Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
Surf Laundry Detergent
1.83/5

Surf Laundry Detergent

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

26 Surf Laundry Detergent Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 9, 2019

I like Surf liquid laundry detergent because it has a good range of some very pleasantly scented products. However, it is very hard to obtain my favourite scents as those supermarkets that sell it at a reasonable price seem to have a very limited range of only about 3 which are my least favourite scent. My favourite is the "wildflower and morning dew" and it is becoming difficult to find. On the other hand one that I can't stand seems to be overly promoted the "perfect blacks". My criticism of the "perfect blacks" is that it is strongly acidic and bitter-smelling, and acidity and bitterness don't mix well. It reminds me of toxic chemicals like some toilet bleach I've used which also smelled toxic to me. Acidity in a smell is acceptable if it is combined with intense sweetness as in citrus fruits and even the citrus one is a little acidic for my liking.

The "wildflowers and morning dew" on the other hand has a very pleasant sweetness which is neither bland nor overpowering and has a nice sharpish fresh top-note to bring out the sweetness without being too acidic. For me it is aromatherapeutic whereas the "perfect blacks" makes me feel slightly unwell. I don't mind some acidity mixed with a lot of sweetness and as for bitterness, slight bitterness as in herbal scents such as pine is ok too but not mixed with very acidic smells. The bitter-acidic scent of perfect blacks also has a sickly heaviness about it, perhaps meant to resemble the bitter undertones of some flowers, but those are not pleasant ingredients in flower scents.

Give me citrus or berry fruit scents above floral scents any day: one is invigorating while the other is nauseating. The exception is orange blossom and a few other flowers which have intense sweetness and strong nectar scents without any of the bitterness or heaviness you often find in other flowers. I like resinous smells as well if they are combined with sweetish notes.

The men's scent Vetiver by Guerlain is an example of a resinous fresh uplifting smell like conifers and citrus and not too bitter while sweet fruity smells always please as long as there is not too much tropical fruit as it can have sulphur undertones. I've tried the one that is supposed to remove odours and it is quite pleasant but the wildflowers one is that bit fresher and sweeter. Whilst I don't expect a laundry detergent scent to be the same quality as a men's or women's fragrance, I hope Surf can work out which are the pleasant uplifting ingredients that could be used in their formulas.

For information the women's scents I like because of their uplifting non-sickly sweetness are "Believe" by Britney Spears and "Womanity" by Thierry Mugler as well as the men's scent "Amen" also by Thierry Mugler and before I discovered these exquisite scents my favourite scent in the 90's and 00's was "Angel", also by Thierry Mugler. Other scents I like are Lancome Tresor Midnight Rose which is sharpish but very sweet with more body than the other scents just mentioned. It reminds me of blackcurrants. In general when it comes to household products such as scented candles or tealights when I sniff all the scents available it is nearly always the berry scents I go for as they are strongest and sweetest in an uplifting way whereas heavier or more bitter scents can be sickly. I think coconut is a hard one to blend with other scents as it often comes out bitter and sickly.

On its own as a perfume oil it can be ok e.g. the Body Shop perfume oil but is difficult in many makes of toiletries. I've had liquid soap and shampoo with coconut that smelt heavy, slightly bitter and boring. As for honey scents they can vary a lot. I think they smell beautiful if intensely sweet with no bitterness and if not mixed with something heavy and bland like vanilla. Vanilla, like coconut is best on its own, not mixed with other scents. The nicest honey scent I've ever smelt was Boots' Royal Jelly bath product but unfortunately they withdrew that more than 10, maybe 15 years ago. Later they produced another Royal Jelly liquid soap or bath product but unfortunately it was not a patch on the original. It had the slightly bitter undertone of honey without the intensely sweet topnote.

The original Royal Jelly in the navy-blue with gold edged packaging which included hexagonal shaped soap was exquisite. If you could use some clean fresh sweet and uplifting scents in your products I would definitely be buying more of them. I hate it that my local Tesco only stocks 3 scents, the toxic-smelling "perfect blacks", the ok but nothing special lavender, and the sweetish but not all that special either "vibrant colour". I came across another Surf I liked in B&M but they only had one left and I haven't seen any since and that was a limited edition infused with Comfort "Secret Paradise", another freshly sweet and non-sickly version I would like to see (and smell) again.

Original review: April 7, 2019

I bought Surf laundry detergent in Morrisons because it was a good deal. I regret that since then. I have itchy rashes in certain parts of my body and it’s really hard to exist like this. I wouldn’t recommend this product to anyone. I don’t even know how I’m supposed to discard the remaining product. Still a lot left and I’m not gonna use it for sure.

Get expert buying tips about Household Cleaning Products delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I have washed my husband's dark green work shirts TWICE with this detergent and they are bleached out & faded so bad that he can't wear them to work & has to purchase new ones! There should be a warning label on the outside of the box to use only on light-colored.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I used Surf capsules for the first time and came out in a red hot and itchy rash all over my body, face, mouth and eyes. Even the soles of my feet and palms of my hands were affected. I’ve had to wash everything again and suffer days of this horrible irritation. I’ll never use them again. I have rated a one as I could not proceed without rating the product.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I bought the Surf Gems to try and I have been very disappointed with the product. They smell nice, but particular when using my dryer I have found you still get some of the gems stuck on the item you have washed, and stuck in parts of the drum in my washing machine. I personally would not recommend this product, and going back to my normal wash detergent.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Surf?

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I have recently changed laundry powder to Surf Tropical. I have has an extremely bad outbreak in a rash. I have narrowed it down to be from Surf Tropical laundry powder. I have stopped using the product and gone back to Fairy and found that my skin is clearing up now. 2 weeks so far looking like I have chicken pox (which I have already had!). After seeing my doctor he confirmed that it's due to a change in washing powder and it's quite common.

Original review: March 22, 2018

I have used this soap for washing my family's clothing for over 30 years. We have loved every load. From the fresh smell & feel of every load to the consistency of how well it continues to work, I will continue to use and recommend. Thank you for a great and reliable product.

Original review: July 14, 2017

Surf with Fragrance Release is bleaching our clothing. Having used Surf liquid for many years, we have noticed that periodically we are getting a bleach like stain on some of the garments that have been washed. I contacted Unilever customer care line who asked me to send them photos etc. Which I did. They responded offering me £8 of vouchers to spend on any Unilever product and basically turned it around claiming their product does not contain any bleaching agents and I must have come into contact with some household cleaning products, which is not true. Interestingly enough this is contradictory to what is stated on their FAQ page online. I quote;

"Will Surf bleach my clothes? Surf powder contains a little bleaching agent to give it super cleaning powers. But its gentle cleaning action shouldn't bleach your clothes. For extra colour protection, use Surf liquids that don't contain any bleach and are great for keeping colours vibrant." Come on guys; this is really bad behaviour towards your customers. At least offer to cover the cost of the damage garments.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2016

The reason I enjoy using the detergent is that it never lets me down. I could rely on this product whenever I need my clothes to come out as if they were brand new! How can anyone survive without this cleaning product? There is a little spread of goodness in this world when you are reassured that this product would never let you down. You can rest assure that you can always have clean, bright, fresh smelling clothes coming out of your laundry mat. There is nothing to it, just spread a little sunshine in the washing machine and magic begins to happen every time you chose to use this product. I guarantee that no one could live without this amazing product.

Make the right choice and chose this detergent. It will make your days a little brighter! You'll feel as though you're riding the waves when the work is being done using this product. You will see a difference when your wash is finished! It is worth purchasing because the price is conveniently put together. So don't make any excuse. Try it today, and you won't be sorry. You'll see yourself growing attached very quickly!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2016

My husband just washed a bunch of our clothes with liquid Surf detergent that we bought at Fred Meyers. I went to get dressed this morning and while sorting through the clothes my arms broke out in hives. To make matters worse, he lifted the detergent off of the washing machine where it was sitting tap down, some of the liquid had dripped onto the top of the washing machine and normally you'd just wipe it off with water. Fine, right? No! It burned through the enamel on the washer and the area where the detergent sat all chipped off! RIP my apartment deposit...

Original review: Oct. 22, 2016

I have bought Surf capsules for the first time, and have now got red patches and rash all over my body, along with red lumps. My face is covered in a rash and my eyes are particularly hot and sore. I have never experienced anything like this before. After talking to a relative who bought the same product I found that him and his partner are also suffering the same symptoms. What do companies do when such dreadful symptoms occur? My son has particularly bad allergies and asthma if he was to use this he would be in hospital. Don't use it.

Original review: June 9, 2016

Surf is my favorite laundry detergent brand. I love how it's very bubbly when you use it to wash clothes. Some laundry detergents just don't seem bubbly enough, which makes me think that their cleaning capability is of lesser quality. I often use the Antibacterial with 5 Herbal Extracts type (the white one) because it has the best smell. I've tried other brands like Tide or Ariel, but they just don't do it for me. Surf Powder with FabCon, clean and nothing smells as good, only 5 pesos!

Original review: May 22, 2016

We use surf pink to clean our clothes. It complements with the surf fabric softener that we use. I love how our clothes smell after it gets washed with Surf. I also love that they have promos, like free buckets or free brooms if we buy the big bag of detergent. It is a household staple for our family. I would know if the house help would use a different brand.

Original review: April 5, 2016

I used Surf Laundry detergent for many years because it seemed to clean well and smell good. I suddenly broke out in hives and unbearable itching with welts on my back and elsewhere. After many weeks of this I finally decided it was the Surf detergent and something had been changed. I stopped using the detergent and the rash and itching cleared up.

Recently, I purchased another small box of Surf at my Dollar General store because of the price and I had to be convinced it was actually this detergent that caused the itching. And once again, after using the Surf sparkling ocean, the rash and itching resumed and my husband even complained of itching. I purchased my Gain and set the half box of Surf to the side. My itching has substantially diminished and I have learned my lesson. Never will I purchase Surf detergent again.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2016

I purchased Surf Ocean Scented Powder detergent in mid-December. This was not a brand I usually buy. I have a front loader and since this was HE detergent I figured I would give it a try. What a regret that was. I developed a rash along my arms, legs and chest. I had to go to dermatologist twice and then rewash everything that I had laundered with Surf. Thankfully Sam's quickly processed my return and issued full refund.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2015

I have been using a local soap powder brand for doing my laundry until my sister in-law recommended using Surf. It seemed good when I was doing hand wash (I usually handwash my clothes). When I finished, my hands' skin felt smooth but stiff. After some time, my skin started to chap. I'm very picky with soap detergents and Surf does not really work well with me. I'm switching back to my local soap powder.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2015

Bought Surf pink as it was on offer. We have used all kinds of powder before with no problems. After one day of wearing clothes washed in Surf my husband's skin came out in rashes and hives, and had to be prescribed Portion after over the counter rash creams didn't relieve his allergy. Having read other reviews on here it has to be the Surf. Have had to wash all his clothes again.

Original review: June 17, 2015

I've used Surf for a number of years. They recently changed their recipe it seems -- suddenly, allergic response. If you're suddenly suffering, check your wash powder -- it may have changed! Narrow it down, remove everything and contact something freshly washed when clear for a few mins. Odds are, like me, you'll get a rash if you're having allergy problems.

Original review: May 3, 2015

Have been using Surf for a couple of weeks and when the cycle is complete there is always a hard lump of congealed powder left behind in the detergent drawer? When removing the drawer to clean it found more powder inside machine where drawer goes. Have never experienced this before with any other washing powder? Very annoying!

Original review: March 9, 2015

Just recently changed my washing powder from Bold to Surf and been through hell after about 2 weeks using Surf. I came out with rashes all over my body itching like mad causing my skin to bleed. I went to the doctors 5 times and didn't realize it was Surf washing powder until after trying everything else. Went back to Bold and it all went away. Thank God I just couldn't understand how a washing powder could cause me so much discomfort. Absolutely unbelievable. So glad I've sorted it out and just posting this to see if anyone else has had the same problems

Original review: Nov. 12, 2014

My wife buys Surf Sparkling Ocean laundry detergent at a bulk warehouse store. For a while we have noticed hard plastic spots on our sheets and clothes. Had a licensed repairman check the washing machine and clothes dryer and couldn't find anything wrong with either. This morning my wife found a small plastic pellet in the Surf box of detergent which would explain the hard plastic spots that would melt while in the dryer and into the fabric. I'm buying another box and shift through it to see if this is a systemic problem.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2014

I bought a big box of powder detergent from Sam's Club and now have so many pieces of clothes that are ruined! It seems that there is something in this that bleaches out dark clothes and turns them into tie-dye!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2012

I have used Surf Laundry Detergent most of my life. I have sensitive skin so I always stick to what doesn't cause me issues. I went to Sam's Club and bought a big box (trying to save money). I noticed that this was a new and improved formula. I purchased it and washed my clothes with it anyway. I developed severe hives after wearing the clothing. I had also washed my linens with it as well. This is horrid!

Original review: April 6, 2010

My son bought a huge box of Surf spring blast which is not the brand I normally use. But I used the product and after every wash there is always detergent left all over the clothes resulting in me having to re-rinse every load I wash. Due to having to re-rinse after every load, my water bill actually went up! This product is ridiculous. And I wouldn't buy it again if it were pennies!

Original review: March 24, 2008

I found what seems to be rat droppings in my detergent.I bought it yesterday 3-23 and noticed it this morning 3-24. I have never noticed so much debris in a detergent before. One saeven has a small piece of gray hair! YUCK! I don't know where to start or how can I get testing done to determine what this is in my detergent. Is that worth a claim? I'm taking further steps but decided to take advantage of your help! Please. Thanks.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2002

I suspect I am highly allergic to Surf Laundry Detergent with Active Oxygen. I have been breaking out in severe hives since I purchased the huge container at Sam's Club in November. I don't really know what to do, since I don't have the receipt and there is so much of it left. How can I prove that I am allergic to it? Last night I washed clothes in a different detergent and have not had any problems today. Any ideas? Thank you.

Surf Laundry Detergent Company Information