Martha Stewart Living

Compare Publications

Research top Publications recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Increased Rating!

The missing issue showed up in today's mail, along with confirmation of my account renewal. As I've received what I paid for, the matter is now closed.

Cheri of Strasburg, CO on

Original Review

I renewed my print magazine subscription in late May and have the charge on my bank statement that proves they took my yearly subscription fee in payment. Unfortunately, my July/August never arrived. Normally, an issue will show up around the 10th of the prior month (or in December for the Jan/Feb issue and June for the July/Aug issue). Because of the renewal timing, I expected a delay on the July/August issue, but the 1st of July came and went and nothing arrived. So I went to the Martha Stewart Living website and tried to contact someone there via email to see if there was a problem with my renewal, or if there had been an oversight and to ask for them to send a replacement issue.

There is a process that purports to handle damaged or missing print issues, but when I tried to use it, all I received was a message saying 'there's a problem with the system - it's down. Please be patient.' This was two weeks ago and the message hasn't changed. I know that the founder sold off some parts of her business to other entities, but things have really gone downhill if her print subscribers can't get the magazines for which we've already paid. If this continues, I'm going to have to call my bank and cancel my subscription, since I haven't received what I purchased. Maybe they're trying to get out of print altogether and want to steer people towards a digital subscription. Note to Martha: not all of us have tablets.

I started receiving M S Living Mag w/o ordering it. I contacted customer service to cancel & their response was the order was placed by M2 MEDIA GROUP - it was up to me to contact them. It's on Google this is a scam co & if you don't pay you are sent to collections.

We purchased a Martha Stewart Christmas tree in 2013. It was a beautiful tree, and the first year everything worked fine. The second year there were two or three sections that would not light. This year, the third year, about half of the lights do not work. Very disappointed with the lights on the tree.

I purchased a Martha Stewart Glass top square table a couple years ago at Home Depot. It has been on my screened in porch since then. The porch is covered and protected. On Sunday there was a loud noise, sounded like a shot gun blast. It was the table top. Thank God we were not having dinner at the time, or my young grandchildren were not on the porch. I cannot believe this has been a problem since 2005 and NO ONE has done anything about it. I called the website number and told two different people the whole story and after waiting some time, I was told that there was a third person on the line that would help me, and was promptly disconnected. Now this old retired lady is out a lot of cash. Thank you Home Depot and Martha Stewart.

Well I'm writing about the Martha Stewart living book I'm delivered. I cannot believe her books now. She puts very little in her book because she wants you to buy the special books and spend more money to have a book that has something you can actually learn from. I'm so sick of these books I'm getting. I do not want to put out more money for her books. I think Martha Stewart is very greedy and finds ways to make more money by putting very little in the books you get. I will not be ordering this again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Martha Stewart Living?

Faux silk plaid panel - I purchased 3 of these panels thinking there were two panels in each package! Cover shows there is and of course in a hurry, I just grabbed them and when I got home, opened them up and there was only one. Then I saw yes, it said only one on the side. Paid $24.97 for EACH one! What a RIP-OFF!!!!!!!! Will be taking them back immediately! I will also warn others. Maybe they will sit there long enough and get marked down to $4.97. That I would pay. They aren't even made that great! Very, VERY disappointed!

I purchased this set the summer of 2012. The next summer I had to replace the cushions due to them ripping at the top and fading even after storing them during the winter. I was sitting inside on my sofa with the French doors open. I heard a loud sound and when I went outside to investigate I found my table top had shattered into a million pieces. The lazy Susan part was still intact. I am very upset due to the price I paid for this set and the quality of the product. I thought I would look up a replacement glass; however, after researching, I learned that this is a common theme for many other people who bought this table.

On 2/28/12, I sent check #** for $12 and on 3/30/12, I sent check # ** for $14.95 to subscribe to 2 years of Whole Living Magazine. I received the last copy in December of 2012. I called the phone number listed in the magazine and was told that Whole Living is no longer being published and I would receive another magazine in place of Whole Living. I asked which magazine I would receive and was told that it had not yet been determined. I was sent the May 2013 issue of Family Circle in April 2013 along with a bill for $5.99. I was not given a choice of magazines, my original paid for subscription was not due to expire until May 2014 and I do not find Family Circle to be comparable to Whole Living, a magazine that promoted a healthier, sustainable, and balanced life, striving for total wellness for mind, body, and soul.

I would like a refund or the opportunity to choose a comparable magazine for the duration of my subscription. I did not receive any magazine for January, February, March, or April of 2013 so I should be compensated for those months as well. I do respect the Martha Stewart Corporation and find it hard to believe that she and her administrators would allow customers to be treated this way.

December 2011 my spouse and I paid for a 1 year gift subscription of Martha Stewart Living Magazine for my mother for Christmas. In November 2012, 1 month before her 1 year subscription was about to come to an end, we began receiving cards in the mail asking if we would like to renew her gift subscription. We opted not to and sent the appropriate cancellation notice back to them in the postage paid envelop provided. Next month, same thing. Then in January, they sent us an invoice. I called the 1-800 number listed on the back of the invoice and went through the steps to cancel via phone. Nearly 3 weeks later, we received another invoice that contained this rude little quote, "...I'm sure it's just an oversight on your part. That's why I'm sending you this reminder, along with a duplicate invoice for the amount due."

By this point, we are very angry and are feeling harassed by the company. I called the 1-800 number again and attempted to cancel, but "they can't access the account at this time." After a lengthy time on hold, I finally got through to a live person who claims that they only received my January phone cancellation and the second invoice must have already been sent before they processed my cancellation (despite the fact they were 3 weeks apart). They also denied receiving any of our mail in cancellations. I feel this is just an aggressive marketing tactic to try and strong-arm consumers into renewing a membership.

The wording of the invoices is also confusing and I worry especially for the elderly that they may be tricked into renewing because they think they owe the company money that they in fact don't. I will never be gifting anyone a subscription to this magazine again nor will I ever purchase it myself after this experience.

After receiving Martha Stewart Living magazine for over 10 years, my subscription suddenly stopped. I complained to my post office, thinking of mis-delivery after 6 months of not receiving the magazine. I called the company and was told my subscription ended in February 2012, even though I have back issues for nearly 2 years that clearly state my subscription goes through January 2013. The person that answered the phone, not from customer service apparently, told me I have to prove I paid through January 2013. How am I supposed to do that? I have my checks for 2 years ago that show I paid Martha Stewart Living magazine for a subscription, but the subscription dates are not on those! She already called me a liar about the labels on my magazines. Now, am I supposed to let her call me a liar about those subscription dates? Humiliating!

I have a large patio table from Martha Stewart Living purchased at the Home Depot last fall. This morning the large glass table top spontaneously exploded, sending shards of glass flying 20' in all directions. There is glass in my HVAC outdoor fan unit. The flying shards etched the glass of my sliding patio door. The grass is littered with glass shards and there is glass lodged between all the deck boards. Had either of my children been anywhere near that table, the injuries would've been severe. I feel that Martha Stewart and the company producing these products should be liable for the damage and subsequent replacement cost. I will be looking for a local glass company to provide me with a safe replacement.

The first time I accepted the offer of one year of Martha Stewart Living with a year of Good Food included free, they never sent Good Food. When I called about it, they acted as if they never heard of the offer and I had to fax a copy of it. The second time I accepted this offer, both magazines arrived on time, but I soon started getting bills. I had mailed the $19.95 payment with the order. If they received the order, they received the check. What they did with it, who knows.

They kept sending bills and asked for a copy of the check. How can I send a copy if they lost it instead of cashing it? It has never run through the bank and still has to be dealt with when I reconcile my statement each month. I will not pay $25.00 to stop payment on a check for $19.95, and I won't let them have two checks at once. So basically, I have paid that much money for just a few of the magazines promised. They must have the world's most inefficient subscription offices! I can't be bothered with them anymore no matter what they offer.

I bought a Martha Stewart six-piece dining set for our patio along with the four-piece seating set a few years ago. Two of the cushions came apart and the other day, I looked out the window to see my table all over the deck as the glass was completely shattered! Very disappointing after all the dollars I paid.

After subscribing to Martha Stewart Living magazine for 10 years, perfume strips started to appear this past spring. As I have asthma, and the whole magazine reeked, even through its plastic wrapper, I requested that my magazines be sent without these inserts.

Someone at the magazine contacted me by email, saying they have no plans to provide the magazine without perfume strips, and gave me the address to cancel my subscription, which I did. Is there anything more I could have done as I really enjoyed the magazine? Don't want a lawyer, just help in knowing if I can do more.

Martha Stewart Living Company Profile