movers. Apparently they work with them all the time. I was given an estimate on the phone and my company paid for the move directly. So really all I can comment on is the men. They were on time and worked diligently. All my items were protected with blue blankets. Delivery took about 4 days. Overall a good experience.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

My first experience with Affordable Movers has been the worst customer experience in my lifetime of 55 years. I booked a short notice emergency small move from North Carolina to Wisconsin following the death of a member in my family. I expressed the importance of a fast delivery. The agent was very good at scheduling an immediate pickup and assured me that it would be delivered within 7-10 days. My goods have now been stored in a warehouse for 22 days with no schedule to move the goods.

One week after my goods were picked up, I began trying to track my shipment. The past two weeks have been a series of repeated failures and frustration, including: 1) Dispatch unable to inform me of a shipment schedule. 2) Dispatch telling me my goods have been loaded and shipped, then 2 days later telling me the truck departed without my goods. 3) Dispatch making repeated promises that my goods are going on the next truck, within 2-3 days. 4) Dispatch hanging up on me after placing me on hold for 20 minutes. 5) Customer service hanging up on me after placing me on hold for 20 minutes. 6) Customer service, no response after leaving numerous voicemail messages. 7) Original agent not responding to emails. 8) Website advertises online tracking by entering a form of information. After you enter information, it goes to a black hole with no response.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Affordable Movers?

Original review: Jan. 25, 2018

I decided to use Affordable after being contacted by about 3 or 4 different movers. I decided to use them because they are the actual movers and don't sub the job out. The move was great and I got everything on time and in good condition.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I hired Affordable Movers because the HR rep at my firm recommended them. She was right. I have moved before with horrible results but this time was a breeze. They gave me a great quote and the men at both pick up and delivery were great. Especially Isaac. Thanks guys!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

If I could give this company a NEGATIVE 5 stars I would... To begin the movers who picked up my furniture, to my demise, stole my pain meds and I know NOBODY was in my bathroom except for those two **. I was told I was way over the quote and would have to pay more upon delivery by nearly $500. I requested my furniture request on 10-20-2017 as of today 12-12-17 I am still waiting. Sam at **, this was the number I was told to call from the main 800-208-5573 by Megan ** Operations Manager. So I called Sam he told me on 11-30-2017 it would be another 25 days for delivery. Infuriated I called back dispatch at the 800 number x2 she said I misunderstood Sam and it would be only 2-5 days not 25 days silly me. Well 2-5 days would have been a week ago. Every time they just kick the can down the road.

I have hired the best lawyers money can buy. They have my car title, I am disabled and cannot even get around without my car. The former Illinois D/A happens to be my boyfriend's father and his sister is an exceptional attorney. These people should be afraid when they stand before GOD and have to explain how bad they have treated so many people and have disrupted so many lives.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

When they give you a quote, watch out, it is for only 1/4 of the amount you will have to pay, but you don't know that until the day they show up. They sold us one half of a truck when it took two box trucks. When you think of a national company, you think 18 wheelers. No, it is a box truck that they rent down the street. So, the price when the movers came said it was 4 times the amount quoted. They don't want to return your calls, they did negotiate very little and still had to pay the big amount. They call you when you can't get your deposit back that when the truck arrives, you have to pay them in cash or by cashier's check. DO NOT USE< DO NOT USE< DO NOT USE these people. They are super friendly until they are ready to rip you off. THEY ARE SCAMMERS!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

I made a reservation for a move from Virginia to Michigan with Affordable Movers. The deposit was $3500, and the agreement stated that the deposit would be fully refundable up until 3 days before the move date. I had to cancel the move back in August, and have been trying to get my deposit back ever since. They are not returning my calls or responding to my emails.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

When I first called it was pleasant. The person on the other end of the phone had all the answers. As soon as I sent my money he never spoke to me again. The movers came in a smaller truck and said they were bringing my things and load the truck that actually takes my things. I was very upset and unaware of this step prior. I found them on Consumer Affairs so I expected it to be up to par. I was very wrong. Their truck leaked all over my driveway. I almost didn't sell my house because of it. I had to clean the driveway. The driver just said to call in. There was nothing they could do. I was not kept up to date where my things were. I tried calling and couldn't get through.

I finally called as a new customer. The gentleman who spoke to me couldn't have been any ruder. I was given a cell number because U.S. Movers said there was something wrong with the phone. When my things came they were very damaged. Many things were missing. They made me pay before they unloaded. Even crates were broken. I was trying to figure out was missing. I called the delivery guy and stated some of the things that were missing. He asked if he could bring them in a few hours after his next drop. He came back and brought some of my missing items. It wasn't until after I unpacked I realized what else was missing. I understand the insurance on things that were broken, but the things that were missing should be accounted for. They offered me under $100 for everything. This has been one of the worst experiences of my life.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I have moved while I was in the military several times. This was the first time I have done it as a civilian. It's a much different experience. They are much more cordial. And understood I was the customer and not the US Navy. Other than that the level of service was the same and they actually delivered faster than Allied or United ever did.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Moving Service from Colorado Springs, CO to Eureka Springs, AR. My husband and I had a budget of $7500 to make this move. Sales Representative promised things the company could not deliver and the information contradicted what was written in the contract agreement. BUYERS BEWARE! They low ball the original estimate to draw you in and once it's too late to back out they nail you. This is provided so that others can be knowledgeable upfront. THIS WAS OUR EXPERIENCE:

Initial pitch from the rep was great and their years of experience and abilities touted as exceptional. When asked if someone would come out to the house to provide an estimate, I was told they found that walking through the home with the customer via phone was just as accurate as sending someone to perform the walk-through in person so we proceeded to do so. When finished she was told all items in the garage and two sheds would also be included in the move. I was informed at this time that I could back out of the contract up to 3 days before household goods were to be picked up and receive a full refund. Additionally, in the initial conversation, I stated we were moving to a home that was located down a long, steep, one lane and winding road. The rep stated the scheduling people would google the location and get back to us if there was an issue with delivery and or additional cost.

FIRST ESTIMATE for a 3 bedroom home with garage and two sheds provided by sales rep on 21 Jun 2017: $6500. Since this was within our budget - we signed up. Deposit of 20% required at that time. Communication was lacking after the initial conversation so much so that I wrote an email to the rep with my concerns. Pictures were provided via text to the sales rep to ensure she had as much information to provide an accurate estimate. SECOND ESTIMATE given 18 Jul 2017, the day before pick up (it's now past the 3 day window to back out) and was informed that this was a "WORST CASE SCENARIO": $7200. I told the sales rep that we were okay with the increase.

THIRD ESTIMATE given 19 Jul 2017, by the head of the pickup crew: $9376. This was extremely disconcerting. They had to be paid 50% in Cashier's check. I was informed THEY WOULD NOT CONTINUE UNLESS PAID. I was then told to sign a form rescinding the original estimate - I reluctantly did so with a note stating that this is not according to the binding estimate (Worst Case Scenario) provided by the sales rep. Just one other piece of information, in early conversation with the sales rep a delivery date of 25 Jul to the new location was requested. She informed me, via phone, that the requested date should pose no problem because they usually take about 5-6 days for delivery - this statement from the rep was in direct conflict with what is documented in the contract.

I was informed by the Transportation Manager on the day of pick up, that the requested date could not be accommodated and they had up to three weeks to deliver the goods. I was also informed at this time there would probably be an additional charge due to the location of the new home. FOURTH ESTIMATE given 27 July 2017, prior to delivery of the household goods to new location: $12,000. THEY WOULD NOT DELIVER UNTIL 70% OF TOTAL WAS PAID. I paid the total amount so that no more snags would be encountered.

BUT: another email was received from dispatch on 31 July 2017 asking for yet another $500. I told her I would not pay another cent until I spoke with the owners of the company. Not another word was said until the day of the delivery - once unloaded, the transportation manager stated I owed another $500 dollars and if not paid, they would reload everything. ORIGINAL BID: $6500 ACTUAL AMOUNT PAID: $12,500. How does a company that is supposed to have all this experience be so far off with a bid? The household goods were held ransom at each stage of the process until they received payment for their cost increases.

Just a few more pieces of information: Now that we have gone through most of the delivery, several items are totally missing such as a large tool cabinet, a tool box, bike rack, hitch extension, and dolly along with many broken items such as two taxidermy fish and turkey feather mount, crystal glasses, slow cooker etc. Please note that although they have one experienced person who manages, they hire local temps to perform the actual packing. Although I do plan to make a claim, they have you sign the form with the following warning: "Before signing check shipment, count items and describe loss or damage in space on the right above". There is no way that all items can be checked in the amount of time the delivery personnel are at the house. A BBB complaint has been filed to no avail. We're hoping this review will save a lot of people from the moving nightmare we experienced.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

We moved from Chicago to Houston, TX two months ago. The scheduled pick up time was at 10:00 am in the morning, but they came at around 8:00 pm in the evening and finished after midnight. The driver called Mike (in Chicago) doubled the quote for the cube feet that was obtained over the phone with Brandon so we were charged two times higher.

It was too dark for us to check the cube feet in the truck in Chicago since it was after midnight. But we checked the cube feet when it delivered to Houston and confirmed the overcharge. Plus the delivery delayed for many days. Even worse, we have many damaged items and missing items. We contacted both Brandon and Julia about these issues by emails many times in the past two months but both of them never replied. We would give them a negative star. We will never use this company again!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Every review you read on here that is one star is correct. The positive ones have to be fake cause there is no way this company has ever been rated positive by a actual person who has used them!! In real life they are the worst moving company I have ever dealt with... EVER! I have moved across country three times and this was just a horrible experience from this unprofessional and scamming company of misfits. First the quoting scam they play is spot on in the negative reviews! They will quote you the lowest cost and lie to you about it being firm. Then when they show up to maybe you they will tell you it must be doubled in order to move your stuff. Yes doubled, not slightly higher or an increase of a small amount... DOUBLED!!

I told them to get back in their truck and go pound sand!!! I'm not paying double for a "firm" quote I was given! After about 20 minutes of haggling we settled on a price that was competitive from now what I know as "reputable moving companies"! I didn't need "door to door" so I wasn't concerned about the delivery window which wasn't bad. Details: the firm quote I was given was $7,061.25, when they showed up to move my stuff it was quoted to me over the phone as $14,700.00!! We settled on $11,000!!

Now for the delivery: the delivery was the worst overall I was contacted and asked if they could show up the same day as they called three weeks later at 8:00 pm, I have a lot of stuff and they said it will take three hours to unload, I told them no way in hell and to reschedule. They called again and said okay the next day at 5:00 pm and they never showed up! Then they called me at 10:00 pm and said 2:00 pm the next day, I agreed. They ended up showing up at 3:30 and it was just two guys that took 7 hours to unload my stuff! Yes seven hours and because they were so slow and incompetent I had them put the majority of stuff in the garage because it was taking them forever!!! They didn't leave my house until 11:00 pm that night! What made it even more comical at this point was the fact they were late for me because they picked up a load from someone else and had to unload it on the street before they could unload my stuff.

The two guys were slow, horrible and totally unprofessional! After all was done almost everything that we unwrapped was either scratched or broken! Almost Everything not exaggerating, if it wasn't scratched it was broke! They wrapped my TVs in blankets and as you can guess my largest one a 55" LCD Samsung was shattered!!! My furniture was beat and had chunks missing from the wood or veneer! Other things were just completely destroyed and many items missing!!! If you care about your stuff and money go anywhere else, I will never forget this and make sure anyone I know who is moving will be warned to not use this company that should be put out of business!!!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I called Affordable Movers at the last minute after another company left me high and dry on the day of my move. Luckily I was able to speak to my landlord and get another day. Affordable did show up the next day and did a great job. All my furniture was wrapped so no damage took place. They packed a few boxes for me on the house as well since I was still running behind. Overall a great company in comparison to the other one I was dealing with beforehand.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

From the beginning to the end I was pleased with Affordable Movers. Bob was my salesperson and he was very upfront about the process and what I was to expect along the way. The actual movers themselves were very professional and took great care of my belongings. I would definitely use them again although I never want to move this distance ever again in my life. Thanks to Affordable Movers team!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I have moved ten times and this was by far my worst experience. Rugs were lost, dishes broken, lamps broken, statues broken, clothing wrapped in a blanket rather than hung in a garment box which I was charged $85 for. They did the packing no less.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

8/27/17- Move from VA to FL. Michael, Sr. Consultant for Affordable Movers told me more lies than I can recount. The most egregious of them all being that he promised the price was guaranteed and absolutely would not change. He said "Unless we surprised them with a hot tub, the estimate was binding and would stay the same". He even went so far as to say his quote was "over estimated by 5%" to leave extra room for more items.

Last Wednesday, I told him we had over 50 boxes and were still packing and were taking an extra chest of drawers and love seat. He assured me this would not impact the cost but that he would write it down. However, he did not inform the drivers. When the movers arrived, they said the estimate was wrong and that we now owe $5,649 which is over double the estimate ($2550). This is completely unacceptable. We were stuck because we had to move so we had no other choice than to agree to the new terms. We were basically at their mercy with no one to call and no way to resolve it. Michael promised to be available on Saturday 8/19/17 during our move for precisely this reason. He said he would call and check on us during the move. He said he would "see the move through start to finish."

However, on the day of the move, he was not available by phone, email or text and did not return my call or call on his own. This was very concerning because the move was not going as promised. I felt completely abandoned and taken advantage of. He promised to handle any issues that came up on the day of the move. Over a week later and still no call or email from him. Furthermore, we were not given any communication from the company as to where our items were. I had to call every day to find out. The "track shipment" on the website does not actually work. Another lie.

Finally, when our items were being picked up the driver's helper followed me to my car and pressured me for a 15% tip and said he'd "take care of us if we take care of him" and said "he doesn't get paid by the company but that tips is how he eats". He made me feel extremely uncomfortable and I felt in danger. My husband did give him and the driver a tip because to be honest we were frightened for our safety. When they opened the tip, they complained and said it was not enough and said they have a "harder job than the people unloading the items so they should be tipped more". That is so unprofessional and inappropriate. And to top it off, the movers left two holes in our wall. I called to tell the mover and he told me to fix it myself.

On 8/21/17 Megan, customer service rep, heard my story and admitted it was awful and that Michael lied and that the mover was inappropriate. She promised a discount and to call me back. I'm still waiting for that call. This company made an already stressful experience completely awful. Thankfully our items did arrive on 8/27/17 however there was some damage to our items and home.

The drivers who did the delivery were very good. They acted professionally. I appreciate their hard work and honesty. However they were forced by their superiors to unload someone else's items into our garage so they could get to our belongings. This caused an extra hour of time. Not to mention, how unprofessional it is of a company to unload someone else's belongings into my garage. The best part - they call themselves affordable movers and yet they ended up costing us more than even the highest estimate we received! We have since found several of our items to be broken and are missing a book shelf.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

This was my first move and I'm so happy I chose Affordable. Not only was the price great but the movers were so polite and worked so hard. My whole house was packed in just half a day!! The guys even gave me one of their rolls of bubble wrap so I could finish packing some art I had. I wish I could give them 10 stars!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

These guys put on a good show when they arrived, packed everything up mostly in a professional manner. When they delivered at the other end, in a different truck our stuff was literally thrown in and boxes broken open everywhere. Almost nothing was undamaged, only the stuff we packed ourselves in indestructible boxes. Some stuff missing, did not realize till later because driver did not have page 2 of manifest and I could not read mine to check inventory. The lack of respect for our stuff was appalling... We don't have a lot of high end stuff but some heirlooms and all were broken or damaged.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2017

Every post on here is a replica of our exact experience. Affordable Movers came across professional on the phone and quoted us our lowest quote. We hired them for our cross country move and from there everything went south. Once they showed up they doubled our quote. With our house packed and about to hit the road, plus the down payment you have already paid, they know you have no choice. It took us a MONTH to get our stuff and they promised one week. Once they delivered, they would not take anything upstairs, our boxes were smashed and some stuff never made it. We ended up with other people's belongings and several boxes (one being almost all of my shoes) never made it. Furniture was broken, and there was clearly no regard for our life's possessions. I would not use them for any reason. There is a reason they are not BBB certified.

Original review: July 25, 2017

EVERYTHING was a lie!! Bait and Switch classic! I am a seasoned mover, i.e. military. I have had 15 professional moves. I knew the quote was too good to be true, but money was not the issue. I don't mind paying a fair price. A fair price would have been about 5K. They quoted $2900.00... I told him Michael the smooth salesperson... that I need door to door... that was my main concern. Did not want my stuff put in storage and no semi trucks, etc. He told whatever it is he thought I need to hear.

They showed up in the biggest truck I have ever seen. Before I let them load I called and said my stuff will be in CA next week... "Yes ma'am. Should be no problem". Packer/driver would not commit. Quote end up to 5800! I did not have any appliances, or garage tools, etc. Just boxes and light furniture. I told him there were stairs, he said he would have that waived. Anyway they did a good job nicely packing my stuff...that is all I can say positive.

So I rush To CA. I have only 10 days off before I go to work to get settled, etc. I am going to be traveling job after that. Long story short... they put my stuff in PCola storage down the street. I sat in empty house 3 weeks, no work clothes, etc. At one time they actually lied to me and told me it was on its way and then driver called and told me he didn't have my stuff. I had told them I would fly back and rent a haul and get my stuff myself... I talked to everyone possible... Isaac bold faced lied to me. Michael the sales person who said he'd be there till end disappeared. So stuff finally arrives after I am sure they found the cheapest person to contract it out too... It looked like stuff had been just thrown on truck! Broken legs, missing chair and missing at least 2 boxes of handmade Italian dishes that can't be replaced and still not sure what else is missing!

I had to travel after stuff arrived and am still unpacking. Ruined my 4th of July. Stuff should have arrived 2 weeks prior to holiday as promised and planned. Yes the contract made no promises. But I trust people's word... Their M.O. is get your money and then do what they want. It did not have to go down like this. If I had only paid 2800.00 as quoted I would have been much more patient with my delay... but for what I was put through. I could have had a full pack and move. I packed myself and was quite organized.

All the negative reviews here are spot on and same story! I have barely touched on it. They need to be put out of business...THEY DONT CARE!!! It is pre calculated, their norm... I think they quote everyone around 3k... then it doubles! There is no reason to do business this way. I plan to post until I am reimbursed at least $1000.00 for move and my claim is paid! DO not use them!!! I did not have the time nor energy to do this but I am. No one should have to go through with this. I do not know how any of them sleep at night.

Original review: July 24, 2017

Hired Affordable Movers out of Edmond, OK. Saw all the great reviews and decided to use them. BIG MISTAKE! They were two days late. (It was one excuse after another, all lies.) When movers did finally show up, they tried to extort us! Told us that the contract we had signed was not good, and the deposit that had been paid didn't matter, that if we didn't pay the entire amount of the move to them they wouldn't load furniture.

We contacted the "Customer Service" several times. Had to use different phones because if they saw our number they wouldn't answer. Talked to Meagan the supposedly supervisor and she was a joke. We could hear the "Customer Service lady" talking beside her. We finally told movers to leave and they told us that they had our deposit. We have contacted the Georgia Department of Public Safety. What they did is against the law in Georgia. These people do business in several states so be careful. Too many good companies out there to do business with this one.

Original review: July 18, 2017

If you are looking for a moving company who will NOT return phone calls, respond to emails, misquote your move costs, and sell you a different bill of goods then stop reading and use Affordable-Movers.net. They are happy to take your money, belongings, and not deliver. To say working with this company has been terrible is an understatement.

My family and I relocated from Atlanta, Georgia to Denver, Colorado. I spoke with Michael (no last name) who presented himself as a senior sales representative. He was professional and assured me my requested date of delivery would not be a problem. I expressed how important his honesty was as my husband and I were starting our new jobs within a few days of the delivery. Michael reassured me this was not a problem and continued to explain how professional Affordable Movers are, this is a full service move, and no need to worry about anything. Affordable Movers would take care of it. I agreed to the terms, paid the $895 deposit, and agreed to 06/28/2017 pick up. At this point, Micheal has been very responsive and I feel confident in my decision to use affordable Movers. However, this confidence will be soon shattered and the reason I find myself writing this review.

June 26, 2017 - I received a phone call from Affordable Movers stating they were coming to pick up my belongings the following day - A FULL DAY EARLIER THAN CONTRACTED! I tried to tell myself this would be to our benefit and picking things up a day early would ensure the timely delivery in Denver. I would like to add the cost of our move doubled when they came to load the truck. I provided a very detailed inventory and was quoted 600 cubic ft. The movers changed this to 1000 cubic ft. We are backed into a corner and have limited options so we paid the new rate. My mother watched as one of the movers dropped a box clearly labeled "fragile" and did not seem to care when she confronted him about it.

June 30, 2017 - My family and I drive across the country with the bare necessities and arrive in Denver July 3, 2017. July 3 is the scheduled delivery date and I have yet to hear anything from Affordable Movers. July 3 is when the nightmare begins! My husband and I have called/emailed Affordable Movers and Michael no less than FIFTY TIMES (no exaggeration - I have the phone and email records)!!! How many responses did we receive? ZERO! NOT ONE PHONE CALL RETURNED OR A RESPONSE TO A SINGLE EMAIL!!!! My attorney has stepped in as my mouthpiece and has not had much luck with correspondence. The most recent update was my goods were out for delivery and the operations department would be calling to schedule delivery. This was supposed to happen by 12 noon eastern time Friday, July 14, 2017 and it did not.

I am writing this review twenty days after Affordable Movers robbed me of everything I know. I do not have any idea when or if my belongings are going to be delivered. I cannot get anyone to answer the phone or return a phone call to give me a status report. This company has given me no choice but to reach out to every media outlet available. This company has stolen my belongings and I will be damned if this happens to someone else. These people are thieves and do not care about the customer. This is the most unprofessional company I have ever done business with. I am begging ALL consumers to avoid Affordable-Movers.net at all costs! Buyer beware!

Original review: July 16, 2017

They showed up and immediately increased the quoted price by $1k. We were told they would disassemble furniture and reassemble at the final location... this was not true. After you pay, this company becomes impossible to contact. Also difficult to setup a drop off time... we were told Thursday night that it would be Friday night. Got a call Saturday that it would be Saturday night or Sunday morning. Got a text Saturday night saying 7 am Sunday. They finally showed up at 8 am Sunday morning. Oh, and they destroyed my entertainment center. Bookcase was badly damaged (it's fairly sturdy... not even sure how they manage to hurt it so badly).

Most of my furniture is badly scuffed or dented. The boxes... it looks like they rolled them down a hill or something. Seriously like out of the realm of what I thought was possible for how a moving company could damage boxes. And of course at least one lost box. And of course I'm trying to file a claim with them, but they are impossible to get on the phone, so no luck yet. Feel taken advantage of. I can't upload all images... but added a few. Every box was damaged - these were boxes that I bought new. So keep that in mind when looking at the images.

Original review: July 8, 2017

Affordable Movers did a fantastic job on my moving day. They showed up right on time and quickly got to work. Every step of the way, they treated my belongings with care. Everything was intact when we arrived at my new home and they promptly unloaded and put everything up right away. Not to mention, the quote they gave me was spot on and well within my budget.

Original review: July 5, 2017

Do not use these scam artists. I made a reservation a month before my move from Memphis to Atlanta. I drove 6 hours from Atlanta to meet the drivers. The day before, I contacted the salesperson, Nick, to ask what time to expect the movers. No response. I called the day of my move, at about 11:00 am, and was told that my move was scheduled for the next day. I told the rep that I had a contract with a move date for that day, obviously someone had gone into the system and changed the date. I told them that they were wrong and that I had to be moved that day because I had to get back to Atlanta for work. I was told someone would be there and call me by 4:00 pm. 4:00 rolls around and still no call. I call back and I got a message that they were closed.

I had been given the driver's number so I called him. He said to was told not to worry about the pick up because it had been reassigned to someone else. I finally find another number and get with dispatch who told me that they would be there the next day. I had to pay someone to meet them since I had to get back for work. Again, at 5:00 pm I receive a call saying they weren't showing up. I asked AGAIN for a refund and I was told that it would be done no later than 7/1. Guess what?? Still no refund. I have called several times. No answer. Left voicemails. No response. Sent emails to my sales rep. No response.

Now I'm on their online chat with someone who is telling me that a check was mailed to me. But he can't tell me when or where (again I've moved). And when I asked, "If there aren't any notes then how do you know for sure that the check was mailed?" He then tells me that I'm being confrontational and he's just trying to "help". I'm confrontational because I'm asking you about my money?? These people are laughable and I will be reposting them to my bank and the BBB for fraud. This is shady at best and criminal at worst.

Original review: July 5, 2017

This was a great experience from beginning to end. I always dread moving, just because you just never can be too sure as to the quality of the movers. Affordable movers eased my worry and did a job well done on my very large move to the big time. I pay the cost to be the boss. The movers were punctual, professional, and above all, effective. The movers were clearly experienced and handled all of my valuables flawlessly. A great crew all around. I had an awesome experience with this guys. Def recommend.

Original review: July 3, 2017

Okay, where to begin. There is no way that these guys have all these positive reviews, do not believe it. Okay, let us start with the nice salesperson (Alex), you see they seem so professional in the office but their movers are a completely different story. Alex failed to mention that customers pay by cubic sq. footage. I told this man that I had a 10X15 storage unit and we discussed in detail everything I had to move, I believe he actually did not include some things on purpose. So how in the world did he expect all my stuff to fit in such a small space? He quoted me 3,450.00 something like that. Mind you, this move took place May 20. However, I made it a point not to forget about my experience and to remember to write this review, because they were the worst movers I had ever used in my life, and the move was very stressful.

To make a long story short, they show up with a truck that is measured for me, to only use a specific amount of space. Nowhere near what I needed and the other space was taped off. Therefore, Jordan, explains to me that I need to come up with 800 more dollars after he has moved most of my stuff into the truck. I tell him "No, just leave it here then" and he says no he can't do that and that he will have to take it and leave it somewhere on their side, so as the customer have no choice but to pay this man. To top it all off, he turns it around and makes it seem like he is doing me a favor, but you can tell this is what they do all the time and it has worked for them.

When I brought it up to his manager/owner (Isaac) or whomever he is, said he does not want to work with customers who do not give him a good review. I said well I told him to unload my stuff but he said he could not and that he would have to take it with them. Therefore, I had no choice but to pay $800.00 more dollars. I will never ever use them again!

Affordable Movers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Affordable Movers & Storage Inc. provides moving and storage services for residential and commercial customers. In business for more than three decades, this family-owned company can meet both local and long-distance moving needs. Each move is carefully planned to ensure a smooth moving day within the mover's budget.

• Team assistance: Affordable Movers provides a team of experts dedicated to ensuring each move goes smoothly, beginning with packing up home or office contents and ending with transitioning into a new location.

• Upfront costs: This company tells each client how much his move will cost upfront, providing all-inclusive, guaranteed rates, rather than giving an estimate that may change later.

• Storage assistance: Affordable Movers helps arrange short-term and long-term storage solutions for residential and business clients.

• Easy communication: Customers can request rates and information about moving through the Affordable Movers website, via email or by calling the company's toll-free number.

• Packing supplies: Affordable Movers provides a full selection of supplies for packing up homes, townhomes, apartments and offices of all sizes.

• Best for: Affordable Movers is best for anyone looking for cost-effective options for moving to, from or within the Westchester New York area, as well as those in need of reliable storage solutions.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs