1.6/5 (1207 ratings)

About Publishers Clearing House

Publishers Clearing House is a direct marketing company that markets magazine subscriptions and some merchandise, including kitchen gadgets, with sweepstakes and prize-based games. Its casino-style games include slots, keno, quizzes, scratch-offs, solitaire and others.

Pros

• Daily sweepstakes
  • Friendly service
  • Free to enter

Cons

• Marketing overload
  • Slim odds

Bottom Line

Publishers Clearing House is a company that offers low-stakes daily sweepstakes prizes. There’s no purchase necessary to win, but the odds of winning are small and playing results in frequent email and mail offers.

Publishers Clearing House Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Publishers Clearing House?

Original review: Feb. 5, 2010

First of all, I find it impossible to be able to contact PCH by telephone, as it seems they do not want to hear any negative comments over the phone, either that or your operators do not have a good grip on our English language. Each time, I have tried to contact PCH via the internet, going to their web site of pch.com, it is kicked back as unable to contact or this address is not reliable, etc,etc. It is almost as bad trying to get PCH customer service on the internet. As for your sweepstakes on the net, I have a question as to what are you wanting in the search line? My name, initials, or what? I have tried many ways, and get nothing but a bunch of names all over the country with my name of R. Just a mess all the way.

I have just today, saw where I am to be cancelled or whatever, and tried to e-mail it to PCH, but it would not go. If you are planning to cut me off of any further mailings or as a contestant in your sweeps, this will be your loss, as I have been with you since 2003, and have a good record in ordering products you have offered. which I will say are overpriced. The products made in China and also the shipping and handling charges are exorbitant. I do have my doubts that I will receive any responses to my complaints by PCH, but at least I have let off some steam. Your records will prove out how long I have been a customer and my entering your sweepstakes (Without winning one single dime) I might add. There, I am finished. Good Bye.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2010

PCH keeps sending me these e-mails to enter their sweepstakes. They inform me that I'm about to forfeit my chance if I don't enter. I enter every time. When doing so, they, (PCH) tries to install an "exploit" bug on my computer, but my anti-virus stops it and removes it. My question is, whats up with all the entering? Why do they try to install malware on my computer? Can nothing be done about this?

Original review: Feb. 4, 2010

I have been sent a bill for Prevention magazine. I had sent check with order #** on 1-13-2010.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2010

I ordered products from the company and it arrived broken. I paid $6.99 for shipping and do not want to pay the same amount to return it. Total purchase was $26.95. I would like to contact the company to send replacement products. Of the four items shipped, one was broken.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2010

They did not apply my payments correctly so I was charged late fees. Their products are total ***. Most of them look great in the photos but when they come in, they are plastic and some came in broken. Do not be fooled by their mailings that tell you they have booked a hotel in your area, they lie! It is a total scam that plays on the weak willed and the elderly. They promise a winner and never fulfill their promise! It's a stupid scam! Their mailings do make great fire starters though. Their products are garbage and not worth the money I paid for them. Some of the videos were from the 80's.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2010

I had ordered a diabetic book/ magazine to help me with my meals and I have not received one. I did not order Stars. I don't need that magazine; it doesn't help me with anything. Right now, I need to survive/live since I have been diagnosed with diabetes. I can't afford anything else. Please discontinue the Stars and see to it that I get the diabetic book/mag. that I ordered. I have made 2 payments on that account.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2010

This person Jessica called me at home and told me that I was the early bird winner from sweepstakes #1400. It was not true. Nobody ever came to my home with flowers and balloons and of course, no check! I don't think PCH should allow this. Seems to be a scam to me! I stayed home from work for two days that they where supposed to arrive at my house with all the fixings. I lost two days pay. Thanks to PCH!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2010

There is no way to enter [their] sweepstakes on the message [they] sent me. I have not been able to order or enter on the last several emails [they] sent me. What's the problem?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2010

Omar called me and told me that I won $2.5 million from PCH. He wanted me to pay $175. He told me to contact Andrew S. to confirm. So far there has been no damage.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2010

I have been playing the Publishers Clearing House online games and winning tokens. I have 15,000 plus tokens to redeem and when I go to redeem them I get a message that I cannot because I am not a US citizen. I was born 50 miles from my current address. I think it is probably a rip-off to prevent token redemption. I redeemed several thousand just a few months ago. It just wasted my time and caused frustration.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2010

I ordered 12 (there were not 12 items in the package I received) Fragrant Lavender in August 2009, order #**. They arrived some time in September, supposedly in a "dormant state". I planted them in new soil, new planters and waited. In October, I made the first of the four payments in the amount of $5.49, check #**. After a time it became clear that these weren't dormant, they are quite simply dead and entirely absent of any roots. I phoned and after a lengthy wait to get to an actual human being and explaining that after some 50 years of gardening I did know the difference between "dormant" and "dead" plants, I was asked if I wanted a refund or replacement. Since I had already spent money on planters and soil, I requested a replacement.

None arrived. Nevertheless, I made the remainder of the payment due, $16.46 by check #**. Subsequently (I'm sorry, I don't have the exact date of the letter as it got shuffled in our recent earthquake), I received an apology stating that the item was no longer available. In the interim, since I had completed paying the total of $15.96 + $5.99 S&H = $21.95, I was informed that the refund promised to me would either be applied to any outstanding balance or arrive in the form of a check. Not having learned that the products this outfit sells are both overpriced and of very poor quality, I had subsequently ordered a set of pill cutters at $11.96 + $5.99 S&H = $17.95. Trusting that someone at PCH is doing jobs other than sending out endless promises of big winning, I assumed that my payment of a total $21.95 would be applied to the cost of the pill cutters. Instead, I am being dunned for the Pill Cutters (which are so flimsy they couldn't cut a stale aspirin, much less the cat medication for which I intended them).

Attempting to access the order number online to ascertain just what PCH did with my "refund", I discovered that the link to that order is dead and there is nowhere to make a complaint or inquiry online. I am elderly and disabled, and do nearly all of my purchases online. I am not yet feeble enough to believe that purchasing or not purchasing has anything to do with the odds of winning the astronomical sums PCH claims to award, but I do expect them to cease dunning me when my account clearly has a credit balance. I simply wanted to order something I thought would arrive in usable condition and having received their apology first for the deceased condition of the Fragrant Lavender, then an apology that no more deceased Lavender would be available. I expected that the $21.95 I had paid for a few dead stick with no roots would be applied, as promised, to the outstanding balance for the flimsy Pill Cutters.

By my calculation, PCH still owes me a refund of $4, the balance between what I paid for the deceased "Fragrant Lavender" and the flimsy Pill Cutters. I can guarantee PCH that this customer will be placing no further orders, ever. Economically, I am out of pocket $21.95. Physically? I don't imagine PCH cares about my blood pressure or anxiety or very much about the stress being threatened with collection entails. I just want my credit applied to the final purchase and a check for the remaining $4 sent to me ASAP.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2010

You send out mail to check online, impossible bonus with prize access number is a joke. I'm beginning to think the same of PCH.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2010

I keep getting emails about not yet entering the sweepstakes program of which I thought I had. It is not an easy program to understand. It says search. What am I supposed to search for?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2010

Ordered a magazine and paid for it in June and have not got it yet. They billed me again in Oct. I called and they said they were sorry and my magazine would start in Jan. I still have not gotten it yet.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2010

I ordered some crazy funny music as a Christmas present. I have never received them or got a response. Today, 1-10-20, I received a bill. I haven't even opened it. I am so upset. I've never had one complaint about these people and have always paid full price on receipt of product. What gives here now?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2010

I received two orders recently in the mail, one I never ordered. I'd like to know the process of returning the said order and paying the other. #303579071063 not ordered. #303583445172 accepted. I feel I should not have to pay postage in order to return this error.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2010

Responding to a TV ad, I went to their website to enter the $10M contest. It states that you do not have to purchase anything to enter but you get stuck in this loop of responding to offers to receive quotes or some other product or service. Some sites allow you to skip and others want to click to continue but if you're not interested in the product/service you can't continue. This makes the "no purchase necessary" fraudulent because your entry is not complete and you can't go any further without selecting something that will also require you to provide personal info and agreeing to continue with selection.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2010

I received the letter from Publishers Clearinghouse, stating that they would be in my neighborhood on a certain day. They did not even have the right name on it, but had my correct address and state, a good thing I noticed before I filled everything out. Goes to show that they just put any name on it. Beware when they arrive in the mail and make sure it's your name and not someone else. I really doubt you win if you do not order. It is filled with things to buy magazines and etc. They are very dishonest.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2010

First of all, there is no phone number listed on their site nor could I find one. Second of all, not all people have computers! My mother and sister are prime examples. My mother is 75 years old and she doesn't have the money to invest in one. She is on a very tight income and every penny is accounted for. So how are people without computers supposed to enter these contests?

Original review: Jan. 9, 2010

I have tried many different ways to apply for the PCH.com contest but it would not allow me to enter unless I would fill out an insurance form. Then I received a phone call within minutes after submitting my insurance information and still was not able to submit my entry. It claims you do not have to buy anything. Not true. Very time consuming and still have not been able to submit a chance for the money give away.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2010

On my sweepstakes return, it states I have been a participant since 2008. I have been in the sweepstakes for many years and have not yet even gotten a small prize. I noticed every person who wins has a house. I guess you don't go to housing project. I will never get involved in the game again. All they try to do is to get you to buy products.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2010

It states you do not have to buy anything but you cannot get to the end of the entry form due to pop up ads. You try and try but you will never get a confirmation. Don't waste your time with the online process, it does not work!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2010

On 1/2/2010, I went online to join the PCH $15,000.00 sweepstakes. I wrote all my pertinent information, and clicked continue. After dozens of advertisements, always clicking continue, it ended with an insurance ad that either you signed up for it or you got offline. I got offline. On 1/3/2010, I received a confirmation notice for the magazines I ordered. I ordered none. On 1/4/2010, I called PCH and it took me 45 minutes to find a number. I was told I have to wait for the bill and then call to cancel it. What a scam! I don't even know if I am on their list for the $15,000.00 or not. I don't care! No consequences, I'm just angry! I feel I have been scammed.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2009

I have been entering their sweepstakes for a number of years with no problems. Lately, they have been sending me emails to enter for a drawing of one kind or another. The only problem is they don't have any of what they call "special links". These are words or phrases that are highlighted and underlined that you can click on and they take you to another location. I sent an email to them about this, but I never received any answer. Now, I can't get them to stop sending emails. I think I'm going to try to contact them one more time. This time, I'm going to tell them to "remove me from their mailing lists now before I am forced to contact my law firm". Yes, I do have a law firm at my disposal.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2009

I've not dealt with PCH in years but decided I take a chance and enter a sweepstakes. Since then, I have been bombarded with mailings and emails. Honestly, something is in the mailbox every other day from PCH. I can't get them to stop. During the time since entering that first sweepstakes six months ago, I've ordered a set of two frying pans that are pure junk and a ladies purse that split in the middle first the time I used it. I am sending all their junk back to them and asking to be removed from the mailing lists. It will now cost me more money to send their junk back to them, not counting that I had already paid for the junk. I do not expect to get my money back but I do expect to be left alone and not get any more mail.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2009

I received a bill for an order allegedly overdue. That order was paid with a check from Premier Bank of Puerto Rico on December 16, 2009. The check was for $21.95.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2009

I try to enter their contests and it takes forever to complete a simple entry. One cannot just enter and go on. One has to go through long drawn out "surveys" to get to the end of the entry process. These "surveys" are questions to find out if one is interested in a lot of different products. If you enter an interest in any of the products, one is bombarded with offers from lots of companies.

One also has to endure phone call after phone call from people who want to offer one of their products, in which one showed a remote interest. For example, I tried to get through the entering process quickly, but I was sent to a "survey". I tried to skip through all of the offers, but there was one I couldn't skip. I had to answer the question if I wanted to go on. I decided I would get an insurance quote. I answered the questions and waited for the quote to come via email.

I have been bombarded by numerous phone calls from way too many insurance companies. I also have received calls from online colleges and other businesses, all because I wanted to enter a Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes. I wasn't aware of the numerous complaints. Now that I am aware, I will no longer be entering their contests. I'm done! I have wasted a lot of time and have accomplished nothing. I have not sent any money, or given any personal information. I have lost phone minutes due to the numerous calls I have received. I have a limited amount of minutes per month and when they run out, there is no more.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2009

I have been entering there sweepstakes for years and purchasing products. I really looked over my bill today and called to question a charge. I was told even though the item was a free gift; they charge $4.99 shipping and handling. I also received an item with previous order that was a piece of junk but they were billing me because I put a stamp in a certain place. This was not a purchase stamp. I requested they take me off their list and said I was going to report them. I received a very "carefree remark" – go right ahead. At this point, I am receiving late charges and would like to know how to proceed.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2009

I continually receive harassing and dunning collection letters although in the said letter, I was told to disregard any bills in the incorrect amount. I ordered two Snuggies at 50% off and two dog throws at 50% off. I received two Snuggies and one dog throw. After the said letter, on a few occasions I tried to reach Ms. Emily ** by telephone, but was unsuccessful and never received a call back from Ms. ** or anyone else. I would like to get this matter resolved.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2009

I ordered a CD from PCH and was sent a "free gift" (a knife set) and was charged $4.99 for shipping for the free knife set along with another $8.99 for the CD, for a total shipping charge of $13.98. I complained and they reduced the shipping charges by a few dollars stating that shipping is calculated by the value of their products and not by the weight. This is a scam and it should be stopped. The fact that they are able to conduct this type of action based on "value" and not actual shipping weight.

Publishers Clearing House Company Information