Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.52/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

John Robert Powers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Robert Powers?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about John Robert Powers?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2019

My name is Makayla, I am 21 years old, and I am from Michigan. One day in October of 2018 I was in my car when I heard an ad on the radio for auditions for John Robert Powers Acting and Modeling. I called the number that was provided and spoke with someone about scheduling an audition. Three days later, my mother and I drove an hour to the hotel where the auditions were being held. The auditions for my group were supposed to start at 12:30 and I will admit they didn't start until a little after 1--but I am patient and wasn't bothered by it (just nervous I had to wait a little bit longer).

The initial audition went great (I even had the chance to meet and talk with the CEO of the Chicago and NYC headquarters, Colleen!!!) and I was told that I would get a phone call between 6p-11p that night. When I got a phone call, they would tell me if they were interested in me coming back the next day for a callback or not. Well, around 10:30 that night I received a call from the woman I auditioned with and she told me she was thrilled to be able to tell me that they were interested in me. I went back in the next day for the callback and that went great as well--they wanted to enroll me in their acting class! So what did I do? Exactly what you're doing right now--looking up reviews. The reviews I saw a year ago were less than flattering and I was concerned that I may have just convinced my parents to invest in a scam rather than my future as an actress.

The following weekend I showed up to the first rehearsal (again, an hour away from home) at a different hotel than the hotel I auditioned at. After 5 months of rehearsals with a very talented coach (Chuck) I was ready for the February 2019 showcase in Chicago. I felt completely prepared (and completely terrified) for my performance in front of the 3 agents and 1 IPOP representative. I was really bummed that none of the agents wanted much to do with me once they found out that I was 21 (most of them were looking for 16 and younger (I look really young)).

However, the IPOP representative, Cheryl, was VERY pleased with my performance. She handed out flyers to quite a few people and told them that they would receive a call on whether or not she was interested in bringing them to IPOP (International Presentation of Performers) in Los Angeles in July. I was one of about 10 people she told to have a seat and she'd be around to talk to momentarily. So, I sat down thinking "well, this is either REALLY GOOD or REALLY BAD," hoping for the first option. After everyone else had cleared out she told those of us that remained in our seats that she scored us a 9/10 on our performances while also stating that she doesn't give ANYONE a 10 because EVERYONE has room for improvement. She told us that we didn't need to wait by the phone in anticipation-- SHE WANTED TO BRING US TO LA IN JULY!

The next morning we reported to the JRP office in Chicago where she gave us all of the information we needed and gave us time to ask any questions that we had. I convinced my parents to, once again, make an investment in my future as an actress and began the preparation for my trip to LA. In a way, July came SO quickly, while also feeling like it was a million years away. Along the way, Cheryl was so incredible about answering all of my questions and making sure that I was fully prepared to rock IPOP.

One early morning in July 2019 my mother and I flew across the country to Los Angeles for a competition that would truly change my life, though I didn't know it at the time. At IPOP there were groups from ALL OVER THE WORLD that included groups of EXCEPTIONAL singers, dancers, actors, and models (some, participating in all four categories). I had the chance to compete in a Soap Opera competition (yeah, I'm pretty dramatic). Out of all the girls that participated that were 18 years of age or older, two girls from JRP were runner ups and I was declared the WINNER. Me. A girl from a small town in Michigan. The winner of an acting competition open to girls 18+ from all over the world. I'm still in shock months later.

The next day, I performed a hallmark commercial and a dramatic monologue in front of many talent agents, managers, and casting directors. Our final day in LA we were able to meet with all of the agents and managers that gave us callbacks and out of all of the groups that attended IPOP, JRP was the only group where EVERY SINGLE PERSON RECEIVED AT LEAST ONE CALLBACK. Personally, I received close to a dozen callbacks.

Upon returning back home to Michigan, I was diligent about emailing back and forth with the agents and managers that were interested in signing me. Within a week I had scheduled and NAILED an interview with Manikin Talent and Modeling Agency based in Jacksonville, Florida and within 48 hours of the interview I had signed official paperwork stating that I was a represented talent by their agency. Every week I receive many emails from them with different jobs that I qualify for and with my crazy work schedule I was finally able to submit myself to my first casting yesterday (November 4, 2019). It's not much, but it's a start and I'm certainly further toward my dream than I was at this time last year. And now I am able to make conscious and SMART decisions about my acting career like moving to Atlanta in 2020 to build my acting resume before moving to LA in 2021 to really get things going!

There is a price when it comes to JRP's classes and the trip that I took to LA (personally my family has paid approximately $7000), but I fully believe that if acting, modeling, singing, or dancing is something that you are interested in, you should give it a try. If I would have believed some of the nasty things that I read about JRP I wouldn't have made it this far and I would still be stuck at a job that isn't my passion with no end in sight. I believe that a lot of the people who write these terrible reviews about JRP are people that didn't put in all of the effort to make it worth the money that they were paying and inevitably didn't get all of the opportunities that I worked my ** off for. You'll never know unless you try...

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

If you want the courage to go after your dreams, then enroll with JRP. They'll gladly equip you with the skills you need to become a better version of yourself. They can help you, whether you're into acting, singing, modeling or you want to improve your personality. Trust me — they have helped me become the person that I am today.

Get buying tips about Modeling and Talent Agencies delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: Sept. 30, 2019

I was a single mom who was struggling with the bills, but my son really wanted to sing. I cannot afford the lessons, but we saw one ad for JRP, and I said, okay, let's try this one. It worked out even better than I imagined. They offered me a flexible payment plan for something I can afford, and now my son is living his dream.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2019

This is a great academy for those who want to improve themselves. I enrolled my son here because he was getting bullied for being too shy, and I wanted him to become more confident and assertive. Well, JRP helped him get over that pretty quickly. The best part of the experience is he made friends with a lot of people in the program. Now he is very happy and active.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

One of the good things about JRP is how transparent they are. My coach says that we have to constantly improve ourselves if we want to be good at what we do, and that's what they did to us. Before JRP I was really shy, and I couldn’t perform well, but now, I can wow any crowd with my energy. If acting doesn’t work out for me, then I Now have the tools to be anything I want to be, even a public speaker!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

My Director Jessica ** was amazing and really helped me learn more about the industry and feel confident for showcase. I feel so much more prepared for the industry than before I took these classes, thank you!

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I told myself that it’s too late for me to be a model, but then I decided to take the risk and to try with John Robert Powers. They prepared me for it and taught me everything I needed to know to be a successful model.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

You may not believe it, but I was once a very timid woman who could barely speak in front of an audience. Today, I am a powerful speaker who can rouse crowds. I got this confidence from John Robert Powers and their endless coaching — it’s worth it to invest in yourself.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2019

Working with John Robert Powers has completely transformed our lives. My family and I support my son’s dream of becoming a model, so when this opportunity with JRP came, we took it. Now he’s out performing, and we are all the more thankful for it. He is living his dream, and we are very proud of him.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

I thought modeling meant just walking down a runway, but I was mistaken. I quickly realized how out of my league I was on my first rehearsal with JRP. I didn’t even know the basics! But they worked with me and never stopped believing that I could do it. Thanks to my JRP family for helping me become better!

John Robert Powers author review by ConsumerAffairs

John Robert Powers started his agency in New York City in 1923. Considered to be the first modeling agency, John Robert Powers both educates and helps aspiring and working models book jobs.

• Reputable past clients: Many reputable and well-known clients have worked with John Robert Powers, including Jackie Kennedy, Betty Ford, Princess Grace and Raquel Welch.

• Educational blog: The company has an educational blog full of helpful content about building a modeling career.

• Diverse educational offerings: John Robert Powers offers a wide range of classes for people who want to be models, including social skills and acting techniques.

• Legacy: The company has been in business for more than 90 years, so it has a legacy of being successful at training models.

• Naturalness philosophy: The company has a philosophy of natural beauty, and it encourages clients to embrace their natural selves, rather than cover up with makeup.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team