Time Life Inc.

Compare Publications

Research top Publications recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a set of CD's advertised on TV in September as a Christmas Gift - no mention of a return policy when I placed the order. My friend already has most if not all of the CD's in the collection when he opened it on Christmas. I tried to return the item unopened and unused however Time Life refuses citing their 30-day return policy. This is unacceptable and I will never purchase anything from them again. I hope this will help other consumers when dealing with this company.

Time life pop memories of the 60's collection - After spending over $248.51 on a set of 9 sets of CDs I was very upset to find that 2 whole sets of CDs, 4 in total, had all the wrong songs on them. Now I will have to contact the company to see if I have to return all the CDs or just the two sets that are incorrect..I will also have to pay for the return shipping and hope that I get a credit from them. I expected better quality control from such a large company.

My son is a musician, and since he was a teenager in the 1970s, I thought he might like the "Pop Go the 70s" 10 CD set from Time Life Star Vista. I ordered the set and in addition, I ordered "The Legends Rock On". They arrived in late October and I gave them to my son on November 9th. He thanked me. But I found out that he had almost everything on other CDs, so he didn't want these. He didn't even unseal anything, he put everything back in the box and used the return label provided, and took them to the Post Office the very next day. My son chose to not insure the package as he thought we were dealing with honest people and he said to me, "Mom, when have you ever not received a package that came through the U.S. Mail?", and I couldn't think of a single time!

About 10 days later, I phoned Star Vista and was told that they HAD received the package, but it would be about 2 more weeks until a credit was issued. I was okay with that, but I contacted them about 3 weeks later, and they claimed that they NEVER RECEIVED the package!!! I wish that I had read all the reviews about this crooked bunch BEFORE dealing with them! They said I would have to have a tracking number to get my $176.96 back. (They knew I didn't have one as it was not insured.) The merchandise was in perfect condition, so they could just put it back into their inventory and make double money on it!!! I consider these people thieves! I am out a great deal of money and Star Vista should be ashamed of the way they do business!!!

It was order #**, Account #**, and I returned these items: 4200196002 "Legends Rock On", $16.99; 447630709 "Pop Go the 70s" 10 CD set, $149.95; Free Shipping; Tax $10.02; Total $176.96. They shipped from Star Vista on Oct. 15, 2014. Returned on November 10th, 2014 via U.S. Mail Cost, $4.22.

For the 4th time my father has ordered something from a TV Sales ad and somehow "Super Saver", "Family Savings Plan", and misc names the company goes by, has gotten his credit card and began charging for a service he did not agree to. I've told him numerous times not to buy anything off the TV, but he forgets. I've cancelled his cards each time and this time tracked down the company charging his card. They stated, "Tell him to stop buying ANYTHING from a TV ad". They are SCAMMERS and Time Life allows them to take advantage of their customers (or they own both companies).

I originally ordered the Ed Sullivan DVD set. I then discovered that they had billed me for an additional DVD set that I did not order. Upon receipt of the order, I returned the whole order and paid for the shipping myself so there would be a tracking number. I originally disputed the charge with Discover. When requesting a refund I was told they could not refund me as long as Discover had a temporary credit applied to my account. I was advised by customer service that once Discover took the temporary credit off of my card I needed to fax a copy of that letter to them for a refund. I then faxed the letter to them and waited a couple days to call them and when I did I was told that they had never received the page from Discover. So I faxed it once again and got a verification that they had received all of the pages that I had faxed to them. I waited a week and did not receive a refund so I called them again and they again said they did not receive the page from Discover. I feel I am getting the run around from a company that I thought was reputable because of their name but I guess they just bought the name and are gouging all their customers now.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Time Life Inc.?

I placed a order with Time Life for the Dean Martin Celebrity Roast complete DVD collectors set. The total amount would have been over 200. They offered payment plans so I thought, great I will order. I used a Mastercard debit card to order which was processed and the money was deducted for the first payment. When I went to check on the order by calling, I was informed the order was cancelled because they could not accept payment plans for a prepaid debit card which is not the case with my card. It is government issued and the money is there every month without a issue as I am on permanent disability. To my knowledge, the money was not refunded to my account which I will be calling my debit card company tomorrow to get this matter resolved.

I have never had any issue with any company telling me I could not use a debit card to pay on a payment plan. I just ordered from QVC on a payment plan for a tablet and they had no issue with it being a debit card and processed the order and it is now being processed for shipment. Why would Time Life Star Vista have a issue with this and huge company like QVC not have a problem with it? I will never ever again order anything from Time Life and I will let everyone I know how horrible their customer service really is. The customer service rep I spoke to was very rude and argued with me that the card I have is a store bought prepaid debit card which is absolutely NOT true... I wonder if the government is aware they are issuing store bought prepaid cards to people. LOL. Lesson learned, Time Life will never get my business again or from anyone I know.

I too ordered the hall of fame series from a infomercial. I am a lifelong music fan and am also home bound disabled. So after considering my very limited finances I was excited to call the order to StarVista entertainment/Time life co. I received my first set and was very excited to receive it, yet when I tried to watch them only 2 out of 8 DVDs worked stating "incorrect disk". So I called the customer service and were well treated and was assured that another set will be sent A.S.A.P, which they DID. Yet to my disappointment I received another set of only 6 out of 8 DVD. So this being not only charged for your product that is not working twice. I called again!!! And asked for a supervisor to complain about the quality control of their product and was informed that I had to return to unusable DVDs which I DID and they finally sent me a third set of the DVDs which I had already made the first payment directly out of my acct. I received the third set and the same DVDs DID not work.. Sooo...I called again very upset...then I go and check my banking account to find out I have been charged another $29.99. Which if had received a proper product I have no problem paying per the agreement.

Yet after months of trying to solve this situation I spoke to another "supervisor" and was informed that I was getting referred to the corporate office...that was two weeks ago and I will call again. I never order anything online and this was the first time I order over the phone/Using my debit #. Only because I trusted the name of Time Life...hopefully the powers in charge will resolve this problem by refunding all my money and hope in the future ensure the quality control of the products they are advertising. I am still disappointed that I probably will not receive the rock of roll hall of fame the full set. But I put too much time and energy to believe anything will actually be done. Yet...when this come to my finances I will fight. Remember I am disabled and on a very limited income. Please help me resolve this situation.

I foolishly got caught up in a TV ad while walking at my gym that said "call in the next 2 minutes & get free shipping"! After placing my order (July 13), I regretted this rash decision & called back in 10 minutes to cancel my order. I was told that I could not do that UNTIL it showed up in their computer system -- about 24 hours. I called in the next day & they said they could not cancel the order because it was already "approved". I then wrote a blistering letter to customer service, saying I had never before made a transaction that could not be cancelled & that I was going to contact BB Bureau, post my experience online, etc. etc. In other words, I would have to pay for shipping & insurance back to them. I contacted my credit card company & they are going to dispute this transaction. I will never be seduced into an offer like this again without inquiring as to whether I can cancel my order at any time.

Called in response to TV ad to order a 10 CD set of country music videos - cost of $29.99 per month from Star Vista Time Life Entertainment. I provided card number and paid in full (included one free CD and free shipping rather than set up extended payments). Representative upsold me a display box and additional 6 CDs stating cost would be an additional $20. Note reps got card number and charging information before telling me the total or even getting my name and address. Rep informed me delivery would take up to two weeks. I said okay - I was in no hurry and did not want to pay more for faster delivery. I declined any further offers after the additional 6 CDs and, since the rep had not confirmed the total, which should have been about $174 with the 6 CDs for $20 and the cost of the display box, I requested he confirm the total.

After hesitation, rep gave me a total in excess of $240. I countered that the total was excessive and said the CDs should have only been an additional $20; he concurred but still insisted the total was $240+. I told him to cancel the added 6 CDs and just sent the original set of 10. He said he had already entered the order and it could not be altered. Customer service was closed, but I could call another number the following day. I asked for a supervisor and told him to cancel the entire order which I had just made. He demurred insisting I had to call the next day.

I called Star VIsta/TIme LIfe customer service first thing the next day (today). The consumer rep admitted the $20 was a misstatement, yet I was informed that my order was sent out already, and my only option was to request a return label, which would take 7 to 10 days to arrive, return the CDs and then wait another several weeks for the return of my money, which had already been withdrawn from my account. I demanded to talk to a supervisor. I was never transferred to a supervisor, but after several minutes on hold, the customer service girl advised me that she could email me the return label today. I asked her to do so and asked her for the corporate address. I will need that to fill out the consumer fraud complaint form I already ordered from the AZ Attorney General's Office.

No company should be able to hold a customer's money for weeks on end after making a false claim as to cost. If they can finalize and order instantly and ship out immediately, they no doubt have the ability to return funds just as expediently if they so desire.

My niece ordered a CD set from this company a couple of hours ago and when I found out, I called them to cancel it immediately. Not only did they refuse to do so, but I found out that my PayPal credit card was charged twice. The customer rep told me that if I refuse the package, it could get lost or take a long time to be refunded. She suggested that I wait the 30 days before returning it, but after reading all the complaints on this site, I see that it will be very difficult to get my $161.94 back. I will be contacting PayPal in 48 hours to see if both charges can be contested. Do not deal with this company!

I called because I kept missing the TV ad but had the phone number. When I called back, I made an order for the Country Western discs for $132.95. That was taken out of my credit card on 12/11/11 and was received just before Christmas. I started listening to one of the discs and realized that it was not the one I wanted. The one I received was all 1940's to 1960's that I already had. The one I wanted was the more current country western and I found out that it was the "country's got heart collection".

When I called back, they told me to return it and make sure I put insurance on it which I did. The cost was $13.54 including the shipping. I did that on 1/6/12. Which means that once I received the discs and I returned them was only two weeks. I received a letter dated 2/1/12 stating that they would not accept my return as it had to be there within 30 days from the date of order. I have watched their commercials and all they say is that there is a 30 day return policy. Nowhere did they say it had to be back to them within their 30 day window.

This is why I dislike ordering off these commercials. They always try and keep the money if they can. Not only do they have my money but they also have the discs. I would accept them sending me the ones I wanted in the first place. My plan is to call the State Attorney General for the State and make a complaint about fraudulent advertising.

I ordered some music CDs from a Time Life company that advertised on television. I did this in direct deference to my own policy of never ordering anything from Time Life, based on my 33 years' experience as a mailman. Nonetheless, I ordered the CDs and paid for them with my credit card, which I did over the phone. I was pleased with the music, and I watched the credit card statement for the first three months to be sure they were not charging me any interest, as stated in their ad.

At the end of that time, the debt was paid off, and I thought everything was done. Recently, I examined my credit card statement and discovered a charge of $24.95 on it, which I had noticed before, but because of the relatively small charge, I didn't pay it much attention. When I researched my records, I discovered that that charge had occurred on my statement for over a year and a half. I realize that it is my mistake to let that charge go on uncontested for that length of time. However when I called the 800 number listed above and talked to a representative, she informed me that this sort of thing happens quite often.

Obviously, I felt like a fool, but I instructed her to stop taking the payment from me, and I asked her what it was I was supposed to have been receiving. She told me that it was protection for fraud or something of that nature. I told her that I had never received anything in the mail, in writing or otherwise, concerning the service I was paying for. I also asked her how it came about that I was billed all this time for this service. She said that because I didn't decline a service verbally, apparently at some point during the conversation I had when I ordered the CDs, that I was agreeing to this service.

I have no recollection of such an agreement, and I certainly didn't receive anything written at any time from this company. Once again, I take responsibility for not noticing the charge for such a long time. However since I live an active life style, I obviously have not been paying close enough attention to my credit card statement. That has now changed.

My complaint is that this company fanged me for $24.95 for a long time, and I didn't receive any tangible service or value for my money. I didn't know nor do I now know what it is that I was paying for. The company, which shows up as SEM* Value Plus on my credit card statement, never sent me anything in writing. They did however credit my account $24.95 x4 on my most recent credit card statement.

I feel that I am owed a full refund of $24.95 per month, dating back to the time when the order was first placed. I think this is a prime example of fraud, just as it was back when I was carrying mail and I listened to my patrons complain of receiving books and record albums which they did not order. I wonder if mine is the only complaint you have received.

Have the same situation as a few of your posted consumers. Really trying to find out their outcomes to use when I go to court. Or use any 'prescience' to expedite my court case, or allow for adjournment. Think I have enough documentation for a favorable judgement, but every little bit will help.

Like Pamela's posting of Brookings, OR 10/2/2010 I didn't confirm an order after hearing the sales pitch. But did get billed. Like Jane of Heltonville, In, 2/9/2010 was getting billed for the Value Plus. Fortunately got that stopped immediately and was credited back to my credit card. Christopher of Hilo, HI, 3/26/2009 got the multiple purchases same as me for CDs I think. Don't really know, never received the item(s).

So my real comment at this time is there any way to get information on any of the cases listed and the verdicts? You give me theirs or tell me how to get them and I'll give you mine, later? It's probably too late for an attorney to contact me, but I'll leave that option open on this form.

Going to court Nov. 30, 2010, with a group that bought out the credit card debt on this item since Time Life would not contact my credit card company, and my credit card company would not take my word (which I understand). But Time Life would not contact the credit card company and the the credit card company would not contact Time Life. I cancelled that card (not them) and now the charges +% are $900. But the unique thing is, in my checking the credit card company accounting math, I actually overpaid and will be going for approx. $100 refund from the debt purchaser.

I have the same situation as a few of your posted consumers. I'm really trying to find out their outcomes to use when I go to court, or use any 'prescience' to expedite my court case, or allow for adjournment. I think I have enough documentation for a favorable judgement, but every little bit will help. Like Pamela of Brookings, OR on 10/2/2010, I didn't confirm an order after hearing the sales pitch but I did get billed. Like Jane of Heltonville, In, on 2/9/2010, I was getting billed for the Value Plus. Fortunately I got that stopped immediately and it was credited back to my credit card. Christopher of Hilo, HI, on 3/26/2009 got the multiple purchases same as I did for CDs I think. I don't really know if they never received the item(s). So my real comment at this time is there any way to get information on any of the cases listed and the verdicts? You give me theirs or tell me how to get them and I'll give you mine, later?

I went online to order a set of DVDs for $39.99 Free Shipping included. I entered my name, address & credit card information, and then saw an "order confirmed" screen but in order to get to my 'receipt' I had clicked through their various other offers, each time clicking on the "No Thanks" button. When I finally got to my 'receipt', I saw that my "Order Confirmation" showed an order for a 12-DVD set, for a total of $119.96. I never ordered/authorized that.

When I called the customer service number to try to rectify their mistake, I was told that my order wasn't in their system yet, and by the time it appeared, most likely the item would have shipped and I'd be charged for it. This is pure fraudulence on the part of this company. At no time, did I agree to purchasing as 12-DVD set for $119.96. My credit card will be charged $119.96 when I only authorized a charge for $39.99.

I signed for "free intro" CDs. I kept receiving overpriced CDs thereafter. I called them to cancel but since it was one month after, they would not take any back and I have to pay even if I return it. Otherwise, they threatened me to send to collections. I told them I don't want it and it will be all returned. Their answer: We send you to collections even if you return all CDs. They were forcing me to keep something they sent me without me picking it. Crappy deal! My advise, go and pick your own music at the store. Those automatic charges suck and it's a lot of work to get rid of them later.

I purchased CD's for Christmas gift with debit card. I received merchandise fine however, my checking account is being charged every month for member services through Value Plus. What service I am I supposed to be receiving, I don't know. They will not tell you who gave them the card # except it was from a purchase on 11/9. They also say they can't credit your account but yet they can debit it. Do not buy anything from Time Life.

time life inc. got my credit card # for one purchase and now they are using it multiple times w/o my authorization. criminal identity theft and/or creditcard/postal fraud

ordered relaxation cd's and now all i have is a life time of anxiety-crooks need to be stopped!

I ordered timelife soulstories CD collection but never recieved the product. When I first ordered the product I sent a money order of $163.00. I sent it for next day delievery on December 15, 2008 and it was recieved on December 16, 2008 at 9:28 am and was signed by K.Luke. Two of their representatives explained to me that there was a 5 day delivery fee which was $12.95 and so that amount is included with the $163.00. When I called back they said that there is no such thing as a 5 day delivery fee only with credits it exist. So I explained to them that I wanted a refund of the $12.95.

I called again about 3 weeks later and now they told me that it takes 3-4 weeks for a money order to process. I called again 4 weeks later and they said that they don't have my account on the computer and that it will take about 4-8 weeks. It's been 10 weeks and they still don't have my account on the computer they told me that they do not recieve the money orders in their location that it's recieved somewhere else and there is no way of knowing whether they processed the money order. This was suppose to be a Christmas gift and we are now in Feb. 27, 2009. I have my receipts, tracking number.

Product never recieved

I bought the I can Only Imagine CD - I paid with Credit Card - knowing that I agreed to try other TimeLife music - but NO obligation to buy - CANCEL anytime.

I cancelled as soon I got my next CD and mailed it right back. I received FOUR more CD's, sending back each and everyone - and called EVERYTIME to cancel. The last three times I called, I was told the computers were down and they couldn't see my history or cancel but they would be the order in - each time I would receive ANOTHER cd - and they were NOT 4-6 weeks apart - I received three in ONE MONTH. I have called, sent emails requesting a FULL for all CD's except the first - to no avail. I have only the first cd in my possession yet I have paid for all of them! PLEASE, PLEASE HELP.

I ordered a set of CD's from Time Life on TV and charged the payments to my credit card. I received the CD's and the songs were repeated on the other CD's. I decided I was not satisfied, I called 1-800-277-8911 and told me that they were going to refund my money. In the mean time I went through my bank account summary and I saw a charge for $16.95 from WC*Value Plus. I called my bank and they gave me more info on this people.

It turn out to be that they charged my account for something I did not even signed up for. They do business with Time Life but somehow I ended up in their mailing list I guess. I do not know how they got a hold of my account and began charging me for whatever I am not sure they offer, I have nnot even received a call from these people nor have I cal them authorizing anything. I call them later on 10-26-06 vand the representative was too rude and told me that they will refund my money as a credit into my bank account within two satements cycles, that means within 2 months? I went ballistic of course. I called my bank and they are investigating these people and the unauthorized charges. A total mess!

I called to order a CD that was only $9.99 on a televion advertisement. The representative was also trying to get me to order other CDs. I insisted that I did not want any other Cd but the one CD I want for $9.99 + Shipping & Handling. The conversation was recorded. The problem is that when I looked at my bank account, I noticed they charged me $151.13. I was outraged. I called them immediately and demanded a cancellation of the order.

Not only were they rude and unprofessional, they denied me an order cancellation stating that the products that I did not order were already shipped. The representative then asked me to hold for a few minutes and then he hung up the phone. I called again and spoke with another representative and I stated the same situation to her and her response was the similar to the other representative. I then asked to speak to a supervisor, the representative asked me and I qoute, "Why do want to speak to a supervisor?" This issue has caused a financial hardship for me special during the holidays.

I do not think that any customer should be lied to and charged for products that they did not originally ordered. This company is scamming customers throughout the country and I believe I am not the only victim here. They have to be stopped.

Time Life Inc. Company Profile