1.45/5

Mustang, OK

This company is out of businessFIND OTHER COMPANIES

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

253 Tate Publishing Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I published my book through Tate Publishing. They touted themselves as a Christian book publisher. I wanted to publish with a company that would publish my Christian themed children's book and signed on. Needless to say, my book is in limbo and I need the release letter so I can publish it somewhere else. I wrote a second book and published it with New Book Authors, whom I am very happy with because I keep all of the rights to my book and can see my sales in real time.

They told me that the Oklahoma AG received a letter from Tate Publishing releasing all of the authors from our contracts so we can move on and get published with another publisher. I just wanted to let everyone know you can contact the Oklahoma AG for this information if you want to be released from your contract. Some authors are rewriting their books under a new name and publishing it. It's a shame we had to resort to this. I almost went with another publisher I saw on a commercial. They asked to co-copyright my book so I declined their service. Beware of them too!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I published a children's book, 'A Christmas I Remember,' with Tate in December 2010. It cost me pennies under $4,000 to do so. I bought copies of my own book and drove to Oklahoma to record the story. This recording, eLIVE audio download allowed young children to 'read' the story by themselves. I said the words and Christmas bells chimed when it was time to turn the page. This wonderful addition to the book is noted on the front and back covers and on the last page (which is on the reverse of the last page of the story). The eLIVE is no longer available because Tate closed.

I spent a great deal of money to buy copies of my own book for readings and sales. I am able to sell them from my personal website and at book signings, but feel I must lower the price because the option of eLIVE is gone. I feel I will need to put a disclaimer on the book. When Tate went under I was quickly notified by several other publishers that they would love to republish my book. It would cost me several hundred to several thousand dollars depending on the publisher, and I felt like they were, for a lack of better term, publishing ambulance chasers. Plus, I honestly didn't have the funds to pay all over again.

I didn't receive royalties or callbacks when I tried to contact them. Then I learned of this mess from another author. Tate Publishing broke my heart and left me in a lurch. I have been donating my books to get rid of them because I am afraid someone may complain if they bought the book and can't listen to the recording. I still have over 450 books in my closet. The loss of income is devastating, and knowing I will never recoup is an awful feeling. Tate took my dream, and after I was seeing success, threw it to the wind for their own gain. I leave it up to God to judge them.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: April 7, 2018

I paid Tate Publishing in full and my book is available all over different online bookstores, however due to the criminal charges and embezzlement my book will no longer be able to be printed for purchase in the future once the bookstores sell the copies they have. As of now my book is being sold since publication in 2015 and I have not received any royalties from them. This is very frustrating because they received all of their money and I cannot receive future copies of my book and royalties from books being sold.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

I have been reading many of the reviews on this site concerning Tate Publishing and their irresponsibility as a publisher. I published "Fatal Choices" with Tate back in June of 2012. In 2017, I purchased a "Publisher for Life contract" with them. This meant that every book that I wrote from that point in time going forward would be published by Tate Publishing, during which time I signed three more contracts that were supposedly in the process of publication. They even sent me covers for the books.

I have been seriously writing for eight years now and have spent countless hours in front of my computer, creating worlds of fiction for my readers. With the exception of other authors, it's hard to understand the depth of betrayal and disappointment I am now experiencing as a result of this endeavor. And even more disheartening, is the cruel reality, that all of my time and efforts have gained me zero recognition. Like many of you here, I was promised the commercials, the extensive promotion, and marketing, and as I mentioned above, I was given the false sense that my publishing cost was paid in full, affording me a lifelong publishing contract with Tate. Not only did I have a publisher for life contract but because I made the investment, my work would always be a priority during the publishing process and it would shorten my timeline in availability for purchase.

It's hard for me to accept that years of hard work, sweat, and tears have vanished and there's nothing to be done about it. Tate bears no accountability in the distress it's caused many authors. How is that possible? What they did is unlawful. They should be held accountable. I waited years to pursue my writing career. I have many battle scars embedded in my pride and I don't think Tate should be allowed to upset so many lives without cost. They should at very least, be forced to face charges for the contracts that they've breached with their authors. Not only did they breach a contract, but they also withheld files that rightfully doesn't belong to them.

I signed contracts with Tate but I retain all rights to my material. How can they expect me to give them more money for something that already belongs to me? They also promised in an email that they personally would assist each of their authors in finding a new publishing home to pick up where they left off. Not only am I left holding an empty bag with Tate, but my book is still listed for sale on Amazon. I've contacted them and asked them to remove my book from their site but was informed that I can't do that. "What do you mean I can't do that? It's my book!" It seems to me that they would have no choice but to remove my title from their site. Isn't there a law against gaining revenue for something that doesn't belong to you?

I'm extremely frustrated with this situation. Just as I was stress-free of future publishing cost and happy to focus solely on writing, Tate reneged on their contract without warning and rained on my parade. I can't wrap my mind around a fraudulent crime of this magnitude being allowed to go unnoticed. I thought this was America. I would be in prison if I was standing in Tate's shoes. What makes them any better than the average citizen? Are they immune to consequence? They shouldn't be. And the worst part is the fact that they committed this injustice in the name of Christianity. Shame on you Tate!!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I published a book under the name Reginald ** called the "Malcontents". Copies were sold on Amazon and Tate direct. Amazon list on their website: One copy left. Received one check for $5.80 years ago. Any way of knowing how many books were sold either through Amazon or Tate? I used to get offers to buy quantities of the book to sell myself but did not purchase.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tate Publishing?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I am recently finding out that Tate Music Group has gone out of business. I was an Artist/Songwriter/producer for a CD that Tate assisted in producing and distributing through all of the usual digital music sites like Amazon, Spotify, Pandora, etc... At one time my album appeared in these locations and on the Tate website, but it was when I sent someone there to check out my CD and listen to it that they told me they couldn't find anything. I checked those places on the web and couldn't find anything either. I tried all the numbers I have for Tate, including my Project Manager's and office associates' numbers, here and overseas and none of them were operable. I had not received any correspondence concerning this shutdown. Also Tate didn't deliver all of the marketing and promotional services they contracted to perform.

So in lieu of these developments they are in breach of my contract with them and I void this contract entered into with them in Feb. 2012. This releases all of my songs back to me for "Full CONTROL" of that product and they no longer have any rights to recoup any monetary value from the sale of these songs/compositions. The Album is titled "THE ANSWER" and all rights return back to me (the "Artist & Songwriter") Byron **. As of this day they went out of business and dissolved any ability to contact them. I'm doing this here because there is no way I can reach any of the staff or officers of that business. I can only give this honest review as someone who knows how they've practiced doing business with the prospective consumers of services and the public.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

In fall of 1993 I began writing my manuscript for "I Won't Let Go" a non-fiction true crime story about my family. This was a big news story front page in Dallas Fort Worth. I finished it in Madison, Wisconsin and Madison Magazine did a 5 page feature article on the story in their August issue 1995 called "To Hell and Back". I attempted to offer the manuscript to several New York Literary agent and got turned down 3 times. Not because the story wasn't killer, but because the possible liability issues were a huge concern at the time. So against the odds I got discouraged and set the manuscript down. I moved to Missouri in 1999 and became best friends with fiction writer Eileen Halpin of book "Red Sky Over Liberty".

She read my script and told me I needed to try one more time with her publisher, TATE PUBLISHING, in Mustang, Oklahoma. I was very hesitant because I was tired of getting shot down and I knew of the issues that needed to be resolved. She bugged me so much I gave in to get her to shut up and leave me alone. So I sent it, just to satisfy her, closing my eyes and bracing myself for the next rejection. I got the usual auto responder letter that said we have received your manuscript and it will be 6 to 8 months we will get back to you if we are interest then. Here we go again. I went about my business not expecting anything. Ten days later I get an email from Tate's acquisition editor that says "We love it! It is the most amazing story we have ever read, where can we send you a publishing contract immediately"?

I was blown away, overwhelmed, sat and cried! I had been through so much already being in the story going through all of that and then the writing of it reliving it over and over with every word, now finally someone is on board with it. Awesome! They sent the contract. I signed it in March 2012 and sent in a $2000.00 publicity set up fee they called it and along with that contract included the shooting and broadcasting of 10 television commercials for my book that I never got. By March of 2013 we published my first book "I Won't Let Go" and it was out on the shelves.

The story had made national attention from the newspapers, so I wanted to be able to continue that with the promotion and publicity. I knew I had to get into the brick and mortar stores in the United States. Barnes and Noble was the largest target and Hastings. My goal was every bookstore on the planet, but I knew in order to do that I had to gain awareness to capture the masses and the fastest way to do that was a live national book tour and radio guest spots and anything else I could get. I worked hard to set that up a section at a time starting near my home in Missouri. I began in Springfield. The all stores and their staff were great! I was having so much fun, my book was selling.

I have saved all of my email correspondence with Tate staff. I received the first royalty check months later. It was $10.00. Not much but my first check! I was in awe. Still never cashed it as a souvenir! I did not receive any more but kept on working hard moving forward because my book has also motion picture options and I had written the soundtrack title song for what would be the CD to the book and for runner for the movie deal which was in an earlier contract with Wagner-Ball Productions in Los Angeles, California. That had expired and I had moved on to gaining Spielberg’s attention as I had connections for that. I also signed a deal with TATE MUSIC GROUP (TMG) LABEL and made a payment against that contract for set up of $250.00 with a balance of $250.00 to do the first CD with "I Won't Let Go" as the title track, we were in business.

I am the composer, vocalist on that recording. I then re-recorded and re-arranged the title track at The Mansion Studio in Branson, Missouri, with the help of (50) Grammy award winning producer Brandon Mashburn and Tony Orlando's brother and musical arranger, David Cassevitis. After the final take on the playback I went to get a glass of water and fell down some stairs and fractured my left instep and ankle. That took me off the book tour I was on and I had to cancel the next nine dates from Missouri into Arkansas. For almost a year it incapacitated me. But I worked from the house and did some radio shows and all the publicity I could from there and I was still selling books but still healing.

I was on Amazon online and all the online outlets as well. No royalty checks though, my husband asked me one day, "Why aren’t you seeing any checks from this?" I said, "Well it takes time. They pay on the quarter 2 quarters after the sales come in." I assured him not to worry we would be seeing profits eventually from all my hard work and efforts. I received $80,00 more and that is all I have received in the 5 years we have been published. Now I am no math wizard but if my book is selling for $21.00 a book which is what it was priced at and I sell 10 that's $210.00, my contract states that I get 60% per book and I own the copyright and have artistic control. It also states that I am to be notified and must approve of any other publishing moves with this project.

I never have been notified of anything. I didn’t even know they went under for 6 months after it happened. I know for a fact I sold books in the stores I was on tour in because I was autographing them as they were buying them live in the stores, but I never saw any accounting of any sales from Tate at all. There are no records from them. But the book stores and the online outlets like Amazon must have something on it. I never received anything. But I know books sold and I know the money went somewhere just not to me.

It gets worse and many of the Authors don’t know this so here goes. I am talking to a client who wants to buy it on Amazon in front of me and she goes to the site and she looks at me and says, "Your book must be really good"! I said, "It is, but why are you asking me like that?" She said, "It's $177.00". I said "What? No it's not"! She said, "Yes it is. Look"! I gasped and told her that had to be a typo and I would call Amazon and get it corrected right away. In the meantime I had access to the free eBook version I have been using for review publicity. I offered that to her in apology and told her I would take care of it asap, she wanted an autographed copy.

I later that night called Amazon (and here is why I think they are partly liable). They are the ones who told me that Tate's were arrested for like 17 counts of embezzlement and racketeering. I was floored! I said, "Why is my book price $177.00? It is supposed to be $21.00!" Amazon said the third party publisher(s) are in control of my book and Amazon can't fix it and I can’t fix it either. I said what? I asked who the third party publishers were and they said, "We cannot tell you" I said, "Why not? It’s my book and you are paying them royalties on sales!" Amazon again said, "We still can’t tell you"!

I said, "Well you will tell a judge"! I own the copyright and the intellectual property rights to that book! So TATE PUBLISHING, LLC also sold our publishing rights to third parties and never told us or got our permission and they stole that money also and now the third party publishers are keeping and stealing royalties too! It is also obstructing me from future sales and promotion of my book, so I am losing tons of money right now because of that also and worse it knocked me out of the brick and mortar stores tour!

So now not only do I have to re-publish (more money) but I have to hope and pray I can get another major publisher to pick me up or I can't get back on a tour because you cannot get into the brick and mortars if you self-publish or are not with a major publisher who has those contracts in place. Really hard! So this goes way beyond just the initial 5 years of royalties, this is now damages they have cause to future business of this book! I think Amazon should also be liable for not investigating when they knew Tate went down and they still had authors from Tate on their site active and got third party publishing agreements and prices got out of control, they are in the book business. They knew books don’t sell for $177.00? It should have been someone’s duty to reach out to the authors and make them aware of this odd activity, it’s their site. I do believe Amazon does have some responsibility in this deal.

I was starting the sequel to another big news story and almost gave them the contract on that book. I am glad I didn't now. I believe they owe me for damages, emotional stress and future business and costs to fix this mess and republish and for the 10 television commercials I never got. I think the lawyers out there need to reconsider all the facts of a class action lawsuit with Amazon as well and any other sellers like them that had our books on the market and knew this and kept selling our books and told us nothing.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2018

I signed with Tate Music Group in July 2014, and I recorded my debut album "Like I Love You" with Tate Music Group in January 2016. The album was released twice due to TMG getting my release dates messed up. The album did well, it released at #1 on iTunes Top 100 Albums and iTunes Top 100 Pop charts. The album sold both digitally and in CD, and did awesomely. However, I never got my royalties. They sent me a check for $5.34, which I never got. I would call and email to no reply. It was not until January 2017 when I found out that Tate Publishing was being sued.

I had fans writing me saying they had not gotten their CDs, and I knew something was up due to not getting anyone when I called. I am glad they found the ** and I hope they lock them up and throw away the key. You can't sit up and say you're a God fearing, Christian based organization and you're stealing from people who put their faith in God to make their dream a reality. You are going to reap what you sow and I hope to get everything you took from me and then some.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My husband and I published a book through Tate Publishing back in 2004 called **. My husband and I did not have much money and had to scrape together the $5,000 it cost just to get the publishing done. We were determined to get this book published because it was my husband's dream to help others going through such a destructive and life altering disease. After 13 years we have received VERY LITTLE from Tate. Calling the publishing house was ridiculous, we were never able to get them on the phone.

We have sold this book on Amazon and eBay along with other sites with little problem. We have also seen many others doing the same. We know they have sold our book many times over by what we have seen, but we have had little profit from Tate for the project. It cost my husband several thousands of dollars to publish this book and we have seen less than that in royalties. Shame on the Tate and those involved in stealing from those that trusted in their "Christian" based company. As Christians ourselves this symbol was what drew us to Tate in the first place. We are going to sue the publishing company for royalties never received. They will never get the trust of others again. May God forgive them.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2017

I published with Tate in 2009, and received several checks for $ .33 cents over the years but the book did sell on Amazon. I wrote a letter and was rebuffed by the CEO - telling me I should have known what I was getting into. My question: why is my book still selling on Amazon.com if Tate is out of business? I think we need a class action suit against Tate.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I have been a Tate author since 2011. I visited their Mustang, OK company before I agreed to publish "Why Snails Are Slow" with them. Dr. Richard Tate took me on a tour of his company. I could tell he was extremely proud of his company. I met many people at Tate who would be working on my first children's book. I took my illustrator, who had only been with Tate a few months, and my book editor out to lunch at a local establishment. Once my book was ready for distribution, I flew the illustrator to my home town (Lafayette, LA) and she signed 300 pre-sold books "For His Glory" across the inside cover artwork. She was (and still is) an amazing young Christian woman whose artwork shows her God given talents.

I rarely received royalty checks and none amounted to much money. By the time I published my next two books in 2015 in The Ark Series, I could tell things were different. I did buy their "Author For Life" contact but never used it. My experience was not what it was originally. Books arrived later than expected. Books arrived damaged. Pages had flaws in the artwork in the interior... and the list goes on and on. Trying to speak to my author rep was next to impossible. Trying to speak to a person at Tate was impossible unless I was ordering books from Jim **. I never purchased those extra things that they offered to ALL their authors.

I started to realize that if I wanted my books to be sold, I would have to do all of the work. I worked hard selling my 3 children's books. I have sold over 2000 total copies myself. I worked hard at getting "Why Snails Are Slow", "Cabot the Rabbit", and "The Perfect Monkey" to be part of the Accelerated Reader (AR) program. I have both hard and soft copies still on hand.

My problem is I want my 3 print ready files but I am not willing nor should I have to pay $50 to a company I no longer trust. Sending $50 and trusting I will get my files "ready to print" after signing Tate's contract release form is not something I care to do. I have written Tate and mailed my request to the address at the bottom of their form. I am in LIMBO! I have filed papers with the OK AG's office. If Richard and Ryan Tate are Christians, then I pray they do the right thing by all their authors who trusted them. For now I will pray to God and remember Romans 12:19 "I will take care of this".

Original review: July 5, 2017

I never received any royalties for my book "Following The Mist." The book sold better than they reported to me giving me just.40 cents for selling two books. Noticed that many book were used almost 200 sold in England, Germany and the US. Where is the money? For those used books that were sold. I don't know. I wrote the book to make some money not just 40 cents. Somehow Tate shortchanged me.

Original review: June 15, 2017

I was contacted to purchase my books. I noticed they had not submitted it to one of the markets I was told. The other market had no artwork of the book. When I called in January to get clarity phones were not working and then I found a page online saying they had closed. They never contacted me.

Original review: June 11, 2017

I published my booked called Shattered almost 10 years ago. Tate Publishing was great at first in some ways. They answered any questions I had, they were willing to give me a personal tour of the office if I wanted one, and they were pretty quick and efficient with getting my book edited. But then came the marketing, I never felt like they never did enough. Of course, they say it is all supposed to be up to us. But I was a new author who had no idea what she was doing. When I asked for tips they would suggest me taking seminars or buying a book. In other words spend more money that would go in their pocket. I refused to do so, and just kept doing small book signings and told people by word of mouth about my book.

The first couple of years I would receive money off of my books. Then my royalties would slowly get less and less to where they would be no more. I think the last royalty check I received was for $0.99. I know people who ordered off the website because I either did not have books on hand at the time or they simply live in a different state and it was easier for them to order that way. If you google my name and book, you will find that it still up on Amazon and other places being sold. So my question is - where is the money going?

Original review: June 8, 2017

I spent time writing about my life story so I could be a blessing to others maybe make difference in someone's life. So after writing few months later decided to have it published. So in August 2008 I submitted my manuscript to Tate Publishing Company. Manuscript was accepted. They sent my approval letter the Golden stamped they would publish. I submitted a Cashier's check for $3999.00. All the money I had. The company promised a lot for that low cost... Book was published in 2009 along with a YouTube commercial & book was sold on Amazon & Barnes & Noble websites. I was told after 5000 copies were sold I would receive my money back. That of course never happened... Quarterly royalties which I only received 1 check over a period of 8 yrs for $4.10. Although books costed me $4.00 per books whenever I purchased myself to sell on my own.

This has been a nightmare... Big disappointment. I never received anything. Tate promised to send me on book signings and get me set up really help to get my book out which never occurred. Any signings I did do I set up or found on my own. I had been calling Tate for quite sometime never to receive a call back. The turnaround on new people working for them was often. I would get emails stating if I wanted my book to possibly have a movie made out of it send more money. Or if I wanted to travel to do signings pay more money. I could never afford more so I didn't invest in those things, however I'd pay for shipments of books, posters, push cards, etc... Well completely out of books materials never being able to reach anyone.

I reside in Indianapolis. Recently I was watching the news to find out the owners of Tate embezzled Millions and are now closed. I have lost my rights to my books. Don't have a clue what has happened money lost. I along with many others have been taken advantage of. Will I ever see my book again? My Book is an inspirational bio "Healing Is In You" Don't let Let Your Past Dictate Your Future. ISBN 13... 9781617772139 ISBN 10... 1617772135 on Amazon or Barnes & Noble has it... Where do a person go to find information or is it just gone.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I was published with Tate for over 2 years and never received a penny. I know there were sales because I know people who purchased the book through their website, MYSELF INCLUDED, just to see if I'd see anything. Every time I contacted them, they either said they were going to send me something like $0.39 (literally), or they'd say there's nothing I could legally do because Tate was in so close with Attorney General. We need a class action lawsuit because this is absolutely disgusting. Cool, Xerox got their stuff back, and their money, but what about us?

Original review: May 26, 2017

I had one book published with Tate Publishing and one book of a 3 book series in production stages when they closed. I did not received payment for royalties for Dec 2015 or 2016 due me. Several people told me they ordered copies of the book and they didn't arrive in the mail. Before the company closed, I received an email that was from an employee warning everybody that Tate was not paying its editors and employees. I emailed back and also called the marketing director at Tate, reaching voicemail, left a message about the email I had received and within minutes a new email came stating the company had been hacked and a fake email had been sent out that we should not believe or worry about. I have those emails.

When they closed I was sent to the transition websites (that are no longer working now) to register as a web user in their new portal where authors would be communicating with the editors and know what's happening. That never happened either, the website changed to say closed then is gone. I didn't pay as much as others did for services from Tate Pub. I only paid $700 for marketing and they did ask $3500. at first but after I told them a few times in several phone calls I could not afford the whole amount and would have to pass they made me a deal to get my money and books apparently. They also told me they were moving parts of production back to the USA from the Philippines where I did not know my files or books were being made and now I wonder what happened to my files sent overseas? Are my books selling there without me being paid too?

I wasn't very happy with the book size or how they placed pictures, otherwise, production went smooth and they did do some local marketing of the book for a couple of months. They sent me more offers to buy my own books then I think they sent to other markets. I did buy a book deal and never received the extra promotional items that was included. It took months to get the books in the mail. I still was hopeful when the second book was in production then they left me with nothing other than an offer to buy my own files which I did not. As far as I am concerned I own my books, and my files and they owe me a lifetime of sales of these very important books that were meant to save people's lives not be lost to thieves.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I was published by TATE in 2012. Hindsight being twenty twenty I would never signed with them. Period. I paid almost 4000.00 plus 10.00 per book only to try and sell them at 25.00! What business model is this? So I did sell some books at a few establishments. But did I get the service I contracted for? No. I got smiles as they sent me email after email trying to get money out of me for marketing service that should have been what I paid for. I heard that Key Marketing Group has business ties with TATE. So collusion or rather acting like they are a separate company is rather shady.

Last year I cut ties with them after never getting answers, launched a complaint with the Attorney General in OK and just left with a bad taste in my mouth. I am at square one having spent so much more money than I should under the circumstances. I am looking to re-release my book as well as publish the sequel but I don't have the money. I have a lot of other irons in the fire and so I rest with being cheated and swindled by half truths, broken promises and overall bad all in the guise of so called Christian Values!

Original review: May 17, 2017

I am a published, children's author of two books. Both published by Tate Publishing. I was required with my first book to pay almost $4000 because I had never been published before. With my second book they required four hundred dollars. I was told that this was for the ISBN Number. Getting someone to talk to me about my second book after I signed my contract was like pulling teeth. My calls were sent out of the country to a man that had such a strong accent, I could barely understand him. And then I talk to Stacy who was supposed to be my representative in the United States and she apologized for the lack of communication and taking almost a year to publish my second book. My first book took less than six months from drawing board to Barnes & Noble. I have not received a royalty check on my first book in seven years and I've not received a royalty check except for one for $.39 on my second book.

I know of many people and organizations that have ordered my books on Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, and from Tate Publishing itself. If there is a class action lawsuit, I would like the money I invested in my books and any royalties owed to me. Please let me know if there's going to be a class action lawsuit. I want to participate in that. I have tried getting hold of Stacy at Tate Publishing, the number is disconnected. Their website is down and all I can find are disappointed wonderful authors who put their trust in a Christian publishing company called Tate Publishing. God bless the authors and let us all stand together to make sure those that have wronged us pay for their errors.

Original review: May 4, 2017

I am a past "author for life" of Tate Publishing. While they did follow through with publishing my first children's book, I can now never print more copies; never receive the hard copies that were promised to me from the special that they supposedly had; and I have never received my royalty checks from them. It hurts to know that a Christian-based company has done this not only to me but many, many more! I paid to be an "author life." My life is not over, so I feel like I have been taken advantage of as I have more than 1 book in me! I received an invoice for the books that I ordered. I received my soft copies, but not my hard copies. I never paid them any additional money to receive the electronic copy of my book and I didn't sign anything releasing them from being held responsible for anything they have done.

Original review: May 2, 2017

I am a published author of Tate Publishing and found out that they are out of business. I have been selling my books (which I have a supply of) at charitable events and have some pending. All proceeds go to the event itself for which it represents. (Orphanages, Mission Groups, church fund raising campaign, etc.) I have also had 6 book signing events with more pending but when the supply is gone then my efforts are no longer viable. I can no longer get supplies or additional books for that matter. I know for a fact that several of my books have been ordered directly from Tate Publishing and the only check I received is for just a few dollars. A red flag arose at that time and I have not received anything except silence since.

Original review: April 5, 2017

When Tate first called me, it was like I had won the lottery! I felt so proud of becoming one of the 4%. My children’s book was special, as it was written after my daughter had her 2nd heart surgery. I was filling a niche. I knew it would be hard to publish a children’s book about Down Syndrome, but I had tried and succeeded.

After trying to figure out how I was going to come up with the money, it finally happened. I was in the start of the process. It took a year... a long year. I wasn't happy with the illustrations, but what could I do. I had already told them No on 2 other "sketches". I felt like maybe I was being too needy. So, I let it slide. Then came the Kindle version and the read-along in the back of the book. I took my oldest daughter who was 9 at the time (she's now 19) to Mustang so that she could be the voice on the audio book. I was able to meet everyone, and things seemed like they were going well. My book came out in March of 2008. I was beside myself with joy. It was smaller than I had imagined and at a price of $8.99 and a soft cover, I was hoping people would buy it.

Then the "marketing" started. Well, a press release anyway. I did get a couple radio spots and some events at bookstores. The articles in the paper were pretty cool too. Then... it stopped. It was a good couple months, but then my rep did nothing. So, I took it upon myself to do my own marketing. I spoke at Down Syndrome Walks (also known as Buddy Walks) and got my name out there. Then I was invited to speak at some of the Walks. Each Walk I went to (Oregon, California, New York, Arizona and Canada) brought me out and paid my expenses. I was able to reach thousands of people with my message. I also had a couple TV news spots and spoke at several different schools. But, let me make this clear... if I wouldn't have reached out to these people and marketed myself, none of this would have happened.

The only thing I ever got from them were constant emails about buying new books, or buy this bundle and get a webpage or a commercial spot. I had already forked out enough money, I wasn't going to fork out anymore. My royalty checks? Ha! Every time I got one I would take a picture of it and say "book the cruise!" My largest was $60.00 and then they became less and less. They started coming in at $.42. Wow. And with all the marketing I did for myself? I have no idea how many I actually sold. I went on the website a couple months ago and to my surprise, they went belly up. Now what the hell do I do? Is it in limbo? Why are they charging $50 to get the PDF file to our book? It's our damn book! This is complete BS. How Christian they are. If there's a lawsuit, I'll sign on.

Original review: April 4, 2017

Tate Publishing didn't just close the door on their businesses - they also closed the door on their authors who had a contractual agreement with them and I am one of those authors. I received an e-mail in January stating that Tate will no longer be accepting any new authors or artists, but it said nothing about their agreement with their existing contractual authors. I became a Tate Author in 2009. As a new author, I was required to pay $3,985.50 if I elected Tate as my Publisher.

My contract included a Website to be designed and hosted by Tate for the life of the book, required to submit second work or book to Tate before submitting to another publisher. If accepted by Tate there would be no upfront cost to me as before. Marketing was to continue for the life of the book. But, I found their marketing efforts to be limited other than book signing events. Anything past that had a price tag. It wasn't about promoting authors and their book but about selling authors marketing tools or promotional offers. I was misled. Marketing was really left to the author unless we wanted to invest more money.

I always questioned the accuracy and/or truthfulness of the royalty calculations. My royalty checks were few and far between and amounted to very little or just pennies. I did not hear from them quarterly except on occasions. I really never knew over the years the actual number of book sold. Without question, I feel defrauded by this company. Without notification my Website had been removed, books removed and/or cancelled from some sites. The author information under my name was gone. All of this with no notice from Tate. The loss was great!

I want to be reimbursed for my losses including the nearly $4,000 I paid to Tate in good faith. I will not agree to let them out of this contract and walk away with the thousands paid to them and leave me with no publisher and no access to book production. When Tate closed its door they defaulted in the contractual agreements they had with me. I have contacted the Oklahoma City Attorney General and filed a complaint. And, if a lawsuit ensues, I requested to be one of the complainants.

Original review: April 2, 2017

I published through Tate Publishing a couple of years ago after giving them thousands of dollars to do so. I ordered, paid even more money to them and received a stock of books which I sold. In January 2016 (more than a year ago) I reordered and paid $840 for more books and for the cost of delivering them to me (for which they charged $440). They were never delivered. Each time I sent emails asking when they would be sent I got no replies. When I tried to phone I got no reply and no one called back. Yet at least 2-3 times each month for the last year or more I received from the marketing team at Tate special offers 2 for price of one, three for price of one, and all sorts of enticing offers to purchase more books.

Then we receive an email saying "sign this form releasing us from all our responsibilities and the right to make no refunds, and send $50 with it and we'll send you your print ready files." I already have the print ready files so why would I pay for more copies!!! Also the so called royalty checks - well what a joke. No transparency and just a load of nonsense. Another thing, Tate Publishing never once provided a receipt for the payments made. They just take your money over the phone using your credit card details.

The long and short of it all is what they were doing is just ripping off money from authors and piling up the cash knowing they would bail out and run away. Shame on the Tate family! Shame on the CEO Ryan Tate and shame on Trinity Trinity Tate-Edgerton because I wrote to both of you (numerous times to Trinity) and yet you cheated me. And by the way, I am still waiting for replies! Shame, shame, shame. If there is ever a class action mounted I will certainly be after you! But know this, God above has been watching and you will have to answer to Him one day! Woe to you. What you sow is what you'll reap.

Original review: March 21, 2017

This was supposed to be a Christian company so I trusted them to deliver the product they promised. From the very beginning they seemed more interested in making money off of me than in selling my books. I paid thousands of dollars to publish my book and it is no longer available. It was on sale for two weeks then became unavailable. They did not live up to a single promise. So if there is a class action suit I will gladly sign on.

I've been trying to find out what is going to happen next but the website says we have to wait for them to find a new publisher for our books--which they can't or won't do, or we have to sign an agreement releasing us from their contract and from any liability. In other words, they don't have to give us our money back or hold up their end of the agreement.

Am I supposed to walk away from all the money I spent? Even though I did not sign the agreement releasing Tate from liability, I went ahead and published my book with someone else. I went to AuthorHouse and Page Publishing and all they wanted was my money. One company even tried to sell me a publishing plan that was over $11,000 even after I told them about Tate Publishing. These people are 100% heartless, I swear. I eventually found NewBookAuthors.com and was able to publish my book. It is now on Amazon Kindle and CreateSpace. It took them less than a month, after almost six months of trying to get Tate to follow through after taking my money. If Tate Publishing wants to sue me for their breached contract and the money they stole, tell them to bring it on. No judge in his right mind would side with those thieves.

Original review: March 16, 2017

I signed a contract with Tate Publishing in August 2014, however, after my book was 'printed' Tate sent me their 'Guide to Marketing' which sent up a slew of red flags and resulted in my decision to Terminate my contract with them on June 16th, 2015, 3 weeks prior to the release of my book. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that Tate Publishing, LLC submitted my book to Amazon. com, Amazon.com.uk, Amazon.com.fr, Abebooks, and Deeperselling, as well as to a company in Berlin who was giving away free PDF's of my book... after I terminated my contract. It's taken me nearly 2 years to get my book removed from Amazon.com and Deeperselling.com, still working on the rest.

Yes, Tate closed their doors in January 2017, but for those who have published with Tate, google your book to see where Tate submitted it, you probably had sales that Tate never paid you a royalty for. I terminated my contract with them and they still submitted my work to online markets. I'm glad I terminated when I did. I would hate to think that I paid for books that I would never receive since Tate closed their doors this year.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I am a client of Tate Publishing. Or rather, I WAS a client before they went belly up. If it would have been up to me, they would have been belly up a long time ago. They call themselves a Christian organization but they sure didn't treat their customers very Christian like. At least they didn't treat me very well and as far as I am able to notice, I am far from alone.

In 2014 I published my first book with them and I even signed a contract that stipulated they were going to do all sort of things to help promote my book. They did nothing. The only they did as far as promotion goes was to send out a press release. Now they did promote their services a lot. I was constantly receiving emails from the person who was assigned to be my liaison with the company and this person was trying to sell ME books. I was under the impression that publishers are supposed to sell books to people other than the person who wrote them.

Then there are the royalties. Like I said, this was my first book. Nobody knows who I am, still Tate priced it at $21.99. How is an unknown author going to sell a $21.99 book when the people buying it, has no idea who I am? I received a grand total of 4 royalty checks. None higher than 80 cents. How can a book selling for $21.99 net me a royalty of 80 cents? Even the eBooks would have netted me more than that. I purchased an eBook for somebody who was going to review my book for me. I know what I paid for it and I didn't receive a nickel for it. That leads me to believe that they were keeping royalties not only my royalties but from all of their clients. That wouldn't surprise me because of the circumstances behind their closing. From what I read, they owe two million dollars to someone.

I had already made the decision to not do business with them anymore before I began work on my second book but that was before I found out that they were having troubles. I was talking to another publisher's representative when I found out that Tate had closed. They didn't even bother to contact me. When I emailed them, they told me that they are going out of business and they want ME to pony up $50.00 for my files. WHAT? Talk about your nerve. I wish the Oklahoma Attorney General would do an audit of this company. The bankruptcy laws might protect them from any financial responsibility but not criminal.

Original review: March 13, 2017

I gave Tate Publishing $998.00 to publish my book and now their doors are closed and I have no book published. So, totally not fair. Now maybe if they had returned the money that I can now say they have stolen then maybe it wouldn't be so awful, but no, there is no money and no book. I am so upset because more than likely I will never see that money again. This company never should have taken money from anyone, knowing that the company was in trouble. This is why the world is such a mess, because even with a signed agreement people still get screwed over.

Original review: March 12, 2017

I am disabled with many medical conditions. Tate published my children's book. My final proof to them is not what they printed or what I signed off on. I sold many copies to this day. I will never know how many exactly. They never paid me a dime in royalties. It breaks my heart. I really could have used that money to help pay for my medical expenses.

Original review: March 5, 2017

I am a first time publisher with Tate Publishing and have published one book through them which was an autobiographical account of a near death experience that I had when I was fatally injured in an automobile accident. I was quickly accepted by Tate who found that the extent to which I had prepared my manuscript required nearly no editing on their part. The cover design was done by their artist and the book was quickly put into print. I was given very little assistance in terms of publicity and marketing, which was not what my contract stipulated.

There were numerous delays and other issues with regard to receiving royalties: numerous times I would receive email from Tate reporting that I had earned a specific royalty which was then either sent to a wrong address or was so delayed that another check had to be issued and resent. I have still not received the last check that I was emailed about, nor have I received the related tax documents that I needed for filing 2016 income taxes.

The statement(s) made by Tate Publishing in which they stated that they were NOT going to abandon their authors is, in my opinion, untrue... In my case. At no time did they offer to help me acquaint with another publisher. Now I am left to my own devices in the search for another publisher. Additionally, Tate actually has the nerve to request $50.00 in order to search out, locate and send my file to me. As far as I am concerned, I have already lost enough money to them and I do not believe that they should be allowed to extort monies from customers that they already owe money/goods and/or services to.

I have no way of calculating just how much of a financial loss I have experienced due to the manner in which Tate has mishandled their business affairs but two friends of mine work in a nearby Amazon Distribution center and came home a few months after my book first went public and excitedly told me that they had seen at least 2,000 copies of my book at their warehouse. At first I was excited by this but now I find myself wondering if Tate kept monies that they received from Amazon or other bulk dealers... Because I sure haven't received any more than $85 dollars in royalties since first signing with Tate. I can certainly understand why a class action lawsuit is being filed against Tate Publishing.

Tate Publishing Company Information