2. Miscellaneous

1.6/5 (1206 ratings)

About Publishers Clearing House

Publishers Clearing House is a direct marketing company that markets magazine subscriptions and some merchandise, including kitchen gadgets, with sweepstakes and prize-based games. Its casino-style games include slots, keno, quizzes, scratch-offs, solitaire and others.

Pros

• Daily sweepstakes
  • Friendly service
  • Free to enter

Cons

• Marketing overload
  • Slim odds

Bottom Line

Publishers Clearing House is a company that offers low-stakes daily sweepstakes prizes. There’s no purchase necessary to win, but the odds of winning are small and playing results in frequent email and mail offers.

Publishers Clearing House Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2009

I received my order. I had only ordered one item. Apparently, it came with a free item. When I saw the statement, I have been charged $4.99 for them to send it to me. It's a bag of junk that I didn't want to start with. They charged $5.99 to ship me my $11.96 item that weighed only a few ounces. That was ripoff enough, but to be charged $4.99 to ship something I didn't even want was ridiculous. Then I was told that I received an email and that I deleted it. I never received an email or I would have canceled the order immediately. So now, in order to get a credit for it, I have to pay to send them the little bag of junk back. It will cost me to ship it back. Plus, I was insulted by the operator telling me that I received an email, didn't read it and deleted it, which I did not do. It was never received.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2009

I received a paper shredder about 2 months ago. I went to try it the other day and it would not turn on. I changed the outlets and it still wouldn't work. I called the manufacturer and they said to call Publishers Clearing House who I bought it from.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2009

I ordered two items from PCH and never received them. They may have sent them to the address I was living at, but I no longer live there. They have our new address because I've received a bill stating I owe the money. This is wrong and I will not pay the bill. If they really care about their clients, they should make them sign for their products to make sure the right people are getting them. They turned us into a collection agency. I've ordered a lot of things from them and I would be happy to pay for the items if I receive them.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2009

I have been trying to get PCH to fix their scratch cards website with no response from them. They state everyone has the same chance at winning there prizes, but how can that be when only certain people can get the cards. I use to be able to play but now, the page just stays blue and to the right of page, it shows me winners. PCH has not even tried to email me back about this. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2009

I have been a loyal PCH customer since November 2003 with a pretty good record as far as ordering items from time to time. I have had complaints prior to this with regards to quality and shipping costs of items ordered, but did not pass them on. This complaint is regarding a package containing 12 oz. of Pecan Snappers, which, by the way, I did not order to my knowledge and cannot eat such candies with caramel such as hard as these are. Impossible to consume. Also, they were broken and appeared to have been subjected to very warm temperatures as the chocolate was turning white.

I was going to ship the carton back to PCH via the post office, but found they wanted almost $4.50 to send it the cheapest way. I am very disappointed in being unable to contact PCH by phone and hope this will reach the proper person(s). The following is on the carton if this will help to identify the shipment. I will appreciate a prompt reply from Publisher's Clearing House with some sort of solution and to see this does not happen again in the future. I would like to return this shipment, but will refuse to pay such shipping charges to do so.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2009

Just over a month ago, late October, I received a phone call from the staff of Publishers Clearing House informing me that on Nov. 11, 2009 I would be receiving a visit, along with media coverage to present me with their million contest prize check. I also received a form with the info regarding this prize via US mail. I did not receive a penny of the amount specified. I would like to know how they can legally pass this type of info to their subscribers with absolutely no contact to me with a change of decision. They even gave a street by street list of directions for arriving at my home from the middle of town. This is one of the dirtiest tricks I have ever heard of from a supposedly legitimate business. I would like your comment on this matter.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2009

PCH Search and Win e-mails, goes in an electronic circle and never gets the user registered to win. One is just directed back to the search screen over and over. Just annoying and does not offer the promised opportunity to register for whatever prize they are promoting.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2009

I am 84 years old and living on social security. I kept getting letters asking me to order. I did order numerous things. I sent a couple of checks and kept waiting for a billing, which I never received until I wrote a second letter. When I received a letter from Clearinghouse, finally, they demanded the total amount of money that I owed. I called Clearinghouse customer service and talked with Debra. I went through all of the things I had ordered along with two things I didn't order. Everything I have ordered has been paid for, and I told Debra to take me off their mailing list and that I don't want to hear from them again.

Today, I got a postcard from Clearinghouse telling me that the microwave plate covers I ordered were on back order (which tells me they have not taken me off their mailing list or closed the account). I still have not received any of the magazines I ordered and paid for. I have copies of all correspondences and checks that were mailed to Clearinghouse. It is my feeling that when they continue sending for us to order things and do not send us regular billings as other companies do, they are just trying to trap us into a big bill, since we have no record of what our status is. I am fortunate that even at 84 years old, I still have a sound mind and I keep good records.

Since I have asked them twice to take me off their mailing list and they still keep sending me correspondence, I have no alternative but to report them to BBB and Fair Trade Commission. I am concerned about other old folks who cannot defend themselves as well as I can, who get trapped into a large billing and then get demands for payment with threats of being turned over to collection. I really would like to get this resolved. They can do it by just taking me off their mailing list, which it is obvious they have not done.

It is true that the order for the microwave cover (which they said was on back order in this card I received today) was ordered, but that was before my conversation with Debra telling her to cancel my account and take me off their mailing list. I get darn mad when I receive more correspondence from them after asking them not to contact me anymore.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2009

I ordered frying pans. They were low quality. I should have sent them back but I didn't and finally sent a money order with a copy of the bill. I am still receiving letters that the account is past due and will be turned to collections. They want another copy of the letter and money order which I have. I feel like the first time I sent the letter with the bill copy and payment the issue at hand should be over! Why should I use my precious time to correct their mistake three times? I should not have to do anything else. I have done my part already! This has resulted to aggravation and probably a bill that is paid. I will have to dispute on my credit report. This is not fair!

Original review: Nov. 21, 2009

I have denied their subscriptions. They continue calling and sending bills. They are also sending CDs that I did not order. Now, they are hounding me to send payment. I did not order and will not send money. I just want them then to quit contacting me.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2009

I received a post card from PCH.com, they’re trying to contact me and warning me if I fail to respond, they will forfeit my eligibility from this notice. Well, there is no such PCH.com/bonus. They say I was eligible for an additional $1,000.00 prize opportunity plus an exciting bonus you won't want to miss.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2009

A card came in the mail to my house and said, “We’ve been trying to contact you. Go online to ** and put in prize access code **, so I did. And a Trojan virus came in my laptop and the name on it was Todd **, senior vice president. I had a firewall, but one got in.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2009

I received a phone call from someone saying that they were from Publisher's Clearing House. The phone # is 623-242-1657. They’re asking me a lot of questions like what type of credit card I use most often, my age, etc. My phone number is on the opt-out list, but I was called anyway.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2009

I was informed that I had won the 2nd prize in the Publishers Clearinghouse sweepstake and my check would be sent via Fed XPress on Friday, 11/6/09. She did not ask for any money to claim the prize, but did not have my zip code or date of birth. I called the number back and after one ring, it says to leave a message. I am not sure where they will go with this, but I was not asked for money or a credit card number but they do have my personal info.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2009

I ordered Playboy magazine in August 2009 and never received it. I paid by check $15.96. Honor the order or issue refund.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2009

I, too, received a card others referred to. Many sound like my mother did, which is not reading the "fine" print. The card says "additional $1,000,000 prize opportunity" - not that they have won that amount or any amount. My mother died before PCH was ordered before a senate committee and ordered not to continue the type of mailings they used to do with much fine print and insinuating that there was a better chance of winning with a purchase of a certain amount, usually at least $25, and promise of free gifts. The fine print gave the possibilities of receiving each "prize" and there was always a 1 in 1,000,000 (some huge number) and 1 in 1 chance of getting something valued at $10 or less.

Over the years, my mom gave all of us these "junk" gifts. After my mother died, I found thousands of dollars of cancelled checks made out to PCH and nothing to show for it. She actually wanted someone to be at her appt when she was gone as she was going to have a refrigerator delivered on Thursday. I read the fine print, and of course there was no refrigerator or Thursday or any other day. Places like this rely on people, especially seniors, not to read the fine print. When the senate committee met, family members spoke of relatives losing all of their savings to PCH. Also, people should know that if something is sent to them, unordered, they have no obligation to return it and it is theirs to use or whatever they wish.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2009

I received a post card about attempts to contact me and stating that failure to respond would result in forfeiture of eligibility for a $1,000,000 prize opportunity. It also provided a prize access code to use but no such website could be found to respond to with this code. Do they ever really award any of these prizes they advertise? The card was signed by Todd ** (Sr. VP).

Original review: Nov. 2, 2009

I received a post card stating that I needed to respond or I would have to forfeit my eligibility. I went to the website and there was no such website to get on. I'm very disappointed because I was hoping that this was my chance to make a better life for us.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2009

I continually receive mail from PHC saying a drawing will be held on certain date on NBC. Nothing ever comes of it. I want to make sure that my information that I send to them isn't used illegally.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2009

They sent me a postcard to claim prize access saying, “PCH is trying to contact you. We urge you to go online immediately to pch.com/bonus and enter prize access code **.” I was upset when there was no site.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2009

I received a postcard about prize. It said go to pch.com/bonus on net. I could not locate this website. I found only complaints from others receiving the same postcard. Is this a scam?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2009

I received a post card special online bonus opportunity. Respond or forfeit eligibility to this e-mail address: pch.com/bonus. However, there is no such web address. It would be interesting to know if the printed US postage paid stamp is even real. I have entered this promotion for years. I feel that they skirt present laws and if this company was handling the US Treasury, there would be no deficit. Their contests have 2 and 3-year timelines with small prizes every so often to appease requirements. Please include me in any legal actions regarding this company. I would be interested in IRS investigations and US Post Office studies. The photos of winners are real, but they are for $1000 winners, not million or $10 million winners.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2009

I received postcard indicating attempts to contact me and to go to website pch.com/bonus. No such website. I was redirected to ConsumerAffairs.com. There should be a law that protects any consumer that responds. Reporting this as a "scam" and perpetrators must be prosecuted to the full extent of the laws of this country! In the event I am charged with any amount by person or persons unknown, I acknowledge that I must be held "harmless" and "not responsible" for any all charges effective immediately!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2009

I received a postcard in the mail a couple days ago. I decided to go online and see what it’s all about. On the front it specifically said “PCH.com is trying to contact you!” It said, “Claim prize access enter today.” (With my name and address below). Also, on front under my address looked like a barcode and under it said, “I.D. Number: **.” On the back of the postcard it read “warning” in red, then my name and “failure to respond will forfeit your eligibility from this notice!” It said I was eligible for an additional $1,000,000.00 prize opportunity, plus an exciting bonus.

They urged me immediately to go online to pch.com/bonus and “please use the special prize access code below”, which read ** with Publisher Clearing House’s name below it and also signed Todd **- Senior Vice President! Nothing, I mean nothing could I find even slightly pertaining to this ad. What’s going on? I never received any such mail like this and PCH was always on the up and up as far as I knew. I’ve ordered in the past, but not in the last couple years, only entering sweeps. What will come of this? I read other stories similar to mine so I know what I’ve got have to be a scam as well. I never received anything like this before and it’s not making PCH look too good either.

I was emotionally taken back and wanted to respond right away. I happened to get side tracked and got back to it today. When I couldn’t find the "site" and started reading others' complaints about scams, I was mortified! Especially coming from PCH who everyone knows for years! You wouldn’t expect a scam. I’m glad I took time to go online and I ended up here. I am disappointed that someone could actually get away with doing something like this to people. It’s wrong! Just wrong.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2009

The card is saying they have been trying to contact me. There is no website for it at all. What a scam.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2009

Yes, I received the same thing as many of the other complaints. Code vW3168. As to many of the mailings I have received, I see they do their homework. As to the place they will be picking up my flowers, it has been out of business for some time. Thanks.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2009

A postcard said to go online to a website and enter the prize access code w6175 to take advantage of all available opportunities to win. Note: Nothing happened; no prizes, and all even more bogus false advertisement. Solution: Stop it.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2009

I received a postcard telling me to go to a website that does not exist.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2009

I received a postcard, requesting my reply. Prize access code was DH275. It seems to be there's no website with this address.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2009

I received a postcard on October 28. It stated to get online right away to claim the bonus prize. No such site as given in the card. Scam?

Publishers Clearing House Company Information