4.4/5 (1601 ratings)

About Medical Alert

Medical Alert by Connect America offers medical alert devices for at-home and on-the-go use. Systems come with 24-hour monitoring and provide access to emergency response personnel at the push of a button. Medical Alert has multiple products, including a fall detection pendant and a caregiver app. The company is a member of the Medical Alert Monitoring Association (MAMA).

Pros

• Multilingual operators
  • GPS and fall detection technology
  • 30-day money-back guarantee
  • No long-term contract required

Cons

• Additional costs for extra services
  • Large mobile device

Bottom Line

Medical Alert has several system options. Just know that costs increase as services are added. Month-to-month service is available, but you can get a discount by enrolling in an annual or semiannual payment plan.

Top Medical Alert Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Verified

So far, I’m enjoying my device. It’s nice to know that someone's there at all times with you. Even though I know that nobody is here, Medical Alert is still here… Somebody calls e...

Verified

Medical Alert has been great and I can be more independent now that I do have this. Otherwise, I wouldn't be living alone… Once in a while, the device goes off by accident. I just...

Medical Alert systems

What is Medical Alert?

Medical Alert is a professional emergency response monitoring company. Its systems come with a wearable lanyard or wristband that connects to a monitoring center. You can set up your monitoring system through a landline or cellular connection, depending on the device you choose.

About Medical Alert’s monitoring center

Medical Alert’s U.S.-based monitoring centers are staffed by operators who are trained to quickly answer calls. Operators are on staff 24/7, including holidays. Translation services are available in 140 languages to help ensure callers are understood when they need help.

Once connected, operators determine the best course of action, whether that’s dispatching emergency services or calling an approved emergency contact.

Medical Alert caregiver tools

With the Medical Alert Connect mobile app, it's easy for family members, caregivers, neighbors or close friends to keep in touch and monitor the device wearer’s safety.

The app lets any caregiver check your system status and contact list. This lets caregivers be proactive in learning how the wearer is doing, and the entire group can stay in touch and notify one another if help is needed.

Once your account is set up, it automatically updates whenever the company's support team changes your information.

Medical Alert cost

Medical Alert systems start around $20 to $40 per month, and there are no upfront equipment costs. You can save money by enrolling in an annual or semiannual payment plan. Annual plans also include perks like free shipping, a lockbox and a free month of service.

Home LandlineHome CellularMobile
Month-to-month cost*$22.95$32.95$42.95
Monthly cost with annual or semiannual plan*$19.95$29.95$39.95
Optional fall detection*$10 per month$10 per month$10 per month

*At the time of publishing

Medical Alert FAQ

How do Medical Alert emergency response systems work?
Medical Alert systems connect you with a response coordinator at its monitoring center during a crisis. When the help button is pushed, an operator will answer and establish communication. Then, they summon help by contacting a family member, caregiver or first responder for you, depending on the situation.
Does Medicare cover Medical Alert?
Original Medicare does not typically cover Medical Alert systems or any similar emergency devices. On the other hand, Medicare Advantage plans (Part C) may cover them.
Do I have to sign a contract to get a Medical Alert system?
You’ll need to sign a month-to-month monitoring agreement to comply with privacy laws, but no long-term commitment is required. Paying on a longer-term basis can save you money, though.
Are Medical Alert systems waterproof?
Medical Alert’s help buttons are waterproof, so you can continue wearing your pendant or wristband in the shower or the bath. However, your base unit may not be waterproof.
Does Medical Alert offer a warranty on medical alert devices?
You can add a protection plan for $1 per month. The plan covers one replacement of your main system and up to two buttons if your original ones are lost or damaged during any 12-month period.
Does Medical Alert offer a trial period?
Yes, Medical Alert offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. You can return your equipment and cancel your service for a full refund within that time.

Is Medical Alert worth it?

Medical Alert can help you or a loved one stay safe with a wide range of products. It only takes one button to notify emergency response or family members for assistance, so older adults or individuals with medical issues can continue living independently with the help of mobile and home Medical Alert systems. Plus, Medical Alert’s emergency buttons are lightweight and waterproof, letting users comfortably wear them in the shower.

Medical Alert Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Medical Alert?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2022

I was sitting in the kitchen, paying a bill, and I started to write a number on the check. I knew in my head what I needed to write, but my hand wouldn't function. I tried to call somebody. I could just push buttons and it would keep coming back, didn’t call and go through. I remembered that I just got out of the shower shortly before, and where I put that device on the desk drawers. I tried to get up, I could get up and I got to it, pushed the button. I could hear people talking and it was my neighbor talking to Medical Alert's people. They got an ambulance.

I got to the hospital overnight and they boiled the cause down to a stroke. But I could talk. I could use a phone. But I was helpless and in a complete panic, because I knew something was wrong. I knew I couldn't do anything to reach anybody. And I just happened to know right where to put my hand on it. So from then on, I put the device somewhere I can reach it from the shower. For that one particular time that I had to use it, it was wonderful, because I sat here helpless. One time can make a believer out of you. Also, I got my next door neighbor and he has a key. When he opened my back door, he looked like he was going to pass out. It gave him a scare. Because I heard an operator with Medical Alert asking if we needed an ambulance. And his answer was yes.

Get buying tips about Medical Alert Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 14, 2022

I've had the whole unit for 12 years, and Medical Alert's customer service has been all right. A couple weeks ago, I mashed my emergency button by mistake, and I had to let them know that it was not an emergency. The people in the office are very friendly and take care of situations if I have any. Everything is right on top, and everybody reports in on time. They were here on time in case I didn't get the alert.

I just got a new fall pendant, and it's very sensitive. When they sent this to me, they did not tell me exactly what to do about it and that's something that needs to be improved. When I took it off and went to bed at night, the alarm went off on its own. They came out here to see me, and I didn't even touch it. It went off two times with me until I finally called in and questioned them about it on the phone. A young lady told me, “Well, you have to put it on something soft.” That's a very important issue, especially when you're 92 years old, and they don't tell you that in the paperwork. They just said, “Put it on your nightstand.” Medical Alert is wonderful, but they should send paperwork that tell you to put your pendant on a soft surface when you take it off, especially when it's for the fall.

Original review: July 1, 2022

I hate all these chains around my neck but somebody said I could get the device for my wrist. I said that wouldn't work out with my small dog because he sits on my lap all the time. I’ve set off the button a couple of times and I told the response team that it was a mistake. I asked them if they could do my monthly check because of that call. They were nice. I've already recommended Medical Alert to a friend who is a lot younger than I am and she lives alone. But she hasn't made any response and doing anything. But it's okay.

I talked to somebody in the billing department because I don't like the way they're doing the service. I added the fall buttons and they added another $5.25 charge and I don't know what that was for. But it comes every month and it comes off my checking account. I don't know when that's coming and my whole checking account is screwed up. I get my statement, and then it'll show that I've had it. But by then, I've written out five more checks. So, I asked them to just send me a bill, and I'll write a check out and pay it. They said they would. I'm very satisfied with Medical Alert. My daughter is coming in the beginning of August and I’m gonna talk to her about it.

Original review: March 12, 2022

I'm very pleased with my Medical Alert device. The only thing is I tend to like to dress up and with the necklace, I have a black string hanging down when I might be wearing pearls or some very pretty necklace. I would prefer to be on my wrist or for it to be a pin it somewhere else. Another thing is if I wear it in the bra, it’s uncomfortable and I actually did get a pain in my breast. The device rubs my skin and it hurts me as there is a little rough edge there.

Other than that, I have no problem with the device itself. The fall feature is good. Outside, it works. I can take the device with me. If I go to Florida, I just call and take it with me. They change some information. Everybody's fine and they answer nicely. My Medical Alert works. I used to charge it differently, like when I watch television during the day. But they said I should do it at night. I have to go to the bathroom about three times so I put it on, bring it back, and stick it back on the charger. It works fine. The device charges in a couple of hours. It's simple too because the red button's soft, so that’s easy enough.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

I was prone to falling and every time I fell, I was always away from the pull cart. I had to crawl to the cart to pull it and get to my phone so, I thought I better get a Medical Alert so I can have it around me. I used the button once in an emergency and having it was a blessing. I had it around my neck and I could touch it and talk to somebody. The reps came and I didn’t have to crawl to my cell phone, which I usually use to call. I can’t wear the button on my neck because I had surgery and braced my neck. The button is on my arm and I like it on my wrist because I can take it anywhere. I go out and walk down the hall and I know it's there. But I try not to fall.

When I call in, the reps are very courteous. I say that I’m just checking and they’ll ask if I’m alright and to call if I need anything. One time, I got stuck in a chair and I had to call Medical Alert. They had to come and get me off the chair. I liked the service and the people. They were very kind and helpful. I don't want to get off of Medical Alert but that's $62 a month and I'm getting older. So I wanna know if there is any way I can do for a price down.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

My Medical Alert device has gone off, and their response team was excellent.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

So far, I haven't had any problems with my Medical Alert device. I just gotta be very careful because it goes off so easily. Overall, I'm satisfied with it.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

Medical Alert's pricing is better than the other company that advertises on television. I wear the device half the amount of time that I'm awake. I assume that it works. That's the important part. When I test it, they're fast.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2023

Elderly father fell and went unconscious. No alert was sent and no one responded yet this company upsold him for their ability to detect a fall or if he was unconscious (how is sleeping different I wonder...)! We cancelled and was told there would be no more charges, of course there was. Don't recommend.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2022

I don't like wearing the necklace but I know I'd need it if I was down. I've used it once and the response time was good. The only thing I have problems with is trying to remember to call them once a month. It would be better if they call me because I forget.

Medical Alert Company Information