PartyLite/Blyth Industries

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I love Partylite Candles, the way they burn all the way down, the scents which blow all other candles out of the water and the exclusive decor items. I also love that I don't have to go to a retail store and instead deal with a very helpful and friendly rep/consultant who is always advising me of upcoming deals, rewards and when to purchase things for the most savings. I got an early look at the new catalogue and have already picked out the decor items I'll be using for an upcoming brunch event. I can't rave enough about the products and I will never burn another other brand of candle – even thinking about becoming a part-time rep myself.

I attended my cousin's party in March as a favor, and ordered the mobile air freshener, fragrance sticks, and some tea lights. Everything was received quickly and in good condition, and while the price was a little steep compared to a place like Walmart, it is high quality stuff made in the USA -- IMHO, you get what you pay for, and I'm quite pleased. At my cousin's party, I was talked into booking one of my own in May. It went really, really well (despite getting a flat tire on my way there!). I had over $700 in sales, and was able to pick out several nice items with my host credit. I just received an e-mail (one week after my party) that those items are also on the way to me.

So my experience with PartyLite seems to be the complete opposite of many people submitting reviews here, and I think my consultant, Kris, may have a great deal to do with that. Not only did she help me with invites, keep the parties lively, and do a wonderful job showing the products, but she was extremely competent when it came to handling the orders, explaining how everything worked, and answering all of my questions. Having worked as a recruiter for a couple of other direct sales businesses when I was in college, I have to say my experience with PartyLite has been a rather pleasant surprise.

I was a PartyLite consultant geez probably in the 80's. I totally believed they were the best candles! I still have some of the candle from back then. I can't believe they still burn beautifully! I moved to SC and PartyLite wasn't around. For special holidays I would buy other brands for the scent of pumpkin, etc. because I didn't have those. The candles burn badly. I like the way PartyLite candles burn all the way to the bottom. I found a person from Charleston who would come and give a party for me and I got my free candles. The only change in all these years are the scents. They are not as strong, but they still burn great. Mulberry being the nicest and strongest scent for me. I am concerned about some of the reviews I read about problems burning the candles and I have to believe that they are careless people who weren't given the knowledge of how long and how to take care of wicks, etc.

My wife burned a candle in the bathroom all night for many nights and the smoke cause the ceiling to turn brown so I had to repaint it and my wife wanted to burn a candle in the bathroom again. She turned the ceiling brown again and I had to repaint it again. After a lot of arguing she finally stopped; however, the Partylite rep insists the brown ceiling is cause by "hard water and dust" and thinks I should have ducts cleaned. She can't believe in her head that the brown ceiling is cause by the candles she sells. All candles that have fire produce smoke and their reps should not tell people that they don't. That is misrepresenting the product which should be illegal.

I had a party at a show that I held in October 2012. My order came to $104.25. Never received my products from the consultant. Attended a party in November 2012, order items totaling $60. Never received these items. Yes, the cheque for the second order bounced for 1cent as she waited two weeks to cash it. However, I email money transferred her the money immediately when notified that the $60 did not clear. Never received either orders yet. Head office is not very helpful. Does not want to deal with the situation. I want my money back.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Blyth Industries?

I placed an order through a consultant named Viki ** of CA. First, the item didn't arrive because it was backordered, so I had to wait a month. When it arrived, the box was all broken. I sent it back to Viki for a refund, which I was supposed to get early in January 2013. I exchanged phone conversations and tons of emails with Viki and her recruiter, Kathy **, but five months after the original order, my refund never showed up. I keep getting excuses but no results. It's a blame game. The consultant blames the recruiter - the recruiter blames the company. In the end, the consumer ends up with no refund. It's a shame. I will never do business with PartyLite again.

I hosted a "starter show" thinking I could help bring some extra income into our house. I kept being told that I had to sell at least $350 to get my starter kit, sell $350, sell $350. I didn't meet the goal but had 2 people book shows for the following weekend, so my hostess rushed my kit to me. Needless to say, both of those shows cancelled on me and they both got the free booking gift at my show, which I'm getting an attitude about. I wasn't the one that gave it to them. My closing day rolls around and I was told "I will close you in 2 more days." That 2nd day comes and goes and I didn't hear anything. 9 days after my initial show, I finally got a call stating that not only did I not meet the "goal" for the starter kit (which I was aware of and was trying to collect some outside orders), but things are going to become really problematic with my kit already being received because I have to have at least $250 in sales to submit it as a show!

Never once was I told this. Both of the leaders kept concentrating on the fact that I had to sell at least the $350 to get my kit for free. Now to top everything off, both of the women told one of my guests that her card had cleared so she was under the assumption that it cleared (I wasn't aware of the process until now, I've never did a home business like this before) but since it hasn't and it has now been 12 days since my show, she has to cancel her order because they told her they took the money out of her account right then and there.

I'm not happy at all and wish I would have just had as how and never considered becoming a consultant! Looks like it is going to be even more problematic with my kit, because now I'm down even a lot more on sales with the cancelled order!

I also had candles go up in flames. I was having a Pampered Chef party and was using all my PartyLite candles when three pillars in sleeves decided to start a small fire. Thank goodness I was within eye sight of the flames. I am still cleaning wax off my walls and floor. The consultant said that there must have been a window or door open. The candles were not close enough to any door or window to create a draft. This is not the first time I had problems with the pillars. I have sconces in my dining room in which I have the small pillars and the wax overflowed onto the backside of the candle and created a crevice down the back, which allowed wax to drip down the wall onto my buffet and floor without being noticed until the end of the evening. I don't know if the product has been altered in any way, but it seems to have more and more problems as the years ago by. The only positive thing I can say is they sent me a gift certificate, but it was only for $50.00. It cost me a lot more than $50.00 to replace all the problem candles.

The only issue I have is the consultants. My neighbors and I have many parties and have not been able to find a reputable consultant. We have tried two and they both seem to have the same issues. They are not showing up for parties and they call at the last minute; we would have a booked party. There’s a lack of communication with hosts and guests. We will not be hosting any more parties. We can just go to Yankee Candle and spend our money there.

I used to be a PartyLite consultant but unfortunately my full time job took over. I loved PartyLite candles and never burned any other brand of candle until last week! As always, we had our aroma melt warmer burning and then there were a few cracking noises coming from the tea-light on the bottom, I looked at it and there were flames coming up around the glass that holds the aroma melt. Once we got the flames out, we noticed that the plastic tea-light casing had actually completely melted all around the sides. The only area still left was the bottom! This is the first time this has happened but I have not burnt another PartyLite candle since I am too scared if I walk out of the room for any length of time, the same might happen again. I have taken photographs and will gladly send them on to you.

I purchased your diamond pedestal candle holder and discovered that it has a crack on it. I only use Partylite votive candles in it. Please let me know if there is anything you can do about it, as I have been a customer for many years.

I placed an order on 12/30/11 for sale of votives & tea lights. I received confirmation of both orders, but no confirmation number on the Votive print out. Many emails between me and customer service. Last rep said to reorder as they have no record of my order (which I received email receipt on 12/30/11 at 3:12pm). A reorder would mean I do not get benefit of sale price, which is why I originally ordered.

We have been using PartyLite candles for many years. Last night we had a tea light burning in a puc holder. The tea light candle started on fire, causing the puc to boil over. My husband noticed the smoke and came running in to put it out. Has this happened before? Can it happen again? Are the other ones safe to burn? The puc holder glass has cracks in it.

This hostess took our money and then told us that the items were out of stock. She did not refund us the money, instead, she told us that we could have credits if we ordered more items. In this economy, no one can afford to buy candles at high prices. Now, she continues to send me horrible emails with the PartyLite's logo attached. She is an unstable person. I do not think that this person should represent a national company.

I held the party at my house in Oshawa. Aleah ** who was my manager asked me to cash a check for her; apparently she couldn’t use her own bank account. The check was for $432.00, and was returned to me NSF (No Sufficient Funds). I found out Aleah had numerous other complaints, and I placed my orders one time. PartyLite NEVER returned any of my calls, and sent me nasty emails screaming at me in bold letters. What is going on with this company? I will NEVER use PartyLite ever again.

I purchased a Christmas globe music box quite a few years ago, and when taking it out of of the original box packaging, the globe has turned yellow.

I went to a party and never received my products which I paid with a check for $64.22. I saw my check was cashed and now it's Dec. 15, 2010 and the party was Nov. 12, 2010. I wanted some of the candles I ordered for Thanksgiving and I have got nothing.

I have 2 snow globes that the water is messed up in both of them. 1 is really foggy, the other 1, the water turned yellow. The 1st 1 is #p9015, the 2nd 1 is #p8652. How can you fix this problem please?

I tried to order from a brand new catalog for Christmas items, paid tax and shipping charges on it only to be told "it’s not available." It’s false advertising and I was teased into buying other item to go with it!

Back in October 2009, I ordered from Kara ** around $95 worth of merchandise from PartyLite and have never received it. I emailed PartyLite and never heard from them. I want my merchandise or money back!

I want to know why the company charges me a $4.95 fee each month when I place my first order and the answer makes no sense. They say it's to cover materials and literature but I don't order any literature. Then they say it's to run the website but I pay $14.99 a month for my website. I am paying PartyLite and they are taking money out of my 25% commission and not explaining what it is used for. I would like something in writing.

I was scheduled to co-host a PartyLite candle party with my mom. A half hour before the party was to begin, I asked my mother why the company representative, Tommy **, had not yet arrived. She then called Mr. Tommy. He informed her that he was not coming. Evidently, he had sent her an email at 11am that morning, and because he did not receive a response, he no longer felt obligated to show up.

Frantically, my mother and I began calling the 30+ guests who had been invited. Several people were already on their way. Others showed up to be told that there was no party. Not to mention the $100 worth of food going to waste. So even though I do enjoy the PartyLite products, I will not ever do business with them again. The representative we dealt with still refused to admit that he ever did anything wrong. And despite several attempts to contact PartyLite customer service, I have gotten no response. This experience was both irritating and humiliating.

On October 17th, I gave a PartyLite party in Spokane, Washington. My consultant Dana ** told me that the products would be sent to me as I was the hostess. She, Dana, sent my orders to Spokane. That's when the problems started. I went to Spokane at Christmas. My order was not completed as she didn't send one customer's order. I got it on 12-24-2009. When I came home to Kent, I checked my order that I didn't receive. Two items were not there. I got two items that I only ordered one of. All I want is to either get the product or get my money back. I called the company twice and was on hold for 30 minutes each time. I would really like to get this settled as soon as possible. I have gotten a hold of Dana three times to get this settled. Quite frankly, I would like to settle this as my nerves are quite frayed on this issue.

I purchased Party Lite merchandise from Mrs. R at the beginning of June, the product was promised to me by June 15th. It is now mid October and I have not been able to contact her and I still do not have my merchandise (she requested cash)...can I say scam artist.

I called Nodya July 3rd to ask for a cash refund of the deposit I made on an order from my daughter's party. She agreed to send it. On the 28th I still had not recieved it so I wrote and told her I needed a response within 7 days or I would take the matter to Partylite. I received a nasty note back from her saying she already sent it and she would not do more. I then emailed Partylite and they contacted me by email 2 weeks later. They finally passed me back and forth and then told me that if I wanted my cash I would have to take Nodya to small claims court. I can not cash a check without fees and do not feel I need to or should pay $5.00 to cash a $20.00 check.

I just wanted to possibly help others out there who have had issues with consultants. I used to be a consultant and have decided to come back because I love the product and love to give parties and meet new people. I did have an issue with a consultant that did a catalog show for a friend of mine. We had not received our product for over a month and she kept avoiding our calls. Instead of calling PartyLite directly, I contacted my old sponsor and she suggested we contact her sponsor. We were able to do that and received our money back from the consultant within a week. If you go to the person who sponsored the consultant you are having issues with, you may have better results as the sponsors want you to be happy with your experience. Don't give up on PartyLite. I have tried about 4 other home-based businesses and this is by far the best.

I purchased at a PartyLite party-over $140.00 worth of candles and have yet to receive them. It has been over 1 month. The hostess of the party has had the merchandise, but because of personal problems, she has refused to give me what I have paid for. Then, I also was charged additional $70. So, the total I paid was $210.00 cash and have not received my candles. The hostess refuses to give me, and the party giver has also refused to help resolve this problem.

I've recently read on consumeraffairs.com a lot of negative comments about PartyLite. I've been purchasing PL products since 1999 and LOVE them! I was approached to become a Consultant also at that initial time. Being skeptical, I looked into the opportunity and signed up a 1-1/2 years later. Since then, I have become a Leader & Trainer. I would like to address some of the common complaints that I read. I also want to say that Consumer Affairs has not done their homework.

One comment from Consumer Affairs stated, "it's a multi-level-marketing scheme in which the money flows up and everything else flows downhill." They also defended customers against PartyLite when it was the Consultant who bore the responsibilities. PL Consultants OWN THEIR OWN BUSINESSES. We just happen to sell PL products. When you hire a plumber, you don't blame the company that makes the pipes when something goes wrong, do you?

As far as some of the most common complaints, here goes. 1.) If a customer orders product that never gets delivered, PartyLite will guarantee it 100% as long as they have a receipt, JUST LIKE ANY OTHER COMPANY. Sometimes people get screwed over by their hosts (friends). Don't blame PL for your stupidity of not getting a receipt. 2.) All Direct Sales businesses charge shipping & tax. Some companies sell their products to their Consultants and they, in turn, re-sell the items with the shipping charge added to the price. 3.) You get what you pay for. NO candle on the market compares to PL quality and the tests prove it. That's a fact and not an opinion. In other words, you get what you pay for. PL candles are made in the USA, last longer, burn at a lower temperature than any other candle to prevent accidental burns, are all natural, have fragrance and color throughout, and are lead-free. If a consumer wishes to buy foreign made candles and breathe in harmful chemicals and lead from their wicks, so be it!

I just don't know why people can't take 100% responsibility for their actions. If you buy something, get a receipt. If your friend starts PartyLite and asks you to buy product or host a party, don't blame the company. Don't even blame your friend. Blame yourself for not having a spine to say no. Or just be happy that you helped a friend in need.

Several of my friends went into the PartyLite business to make some extra money. Well of course, that meant I was soon attending parties. Let me just say some of their products are very nice, but very expensive! I could buy similar candles at Walmart for about 1/10 the price. However, I finally bought a wrought iron and wood wall sconce thing to help a friend out. I was kind of surprised at the cost (over $60!), but figured it would be of nice quality. Of course, the shipping charges on top made it even higher priced. It arrived and I was shocked to discover that the supposedly wooden part was actually plastic.

I was really upset. I don't put plastic things up on my walls. I didn't want my friend to lose out on her money so I donated it to Goodwill and considered it a charitable donation. I ended up at more parties and of course, you feel compelled to buy stuff, but that experience soured me. I bought some smaller candles and they smelled nice, but burnt down to nothing in no time. Again, the prices are way too high for what you get. Some of the bowls and stands are nice, but they are like $100! For what? A ceramic bowl? I can get that anywhere for less money. I had to finally stop going to these parties and two of my friends gave up on PartyLite, saying that they got no support and were having problems with defective merchandise. Overall, I think this is a bad company to deal with.

I was a consultant for 4yrs with partylite then the day before my big vendor show (70 tickets, guest purchased)I tried to log into my account to print specials, only to find , Iam not an authorized user. I called partylite the next morn. talked to 6 different people left 3 messages and still no return calls. I finally got a hold of the supervisor Jen whom was rude and not helpful at all. (supervisors are suppose to solve the problem not create. she new nothing!)

They terminated me as a consultant for supposively selling on ebay which I never received a letter or notification prior to this. Not even a warning. I found out that another consultant whom does sell on ebay and was turned in twice for doing so had only a warning while they shut me out immed without anything.. She made them too much money as the customer service man stated..I was inactive for 4 months due to taking care of my 5 children and a new baby.

Partylite runs a very poor business. treats their consultants like dirt, and has their consultants do their dirty work for them when it comes to customer satisfaction. They claim they back their products 100%. Well they don't , I have customers still waiting for replacements after two years , and Iam the one who has to take the brunt of it all. Its a total pyramid, and have no sympathy nor respect for their consultants, consultants guest, etc. Money talks in this case.I will never purchase another thing from them and will always speak negative about their product and the way they run a business.

As a result of me not being contacted, warned or explained to. I lost money I put down for a table at a vendor show. Lost potential new hostess, Have to cancel two more up coming holiday vendor shows, Right at christmas which I use this money for my childrens xmas gifts. as it is rough with one income and five children >Iam a stay at home mom just looking to make a couple of extra $$ to make ends meet.

I had a party and if you look this up you see that I have called and complained and no one from the corporate office called me back in a couple days like they said. The consultant that did the party took our orders and money and we did not receive our products correctly. She shipped them to someone else no to me, I was the one who had the party. Not everyone that came to the party received what they got. So I called the corporate office and she complained and Trina owes me $30.00 for an order that I did pay by check an I have a copy of, and they discontinued the item, but never gave me the money back nor did I receive my gift certificate. Trina kept blowing me off and ignored my phone calls and finally called me back about a month later and gave me a receipt # to get my candles. I will never do another party again. You cannot hire people like this especially the way the economy is today. Please call me so I can finish this mess up with someone

PartyLite/Blyth Industries Company Profile