1.45/5

Mustang, OK

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

255 Tate Publishing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 1, 2015

I am a full-time author. I write a series of adventure travel novels. However, my latest novel was not in my series. I am now working on book number five in my series. All of my books have been published by Tate Publishing. If I had a problem, they solved it! I have had the opportunity to go with other traditional publishers but I have chose to stay with Tate, a decision I have never regretted.

Original review: June 1, 2015

Minus the fact that Tate Publishing has admitted that they didn't have the funds to pay royalties over the last two quarters, I have still not received the hard cover books I ordered from Tate Publishing over 4 months ago. I am now told that Tate outsources their hard cover books. I contacted that bindery and they told me that Tate Publishing is past due on payments and has been banned from printing with them. Tate Publishing is denying to provide me with a refund. How is this possible? How is this legal? I've been told that complaining to the BBB in OK will go unanswered and unresolved because Richard Tate of Tate Publishing is on the BBB board. I have contacted Oklahoma City's Attorney General 405 521 3921. If you are a potential Tate Author take notice now. Please just google them before you pay money to publish or print with them. They are the worst and this has been a miserable experience.

Original review: May 31, 2015

First, authors who are considering using Tate Publishing and/or authors who are experiencing issues with timely book deliveries and royalty payments, contact the Oklahoma Attorney Generals Office (405) 521-3921 http://www.ok.gov/oag/. They can provide the number of complaints filed against Tate Publishing as well as an unbiased opinion about this company.

The first complaint against Tate Publishing on this site was submitted March 28, 2010. Since that time, over 71 authors and online customers of Tate Publishing have posted reviews about their experience with Tate Publishing. The majority of these reviews have been negative. Over the course of three days in May of 2015 Tate Publishing finally responded to these complaints. Notice on the first complaint submitted March 28th, 2010, that Tate Publishing did not respond until May 11th of 2015 to offer some assistance, FIVE years after the complaint was filed. They went on to respond to every complaint over the course of three days.

It appears their three day run of finally responding to customers was a publicity stunt because Consumer Affairs was coming up first on Google searches when a search for Tate Publishing Complaints was performed. Over and over, Tate Publishing talks about giving their authors a positive experience. If this is the case, why did it take years for them to respond to authors concerns and/or complaint? They have yet to respond to complaints filed since their three-day-run of responses. Why have they not responded to these authors?

Tate Publishing claims to only publish 3-4% of manuscripts submitted. The truth is that each Acquisitions Editor has a mandatory number of contracts they must bring in every month. Directors such as Trinity Tate, Dr. Richard Tate and Allen Finch will relentlessly email their staff numerous times every day wanting to know how many potential victims will sign contacts, how many people can they get to sign that day, what is being offered, how many calls are being made to authors, how much money will be brought in by the end of the day etc. Richard Tate has even sent out emails on different occasions telling the Acquisitions Department if they couldn't meet their goal, they should get jobs where they are only required to say "Do you want fries with that?"

Ryan Tate has asked Acquisition Editors who are behind on goal who they would like him to fire since they aren't bringing in enough money. Acquisitions Editors are not questioned about the quality of submissions or books signed, only the amount of money they are bringing in. If they don't meet a certain number of contracts, they are not paid their bonuses and are threatened with losing their jobs. This is the reason they may seem so pushy or desperate for a contract to be signed.

Tate Publishing markets themselves as a "mainline, traditional publisher." I know of no other main-line publisher taking someone else's work (print ready files) and directly publishing them as their own [publishing process]. I also know of no other "main-line traditional publisher" that requires their Acquisitions Editors to bring in a certain number of contracts every month and pays employees based on the quantity of the contracts brought in vs. the quality of contracts brought in.

They promise each author a marketing representative. If you scroll through their website and count the number of books they have published and then divide that number by their six or so marketing representatives, it would appear that each marketing representative would have thousands of authors assigned to them. Can one marketing representative effectively assist thousands of authors at once? This probably explains why authors have such a hard time reaching their marketing representative.

For years Tate Publishing has boasted an A+ rating on the BBB site and often referred customers to that site. Dr. Tate held a position on the board of directors for the Oklahoma Better Business Bureau. Just this week they had no choice but to downgrade their rating from an A+ to a B due to the number of complaints filed by authors regarding their experiences with Tate Publishing. They have a comparison chart on their website and no other publisher comes close to the number of complaints filed against them.

Winters Publishing Group (winterspublishinggroup.com) is being operated by Tate Publishing. The contact phone number on http://www.winterspublishinggroup.com/privacy-policy/ is the same as Tate Publishing's phone number. Tate Publishing has been deceitful before. He claims those positions would be replaced locally when they were eventually picked up in the Philippines. Again, do your research before making any decisions. Call the Oklahoma Attorney General Office at (405) 521-3921 http://www.ok.gov/oag/ and ask their opinion on this business before paying any money to them.

Original review: May 26, 2015

My goodness. I hope to see that Tate even acknowledges me as a Tate author! My name is Ellen Newton Driscoll and my first contract with Tate in 2006 was wonderful and a far cry from my two latest experiences. "When Christians Divorce" was published by Tate in 2006 and co-authored with my mother, Barbara Newton. Tate Publishing could not have been more helpful with that book in every way and so when I looked for a publisher to re-release THE DRAGONS OF CANDLEWOOD and to release HAUNTED LIES I looked no further than Tate.

For over two years, (and yes, that can be verified by saved emails) I have suffered loss of material, little communication which only occurred after I asked ** to help, several staff changes of which I was not privy to until a question or problem arose, mistakes followed by more mistakes, books with my my cover and another author's manuscript inside, and finally left with one mediocre book and one (Haunted Lies) that is merely an embarrassment of uncorrected mistakes. I am so appalled to have my name on this book as Tate should be.

Finally, I wrote Dr. Tate an old fashioned letter with two copies of my request for contract cancellations of both books and all materials returned to me. No response. This time not even my request to ** for help was acknowledged. My health has suffered and I find myself more emotionally upset than I have ever been. I suspect this is due in no small part from the faith I placed in a Christian company that had been such a boon to me in the past. I feel as if a trusted friend has betrayed me. I am now forced to take measures that no Christian should have to take against another Christian. That's a shame.

Original review: May 25, 2015

I'm a children's author and am currently on my 6th book with Tate. Over the years I feel that my relationship has grown into a partnership. My first 4 books were illustrated by an unbelievably talented artist and are a true work of art! He has since left the company. I was nervous going into a 5th book with a different illustrator but Tate listened to my fears and made sure my ideas were heard!

Marketing for any business is difficult, but Tate helps me connect with bookstores and other venues and through those events I've made other connections. I also know I must work hard to get my name out there and network through social media and local and national events to get my name and books out there. I have had a partnership with Tate since 2008 and know that any time I have a question or concern I can contact ** and he knows me and will make sure my questions get answered. I like that about Tate. My dealings with Tate have been in the children's book genre and I have recommended this company to other children's authors. I am excited about my 6th book going into publication and continuing the journey with Tate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tate Publishing?

Original review: May 17, 2015

What I am about to say is true and right to the point. When I signed with Tate, I was promised to be given a professional editing, which & I have gone through numerous, but yet my material is so messed up. Ongoing is the fact that Tate does not edit anything; they gave ideas for changes, which I did correct. Now back to the contract. Once I signed on with them & paid the upfront $4,000, my material was scheduled to begin in 3-4 months, but it was actually 6 months. With that done, and I finally received a PDF back with Tate's ideas of corrections, I was given 10 days to over the draft or start the process over due to being taken too long.

When it comes to the part where Tate claims to mark out the media section and say it's free, it is. But they never do any of the advertising they've claimed they will. If you are reading this & thinking of signing with this company, please, I beg of you, don't. Once they have your money, you are screwed. Keep changing your query letters and sending them in, even if you sent it to a prior agent's office.

Resolution response: July 8, 2015

After a very lengthy conversation with the marketing manager at Tate, he explained to me that changes had been made that would directly affect me for the good. He genuinely apologized for the crazy things that had went on with my account, and explained some of the changes that would prevent these things from happening again. (One of those changes was the termination of an employee that was directly involved with my book.)

He was not defensive, nor abrupt, but instead was kind and informative. He encouraged me, and told me to feel free to contact him again if there was ever an issue. I truly feel heard, and I explained to him that I was willing to start over with a clean slate.

Original review: May 6, 2015

I signed a contract with Tate in January of 2014. I sent in my manuscript at that time. I have been a columnist for the last 8 years, and I knew my way around the "writing crowd" so I ignored all of the online warnings I had read about Tate because I was convinced that, it couldn't happen to me, and I was going to work so hard, their flaws couldn't stop me. I was horribly wrong!

First, it took them SIX edits before we had a finished copy, and guess what? It is still full of flaws. The project manager they assigned me only spoke broken English, and we had such a language barrier, I never could get her to understand the fact that they had butchered basic English grammar. I would send them corrections, and they would literally misspell the changed words so I would have to send it back and ask them to please spell basic words correctly. (I am now paying someone outside of Tate to edit my book before I order any others. I have contacted another publisher and begging them to save me from this nightmare!)

Second, they designed a great cover, but after the book was printed, I looked closely and parts of the artwork was completely blank! They didn't even fill in all of the cover! I had ordered, and PAID FOR, 300 books to sell at my book launch party where 900 people had been invited. And when I had received them, they were unsaleable because they had huge white spots in the artwork. I thought that was horrible, but then I opened the cover...

Had rescheduled the event three times because Tate had printing delays, "machines breaking down", project manager conveniently changing her email address AND phone number and not informing her clients, lost emails on Tate's end, and months with no contact. I had explained to everyone that would listen at the company that I needed these books because I had nothing to sell at the party. I finally got my shipment one week before the party and when I opened the box, all 300 books had the blank spaces on the cover, AND ink splotches on every 10th page! I called and it took my 3 days to get an answer! They had no answers for me as to how this was missed by their supposed "quality control" group. I told them I had this huge launch event and no books, so they said they could only send me 100 books overnight, and I would have to wait on the other 200 that I had already paid for!

Next problem, the website they designed. They put a heading at the top of the page with my name on it, and under my name was supposed to say "author website". They couldnt even get that right! They misspelled author!!!! Seriously! It read "AUHTOR website"! How can a publisher not catch that?!

Then I was sent a note from the marketing department that told me that they contacted 2 bookstores in my area to set up signings. One store, I already had my books on the shelves because I was the one that contacted the store, and the second store was not even in business anymore! (For the record, the marketing agents note literally said, "you can keep trying the store that didn't answer the phone, but we think they may be out of business". That was the extent of their "marketing".)

I have my books in several stores, I have gotten letters from people all over the U.S. that said that they have read my book, and it is being promoted by many businesses online, yet the accounting department at Tate informed me that my royalty check is $6.40. They say I have only sold one book. I called in to ask how that could be, and as usual, they will not let me speak to anyone in that department. I can only talk to my marketing rep who can't even understand my request. She finally asked me to send her an email so she can see if she could get me an answer.

They are the most unprofessional business I have ever seen. They do not return calls, and it takes them forever to fix a problem. I explained to my husband, I can work around most of their inefficiencies, but what I can't fix is the fact that they are literally working against me! I have people begging for my book, yet it has taken a year and a half to get a copy without smudges and flaws! I can't sell something I don't have. As an author, I say please, please, please, don't use Tate. I hate that I have to write this letter, and I stopped myself from doing so on many occasions, but I can no longer be quiet. I can't sit by while they intentionally rip people off.

Original review: April 21, 2015

I am not interested in slandering the company, only stating that my personal satisfaction rating is well below the single star. I don't know why I chose them. I had two other contracts because it was a multiple submission, and I probably should have known something was up because the real ones took 6-8 months to respond, whereas Tate took a couple of days. I think I was swayed because they offered me a publicist and claimed to be a Christian company. Regardless, I turn down offers to speak about my book these days because the entire thing is more of an embarrassment than anything.

I am, however, happy to say that despite my sad beginnings with them and my less than $27 earnings over the last two years have not deterred me, and I was recently a finalist in an International contest sponsored by a major publisher. Oh, and the publicist they promised? The one with Key marketing group? I've never heard anything from them - I just get emails giving me discounts to buy my own book. Worst $3995 I can say I have ever spent (blown). I might as well have burned it.

Tate Publishing response

This is an anonymous post and is impossible to verify, especially since the amount of the contract seems to be incorrect. Also at this date, we can find no author in our database that has the initial of C from Durango. Therefore, we have no choice but to believe this is possibly a paid blogger. As always, any Tate author is encouraged to contact Mark Mingle at 888.361.9473 to discuss any and all marketing issues. He is available from 9-5 CST. We would not ever want a discouraged author, especially since we are adding new options all the time. Tate is probably one of the few, if not the only company, that is willing to start new marketing campaigns at our expense to keep book promotion alive as long as the signed author is engaged and wants to continue working on the book years later. In fact, our contracts pass to the heirs of our authors, so even if something happens to an author, we will gladly continue to work with the author's family. As of this post today, we are adding a new feature to niche market certain apps of your choice to promote our authors books. In fact, authors signing contracts today will receive 1,000,000 impressions running on these sites as our kickoff for this new option. This is a free feature with any author signing today. If this author contacts Mark Mingle today, we will certainly include this author in our impression campaign.

Here is more information from Tate if you are worried about anonymous blogs:

Director of Book Acquisitions

Original review: April 20, 2015

My complaint is similar to what everyone else is complaining about. I recommend to anyone who is considering using Tate Publishing to do the research first. It has been a horrible experience from day one. Unfortunately they use the fact that they are a Christian company to lure you in, but by the way they treat authors and take advantage of them they are by no means representing God or Christians in the manner they should. I am a first time author, like many others who were deceived by this company. I wrote a book about my near death experience and the illness I suffered with for six years before I was healed by God. I am the one who does all the marketing and getting the book out. I am currently still waiting for 100 books I ordered in January and still have not received them.

I pray for the people who are running and working in this company that God will change their hearts and open their eyes so they realize that there's more important things in life than taking advantage of God's people and money. After months of trying to get somewhere with Tate Publishing I have decided that more people need to voice their experience and how they were treated. For me I have learned a lot from this experience and am grateful that I now know not to trust a company who claims that they are Christians.

Tate Publishing response

Author complaint states in this post on April 20, 2015, that she ordered books in January 2015, and she still has not received those book. Here is the tracking number from the shipment that was sent, as well as the author stating she received those books. While this is just the partial file, the author does state she is interested in ordering more books.

Amanda Welch (Feb 27 15 3:57 pm)

Spoke with author, interested in 100 books. Will call back to confirm.

Julianne Taladua (Feb 26 15 1:32 pm)

Julianne, thank you I got them today.. you guys are awesome! Can you tell me when my next order will ship?

Amanda Welch (Feb 23 15 1:53 pm)

Spoke to author, had printing and shipping questions.

Julianne Taladua (Feb 20 15 10:42 am)

Hi, Anita! The books are shipping today. Here's the USPS tracking number - xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx7381. You can check the books through this link below: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=xxxxxxxxxxxxx7381 Thank you! Sincerely,

Julianne Taladua (Feb 19 15 1:36 pm)

Hi, Anita! Your books' estimated time of arrival is on Feb.27th. I'll send you the tracking number when it's already available in the system. Thank you! Sincerely,

Tim Kelley (Feb 11 15 2:25 pm)

Print job converted to FIRM

Amanda Welch (Jan 20 15 4:22 pm)
Product order has been placed.

As far as an author doing all the marketing, we track marketing and keep accurate records of marketing contacts. Please see marketing report for this author.

Farah Morada (Mar 9 15 11:49 am) Edit

Book Store 417 West Cherokee Street, Wagoner, OK +1 918-485-0248 ‎ This number has been disconnected or is no longer in service. Ruth's Christian Book Store 501 North Main Street, Muskogee, OK +1 918-686-0511 We sent event info via email, to nataliechurch@sbcglobal.net. Await reply. We will inform you of any updates. Feel free to follow up with this venue if you do not receive and update in 1-2 weeks. Book Rack 1700 West Shawnee Street, Muskogee, OK +1 918-682-3092 We sent event info via email, to sandra@bccok.com. Await reply. We will inform you of any updates. Feel free to follow up with this venue if you do not receive and update in 1-2 weeks. Blessing Christian Bookstore 930 East Side Boulevard, Muskogee, OK +1 918-686-8442 ‎ This venue politely declined. Campus Book Store 109 Spring Street, Tahlequah, OK +1 918-458-5000 ‎ This venue politely declined.

Kristelle Lyn Estareja (Dec 23 14 2:37 pm) Edit

Ruth's Christian Book Store 501 North Main Street Muskogee, OK +1 918-686-0511 Spoke to Casey James and he said that he needs to speak with the PR person Gail first. Please feel free to follow up with this venue if you do not receive an update in 1-2 weeks.

Allison Winters (Nov 17 14 2:00 pm) Edit

At this time, we are unable to schedule a retail event at the locations we have contacted. If you know of bookstore contacts and stores in your area that host events on a regular basis, please provide us with store addresses and phone numbers. We will gladly make the connection on your behalf.

Allison Winters (Nov 17 14 1:59 pm) Edit

Alpha & Omega Christian Bkstre 9720 E 31st St # A2, Tulsa, OK ‎ (918) 665-2177 ‎notes: WE spoke to the manager when we called. She informed us that this store does not host book signings or book readings. They politely declined.

Allison Winters (Nov 17 14 1:59 pm) Edit

Fine Books 4107 S Yale Ave, Tulsa, OK 74135 (918) 742-7278 NOTE: We spoke to the manager at this location who informed us that they are not hosting any events at this time. They politely declined.

Allison Winters (Nov 17 14 1:59 pm) Edit

Hastings Entertainment 3005 E Frank Phillips Blvd, Bartlesville, OK ‎ (918) 335-0831 NOTE: We spoke to the manager, Rachel, when we called. She informed us that she is not scheduling anymore events until January. She asks that we check back in with her in January.

Allison Winters (Nov 17 14 1:59 pm) Edit

HASTINGS 2230 E. SHAWNEE We spoke to Crystal, the book manager, when we called. She informed us that she will not be scheduling anymore events until December. She asked that we check back in with her then.

Allison Winters (Nov 17 14 1:59 pm) Edit

Mc Huston Booksellers 122 S Main St, Broken Arrow, OK ‎ (918) 258-3301 NOTE: We emailed information about your book to the manager, Larry, via mchuston@cox.net. We await a reply. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time. If they are interested in an event but can't order enough books, please schedule the event date at least 6 weeks out and tell them you will have us contact them to make sure they have books in time. Please notify us immediately of the event date. We will add it to your calendar and make sure books are available for the store to order.

Allison Winters (Nov 17 14 1:59 pm) Edit

Steve's Sundry Books & Magazines 2612 S Harvard Ave, Tulsa, OK ‎ (918) 743-3544 NOTE: This store is now closed.

Allison Winters (Nov 17 14 1:58 pm) Edit

Barnes & Noble 8620 E 71st St, Tulsa, OK ‎ (918) 250-5034 NOTE: We were unable to reach the store manager, Roy, when we called; however, we emailed information about your book, your marketing plan, and out contact info. to his email address, via crm2585@BN.com. We await a reply. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time. If they are interested in an event but can't order enough books, please schedule the event date at least 6 weeks out and tell them you will have us contact them to make sure they have books in time. Please notify us immediately of the event date. We will add it to your calendar and make sure books are available for the store to order.

Allison Winters (Nov 17 14 1:58 pm) Edit

Barnes & Noble Booksellers 5231 E 41st St, Tulsa, OK ‎ Southroads Shopping Center (918) 665-4580 NOTE: We spoke to the book manager, when we called; however, we emailed information about your book, marketing plan, and our contact info. to her via crm2845@BN.com. We await a reply. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time. If they are interested in an event but can't order enough books, please schedule the event date at least 6 weeks out and tell them you will have us contact them to make sure they have books in time. Please notify us immediately of the event date. We will add it to your calendar and make sure books are available for the store to order.

Alianna Gantuangco (Sep 29 14 12:18 am) Edit

An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2014-10-12 was sent to a total of 254 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.

Alianna Gantuangco (Sep 23 14 4:46 am) Edit

An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2014-10-04 was sent to a total of 7 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.

Alianna Gantuangco (Sep 23 14 4:46 am) Edit

An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2014-10-25 was sent to a total of 7 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.

Alianna Gantuangco (Aug 28 14 8:05 pm) Edit

Thank you for notifying us of your event! We have added your 10/12 event to the calendar. We will contact the local media about this event, but keep in mind that success of the event depends heavily on how well you promote it within your own social networks. Please review your events on our public calendar: http://www.tatepublishing.com/calendar.php.

Alianna Gantuangco (Aug 27 14 8:30 pm) Edit

Thank you for notifying us of your event! We have added your 10/25 event to the calendar. We will contact the local media about this event, but keep in mind that success of the event depends heavily on how well you promote it within your own social networks. Please review your events on our public calendar: http://www.tatepublishing.com/calendar.php.

Alianna Gantuangco (Aug 21 14 2:51 am) Edit

Thank you for notifying us of your event! We have added your 10/4 event to the calendar. We will contact the local media about this event, but keep in mind that success of the event depends heavily on how well you promote it within your own social networks. Please review your events on our public calendar: http://www.tatepublishing.com/calendar.php.

Again, we love working with authors, and it is wonderful anytime a Tate author is able to market and sell books. However, no Tate author is left on their own if they have contracted for marketing help. If any author is concerned over marketing or feels they may need more help, please contact Mark Mingle at 888.361.9473, and he will make sure your marketing rep gets in contact with you within 24 hours.

Director of Book Acquisitions

Original review: April 13, 2015

I have contacted BBB at least twice related to Tate Publishing Company. The first time is because I paid $500 for publishing services, more than $400 more for the books and I couldn't get them to send me my products several months after they promised. The second time was because I was to receive my royalty checks in November and it took going through BBB to receive the check the following March. The royalty check was not correct; I know several people who purchased my book through Tate and I have not gotten the royalty from last year (2014) or from this year's (2015) purchases.

I only went through BBB because Tate sent several promises of delivery but never followed through. Imagine, how many books were ordered that I do not know about and Tate hasn't released monies that are mine. They have shown nothing but poor, unscrupulous business practices and I will not use them ever again. I have many contacts with authors and upcoming authors and I tell them DO NOT use Tate.

Tate Publishing response

It is always our desire to make sure authors have a clear understanding of how the publishing industry works, as most new authors are unaware of most aspects of publishing (like distribution, royalties, publicity, etc.). In the case of royalties, we make sure the royalty information and schedule is very clear in our contractual agreement. We always pay royalties on a quarterly basis and we are contractually obligated to keep this timeline - which protects authors. If a check is sent to an old address on file for an author or perhaps is misprinted, Tate Publishing will automatically reissue the check for the author. This author has received all products that have been ordered. They have also received numerous calls and contacts from our marketing department in order to make sure the royalty checks that were sent out arrived safely. When it was discovered the checks had not arrived, the original checks were voided and new checks were immediately re-issued and sent to the author. Also, any purchases from the 1st Quarter of 2015 would not have been received at the time of this post because they are not sent out until the end of the month following the end of the quarter (in this case end of April) as outlined in the contractual agreement. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me or any of our staff. We are glad to help. You can contact us through our website directly: www.tatepublishing.com

Tate Publishing & Ent

Original review: April 11, 2015

There is a long list of misrepresentation I have experienced with Tate Publishing that would take too long to enumerate. Firstly, the quality of editing and layout was at best amateurish. The artwork for the cover which I had supplied was botched after having corrected several times. Someone else was given credit, and named on their credits. There is no marketing on their part to speak of, though early on much was claimed to be offered.

Tate Publishing has given my book to many "book distributing outlets” selling the book for 1 dollar above what is their wholesale cost - leaving me with a gain of 60 cents for a number of books sold - without providing my mailing address to forward, what little there is of a return from sales from Amazon. Recently, half price was offered for purchasing my book in quantity. When I inquired about this, I was told my price was 4 dollars a copy, implying the book would cost me 8 dollars. Otherwise, my book is sold for 11 dollars. In the name of Jesus, I feel abused by Tate.

Tate Publishing response

I want to take a moment to address these concerns and misunderstandings because the information provided by the author is inaccurate. Our focus and desire is always to make sure that the end result of production, the finished book, is the way the author wants it. Regarding the editing, cover design, and production process – the author must sign off on approval forms before the book is moved to the next phase. If an author is not happy with all/part of the work, they need not sign the form stating they approve of the work as is until they are ready to move forward. If changes are needed, we will make them in order to please the author.

As for our marketing efforts and the author's claim that no marketing or contacts have been made, I am happy to address this, too. The author's weekly marketing reports show numerous venues and locations where our team has contacted on the author's behalf in order to set up events and book signings. A number of book signings were setup and many other locations were contacted but declined to host any events for this author. As late as February of this year, our team reached out to the author to ask for more locations or niche opportunities that we could contact for the author. We did not receive any follow up or additional venue information from our inquiry but one of our marketing consultants, Amanda, received an email from this author in April saying: "Amanda, I think you are doing a great job reaching out, joe."

It has always been, and will always be, our desire to work with authors at the highest level and to make sure that any and all problems, concerns, questions, and needs are handled and addressed head on. As we have indicated to this author, and any potential authors who have questions, you can always reach our staff at our toll free number: 888.361.9473. Also, you can see more information and hear more testimonials at our website: https://www.tatepublishing.com/testimonials.php

I am happy to help in any way I can. Please feel free to give me a call with any questions or other needs. Be blessed!

Tate Publishing & Ent.

Original review: April 9, 2015

This was my first novel. I had sent my manuscript in to several publishing companies and nothing came of it. I sent it to Tate, and within a short time, I had someone call me and wanted to publish the book. They sent me a contract and I had our lawyer look it over. He said, it was a legal contract and if we wanted to go for it, ok. Of course our "cost" was $3,900. We began making payments, I even emptied my 401 K from my last job but we got it done. They, "promised" a TV commercial of the book, never done, they promised to promote the book, I had two places in Florida for book signings, and both of them were closed!!! I have asked for a total of the books sold, didn't get it until I threatened to get hold of the President of the company then, we received some information but, we don't know how accurate it is. I have received less than $4 in royalties and the book has been out now, three years.

They had promised me a website too, never got it. The edits that they supposedly had done on the book ended up with more mistakes than I had done myself. I had gone over my book numerous times and fixed them, when they did the book, it has multiple mistakes that my manuscript does not have on it on my own computer. They are indeed scam artists! My husband and I want my contract, revoked, and we want the past due royalties that we have not received and we want the original sum charged us, $3,900 repaid to us for a service never done or completed! No number for the order, but the contract was signed September 9, 2011.

Tate Publishing response

This author states that the contract was fully reviewed and given approval to move forward from her lawyer. We understand the great importance of having a truly author friendly, legal contract that meets the standards of our legal system. We also, however, work to make sure we not only abide by the law and the contract but that we do right and make sure that we take care of our authors to the very best of our abilities. We do not promise things that cannot be delivered and those things that we do agree to, we make sure they are accomplished and done at the highest quality. In this instance, all contractual elements were handled and completed including the commercial and the website.

It is in the marketing elements that authors can get frustrated because there are no guarantees and things completely out of anyone's control. For example, the book stores can cancel an event just because and there isn't anything we can do other than try and reschedule or find a new location. That is what we have done for this author. Regarding the marketing and other elements the author claims are missing or lacking, I have copied marketing notes below showing where our teams have worked to created events and opportunities for the author to promote and sell the book. The author also signed final approval forms stating that the editing, design, layout, cover, etc. were all approved by the author and ready to move forward to print.
Britni Norris (Dec 9 14 1:38 pm)
Kalama Koffee Company 724 NE Frontage Rd Kalama, WA 98625 Phone number (360) 673-3913 Notes: We were unable to reach anyone at this location when we called; however, we left information about your book on the voicemail. We were unable to locate an email address to send information. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time.
Chinook Coffee Roasters 409 N 5th St Kalama, WA 98625 Phone number (360) 673-5333 Notes: This is not a working number.
Calliope Coffee 1230 N. Hendrickson Dr Kalama, WA 98625 Phone number (360) 673-3399 Notes: We were unable to reach Alexis, the manager, when we called. We have scheduled a date to follow up and will inform you if they are able to arrange a date. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time. If they are interested in an event but can't order enough books, please schedule the event date at least 6 weeks out and tell them you will have us contact them to make sure they have books in time. Please notify us immediately of the event date. We will add it to your calendar and make sure books are available for the store to order.
Paperbacks Galore 1044 14th Ave Longview, WA 98632 Phone number (360) 423-9006 Notes: We were unable to reach Janet, the manager, when we called. We have scheduled a date to follow up and will inform you if they are able to arrange a date. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time. If they are interested in an event but can't order enough books, please schedule the event date at least 6 weeks out and tell them you will have us contact them to make sure they have books in time. Please notify us immediately of the event date. We will add it to your calendar and make sure books are available for the store to order.
Word For Word Books & Espresso 293 S 1st St St. Helens, OR 97051 Phone number (503) 369-6910 Notes: We left a voicemail on what seemed like a personal voicemail. We were also unable to locate an email address to send information. The website is not working. Please follow up if you believe this location remains in business.
Read A Book 402 S Pacific Ave Kelso, WA 98626 Phone number (360) 578-3375 Notes: This location does not host events.
Kalama Library 312 N 1st St Kalama, WA 98625 Phone number (360) 673-4568 Notes: We were unable to reach this location. We left a voicemail and sent information to the email addresses listed online, louise@kalamalibrary.org and molly@kalamalibrary.org. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time. If they are interested in an event but can't order enough books, please schedule the event date at least 6 weeks out and tell them you will have us contact them to make sure they have books in time. Please notify us immediately of the event date. We will add it to your calendar and make sure books are available for the store to order.
Longview Public Library 1600 Louisiana St Longview, WA 98632 Phone number (360) 442-5300 Notes: We spoke with Chris, the manager, and he requested information about your book be sent to his email address, chris.skaugset@ci.longview.wa.us. We sent the information and await reply. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time. If they are interested in an event but can't order enough books, please schedule the event date at least 6 weeks out and tell them you will have us contact them to make sure they have books in time. Please notify us immediately of the event date. We will add it to your calendar and make sure books are available for the store to order.
Amanda Sartain (Feb 11 13 3:24 pm)
An event announcement for your upcoming event on Feb-23-2013 was sent to a total of 57 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Jessica Strebeck (Feb 7 13 1:59 pm)
Your upcoming event on Feb. 23rd at Kalama Coffee has been confirmed by the venue. If you have not already done so, please call the venue within a few days to set up an appointment in advance to discuss event details and to drop off all promotional materials. You will need to provide books to sell on the day of the event.
Britni Norris (Jan 17 13 2:00 pm)
St Helens Book Shop 58527 Columbia River Highway # A, St. Helens, OR (503) 397-4917 Notes: We spoke with Lori, the owner, and she mentioned that she is downsizing her store. She asked that you follow up in a month or so and she will speak more about the possibility of doing an event, if they are still hosting and scheduling.
Britni Norris (Jan 17 13 2:00 pm)
Paperbacks Galore 1044 14th Avenue, Longview, WA (360) 423-9006 Notes: We were informed that this location does not have the space to host events.
Britni Norris (Jan 17 13 2:00 pm)
Word for Word Books 293 South 1st Street, St. Helens, OR (503) 369-6910 Notes: This location declined.
Britni Norris (Jan 17 13 2:00 pm)
Read A Book 402 South Pacific Avenue, Kelso, WA (360) 578-3375 Notes: This location does not host events.
Britni Norris (Jan 17 13 2:00 pm)
Barnes & Noble 7700 Northeast Vancouver Plaza Drive, Vancouver, WA (360) 253-9007 Notes: We spoke with Shawn, the manager, and he requested information be sent to his email address, crm2679@bn.com. He mentioned they do a local author event in the summer and he will review the information for a possible inclusion. We sent the information and await reply. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time.
Nick Potter (Jan 2 13 3:49 pm)
Kalama Coffee. 724 Northeast Frontage Road Kalama, WA 98625. (360) 673-3913. Shirley- kalamakoffee@yahoo.com; (360) 673-3913. Event Scheduled � Event Date: Saturday, February 23rd, 1-3pm. Location: Kalama Coffee. 724 Northeast Frontage Road Kalama, WA 98625. (360) 673-3913. Contact: Shirley- kalamakoffee@yahoo.com; (360) 673-3913.
Travis King (Aug 24 12 10:56 am)
An event announcement for your upcoming event on Sep-08-2012 was sent to a total of 76 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Christina Gray (Aug 13 12 11:47 am)
We see that your 9/08 event is still unconfirmed on our calendar please confirm this event on the event form that was initially sent to you . If you are unable to do so please contact me today to confirm this event. If you need to reschedule this event please contact the venue today to reschedule and let us know the finalized details immediately. If we do not hear from you within the next week we will need to cancel this event.
Kylee Turner (Aug 2 12 1:27 pm)
Event Scheduled -- Event Date: Saturday, September 8th from 6:30 p.m. - 8 p.m. Location: Sacred Grounds Coffee House 4819 E Busch Blvd # 104 Tampa, FL 33617 (813) 983-0837. Contact: Karen at sacredgroundstampa@gmail.com.
Kylee Turner (Jul 25 12 2:42 pm)
We were unable to secure a niche event for you at this time. To better help us, please provide a list of places in your area that you know schedule signings, or places that you normally visit. Be creative and think of areas that usually host events or that fit in with your niche.
Kylee Turner (Jul 25 12 2:42 pm)
Coffee Beanery 17032 Palm Pointe Dr Tampa, FL 33647 (813) 977-7400 We left a detailed voicemail. Await reply. We will inform you of any updates. Please feel free to follow up with this venue if you haven't received an update in 1-2 weeks.
Kylee Turner (Jul 25 12 2:42 pm)
Joffrey's Coffee & Tea Co 1600 E 8th Ave, Tampa, FL 33605-3743 (813) 247-4600. joffreysybor@live.com We were instructed to send event information to joffreysybor@live.com. Await reply. We will inform you of any updates. Please feel free to follow up with this venue if you haven't received an update in 1-2 weeks.
Kylee Turner (Jul 25 12 2:42 pm)
International Cafe 601 East Twiggs Street, Tampa, FL 33602 (813) 218-3735. Contact Ben at binh.ng@verizon.net We were unable to reach anyone by phone so we emailed Ben at binh.ng@verizon.net. Await reply. We will inform you of any updates. Please feel free to follow up with this venue if you haven't received an update in 1-2 weeks.
Kylee Turner (Jul 25 12 2:42 pm)
Cafe Hey 1540 N. Franklin Avenue, Tampa, FL 33602 (813) 221-5150 ‎- Contact Anne at cafehey@gmail.com. We left a detailed message for Anne. Await reply. We will inform you of any updates. Please feel free to follow up with this venue if you haven't received an update in 1-2 weeks.
Kylee Turner (Jul 25 12 2:42 pm)
Sacred Grounds Coffee House 4819 E Busch Blvd # 104 Tampa, FL 33617 (813) 983-0837 Karen at sacredgroundstampa@gmail.com We were unable to reach anyone by phone so we emailed Karen at sacredgroundstampa@gmail.com. Await reply. We will inform you of any updates. Please feel free to follow up with this venue if you haven't received an update in 1-2 weeks.
Christina Gray (Jul 18 12 4:45 pm)
We were just informed that the venue He the Rose of Sharon 1517 East Fowler Avenue, Tampa, FL is closing, the event on 8/04/12 has been cancelled and taken off the events calendar. We apologize for the cancellation and we will schedule you more events in the future!
Britni Norris (Jun 20 12 11:51 am)
He The Rose Of Sharon 1517 East Fowler Avenue, Tampa, FL (813) 443-4593 Notes: We scheduled a book signing for you at this location for Saturday, August 4 at 1:00 p.m. This is a bookstore connected to a ministry. Please contact Nancy, the owner, as soon as possible to confirm your attendance. Please reply to us within 5 days with confirmation or we will cancel the event. You will need to bring copies of your book to the event and it will be arranged on a 60/40 consignment. The sales will go through the store and they will issue you payment for 60% of the event sales following the signing. Also, please take or send posters/promotional material and a book by the store at least two weeks before the event. The manager informed us that success of the event at the store will depend heavily on your promotion within your network of friends, family, and social groups. Please make sure you are informing and promoting the event; otherwise, there will likely be few attendees. We will be blitzing the media within the area about two weeks prior to the event to raise as much visibility for you as we can. Be sure to actively engage with customers and have a great event!
Britni Norris (Jun 15 12 9:44 am)
Jesus Loves You Christian Books 1030 N Plantation Dr, Kissimmee, FL (407) 591-6196 Notes: We were unable to reach anyone at this location when we called. However, we left a message with information about your book on a voicemail. We visited the website, and we believe this is an online only store; however, they may be interested in stocking your book. We sent information to the email address listed on the website, jesuslovesyouchristianbooks@gmail.com. We currently await reply. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time.
Britni Norris (Jun 15 12 9:44 am)
Books-Books-Books 2442 South Volusia Avenue, Orange City, FL (386) 774-7155 Notes: This store does not host events.
Britni Norris (Jun 15 12 9:44 am)
Joyful Reader Bookstore 1801 Rouse Road, Orlando, FL (407) 282-5866 Notes: We received a fax tone after a few rings, each time we called. Please follow up if you believe this location remains in business.
Britni Norris (Jun 15 12 9:44 am)
Book Rack 125 West Mckey Street, Ocoee, FL (407) 905-0279 Notes: This store does not host events.
Britni Norris (Jun 15 12 9:44 am)
Brightlight Books 161 East State Road 436, Fern Park, FL (407) 622-6657 Notes: This location does not host events.
Britni Norris (Jun 15 12 9:44 am)
The Book Worm 2400 E Washington St, Orlando, FL (407) 898-7888 ‎ � Notes: Unfortunately, this store does not have the space to host events, so the manager politely declined.
Britni Norris (Jun 15 12 9:43 am)
Book Warehouse of Orlando 5250 International Dr # 326, Orlando, FL (407) 248-1531 Notes: This location does not host events.
Britni Norris (Jun 15 12 9:43 am)
Longs Christian Book and Outlet 1140 East Altamonte Drive #1028, Altamonte Springs, FL Prairie Lake Plaza (407) 339-0770 Notes: This location does not host events.
Britni Norris (Jun 15 12 9:43 am)

Christian Supplies Inc 3103 West Colonial Drive, Orlando, FL (407) 293-3398 Notes: We spoke with G.W., the manager, and he informed us that he must see a review copy to approve stocking in the store. When he reviews the book and if he approves stocking, he will be interested in speaking with you about an event. Please mail a copy to the address above at the attention of G.W. Please include your contact information, so that he may reach out to you if he is interested in stocking and hosting an event.

We are always eager to continue working with all our authors and make more contacts, discuss new ideas, and provide any other information needed. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call or contact us. www.tatepublishing.com/testimonials.php

Tate Publishing & Ent

Original review: March 31, 2015

Sadly, given their claim to be a Christian company, I believed their statements. My complaints are the same as everyone else. I was forced to do the editing myself, as I never knew who was on first base. I had suffered 9 years of abuse and 51 years of consequences. I wanted to donate part of the book sales for programs for foster children so they would have resources to deal with the pain.

I had gone through 7 surgeries, two years in long term care and just before my book went to press, I realized the editing had been done on an old copy. They were going to go ahead and publish and even given my new, upcoming right hip surgery. I sat in agony for days and re-edited my entire copy. I even have an email from the management thanking me for all my hard work. But the worst was yet to come. My best friend immediately purchased a book from Tate publishing and I never was paid. They insisted I provide her credit receipt to get paid. I wonder how many other sales were never reported to me.

When I received my 1099 for year-end 2014, it said I had received 22+ in royalties. I have never received a dime. I am writing to the IRS today and report this. They tell me they are going to send me an accounting of how many books I have purchased. Should be an easy thing to do, unless you are selling books out the back door as author purchased, as has been reported in past complaints. I worked for an attorney for 7 years, was the executive director of a large foundation for years. My sister has worked for one of the largest law firms in the world for 33 years and I am considering putting together a class-action lawsuit to put these crooks out of business.

Tate Publishing response

This post is very disappointing to say the least because it is from an anonymous author who I am unable to help (because of that). We strive to make sure all our authors are cared for and their projects are completed timely but, more importantly, in a manner that is honoring to their work because we know how special these works are to the writers and creators.

It is absolutely incorrect that we move forward with the publishing of work without the author personally signing off on our approval forms. If changes are needed, we take care of those before moving forward so that the author is happy with the finished project.

Regarding the royalties, we pay out all royalties (as outlined in the contract) at the end of the quarter in which we receive those payments from our distribution networks. So, when an author's book is purchased the royalties are paid out once the distributor has paid out royalties to Tate Publishing. This can, at times, take two or more quarters to be received. However, as soon as those royalties are received, they are paid out to the author immediately upon the end of that quarter.

Again, I am disappointed in the false claims and anonymity of this post...as well as the accusations regarding our faith and beliefs as a company. We strive to be a blessing to our authors and to the ministries we partner with. We also strive to be a successful and industry-leading company so that we can provide the services and support that our authors need and desire. If there are any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. www.tatepublishing.com

Tate Publishing & Ent

Original review: March 20, 2015

I shopped around when thinking about getting my book published. Being new to this and very inexperienced I was thrilled when I was contacted by acquisitions editor **. His calm, yet seemingly honest demeanor made me think I could trust what he was telling me. When it came to the money aspects, I said forget it. 3900.00 may as Well have been 39 million in my financial state.

The next day he called and said that he believed I had something that could potentially sell, so how about this for a leap if faith, we kick in a thousand and drop the price to 3000. I found someone who believes in me and she put up the 3000.00. As I had said to him, this is everything to me. I will have to sell my car to repay this debt. Again, I was assured it is always a gamble, but he knows his business, and he believes this is worth taking.

The next day the wonderful emails began. Welcome to Tate Publishing, we are excited about your book, blah, blah, get ready for lots of conference calls, emails, etc. It has been 7 months and outside of the computer generated emails, I have never heard from ANYONE with the exception of two other Tate employees wanting more money for a book design, and do I want to print my book in Spanish. I am sick over this. I an embarrassed and humiliated every time someone ask when my book will come out. I cannot afford a lawyer, so it looks like I start walking. I have no other way to repay the person that believed in me, and believed in the Tate contract. So, if you are looking for a publisher, heed my warning. DO NOT SIGN ON WITH TATE PUBLISHING! They are willful liars, and con artist. What did I get for my 3000.00 dollars? I now trust NO ONE! I'm a little colder, but so much wiser.

Tate Publishing response

Please allow me to respond to this post and provide the facts and information about this particular project. This author signed and began production 7 months ago (normal production timelines are 6-9 months depending on what is needed). At this point, all production work has been completed, including editing, layout, and an initial cover. The author was not happy with the initial cover and has very specific desires on the look. These specifics include illustration elements that are beyond what is included in the contract but we are absolutely happy to provide those services to make sure the book is exactly the way the author wants it. While waiting on information and a decision regarding the cover design from the author, our production team continued to move forward with the layout design of the book. This was to make sure nothing was delayed and we could finalize and be ready for distribution as soon as the cover was approved. Nothing is moved forward until the author signs the final approval form. We are always happy and eager to work with an author to fix any and all issues or concerns they have regarding their book project. In this instance, an author's frustration caused them to post this message - which is inaccurate and is not helpful to the process. Our desire, always, is to provide the work and services that our author's want and need - and our team has not stopped working with this particular author to get the production finished and to her liking.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact my team or me. www.tatepublishing.com

Tate Publishing & Ent

Original review: March 18, 2015

I submitted my manuscript and my $4000 to Tate over a year ago and my book STILL is not published! ALL the things they promise you are to get your money THEN once they have it...good luck! When there was no contact coming up on the time they said it would be published, I tried to contact them. I left messages and sent multiple e-mails...no response for WEEKS...no exaggeration...WEEKS at a time. They tell you up front that that they have an editing team... that is a lie... it's a CORRECTIONS team. i.e., YOU do all the reading through and correcting plus you have a friend do the same and sign off that the book is okay... then they make the corrections YOU suggest and nothing more!

Once you start complaining and actually talking to people, each one tells you something a little different and trying to keep up with what the truth is like trying to herd cats! They tell you the $4000 fee is for a professional promotions team...they will design a website, get you book signings and even make commercials for you. At this point...13 months in...I have seen NONE of that. They just keep passing the buck and giving you vague answers. I finally got a response after threatening legal action by registered letter...however, they once again didn't follow through!!!! Find another company, friend!

Tate Publishing response
I want to take a moment to address the concerns posted by this author regarding the publishing and production process of this author's first book. It is absolutely our desire to provide solid, clear communication from our staff...and to receive the same from our authors. It is also our desire to make sure we are continuing to move forward in a timely manner to finalize the book production process as quickly as possible...but not rushed and hurried in a way that causes errors or unnecessary frustrations.
This author is in the production process and has had continual contact with our staff to work and get this book completed. At one point, the author and our Director of Project Management met and discussed all the details and needs for this project and those were all taken care of. The final approval forms were all signed and approved by the author...so that we were able to move into the marketing, promotion, and distribution phase. None of those marketing elements – including any book signings or other marketing – would begin when the book is still in production. The website, however, was completed – contrary to the writings of the author in this post. Here is the author's website, designed by Tate Publishing: http://stevecrino.tateauthor.com/

We are excited to be moving forward with this author and his book project...and look forward to great success for his work and ministry! Please let us know if there are any other questions or concerns. We are happy to address them. www.tatepublishing.com/testimonials.php

Tate Publishing & Ent

Original review: March 8, 2015

I am a self published author and have had experiences with a few other publishing companies before meeting an individual who worked with Tate Publishing. Now, I must point out that I had made some profit with the other companies but the progress was slow and I was given the impression that an association with Tate would be a much more profitable experience for me; nothing could be further than the truth. I have published three books with this company and this is basically because I am afraid to pull them off the site and start all over again. In the years I have been associated with this company- I have received nothing. I am supposed to receive fifteen percent profit on a product I basically paid to have produced; in effect, I am paying them to pay them again.

I still have three books for sale with another company, so I have something to compare them to. The contrast is startling- I rarely receive any information regarding sales- when I do receive something from their marketing department (which I feel has a lot of nerve calling themselves a marketing department) it is usually for a book signing they set up for me which they do little if nothing to promote. While the other company does not arrange book signings, I still make more sales online that I can actually track. I have also signed books that Tate had released for sale on Amazon and have no record or monetary result from these sales.

While the original publishing experience with Tate was not unpleasant- they actually do make an effort to go through the motions of a professional business; their editing process leaves a lot to be desired and after the first editor I dealt with- (who was excellent- but unfortunately quit) I have had to basically do most of the editing myself and still catch errors even after they have "done their job".

The Marketing department- which I return my eye to at this time is a cruel joke- their job seems to be to sell my own books to me. Any enquiries I make regarding sales or marketing plans (both e-mails and phone calls) are totally ignored except for those in which I mention purchasing some books- those are answered with lightning quick responses. And while I might add that it is always nice to make new friends- my author representative, marketing representative etc... seems to change frequently so I am never quite sure who I am either supposed to complain to or refer to for future orders or needs.

As a self-published author I fully expect to some work to promote my work but I am doing all of the promoting. Any media coverage I have gotten to date has been a result of my own efforts. I was promised a video trailer for this last book which I never received and when I mentioned it, I received no reply- I am still asking, but no reply. I have encountered other authors with this company and they have all expressed the same complaints. This whole experience has been frustrating and disappointing. I would strongly advise against having any association with this company.

Tate Publishing response
The information information included in this post is inaccurate and misleading. The author and post-writer is a multiple project author and has voluntarily signed three separate contractual agreements on three separate occasions. Therefore, it would seem that author has chosen repeatedly to move forward with Tate Publishing. We have also completed the commercial advertising trailers - the first one in 2012 and the other in 2013. If a new commercial trailer is needed, we are happy to provide that for the author.
As for the claims of the author, these are unrealistic expectations about the publishing industry in general. Much has been done (and is still being done) for the promotion and marketing of these works. Below are marketing notes from these projects which show work that our teams are doing for this author.
Madel Loyola (Mar 16 15 10:35 am)
Submitted eBook to Kindle, Nook, iBooks, and Baker & Taylor. Your eBook is available at TatePublishing.com/bookstore now. It will be available in the stores for these devices in 3-5 weeks.
Alianna Gantuangco (Feb 12 15 12:48 am)
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2015-02-21 was sent to a total of 5 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Farah Morada (Dec 4 14 3:00 pm)
Event Scheduled – Event Date: February 21, 1-3PM. Location: Altus Public Library, 421 N Hudson St, Altus, OK. Contact: Donna, +1 580-477-2890/dsmith@spls.lib.ok.us
Farah Morada (Dec 4 14 2:52 pm)
Event Scheduled – Event Date: February 7, 1-3PM. Location: Dairy Queen, 14251 HWY 287 E, Chillicothe, TX. Contact: Kristi (manager), +1 940-852-5541
Traci Jones Nix (Jul 28 13 6:20 pm)
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2013-08-10 was sent to a total of 150 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Jessica Strebeck (Jun 17 13 9:49 am)
Thank you for confirming your 8/10 event at Credo House. Do NOT call this venue to confirm. They only ask for you to hang a flier on their community board a week or two before the event. On the day of the event, you'll need to arrive early to select where you'll set up. For more tips on how to have a successful event, please look over the Book Signing Tips in the marketing guide at http://marketing.tateauthor.com/ (Username: marketing Password: service!)
Zach Green (Jun 14 13 3:27 pm)
Credo House Coffee Shop. 109 NW 142nd St Edmond, OK 73013. "Event Scheduled -- Event Date: Saturday, August 10th 1-3pm Location: Credo House Coffee Shop 109 NW 142nd St Edmond, OK 73013
Amanda Sartain (May 6 13 3:12 pm)
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2013-05-18 was sent to a total of 186 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Jessica Strebeck (Apr 29 13 10:40 am)
Your upcoming event on 5/18 at Full Circle Bookstore has been confirmed by the venue. You will need to bring books to the event. You should have already confirmed your attendance with the venue contact, but this is a good time to touch base with them again to discuss any last minute details and to ensure they have your promotional items on display. Please review the marketing guide for book signing tips and have a great event!
Amanda Sartain (Apr 2 13 1:10 pm)
An event announcement for your upcoming event on Apr-13-2013 was sent to a total of 21 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Jessica Strebeck (Mar 19 13 2:27 pm)
Your upcoming event on 4/13 at Hastings has been confirmed by the venue, and they will have books on hand for you to sell. If you have not already done so, please call the venue within a few days to set up an appointment to discuss event details and to drop off all promotional materials. Have a great event!
Jessica Strebeck (Feb 7 13 11:41 am)
Thank you for confirming the event at Full Circle Bookstore, scheduled for 2013-05-18. We have added it to the public events calendar. If you have not already done so, please call the venue within a few days to set up an appointment in advance to discuss event details. Please remember to drop off all promotional materials at least two weeks in advance. You will need to provide books to sell on the day of the event.
Media alerts will be sent out to the local press a couple weeks prior to the event. Please utilize your own network, community, and social sites to further the success of this event. Please invite 15 - 20 people to attend the event. Remember that the E-vite template we have provided for you is a great way to let your friends and family know about your upcoming events. This is a useful tool to keep on file for every event. For additional event tips please refer to your marketing guide.
Merlyn Oommen (Feb 6 13 3:26 pm)
Full Circle Bookstore 1900 Northwest Expy, Oklahoma City, OK Penn Square Mall (405) 842-2900 Notes: We scheduled a book signing for you at this store on Saturday, May 18th from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. Please refer to your event confirmation email for details.
Jessica Strebeck (Feb 1 13 9:13 am)
Thank you for confirming the event at Hastings, scheduled for 2013-04-13. We have added it to the public events calendar. If you have not already done so, please call the venue within a few days to set up an appointment in advance to discuss event details. They will be ordering copies of your book. Please remember to drop off all promotional materials at least two weeks in advance. You will need to bring extra books on the day of the event in case stock runs out.
Merlyn Oommen (Jan 31 13 12:38 pm)
Hastings 616 NW Sheridan Rd, Lawton, OK (580) 248-0392 Notes: We scheduled a book signing for you at this store on Saturday, April 13th from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Please refer to your event confirmation email for details.
Amanda Sartain (Jan 29 13 7:49 pm)
An event announcement for your upcoming event on Feb-09-2013 was sent to a total of 40 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Jessica Strebeck (Jan 24 13 1:11 pm)
Your upcoming event on Feb. 9th at Altus Public Libary has been confirmed by the venue. If you have not already done so, please call the venue within a few days to set up an appointment in advance to discuss event details and to drop off all promotional materials. You will need to provide books to sell on the day of the event.
Jessica Strebeck (Jan 16 13 2:04 pm)
Your upcoming event on Jan. 25 at Enchanted Door has been confirmed by the venue. If you have not already done so, please call the venue immediately to set up an appointment with them to discuss event details and to drop off all promotional material and books to be sold on the day of the event.
Amanda Sartain (Jan 10 13 4:16 pm)
An event announcement for your upcoming event on Jan-25-2013 was sent to a total of 40 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Amanda Sartain (Jan 9 13 10:02 am)
An event announcement for your upcoming event on Jan-19-2013 was sent to a total of 40 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Christina Carmack (Jan 4 13 3:44 pm)
Submitted updated description to Ingram, Amazon, and B&N.
Merlyn Oommen (Dec 28 12 10:43 am)
We are seeing a limited number of retail venues in your area. If you know of locations in your area that host events on a regular basis, please provide us with any store addresses and phone numbers and we will make the connection on your behalf. If you are unsure of venues that host events in your area, please let us know the distance you are willing to travel and we will expand our search to those areas.
Merlyn Oommen (Dec 28 12 10:43 am)
On the Corner 301 North Hudson Street, Altus, OK (580) 480-0057 Notes: After several attempts we were unable to reach anyone at this number. Please follow up in person if you still believe it to be in business.
Jessica Strebeck (Dec 4 12 8:07 am)
Event Scheduled � Event Date: Friday, January 25th from 1 to 3 p.m. Location: Enchanted Door, 111 West Commerce Street, Altus, OK 73521. (580) 477-0004 Contact: Lisa, enchanteddoor@hotmail.com
Jessica Strebeck (Dec 3 12 3:57 pm)
Event Scheduled � Event Date: Saturday, February 9th from 1 to 3 p.m. Location: Altus Public Library, 421 North Hudson Street, Altus, OK 73521. (580) 477-2890 Contact: Donna, dsmith@spls.lib.ok.us
Jessica Strebeck (Dec 3 12 3:55 pm)
Enchanted Door. 111 West Commerce Street, Altus, OK 73521. (580) 477-0004. We sent event info to Lisa, enchanteddoor@hotmail.com. Await reply. We will inform you of any updates. Feel free to follow up with this venue if you do not receive an update in 1-2 weeks
Jessica Strebeck (Dec 3 12 3:55 pm)
Confectionately Yours Sweets. 106 West Cypress Street, Altus, OK 73521. (580) 482-7007. Doris would love to meet you and asked if you would stop by the shop to discuss event possibilities. We sent event info to Doris, djouett@sbcglobal.net. Await reply. We will inform you of any updates.
Christina Carmack (Nov 30 12 3:14 pm)
Submitted to Mercury buyer for review and consideration. We await their reply regarding the status of your book.
Merlyn Oommen (Nov 20 12 3:57 pm)
Hastings 1700 North Main Street #2, Altus, OK (580) 477-4140 Notes: We scheduled a book signing for you at this store on Saturday, January 19th from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Please refer to your event confirmation email for details.
Christina Carmack (Oct 11 12 11:40 am)
Submitted eBook to Kindle and Nook
Madel Loyola (Mar 16 15 10:38 am)
Alianna Gantuangco (Feb 12 15 12:48 am)
Alianna Gantuangco (Dec 28 14 10:12 pm)
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2015-01-10 was sent to a total of 5 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Farah Morada (Dec 4 14 3:08 pm)
Braum's Ice Cream & Dairy Store 2505 N Main St, Altus, OK +1 580-482-6586 We left a message for the owner and await a reply. We will inform you of any updates. Please feel free to follow up with this venue if you do not receive an update in 1-2 weeks. DSO Yogurt & Crepes 1705 Cumberland St, Vernon, TX +1 940-553-1755 Failed to establish call. Margaret Carder Library 201 W Lincoln St, Mangum, OK +1 580-782-3185 We sent event info via email, to mangumlibrary@gmail.com. Await reply. We will inform you of any updates. Feel free to follow up with this venue if you do not receive and update in 1-2 weeks.
Farah Morada (Dec 4 14 3:00 pm)
Farah Morada (Dec 4 14 2:48 pm)
Allison Winters (Nov 24 14 10:26 am)
Dusty Covers Book Store & Coffee Shop 211 E Broadway St, Altus, OK 73521 (580) 482-2665 notes: We were unable to reach anyone at this location when we called; however, we left information about your book on the voicemail. We were unable to locate an email address to send information to. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time.
Allison Winters (Nov 24 14 10:25 am)
Book Exchange Book Store 118 N Oklahoma Ave, Mangum, OK 73554 (580) 782-5350 notes: We spoke to the store owners, Roy and Opal Brown, when we called. They seemed interested, but informed us that they would not commit to an event until they met the author and discussed the details with him in person. If you are interested in an event at this location, please stop by and speak to Roy or Opal and bring a review copy of your book for them to review. If they are interested in an event but can't order enough books, please schedule the event date at least 6 weeks out and tell them you will have us contact them to make sure they have books in time. Please notify us immediately of the event date. We will add it to your calendar and make sure books are available for the store to order.
Allison Winters (Nov 24 14 10:24 am)
Paperbacks Etc Book Store 900 N Park Ln, Altus, OK 73521 (580) 477-2131 notes: This number is no longer in service.
Allison Winters (Nov 24 14 10:24 am)
Hastings 616 NW SHERIDAN ROAD Lawton, OK 73505 (580) 248-0392 notes: We were unable to reach Paige, the manager, when we called. We have scheduled a date to follow up and will inform you if they are able to arrange a date.
Allison Winters (Nov 21 14 4:36 pm)
EVENT: INGRAM: Hastings Entertainment 1700 N Main St #2, Altus, OK (580) 477-4140 Notes: We scheduled a book signing for you at this location for Saturday, January 10th from 1:00-3:00 p.m. Please refer to your email confirmation sent on 11/21 for details.
Alianna Gantuangco (Apr 7 14 8:48 pm)
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2014-04-19 was sent to a total of 168 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Alianna Gantuangco (Jan 26 14 9:19 pm)
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2014-02-08 was sent to a total of 48 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Nick Potter (Jan 21 14 11:39 am)
Your upcoming event on 2/08 was confirmed by the venue. You will need to bring books to the event. This is a good time to touch base with them to discuss any last minute details and get your promotional items on display. Be sure to actively engage with customers and have a great event!
Nick Potter (Jan 6 14 11:38 am)
We attempted to contact Hastings to confirm your 1/18 event, but we were unable to reach them. This is a good time to touch base with them again before the event to discuss any last minute details and get your promotional items on display. Have a great event!
Alianna Gantuangco (Jan 5 14 11:11 pm)
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2014-01-18 was sent to a total of 12 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Christina Carmack (Dec 27 13 10:00 am)
Nick Potter (Nov 25 13 10:11 am)
Thank you for confirming your event scheduled for 1/18. If you have yet to do so, please touch base with the venue contact to let them know you plan to attend. You will need to provide a poster in advance to raise awareness. For more tips on how to have a successful event, please look over the Book Signing Tips in the marketing guide at http://marketing.tateauthor.com/ (Username: marketing Password: service!)
Nick Potter (Nov 25 13 10:11 am)
Thank you for confirming your event scheduled for 4/19. If you have yet to do so, please touch base with the venue contact to let them know you plan to attend. You will need to provide a poster in advance to raise awareness. For more tips on how to have a successful event, please look over the Book Signing Tips in the marketing guide at http://marketing.tateauthor.com/ (Username: marketing Password: service!)
Allison Winters (Nov 21 13 11:56 am)
Full Circle Bookstore 1900 Northwest Expy, Oklahoma City, OK ‎ Penn Square Mall (405) 842-2900 NOTE: We scheduled a group book signing for you at this location for Saturday, April 19th, from 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. Please refer to your email confirmation sent on 11/ 21 for details.
Allison Winters (Nov 19 13 10:18 am)
On the Corner 301 N Hudson St, Altus, OK ‎ (580) 480-0057 ‎NOTE: This location no longer sells books or has book signing events. They politely declined.
Allison Winters (Nov 19 13 10:17 am)
We were unable to reach Lynn Collingwood, the store owner, when we called. We have scheduled a date to follow up and will inform you if they are able to arrange a date.
Allison Winters (Nov 19 13 10:09 am)
Hastings Entertainment 1700 N Main St #2, Altus, OK ‎ (580) 477-4140 ‎ NOTE: We scheduled a book signing for you at this store on Saturday, January 18th from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Please refer to your email confirmation sent on 11/19 for details.
Nick Potter (Nov 19 13 8:50 am)
Thank you for confirming your event scheduled for 2/08. If you have yet to do so, please speak directly to the event contact to confirm your attendance and exchange contact information. You will need to take posters and promo material by the store AT LEAST two weeks before the event. For more tips on how to have a successful event, please look over the Book Signing Tips in the marketing guide at http://marketing.tateauthor.com/ (Username: marketing Password: service!)
Allison Winters (Nov 18 13 4:00 pm)
EVENT: INGRAM: Hastings 616 NW Sheridan Rd, Lawton, OK (580) 248-0392 Notes: We scheduled a book signing for you at this store on Saturday, February 8th from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Please refer to your email confirmation sent on 11/18 for details
Madel Loyola (Mar 16 15 10:38 am)
Alianna Gantuangco (Jan 9 15 2:36 am)
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2015-01-17 was sent to a total of 33 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Alianna Gantuangco (Dec 28 14 10:11 pm)
Allison Winters (Oct 28 14 10:32 am)
EVENT: INGRAM: Hastings Entertainment 1700 N Main St #2, Altus, OK ‎ (580) 477-4140 ‎ NOTE: We scheduled a book signing for you at this store on Saturday, January 10th from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Please refer to your email confirmation sent on 10/28 for details.
Allison Winters (Oct 27 14 10:06 am)
Allison Winters (Oct 27 14 10:05 am)
Dusty Covers Book Store & Coffee Shop 211 E Broadway St, Altus, OK ‎ (580) 482-2665 ‎NOTE: We were unable to reach anyone at this location when we called; however, we left information about your book on the voicemail. We were unable to locate an email address to send information to. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time.
Allison Winters (Oct 27 14 10:02 am)
EVENT: CONSIGMENT: Hastings 616 NW Sheridan Rd, Lawton, OK (580) 248-0392 Notes: We scheduled a book signing for you at this store on Saturday, January 17th from 1:00 to 3:00 p.m. Please refer to your email confirmation sent on 10/27 for details.
Allison Winters (Oct 27 14 9:57 am)
Allison Winters (Oct 27 14 9:54 am)
Hastings Entertainment 1700 N Main St #2, Altus, OK ‎ (580) 477-4140 ‎ NOTE: We were unable to reach Brennan, the manager, when we called. We have scheduled a date to follow up and will inform you if they are able to arrange a date.
Madel Loyola (Oct 22 14 3:19 pm)

Director of Book Acquisitions

Original review: Feb. 26, 2015

They used my unedited book for publishing and refuse to pay any royalties or take my calls. Obviously the whole business is a scheme. They refuse to answer when they see my number. Money from the book was going to an animal shelter but it doesn't bother them to rip off a charity.

Tate Publishing response
This author's royalty check was mailed as outlined in the contractual agreement. When our team was informed that the author did not receive the check in the mail, our team re-issued a new check to be sent to the author as seen in the email correspondence below.
Miranda Johnson (Mar 4 15 3:43 pm)
Hello Rachelle,
Our receptionist just told me that you called and have not received your royalty check yet. I apologize that this has not yet reached you, I was assured that they all have gone out and since I sent thousands of checks in bulk I can only imagine when or where it was lost. My solution is to void the one that I have sent you and to personally put the new one in the outgoing mail today. I understand how frustrating this would be for you, but please know that I am doing everything I can to see that this check gets to you.
Sincerely,
Miranda Johnson
Tate Publishing did resolve the author issue as quickly as possible. Few things in life go perfectly—not parenting, relationships with spouses, your job--it would be almost impossible to never have a problem in life. However, the key to a good company is the ability to resolve an issue when it arises. We are glad to do so for any author with a similar circumstance. Any author who has a royalty issue is welcome to contact Miranda at 888.361.9473. She is at the office Monday – Friday, 9-5, CST. If she is on her phone, you may leave her a message so she will return your call.

Director of Book Acquisitions

Original review: Jan. 21, 2015

I am a first time author, and as a lot of you have stated, I wish I would have done some research. Let's start with the editing process. I nearly never graduated from high school because of my poor English skills, and worked as a laborer all my life, so I saw no need to improve them. Once I retired, I became restless, and since I could tell a good story, I decided to try to put one to paper. I was so unknowledgeable that I just wrote a story, and never proof read it before sending it off. I gave a copy of the book to my brother who is the polar opposite of me. He is very good with English. He read one page and told me it was **. I believed he was just saying that because we don't get along very well. I sent of the manuscript, and lo and behold, Tate said they would publish it.

It took six months for them to get back to me though, and during that time, I kept rewriting the story. The first time I read it through I noticed two things, one, my brother was right, two as I got near the end I was becoming a better speller, and my grammar skills had made a significant improvement. I rewrote the story a total of five times, cutting 25,000 of the original 45,000 words, and added 70,000 more words. I still have a copy of the original. No one will see it. I don't want to die of embarrassment.

Still it took nine months for the editing process, not because I was making mistakes, I was have to correct things that they were making mistakes on. The back cover was the best though. The first proof of it had two mistakes, not mine. I e-mailed to have the mistakes corrected. The first three times they sent me back the exact same mistakes. The fourth time, I was able to talk with my project manager on the phone. She told me that she had fixed the problem while on the phone, and e-mailed me a copy - nothing was changed. I was livid.

My mother is 88 years old. She paid for me to get published ($1500). I want her to read the book before she dies. So I finally signed off on the book. It still has mistakes that Tate made. I'm pissed. It makes me look the fool. What can I do? For anyone that is currently working with Tate I have this to say. One, I feel sorry for you. Two, I was able to get some satisfaction. There is an editor working there named Trinity TATE-Edgerton. I called her twice and shamed her into get action for me by saying I wouldn't want my name on a company that treated people this way. Hey maybe if we all called her once a day, things might change.

Tate Publishing response
The author's claims are incorrect and nothing moves forward without the author signing an approval form, stating that the author approves the files and wishes to move forward to the next step. The process, depending on the book and how many corrections or how much other production is needed, can take 6 to 12 months in some cases. This timeline is not outside of the norm, especially for a book that needed extra help. It is quite typical for an edit to go back and forth, and in fact, that is the process at work. Author admits this book took a great deal of work, and author did not pay for a heavy edit. It was not included in the author's contract. Ms. Edgerton stepped in and ask for a heavy edit and waived the extra editing fee for the author. Shame and mercy are not the same thing, and Tate, once again, did what was best for the author at our expense. It takes time to produce a book for an author who admittedly had extra problems with his text, but Ms. Edgerton was glad to do so.

Director of Book Acquisitions

Original review: Jan. 19, 2015

I had my first book published with Tate Enterprises in 2007. To put it bluntly, it's been a great disappointment. It's painful to be taken advantage of, by a so called Christian company. Tate Publishing and Enterprises is basically a self publishing printing company, not a publishing house. If you get an offer from Tate my advice to you is to run....

Don't even consider publishing with this company. It has cost me a lot of money and I have not enjoyed the experience. It's really my fault. I can't blame them totally. I didn't do the proper research because I was too eager to be published. After sending Tate my book I was surprised how quickly they responded. What a great book I had written! I was given one day to send 4,000.00 to them. They said all the right words that tug on an author's heartstrings.

When I saw the book for the first time in print, my heart dropped. The book was the size of a pocket Manual. Something I could never be proud of. I have decided to put the thing behind me, but I will always have that nagging thought. Why was I being so dumb for allowing my book to be published by a company that profits from its authors. Be careful who you trust. Especially through the internet. It's the modern and easy way of getting robbed.

Tate Publishing response
These claims are incorrect. There is simply no way for a book to be a surprise to an author. The author must sign off on a project at every step of production, using an approval form after seeing the physical book proof. If changes are needed, Tate will fix/update what is needed and make sure the finished project is what the author desires. Also, our team has continued to try and connect with this author to help market and promote her book and events, even 7 years after the book first started. The last two contact attempts are below:
William Mullally (Apr 22 15 11:03 am)
contacted about marketing
William Mullally (Feb 4 15 11:59 am)
left VM
As always, Tate is willing and able to continue with the marketing process for years to come. In fact, many authors have multiple books with us. Tate books are also available as hard covers for any author if an author so desires and feels that option would be better. Any author may feel free to call 888.361.9473, and Mark Mingle will connect the author with the appropriate person to make post-production changes. That is standard operating procedure for an author who wishes to have a change made to a book after production has finished, even if the author has signed off on the final galley proof. Tate is glad to be of service to our authors both during and after production.

Director of Book Acquisitions

Original review: Jan. 16, 2015

I have read the entire complaints about the wrongs of Tate Publishing and they are absolutely correct. It feels like I was the one writing all of them for the exactness of all the incidents with my experiences and similar behavior on the path of the publisher. It took me over a year to get through the editing and I was the one doing the work, formatting, designing the the cover, and doing all the editing. They were ruining my edited stories, spelling, and structure, changing things they are they don't know how to do better. The people assigned the work don't seem to know or have experience as editors who know anything about editing and formatting books, publishing concept poetry or others. I was responsible for doing everything except the cover template assigned to the book.

I have paid to receive 60 copies of the book and still have never got them for three months. They neither answer phone calls to them nor respond to emails. A complete shutout really. I just don't know how they make money to be in business because they are not doing nothing for the customers. I suspect of a kind of criminal activity, perhaps Ponzi scheme. I have never read about any truly satisfied author or buyer. My book, after a year and half, is still not on the shelves, online, and not even on record as book-in-print.

Something is very wrong here, and should be investigated by Attorney General of Oklahoma or FBI.

Tate Publishing response
This is an anonymous post-writer claiming to be a Tate Publishing signed author. After further research, I find no author with the first or last name Ashford from Kansas in our data base. I would recommend readers of this post watch this video about bloggers and how the blog world works with competitors paying bloggers. Second, if this is a Tate author posting anonymously, we certainly would like to know who you are if you are missing books. We ship hundreds of thousands of books out, and while we would never want to have an order that didn't arrive, that is certainly something that is correctable if that happened. You'll need to contact Mark Mingle at Tate Publishing at 888.361.9473, and he will be glad to help you. If we don't hear from you, we will be forced to assume this is an anonymous post from someone who is not a Tate author.

Director of Book Acquisitions

Original review: Jan. 11, 2015

I recently had a book published with Tate Publishing. Prior to my December 23, 2014 release date, the distributors made a huge and error that affected marketing and promotion. If any other authors with complaints against Tate Publishing are interested in filing a class action law suit, please email me at **.

Tate Publishing response

This is an anonymous post claiming to be a Tate Publishing signed author. We are not able to locate any authors by this name and region in our author pool. By not providing any specifics as to who you are or what book you are referencing, we are not able to properly address these concerns that appear to be a “distribution” error not a publisher error. Hopefully this author will reach out to their Marketing Consultant directly or contact Mark Mingle our Executive Director of Marketing at mark.mingle@tatepublishing.net so we may address your specific needs.

Executive Director of Acquisitions

Tate Publishing & Ent

Original review: Jan. 5, 2015

I complained back in July about the services - since then Tate actually published my book (with errors) and put it in various languages. I'm waiting over 8 months and no web site yet! Who the heck is the PR I paid for? No answers - no communication.

Tate Publishing response

This is an anonymous post claiming to be a Tate Publishing signed author. We are not able to locate any authors by this name and region in our author pool. By not providing any specifics as to who you are or what book you are referencing, we are not able to properly address these concerns that appear to be about your website not being up and running yet. Websites, social networking and commercial trailers are completed once the book reaches the final production stages. Hopefully this author will reach out to their Project Manager directly or contact Curtis Winkle our Executive Director of Production at curtis.winkle@tatepublishing.net so we may address your specific needs.

Exec. Dir of Book Acquisitions

Original review: Jan. 3, 2015

I signed with Tate and realized they sign everyone because they take your money! I'm a manager and work in sales and marketing and Tate's marketing is horrible! I have done my own marketing and still can't seem to figure out what the retainer fee was for...oh actually it was to print the book! This is a vanity press and all the ok comments I see have come from authors that are just new to signing! I'm currently in negotiations with other publishers for the rest of my series. DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN THE HYPE! My book is doing well with no help from Tate. My book is being shared in many schools and sold in many stores as I have had to do all the foot work! Also showed up to a book signing and I brought the books with me but when I arrived the book store had already purchased a bunch of copies to sell. Guess what I never received any royalties off of the books. Tate is a print to order, it's really sad but I'll be turning my back on Tate and have to say I don't feel bad as even under contract their backs has been turned on me!

Tate Publishing response

This is an anonymous post claiming to be a Tate Publishing signed author. We are not able to locate any authors by this name and region in our author pool. By not providing any specifics as to who you are or what book you are referencing, we are not able to properly address these concerns that appear to be marketing and royalty related. Hopefully this “author” will reach out to their Marketing Consultant directly or contact Mark Mingle our Executive Director of Marketing at mark.mingle@tatepublishing.net so we may address your specific needs.We have not and will never turn our backs on authors. We are here to help and are always open to setting up more events and getting new ideas about marketing pushes and strategies to revamp sales. We DO NOT accept every book that is submitted to us and if your book was chosen then that means there is sales potential and we believe in your product. Don't let another day go by that you don't contact us directly to try more and take new steps toward success with your book.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2015

I am a new author to the world of writing, and in Feb. 2012, when I spoke to Eric **-- no longer employed by Tate-- accepted my manuscript with a contract, I paid them 3,500.00 upfront because he said I was a new author. And that it was hard for them to accept someone like me without a prior book. Even then, after it was paid, I had to plead with Eric to send me my receipt for the money. Three days later I got it.

I had no idea what I was getting into. My first book, Waya's Chosen, took a year to get through editing and marketing. My issue then and now, are the corrections that the editors--the editors--should have done.

Mr **, emailed me June of 2012 to see if I wanted to skip editing and go right into marketing. My response: It needs editing. As time went on, the 3-4 month waiting limit turned into nearly six months. I had no way of knowing what a books should have looked like, but at this time, I feel they should have told me to do more work on it, then send it in. Instead, they took my money then, I paid another 500.00 this past August to make the right corrections that lead to a Second Edition. As of today, I am still correcting the editors errors.

Book 2, of Waya's Chosen, was accepted Dec. 2014 with a contract and $990.00. March 2014, the editing began. Throughout the six months it took in editing, it constantly went back and forth to have the errors corrected. With every complaint to Audie--production manager--there was no response. Mrs ** claimed she would take care of it, but then there was still to response. Anger driven, I finally signed their approval form. I knew deep inside my chest there were errors still, but it always came back with additional errors for me to fix.

Having taken the time to correct the corrections in book 2, I barely have time to read it in full. After I received the final proof, I cried. The errors that they left in there, was a pity.

Early December 2014, I e-mailed several contacts of Tate's, informing them to stop/place a hold on BOTH books until further notice. There was no response from Tate. Three weeks ago, I was informed by a co-worker, that book 2 had been placed on Amazon for purchase. I sent another e-mail out to those prior about the deal. I also told them, "I hired you. Not the other way around." I finally got an e-mail from Melanie **, wanting to know what the problem was. I never responded. They're my books and I'll do as I please, not Tate Publishing.

Today, Jan. 2, 2015, I got an e-mail informing me that book 2 had been released on Dec. 23, 2014, against my wishes. Throughout the two years I have been with Tate Publishing, communications have been like pulling teeth--painful--to get a response, or not one at all. Since they have not done any advertising as they claimed they would, I feel there is only one thing left to do.

RESOLUTION: Make the corrections without making more errors in the process or refund my $4,990.00 I have already paid. Tate has not lived up to their end of the bargain of the contract. I feel I have been taken for a ride. They knew I was new to field of being an author. I made it a point to..

Tate Publishing response

The information provided here from Patsy is inaccurate. As with any author or project, Tate Publishing strives to make sure that books are finalized to the final approval of the author so it matches with the dream book they have in mind. This is why each author is required to sign a final approval form stating they approve of the project and are ready for it to move forward to the next phase. This is the case here, the author signed the final approval forms. If other changes were (or are) needed then the author should make those known to the production team so those changes can be made prior to signing the approval forms. However, even if an author sees changes needed after signing the forms, Tate Publishing strives to make all needed changes as the author's do have creative control and maintain the copyright of their books. There is no possible way an author's book can be produced without their approval. The author's must approve and sign off on every phase of production. Based on current files we have on this author it appears the book is scheduled to go through production again this month and the author will be able to implement any and all changes she wishes to include that were not implemented by her in the first round.

Executive Director of Acquisitions

Tate Publishing & Ent

Original review: Dec. 24, 2014

I am a Tate Publishing author and I didn't put my real name on here just so no one could snitch on me if they wanted to. I have published 3 books with Tate Publishing over the past 4 years, and what have I seen for my investment? Not a dime. It's really kind of ridiculous because they're apparently being sold everywhere. I asked once why am I not seeing any money and they said it takes up to a year to make it through the system and make it to me. Sure.

Three books later I haven't gotten hardly anything. They are very good to work with; I was quite pleased with the end product. It looked nice and all that, but other than that that's about where the good stuff ends. I've constantly been shuffled around to different marketing reps. I've had about 3 or 4 this year alone and for no reason. Also the editors who worked on the book keep changing. On my second and third books apparently my editor changed 3 or 4 times and I didn't know about it. I'm not sure how you can really edit a book if you're constantly changing editors.

I also invested in the commercial book trailers, which were supposed to be seen wide and far on TV everywhere, up to 1,000,000 views. So what happened with it? They gave me a file and said to put it on YouTube. Despite countless times of trying to get it on the air it never has. And overall the thing that is the most annoying is the marketing reps seem far too interested in selling you your own product. Why not actually get the books sold online? Why take more of an author’s money? It really seems like a really expensive self-publisher, rather than a real traditional publisher like they claim. So long and short of it. I'm done with Tate and I'll take my other 2 series somewhere else. And hopefully actually make some money as apposed to spending the ridiculous amount they want. (Around $4k).

Tate Publishing response

This is an anonymous post claiming to be a Tate Publishing signed author, three times over. We are not able to locate any authors by this name and region in our author pool and this person admits to using a fake name. By not providing any specifics as to who you are or what books you are referencing, we are not able to properly address these concerns that appear to be marketing and royalty related. Hopefully this author will reach out to their Marketing Consultant directly or contact Mark Mingle our Executive Director of Marketing at mark.mingle@tatepublishing.net so we may address your specific needs. There is always more that we can be doing to help you and we must hear from you in order to address any concerns you may have if you are in fact an author with us. We would be more than happy to provide more information on your commercial book trailer at anytime if you reach out to us.As for your claim that we are an expensive self publisher, we are not self publishing—but our costs are drastically lower than most self publishers. We actually give you marketing support unlike self publishers and we cover all the production costs for your book. We hope to hear from you directly if in fact you are a Tate author.

Tate Publishing & Ent

Original review: Dec. 23, 2014

I do agree with most of all the other people that are writing about Tate Publishing. They do not seem to be running a honest company. They did make some mistakes on the writing along the way that I had to point out, But over all they did a good job from the cover to the to the finish. My problem is where is the money? Like everyone, my book was released July 2013 to date I have only received 3.50 cents and They are selling my book overseas and everywhere. Something is wrong with this. They are cooking the books. Also I have a CD that they released in Jan 2014 and I have not received anything from that. I really think that they need to open their books up or be made to open them up with a class action suit.

Tate Publishing response
This author/artist is complaining about royalties and making unwarranted accusations regarding payments, etc. Any and all payments owed to an author/artist are paid out upon receipt from distribution at the end of each quarter...as outlined in the legal contract signed by both parties. Furthermore, any questions an author/artist has will be addressed and information will be provided if they ask our team for reports or updates - we take the accounting of sales and reporting very seriously. Our team has worked on both projects to help create opportunities to sell the product by contacting potential venues for book signings, niche marketing opportunities, and music events. However, as outlined in the contract, we cannot guarantee certain sales volumes but we will work with our teams to help create opportunities for the author/artist to sell.
Here are Marketing Notes for both the Book project and Music project:
Alianna Gantuangco (Mar 20 14 7:11 pm) Edit
Thank you for notifying us of your event! We have added your 5/7 event to the calendar. Keep in mind that success of the event depends heavily on how well you promote it within your own social networks. Please review your events on our public calendar: http://tatemusicgroup.com/events.php.
Brittany Fisher (Mar 17 14 12:13 pm) Edit
Lauren Raycroft with WCIV-TV ABC News 4 Charleston contacted us with interest in having you on their Lowcountry Live! segment after receiving our media pitch. They have invited you to officially apply online via their web link: http://www.abcnews4.com/story/18657237/be-a-guest-on-lowcountry-live They are currently booking into May and beyond, and will be in contact about an interview upon receiving your application.
Isabella Diocson (Mar 14 14 1:21 am) Edit
A media pitch was sent to the following media outlets in anticipation of your upcoming event: Berkeley Independent, Catholic Miscellany, Charleston Chronicle, Charleston City Paper, Charleston Gateway, Charleston Map Guide, Charleston Mercury, CharlestonCurrents.com, Cistern Yard, The, Daniel Island News, Digitel Charleston, The, Goose Creek Gazette, Island Eye News, Island Publications Inc., James Island Messenger, Lowcountry Sun, Post and Courier, The, Statehouse Report, Summerville Journal-Scene, Universal Latin News, WAVF-FM, WCKN-FM, WCSC-TV, West Of, WEZL-FM, WIWF-FM, WMXZ-FM, WQSC-AM, WRFQ-FM, WSCC-FM (News Radio 94.3), WSSX-FM, WWWZ-FM, WXST-FM.
Alianna Gantuangco (Mar 10 14 10:23 pm) Edit
Thank you for notifying us of your event! We have added your 3/27 & 4/10 event to the calendar. Keep in mind that success of the event depends heavily on how well you promote it within your own social networks. Please review your events on our public calendar: http://tatemusicgroup.com/events.php.
Alianna Gantuangco (Mar 7 14 12:29 am) Edit
Thank you for notifying us of your event! We have added your 3/15 event to the calendar. Keep in mind that success of the event depends heavily on how well you promote it within your own social networks. Please review your events on our public calendar: http://tatemusicgroup.com/events.php.
Mark Lester Pardico (Mar 2 14 8:36 pm) Edit
Music and EPK sent to the following stations: WRAF KAOW KAYH KELB KGSG KJAB KJIC KKGM KNOF KTTK KWFC KWXT WAGO WAMV WAVU WBFC WBLB WBOZ WBSA WBTX WCGW WCIS WCKB WCLC WCLW WCNW WDFB WDXL WEIC WEKC WEKT WEMM WERH WETB WFCA WFGH WFLI WFSR WGTH WGUS WIOK WJCR WJCV WJEC WJFJ WJLS WJMD WJSG WJSM WKJH WKNV WKTE WKWL WKXV WLAF WLRD WMDR WOSM WPIO WPOS WQIL WRNA WSNL WSTK WSTS WSWV WTRM WTYS WURL WVHM WVOB WVOV WVVW WWAM WWGM WWWC WWWJ WXAN WXRI WYCV WYGS WYNR WZAP WZCT WZOT WZTQ SGM Radio Gospel Hour Radio WJFM AllQuartetsRadio ClassicGospel90.3 WCFA HopeRadio KHRT
Lara Caballes (Jan 15 14 6:43 pm) Edit
Press release for CD release was sent to the following media outlets: Catholic Miscellany, Charleston Chronicle, Charleston City Paper, Charleston Gateway, Charleston Map Guide, Charleston Mercury, CharlestonCurrents.com, Cistern Yard, The, Daniel Island News, Digitel Charleston, The, Island Eye News, Island Publications Inc., James Island Messenger, Lowcountry Sun, Post and Courier, The, Statehouse Report, Summerville Journal-Scene, Universal Latin News, WAVF-FM, WCKN-FM, WCSC-TV, West Of, WEZL-FM, WIWF-FM, WMXZ-FM, WQSC-AM, WRFQ-FM, WSCC-FM (News Radio 94.3), WSSX-FM, WWWZ-FM, WXST-FM.
Emily Hulseberg (Oct 15 13 9:46 am) Edit
Can you please send us some retail locations you would like us to contact in regards to getting a cd signing event scheduled?
Alianna Gantuangco (Oct 14 13 6:05 pm) Edit
Thank you for notifying us of your event! We have added your 11/10 event to the calendar. Keep in mind that success of the event depends heavily on how well you promote it within your own social networks. Please review your events on our public calendar:http://tatemusicgroup.com/events.php
Alianna Gantuangco (Oct 28 13 2:06 am) Edit
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2013-11-10 was sent to a total of 157 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Alianna Gantuangco (Oct 14 13 5:46 pm) Edit
Thank you for notifying us of your event! We have added your 11/10 event to the calendar. We will contact the local media about this event, but keep in mind that success of the event depends heavily on how well you promote it within your own social networks. Please review your events on our public calendar: http://www.tatepublishing.com/calendar.php.
Alianna Gantuangco (Oct 2 13 2:23 am) Edit
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2013-10-16 was sent to a total of 156 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Zach Green (Sep 11 13 4:27 pm) Edit
Thank you for notifying us of your event! We have added your 9/22 and 10/16 event on our public calendar. We will notify the local media outlets about this event approximately 14 days prior to the event date. Together we want to partner with you to raise as much awareness as we can for the event. Be sure to actively engage with customers and have a great event! To look at our public events calendar please visit: http://www.tatepublishing.com/calendar.php.
Terry Cordingley (Sep 4 13 8:00 pm) Edit
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2013-09-19 was sent to a total of 90 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Britni Norris (Sep 4 13 3:05 pm) Edit
Dream A Lot Books is interested in hosting an event. We are in the process of arranging details and will inform you once we confirm them.
Christina Carmack (Aug 22 13 1:18 pm) Edit
Submitted eBook to Kindle, Nook, and Baker & Taylor.
Jessica Strebeck (Aug 19 13 3:00 pm) Edit
Thank you for notifying us of your event! We have added your 9/19 event to the calendar. We will contact the local media about this event, but keep in mind that success of the event depends heavily on how well you promote it within your own social networks. Please review your events on our public calendar: http://www.tatepublishing.com/calendar.php.
Britni Norris (Aug 14 13 12:05 pm) Edit
Indigo Books LLC 472 Freshfields Drive, Johns Island, SC (843) 768-2255 Notes: This location politely declined due to the lack of floor space and poor event turn out.
Britni Norris (Aug 14 13 12:05 pm) Edit
Reading Warehouse 4681 Franchise St, Charleston, SC (843) 225-6260 Notes: We were informed that this is a distribution center for libraries, teachers, and schools. They are not an actual bookstore.
Britni Norris (Aug 14 13 12:05 pm) Edit
Here Be Books & Games 4650 Ladson Rd, Summerville, SC ‎ (843) 695-1498 Notes: We were unable to reach Tina, the manager, when we called. We have scheduled a date to follow up and will inform you if they are able to arrange a date.
Britni Norris (Aug 14 13 12:05 pm) Edit
Dream A Lot Books 123 S Goose Creek Blvd, Goose Creek, SC ‎ (843) 572-4188 Notes: We were unable to reach Cherry, the owner, when we called. We sent information about your book to the email address listed online, orderbooks@dreamalotbooks.com. We await reply. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time. If they are interested in an event but can't order enough books, please schedule the event date at least 6 weeks out and tell them you will have us contact them to make sure they have books in time. Please notify us immediately of the event date. We will add it to your calendar and make sure books are available for the store to order.
Britni Norris (Aug 14 13 12:04 pm) Edit
Barnes & Noble 1716 Towne Centre Way, Mt Pleasant, SC (843) 216-9756 Notes: We were put on hold for long amounts of time we time we called. We went ahead sent information to the store email address, crm2973@bn.com. We await reply. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time. If they are interested in an event but can't order enough books, please schedule the event date at least 6 weeks out and tell them you will have us contact them to make sure they have books in time. Please notify us immediately of the event date. We will add it to your calendar and make sure books are available for the store to order.
Britni Norris (Aug 14 13 12:04 pm) Edit
Barnes & Noble 7620 Rivers Ave, Charleston, SC (843) 572-2322 Notes: We spoke with Dolores, the manager, and she requested we send information to her email address, crm2915@bn.com. We sent the information and await reply. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time. If they are interested in an event but can't order enough books, please schedule the event date at least 6 weeks out and tell them you will have us contact them to make sure they have books in time. Please notify us immediately of the event date. We will add it to your calendar and make sure books are available for the store to order.
Britni Norris (Aug 14 13 12:04 pm) Edit
Barnes & Noble 1812 Sam Rittenberg Blvd, Charleston, SC (843) 556-6561 Notes: We were unable to reach Ashley, the manager, when we called. We sent information to her email address, crm2919@bn.com. We await reply. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time. If they are interested in an event but can't order enough books, please schedule the event date at least 6 weeks out and tell them you will have us contact them to make sure they have books in time. Please notify us immediately of the event date. We will add it to your calendar and make sure books are available for the store to order.
Britni Norris (Aug 14 13 12:04 pm) Edit
Blue Bicycle Books 420 King St, Charleston, SC (843) 722-2666 ‎ Notes: Notes: We spoke with an associate and she mentioned they all handle events and asked us to send information about your book to the store email address, info@bluebicyclebooks.com. We sent the information and await reply. Please follow up with this location in 1-2 weeks if we have not informed you of an event by that time. If they are interested in an event but can't order enough books, please schedule the event date at least 6 weeks out and tell them you will have us contact them to make sure they have books in time. Please notify us immediately of the event date. We will add it to your calendar and make sure books are available for the store to order.
Traci Jones Nix (Jun 3 13 8:27 pm) Edit
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2013-06-15 was sent to a total of 362 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Amanda Sartain (May 23 13 3:40 pm) Edit
Thank you for notifying us of your event! We have added your 6/15 event on our public calendar. Please provide the venue with promotional items at least 2 weeks in advance. We will contact the local media about this event, but keep in mind that success of the event depends heavily on how well you promote it within your own social networks. Be sure to actively engage with customers and have a great event! To look at our public events calendar please visit: http://www.tatepublishing.com/calendar.php.
Amanda Sartain (May 22 13 11:46 am) Edit
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2013-06-01 was sent to a total of 73 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Amanda Sartain (May 13 13 10:44 am) Edit

Thank you for notifying us of your event! We have added your 6/01 event on our public calendar. Please provide the venue with promotional items at least 2 weeks in advance. We will contact the local media about this event, but keep in mind that success of the event depends heavily on how well you promote it within your own social networks. Be sure to actively engage with customers and have a great event! To look at our public events calendar please visit: http://www.tatepublishing.com/calendar.php

Tate Publishing & Ent

Original review: Dec. 12, 2014

Pls don't go to this company. I didn't put my full name in here because last time I did, somebody snitched on me to Tate. All I can say is that they will take your book and make it into a joke. I spent 2 yrs on my book, and all that hard work went down the drain when I published with Tate. They took my book and made it look like a joke. The cover image looked like something they went to Google and copied and pasted. They say that they will edit your book for you, but guess who did most of the corrections? ME. Then even after my book was finished, there was still mistakes that I told them to change but they didn't. I also made a gratitude page thanking my friends and family for help, but they took that out. Plus on the back of the book there were so many mistakes. I was so upset. My book has been on the market for about 6 or 7 months now and they haven't sold 1 copy. I sold majority of the copies. All I'm saying is unless you want all your hard work going down the train... pls don't go to Tate Publishing.

Tate Publishing response

This is an anonymous post claiming to be a Tate Publishing signed author. We are not able to locate any authors by this name and region in our author pool. By not providing any specifics as to who you are or what book you are referencing, we are not able to properly address these concerns that appear to be marketing and design related. Hopefully this author will reach out to their Marketing Consultant directly or contact Mark Mingle our Executive Director of Marketing at mark.mingle@tatepublishing.net so we may address your specific needs.We have not and will never turn our backs on authors. We understand how precious and important your book is to you as an author...and we want to make sure that any problems, issues, or changes can be addressed and fixed so that the book is exactly as you envisioned it to be. Please reach out to our team and we can work with you to fix these issues.

Tate Publishing & Ent

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

Like others, I submitted my manuscript to Tate. However, they called me to let me know that every year they "choose" one unpublished author to promote - for "free." Being a natural skeptic, I waited for months for the other shoe to drop - i.e. hidden costs, etc. I would suddenly be informed I needed to pay upon publishing. I carefully read & signed a contract that said I - in fact - I would not have any costs for publication - "all costs for publication will be paid by Tate." It also stated for sales of the book, there'd be a 40/60 split... me getting the 40%.

This was my first publishing experience & first manuscript to be published - VERY exciting Tate wanted this book to market & (seemingly) wanted it so bad, they'd pay for everything. This turned out to be TRUE. However - the process itself was frustrating. My manuscript was handed-off to multiple people. The first person I submitted it to never responded to my inquiries about receiving it & 3 months later I found out they had "left the company". Person #2, #3, #4, & #5 never answered my questions to my satisfaction re: due dates, how long, cover approval (which was my own cover), etc. and I kept getting passed off to "new" people due to "promotions" or people "leaving the company."

VERY frustrating - BUT I finally got my book published & launched on Tate's website & Amazon. I was delighted!! I posted it on my Facebook and more than a dozen of my friends ordered from Tate website. I placed my first order as well - for book signing, the author needs their own books... understandable. I was SO excited when my book arrived. Until I read it. They didn't use my final draft where I had fixed a few type-o's. So anyone who purchased it from Tate website, got the book of errors. I caught it before it launched on Amazon, Thank god, so those who bought from Amazon got the real-deal.

Marketing sucks. I've never been into it. But Tate's marketing dept. didn't do much. Booked me over 100 miles away - 3 hour drive one way. They also passed me off to now three marketing agents. Whatever. I've never paid them for anything but my own hard copies of my book...everything's been "free" so I got what I paid for.

So what's my BIG complaint? It's time for Royalties. Got a "quarterly" report recently - which is 6 months from my book's launch. Says I only sold 3 books. My check would be $1.07. There is NO official report or way to double-check their figures. Just an email, an email that's based on the "trust-factor." Well I happen to know I sold more than 3 books from their website as I've signed more than a dozen - that DID NOT come from Amazon as it hadn't launched there yet. Even if I did only sell 3 as they claim - how is 40% of $50.97 (3x 16.99) only one dollar?

So far I've sent a few emails demanding an explanation, but no one answers that question. Just gives me the run-around. Tells me Amazon books don't count, Amazon pays every 3-4 months (also a lie). So I've come to the conclusion Tate is NOT honest, NOT Christian (it's a cover story), they WILL steal your money, and you're better off self-publishing. And that's a true lesson learned from a new "now-published" author. AUTHORS BEWARE!!! You won't see a dime of your sales - even if Tate pays the bill for pub costs. Wait. Scratch that. You'll see $1 from your sales. Wait. Scratch that. You MAY see a $1 - I still haven't received my dollar yet.

Tate Publishing response

This author received a completely free marketing contract but is complaining about production elements that were not included in the contractual agreement. In this particular case, the author was providing completely edited and print ready files. If more production work is needed, these services can be added on at any time and we are happy to help get things fixed but the issues described in this complaint are outside of what was included. The contract also clearly states that Tate cannon guarantee any specific sales volumes. It also states the royalty structure and schedule for payment – which the above author apparently has not reviewed since his information provided above is completely inaccurate. Any questions regarding royalties can and will be answered by our marketing department and we are happy to clarify any misconceptions regarding the publishing industry.

Tate Publishing & Ent

Furthermore, since the author is posting without using his/her name I am unable to look up our marketing and sales notes on this free project.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2014

The positive reviews you see on here were written by the Tate Company themselves. The fact is they are not a REAL publisher. They are a scamming vanity publisher that pretends something fake, they pretend they are a real publisher then wants your book then asks for money for "marketing", no real publisher EVER does this. This is the number one sign of a scam in publishing. If a publisher thinks your book is good they pay all upfront costs. This is purely a scam. They scammed my sister. Meanwhile I am with real publishers that pay me. Tate is notorious as a joke and a scam among all the savvy authors, and even if you must do self publishing you can get that for free with Smashwords. I laughed that they said Amazon pays slow. They pay fast. Everything Tate says is a lie.

Tate Publishing response

This post is inaccurate and quite disappointing. The post-writer is anonymous and gives us no opportunity to address his concerns and false information – both about Tate Publishing and the publishing industry in general. I am happy to address any real questions and concerns. You can reach me directly at 888.361.9473. www.tatepublishing.com

Tate Publishing & Ent

Original review: Nov. 19, 2014

Tate Publishing has been a bad experience from the beginning of my dealings with them. They have been unorganized in work and communication between the staff members of their departments, as well as with me. The most severe complaint that I have at this point with Tate Publishing is their false-claims concerning my book which they have published: "It's What Counts That Matters".

The book was released on Dec 10, 2013 with an eLIVE logo on the front cover and the following text included inside the book: "In your hands you hold a complete digital package. In addition to the paper version, you receive a free download of the audio version of this book. Simply use the code listed below when visiting our website. Once downloaded to your computer, you can listen to the book through your computer's speakers, burn it to an audio CD, or save the file to your portable music device (such as Apple's popular iPod) and listen on the go!" How to get your free audio book digital download, 1. Visit www.tatepublishing.com and click on the eLIVE logo on the homepage and click on the eLIVE logo on the homepage, 2.Enter the following coupon code, 3. (a 24-digit code consisting of letters and numbers), 4.Download the audio book from your eLIVE digital locker and begin enjoying your new digital entertainment package today!

The book has been released for almost a full year now and available world-wide on the internet with the false claim that the audio is available "today" when to this date it is not! Tate has published two other books for me that include the same claim that the purchaser was also buying the audio version, which they did not complete and make available for many months after the books' release dates. I feel compelled to bring this situation to someone's attention, as dealing with Tate Publishing has brought me much distress since late 2012 when I first signed their contracts.

Tate Publishing response
This author was given a free marketing contract from Tate Publishing but is claiming to be missing elements of production. The free contract this author signed do not include any of the elements mentioned by the author unless she adds these services at a later time. That has not happened. Also, our team did a lot of work to help market and promote this author's book and events...in order to help the author sell books through national distribution and personal sales. Below are the marketing notes regarding what our team worked on for this author – prior to the authors request to cancel:
Mareyne Apines (Apr 11 14 10:06 am) Edit
Wray Public�Library .621 Blake Street Wray, CO 80758 .(970) 332-4744 . We left a message for the Library Director, and await a reply. We will inform you of any updates. Please feel free to follow up with this venue if you do not receive an update in 1-2 weeks.
Note:This is the only closest venue that we could find in your city for niche marketing. Please provide us a list of venues that you would want us to call out. Thank you!
Alianna Gantuangco (Feb 17 14 12:47 am) Edit
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2014-03-01 was sent to a total of 2 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Nick Potter (Feb 11 14 11:40 am) Edit
Your upcoming event on 3/01 was confirmed by the venue. You will need to bring books to the event. This is a good time to touch base with them to discuss any last minute details and get your promotional items on display. Be sure to actively engage with customers and have a great event!
Nick Potter (Feb 5 14 3:07 pm) Edit
We spoke with Laura from Inklings Bookstore, who informed us that you have rescheduled your 2/22 event with them. The new event date they gave us is Saturday, 3/01 from 2 to 4 p.m. Please confirm this new date/time so we can update our calendar.
Christina Carmack (Jan 9 14 2:49 pm) Edit
Alianna Gantuangco (Dec 25 13 8:41 pm) Edit
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2014-01-04 was sent to a total of 9 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Nick Potter (Dec 23 13 9:29 am) Edit
Thank you for confirming your event scheduled for 2/22. If you have yet to do so, please speak directly to the event contact to confirm your attendance and exchange contact information. You will need to take posters and promo material by the store AT LEAST two weeks before the event. For more tips on how to have a successful event, please look over the Book Signing Tips in the marketing guide at http://marketing.tateauthor.com/ (Username: marketing Password: service!)
Allison Winters (Dec 20 13 4:28 pm) Edit
There were limited venues that came up in the 35-55 mile radius.If you know of bookstore contacts and stores in your area that host events on a regular basis, please provide us with store addresses and phone numbers. We will gladly make the connection on your behalf.
Allison Winters (Dec 20 13 3:57 pm) Edit
Inklings Book Store 221 N Interocean Ave, Holyoke, CO ‎ (970) 854-3153 ‎NOTE: We scheduled a book signing/reading for you at this store on Saturday, February 22nd from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. Please refer to your email confirmation sent on 12/20 for details.
Nick Potter (Nov 20 13 9:07 am) Edit
Thank you for confirming your event scheduled for 1/04. If you have yet to do so, please touch base with the venue contact to let them know you plan to attend. You will need to provide a poster in advance to raise awareness. For more tips on how to have a successful event, please look over the Book Signing Tips in the marketing guide at http://marketing.tateauthor.com/ (Username: marketing Password: service!)
Zach Green (Nov 19 13 4:20 pm) Edit
Alco Discount Store. 502 East 8th Avenue Yuma, CO 80759. (970) 848-5347. Brett, brett.mcrea@gmail.com (970) 848-5347 "Event Scheduled -- Event Date: Saturday, January 4th 1-3pm Location: Alco Discount Store 502 East 8th Avenue Yuma, CO 80759 Contact: Brett, brett.mcrea@gmail.com (970) 848-5347 "
Alianna Gantuangco (Oct 22 13 1:49 am) Edit
An event correction for your upcoming event on 2013-11-09 was sent to a total of 4 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Alianna Gantuangco (Oct 21 13 5:03 am) Edit
An event announcement for your upcoming event on 2013-11-02 was sent to a total of 4 different contacts from the local media outlets that are in proximity to the event's location. I will notify you of any replies from the media about the announcement.
Alianna Gantuangco (Oct 15 13 8:29 pm) Edit

Thank you for notifying us of your event! We have added your 11/2 event to the calendar. We will contact the local media about this event, but keep in mind that success of the event depends heavily on how well you promote it within your own social networks. Please review your events on our public calendar: http://www.tatepublishing.com/calendar.php.

Tate Publishing Company Information