1.45/5

Mustang, OK

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

255 Tate Publishing Consumer Reviews

Original review: Nov. 11, 2014

I recently published a book with Tate as well. From my personal experience, I would not recommend them in the slightest. I have been flip flopped around to at least 4 different "representatives" during my less than a year contract with them. When I called to ask when my books would be delivered, he confused me with another author and completely different book. When I finally did receive my book, my name was printed halfway off the cover: as in you could see half my name and the other part wasn't even on the book. My book was (and still is) filled with errors. Nobody proofread it after I did. It's difficult reading something you wrote yourself and trying to find errors in it (You wrote it that way because you thought it was right, haha). They won't send me my quarterly check.

It's been 3 quarters since my release date and have yet to see a dime. They tell me it's due to the fact that accounting hasn't been "paid out" by the distributor. I understand I am not Stephen King and do not deserve to be treated like him. All I want is for my representative to remember my name at least. You do everything yourself. The "publicist" takes contact information from you (that you collected from 10 different stores and locations) and calls them. That's it. You are responsible for doing everything else. I'm heartbroken over this. They took something I worked so hard for and something I was so proud of and ripped the enjoyment directly out.

Tate Publishing response

This is an anonymous post claiming to be a Tate Publishing signed author. We are not able to locate any author by this name and region in our author pool. By not providing any specifics as to who you are or what book you are referencing, we are not able to properly address these concerns that appear to be marketing and royalty related. Hopefully this author will reach out to their Marketing Consultant directly or contact Mark Mingle our Executive Director of Marketing at mark.mingle@tatepublishing.net so we may address your specific needs.

We are here to help and are always open to setting up more events and getting new ideas about marketing pushes and strategies to revamp sales. We are also committed to making sure you have all the correct information regarding your royalty reports and sales. Please contact us directly to talk new strategies and take new steps toward success with your book.

Trinity Tate-Edgerton
Exec. Dir of Book Acquisitions

Tate Publishing & Ent

Original review: Oct. 22, 2014

I thought I had done my research prior to signing a contract with Tate Publishing. It didn't take long before I realized I had not done enough. I knew that I would be responsible for a lot of the marketing, especially carving out my niche market. What I was not prepared for was the lengths Tate Publishing goes to provide false information, false reporting and how they attempt to talk you out of making retail sales. All the promises of the great Marketing Team that will provide a great service and give you an edge goes right out the window when you sign and pay your refundable marketing retainer.

I was told in my first phone call with my marketing rep, that no one wants to book a new author. His team sent out a few emails, some to the wrong departments, that is all that was ever done on my behalf. I went out and found retailers to carry my book. When I called to place the orders for the retailers, my marketing rep did everything but stand on his head to try to talk me out of getting retail sales. When I asked for a form to use for my school visits in my niche marketing that would make me a success, he didn't have one. What a joke.

My contract said I would be paid 15% of the sale price of retail sales. When I received my first marketing reporting the numbers didn't add up. I questioned every single report. It took complaining and requesting detailed back up from February until June before Tate sent me the full detailed report which showed I was being paid 15% of 90% of the sales price. I was told on several occasions from my marketing rep that Amazon was a slow payer. I am with a new publisher and have since found out Amazon pays in 7-14 days. Sales made in November 2013, Tate paid me in June 2014.

The quarter I reached 1000 retail sales, the marketing report was changed. Sales that had been previously and accurately reported as retail distribution sales were now coded as author purchases. After I emailed everyone I had ever had any contact with stating I would seek outside help to get this matter resolved. August 27, 2014 it was confirmed that I had met 1000 sales and the request for my refund was submitted. After that time, I was handed off yet again to another department. I have not received the refund and I have not been told when it will be sent. They will not return my calls. I have just begun filing complaints with regulatory offices and BBB and any other resource I can find. It's really sad, my book turned out great with Tate and all I ever wanted to do was sell books. Tate only wants their authors to buy books from them. They make it difficult to obtain your retail sales. I do not know how they can look themselves in the mirror, the deception runs very deep in this Company.

Tate Publishing response

This has been resolved, as we provided Sheila with her full investment refund following verification that no returns from distribution would send her back below the 1000 books sold in distribution required for the refund. We are glad to provide refundable investment contracts to our authors and are proud of Sheila and her success in working hard to sell books!

Tate Publishing and Enterprises

Original review: Oct. 11, 2014

I read consumer complaints and to be honest, maybe that's their experience, but I don't think it's the consensus. I think most people walk away happy with their product. Now do I think everyone who has a book published through Tate can write? In my honest opinion, no. However, I do think there are some who have huge potential. And like myself, there are authors who need a starting point that can offer exposure. Tate Publishing is the company that can do that. Do you have to work promoting your book? Absolutely! I don't know about you, but I don't want to put my career in another person's hands. I'm sure it's this way with other publishing companies as it is with Tate. You do have to assist in promoting your book and be active in making sure things are done to your satisfaction. That's with anything in any business transaction.

I think once they see you are working as hard as the staff, they will do their best to make you happy. If you don't like something, then tell them. For example in the beginning, a staff member tried to pass off a very poor book cover design. I have to be honest; it was terrible. However, in spite of her claiming I had no other choices (even though in the contract it stated otherwise), I put my foot down and insisted on another cover design. Well, I got my cover. It is everything I imagined. The designer did an amazing job. I don't know what happened, but the project manager either had been fired or she had quit shortly later. Were there problems in editing such as mistakes? Yes! Even still, once I complained, the problem went away. Like I said, you have to check their work to make sure it's to your satisfaction. Don't sign anything until you are completely satisfied with the final product. That's just good sense with any business deal.

Do I think Tate Publishing is going to help mold me into a famous author? Absolutely! Although, I have to create a product that will interest the public. That's the real challenge. All in all, if you want to write a one-time book that's great or if you desire to become a known author, Tate Publishing is not a bad place to start. When I searched many different companies, Tate offered the best deal and less money. Plus, they are willing to take a chance with you when no one else will. So, I took the plunge with Tate, and I do not regret it. My book is coming out November 25th this year. I am very excited. You should check my book out "The Order Of The Quest". In my opinion, Tate Publishing is the real deal!

Charlotte,

I want to thank you for taking the time to make these remarks on this site. We have on file literally thousands and thousands of emails, letters, and calls from our authors over the decades thanking us for their experience. We always regret that there are those who are not our authors or who have been rejected by our acquisitions staff who choose to take the "low road" and complain but not follow our instructions and guidance. We love our authors and those who choose to work with us like you have chosen are the ones who make it happen. My personal cell number is 405-826-6219 and you or any author who is currently under contract to us or our staff may be considering are welcome to call me at any time. You will not get that offer from any company founder in America. Let me know if your experience with my staff is ever less than outstanding and you, or any author, will have my ear instantly and my effort fully. Thanks and onward to great effort which creates great success.

Founder, Tate Publishing

Original review: Oct. 10, 2014

Several years ago, one of my life's bloopers was hooking up with the infamous Dr. Tate. I submitted a chapter of a tell-all book about my life growing up in a dysfunctional family. Three days later, a contract magically appeared at my door via UPS. "We will make you a world renowned author. We will make you a star!" And the accolades continued how Tate Publishing would market my book nationwide with book signings, an audio edition, etc. etc. I bit and 4 grand later a 150 page book was edited down to a ten page pamphlet. The Dr. had no intention of publishing that book. His only intention was getting his hands on my $4,000. Tate publishing is a step below carnival scams.

Del,
I am deeply disappointed in your evaluation and when I look at our records and files of our history with you I cannot find one time that we did not meet every element of our agreement with you. I am concerned that you may have other issues which are creating difficulty for you that you are possibly passing on to us. Contract offers do not "magically" appear. They are considered and thought through. A contract offer at your door does not indicate we have an agreement, only that we are demonstrating what we might be able to do with a book. I never tell any author they will be "world-renowned" or a "star!" That is simply ludicrous and would never come from any staff member of our company, least of all from me. If you would look at the history of your contact record from our staff to you it would be very clear that the delays were not on the part of our team. I have resources invested in every book we publish and the fact that we still do not have a book is a difficult position for me to be in as well. Since you seem to have a great concern at this point and we seem to be in controversy over the facts I am SURE you will take a moment and give me a call on my personal cell number to answer your questions, assist you, and see how we might resolve every issue. I guarantee that the ball is in your court and no one on the planet will do more for you (or any author) than will my company. My cell is 405-826-6219 and I am looking forward to your call and to assisting you. The only way an author could be unhappy is if they do not understand their signed contract or have not contacted us directly to get help. Since we cannot find that you have contacted us with your concerns I am sure you will give me a call very soon. We want to be a blessing to you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Founder and Chairman

Original review: Oct. 8, 2014

My experience with Tate Publishing has been wonderful. My son signed (first book) on 02/18/2014. Yes you have to put work into it...but they have been great. Cody ** and Eden ** have been better than I could have hoped for. If you want your book to succeed, they are the people to go to. Yes...you have to work, yes, you have to help market (thousands of people want their book to be published...they can only do so much).. if YOU want to succeed... you have to put time into it. We had input on the book cover (they nailed it) constant editing....they started marketing (yes we had to keep following up - but if you want to succeed.. it's not up to them, it's up to you).. Any questions we had they answered.. we could not be happier. Call us.. ** -Cathy ** ---- my son Brandon signed with them.. it's been a great experience. Thank you.

Cathleen and Brandon,
Thank you so much for these kind words and for all you have done in complete cooperation with our staff. If more authors understood what you have demonstrated they would find the "tough" world of publishing a much more pleasant experience. God has blessed us to have you and I promise that any time I may be of assistance I am only a phone call away. My personal cell is 405-826-6219 and call me any time. You are right on target and there are so many things authors who are "first-timers" in this world could learn from you. Thanks so much.

Founder and Chairman

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tate Publishing?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2014

I entered into an agreement with Tate Publishing through a specific party. She assured me SHE would be the go to person for all questions regarding the publishing of my book. Shortly after I sent in the required monies and signed the agreement she was (retired) let go. I was subsequently farmed out to a lady in the Philippines who I had difficulty understanding. I complained to management about this and requested an American contact person I could work with. I was told this Asian lady was a Tate employee and SHE would be my only contact person. I requested a refund if I could not get an American (here in the States). The last communication from Tate was August 24th. I have become tired of the BS. On 10/4/14 I opened a complaint with the better business bureau and depending on their follow up I plan on filing complaints with the City Attorney for Mustang Oklahoma, that County's District Attorney, the Oklahoma Attorney General's office as well as the U.S. Attorney General. I suggest all reading this do likewise. Flood everywhere you can think of to get them to take notice, maybe your Congressmen and Senators, both State and Federal. Christian company my ass!

Dear Bradley,
Your comments have come to my personal attention and I regret you have felt that this experience has not been what you expected. I have tried to find the concerns and details you mentioned but due to the limited information in your notes we cannot seem to locate these details. If you had requested a specific staff member that would have been handled immediately with no problem. I am more than happy to speak with you directly and solve this issue immediately and meet every need you have regarding the specific contract you have with our company. I sense in your language your anger and it is certainly unneeded and once you and I get on the phone I can help you immediately. My personal unlisted cell number is 405-826-6219 and I look forward to your call. Your statements are simply not normal in the course of our operation and are not only disappointing to me but do not come across my desk from authors. I know your call will be forthcoming and we will help you to the best resolution. God bless and I look forward to hearing from you.

Founder and Chairman

Original review: Oct. 2, 2014

The people you speak with at first are very nice. This is a vanity press which means they have you pay to print your book. Instead of telling me to pay, which I refused to do, they sent me a contract. They have not honored the contract. They tell me to contact book stores to set up to sell my book, and to do book signings. They have only set up one book signing, at a local coffee shop, and I will be doing a book signing for only 3 hours late in the day. The other book signing they set up for me is over 500 miles away and I have to pay for everything, including all the books to sell. Even though the contract says they pay for travel and other expenses.

Tate people email me all the time with things that are of no use to me. When I asked about my first commission check, they held it for two months telling me they didn't have my Social Security Number for me to pay tax on. Even though the SSN was included in the contract. Another month went by and another commission check should have been sent to me. Four months in total and only one check sent to me. The people have turned abusive, and don't know what they are doing as far as the book market goes. The only thing they do is sell services they don't deliver. And then make you wait for what they promise you. Don't use this company!

Dear Anonymous (Edward),

From what you have stated in the comments it appears there are serious misunderstandings. Each item you mentioned simply does not make sense to me at all from our normal training and instruction process with each one of our hundreds of employees. I have not been able, with staff assistance, to determine your status as a Tate author. Once I hear from you in reply I guarantee you that you will have my full attention and we will address each issue of your concerns in detail.. Nothing in your remarks even closely resemble our operation, contract, or process with an author. My personal unlisted cell number is 405-826-6219 and once I can have a conversation with you and discuss each element of your concerns I assure you we will do all that is correct, proper, and within the bounds of our contract with you to make every issue right and resolved. You are in the finest hands possible for a first time author and I assure you that you have my complete assistance and attention. I look forward to your call.

Founder and Chairman of the Board

Original review: Sept. 22, 2014

Tate has broken its promises and contractual obligations with me and now refuses to accept my phone calls or emails. Books were supposed to be ready by the rollout date of July 22. As of today hard copies are still not available.

Tate Publishing response

This has been resolved, as we provided the hardcover books following the steps needed to create the books at a new bindery. Since that time, all hardcover books are created in-house with our own printer. We apologized to Sal and provided additional free product to him due to the delay. We have always been responsive and though there were frustrations over this delay, we very much believe in Sal and his work and desire to continue to serve him long-term.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2014

Now that one manuscript is in production process and the other in editing, I have to say, Tate has responded to my every email. They may be busy at work, I do not know the size of the company, however I trust them to do a great job. I see more great product than bad and more good reviews than bad. If anyone is looking for perfect they may as well just stare at Christ. He is the only one without spot or blemish. I trust God first to make my book a success. Tate Publishing is just riding along.

Tate Publishing response

Thanks for these kind words and comments, Kristie! We are thankful to have you in our family of authors, and though are not perfect, we strive every day to serve authors and help dreams come true.

Thank you once again and please contact us anytime to assist ongoing!

Tate Publishing and Enterprises

Original review: Sept. 8, 2014

I was contacted by Stacy ** who wanted to republish my autobiography. I told her I did not have an electronic manuscript. She said that was alright, that they could republish it without an electronic manuscript. As it turns out that within a few days, I received a call from Tate Publishing asking me for an electronic manuscript. That's when I called Founder and CEO Richard Tate. After some lengthy discussions, he finally agreed to issue me a refund. After he did not return my phone calls and e-mail messages, I called my Visa company and disputed the payment. Today, almost two months later, I received a call from Allen **. He said there was no way they could give me a refund. He accused me a fraud.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2014

I have so far published three books through Amazon's CreateSpace program and have had some small amount of success. I got a call from a representative from Tate's acquisitions department telling me that they wanted to publish one of my books - the title of which she had no idea. I took the opportunity to update my first novel as a "second edition" per her suggestion. I had to do all the prep work, editing, etc. and submit print-ready pdf files according to their specs (somewhat different than Amazon's). I was then passed off to their "production" department. Another woman with a thick accent - I found out that all of this part of their process is done in the Philippines.

I found the acquisitions person and the production person to be unprofessional, unresponsive and lied to me on more than one occasion. My efforts to speak with superiors was fruitless. I kept getting regurgitated, cut-and-paste answers to my questions. When I was told that they were going to put a cover price of $31.99 on it, I freaked out. No way that the book would be able to sell for that. They tried to make me happy by telling me that I could buy discounted copies at about $12.50 and that I could conceivably sell them for a great profit. But if I sell them for a competitive price, I'll only make a few dollars, hardly worth the effort. And now, the marketing person is telling me that I have to do the lion's share of the legwork to sell my books.

I expected to do a few book signing events and interviews but he's telling me that the bulk of my sales are presumed to be through events like this and that I have to purchase my own supply of books to sell at them. I even have to do my own market and demographic research. Wait a minute! Isn't that what a publishing company is supposed to do for its authors? Aren't we both essentially in this together, each of which to gain a profit from sales? Isn't it in their best interest to promote, market and distribute my books? Clearly they are not in the publishing business, they are in the printing business. By selling books at two to three times the cost/price of other companies like Amazon's CreateSpace, they are making their money on us, not by promoting our books.

I'm now working on my fourth novel which I expect to have ready next spring. I've been in the printing and publishing business (in the production end) for over thirty years and I have never worked with such an unprofessional and shady operation in my life. I am ready to pull the plug on this whole thing and just publish my "second edition" with Amazon and move on. This clearly isn't the "big break" they made it out to be.

Tate Publishing response

We offered a no investment contract to this author, and our desire was to help him grow his audience in marketing. The book was nearly 500 pages in length, which necessitates a higher retail price.

This author requested to terminate his agreement with us one week following the completion of production, so he did not attempt to give our marketing plan the time needed to succeed.

In today's market, all authors must work hard to find success. Authors that do not wish to work are passed by quickly by authors that understand the importance of building a platform and engaging readers directly. We wish this author the best in his publishing endeavors.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

I had Tate Publishing publish my book. The book came out in January 2014. A website went along with the publishing package that I paid $4,000.00 for. I was asked to fill out a questionnaire and email it back to get the website started. This now August and nothing has been done. I've emailed the questionnaire 5 times to 3 different people holding that position. When the book was published it had several grammar mistakes and I was told that I would have to pay extra to have them fixed. I feel like I've been misled and I feel like I've been lied to. When I call I get the run around. I'm totally disgusted with the company. They are quick to take my money but don't hold up their end of the agreement. Christian book publisher? I don't think so.

Christina,

If something has not been done or has not been addressed, we are more than glad to help, and even to provide free books for the trouble.

Regarding the content, it is frustrating but not uncommon for an error to slip through. No one desires that, but if changes are needed we are happy to address these for you anytime at no cost to you.

Please feel free to contact us at 888-361-9473 and we will be glad to assist you.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2014

I signed with Tate publishing last year. Things went well at first, then when the editing started and I realized I left out a chapter it went bad from there. I put in the chapter I left out and they said they would edit it, they sent it back with no changes needed. I knew they couldn't have read it because there was no way I did a perfect job on it. When I went back and reread it I found tons of mistakes, so I questioned them and they assured me they read it which had to have been a lie or they don't care what they publish.

After it was published, it took almost 2 months for some people to get their books they ordered and even now it takes weeks. When I asked them about it, they said they had press problems, then they just bought new presses and now supposedly it's all fixed but who knows. I can't get them to respond to my emails and when I finally threaten to contact BBB they say they had internet problems with their emails and they weren't getting all of them. One would think since this seems to happen all the time that they would get it fixed. They said they overpaid me because their computers counted my sales twice and then got upset when I asked to see what books sold what month. I have a right to know how many books sold and what months. Things just seemed a bit suspicious to me, saying their computers counted my sales twice. I finally got the statement after months of asking and everything looks fine, however I shouldn't have had to ask them for months to get it.

I have sent 3 emails in the past 2 weeks and still have yet to hear back. It's frustrating to say the least. They got my money and now they do nothing. For a Christian publisher I expect a lot more transparency, communication and honesty. This has been so frustrating. I am tired of getting emails on deals they have for me to buy my book but they can't answer my emails I send them. If you are thinking of going with them, stop and really read these comments and think twice. I was excited about publishing my first book only to have it turn into a hassle.

Tamara,

While we do not claim to be perfect, we do desire to ensure you are happy with the finished product. This why we ensure you see the finished product before production is complete, and why we allow the author to sign off on every element of the production phase. There is much back and forth in the editing stage, that is normal regardless of the publisher, and if you happen to leave a chapter out as you mentioned or find an error on our end, we are glad to work through that creative process together.

If you have any questions about sales, we are glad to answer or research the issue, and I would encourage you to contact your assigned Author Service Representative for assistance.

We send out extra discounts and offers to our authors only to benefit the authors that are actively engaging their audience and selling direct, which drives demand and generates added visibility. Our most successful authors take advantage of additional discounts and offers and use them to build their platform as professional authors and engage readers in multiple markets, which all authors must do in today's publishing landscape.

We are here to assist you anytime, and if you are unhappy with the book itself or need any kind of assistance with sales, please contact us directly, as it is a violation of your signed confidentiality agreement to post on public sites. We are more than glad to assist you long-term with pursuing your success.

Tate Publishing and Enterprises

Original review: Aug. 16, 2014

I am a writer & editor. A Christian friend was fundraising via email to have friends and relatives help him "raise the $5000 my publisher needs to finish my book." I was dumbfounded. A reputable publisher pays you, the author to publish, not the other way around. He went ahead and paid them and gave away copies to his friends. I read his "published" book and found many spelling errors as well as a staggeringly great need for editing. Furthermore, there is no ISBN number, on this "published" book and no distribution with booksellers besides registering it on amazon. There were no sales on amazon for his book except that which the author placed himself. Tate told him to order books himself to help get the selling and review process started on amazon. This is a scam, with what boils down to a self-publishing printing company that promotes itself as a genuine publisher.

Tate Publishing response

This complaint is not from an author, but a friend of an author that does not appear to understand some of the ins and outs of publishing for new authors. With our plan, both parties invest, particularly when the author is new and has not yet developed a large following. The investment per the contract is refundable, and our contract, more than any other in publishing, allows the author to make high profits quickly from sales. All our books are assigned ISBN and are distributed with Ingram, Barnes & Noble, and Amazon.

Authors that want to target their audience and sell books do so inside and outside of bookstores. We offer deep discounts on author purchased books for resale so authors can take books to speaking engagements, personal appearances, and non-bookstore venues to increase sales. In that respect, no one stands to make more money than the author in our plan. In addition, only 25% of all books sold are sold in brick and mortar bookstores, so authors that sell in other markets make more money and sell more books, which is why our authors are some of the most successful long-term authors in the industry.

Tate Publishing and Enterprises

Original review: July 31, 2014

As the years go by, Tate still refuses to advertise the "books sold/printed" information. This comes across as shady practices. When I launched the books all over the world (yes, I did the advertising and NOT Tate), stores purchased either copies (stock) or printed/ordered on demand. Several stores were advertising my books on their site. As the months go by, it appears that Tate was and still is not filling orders because the book storeseither advertise (sold out) or (out of stock) and it’s about 8 months later, or even dropped book stock because Tate is not filling orders. Whatever the case, bottom line is that Tate hides (books printed/sold material) from the author. It’s rather strange that other publishers release this information; however Tate hides in the corner. So, you can talk kind about Tate all you want. However both sides do not match. Do the math and research before you assume anything. You assume that Tate took over the advertising, in which ALL advertising was accomplished by me, and me alone (Besides Amazon). Whip de doo...

Tate Publishing response

We never hide information on books sold, we report that information to the author quarterly per the contract. Authors may also contact their assigned Author Service Representative for a real-time update anytime. We are glad to provide this to authors and did so with this author as well.

This information was detailed to the author here, long before this complaint was filed:

Mark Mingle (Jan 22 14 9:06 am)

JoAnne,

If you would like an accounting of all books sold to date, we can have accounting run a report for you.

We only send quarterly reports and checks when there have been sales for that quarter, but we can pull the total details from our system.

On the distribution side, your royalties there will increase the more active you are with events. We have a team here that can help you pursue those events, and we have initiated with you over the past year and a half with very little response. It appears that there has been little to no activity or sales since 2012 for your book.

If you'd like to change that, we can help. This is why Dallas contacted you with a new opportunity and why we continue to reach out to authors even years after their release date. One rule holds true in this business - active authors sell books, inactive authors do not.

Again, we are here to assist you and help you, JoAnne. We want your success, and we have a plan to help you engage readers as a professional author. For new authors, it takes years of persistence and patience to gain a footing in this business, but we are here to partner with you and help you find where your book sells best. Telling your partner to "take a hike" isn't going to be productive, when we care about your success and have a team in place that can assist you.

Sincerely,

Tate Publishing

In addition, here are the marketing reports and details which refute the claim that we did no promotion or marketing, including venues contacted and media request as a result of our efforts:

Merlyn Oommen (Nov 22 11 2:01 pm) Edit

Sue, a reporter from the Times Newspaper in Northwest Indiana, requested your contact information for a potential interview.

Merlyn Oommen (Nov 2 11 2:30 pm) Edit

Building Blocks Toy Stores 2130 West Division Street, Chicago, IL (773) 235-1888 ‎ Notes: We spoke to Jessica, a manager, who informed us that they would be interested in hosting an event but that she needs to speak to the owner before scheduling anything. She took down information about your book and contact information. If we have not informed you of a scheduled event within 1-2 weeks, please follow up on this communication in order to pursue a signing.

Merlyn Oommen (Nov 2 11 2:29 pm) Edit

Barnes & Noble Valparaiso Marketplace, 150 Silhavy Road, Valparaiso, IN (219) 531-6551 Notes: We spoke to an associate who informed us that Michele, the community relations manager, was unavailable. We sent a tip sheet about your book, our marketing plan, and contact information to crm2138@bn.com. Please follow up on this communication if we have not informed you of a scheduled event within 1-2 weeks.

Merlyn Oommen (Nov 2 11 2:29 pm) Edit

The Mellow Brew 1060 Joliet Street, Dyer, IN (219) 864-8884 ‎ Notes: Unfortunately, this number has been disconnected.

Merlyn Oommen (Nov 2 11 2:29 pm) Edit

Magic Tree Bookstore 141 North Oak Park Avenue, Oak Park, IL (708) 848-0770 Notes: We spoke to Rose, who expressed interest but requested that we send her a copy of your book for her to review. We sent a digital copy of your book, our marketing plan, and contact information to rose@magictreebooks.com. Please follow up on this communication if we have not informed you of a scheduled event within 1-2 weeks.

Merlyn Oommen (Nov 2 11 2:29 pm) Edit

Extreme Bean Coffee Emporium 18067 Dixie Hwy, Homewood, IL (708) 799-0430 ‎ Notes: Unfortunately, this number is no longer associated with a venue.

Merlyn Oommen (Nov 2 11 2:28 pm) Edit

Women and Children First Books 5233 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL (773) 769-9299 ‎ Notes: We spoke to an associate who requested that we send a detailed email to Linda, who is in charge of hosting events. We sent more information about your book, our marketing plan, and contact information to wcflinda@gmail.com. Please follow up on this communication if we have not informed you of a scheduled event within 1-2 weeks.

Merlyn Oommen (Nov 2 11 2:28 pm) Edit

Kim's Got Books 1145 East 173rd Place, South Holland, Illinois (708) 331-0557 ‎ Notes: After several attempts to reach this store, we only received a voicemail greeting. We left a detailed voice message for the management team and will continue our efforts to pursue a signing.

Merlyn Oommen (Nov 2 11 2:28 pm) Edit

Miles Books 2819 Jewett Avenue Highland, IN 46322-1617 (219) 838-8700 Notes: This store does not host events.

Niche Publicist (Oct 16 11 8:53 pm) Edit

Highland Kiddie Shop 2706 Highway Ave, Highland, IN 46322-1650 (219) 838-1260 ‎- This venue politely declined.

Niche Publicist (Oct 16 11 8:53 pm) Edit

Once Upon a Child 29 US Highway 41, Schererville, IN 46375 (219) 864-1976 ‎- We left a message for Kim. Await reply.

Niche Publicist (Oct 16 11 8:53 pm) Edit

Piper Children's Boutique 322 Main Street, Hobart, IN 46342-4442 (219) 942-2681 ‎- This number is no longer in service.

Niche Publicist (Oct 16 11 8:53 pm) Edit

Coffee Beanery 425 Joliet St # 221, Dyer, IN 46311-1766 (219) 865-2240 ‎- We left a message for Ann. Await reply.

Niche Publicist (Oct 16 11 8:52 pm) Edit

The Mellow Brew 1060 Joliet Street, Dyer, IN 46311 (219) 864-8884 ‎- This number is no longer in service.

Traci Jones Nix (Sep 20 11 9:36 pm) Edit

Submitted a contact request for non-bookstore locations to our publicists. They are working on a 4-6 week turnaround at this time, and I will give you a report on the contacts they've made after that time. They will contact places where people normally gather (such as coffee shops) to set up book signings for you. When you get a notification of a niche venue like this, plan to invite your friends and family even if they have the book. These work best when you invite 20 or 30 people with the goal of having 10 or 15 show up. The shop gets extra customers that day, and you get the opportunity to sell books to their customers. In most cases, the shops do not ask for any part of the profits since they gain by having your customers there. When you go, look for the opportunity to turn this into other events. Find out what the people you meet do, and let them know you do speaking engagements.

Britni Norris (Sep 14 11 10:43 am) Edit

Valley Treasures Bookstore 1102 East 154th Street, South Holland, IL (708) 596-9900 Notes: This number continuously rang each time we called. We were also unable to local a website to send information about your book. Please follow up if you believe this location remains in business.

Britni Norris (Sep 14 11 10:43 am) Edit

Powell's Book Store 1501 East 57th Street, Chicago, IL (773) 955-7780 Notes: We were informed that this location specializes in rare and discounted used books.

Britni Norris (Sep 14 11 10:42 am) Edit

57th Street Books 1301 East 57th Street, Chicago, IL (773) 684-1300 Notes: We spoke with Hannah, the children's book buyer and she requested an e-version of your book be sent to her email address, kidsbooks@simcoop.com. She would like to review the content before committing to an event. If she is able to arrange an event, it will be set up as consignment - you will bring books and receive a percentage of the sales from the event.

Britni Norris (Sep 14 11 10:42 am) Edit

Barnes & Noble Booksellers Orland Park Place 160 Orland Park Place, Orland Park, IL (708) 226-9092 Notes: We spoke with Julie, the manager, and she took down the information about your book and our contact information. She will discuss a possible event with the store manager and decide if it would be a good fit for the store. She mentioned that they have been very busy lately and haven't been scheduling many events. She will contact us if they are able to arrange a book signing for you and your book.

Britni Norris (Sep 14 11 10:42 am) Edit

The Bookie's Paperbacks and More‎ 2419 W. 103rd Street Chicago, IL 60655 (773) 239-1110 Notes: This location does not host events.

Britni Norris (Sep 14 11 10:42 am) Edit

Barnes & Noble Booksellers Valparaiso 150 Silhavy Road Suite 120 #120, Valparaiso, IN (219) 531-6551 Notes: Michelle, the manager, informed us that they are not hosting any events until next summer. She informed us that ea sign-up sheet at the customer service desk, and she suggested going by the store and adding your name to the list to be considered for an event.

Rating has been updated
Resolution response: Nov. 20, 2014

My book (paid for) has never been published. Tate refuses through its attorney Mr. ** to publish it, and refuses to refund my money. I spoke with the Oklahoma Attorney General's Office and found out there is an ongoing consumer protection investigation of Tate. I am filing my complaint and suggest that other persons do the same.

My story is as follows: After my initial contact with Tate, Tate's representative reported my book was great, maybe a best seller and that Tate wanted it. I was told that there were multiple levels of editing including content editing. After much questioning, I was assured of high quality editing and corrections. Once we entered into the editing process, I was told no edits were necessary, only some corrections. This was contrary to observations by author friends of mine, but I continued on with the process.

Tate produced a cover sample which looked good on the computer screen. The cover was matched to a book format and paper color of Tate's choosing and sent to me: the sample was aesthetically awful - wrong size, wrong paper and the cover looked amateurish. I worked with the project manager who agreed and a second version was sent. The cover still did not work, even after book size and paper color were changed. At that point another writer friend told me that book needed editing. Only by getting acquisitions involved did Tate agree to do content editing that I was told my book would have from the beginning. There were lots of suggestions (in a book previously reported to need no editing). I made the suggested changes and got a supposedly print ready version back, but it had errors and no work had been performed to mesh the old text and the corrections.

At this point I concluded Tate was basically a self-publishing company whose focus was on printing a few books for a large number of clients rather than on the sale of books. The book was not ready for publishing, so I hired a professional copywriter to fix it, including spelling errors and grammatical errors ($2,000) and sent it back to Tate. I was told that each change (there were many because after Tate's work the book still needed corrections) had to be noted in side notes. The job was so large, it was practically impossible. Tate refused to simply reformat the book with the corrections. This was handled by Tate through its division in the Philippines. Communication was a continual issue.

Completely frustrated, I got someone in Oklahoma involved. I still could not get the corrections entered. Concerning Tate's editing and spelling corrections, it is worth noting that Tate changed things like ILS (instrument landing system) to IRS and left a large number of spelling errors. In my talk with a local MD who published with Tate, I learned that his book was not available through the stores -- the print version was not listed in catalogues. Completely frustrated and in the belief that Tate management did not know what was going on. I insisted on talking to their attorney who rather than listening to my statements told me that the Tate family was wonderful -- very contrary to my experience with their company -- and totally refused to listen to my complaints. I was further told that he would sue me if I continued bothering Tate Publishing.

Since my experience, I have learned from another publisher that she has other people who report the same thing about Tate Publishing. I cannot say that Tate did nothing on my project, but the overall work was not of high quality or was less than what I was told I would get in editing services; and at the end Tate did not publish the book or refund my money. To sum it up, I continually had the impression that quality was mostly a concern to me and only if I made enough fuss, would Tate produce what I considered to be quality. Having said that, Tate now refuses to publish the book saying I breached the contract!

Original review: June 23, 2014

I have been working for some time with Tate trying to get the first novel of a series published. The acquisition chief told me it was very good and that Tate wanted it. She told me it could be a very good selling book. The publishing process, as explained to me, included content editing. When I got into the process spelling and other corrections were made but I was told no content editing was required... contrary to the advice of writer friends. Regarding the typo and spelling corrections, I had to have two other people go through the MS after Tate worked it to find and fix the very considerable number of errors not found.

Finally, Tate agreed to do content editing and made suggestions that indicated that contrary to the first representations content editing was necessary. After I did the editing I got the manuscript back in a PDF file that still needed editing. No comments came from the editor concerning the work I had done. It was clear that someone just inputted my corrections and nothing else. In order to complete the process I hired a private editor to get the book in final shape. We got stopped there. The PDF file that Tate sent will not allow corrections and after a considerable time we still cannot edit the file.

I am used to quality and professionalism. Tate is capable of both, but I have had to struggle with Tate continually to get them to perform at a quality level. I think Tate is most interested in collecting fees and not selling quality books. At this time I do not recommend this publisher - I suggest self-publishing or another company.

Tate Publishing response

UPDATE - Since this post in November we have reconciled with this author, answered his questions, cleared up misunderstandings, and provided what he was looking for in a publisher. Our team is always open to discussing issues that any of our clients have, and fortunately many of them are cases miscommunication and can be resolved amicably, as happened with this author. His book has now completed the production process and has been released into marketing and distribution, and we are honored to serve him moving forward.

Tate Publishing and Enterprises

Original review: June 20, 2014

In 2011, Tate published my first book. Because some of my book features results of scientific studies, an updated edition is required every 2-4 years. My experience in trying to get this new edition in print has been somewhat of a nightmare. Dr. Tate promised he'd "get to the bottom of it" (the problem) but I haven't heard a word from him or anyone else. I am not a particularly happy author right now.

Kevin,

Please kindly contact us at 888-361-9473. We are glad to assist in any way possible in the re-release of your book, and we have staff assigned to assist you in every way to ensure all is covered moving forward.

Director of Marketing

Tate Publishing

Original review: June 12, 2014

I caught Tate Publishing trying to sell my copyrighted manuscript on their website behind my back (EVEN AFTER) I told them as harshly as I knew how that they (DID NOT) have my permission to do so. When I saw what they were doing the force of it made me so sick and nauseous to my stomach. I felt as if I had just caught another man sleeping with my wife. I immediately called Tate Publishing's major book distributor, "Ingram" to see if Ryan Tate was trying to sell my book there too. I told Ingram to be on the lookout because Tate Publishing might attempt to sell stolen property (my book) through them. Tate Publishing relies on the fact that the Oklahoma court house near them is (so far away) from the authors they screw over.

Ryan Tate has been involved in several foul situations prior to mine. The most horrific event took place in June of 2012 where he wrongfully terminated 25 innocent employees to send their jobs over to the Philippines to increase Tate Publishing's profits by cutting labor costs. Ryan Tate (claimed) that he received an anonymous email which by the way does not exist because (every) email has the senders name and email address listed on the top of the email. Anyway, Ryan surmised that the contents of the email violated an (employee/Employer) confidentiality agreement which by the way, if the employer has nothing to hide then what is he hiding by demanding his employees silence as a job requirement?

So Ryan threatened 25 employees (nice even number) that if (somebody) didn't come forward and claim responsibility for the (anonymous) email, then 25 employees and their dependents would pay the price. And, As Ryan already knew, nobody came forward to save their own job or the jobs of the other 24 employees. What really disturbs me (watch Ryan Tate's YouTube video) is that Ryan has these poor, bewildered employees so intimidated that NO ONE ever has the courage to say, "May I please see the email?" Point, there NEVER was an email so the whole time Ryan's tirade is taking place everyone in the room is looking at everyone else for the culprit because no one sent Ryan Tate an email. Ryan Tate concocted this charade to make an excuse (any excuse) to get rid of his present employees so he could hire new ones in the Philippines. Now I ask you, Just how dirty is that? So consumer BEWARE!

Tate Publishing response

We have not sold any author's copyright on our site or to someone else. Per our contract, all authors retain the copyright in their name, so it is not ours to sell. Any book we distribute through Ingram must be under contract with us.

The account here regarding a court house nearby and the details concerning CEO Ryan Tate are completely inaccurate. We have U.S. offices and offices in the Philippines as well, that is no secret.

We are not in the practice of stealing and selling anyone's work, and if this person is under contract with us, they have violated their contract by posting these remarks in a public forum.

Tate Publishing and Enterprises

Original review: May 27, 2014

On April 14th, 2014 $39.99 was deducted from my bank account for a book I ordered from Tate Publishing Company. It is now six weeks later. I have called the company every day for a week, leaving my name and phone number for a return call from Tate. Still no call back. This book was a gift to a dear friend.

Tate Publishing response

We certainly are sorry to hear of any delays or problems with delivery. If the shipment was lost in transit, we would be glad to replace. Please contact madel.loyola@tatepublishing.net and Ms. Loyola will be glad to research any problems and ship out a book to you right away if needed.

Tate Publishing and Enterprises, LLC

Original review: May 20, 2014

It's important to review the facts. Approx. 1 million books are published annually. 90% of all books sell less than 50 copies! Tate Publishing Co. chooses only 3% of author submissions it receives. If Tate chooses your book, then you're in the top 3%! But unfortunately that is not enough to guarantee success. Tate did an excellent job copy editing my book. They spent a lot of time on my book, and at half the regular price, I got a great deal from them. But the stark reality is writing your book is 1% of the work. The remaining 99% is marketing.

Now if you are famous, like Stephen King, then you're going to have a personal publicist with all of the connections. Remember, it's not what you know, but who you know. If you've got the connections with the big wigs in New York and Los Angeles, then life is going to be a lot easier for you. But for the rest of us, well, it's a difficult uphill battle. Now if you've got a lot of money, then perhaps you can level out the playing field.

The major problem with Tate Publishing Co., in my opinion, is that they're 10 years behind the times when it comes to marketing. First of all, Amazon and Barnes & Noble easily undercut Tate's book prices. Tate doesn't even come close to being competitive with these book merchants. Another problem, there is absolutely no way to track sales. With CreateSpace, you can have as many unique Promo Codes as you want. Every newspaper ad can have its own Promo Code. Tracking sales is a breeze. Also, with CreateSpace, you get royalty payments every month. With Tate, it's once per quarter. Tate only gives you a 40% royalty if someone buys from Tate's website. But why would anyone buy at Tate's website when they can get the same book 20% less at Amazon or Barnes & Noble?

On the other hand, at CreateSpace, you get a 55% royalty. If you decide to advertise with Tate Publishing, you pay 100% of the advertising costs, even though Tate makes a lot of money from the sales. It kind of seems a little unfair, doesn't it? Well, I could go on and on, but the bottom line is that Tate Publishing Company is seriously deficient in the marketing sector - the most important area for sales. Tate needs to address these serious deficiencies quickly, otherwise they may go the way dinosaurs went - extinct (Just my candid opinion folks).

Brian,

I appreciate that you understand the difficulties new authors face. This is an extremely difficult industry to break into, and one must have dedication and long-term vision to gain momentum.

We do sell books at the full retail price in our online bookstore, and yes, Amazon and bn.com are sent that pricing as well but may discount as they see fit. That is free market enterprise and is the same reason a tube of toothpaste costs $2.45 at Target and $2.38 at Wal-Mart. These retailers may discount as they see fit, and this happens across the board in publishing.

With CreateSpace, tracking sales is different since you are selling exclusively through their site. With a mainline publisher, there are many moving pieces, many distributors involved, and sales and returns do not happen in real time with publishers the way books sell on one site with CreateSpace. However, you may contact the staff assigned to you regarding sales updates, and yes, per the signed contract, royalties are paid and reported quarterly, as is standard with mainline publishers.

Regarding marketing, our plan is long-term, as it takes new authors time to find their fit. We provide more in marketing than any other publisher anywhere, as we can make contacts ongoing and long-term to other venues, contact the media on your behalf, and brainstorm with you about attacking your niche market, something no other publisher will do long-term for you. Our role is to find and explore opportunities in which you can engage your target audience and sell books. We schedule, manage, promote, and publicize over 1000 events per month for our authors, something that no other publisher provides, and we do so long-term.

Brian, I would invite you to contact the staff assigned to you. We are here to help long-term and to enable you to find your fit in this industry.

Tate Publishing and Enterprises

Original review: May 17, 2014

I am in the process of publishing a children's book with Tate Publishing. I have to say that I have had a very good experience with this company so far. The communication is excellent; if I have a question or inquiry about the status of my manuscript and the editing phase, I get a reply from my editor within 24 hours. I am in the last phase of my final proofs/edits, and should have the final product ready to print within the next few weeks. The illustration department has done a great job in making my vision become a reality. When the pictures weren't "just right", I submitted edits, and the illustration department made the appropriate changes. I would recommend this company to a 1st time author, who is wanting to partner with a professional company in getting his/her work out there for the world to see! I am looking forward to the marketing department contacting me, and coming up with a game plan to "get out there" and share my new book!

Tate Publishing response

Thank you, Ashley! We, too, are excited about your book and appreciate the kind words!

Feel free to contact us anytime and we are more than glad to assist you long-term in making your book a success!

Tate Publishing and Enterprises

Original review: April 17, 2014

I submitted a manuscript in February 2013. It's now April 2014 and still not published. Very poor editing, almost as if they have some automatic system that checks for punctuation but no spelling errors. Horrible experience, lie upon lies.

Tate Publishing response

Claims her book was signed in February of 2013 and still not published by April of 2014. Author is in violation of confidentiality agreement signed in contract. There is no time limit for publishing, and most major publishers need 12-18 months to complete full production based on a variety of factors unique to each title. We are glad to discuss this directly with the author anytime to assist.

Tate Publishing

Original review: April 2, 2014

Ordered a book on Jan 10th, 2014. Paid in advance with a delivery time of 5-7 days. On Jan 25th, I emailed asking for an update on my undelivered order. Received a response (1/27) saying they had some technical issues and it would take another four weeks. So, now April 1st, no book. I emailed again demanding delivery or refund. All of a sudden, I get a delivery response from FedEx. It took my follow up email to prompt delivery of the product. If I never had to follow up for a second time, I would not have gotten the product I paid for. Would never have this problem with Amazon. I have email correspondence to support my complaint. I can email you this correspondence upon request.

Tate Publishing response

If this person will contact us at 888-361-9473, we will gladly research the book delivery issue and send another copy immediately if not received.

Original review: April 1, 2014

I have tried calling Tate Publishing for days. The receptionist literally has hung up on me. Now she screens the calls and knows my number. I have never seen such unprofessional behavior. Tate Publishing is calling themselves a "family Christian" based company, which obviously is not true. They are getting ready to publish a book written by a disgruntled member of my family. They are calling it "based on a true story". They did NO fact checking of the book. The book is defamation of character and slander. It would hurt my family greatly. I don't understand how a publishing company would not want to make sure the books they put out there are accurate? I had to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau about them. I am literally shocked at this company.

Tate Publishing response

Authors are required to verify the content and information, the copyright remains in the author's name per our contract. This person is welcome to contact us concerning anything written in the author's book, and we will connect her with the author and work to resolve.

Original review: April 1, 2014

I publish with Random House. Tate is mad because I turned them over to Oklahoma Consumer Protection. Last night I received over 1600 emails from Tate Publishing. I would assume they are trying to get even. Bad April Fool Joke. I will get even.

Tate Publishing response

States he signed with Random House and not Tate, but that we emailed him mistakenly. We only would have his contact information because he provided it to us. Complaint is unclear and does not make sense, but if there was an email problem we apologize, as that would be unintentional. We wish this person the best in their publishing endeavors.

Allen Finch
VP, Acquisitions

Tate Publishing and Enterprises

Original review: March 25, 2014

I found Tate through Jerry Jenkin's Christian Writer's Guide and was happy to see they only accept about 1 out of every 2,000 manuscripts submitted (according to the Guide). I received an approval for my manuscript and that was the last happy moment. About a week later, when I tried to contact my acquisitions agent my email was returned "Undeliverable." I'm guessing he quit or was fired for having ethical/moral standards.

I'm not down on Tate for wanting $4k up front. That's a fair price in my opinion if (HUGE IF) you get what they tell you you're getting. My production process was a disaster and my Production Manager would ask me the same questions over, and over, and over, and over... kind of like meeting the same person 100 times and they never remember your name... except this was my rep at Tate - I'm your customer! Additionally she was clueless about my book. A Christian publishing company filing a kid's Bible story under "fiction" is sad (a kid's level account of Genesis Ch. 1). My illustrations were horrible and Tate only showed me the one for the book cover (which I liked) and never saw another one until the production process was "finished. " They weren't in the style I asked for or anything like the sketches I gave them. The illustrations didn't match/fit the placement in the book, and an illustration I paid extra for was the exact same as another image from my book - just reversed. Nothing was hand-drawn... it is all low quality computer art junk... something I could have done (literally) myself.

After the disastrous production experience it goes to "Print." They print my children's book on an 8x4 template that is about the size of a postcard... (Grandma will definitely need her glasses to read the tiny print!) it is 28 pages long, and the paper & binding they use is so flimsy that the copies they set me fall apart after you open the book 2-3 times... and this is going into the hands of kids? Ever seen how kids handle books?

Pricing... a 28 page paperback retailing for $10? Legit publishing companies have hardback kids books with 150+ pages selling for $7 - $10 (I checked on amazon). My author price for paperback copies is $4 (that should be the retail price) and hardback copies are $9 for the author, $20 retail... for 28 pages... seriously? I contacted Mr. Jenkins and suggested he remove Tate from his publishing guide. It's bad enough that Christians are taken advantage of by non-Christians in the world, but this is Christian cannibalism. Very sad.

On a scale of 1-10:
Customer service: 0
Production quality/competence: 0
Marketing: 0
Price point: 0

Overall Experience: 0

Self publish or spend a fraction of the $4k on submitting your manuscript to http://www.christianmanuscriptsubmissions.com. If it's good, then a legit published will pick it up. - Angry in Dallas

Tate Publishing response

Author claims that he did not like the illustrations or size of his book, which he himself approved in writing. Claims the book is overpriced, though he approved the price in writing as well. Author is in violation of the signed confidentiality agreement in his contract by posting information on this site. All the issues detailed here could easily be addressed in conversation, which we are happy to have if the author will contact us directly to allow us to assist

Tate Publishing

Original review: March 7, 2014

First the editing was crap. So many misspelled words after all the publishing that I was too inexperienced to check for. Secondly, I terminated the project before printing. They then proceeded to publish my book without my consent. Now there is a book out there with bad editing under my name. A name I will need to use to publish books that are done and look great. I followed all the steps to terminate the contract. Did everything I was supposed to do and I just found out last night (over a month past the release date) from the marketing person I was working with that they went ahead and released the book and sent word out to local newsgroups. Now I will have this mark on my name for those who may purchase the book. They will look at my name and think how idiotic I was for having so many errors in a piece of work.

Tate Publishing response

Author complains about errors in her own book. We provided editing, but with all publishers, errors can still occur. We, like all publishers, can and do address errors in post-production and have a quick and easy process for doing so. Author terminated her contract, which was unnecessary. We are glad to assist in any production and editing help and would be glad to re-release the book at our expense to ensure the book is to e author's liking.

Tate Publishing

Original review: Jan. 24, 2014

Hello JoAnne! I am a former Tate Publishing employee (using a different name to protect my identity, as they are quite vindictive toward many of us), and I can clarify some of what you're experiencing. Tate is being honest about your sales. I know this is hard to hear, but it's the truth. They lead you to believe they will put your book in all sorts of stores using phrases like "Your book will be made available to outlets across the US." The key words are "made available". This is not the same as "Your book will be IN outlets across the country." But the truth is, they sell five copies to a distributor, then they push YOU to purchase your own copies to sell.

When a publisher releases a book, most bookstores and online outlets do not purchase the book directly from the publisher. Instead, they purchase from a middle-man distributor that keeps vast warehouses of millions of books. Tate uses Ingram, one of the largest distributors in the country. While publishers like, say, RandomHouse, send thousands of copies then market the book to the public in an effort to sell those books. Tate sends five copies, then sends out one press release and doesn't follow up with any press outlets.

The reason you're seeing "sold out" on various websites is that they never actually ordered copies of your book. They posted the book on their website, and at some point someone ordered the book, it was sent from the Ingram warehouse to the website company, they sent it to the purchaser, then Tate never sent Ingram any additional copies. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, JoAnne. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors, and I urge you to begin researching literary agents and querying them. With a proper agent to assist you, you'll have a great weapon against publishers like Tate!

Tate Publishing response

This person claims to be a former Tate employee, though he or she clearly has very limited knowledge of how the book distribution industry actually operates, as is evident by apparently trying to tell authors how we as a publisher send books to distributors. Information here is entirely incorrect. We work with authors to generate demand, and like any business, supply is a result of legitimate demand. Our plan is long-term and enables authors to sell in retail markets and beyond, and it is often the niche market sales that spark the retail demand, which creates more supply.

If this person indeed was an employee, they are breaking the signed confidentiality employee agreement by posting information online following employment termination.

Tate Publishing and Enterprises

Original review: Jan. 21, 2014

I am a published author of two children's books (The Travels of Timmy and Thomas - Trouble In Tumbletown and The Travels of Timmy and Thomas - A Tale of Two Turtles). The books were published in Aug 2011. I have requested several times about press runs, which would be the total amount of books printed and sold. I continue to be ignored with this question. This on-going for about 1.5 years. The publisher WILL NOT account for press runs or total amounts that were sold. This draws a RED FLAG as to NOT use this publisher because they hide information.

According to the contract one would need to sell about 5000 copies in order to make a decent profit and return on royalties. With the amount not being advertised (press runs or totals) one could be stuck on 5 copies sold for years, meanwhile the publisher is raking in the dough behind your back. Also, I have checked several book stores on the internet, over the years and a lot show (sold out). The books are selling, however it's the hidden press runs that remain hidden. This publisher is a scam and a highly shady operation, so my opinion is NOT to use this publisher because they are hiding important author information and keep your profit.

Tate Publishing response

Author complains that we do not give information about print runs. This is a breach of the author's signed confidentiality agreement to air concerns here in this format.

The contract the author signed is very clear that we as the publisher determine the number of books needed for distribution, which is dictated by actual, legitimate consumer demand. Our print technology allows us to print any quantity be it 1 or 10,000 when warranted, and digital technology means publishers no longer operate in the old “print run” mode, which is outdated and not necessary unless the author has purchase orders pending in the tens of thousands prior to publication.

Tate Publishing

Original review: Jan. 17, 2014

I am cautiously satisfied at this point, but we will see. Tate is doing Second Editions for both of these books so they didn't ask me for nearly $4,000 or anything like that. I am happy with the effort they are or have taken with the covers for both books. The cover for ** is super eye-catching and professional. However it remains to be seen what their marketing strategy is and if I will get any Royalties. The books were originally done by iUniverse and we might have gotten $70 in royalties for the two of them together. If a small publishing company with only four employees could sell one of my other books to over 3000 customers, I would have expected more sales from these two which were published after **. I wonder how Tate will do (Loaded meaning).

Tate Publishing response

We are glad to continue working long-term, and we ask that the author here identify herself and contact the assigned staff so that we may pursue more in marketing, be it events, promotion, or publicity.

We provide our marketing strategy to all authors, so there should be nothing unclear about our plan or how we can team together to pursue sales.

Director of Marketing