1.45/5

Mustang, OK

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

255 Tate Publishing Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I'm sorry that I ever signed a contract with this publishing company. They haven't done a single thing they said they were going to do. All they did was take the money and run. I've gotten emails from them here and there, but nothing that's of real importance. I know that a few of my books have been bought by family members. But beyond that, I doubt any of them have been sold. I have asked them how many I have sold and they say 0 which I know isn't true. I've been promoting my book on my own via social media. Isn't promotion their job? I have no problem promoting, I just don't want to be the only one doing so. I warn you: DON'T WORK WITH THIS PUBLISHING COMPANY. They aren't worth your time or money.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2015

Tate Publishing Company has a great promotional speech as well as a CHRISTIAN mission statement. COMPLETELY FALSE! They have no interest in doing anything for an author with the exception of taking their money, not correcting mistakes in the final print, not listening to ideas on the proper marketing of your book, missing opportunities that could have made it successful and the top thing is not having an accounting dept that knows where books were sold and in return no payment to this author! I did 2 book signings at BAM and have photos of the stacks of books all sold and all signed. So no returns allowed. No check and it is now 16 months later, the same e-mail. I am still checking into it! ***STAY FAR AWAY from TATE PUBLISHING!***

Original review: Oct. 9, 2015

Tate Publishing (after terminating the contract with them 2 years prior) sends me a sales report for the past 6 months stating they sold two of my books that weren't ever supposed to hit the shelves. They refuse to contact me back or even send me the amount due. I realize it's a miniscule amount, but it's not even theirs. They shouldn't even be taking royalties from a book they have NO RIGHT publishing. $2,500 and 2 years later and they are still trying to gain money off a book that isn't theirs by any rights and refuse to stick with my request to remove ALL sales. These were ebooks too! Not copies they sent out. Tate claims to be a Christian company, but they are as crooked as politicians.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2015

I was lucky enough to sign on with Tate during their early days when they were still running a more reputable company. My overall publishing experience was good. But just as I was finishing up, they started laying off all their staff. The biggest challenges were on the marketing side that I paid extra for. I would constantly email and be told by the people that they didn't receive my email. In the end, despite paying for their help with marketing, I did the work myself. They now outsource nearly everything to places like India and Philippines. I am convinced they have the covers designed by people on fiverr. In this day and age, you can publish for free on Createspace. Why would you waste time with Tate.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

I was signed with Tate Publishing in the Spring of 2010. I paid a fee of $5,000 for the production of my first book, Soul Hunters. All went well, despite the outlandish fee. I had a great editor who was in my age group, so he was really into my book. He was available to answer my questions and we had an awesome professional relationship. So first book was great. Then I began the process of publishing Soul Hunters II: Demon's Gamble... I had another crazy fee of $2,500. I had to submit my manuscript twice. The first person I emailed it to left the company and did not forward it on to the right people. My emails began to be ignored, and it started taking them even longer to return my calls. During the editing process I couldn't reach anyone. Never even spoke to my editor. When I asked who my editor was and how I could reach them, Tate Publishing glossed over my question.

I finished paying off my fee for book 2 in December of 2014, and production was to begin immediately afterwards. But it took me a month to reach Tate Publishing to find out if production was even happening or not. I was told their financial department did not even let production know that I was paid up. And last but not least, I ordered 8 copies of Soul Hunters II in early July of this year (2015) and here it is almost October and I still have not received what I paid for. I cannot reach a live person, everything is automated. I am leaving Tate Publishing and terminating my contract.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tate Publishing?

Original review: Sept. 28, 2015

Tate Publishing signs contract and does nothing with your book. They don't pay attention to the quality of editing. They never market your book; all they do is want you to buy all your books and resell. The don't try to sell or market your book to the public, libraries or school. You, the author is the only one they market and want to sell your book back to you instead of the public. You would be better off self publishing your book. They do absolutely nothing to sell your book, all they do with your book is print and make all the money without you getting a cent. They are very dubious. Always want you to pay thousands of dollars to them and go on trip with them to sell your book.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2015

I read many reviews demeaning Tate Publishing, the cost, the false promises, lack of communication, etc. I was extremely wary of the company and decided not to use them until I got a call from the founder of Tate Publishing, Dr. Tate. We had a twenty minute conversation. Most of it was me asking questions and Dr. Tate telling me stories about himself, his beautiful bride and his grandchildren. He gave me his number to call with any concerns I may have. Three days later I was on board with Tate Publishing and have been happy ever since.

I sent an email expressing how I would like the cover of my book to look and I literally almost cried when they sent me my choices. One was 99.9% perfect. It captured exactly what I had expressed. The entire staff of Tate Publishing has done an excellent job of communicating with me at all steps. If I have a concern they quickly address it. In all honesty my book is about a month away from release. I will be working with a marketing specialist that Tate has assigned to me and my book. I have full confidence that the Tate team will assist me in taking my book to the success it deserves. I'm certain some people have had problems with self publishing their book. My experience with Tate Publishing has been nothing short of stellar..

Original review: Sept. 23, 2015

I have published 10 books with Tate. Tate has been wonderful to deal with. They go far and beyond their obligation. Dr. Tate personally called me to discuss a matter in question and Stacy ** is an angel sent from above. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2015

I contracted with Tate Publishing to publish my children's book. It took them 18 months to produce the book and now going on 2 1/2 years to complete the audio. The contract I signed indicated the fee was for MARKETING ($3600.00) of the book not the production. To date NO marketing has been done. They expect me to purchase my own books and for me to set up signings and for me to sell my own books. This Company cannot keep employees, every time I try to contact my person they no longer work there. Will I ever use Tate Publishing again? Not in this lifetime. Every website that my book was suppose to be for sale is indicated "out of stock". How can anyone purchase it if they stock it. Very unhappy with them.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2015

As a first-time author (2008) I did not know the right questions to ask... until it was too late. Seven years of unsolved issues caused suspicions about Tate Publishing, yet a newbie has little knowledge of the industry and really, no right to rock the boat. I simply went along for the ride until hidden sales, breach of contract, misrepresentation, etc. finally came to light. I terminated my contract with Tate on June 18, 2015. Most important to me now, is cautioning other writers across America. Unknown authors are particularly attractive to this publisher.

SO...To all writer friends who consider or hold a pending contract with Tate Publishing & Enterprises, LLC of Mustang, Oklahoma, please do thorough research on them first (a good practice with any publisher). To established Tate authors, satisfied or otherwise, I strongly suggest a comparison between your Books-To-Date (BTD) reports and quarterly Royalty Statements. Books sold and paid for should tally up exactly. You may have to pitch a fit before they release any BTD. Keep at it. Don't wait seven years, as I did. All Consumer complaints about Tate (on this website and others) could have been written by me. I just hope and pray as authors speak out loud, Tate administrators who claim to be Christians will admit their mistakes and humbly begin again this time, truly, with Jesus in mind.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2015

I wish I would have read the letters on this website, before being seduced by this company. I would have saved myself money and time. Their sales staff are persistent, with promises that are a siren song to would-be authors - But from the time the ink is dry on the contract and the checks have been cashed there is a different tune. The staff disappear into a maze of phone messages and self-righteous doublespeak, with never the slightest hint of reason or understanding. It is like being continuously talked over. I have not even seen a copy of my book - possibly the ultimate fiction! In the end I wrote directly to Mr. Ryan Tate, who spends much of his time on TV talking about finance. I have heard nothing - nothing! A Christian company built upon deceit and stealing seems like an Oxymoron - but that is the truth. I just hope that I save others from experiencing a humiliating disappointment.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2015

I am currently an author with Tate. I've been reading all these complaints and I feel like I'm reading my own letter. One thing I've learned in my long life is that when one or two may have a grief, it usually is a misunderstanding, but when the grievances are consistent and many, the issues are true. I don't see how Tate can get by with defrauding person after person. It is my understanding if an establish business takes money for a service and does not render said services, that is a felony. Isn't that what Tate is doing?

I signed up with a contract stating I would receive advertisement and royalties. I have sent several emails, spoke with the marketing manager and have been given promise after promise, yet with no avail. I think it's humorous how they do not understand what I mean when I ask for the number of online sales. They send me the number of books I've bought. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they are skirting around the question and will never give me the truth. I think the way Tate handles the production of your book hinders your success. I can't get errors corrected, I have to do my own marketing, I do my own set-ups for book signings, prices of the books are higher than well-known authors. I can go on forever.

I believe Tate sets the authors up for failure. They want you to buy books directly from them than direct traffic to the online bookstores. And if you sell anything online, God forbid if you receive the royalties. As my position with Tate is now... they are ignoring my calls and emails. I'm beginning to think I've been blacklisted. Either way, I'm breaking my contract. If I self-publish, I can buy books at a fraction to what I pay now, I can still have book signings and I will have more control over pricing, corrections and so much more. I would be making more money and I can submit my work to other publishers and agents.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2015

I had my first book Bristol boyz Stomp published by Tate. The experience with editing, cover design and all of production was hard work but also so exciting. The editors I worked with were so talented and I was so proud of my book and my publisher. I answered hundreds of e-mails assuring people that my experience with the company was a good one.

I decided to publish my second book with them too. Since that decision I feel like I was picked up and dropped off in the twilight zone. After months my manuscript was returned and I was told it was ready to go, I just needed to sign off. It was never edited, at all. The e-mails started back and forth. One phone call I received from a Philippine man that did nothing but try to argue with me. I went over the MS and did the best I could to note changes that needed to be made.

The back cover of the book made no sense. The bio they put on there stated my web stats. Five months later the cover is still a disaster, there are mistakes that weren't there on the last pass and I have called, emailed (cc'd) Mrs. Tate and the supposed new production director who used to be the marketing director and waited and got no response except from a Philippine woman who said she wanted to make it right but did nothing.

On top of that we ordered copies of my first book and had a request from a large magazine for a review and were told there were pages missing from the book. I was so humiliated. The paper is different, the cover thinner and not glossy. Now I have not received royalties in months. I know there have been sales. I received an e-mail offering me a trip to New York with Tate executives for a fee of $4999.00. I spend a lot of time in New York so I priced the trip. It would cost me less than $2000 to do the trip on my own, first class. When I asked where the book signings were I got no answer. When I questioned the cost they told me they have to pay the speakers who are Tate staff?

My book is supposed to be released this fall and I have worked so hard to secure media appearances, reviews and author events. I don't even have a book I can sign off on yet. How a company that struggled with bad reviews and made good on them could fall so far I am shocked. I cannot believe the same complaints over and over, dozens of them. I am embarrassed to be with this company. If it isn't made right and I have a published book in my hands that I am proud of in the next few weeks I will be heading to Oklahoma to file a class action suit and it appears I may have a lot of company. This is not something I want to do. It's heartbreaking.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2015

Add me to the number of people who gave Tate $3999. Tate promised to edit my book but did such a poor job. I had people demand their money back at book signings. I have tried to work with Tate to reach an equitable resolution to the editing issue, but was insulted and given options that either required me to buy more books or terminate my contract. I never saw the commercial I was promised nor was my book ever on the bookshelf of any bookstore. To date they have played phone tag and email dodge with me. I wish something could be done to bring justice to the authors who have been done wrong by this company and stop them from victimizing anyone else. In my opinion they are a secular self-publishing company misrepresenting themselves as Christian publishing company. Any errors are intentional as a pun for editing.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2015

Facts: I paid $3,990.00 dollars which was supposed to include editing, marketing, a commercial, etc. The document was edited by someone in the Philippines who could barely speak English. I know this because my Philippine rep told me via email before she quit. It had more errors after I sent it than before. They released it without my permission and FULL of errors. I have emails to prove it! They promised a commercial and it never happened. Then, they tried to offer me social media in place of television exposure. I have emails to prove it! They did not market my book as promised. I had to beg for marketing reports and when I finally got them 90% of the contact information for the media outlets was incorrect. I asked them about it and received the same scripted response, it's computer generated. I have emails to prove it!

They send minimum 2 emails a week harassing you to purchase your own books! Yet, they do nothing to help you get into the bookstores. In fact, Books-A-Million will not even work with this publishing company. Don't believe me, call their corporate office! Tate will say this is a lie because their authors have book signings in Books-A-Million stores. Look at their calendar. But what they aren't telling you it's because the authors have to pull strings to get their books delivered to those local stores, but the books WON'T be added to the stores "carry" list. Here again, call Books-A-Million corporate office, they will gladly confirm! Plus, I have emails from them to prove it!

Tate pockets all your money. How can I prove this... I had several bookstores order books through Ingram for me 10 months ago. I have yet to be paid a dime from those paid in full book purchases. They stated it was because Ingram hadn't paid them. Ingram told my legal team otherwise! Not to mention, I sold, and have receipts for over 300 book purchases from family and friends. I've received $9 dollars total in royalty payments since my book released a year ago. This company is about to be slapped with a class action lawsuit. DO NOT USE THEM!!! Please do not believe a word of their scripted responses to these posts calling people liars. SCAM ARTIST!

Original review: Aug. 21, 2015

I can only say good things about Tate Publishing. From moment one, the process flowed from department to department. They have competent staff in locations other than the USA, but they were all professional and highly skilled. The only delays were on MY end, where I had some events coming in the way of my personal goal deadlines in getting things out to Tate. But, my book is ready, and it is beautiful. Yes, there were some back-and-forth small differences in what the finished book should be like. But those all got resolved in the process. The Tate staff paid attention to my comments and requests and responded faster than lightning. They even made design suggestions that I went with instead of my own cover design. They want to sell books and so do I! I am a happy author with Tate.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2015

I supposedly had an agent Alexia ** and her colleague Kortney ** assure me that I could make payments to take on a 6 month basis until my work was published. Once I sent my signed contract with my banking information, the full amount for the work was taken out of my account. I have been calling for about a week now and someone just called me but did not answer when I picked up the phone. I just called the number and it was Alexia **, but she did not answer and so I left a message AGAIN!! This is so disappointing and DESPICABLE from people who call themselves CHRISTIANS!!!

Updated 9/23/2015 - I had started a conversation with Alexia ** of Tate Publishing about publishing a children's book of mine. I told her I could pay $100 each month until the book was published. I basically work part time and have limited funds. Once I submitted my bank information, the entire amount for publishing was taken right out of my account without mine even submitting any work. I called thinking they had made a mistake, asking them to take out the $100 and refund the rest of my money. At this point, I was giving them the benefit of a doubt, but no one would return my calls.

Finally after I called the Attorney General's office, a Mark ** contacted me and said, he would get to the bottom of my complaint and let me know what was happening. After a week or so, he emailed back saying I had a contract and they were moving forward when I had submitted no work for publishing. I am livid. They are despicable people calling themselves Christians. I have no intention of submitting any work to be published by them. I just want my money back!! I think they are running a scam operation and I think the FBI needs to get involved.

Original review: July 15, 2015

I sent a manuscript of my new book in 2011. I have talked with Tate publishing recently and they have told me that I have to market my own book. When I requested that my manuscript be returned to me, Tate publishing tells me that my manuscript was shredded. Who does this? I have been working on this book for 4 years. I have read some of the reviews online about this company and decided to call them and ask about the reviews so that they could clear it all up for me. I'm not happy with tate publishing and I will be calling the BBB and also the FBI. There will be consequences for Tate Publishing's actions.

Original review: July 13, 2015

Tate Publishing is a Ponzi scam. They claim to be a Christian publisher but they lie at every stage of the production. I have yet to get my full refund after filing my complaint to the BBB and the Attorney General Office.

Original review: July 10, 2015

In 1986 I began publishing my first two books with a company called Publish America. Being a new author, and excited to see my works in print, I trusted this company and should have done my research. This company promised great book publishing deals just like Tate Publishing, and both books were a BIG HITS, but sadly monies were stolen from me. The largest amount I received from Publish America in 7 years was $ 110.00. WHAT A JOKE!! I hired an Entertainment Attorney and ended up being scammed again. Paid him and never heard from him again.

Years later, I began writing a series of children's books. Guess what, along came Tate Publishing and WOW was I happy. I thought God has sent me to a company who will treat me fair and finally be paid for 30 years of hard work. All of a sudden I saw this website and I began to feel sick. Oh my God, NOT AGAIN. All these people being hurt and now my work is added to the pain. I've begged for a quarterly report and even a royalty check. Guess what!! My book's one year anniversary is August 2015, and still NO RESPONSE!! I refuse to allow another company to steal from me.

Original review: July 3, 2015

Last November and December, I requested that my second book not be released due to conflict of interest, and Tate agreed to do so, but I have recently found it on Amazon, listed on the web from Tate, and several others. I broke the contract with Tate Publishing, but then they sent me a termination letter wanting me sign it in good faith, declaring that they not be held in fault, harm, or reserve for me ending the contract. I have spoken with a lawyer, which can possibly help me. For those of you looking to end your contract with Tate Publishing, seek out a copyright lawyer. There is one in Oklahoma that works out of state with individuals.

Original review: July 2, 2015

My family and I wrote this company, tried calling them, but received absolutely no response whatsoever from them. My daughter is extremely bipolar and has written devastating lies about my family. We tried explaining this to the company, our family issue was even on file in court for everyone to see and read, and I encouraged the company to do so, before publishing this book. As I stated, they absolutely ignored us. The only comfort we have is that my daughter is not as famous as she thinks she is, and hopefully, it will fade into the background.

I hope this company does to her, what it has apparently done to the majority of people on this review website. If this is supposed to be a "Christian based" company, I would hate to see the opposite! My daughter said the book was "fiction, based on true events", which doesn't make sense, using our middle names. Wow, what great anonymity! In my opinion, this company is vile and are snakes in the grass.

Original review: June 30, 2015

When I signed my contract in Nov. 2012, I was told that once I paid the initial "marketing fee" that I would never have to pay for another book to be published. Now I'm getting emails pushing book sales (only paperback, no hardcover) for my children's book and promoting the "buy 200 books, get a lifetime contract". Was anyone else told this and now getting conflicting messages? As far as having my book published, it was a nightmare. I sent every single thing that they needed to begin production.

My husband is a video editor and even had the book narrated with sound effects for the E-book to accompany the illustrations and manuscript. Three times I was contacted by three different editors to choose an illustrator. Three times I sent back the answer that "I" was the illustrator and had sent them with the manuscript, just as were specified by Tate. Production was delayed three months because of this mistake. This, along with other mismanagement of my manuscript and illustrations pushed the production time to 14 months! And all the work had been done for them - every single bit of it!

I wrote to Tate Chief Editors and asked why I should even consider having my second book published there. I got a curt, unemotional, take it or leave it response that has left me with a bad, bad taste in my mouth. I completely sell out of hardcover books as soon as I order them, but recently have been told that it could be six months to a year to order hardcover books, plus the cost is outrageous. I asked if there would EVER be a special on hardcovers and was told it was very unlikely. If you're not concerned about marketing, sales, timely and quality work, then by all means, pay for a nonexistent marketing ploy. Then sit back and get ready to do all the work yourself, and even then, your hard work might be mishandled and set aside for months.

Original review: June 23, 2015

Having read most of the complaints against Tate Publishing, I can only say "Amen." My experience was eerily similar to most of the disgruntled, unsatisfied authors' experiences. Mine is only more of the same, but if you put together enough raindrops, you got a flood! They were all smiles and returned phone calls until they cashed my check. I made the mistake of paying for a "ghost writer" to help edit and give other advice. She wanted me to dump the central elements of my story and argued about semantics. One example sticks in my mind. She objected to the use of the medical term "OCD," saying that most people wouldn't understand the abbreviation. After easily finding five examples in the general literature, she said no more. My complaints regarding her lack of knowledge to her supervisor was taken with an angry reply from the supervisor. She defended her ghost writer vehemently.

After they published my books, I was force fed the notion of buying 300-400 books, which I resisted. I bought 100 books. They sent me a list of possible venues in my area for book signing events with the notation "no answer" regarding their contacting these venues. I had to make all the calls myself. When these book stores asked if this was a self-published book, I naively answered "yes" and their interest plummeted to "no sale." I was only able to schedule one signing at a coffee shop in a suburb. Tate, to this day, continues to send me emails wanting to sell me books that I will have to go out and beat the bushes, attempting to sell them. Their gag is to sell the books to the authors and let the authors do all the scut work. This was not the picture that I was pitched when I was in negotiations with Tate.

They promised to market my book and to get me on book shelves by the strength of their name. I individually tried to get Books-A-Million to get me on their shelf. They said "we don't place an author's work on our shelves unless they have already been published." I received similar replies from everyone I contacted. I contacted literary editors at many newspaper, but again they were not going to review a self-published book. This meant no one was interested in a self-published book. Tate's representative alluded to telling them that I wasn't self-published: a blatant lie on top of their other lies. The Christianity shield that they use in their advertising didn't have much effect on me as I have run across several "christian companies" in my commercial real estate dealings. I mark it off to their sin list that will have to be explained when they face our maker after they die.

I have great pity for the televangelists and others who use our Lord God's name to further their own agenda. If they were honest, it would probably be a misdemeanor, but they're not. Tate promised me the moon, and I didn't even get dinner when they screwed me. They're only hurting themselves with their lying and use of Christ Jesus as part of their pitch and then disgracing His name by cheating, lying, and other nefarious actions. It is real easy to identify real Christians by their words and actions. Real Christians don't use the religion to obfuscate and lie their way into your pocketbook. Tate blatantly lies about the publishing experience. I really got a schooling for my $5000.00 (with a ghost writer who had never been published, I think that she wasn't even old enough to vote). Don't use Tate!!!

Original review: June 18, 2015

Royalties - For some reason it must be incredibly hard to put two checks that total to about twelve dollars in the mail. Money that I earned. They will take the time to send you a statement teaser in an email, but do the checks come in the mail. Nooo!!!

Original review: June 16, 2015

For those who of you who wish to become a published writer please continue to write your query letters and submit them to legitimate literary agents. Unless you don't have a problem signing with a Print-On-Demand house such as Tate and paying either $990 for retaining a publicist or $3990 for retaining a publicist, website, commercial and social media page.

Yes, Tate will publish your book. Tate has a team of representatives who will take you from each stage of editing, layout, cover art, production - just like their contract states. However, be prepared to make all of your edits, even correcting the numerous errors that the Tate editors make while laying out your book. Also, be prepared to scan hundreds of pictures to create your own book cover because the cover art team has no idea what your book is about so they can't create your book cover for you. After you sign off on your edited manuscript for production and enter the marketing phase is when Tate sends you their "Guide to Marketing" and your red flags will begin to fly at full mast. Tate will publish your book and Tate will sell your book - to you and only to you.

I signed with Tate in August 2014, retaining a publicist only but quickly discovered in April 2015 that Tate is a Print-On-Demand publisher. As I began making phone calls and asking how and where my book would be marketed that I was told "point-blank" that "the cold hard facts are that no one markets to bookstores anymore so Tate will provide me with numerous offers and incentives to purchase my book so that I can sell them on my own." That is Print-On-Demand.

If you are alright with this scheme, then by all means, sign but understand that Tate will put a very high MSRP on your book and then tell you that you can purchase your book for 60% off. My book was priced at $31.99 (60% off is $13). Do the math. They claim that since you are buying your book at a discount then you can turn around and sell it for whatever price you want obtaining a full royalty vs. their royalty of 4% off MSRP. So, I posed a question to Tate after I entering the marketing phase - why did I hire a publicist for $990 if all Tate can do is sell my books to me? I received no answer, instead all I received was more offers and incentives to buy my books. Tate even sent me an offer - that for $1,249 they will put my book put in the New York Times Bestsellers Review... or, if I purchase 500 books (at $13/book) that they would submit my book for free. ($13 x 500 = $ 6,500) Do the math.

I requested a termination of my contract and am contacting both ConsumerAffairs and the Oklahoma Attorney General to assist with me getting a refund of the $990 I paid for a publicist I never "received" nor will get because Tate only sells my books to me. My problem with Tate is the continued misrepresentation. Had their website and employees said "We are a Print-On-Demand publisher" then I would've steered clear from them. I only purchased 50 books and will be hosting my one and only book signing in July. I decided to terminate my contract after I was told that I would have to purchase my books for all of my book signings because Tate does not provide any. I was also shocked to learn in Tate's "Guide to Marketing" that I am to NEVER contact a book store. I wrote a book, why can't I contact a bookstore?

My readers have told me that I wrote an exceptional book and need to find legitimate representation so I'm focusing on my other books and will continue to pound the pavement contacting literary agents with queries. Tate will publish your book like they say but they will only market it to you... so why are they charging new authors' fees for publicists?

Original review: June 11, 2015

When I first found Tate on the web, they sounded legit with all the promises they made, how they were so Christian, and the number one publisher for new authors. And they were once they have a signed contract and my 3990.00 in hand, they promised me I would have the best book possible. After SIX months of waiting, my manuscript finally made it into production, which should have only taken up to FOUR at the most. As for their so-called editing, a man called me within three months prior to production, asking if I wanted to SKIP editing and go right into layout.

My immediate reply was, "No." I still have email to back this up with. Once I did receive the so-called edited copy in PDF, it was followed by an email saying I had TEN DAYS to go over it. The kicker about this was, I could make 100 or less corrections. So what did I do? I had my aunt help me rush through it to make additional corrections not realizing the multiple errors that Tate had added on. I did have the know-how to write a book and Tate took advantage of that when I found out no one had read the manuscript before offering me the contract. On a further note, Tate will LIE to get what they want.

Original review: June 5, 2015

I am using a false name, not hide myself but to protect myself when I say that I was trapped when I signed Tate's contract. Once they had my money in hand, I was up the creek without a paddle. Over the years that I have pleaded with them to correct my books descriptions, they have ignored them. I have dealt with a numerous amount of people that call themselves, editors, marketers, managers, and of things, your contact person that is supposed help you when you have question, right? Well, Tate doesn't, they have a caller ID that shows my number and they will either not answer nor will they return my calls.

Yes, Tate is the largest publisher for a first-time author, but think about this. If we, the consumer is complaining about this company, then there is a reason behind it all, such as their editing. That now, is a joke in itself. Tate takes and takes, but does not deliver on their promises. So, if you're reading this, I implore you to seek other means for your material. Check out the literary agents, even if you have to keep changing your query letters to make them better, someone will eventually take it.

Original review: June 5, 2015

I signed a contract with Tate in the fall of 2012. I was initially pleased with the communication and how the editing and production process went. I was also pleased with the marketing department, who assisted with scheduling book signings and interviews, until the spring of 2014. All the individuals I had worked with were suddenly gone, replaced by many staff members based in another country. At that point all marketing efforts seemed to stop and communication with my "team" became impossible. Tate's marketing strategy seemed to be that of offering authors deals or specials on buying their own books to peddle themselves. I attempted to make suggestions regarding internet marketing ideas, and had a difficult time ever getting a response from those messages.

When I became utterly frustrated with my "marketing team" I worked my way up the management level, leaving emails and phone messages imploring someone to call and speak with me. Messages were either answered with placating promises, or not at all. Finally, upon reading so many Consumer Affairs reports that were similar to mine, I ended my contract with Tate one month ago. I work in a customer satisfaction driven industry, and it is unbelievable to me that not a single Tate representative attempted to salvage our business relationship. I am happy to be done with the frustration, anxiety and disappointment of working with Tate.

Original review: June 3, 2015

Page editorial process with their "Publication Coordinator" and their VP of operations. They want to handle problems via email, which is always delayed a day or two, and not all problems can be handled via email. They seem to have a "take it or leave it" attitude. They say they are "in partnership" with you but, with their attitude, they come across like a bullying boss. I have asked to speak to the President of Operations; I'll let your readers know how that goes. On a good note, my experience with their "in house" literary agents was great, it just seem to degrade once I was handed over to the Publication Coordination Dept.

Tate Publishing Company Information