About ServiceMaster Restore
Whether it’s a major disaster like a storm or fire, or threats like water damage and mold, having a go-to guide can turn fear and uncertainty into confidence that life can be put back to normal. The most important thing to know is you’re not alone.
Overall Satisfaction Rating
- 5 stars
- 4 stars
- 3 stars
- 2 stars
- 1 stars
A link has directed you to this review. Its location on this page may change next time you visit.
- 4,188,850 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
For more information about reviews on ConsumerAffairs.com please visit our FAQ.
When a pipe under my mobile home broke, I called my insurance co. They told me they only dealt with Service Master, so they sent them to my home, very nice service until the end!! I kept reminding them I was elderly and on a very fixed income and it would take me awhile to raise the 500.00 deductible. (I was lucky to receive a 300.00 stimulus check.)
After 6-8 weeks after the work was done, I had the 500.00. Then approximately 2 weeks or so I had a guy show up at my house who was the adjuster. He said he was there to inspect the work. About 10 mins. he explained that the broken pipe under my home was not covered by my insurance, well great!!! I asked how much more was I going to have to pay? He stated probably 200.00 or so. I told him I barely make it on my ss as it is and I would need time. 2-3 weeks past and they sent me a bill of over 2300.00, WHAT? Then I called service master and told them I could not come up with that kind of money then they stated they would have to put a lien on my home, because they needed all the money within a total of 3 months!! Then they had the nerve to ask me for the 700.00 I had saved up!!! How can they do this to a 75 yr. old lady!!!
Company does not share same mold remediation protocol with independent contractors. Hired for mold remediation only to find out that once the carpets were removed there was more mold and we were falling through the floors. Corporate said they do not do mold testing and that I should have hired an industrial hygienist. Well, news to me because their franchisee never mentioned that! He said it was repaired and never even went inside. The mold remediator said mold does not eat through wood. Corporate closed the complaint and said he did his job. Yet I paid $12,500 for mold remediation and encapsulation of the subfloor only to be falling through it. The job should have never been done in the first place and I intend to take them to court. What has been done and what they said should have been done does not align with the franchisees protocols.
This company has taken complete advantage. I still now have to have the subfloor repaired and it was completely pointless to even get this work done. Yet Jake **, a licensed mold remediator, said everything was good. DO NOT USE SERVICEMASTERS RESTORE!! They do not back their promises, they have terrible business practices and they only want your money!
Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
The customer service girls at Service Masters are "Top Notch"! They are empathetic towards our situation and really went above and beyond to make the repairs happen sooner. Thank you Becky and Cali. We truly appreciate your excellent service!
Critical: Professionalism, Punctuality, Quality, Value. Didn't show up for the first appointment so I couldn't be there when they did show for the rescheduled appointment. Was given a quote over the phone that the hourly rate would fall between 75 hr. to 125 hr. The person I had be there for me didn't know the rate I was quoted which I didn't think he needed to know. Crew shows up and the price had went to 333.33 an hr. Not even close, extremely dishonest. Can you say scammed??
Now for the bad part, the work was extremely shoddy, they just ran through spraying cleaner and smearing the dirt all around. I now have to get a real cleaning crew in to do the work. Bottom line is I was scammed big time. Oh ya and because I questioned the price I was called a son of a ** by the owner Bob. Definitely not the way to run a professional business. Service: Flooring.
Our home burnt 5-11-20. Our insurance company referred Service Masters so we agreed. The branch or warehouse was from St. Charles somewhere. Room to room we went over items to be kept cleaned or not...salvage was another part and not really optional as the other items. We were to be back in home 3/21, so items returned (or not) were delivered (or not) at the middle to end of Feb 2021. Cherished items were not returned. Other cherished items were broken/damaged. My messaging to them and meeting with the person that was here overseeing everyday, went on blank ears. In the end...the question is, "What can we do for you?" Seems a very dumb question to me. Broken items should have been replaced or given a monetary amount for me to replace.
My main problem with this situation, why do they ask? We had a contract to have this company take all of our items, trusting they were being taken well care of, and then they either did not come back at all, or damaged. This was something being paid to do...clean and care for and store our items for all those months. NOTHING WAS DONE, NOTHING WAS REIMBURSED! My reply to the man was that, "I sure don't know what you can do"...older cherished Hummels, older antique vase, antique items that were in my family for over a century...but to do absolutely NOTHING to appease this loss, STINKS. An item I have had for over 30 years that my son made for me, is one of the most hurtful....doing nothing results in my telling EVERYONE AND ANYONE I CAN, to stay away from this company at all costs. American Family has also been advised of this poorly handled situation. Trish
We had water damage in our rental house--flooded the kitchen hallway, living room, and partially into the bedrooms. The Servicemaster team was thorough, efficient, took the time to explain what they were doing and why, and came back several times to follow up. We could not have asked for a better response.
Fast initial contact and review of scope of work. Fast set up of contract... then a delay in getting contractors. First contractor was a no call no show. Second contractor was ok but not great... paintwork and drywall are just ok. Carpet installer was fantastic. But a subcontractor. The job manager brought out carpet samples. I chose what I wanted and a week later he called to tell me he had given me the wrong sample books. The second set of samples had very low-quality carpet. Was not putting that in my home. Was advised that the adjuster had not allowed enough for the carpet I wanted. Called the adjuster, he increased the allowance and advised me to find the carpet I wanted on my own. Found my original choice of carpet direct from the mill. It was less than the original amount allowed which also included pad and delivery cost.
Had to reject the first completion of work due to subpar repairs to drywall and painting. Made payment via cashiers check. Received email saying that they could no longer accept checks. When I contacted the job manager he stated he had not sent that email and his email must have been hacked. He advised I would receive a monthly invoice for the remaining deductible balance. Today less than a week since paying in excess of $15,000.00 I received not an invoice but a threatening letter stating they would file a lien on the property sfter the delivery of said letter. I would advise never to use this company even if recommended by insurance adjuster.
ServiceMaster works very fast but is overpriced. They came out same day for appraisal, took about 10 minutes. Scheduled work the same week. They arrived at 9am and had all mold out and were done by 10am, work time 1 hour. Left air scrubbers for 4 days to completely remove spores pick up time 5 minutes. They do great demo, they do not do drywall so I had to do that myself. Also, charged $1,650 for the 1 hour active time with 2 people, seemed overprice but work fast and hard. I know extra fees probably for the chemicals (Goldmorr) and disposal of 15 sq feet of drywall but $1,650 seems a little high for the little work needed. Was not willing to negotiate price.
ServiceMaster was in my home in May of this year. I had a toilet overflow & I had water damage upstairs & downstairs. My insurance adjuster through American family referred me to them. They did an awful job taking out the trim & they did not take out the nails when they ripped up the flooring. They threw my faulty toilet & a bunch of trim in my tub upstairs. They also have an employee “Demarco” that asked me inappropriate questions that made me very uncomfortable in my own home. I had to have someone in my home or on the phone with someone when he was there. Plus my contractor told me that whoever did this job was lazy & didn’t do it very well.
They lost pieces to my light fixture & screws for my hinges on my linen closet. I had to replace those items. Plus they busted my toilet downstairs. ‘Demarco” said the tank was loose & it leaked but it was fine before he came into my house. I will never refer them or have them in my home ever again! If you would like pics I also have them.
After a minor refrigerator water line leak under my laminate flooring, my Insurance company contacted ServiceMaster on my behalf. This company proceeded to pack up ALL our belongings into boxes without care or respect for the contents. They even chucked my Mother's Urn into the storage bin cracking it! After wasting 6 days packing, they finally opened up the wet flooring area (no water was on the surface, but their dehumidifiers were). After declaring I had mold development, they stated insurance would not cover it. Both bathroom vanities/toilets were removed as were the cabinets under the granite countertops. The counters were propped up on 2x4's without cross bracing causing them to crack. They even removed all my flooring despite my begging them to leave the good flooring alone.
In fact I was summarily dismissed and treated without any respect or humanity at multiple times during nearly every encounter with this company. Finding out the damages they caused and loss of property broken during the pack-out along with the later damage to my oriental carpets and all fabric clothes and furniture by months picked up at their filthy storage facility where my items were stored next to someone's burned house fire property under a filthy plastic tarp was the bad icing on the cake.
Sadly, unless you are financially well-off it is not worth hiring an attorney. As it has been explained, the costs to bring this company to court for negligence or breach of contract would likely outweigh what it would cost to just repair all the damage at your expense. Do NOT hire this company, and ask your Insurance company if they have a proprietary arrangement with certain mitigation companies. If they do, I strongly recommend looking for another insurance company! Three years later and we are still living out of boxes trying to raise the money for repairs.
ServiceMaster Restore author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team
ServiceMaster Restore is one of the largest commercial mold removal companies in the entire world. The company has been in business for more than 50 years, and they specialize in mold removal from residential and commercial buildings.
Accessibility: The company has more than 4,500 franchises across the world, so it’s easy to find a ServiceMaster Restore when a customer needs one.
Range of services: ServiceMaster Restore is a large commercial company, so they offer one of the widest range of services for any mold removal business. In addition to mold removal, ServiceMaster Restore takes care of tasks such as pest control, lawn care and more.
Speed: ServiceMaster Restore employs a large number of people, so their service is known for being speedy.
Service: There are so many franchises across the world, so it’s hard to predict the quality of service a client can expect.
Cost: ServiceMaster Restore is a large corporation with a known reputation, so their services are often cost-prohibitive for the regular consumer.
ServiceMaster Restore questions and answers
- What problem is ServiceMaster Restore trying to solve?
- We restore homes and businesses that incur damage due to water, fire, smoke, mold or other sources.
- What sets ServiceMaster Restore apart from the competition?
- ServiceMaster Restore professionals work with homeowners, insurance professionals and business principals to navigate through the uncertainty following water or fire damage. Our nationwide network allows ServiceMaster Restore to offer the scale of a national company, with the service of a locally owned business. We have agreements with some of the largest property insurers in the United States and can help homeowners navigate through the insurance claims process. Our claims management department provides industry leading claims management to help make the process as smooth as possible for both the homeowner and insurance partner.
With 60 years of cleaning and restoration experience, ServiceMaster Restore has helped define the restoration industry through active participation within industry associations. We have developed proven processes for guiding homeowners through damage mitigation and restoration. This is evident through our customer satisfaction score which is one of the highest in the industry.
- How does ServiceMaster Restore measure success?
- We consistently maintain industry leading NPS (Net Promoter Score) ratings reflecting our unrivaled service. In addition, we monitor and measure specific requirements agreed upon with insurance carriers for service delivery referred to as service level agreements (SLAs). These SLAs are monitored in real-time to determine any adjustments and/or corrections needed to regularly deliver successful results.
- What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
- One of the common misconceptions of the industry is simply a lack of awareness regarding the industry at all. Many people are completely unaware the industry exists unless they have experienced a loss which forced them to utilize the service. Another misconception of the industry is that all general contractors are specifically qualified in disaster recovery services, or that disaster recovery does not require professional help. There are industry organizations, in which we are both active contributors and participants, that have defined best practices and determined the recommended way to mitigate damage. The guidelines help establish and maintain industry training requirements. Another challenge of our industry is related to insurance. Because homeowners can be confused by insurance coverage, deductibles and the claims process in general, we have dedicated ourselves to helping homeowners through the claim and restoration process by providing the guidance they need.
- How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
- One of the biggest changes in the industry has been the adoption of mitigation programs by the insurance companies. More and more, insurance companies are creating formal programs to handle mitigation claims. Consumer behavior and involvement in the process has also changed. Not only are homeowners using technology during the initial research phase of the process, but they also expect a high level technology to be used throughout the process. This can include mobile notifications, online scheduling, online management of the claim process, and real-time data delivery. In the past, these services were typically provided by the insurance agent. However, now consumers look to the service provider for the solution.
- What is something you wish every consumer knew about ServiceMaster Restore?
- ServiceMaster Restore franchise owners, technicians and employees sincerely care about our customers. We understand the situation is difficult and that each home and customer is unique and needs to be handled with care. We take great pride in being able to help homeowners navigate through the process by providing the guidance and expertise they are looking for.
- Has ServiceMaster Restore received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
- Our NPS score is consistently one of the highest in the industry.
- How has ServiceMaster Restore grown or evolved?
- ServiceMaster Restore is part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands. In the past 12 months, our Family of Brands has served 5 million residential and commercial customers, visiting more than 75,000 homes per day. As the industry changes and our customers’ needs evolve, we must stay at the forefront of technology. We’re always improving our products and processes to be an industry leader for cleaning and restoration standards.
ServiceMaster Restore Company Information
- Company Name:
- ServiceMaster Restore
- Year Founded:
- 3839 Forest Hill-Irene Rd.
- Postal Code:
- United States
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.