Get Pricing

2. Medical Alert Systems

4.2/5 (934 ratings)
Get Pricing

About Medical Guardian

Medical Guardian offers medical alert devices and monitoring services. You can choose from a range of devices for at-home and on-the-go use. Its products include mobile devices, home-based systems and a medical alert smartwatch. Medical Guardian offers fall detection as an add-on for every system it sells except the Freedom 2.0 smartwatch, which hasn’t been released at the time of publishing.

Pros

• Month-to-month contracts available
    • Transparent pricing
    • Fall detection available
    • Companion app

Cons

• Upfront fees on some packages
    • No free trial period

Bottom Line

Medical Guardian systems connect to a monitoring center that can send help 24/7. You can get a price break if you opt into an annual billing cycle, but upfront fees are required for some products, such as the Mini Guardian.

Top Medical Guardian Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

The device worked very well for my mother. … It allowed her to stay independent much longer because if she fell help would be on the way immediately. They always called me at home...

Verified

I'm 82 years old, living alone and I have issues as well as a pacemaker. ... I have their device around my neck and by the bed. During the day, I have my Medical Guardian watch on...

Medical Guardian alert systems

What is Medical Guardian?

Medical Guardian is a medical alert company focused on products that benefit older adults who spend most of their time alone. The base unit and/or wearable device are included as part of each medical alert system plan, with additional equipment available.

Medical Guardian offers six different service packages, including all-in-one wearable and in-home systems with fall detection and two-way speakers. In-home alert devices have ranges up to 1,400 feet. On-the-go devices have a maximum battery life of seven days, depending on the device.

How does Medical Guardian work?

Medical Guardian alert systems are designed for at-home or on-the-go use. With either type of system, when you press the medical alert button, you are connected to a 24/7 medical monitoring center.

If Medical Guardian cannot confirm your safety after the alert system is activated, the operators quickly dispatch emergency medical services to your exact location.

The monitoring center does not hold information on your medical history, but it does have access to any notes you have chosen to share in your profile and can get you the help you need, whether it’s sending an ambulance for crisis care or contacting people you know for help in a nonemergency situation.

Medical Guardian monitoring centers are FM-approved and UL-listed, which means its emergency dispatch services meet specific safety and reliability standards. Medical Guardian monitoring centers also hold TMA Five Diamond certifications for operator training and ESA certifications for providing excellent emergency services.

Medical Guardian costs

Medical Guardian equipment fees are generally required for packages where you buy the equipment, but packages with leased equipment don’t have these initial fees. When available, the fall detection upgrade adds $10 a month to the monitoring fee.

Plan typeEquipment costMonthly feeOptional fall detection
    Classic GuardianLease$0$29.95
    Equipment cost$0$99.95$124.95$0$124.95Unavailable
    Monthly fee$29.95$34.95$39.95$44.95$39.95Unavailable
    Optional fall detection

Medical Guardian devices

In addition to extra services like fall detection, Medical Guardian plans can come with multiple accessory devices. These devices may be included as part of your package or for an additional monthly fee.

• Neck pendants: Water-resistant medical alert pendants include adjustable lanyards and have ranges between 600 and 1,300 feet, depending on which system you choose.
    • Wrist buttons: Similar to a watch, these water-resistant help buttons can be worn around your wrist.
    • Wireless wall buttons: Mounted wall buttons can be strategically placed throughout high-risk areas in your home. Wall buttons have a range of coverage up to 500 feet and wirelessly connect to a Medical Guardian monitoring center. Voice-activated wall buttons are also available.
    • Lockboxes: With a lockbox, emergency responders can gain access to your home without causing any damage to doorways. Lockboxes come free with annual subscription plans and can be added to any plan for an additional charge.

Medical Guardian FAQ

Is Medical Guardian covered by Medicare?
    Original Medicare does not cover medical alert devices, but some Medicare Advantage plans (Medicare Part C) will partially reimburse you for your medical alert system costs.
    No, you do not have to sign any contracts to get a Medical Guardian medical alert system. The company offers monthly, quarterly and annual payment plans.
    You can call to cancel at any time, but Medical Guardian’s return policy states that any leased equipment must be returned to the company for the cancellation to take effect. Any remaining time left in the service plan period is refunded. Restocking fees may apply.
    Medical Guardian’s monitoring center is 100% U.S.-based, but the company doesn’t disclose a more specific location. Its services are available in all 50 states, though.
    Only the Classic Guardian package requires a landline. All other Medical Guardian plans can run on a cellular network.
    Yes, Medical Guardian provides a warranty against wear and tear. It also offers a Protection Plan that covers any costs related to a lost, stolen or damaged device. This optional plan can be purchased when you buy the system.

Is Medical Guardian worth it?

Medical Guardian alert systems can be a smart option for anyone with a critical medical condition or people who are at risk of falling or in recovery from a significant health event. Compare its products and services with those from other medical alert companies to make sure you’re getting the right system for your or your loved one’s needs.

Medical Guardian Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Guardian?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

When they updated from G4 to G5 they changed out the machines and the wrist bands. The new wrist bands have no metal clasp. The have a plastic push nubbins. The don't stay on. My mom hates it. She called and they said they would send old bracelet. She got new ones again. Then I called and ask her to be switched back to 4G with the better bracelet. I was told it would ship next day. She got it and it the SAME one she already has. These are elderly people. Customer service is terrible. We are switching companies. Her neighbor is having the same issue. Shame on Medical Guardian for sending non senior citizen bracelets.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

I buy few medicine and they give me on-time delivery. This is really good. they also reply me instantly. I think they are very responsive about the time. Overall, the experience is good and I would recommended everyone. Thanks.

Original review: April 1, 2021

The device worked very well for my mother the choice of a necklace or a wrist band was very nice to have. It allowed her to stay independent much longer because if she fell help would be on the way immediately. They always called me at home to notify me that her device had been activated. Peace of mind... priceless.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2021

I was very excited about the Freedom Guardian Watch because it was everything I needed for my mother. I read the reviews and did my research then placed my order. This arrived in about 5 days and I was quick to charge it for the night so I could set it up in the morning. I woke up, made my coffee and called the company to activate it. Now, I live in the suburb of a large city and getting a phone signal is not a problem. This was a problem for the watch so the Tech asked if I could try standing outside to see if this would help. It seems that a metal roof or siding will block the signal (I have neither). Well, there is freezing rain and sub zero but I took one for the team and went outside (really the doorway and held the watch out further) this changed nothing. The watch would not connect to the signal of AT&T.

I was able to test the system and talk to the operator when I pushed the help button. The Tech suggested I power it off and try setting it up at my mother's home. Upon arriving to my mother's I called the Tech back and powered up the watch. Now there is NO signal. The person I was talking to was very nice and easy to work with. She told me the watch is only 3G and lots of areas are weeding this out for the faster 4 and 5G. There is also a "VERY small antenna in the watch that limits its range." Her words. She then told me I was by a lake and around a lot of trees which can also block the signal - really! Well the GPS is working. I asked if they were upgrading this watch and this was a no. I think this could be a great product if they pick a better phone carries and stronger antenna. I'm so sad but I am returning this product. I feel the technology already exists - Guardian please team up with Apple watch and make this work for our seniors.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2020

My mother has the MiniGuardian, and recently fell (first incident with the unit). The system did in fact summon an ambulance crew (my mother pressed the button). But the crew could not get into the house for 15 minutes -- until I noticed flashing red lights from the window and opened the front door (I was actually home, but was pre-occupied in a different part of the house). What about the lockbox code? The crew was told by the dispatcher there was no such code. But after the incident, I called customer service and inquired about the lockbox code and the rep immediately told it to me! But the dispatcher (called the next day by pressing the button on the device) stated there was no lockbox code.

What about calling emergency contacts? None were called (including myself who is first in the list to be called). The customer service rep said that there were none in the system and that's why no one was called. I told him to pull up the scanned signed doc of the system agreement which he did, and he admitted that yes there were four emergency contacts listed. He could not explain why the info was not in the system. To summarize: The system -- when needed -- only came through for summoning the ambulance, but failed on providing lockbox code, and failed on calling emergency contacts.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2020

The Medical Guardian equipment was bulky and heavy, and my mom didn't like it; we tried two different products, so we gave it all a shot. I received confirmation that the returned equipment was received on 8/6/2020 and was told to allow a ridiculous 30 days for a refund. I went along, but when I hadn't received a refund my next credit card bill, I called on 9/21/20. Still no refund on 9/24, so I submitted a dispute via my credit card company. On 10/11/2020 the credit card company reversed its refund and told me the dispute was still in play.

On 10/21/2020, I called and talked with Barbara who told me that Medical Guardian hadn't been able to refund my money because of the refund dispute, even though the transaction had been reversed TEN DAYS prior. She said I would be credited within 72 hours. What malarkey. I told her that if the refund weren't posted in that time, I would go ahead and work through my state's district attorney. She said, "OK" without any apology for this poor service.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

I order the home medical alert system for my mother end of 2019. I was told when I purchased the system and paid for a year of services that I had 30 days to try the product, and would receive a full refund if I was not satisfied. I made sure the warranty was for 30 days because this was a Christmas gift, and I knew my mother would be leaving for 2 weeks the day after Christmas, so it would be at least 2 weeks before she could try it out. I asked extensive questions about the warranty and return policy, and because of the answers I received I was comfortable paying for a year of services. That was a mistake.

The additional call boxes were not synced with the base unit, nor could I get them to sync. We had issues getting the base unit to work with the cable based phone system, which I was assured would not be problem when I placed the order. When we called to get assistance the call center was either closed (not open on Sundays, but the website said it was when I was researching), too busy to help at that point in time, or the person was completely incompetent and couldn't help at all. We called 4 or 5 times trying to get this system to work.

I decided to return the system, so I packed everything up and paid out of my own pocket for the return shipping and insurance. When I finally received my refund about 6 weeks later, it was $50 short. I called to find out why, and was told the warranty was only 15 days therefore I was being charged for shipping and the 1st month of services. What it comes down to is this company charged me $50 for nothing but lies, deceit, and frustration.

I was going to file a complaint with my State Attorney General's office, but once the pandemic hit I felt there were bigger problems in the world. If this is how they are treating me, I have serious concerns about they are treating the disabled and elderly consumers this service is designed for. I spent hours online doing research on different companies and felt this was the best service for the price. Remember, you get what you pay for, and Medical Guardian will rip you off. Take your business elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2020

I can't get up when I fall. I now have Medical Guardian's device that goes around my neck. It goes when I go. I haven't had to use it, but so far it's easy to handle. The Medical Guardian team has been very cooperative and very easy to deal with.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I'm 82 years old, living alone and I have issues as well as a pacemaker. I wanted to make sure I was covered and so I got a medical alert. I got a Medical Guardian and put a lockbox outside my house in case the fire department has to come in. Medical Guardian would notify them so at nights, I have their device around my neck and by the bed. During the day, I have my Medical Guardian watch on. Having it makes me feel secure and safe.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

I had a ministroke and I would pass out and lose my balance. I live out in the country in Marion, Arkansas where phone service is not doing well. I got myself a cell phone that has a button that I push when I have an emergency. When I had a ministroke, I used the dial and somebody came by and helped me out. The ambulance came and took me to the hospital. When I got out, one of my children said something about getting me a push button. Now I have a device on my neck from Medical Guardian. The button is there for me when I need it. I also have a button in each room.

Medical Guardian Company Information