Surf Laundry Detergent

Surf Laundry Detergent
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.66/5

Looking for cleaning services?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Looking for cleaning services?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Surf Laundry Detergent Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Surf Laundry Detergent?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Surf?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

After experiencing a sore rash in the groin for over a month and spending much time going to doctors and applying copious creams, etc...I found my wife had switched to Surf washing powder, the pain and distress this product has caused me I cannot put into words.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I bought this product last month because it was on sale. After use, I noticed some really terrible rashes on my left arm so I bought creams and stuff to try and treat it, not thinking I might have been allergic to the detergent. After a few days, itchy rashes also started on my neck, which I also tried to treat with creams to no avail. The itchy rash woke me up at night. It was very very annoying. Until one day, I noticed the warning on the sticker of the product that says it contains some ingredients that can cause allergies so I read some reviews about this that confirms, I too am allergic to this detergent. I will never ever recommend this to anyone. Not even to people who don't have sensitive skin.

Get buying tips about Household Cleaning Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2019

I like Surf liquid laundry detergent because it has a good range of some very pleasantly scented products. However, it is very hard to obtain my favourite scents as those supermarkets that sell it at a reasonable price seem to have a very limited range of only about 3 which are my least favourite scent. My favourite is the "wildflower and morning dew" and it is becoming difficult to find. On the other hand one that I can't stand seems to be overly promoted the "perfect blacks". My criticism of the "perfect blacks" is that it is strongly acidic and bitter-smelling, and acidity and bitterness don't mix well. It reminds me of toxic chemicals like some toilet bleach I've used which also smelled toxic to me. Acidity in a smell is acceptable if it is combined with intense sweetness as in citrus fruits and even the citrus one is a little acidic for my liking.

The "wildflowers and morning dew" on the other hand has a very pleasant sweetness which is neither bland nor overpowering and has a nice sharpish fresh top-note to bring out the sweetness without being too acidic. For me it is aromatherapeutic whereas the "perfect blacks" makes me feel slightly unwell. I don't mind some acidity mixed with a lot of sweetness and as for bitterness, slight bitterness as in herbal scents such as pine is ok too but not mixed with very acidic smells. The bitter-acidic scent of perfect blacks also has a sickly heaviness about it, perhaps meant to resemble the bitter undertones of some flowers, but those are not pleasant ingredients in flower scents.

Give me citrus or berry fruit scents above floral scents any day: one is invigorating while the other is nauseating. The exception is orange blossom and a few other flowers which have intense sweetness and strong nectar scents without any of the bitterness or heaviness you often find in other flowers. I like resinous smells as well if they are combined with sweetish notes.

The men's scent Vetiver by Guerlain is an example of a resinous fresh uplifting smell like conifers and citrus and not too bitter while sweet fruity smells always please as long as there is not too much tropical fruit as it can have sulphur undertones. I've tried the one that is supposed to remove odours and it is quite pleasant but the wildflowers one is that bit fresher and sweeter. Whilst I don't expect a laundry detergent scent to be the same quality as a men's or women's fragrance, I hope Surf can work out which are the pleasant uplifting ingredients that could be used in their formulas.

For information the women's scents I like because of their uplifting non-sickly sweetness are "Believe" by Britney Spears and "Womanity" by Thierry Mugler as well as the men's scent "Amen" also by Thierry Mugler and before I discovered these exquisite scents my favourite scent in the 90's and 00's was "Angel", also by Thierry Mugler. Other scents I like are Lancome Tresor Midnight Rose which is sharpish but very sweet with more body than the other scents just mentioned. It reminds me of blackcurrants. In general when it comes to household products such as scented candles or tealights when I sniff all the scents available it is nearly always the berry scents I go for as they are strongest and sweetest in an uplifting way whereas heavier or more bitter scents can be sickly. I think coconut is a hard one to blend with other scents as it often comes out bitter and sickly.

On its own as a perfume oil it can be ok e.g. the Body Shop perfume oil but is difficult in many makes of toiletries. I've had liquid soap and shampoo with coconut that smelt heavy, slightly bitter and boring. As for honey scents they can vary a lot. I think they smell beautiful if intensely sweet with no bitterness and if not mixed with something heavy and bland like vanilla. Vanilla, like coconut is best on its own, not mixed with other scents. The nicest honey scent I've ever smelt was Boots' Royal Jelly bath product but unfortunately they withdrew that more than 10, maybe 15 years ago. Later they produced another Royal Jelly liquid soap or bath product but unfortunately it was not a patch on the original. It had the slightly bitter undertone of honey without the intensely sweet topnote.

The original Royal Jelly in the navy-blue with gold edged packaging which included hexagonal shaped soap was exquisite. If you could use some clean fresh sweet and uplifting scents in your products I would definitely be buying more of them. I hate it that my local Tesco only stocks 3 scents, the toxic-smelling "perfect blacks", the ok but nothing special lavender, and the sweetish but not all that special either "vibrant colour". I came across another Surf I liked in B&M but they only had one left and I haven't seen any since and that was a limited edition infused with Comfort "Secret Paradise", another freshly sweet and non-sickly version I would like to see (and smell) again.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I bought Surf laundry detergent in Morrisons because it was a good deal. I regret that since then. I have itchy rashes in certain parts of my body and it’s really hard to exist like this. I wouldn’t recommend this product to anyone. I don’t even know how I’m supposed to discard the remaining product. Still a lot left and I’m not gonna use it for sure.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have washed my husband's dark green work shirts TWICE with this detergent and they are bleached out & faded so bad that he can't wear them to work & has to purchase new ones! There should be a warning label on the outside of the box to use only on light-colored.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I used Surf capsules for the first time and came out in a red hot and itchy rash all over my body, face, mouth and eyes. Even the soles of my feet and palms of my hands were affected. I’ve had to wash everything again and suffer days of this horrible irritation. I’ll never use them again. I have rated a one as I could not proceed without rating the product.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I bought the Surf Gems to try and I have been very disappointed with the product. They smell nice, but particular when using my dryer I have found you still get some of the gems stuck on the item you have washed, and stuck in parts of the drum in my washing machine. I personally would not recommend this product, and going back to my normal wash detergent.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I have recently changed laundry powder to Surf Tropical. I have has an extremely bad outbreak in a rash. I have narrowed it down to be from Surf Tropical laundry powder. I have stopped using the product and gone back to Fairy and found that my skin is clearing up now. 2 weeks so far looking like I have chicken pox (which I have already had!). After seeing my doctor he confirmed that it's due to a change in washing powder and it's quite common.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I have used this soap for washing my family's clothing for over 30 years. We have loved every load. From the fresh smell & feel of every load to the consistency of how well it continues to work, I will continue to use and recommend. Thank you for a great and reliable product.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Surf with Fragrance Release is bleaching our clothing. Having used Surf liquid for many years, we have noticed that periodically we are getting a bleach like stain on some of the garments that have been washed. I contacted Unilever customer care line who asked me to send them photos etc. Which I did. They responded offering me £8 of vouchers to spend on any Unilever product and basically turned it around claiming their product does not contain any bleaching agents and I must have come into contact with some household cleaning products, which is not true. Interestingly enough this is contradictory to what is stated on their FAQ page online. I quote;

"Will Surf bleach my clothes? Surf powder contains a little bleaching agent to give it super cleaning powers. But its gentle cleaning action shouldn't bleach your clothes. For extra colour protection, use Surf liquids that don't contain any bleach and are great for keeping colours vibrant." Come on guys; this is really bad behaviour towards your customers. At least offer to cover the cost of the damage garments.

Surf Laundry Detergent Company Information