3.81/5

Compare Movers

Affordable Movers

At Affordable Mover, we know how stressful it can be to relocate. That's why we make moving, whether local or long distance, the easiest it can be! All aspects of your move are handled by us - from packaging, storage and insurance - we've got you covered. We also specialize in corporate relocations and have years of experience helping business find the right location. Call us today to get more information, and sleep a little easier knowing you're working with the best of the best.

Compare Movers

Affordable Movers Reviews

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

They were prompt, pleasant, and did their work in good time, and nothing was damaged. And their charges were reasonable. And the weather was nice. They were friendly but kept at their work. We got started packing back in August but we still weren’t ready.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Do not work with them!!! Their prices are cheaper for a reason!!!! It's taken me this long to write a review because I would get so angry thinking about them that I would get a migraine. Now, 9 months later, I can finally write about this traumatic experience. They said they'd arrive one evening and never showed: no call, no show. The next day they came. They packed my things fine, but then... a month passed before I got my stuff in my new location. I called almost daily to talk to them. Sometimes I couldn't get ahold of them; I'm convinced they screened my calls, because my friend would call on my behalf and they'd answer right away. They gave me *5* different dates for when my things would arrive and never made these dates.

The worst part, though, is when they finally came. They were missing a bunch of my stuff. The boxes looked like they'd been through a war: it was clear they had been stacked with no regard for weight or size. And what's even sadder, they brought someone else's stuff too. When I said it wasn't mine... they threw it in the dumpster!!! I'm talking furniture (a table! a vanity!), boxes of clothes, etc. Of course, if you don't buy extra protection on your move, you can't get any money back for what's lost or damaged.

Here's what was missing in my shipment: Missing: Dirty water container for Bissell carpet cleaner, Shark vacuum, Box of leggings, tights, and headbands, 2 humidifiers, Foam roller, Yoga block and mat, A box of books, Box fan, Wall mirror, Stand for Christmas tree. Approximately 1/3 of my dishes and glasses were broken, as well. I so wish I had paid an extra $1500 for a better mover. I cannot believe they're still in business.

Get expert buying tips about Moving Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

WORST COMPANY EVER. Please, take these reviews seriously. I reiterate everything these other 1 star reviews say. Seriously, take your chance with someone else. Delivery was 1 month late because they decided to store my stuff on the wrong side of the country! Candles were completely melted so it is not temperature controlled even though they tell you it is. They put on a great sales face, but all of it is lies. They held my items hostage when the final movers came in a smaller shuttle (which you have to pay extra for), and was a third party they hired, and when they presented the final price to me, it was different than my quoted price. So I had to wait and call the company, and the guy SCREAMED at me and said he will take all of my stuff if I didn't pay the difference.

I refused, and thankfully the third party people were so kind and gave me my stuff because I had the invoice. Half of my stuff was broken, including several boxes that were smashed in half with huge FRAGILE written on every side. Seriously, save yourself from this horrendous company. They are IMPOSSIBLE to get a hold of and are complete liars once you sign the contract.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

My move was April 24th, 2018. I was told by "Mike" customer service that my furniture and things would be picked up on Monday from Mt Pleasant, SC and driven down to Florida Monday afternoon. Movers would spend the night and deliver my things on Tuesday morning. I was so excited! Yes, moving sucks but due to two back surgeries I had to utilize using small, manageable boxes. They did not show up on Monday. Didn't hear a word. Had to call dispatch a few times to find out where they were. Turns out truck broke down in NC and had to wait to be fixed. All they had to do was tell me. Not even a courtesy call. Truck finally showed up Tuesday afternoon late. Non English speaking driver kept pushing me to hurry up and sign papers. Didn't even get to understand what I was signing for. Plus got charged extra because I had a few more boxes because I couldn't manage big boxes.

I did good to pack all of the boxes myself! Driver stayed at truck on cell phone smoking the whole time. After everything was loaded, THEN they tell me they have other moves and my things would not be delivered to Florida next day as promised. PROMISED!!! They didn't even tell me where my things were going or when they would be there. The nonspeaking English driver could certainly demand a gratuity before driving off for himself and movers. I had planned to tip but was informed that would probably be different delivery people. This was a nightmare. I had to constantly call dispatch to see when I could expect my things. Never a clear answer. "Mike" is nowhere to be found and I was told he was going to be reprimanded for promising next day delivery. I was fed up with these people and no show delivery that week.

I went to police in Florida to see what could be done but said had to contact police in SC since that's where originated. Still no response from company. The following Thursday May 3rd, a driver called to tell me my things would be delivered Saturday midday. I asked where my furniture was and said it had relocated to several warehouses. I know it was in two in NC, and he was picking up from Atlanta! When I finally received my things, my sister who was visiting even helped unload the truck. I was tired and frustrated and had so many complaints. Items bubble wrapped and double bubbled were broken, items still haven't shown up to this day that never made the journey. I ended up sleeping on the floor which caused my back and knee to flare up. I filed 3 claims with them for damage/missing items.

I was overcharged (not expected) by $1,000+ and still to this day get NO response from these people except to "file my claim". Filed three claims thru email as they requested and sent one copy of everything thru the mail to them. Still no response. NO, I would not recommend or ever use these people again. This company is full of SHYSTERS! I even asked the ladies in dispatch how they could even work for such a company, knowing we are hardworking people and wanted to believe and trust them. NO FAITH I'll ever hear from them to correct things as well as adios to things never delivered and no recovery for things that were broken. USE SOMEONE ELSE!!!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2018

I HAVE THE WORST EXPERIENCE WITH THIS AFFORDABLE MOVERS COMPANY. MY MISTAKE I DID NOT SEE ON YELP ABOUT THEM. I wish I would have. At the bottom written by someone else, I had most worst experience with them. This has been the worst moving experience ever!!! They are liars and thieves!!! From the original quote we were given which changed $2,000 when they arrived to pick up our items and then our items sat in a warehouse for over 8 weeks before they even found a driver to ship them.

The driver was extremely rude and confrontational yelling and cussing at US upon delivery. Not to mention tried charging us more again for the delivery and in our contract it stated we would have to drop off locations (ie storage and residential) which the driver disagreed. Then several items were broken but the worst part is ALMOST HALF OF OUR ITEMS ARE MISSING (STOLEN) and they aren’t doing anything about it!!! We are beyond frustrated and upset with this company and would never ever recommend them to anyone!!! I requested several times that I have my baby's stuff and we need it asap. ALL I WANT TO SAY DO NOT GO WITH THIS LIAR COMPANY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Affordable Movers?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

First I do not think the truck driver knew much English yet having sign papers he doesn’t even know what says. Just knows you need to sign. They assure you on phone you won’t need to insure your items because they cover 10,000 but read on 60 cents per lb. That means your flat screen tv is worth about $6 if they lose it which they will and if they damage things which they will. They wrap up but when I received some not all of my items the boxes were crushed. I basically think they steal items that are worth something and try and tell you they are lost. The movers came and said I had way more stuff and would cost me more. I wasn’t moving a lot and when I had concerns the day I moved I had to take risk because my stuff needed to be out.

It didn’t make sense cost more because I basically used same number of boxes on my quote. Movers said salesmen always wrong. That’s reassuring. Then salesman who said, "Contact anytime," could not be found. The person who answers their calls sounds like she’s working from home and never answers "Affordable Movers" just "movers". I lost things - they stole basically because they said found them and they are on their way. Been week. Haven’t seen or heard from them. DON'T USE THEM. YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2018

I have moved many time, this is by far the worst experience I have ever had with a moving company. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. Gouged me on price, missed delivery dates 5 times so far. WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Felt rushed, mislead on delivery length of time. This company is past 21 business days. Say my leather furniture has been wrapped in plastic over month, this company messes with your life. Please don't hire, complete runaround. There are much better companies. Have legal involved. Hope they can convince them to give what's mine. Can't believe in Colorado.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

This has been the worst moving experience ever!!! They are liars and thieves!!! From the original quote we were given which changed $2,000 when they arrived to pick up our items and then our items sat in a warehouse for over 3 weeks before they even found a driver to ship them. The driver was extremely rude and confrontational yelling and cussing at my wife and I upon delivery. Not to mention tried charging us more again for the delivery and in our contract it stated we would have to drop off locations (ie storage and residential) which the driver disagreed. Then several items were broken but the worst part is ALMOST HALF OF OUR ITEMS ARE MISSING (STOLEN) and they aren’t doing anything about it!!! We are beyond frustrated and upset with this company and would never ever recommend them to anyone!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

Booked long distance move under verbal confirmation of 7-9 days shipping time. When they showed up (late), contract said 21 days - had to sign or deposit would be forfeit (still verbally told 7-9 days). It has been 8 weeks since my furniture was picked up and is still in "storage" with no confirmed delivery date. At various points I have been either deliberately mislead or accidentally misinformed as to where my furniture is. I have called dozens of times and left messages with live people and on the voicemail. I have never had a phone call or email returned from this company. When I do speak with someone (usually Danielle or Rochelle with customer service), they tell me that they cannot do anything, but that they will talk to the managers (Juan and Megan) about expediting my shipment and/or compensation on my order.

The two times I spoke with Megan (the dispatch manager), she told me that she cannot do anything about the situation since they have subcontractor drivers and cannot do anything additional about compensation. On 7/20, Megan told me that my belongings were being shipped to a larger facility in Georgia and that my things should be in Washington the next 4-7 business days. Not only did this not happen, but when I reached Megan again on 8/10, she told me that she could not help that "things changed" and that she had been too busy and was unable to let me know that the company had been unable to make that commitment.

The compensation that this company has proposed is 10 dollars per business day after the 21 day period, which is insultingly low considering the 8 weeks with zero results and terrible customer service. I have asked for additional compensation but of course have not heard back. At this point, I am even concerned that I have been scammed and my possessions and payment stolen.

Affordable Movers expert review by Jessica Render

Affordable Movers & Storage Inc. provides moving and storage services for residential and commercial customers. In business for more than three decades, this family-owned company can meet both local and long-distance moving needs. Each move is carefully planned to ensure a smooth moving day within the mover's budget.

• Team assistance: Affordable Movers provides a team of experts dedicated to ensuring each move goes smoothly, beginning with packing up home or office contents and ending with transitioning into a new location.

• Upfront costs: This company tells each client how much his move will cost upfront, providing all-inclusive, guaranteed rates, rather than giving an estimate that may change later.

• Storage assistance: Affordable Movers helps arrange short-term and long-term storage solutions for residential and business clients.

• Easy communication: Customers can request rates and information about moving through the Affordable Movers website, via email or by calling the company's toll-free number.

• Packing supplies: Affordable Movers provides a full selection of supplies for packing up homes, townhomes, apartments and offices of all sizes.

• Best for: Affordable Movers is best for anyone looking for cost-effective options for moving to, from or within the Westchester New York area, as well as those in need of reliable storage solutions.

Profile picture of Jessica Render
      Jessica Render ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs research team, Jessica Render is dedicated to providing well-researched, valuable content designed to help consumers make informed purchase decisions they can feel confident making. She holds a degree in journalism from Oral Roberts University.

Affordable Movers Company Information