MediPendant

Compare Medical Alert Systems

Research top Medical Alert Systems recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have used the talking MediPendant for about 2 years now. It took some real adjustment and time to get used to its larger size and weight compared to a regular alert. But, the slight inconvenience was significantly outweighed by having my life saved several times using it. My house is an "L" design. Using the standard alert pendant time after time when I needed urgent assistance by a neighbor or friend I would push the button and the dispatcher couldn't hear me from the one base station, and would call 911.

This alert has almost maybe a half block of range outside even though they say two football fields of coverage from the base. It works anywhere inside or outside around my house. If I'm in the master bedroom or farther in the bedroom's bathroom with the door closed, they can still talk with me. It is water-resistant and I hang it at shower in case of a fall. I find the pendant is a little heavy and clunky around my neck so I wear it attached to my underwear facing out. This way I always can push the button through my pants but no one knows I'm wearing it. Each time I have spoke with their EMT operators, they were friendly and knowledgeable. I have changed the battery once over approximately two years since I have had the unit. I don't know what is average.

Expert Review

Shelley WebbSenior Products Contributing Editor

Shelley Webb is a registered nurse, geriatric care manager and freelance writer who concentrates on the subjects of eldercare and health.    More about Shelley→

With three years of awards for best customer service and a commitment to using only the most up-to-date equipment, MediPendant has one of the most versatile systems on the market.

• There are no long-term contracts or cancellation fees: MediPendant doesn’t make customers sign a contract and they don’t penalize those who no longer need their services.
  • There are three payment options: They offer three payment plans to fit any budget and all include free equipment and 24/7 EMT-certified operators.
  • They offer an AARP discount: AARP members can receive a 10 percent discount on all MediPendant plans.
  • There are no home phone lines required: MediPendant offers a ‘no phone line’ adapter that allows customers without a home phone to use their service. MediPendant will also work with alternative phone services like Vonage and AT&T’s U-Verse.
  • Best for Seniors living alone, persons who have recently retired, persons with newly diagnosed or severe epilepsy, persons with uncontrolled diabetes and caregivers.

Question and Answers - MediPendant

How has MediPendant grown as a company?

We were a "startup" company with a vision and an idea. We created our MediPendant to help others and to offer the best product in our market. We have done just that, and we are now focusing our efforts on creating more products for our customers and with more competitive pricing.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about MediPendant?

We are VERY pro-active in our market. We are coming out with a new mobile unit within the next 60 days and are excited to be able to help the more mobile medical alert system users, and even people with other issues, or even children that are home alone.

What’s the most common misconception consumers have about the medical alert systems industry? About MediPendant?

Without question, there has ALWAYS been a misconception in our "space." Because of misleading TV commercials, people always thought they could speak and listen DIRECTLY through their little emergency buttons. But they couldn't!! Ours is the only one they can speak through!

What sets MediPendant apart from the competition?

A medical alert systems has 2 main parts, a base station (plugged into the wall for power and phone service), and a pendant (the emergency button the user wears). With the typical system you can only speak and listen through the base station, so if you are not in the same room (or even outside) you can not have a 2-way voice conversation with the emt dispatcher. With our MediPendant you speak and listen DIRECTLY through the Pendant. Our voice patented voice prompts keep the user informed of the status of the emergency call, and the user can tell the emt where they are in or around their home (outside, basement etc) and their symptoms.

What problem is MediPendant trying to solve?

We are trying to help elderly people stay and live comfortably and independently in their own homes and not be sent to assisted living or elsewhere. By being able to dispatch help and alert first responders and emergency people in the event of a crisis, we are also providing peace of mind to their caregivers, friends, and loved ones.

What needs does your product or service fulfill, and how do you fulfill those needs better than your competition?

By being able to speak and listen DIRECTLY through the pendant, the user can state exactly what problems they are having. This cuts down on unnecessary emergency dispatches. Also when help arrives the first responders already know where to find the user, the symptoms he (she) is experiencing, and are ready to treat that person immediately.

How has the medical alert system industry changed in the last 5 to 10 years?

In the last 10 years we have been innovators in creating the MediPendant which allows the user to speak and listen DIRECTLY through the pendant they are wearing.

In the last 5 years, people have begun using "mobile" medical alert systems. While there are inherent problems with them (not waterproof, only works in areas where there is cell service, GPS is not always accurate, and they need to be charged daily), they are attracting the more mobile elderly person or any person with medical issues.

What is something you wish every consumer knew about MediPendant?

How does MediPendant measure success?

Our company measures success by all the people that call us and thank us for the service we provide. We are very customer service oriented, we encourage our customers to test their systems often, and we are always there for them. We even give our cell #'s to almost all our customers just in case they need assistance with the MediPendant and they want to speak with the person they first felt comfortable with when initially ordered the unit.

Compare Medical Alert Systems