1.45/5

Mustang, OK

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

255 Tate Publishing Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 12, 2016

After many months of asking for a financial statements from the beginning to now I still have not received them. I know that my books are selling and I have been getting some quarterly checks under $2.00 total. I have not heard from anyone at all and when I do they say "I will forward your email to such and such"... I do not recommend them if you are thinking of publishing your book.

Original review: June 9, 2016

I too have had the same experience with this company. I can't get a call back unless they think I'm going to place an order. I receive multiple emails every week with a new special for me to buy my own book. I was promised a professional Marketing Representative. On their website, www.tatepublishing.com they clearly state: "Every author is assigned a Marketing Consultant (an industry expert) to assist in finding the right markets in which to sell in the retail bookstore market and beyond, maximizing every author's reach and success." Who is this? Why didn't I get one? My contacts are no industry experts but rather sales people who are only interested in my credit card number. I have hesitated writing a review thinking things might get better. Tonight, a concerned friend sent me this link - **. No wonder it's so hard to get books on time. Apparently authors are beginning to file lawsuits. Needless to say, I'm very concerned about the future of my book.

Original review: June 4, 2016

After they received my approx. $4785 "initial author investment" they basically dropped me like a hot rock. It became slowly obvious to me that they had no intention of putting forth much effort at all to make my book successful otherwise, it might sell 5,000 copies and they would have to refund my "initial author investment". And I also believe that the quarterly sales reports they send me with their tiny commission checks are fraudulent. The checks are so small I don't even bother cashing them. I KNOW they have sold more copies of my book than they report to me.

I feel it may be time for a class-action lawsuit against Tate Publishing. I have every reason to believe that none of them actually read my manuscript at all before they "accepted" it for publishing, especially not that con artist and liar Trinity Tate. The proofreader was adequate, but that was about it. The cover design they came up with initially was pathetic, so I had to practically design my own. And the first copies they printed were off-color and literally fell apart when you opened them. Ever since then, I am constantly inundated with emails from James **, their "Senior Marketing Consultant" to throw more money away on their garbage. What I really can't believe is that they would go so far as to claim to be a Christian company to hide their evil, greedy scam! They are a wolf in sheep's clothing!

Original review: May 31, 2016

I wrote a book, not my first work rather my first attempt at publishing. Tate Publishing liked my work informing me that they would "love to see it on the shelves". I was pleasantly surprised. I have been self-employed since the age of 24 and now 68. I know a considerable amount with regards to business. The work or manuscript which I submitted was in my opinion worthy of publication, most authors believe this. I was cynical in the beginning, however with each contact Tate Publishing Staff responded with what I saw as sincerity and honesty. My book was not hastily written, my experience with publishing was 'zero'.

As I drew closer to editing my excitement escalated as would be expected. I was asked for a fee, yet could not afford anything towards the publication. I continued with my communications and suddenly found myself writing a brief biography, the assignment of an editing and production team and the work began. All fees were suspended or given to me and my work by the grace of Tate Publishing. My editing team had their hands full. I had written a 230-page book with no chapters. I used underlined topics introducing what should have been submitted in "chapter form". My thought of writing one chapter was soon done away with.

My editor was very pleasant to work with handing over more than helpful suggestions with considerable patience. One editing begins things need to roll. Tate Publishing helped me put to form a great message I was hoping to get to the public eye. I received nothing but professionalism, astute attention and absolute truth in all that Tate Publishing accomplished for me. I hold them in deep respect for the help extended in aiding me with my new venture, authoring books. I was invited to New York for a three-day signing event. Naturally there was a cost involved. I could not afford this and Tate Publishing offered to reduce my cost by over 30%. Even at this I could not afford this great opportunity, yet to the day thank Tate Publishing for this great offer. This would have meant enormous exposure of my book. I continue to receive offers from Tate Marketing which are all appreciated.

Many feel that after the book is written that it's all up to the publisher to sell it for you. This is an incorrect angle of vision. This is where a great portion of our work as authors begins, at least in the beginning until we accomplish an audience. Tate Publishing, in every step of production, enhanced my day with positive and honest methods which in turn had a "ripple effect" on other in my life. I was able to take my joy or happiness into the world around me. This is spreading a positive by being positive.

The willingness of each employee to help and guide me through my first publication was one of the most impressive attitudes of reality that I have seen in any company during my last 35 years. I would suggest Tate Publishing to any author, new or established. Once again I give a serious and well earned "thanks" and appreciation to Tate Publishing. To Consumer Affairs - I hope not to have infringed on "guidelines" My only "business" with Tate Publishing is the book published for me with possible publications in the future. What I have stated is true from my angle of vision.

Original review: May 31, 2016

After retiring I self-published two books; a mystery fiction, and a nonfiction book made up of interesting world-travel stories of my 40 years on the road. I finished a short sequel to the first mystery fiction, and started looking for a publisher that wanted new authors. Tate Publishing responded positively to my manuscript. We concluded a contract wherein I paid Tate to develop the finished paperback, beginning to end.

My first clue of my publisher's incompetence came as some irresponsible manager assigned a "Project Manager" to begin the production stage... After several weeks when I heard nothing from Tate. This young man, a Chinese with four names, was from the beginning, totally without a clue of what his job was. He could not communicate, and was fired from the company a few weeks later.

I was assigned a new "Project Manager." A Filipino young woman who seemed equally inept at communicating, and getting answers to my questions. We ultimately seemed to improve our communications (I give it a C- grade however). The manuscript editing process began OK, but there was zero comments about suggestions for plot improvement or other ideas. Punctuation and spelling was the main editing work. Something I really needed little help with.

I then began to get 'bombed' with repeated attempts to get me to order my own book, which still did not exist. This "Marketing Consultant" did not answer any of my questions, and only seemed interested in remaining silent while he sent emails to authors soliciting us to buy books and other promotional pieces. Throughout the full process, I noticed an often repeated mistake made by my contact persons. I would refer to an e-mail that referenced a specific item. Most times my project manager or other contact did not know what I was talking about, and seemed to be unable to answer most of my questions.

Lastly my assigned "Author Representative," while a pleasant young man, was unable to communicate in proper English, and wrote as a 12-year old might. Management, without supervision, let this go on and on. A definite embarrassment for a publisher! As an experienced businessman and writer, I viewed TATE Publishing as a company in which no one seemed qualified to do their job, and communication and supervision is non-existent. There were other serious problems, but I am getting too depressed to continue. I view the $4000 I paid Tate to be a ripoff, and largely wasted. I am still waiting for a royalty payment, and some of the "professional" marketing I was promised. I have two other potential authors that, at this time, I have steered away from Tate.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tate Publishing?

Original review: May 30, 2016

Wow. I am ironically relieved to have read all of the reviews of which authors have experienced deceptive practices from Tate Publishing because it has given me the relief of knowing it's not just me, I'm not going crazy, and my intuition was true. I was one of the 4000.00 paying consumers (2010). I too experienced the rude awakening of their deceptive and untruthful promises, every one you see listed from zero marketing (except to blast your email once a week with "specials" for YOU, the author, to buy books from them).

I read what the one lady wrote below when she said she's been in sales all her life and knew that marketing was 100% her responsibility and that she's happy w/ Tate. I respect that, however, on their contract they tell you THEY will solely market and promote you and that has been the most deceiving part of this journey... They make you think they are a "traditional" publisher. That is very deceptive. I was not looking to self-publish again. They tricked me into believing that my dream was coming true ("we only accept 4% of the manuscripts sent to us. Congratulations..." yata, yata, yata).

I am just very hurt that I was not knowledgeable enough to know the difference between traditional publishers and vanity publishers which Tate would be considered to be. I now teach workshops on the publishing journey so as to help other aspiring authors not to fall into traps and to be well informed authors when it comes to publishing. God had a plan for my book and I know that many people were blessed by it but I definitely experienced a lot of emotional setbacks as an author from this traumatic experience with Tate, and have been seeking God's help in moving beyond this and not giving up on my ministry and my dream.

They are on top of it once they have your money. After the product is finished. They are finished, and YOU are the only marketing they are concerned about. Shame on them, they will reap what they sow. I too have not received the royalties due to me and I stopped fighting to get even a report of books sold since its release. Any publisher should be able to report that to their authors. Tate cannot. After numerous calls and emails. May God have mercy on them. And yes, I am interested in a class action lawsuit. My email address is **.

Original review: May 25, 2016

Well first let me say that I am extremely disappointed in Tate Publishing. When I began searching for a publisher I knew nothing about the industry. I just had a love of writing and a finished product I wanted to share with the world. I submitted my book to Tate and they came back with an interest to publish. I was extremely excited. I did however Google them to find out more about them. I was not wanting to be a self published author for one thing. I came across this site and some others that made me very weary of using Tate. I was so eager to publish though that I took my concerns to Trinity Tate-Edgerton in an email. She replied to that email with an two page response that in the end put my concerns to rest. She cited professionally paid bloggers, disgruntled employees, disgruntled authors that had been turned down by Tate to publish their work, and more. So I went ahead and paid them to start the process.

I was told the payment was for my end of the marketing of the book. (I will say it was only 800.00 and not the thousands others seem to have been charged.) I went through the publication process and I received my book about 9 months later. I am very happy with my book and I bought about 500.00 worth as I had already sold that many to family and friends. Here is where things start going south. I so far have gotten 3 book signing events from Tate. All were in out of the way, hole in the wall places. A small ice cream shop, a small cafe, and a small fried pie place. Tate wants you to try and bring 20-30 people to each one. Well that is hard to do. I sold 11 books at the first one and 4 books at the next two. So a total of 19 books. Tate says that informed the local media about the events and sent me a roster of the contacts. I contacted each one and not one of them said they received anything from Tate.

I started noticing immediately that I was being pushed a couple of times a week to purchase my own books from my "marketing" consultant. I also have gone through 5 "marketing" consultants in the 6 months since my release date. I think what happens is that these people that get hired as marketing reps figure out pretty quickly that their job is to sell books to the authors and not much to do with actual marketing. I have NOT received the Royalty check that Tate says I earned from them for the amount of $9.60 and I have been trying to get answers for 6 months on this issue. Each time I ask about it I have to re-explain to my "Author Service Rep" what is going on. Like it is the first time he has heard about it. He is also Filipino and based in the Philippines, so there is a communication issue straight away.

I have emailed and asked Trinity to look into this and I have been ignored so far. I am saddened by all of this because I began the process of publishing a second book with them through their "author for life" program before I gave up on them. This program allows for publishing as many books as you wish through them at no charge. However, I am finding that this current project is getting nowhere fast. Probably because I am not paying for it. Another complaint I have is with the free audio book download that comes with every book. It is still not available 6 months after the official release date.

So to recap: no marketing, no royalties, no audio book, no quality book signing events and no book signing events period for the last month, no representation, no response from the company now that I am complaining. Now I am considered a self published author and none of the traditional publishers or agents want anything to do with my book or series.

I recently joined the Society of Children Book Writers and Illustrators and went to their Spring conference in OKC. I spoke to several real authors, agents, and traditional publishing houses and guess what? All of them said to stay away from Tate or to be very careful with them. I am so disappointed and lesson learned. My advice to you is if you are an author, join one these valid organizations such as the SCBWI and go to conferences. There you will meet the right people. Oh and by the way, I didn't hear a peep out of Tate Publishing about a major writers conference happening right down the road from them and myself. Why? Probably because they know that their reputation in the industry is piss poor and that would be found out by you as an author if you went to the conference.

Updated on 01/13/2017:I have had pretty much the same experience with them as all of you. Every issue you hear about on here is absolutely true. Today I contacted an attorney and sent them the contracts that I had signed along with emails and examples of how they are in breach of contract with me. I live in Oklahoma and my attorney was already well aware of Tate. Here is what is happening according to him. Their operation in the Philippines was shut down. It didn't sound like it was a voluntary shutdown and Tate is spinning this as "they are bring jobs back to the USA". Not sure if anyone else received the email from Tim **, the Vice President of Production, or not, but that is his spin on it.

This is one reason no one is responding to you. They have no employees to speak of. They are also being sued by Xerox Corporation, which leases some of the equipment Tate uses for its 24-hour-a-day printing facility, has filed a $1.7 million lawsuit against Tate Publishing and Ryan Tate, alleging defaults on restructured lease and service agreements and on a promissory note executed to address previous debt, and seeking repossession of $450,000 in leased equipment as well as a money judgment of $463,786.90 against Ryan Tate personally, as Guarantor on the promissory note. Others are lining up behind them, including authors, to take them to court. My attorney is of the opinion that they will be filing for bankruptcy soon.

The problem with trying to sue them is that in every contract they have and that you sign with them there is an Arbitration Clause in the contract. Section 3, page 7, point 15 (in the children's contract). It states that if there are ever any problems the author agrees to go to arbitration. When you sign the contract you agreed to this. IF you wish to skip this process and argue to a court that it is a stall tactic or a waste of time then you will have to hire an attorney and take them to court. However, you will be paying for that attorney and probably never get anything out of them. Bottom line is this; they are a terrible company, deceptive people, and are NOT Christian. They prey on people's wish to be published and my attorney has said that he does not even look over the contracts anymore when people bring them to him. He simply tells them to run away from Tate Publishing as fast as they can. Good luck to you all.

Resolution response: May 31, 2016

Since this review, I have gotten an amiable response from Tate Publishing. The Vice President, Director of Sales is resolving the issues that I am having with my book. He addressed, "When we do find an author like you that has a legitimate problem, we always want to address it at the highest level, and we take your concerns very seriously. We will always do that and always desire to fix any problems, just like the problems we had with the binding of your books. That issue is rare, but if it occurs, we will always replace the books to your satisfaction."

It is a relief to find that the issues are being resolved. They are diligently working on every aspect of the publishing of my book. I appreciate his professionalism in resolving the problems.

Original review: May 20, 2016

I read all the complaints from the other authors. It sounds like Tate Publishing has some major issues to iron out. Whether they do it is another story in itself. I have had all the same issues that the other authors have had. It was a nightmare to publish my Cookies, Cookies, and More Cookies book. By the time it got to the final editing, I wasn't sure if they were going to print the unedited version or the edited one. Yes, there are words missing in the recipes and mistypes. My original that I sent in was correct and the way I wanted it. Anyway, now the book is falling apart, my friends cannot get their books, and I can't even get my books. It has been months. I have the same scenario about the royalist checks. You get enough to by a coffee or two. As authors, what can we do? Do we need to group together and sue or just take this as a financial loss and major disappointment?

Original review: May 20, 2016

Tate Publishing sought me out several times after I self-published my book, NO TIME TO CRY - One Mother's Will to Survive Against All Odds back in 2013. However, I graciously declined each time until the terms were right 'for me'. I've been writing my whole life and know all too well that events in the literary world do not happen overnight.

I signed with Tate in April of last year, and they dutifully worked with me as "I" created/designed my own book covers. Their production staff were all helpful, patient and prompt in returning all my phone calls during the grueling process, not to mention meeting their deadline. There was a mutual respect at all times. With everything complete, they kept their word and officially published my book on September 1, 2015 as promised. Tate scheduled a book signing at a local cafe, however that was a bust. Not because of Tate, but because it was not good timing for a new author. They didn't tell me that. I just knew. Therefore I chalked it up to another learning experience.I was first published at a national level in 1995. I am the recipient of a national prestigious award from Writer's Digest. I have written and edited for Disney, BVHE, Blu-ray, and ABC Studios. However, this is my first book.

Being a true "writer" is more than just writing. It entails tons and tons of ample patience, contacts, networking, social media info, word-of-mouth, humility and grace. Let's face it: if this were the ideal job that made you rich quick, everyone would do it. Real writers LOVE to write. It's not a duty or chore. It's like breathing to us.

Beware of bashing reviews. Unlike other things like, singing & dancing talents, the literary world is a whole different genre. People don't just "See" our books then jump to give it an immediate 5 star review (like a youtube video). They have to READ it, study it, pick it apart, read it AGAIN, then blog about it. I have often met folks (with the best intentions) who, have never written anything of substance, yet they wake up one day and 'decide to become a writer.' Next, they complain they never have any time to write... Then they do nothing but complain about their publisher's so-called inadequacies, thus leading them to bad mouth them in online reviews because they think things aren't happening "fast enough."

Don't get me wrong. There are some money hungry greed only publishing firms out there that deserve to be exposed for false advertising. However, I don't feel Tate is one of them. At least not from my own personal experience thus far. For those of you who are new to the publishing world; read these reviews with a grain of salt. I have yet to find the perfect publisher. Sometimes all it takes is some added patience.

Original review: May 15, 2016

It seems that we have all had a bad experience with Tate. I am still waiting three months for my first order. We are told to market our products, arrange book signings etc, but then the books don't turn up. So we rearrange for the next month. Still no books. Then rearrange again. No books. It's time something is done about this company. Whoever read these reviews we are not been malicious. We are just ordinary people who wants an opportunity to publish our books but Tate has now turned things upside down. For what? And it burns me to know they are using 'Christian' to market themselves. Enough is enough. It's time for justice.

Original review: May 12, 2016

Sadly, I have written three books for Tate and only had one royalty check though I've signed a lot of store and online bought copies from friends and family. I hope no one self-publishes because this is a common theme. Really let down by it all. I've spent $4,000 alone on a contract and my own purchases with the company. I hope this will be a lesson to all. Get an agent to help support you and find someone who appreciates your art!

Original review: May 11, 2016

I am new to the world of self-publishing. Even though this is my 2nd project, I am still learning about the wolves in sheep's clothing. The purpose of my writing projects are to educate, help and inspire people to have a deeper walk with our Creator, Jesus Christ. I thought that Tate Publishing would help me further my mission. My book (Bought Lessons) hasn't even went to print yet but I have a list of complaints that seem to be growing instead of decreasing, which is troubling...very troubling. For starters I signed with Tate because of the low upfront cost to begin the project, that was the only reason I didn't re-sign with WestBow Press.

The financial process, to-date, has not been painful but my project manager has been less than appeasing - from ignoring my request for assistance with the cover design (we settled on a Shutterstock photo) to the lack of personable communication. Mr. ** prefers email over conversation despite my many documented protest, complaints, emails and phone calls. If this is how my project is being handled where my request as a paying customer are treated as second thoughts, I can guarantee you that I will not be partnering with Tate to publish any other works...ever. Word to the wise, when the negative reviews outweigh the positive ones - run Forrest, run!

Original review: May 9, 2016

Are you new to the world of publishing? Have you been working on getting your book, many times referred to as your “baby” which sometimes takes years to finish, published and marketed by a company which promises to take care of all this for you? I thought I had found that type of company when I signed up with Tate Publishing and had my first book, The Last Stowaway - R.M.S. Queen Mary, published in 2012. I would like to tell you of my experience with Tate Publishing.

I, presumably like every other writer seeking Tate as his or her publisher, was conned into believing that by paying almost $4,000 I would receive the services of a marketing company that was (or is) supposedly affiliated with Tate Publishing and was led to believe that this marketing company would market my book to all the available stores or outlets that handle the job. They would leave no leaf unturned to assure that my book would get out into the public's eye. Yeah, right. The only place I found my book distributed to a brick and mortar store was when I had to bring my own books to a Walden Book Store to do a book signing. Other than that, the marketing ploy is restricted to online outlets only, something I could have done myself for a lot less than $4,000.

What I did seem to discover is that Tate Publishing does NOT have a separate marketing company, at least not one I could find out about. Jim **, who is the “Marketing Manager” for Tate, picks up the slack here. You're told by Jim, that Jim, is the liaison between you and this phantom marketing company and any questions regarding such company have to go through him. But wait, the good part is yet to come.

Tate Publishing promises their authors a royalty check every quarter of the year if one has money coming but doesn't necessarily send you the check or money you have coming. Tate Publishing owes me a royalty check from last year and one from the year before. I've addressed this issue with Jim ** as well as with his understudy, Theresa **, more than once and have only received a runaround. It appears no one wants to look into why I never received those checks and they absolutely will not get back to me with a solution or explanation of why. It appears when this happens to an author, that author is just out of luck. Again, there’s more…

I have yet to receive a royalty check from Tate Publishing that isn't laden with almost as many distribution chargebacks as books sold. As a matter of fact, when the dust settles, I receive only about 40 cents on each book I'm given credit for. But there also seems to be something else astray here. Tate Publishing does not distribute books to brick and mortar stores but only to online distribution points of purchase. When an online store, such as Amazon or B&N, receives an order for a book, that book is then ordered from or through the publisher or printer. Online stores have no need to stockpile books. They also don't allow the return of books after being sent and read. Is there something amiss here? Where are distribution chargebacks coming from? This was the other question I presented to Jim and Theresa and never received any kind of satisfactory answer.

I've spoken with other authors who have used Tate Publishing as their publisher and received similar stories expressing dislike for Tate's manipulations of the same issues. Of course not every author is always completely satisfied with their publishing company, but it appears to me that Tate Publishing is lying and stealing from their authors, or at least, from me because that’s exactly what I’d call it: theft. Moreover, if they've done that to one author then they’d probably do it to others.

Prospective authors should be aware of what they’re getting into with Tate Publishing. When reading about their company, on their website, one of the first things one comes across is that they are God-loving and God-fearing people. That was a red flag that showed itself and one to which I unfortunately did not pay attention to.

Original review: May 7, 2016

I signed a contract with Tate Publishing more than a year ago to publish my children's story. I did everything they asked me to do as far as preparing the story for publication including letting them redo the pictures. Other than one word that they spelled wrong in the book, the story and pictures was top notch. In the contract they said they would send out announcements on the Internet which they did. They said they would spend $26,000 to publish which they did, I think. They stated they would set up book signings. I saw only one done and that was a complete flop because Barnes and Noble did not follow through on what the manager said she would do. I left their store in Ohio not happy at all.

I live in a very small town in Pennsylvania and book signings are not something businesses in this town do. Other than that one (1) book signing, they made no further attempt to get me more book signings. I even ordered 50 books on top of the 10 they gave me for free. I ordered business cards, posters and I have gone around the town I live in handing out cards. I even have had my youngest and oldest daughter in Houston and San Antonio handing out my cards and plugging my book.

To date, I have not seen one penny in return although in January of 2016 it showed I had made $8.89, then this month it shows I made $11.51 which I most likely won't see. I called several times about the first check, it never came. Why would I expect this one to be any different? Tate did what I consider a very poor job of promoting my book. Being a new author, it's hard as can be to find someone to publish a new author without having to put out thousands of dollars out of pocket which most don't have. I am not at all happy with Tate, I don't honestly feel they represented me like they said they would.

Original review: April 2, 2016

I've seen other reviews both good and bad but I decided to make my own judgment and give it a go. Tate has been an excellent publisher throughout the process. From phase updates, to polite and professional project managers, to EXCELLENT cover designers, to excellent editors, so on. So far, it's an A in all categories. I'm not "new" to writing, so I have a sharp out to the work, but these guys really put in a lot of hard work. It's looks great. Love this publisher. They said upfront the project will take only 6 months to get produced. What a coincidence! I deploy for 6 months. Going to be a happy sailor when I get home!

Original review: March 31, 2016

Tate Publishing the Christian company isn't any good. If I could put no star I would. I'm usually the last person to write reviews but I do not want anyone else to go through what I went through. I know what it's like to dream and hope... But about the company: I never received anything for tax purposes. You cannot personally track your sales. You have to trust them. Their editing services are minimal and want you to edit as well, which makes no sense. You can't catch everything in a manuscript if you're not an editor. They set your book price higher than it's worth making sure you will not get sales from the site which means they SUPPOSE to give your money back. It's a scam. If writing is your passion, an excellent literary agent with excellent credentials should be your goal. Or at least do not waste your time with that company.

Original review: March 11, 2016

My complaint is multi faceted covering a wide breadth of areas. Book Marketing "Publicist Fees" - Tate will not publish your book unless you have either a publicist on retainer that THEY APPROVE or you purchase a publicist one time retainer fee for your book for $3999.00. The company states that they have a special contract with a publicist company called Key Marketing. From day one from the publishing of the book I never had any contact with any representative from Key Marketing. Only Tate. Marketing of my book consisted only of cold calls to bookstores and coffee shops in my area. Since my payment for that publicist package the company came out with a special marketing offer for purchasing a special promotional special where they would contact venues for speaking to the tune of $399.00. I paid that and I got nothing in return. I sent emails after emails about that and received unsatisfying excuses.

Publicist fees: In the beginning I was told that this was the standard fee for an author to pay for using their contracted publicist. But as a published author I have since seen Tate offering cut rate prices for retaining an author for their next book as well as offering cut rate price to new Authors. For a period they have been announcing author for Life programs that two departments in the company seem to be competing each other. One department (marketing) ties the publisher for life contract to a certain amount of books to buy, while the other (acquisitions) continuously offers contracts in different forms as low as 700.00! All of this to gain more authors so they can purchase more books. I have save all emails that show this pattern of cut rate offers that they offer all of the time. Why doesn't the established contracted Author just receive an author for life contract for free and gain the loyalty and build relationships.

Dollar signs is all I feel I am to them. I am a father, husband and hard working individual and since my contract stated marketing my book would be an active process with Tate. I don't see that other than an email stating a list of the same coffee houses and same bookstores they call and get no answer and then tell me that I should follow up with them. Also offering from Tate is multiple book contracts for new books in a single year. Now for a company that touts they are very picky on who they publish it shows that their approach is now geared to volume. How can you sign a contract without a manuscript in hand?

Book Contract: My book contract stipulates explicitly that Tate would Market my book as well as educate me on how to sell my book. Nowhere in the contract it states that I would need to pay more fees to market my book. What they have taught me was how to buy my book to sell it on my own. As far as explicitly marketing my book, I have not received any fee back from Key Marketing who I thought was the publicist of my book. Instead I receive regular emails on special sales of books for me to buy for me to sell on my own.

Book pricing: my book is 344 page (100k words) with a marginally adequate book cover created using vectoring drawing software from a sketch I supplied! Tate says they have award winning covers. I can paint a better cover than the one I received! My book retails for 24.99. So which means I pay 60% discount or $10.00 per book. Ever try to sell a book cold at a bookstore that cost 25.00 with a children's book-like cover design? Since they set the cover price of the book that sets the price I pay for it to sell. In good conscience I cannot sell the book for 25 bucks because I do know I have a great book, but the book is deliberately overpriced to gain profits. I worked in the printing industry for years and I know that due to volume printing since they have so many authors ordering books that unit pricing of a book perfect bound would be at most $1-1.50 per copy.

Summary: The people at Tate are personable and nice on the phone. But every time I send emails with these types of questions I receive either no reply or replies that make me sound like I am at fault. No reputable publisher would do that. I am friends with the Executive Art Director at Scholastic Books and he warned me not to use Tate but it was too late since I already mailed the check. Since then all of his warnings have come true.

Original review: March 9, 2016

I've a good novel wrote for years that many publisher praised on saying the core is compelling. Then the marketing person of Tate told me they gave best pricing only need to pay marketing and printing, then the rest is on them. The book will be in circulation especially small book market in the central US. The book name is El Camino Real. I knew who read my book, but they said there's no sales for one year. I trusted them, but there's no marketing activity, no book put on bookstore, only one version of e-book put on amazon, the editing full of errors. It's worse than self-publishing. It's the worst thing that ever happened to us God soliciting writers.

Original review: March 1, 2016

I was an artist with Tate Music Group and they kept all of my royalties. Fans bought my album, but I never received a dime from Tate, not even a financial statement! They ignored my letters, emails and phone calls. They are the worst company to do business with.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

For months I tried to work with Tate. They decreased the amount of my payment to $2,000. I had two types of books and the process was so AWFUL I can't even begin to tell you. DO NOT, I BEG YOU, DO NOT use Tate Publishing. In regards to self-publishing however, there are also other models out there like Tate which aren't good. Basically all these places use the same print on demand model. The quality is poor. But the worst is the process you get put through. It sounds good at first. "You are about to enter the editing phase..." Oh god! They didn't edit one book at all outside of doing a grammar check and despite months of correspondence, the process never improved.

On my children's books, good lord - that process was 10x worse! They claim to have award winning illustrators? That is really quite funny! Nope, horrifying! After wasting six months, I finally decided to go another route. I haves many emails to and from Tate and proofs from them which demonstrate that they are not only deceitful but that the skill level of their people is awful! My book was a photographic children's book with wonderful kids' pictures. For months, they struggled with which pictures went where - so many clarification emails listing this information but when it came time to give me a cover - they gave me the wrong one - THREE times (they said that they wanted to provide alternatives). And then, I guess they gave up on the cover and went to a proof. It was cartoonish and riddled with errors.

I am now trying to get my money back and received an email from Stan that said "The contract that you signed and agreed to states there are no refunds except as allowed by Tate Publishing through 2,500 books sold through distribution." He further stated that they weren't in breach of contract because they were still willing to correct things? After six months of wrongs? After bypassing editing and going to production they now want to edit? After not even getting a correct cover for my children's books? After them chopping up my children's books because they didn't have the intellect to understand how the storyline went. Dear lord, this is truly the worst publishing company out there.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

Facts: Tate has not paid royalties on books sold over a year ago. Tate paid $12.25 total in royalties last year when hundreds of books were sold. They were paid by distributors. They lied and said they were not paid. They send 2+ emails per week harassing authors to purchase books from them. They will not market your book. Instead, they harass you to purchase and sell your own book. They do not send press releases. I asked for the contacts list for the media blasts and all of the contact information was incorrect. None of the television/radio stations were contacted. I verified. They promise Dish Network television publicity and do not deliver. Instead, they try to replace it with social media ads. I could post much more. Please do not use this publisher!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2016

I started writing a book 8 years ago. I spoke with Janie ** about it, sent her a portion of the new manuscript. She sent me a contract by courier the next day to my place of business. I had only started the book, was not ready to publish. Ever so often I would hear from someone at Tate about my book and learned that Janie had retired. In February 2015 I finished. Ironically the next day I received an email from Alexia ** in acquisitions. I made an appointment with her and my husband and I drove to Mustang, OK to meet with her. She was out ill that day and we met Dr. Richard Tate.

We were so impressed with Tate. I had read many complaints Tate Publishing and prayed. God spoke to me and told me to use Tate. I have and am using them. I don't know about all the other experiences but I do know my experience is exemplary. Timing for editing, corrections, proofing and printing have far exceeded my expectations. Since I did not write my book to make money but rather to help people and families going through the cancer situation in their families. I realized that in order to help as many as I could I would have to market my book and all the helps that Tate was doing were just that "Helps". Having been in sales all my life I realized that the work of getting the word out was my responsibility. I want to thank Tate for all they have done and are doing for me and my book.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2016

Tate Publishing is as phony as a $3 bill! I decided to have Tate Publish my 6th book because they portray themselves as religious and offered a full package of editing, marketing, etc. Paid big money for their publishing package and nightmare began. The Editor I was dealing with for unexplained reason was determined to eliminate 100 pages of manuscript. Battled six months with Editor and finally my book went into print. Marketing efforts consisted of appearances in small coffee shops and small book stores. My book was in print two years and had not received royalty check.

Contacted Tate by telephone and asked them to provide me with record of number of my books that were sold. They claimed they did not track sales and as far as they knew, no books had been sold. This is an outright lie because numerous people have purchased the book from various outlets and asked me to sign the book they purchased. Five years have now passed and I have not received any report from Tate as to number of books sold and have not received any royalty payment! I am convinced that Tate is a complete rip-off publishing company. Am interested in other authors experiences with Tate for consideration of class action lawsuit for breach of contract and theft!

Original review: Feb. 1, 2016

Do your homework before choosing Tate. My experience was similar to others. Poor communication, difficulty with editing, unfulfilled agreements, etc. Now that the book is published, it is no better – sales that are unaccounted for, and lack of communication, very frustrating and disappointing. A lot of time, money, energy, and heart went into the writing of my book. I am sorry to all those who have gone down this path and I am sorry that Tate does business with a Christian title and yet lacks integrity.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2015

Tate promised me "marketing support and promotional activities for the life of my book". What I received was a book signing in a tiny local coffee shop, another in a tiny coffee shop that was undergoing repairs, and had only 3 customers all day, and a third, in a second-hand bookstore. There was no marketing, no promotional activity, and no publicity, other than what I made myself. Instead I receive numerous promotions aimed at selling me 500 books at discounted prices. The website they offered me was pathetic and had little to no information. I set up my own separately and pay for it monthly. My book was published with no photographs at all. I had to purchase more "corrected" books and nothing was done about the incorrect books I paid for and received. I too received a call from a VP sales or marketing, promising me a more experienced marketing representative... no call was received.

I have read many comments on this and other sites, both good and bad reviews. The good ones related to Tate, lack detail and are to say the least, unbelievable compared to what I have experienced with Tate. The bad ones give specifics of the problems incurred. Tate have not met any of their promises, made to me in their contract. They lack author support and have been very far removed from the statements of beliefs, made and published about their core values. I would never ever recommend anyone to publish with Tate.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2015

Tate Publishing came very highly recommended so we gave them a try. We were to get all our money back when THEY sold 1000 books. This will probably happen, yet almost every week we get emails for sales promotions for US to buy more books. These do not count towards the 1000 books. We received a royalty check for $.93 for 2nd QTR 2015, which is an embarrassment to take to the bank. However, we still have not received all the huge royalty checks of $12.07 for 4th QTR 2014 which we have inquired about many times, all with promises but no checks. Now it is not about the amount of money, but the principal of the thing.

When my books (Tate put them in 3 volumes which makes it harder to sell) came for approval, there were so many errors, it took 3 redos, and we still are finding errors in supposedly the finished product.

Vol III had over 600 errors - quite an editing department, I'd say! We were not finished with our own editing, but were told that was Tate's job to send it right away!

They attempt to set up places to do book signings. They are usually in small out-of-the-way places, one was even set up for a Sat afternoon and the cafe is not even open on Sat!! Barnes & Noble have trouble getting books for their stock. Needless to say, we are not happy with our experience with Tate, and say they are leaving quite a testimony for the Lord as they try to do!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

I would recommend Tate Publishing to a friend. Why? Because of the fair and honest services I received. They go beyond the call of duty. Tate has published 7 books for my grandson and me and I'm in the process of having 3 more books published.

Resolution response: Nov. 5, 2015

I have since spoke with the President of Tate Publishing. My issue have been resolved. I was pleased that he handled my issues personally. I am very happy with my book, and the customer service that I received. I look forward to working with Tate Publishing on future projects. So excited that the company valued my work. And cared about my issue. I will and have recommended others. Thank you Tate Publishing!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

I have recently been scammed out of 2000. I was even contacted by the VP of Marketing after writing an email, about my unhappy experience. He assured me that he would fix the problem, and send me my books. I have not been able to contact him and no one will put me in touch with the President (Ryan Tate). I just want the products I was promised. I hope they do the right thing. But I am ready to contact the news in Oklahoma.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." I value this quote from Charles Swindoll and I am writing it to myself as much as to you. I am privileged to be newly published by Tate Publishing. The company does not owe me the time of day and I can only believe that they have graciously worked with me owing in part to a core company value of benevolence. I am unknown in the domain of written communication and do not deceive myself about this. They assume great risk coming alongside an unknown author. The quintessential patience extended to me by Tate in navigating a world so new to me has been unmerited and extraordinary.

I dream of reaching a large reading audience for Christ and as an apologist of the Christian faith, I am living in the center of God's will for me. If the Spirit desires that many should consider my written efforts, He has employed the energy of Tate Publishing to make that happen. Kind reader, if you will remember that you are not the most important person in a relationship, it will be pleasantly simple to appreciate your blessings as you work with this company. Thank you Tate Publishing for your skillful navigation through the nuts and bolts of getting the author and reader connected.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I was really let down by Tate and reading all the other comments my experience was exactly the same. I didn't listen to a single warning. I put out $4500 in the beginning thinking it was going to be all worth it. They gave me a huge pitch on how much they would help and guide me and all the marketing that will be done. Things all seemed to be going perfect at first. That is until people started vanishing and my whole entire project started changing and I had to fight and show proof to the new people of all the stuff we had went over. I had to contact Dr. Tate personally in order to get it resolved. To this day I have not spoke to one person over the phone, but Mr. Tate. Unless they want to sell me something...

When the book was Finally released it took off and word was spreading fast on my end. I was doing all the footwork, I got in the Paper and even landed many signings but when people went to order the book it wasn't in stock anywhere... I started getting complaints on orders that never came and when they did they were two months later. Still to this day and years later, new names, new faces, missing sales, and my book all over eBay with odd names selling it, and no answer from Tate on why. I will be moving on and I really hope that if you are looking for a Publisher do not fall for the Christian pitch. Huge Scam.

Tate Publishing Company Information