Call toll free
3.16/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Whether it’s a major disaster like a storm or fire, or threats like water damage and mold, having a go-to guide can turn fear and uncertainty into confidence that life can be put back to normal. The most important thing to know is you’re not alone.

ServiceMaster Restore® understands that the hours and days immediately after a disaster can be a confusing and anxious time. That’s why we’re ready to help answer your questions, share options that make sense for you and work with you every step of the way.

With over 60 years experience in the cleaning and restoration industry, our teams work by your side from addressing the problem, to identifying what needs to be done, to getting you to restoration. We have expertise and extensive know-how to help un-do the damage to your home and belongings. We’re a national network that’s also your neighbor, delivering vast resources with a personal touch based on your particular needs.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

ServiceMaster Restore Reviews

View 3 featured reviews
Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I had a weather-related damage to my roof, which resulted in the water coming through the roof to my kitchen ceiling and damaging the ceiling. It was covered by homeowner's insurance. They gave me two companies, so I contacted both and ServiceMaster had the quickest response. ServiceMaster was great. They were very patient because this was my first homeowner's claim, and it just really wasn't clear on what they needed. I just know the insurance company said I had to mitigate my damages, but ServiceMaster was helpful in walking me through the process and understanding the options in terms of if I have to pay for it beforehand or that may not have to. They just wanted me to know both circumstances that were possible, which was helpful because at least that prepared me if it wasn't covered for with insurance right away. And then, they gave me an estimate of what it might be.

The technicians were great. There were two and they both were very professional, and they indulged my questions. They have very good customer service and they were genuinely trying to be helpful and trying to get me in a comfortable place with all that they had to do, with the leaving of the machine and helping me to understand because it was a really big drying machine. Then they took care to tell me they couldn't do it the way they would usually do it because I had insulation that was the fluffy kind, so they didn't want it all over the place. It was one thing that they did not do that would allow the insulation to not blow all over the place, so I appreciated that because my concern was how much insulation I would be eating while waiting for this process to finish.

They did a great job. The roofing guy put up a small tarp. He called me back and let me know what he did, 'cause he did it while I was at home. They sealed up the opening in the kitchen with plastic so that nothing else would come through and cold air would be minimized with entering the home. I haven't had anything and what they've done has sustained, so that was great.

They were very patient and that's always good in these situations because I have damage to my property. It's a process that I have to go through to some degree and the inconvenience that I have to go through because I have to take off work to let people in. But they were accommodating to my schedule. It's the best they could be, so that was helpful.

ServiceMaster Restore response

We appreciate the time you spent to share your feedback! We’re glad to hear we were able to provide the service you needed.

Get expert buying tips about Mold Removal and Remediation Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I had an emergency. My water heater exploded and flooded my living room. It was awful. My insurance agent sent ServiceMaster out. After I talked with the insurance agent, ServiceMaster contacted me right away to let me know when they were gonna come and if it was okay if they came at 7:00 because they were booked. I was just very happy that they were gonna come on the same day. Then they got there. I was extremely stressed out. But they were wonderful and they were even really patient with me and would repeat what they were saying, making sure I understood, which I really appreciate.

I must’ve been so annoying for them but they never made me feel that way. They were just so great and really thoughtful. I have a dog and they were really considerate about that, which is nice ‘cause just trying to arrange for all these people coming inside of my house is a lot. They came back with the insurance person and just were on top of it with getting everything done. Both Diego and Hector were the two that I worked with the most from there and they were fantastic.

They had to check for asbestos before they could do anything, which sucked because I was waiting for them to be able to cut open the wall. But that was standard protocol based on how old the place was. Then they put the dehumidifiers up and just ride it out at an extremely hot temperature. That was unbearable, so I pretty much was living in my bedroom for that week. They had to cut open the wall, rip out the carpet, take off the baseboards, and it just had to dry out. I needed to not be in my area because of how hot it was. After they were finished, it was excellent. If you’re going through such a disaster like that, that’s who you want to take care of you. I can’t believe that I actually filled them with gratitude after going through such a horrible situation. They were just great.

ServiceMaster Restore response

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Our kitchen sink broke under the house and we had a raised foundation. The water was pouring out from the kitchen sink. The reason we noticed anything at all ever, was because there was a smell coming in the kitchen. We didn't know where it was coming from. So, we had a plumber come out. He went down, saw the broken pipes, saw the mold, and that was when I called ServiceMaster. I had ServiceMaster come out and pick out the dirt that was growing mold. I contacted them directly because I knew of them from the flood that I had at my house in November. The reps that came out then were perfect. They did the work and were communicative.

This time, they came out, the guy got under there and he said it was not mold. It was calcium coming from under the ground and they didn't have to do anything. I asked where was the smell coming from? He just ignored me and he kept saying that it was calcium and that they don't remove calcium. I told him that it was mold and the plumber told me that it was fungus. He gave me the name of the plumber that would come out and fix the pipes without having the dirt removed.

I called the plumber. The plumber came out and went under there and was saying there were molds growing everywhere and we had to have it removed. So, I called ServiceMaster back, and I said they needed to come out and take it out. So, the guy came out again. He came out, he called my husband instead of calling me and said it was not mold, it was calcium. And they don't remove calcium.

He was like, "Mold doesn't grow on dirt." I told him, "it doesn't, but it grows on food." Every time I used the kitchen sink and did dishes and put food down the garbage disposal, it came out of the pipe. He said, "Oh, this is a sewer." I said yes. He said he'd call the office and would come back out there tomorrow to remove the dirt. So, three days later, he came out and removed the dirt. He did it in one day. Everything's fine since then, but that was a little out of contact. This was the third time using ServiceMaster and this was the only time I had that kind of problem. But they've always been really good.

ServiceMaster Restore response

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

We were away for about four and a half months, and we had water damage in the house. We had a water dispenser on the kitchen sink for drinking water and the filter for the unit was under the cabinet. Somehow, it came disengaged on the mounting bracket, and it fell. When it did, the hose disengaged, so we had water running out of its tubing. We had somebody check the house, but it might’ve run for up to a week. It ran all through the kitchen, under the wall, and into the dining room. More than half of the cabinets had to come out because it got into the drywall behind the cabinets. All those out had to be ripped out. It destroyed the countertops and we had to have all the drywall replaced in those areas as well as about two-thirds of the dining room. The dining room wood floor was destroyed. It had to be replaced and taken out.

I called the insurance company immediately when the person that was checking on our house for us called me, and within three hours, they had ServiceMaster Restore at the house. I wasn’t here but I was communicating with them over the phone and by text and email. Our main contact was Dan and he was professional, extremely responsive, very cooperative, and he never let us down. All the people that came to the house were very helpful. They were polite and they put booties on to minimize any mess in the house. They kept us informed all the way.

We had quite an experience trying to get the floor to dry because it was tiled and I didn’t know if I could get the replacement tiles if we rip them out to match. I didn’t want to rip them out because they went from the kitchen into the hallway, into the laundry room, and the bathroom. It was like we were gonna have to rip off all these to get new tiles to match and they worked really hard to dry the subfloor underneath as well as from the top, on the tiles to dehumidifiers, heaters, and blowers. They worked for a month trying to get it dried. They could’ve at any point said, “Forget it. We’ve done overdue, and you're gonna have to have the tiles taken out.” But Dan was insistent that he could get it dried out, and they did get it done to acceptable levels and I really appreciated that. They didn’t just leave me hanging.

I should’ve called Dan's boss and given him an endorsement because he was a great guy to deal with. We had to pack up everything in the dining room and moved everything out. There were also a couple of women who came and they packed everything really neatly. Then they came back and unpacked everything and put it all back perfectly. It was a very positive experience. Not everything with other people has gone quite as smoothly but ServiceMaster was really good.

ServiceMaster Restore response

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

ServiceMaster Restore was awesome. I had to get the house tarped because I lost a lot of the roof. So, I contacted ServiceMaster on a Monday night. A gentleman called me on Tuesday afternoon and said I needed some paperwork signed. So, I met him on Wednesday, and on Thursday, my roof was tarped. That was quick.

The representatives at ServiceMaster were right on the money, as far as, they were always on time for the appointments. When I met them about removing all the damaged sheetrock, I told them that I had to find somebody to move all my stuff out. And they told me they would take care of that too. So, they picked up all my household goods and they're storing them for me. It cost money, but they were right there and they did it when they said they were gonna do it. So, now, I'm just waiting for my house to get fixed.

We're looking at relocating. When we find a permanent place to take off our shoes, we'll call ServiceMaster and have them deliver our household stuff.The only thing that was kind of questionable was the packing company they hired to pick up our stuff. They weren't the most professional group in the world. I'm a retired military, and I've been through a lot of moves. And these guys were like just guys they hired off the street. They came in. They did a marginal job as far as packing up our goods. They didn't bring enough packing materials to wrap dishes and stuff. I provided them with Christmas wrap, so they could wrap up dishes and pots and pans. Also, they missed a lot. I ended up hauling two pickup truckloads of stuff to our little place we're renting because of the stuff they missed. Still, I would recommend ServiceMaster because of the fact that they were there when they said they were gonna be, and they did provide the service.

ServiceMaster Restore response

How do I know I can trust these reviews about ServiceMaster Restore?

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Benjamin and Joseph were excellent! As a single mother these gentlemen went out of their way to make the mold remediation as quick and painless as possible. They were not only quick and efficient, but explained the process every step of the way. They showed up early, and called me each and every day. The mold remediation took place over the Thanksgiving holiday, so their professionalism truly helped get me through an extremely hectic time. I would recommend this company over any other as they treated me like a person and not a number. I'd give more stars if I could!

ServiceMaster Restore response

We’re delighted to read your feedback about ServiceMaster Restore Amanda! Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the Perfect service for each customer!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2019

My house burnt in June of 2018. It was a great loss. ServiceMaster was assigned to the job starting with the packing and removal of both damaged and undamaged items. They did such a wonderful job. They not only rebuilt to a more valuable but a much more beautiful home. I lost my mother in the fire. Her keepsakes were treated like their own. Which meant everything. Some things could not be replaced. But they made sure that items that could be saved were cleaned and repaired to the highest quality. If anything ever happened to me again they would be my choice in restoration services. They go above and beyond what they are required to do.

ServiceMaster Restore response

We’re delighted to read your feedback about ServiceMaster Restore. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. We aim to provide the Perfect service for each customer!

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 18, 2019

Recently, I called this business after a 6 inch rain over 3 hours that caused water into our basement in Waterford, Ct. The person I spoke with, who answers their after hours calls was very professional. She said we were the first call after the heavy rain. She said she would contact the crew and they would be at our house immediately after they picked up the equipment. That was about 5:30 AM, but the two man crew didn't show up until 8:45!! More than 3 hours after my call. Their business is about 10-15 mins from our house.

The two man crew arrived with a single water extractor connected to the truck so they only had to move the hose and nozzle to the basement. They were there for a total of 4 hours and left one dehumidifier at the house after we declined the multiple fans for an estimated cost of $1000 a day. They returned 24 hours after they left to retrieve the dehumidifier.

A few days later we received a bill via email that was not itemized for a total over $2300!!! Which works out to more than $500 per hour! When I called up and asked why we didn't receive an itemized bill I was told they only do that for insurance claims. I asked the manager why he would think a homeowner paying out of pocket would be any less interested in how they were being charged than an insurance company.

Good thing I did ask for an itemized bill. The itemized bill arrived a few days later and listed around $500 for application of a "plant based anti fungal" agent to the floor. The only problem was THEY NEVER APPLIED this product. In addition, we were charged for work on a room they never touched. They also took the widest and longest dimensions of every room they did work on without taking into consideration builtins like bookcases and a long bar, for example, that took up considerable square footage that were never treated. Another example, they took the widest and longest dimensions of a bathroom without deducting the space occupied by the shower or the vanity which occupied more than half the square footage of that room.

They did similar miscalculations on the other rooms as well. They also charged us for 2 hours of setup and take down. Keep in mind that covers taking a hose, (not the motor, just the hose) back and forth from the basement and bringing down and removing a dehumidifier. Two hours for those tasks which accounts for half the total time they were there!!!

I contacted the owner after writing an email to the local manager and requested the owner call me, which he did. Instead of apologizing for the charging us for an application that was never done, he tried to defend the error by saying. "99 percent of customers would have had that done". As far as the miscalculations and the room that was never done, he defended those errors by saying the crew "was new". I also pointed out they bumped the cost of the 24 hour rental for their dehumidifier about $30. When I pointed that out to the owner, he said the crew didn't know the cost of the dehumidifier. I agreed and said an employee from the crew, Steve, told us he didn't know and called the home office and then quoted $71 for 24 hours. The bill showed a rental fee for over $100!

We subsequently received a revised bill that was about $1000 less that reflected a deduction for the room that wasn't treated, a correction on the dehumidifier rental rate and a deduction for the anti-fungal agent that was never applied. What wasn't included was an apology for their multiple mistakes. Regardless, although we felt that was still outrageous, we didn't have a choice and paid the bill immediately. But that wasn't the end.

A few days later another bill arrived by regular mail, billing us for the difference between the original bill and the revised bill!!! Talk about the gang that couldn't shoot straight. I sent another email to the owner and demanded a receipt indicating the bill had been paid in full which we got a few days later, again, absent any apology for their ongoing multiple mistakes. If I hadn't demanded an itemized bill we would have paid even more than the outrageous charges we ended up paying in the end. Clearly they were more interested in taking advantage of people when they are at their most vulnerable times.

We have since talked with many others about their experiences with similar situations and they were as shocked as we were when I told them the amount we were charged before and after the revised bill. We also contacted another professional restoration business and gave them the square footage and asked for an estimate and was told, about $700 maximum! This business apparently doesn't have a conscience either and don't even know the words, "Sorry. we apologize for the many mistakes we made." They don't recognize how far the words, "I am sorry" or "we made a mistake" could go with their (former) customers.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Nov. 15, 2019

They hire outside people to paint, tile, etc. We decided to upgrade our bathroom tile at our expense and hired a reputable tile person. When they taped off the wall to protect the new paint job all the paint came off because they painted over dust and dirt instead of prepping the walls first. I could write at length about their shoddy work. The deal breaker is the leather living room set they threw away that I specifically asked them not to more than once because of matching table's wood. They claimed they were streaked and I wanted to see them and see if the streaks could be fixed or repaired. They damaged pieces of a nice heavy bedroom set taking it out of our home for "cleaning".

They hire young cheap labor that is clueless. It's overwhelming to have smoke/fire damage. I think that they make bad decisions regarding cleaning that are contradictory. Hire your own cleaners for clothing, floor/carpet replacement, painting, etc. This company is all about a big money grab. They descended on our home and grabbed up so much of our stuff most of which was not necessary. We were still in disbelief about what was going on and they are all too happy to take advantage of that. Beware they are awful and disrespectful of your vulnerability.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

Basement flooded due to a leak in the water line to the humidifier of the furnace. Called Service Master to help remediate the flood and fixed the leak. They sent in what they called "professional" plumber to fix the leak. A week later basement flooded again due to the same leak and this time the flood is worst than last as more water leaked as the water hose came loose. Service Master took all the wet electronics to have them check out to ensure they are not water damage.

2 months later we are still waiting for our electronics and fix to our baseboard and carpet is still not done. We, the homeowner has been constantly calling them to get an update and every time it is a disappointment. They say they will come at certain time but they don't show up and don't call to let us know they are not coming. We have to take time off from work to wait for them to show up. They do not follow up on the job and we do not have a pleasant experience with this company. This is the Fort McMurray Service Master.

ServiceMaster Restore expert review by ConsumerAffairs

ServiceMaster Restore is one of the largest commercial mold removal companies in the entire world. The company has been in business for more than 50 years, and they specialize in mold removal from residential and commercial buildings.

• Accessibility: The company has more than 4,500 franchises across the world, so it’s easy to find a ServiceMaster Restore when a customer needs one.

• Range of services: ServiceMaster Restore is a large commercial company, so they offer one of the widest range of services for any mold removal business. In addition to mold removal, ServiceMaster Restore takes care of tasks such as pest control, lawn care and more.

• Speed: ServiceMaster Restore employs a large number of people, so their service is known for being speedy.

• Service: There are so many franchises across the world, so it’s hard to predict the quality of service a client can expect.

• Cost: ServiceMaster Restore is a large corporation with a known reputation, so their services are often cost-prohibitive for the regular consumer.

• Best for: Home owners, property owners and insurance professionals.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs
ConsumerAffairs Research Team

ServiceMaster Restore questions and answers

What problem is ServiceMaster Restore trying to solve?
We restore homes and businesses that incur damage due to water, fire, smoke, mold or other sources.
What sets ServiceMaster Restore apart from the competition?
ServiceMaster Restore professionals work with homeowners, insurance professionals and business principals to navigate through the uncertainty following water or fire damage. Our nationwide network allows ServiceMaster Restore to offer the scale of a national company, with the service of a locally owned business. We have agreements with some of the largest property insurers in the United States and can help homeowners navigate through the insurance claims process. Our claims management department provides industry leading claims management to help make the process as smooth as possible for both the homeowner and insurance partner.

With 60 years of cleaning and restoration experience, ServiceMaster Restore has helped define the restoration industry through active participation within industry associations. We have developed proven processes for guiding homeowners through damage mitigation and restoration. This is evident through our customer satisfaction score which is one of the highest in the industry.
How does ServiceMaster Restore measure success?
We consistently maintain industry leading NPS (Net Promoter Score) ratings reflecting our unrivaled service. In addition, we monitor and measure specific requirements agreed upon with insurance carriers for service delivery referred to as service level agreements (SLAs). These SLAs are monitored in real-time to determine any adjustments and/or corrections needed to regularly deliver successful results.
What’s the most common misconception consumers have about your industry?
One of the common misconceptions of the industry is simply a lack of awareness regarding the industry at all. Many people are completely unaware the industry exists unless they have experienced a loss which forced them to utilize the service. Another misconception of the industry is that all general contractors are specifically qualified in disaster recovery services, or that disaster recovery does not require professional help. There are industry organizations, in which we are both active contributors and participants, that have defined best practices and determined the recommended way to mitigate damage. The guidelines help establish and maintain industry training requirements. Another challenge of our industry is related to insurance. Because homeowners can be confused by insurance coverage, deductibles and the claims process in general, we have dedicated ourselves to helping homeowners through the claim and restoration process by providing the guidance they need.
How has your industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?
One of the biggest changes in the industry has been the adoption of mitigation programs by the insurance companies. More and more, insurance companies are creating formal programs to handle mitigation claims. Consumer behavior and involvement in the process has also changed. Not only are homeowners using technology during the initial research phase of the process, but they also expect a high level technology to be used throughout the process. This can include mobile notifications, online scheduling, online management of the claim process, and real-time data delivery. In the past, these services were typically provided by the insurance agent. However, now consumers look to the service provider for the solution.
What is something you wish every consumer knew about ServiceMaster Restore?
ServiceMaster Restore franchise owners, technicians and employees sincerely care about our customers. We understand the situation is difficult and that each home and customer is unique and needs to be handled with care. We take great pride in being able to help homeowners navigate through the process by providing the guidance and expertise they are looking for.
Has ServiceMaster Restore received any awards or recognition your customers would like to know about?
Our NPS score is consistently one of the highest in the industry.
How has ServiceMaster Restore grown or evolved?
ServiceMaster Restore is part of the ServiceMaster Family of Brands. In the past 12 months, our Family of Brands has served 5 million residential and commercial customers, visiting more than 75,000 homes per day. As the industry changes and our customers’ needs evolve, we must stay at the forefront of technology. We’re always improving our products and processes to be an industry leader for cleaning and restoration standards.

ServiceMaster Restore Company Information

1929
3839 Forest Hill-Irene Rd.
Memphis