2. Medical Alert Systems

4.6/5 (638 ratings)
Find a Medical Alert Systems partner

Find Medical Alert Systems partners near you

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner

Compare Brands

About BlueStar SeniorTech

BlueStar SeniorTech is a veteran-owned company that offers telehealth services and technology for seniors. Available devices include monitored alert systems, fall detection, memory aids, medication tools and more. There are no contracts or trial periods, and some equipment may require an upfront cost for purchase. BlueStar SeniorTech sells third-party solutions in some cases, so you may be directed to another site to find what you're looking for.

Find Medical Alert Systems partners near you

Pros

• No contracts
    • Shower-safe
    • Easy setup

Cons

• No free trial period
    • Some upfront equipment costs

Bottom Line

BlueStar SeniorTech is a veteran-owned business with a range of quality products for senior safety, health and wellness. There’s no free trial period, but the company gives you a prorated refund if you cancel.

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner

Compare Brands

BlueStar SeniorTech Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BlueStar SeniorTech?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about BlueStar SeniorTech?

Original review: July 3, 2017

I got a BlueStar life alert because I'm not in very good health and I used to go out by myself. The BlueStar team is good and if we pushed the button, there was somebody here right away. I was really pleased with it. But when I realized I don't need it, I figured I'm not going to spend on something I don't need. I sent the equipment back to them. I'm never home alone and now, I don't go anywhere without somebody with me.

Original review: July 2, 2017

I fell several times and my husband passed away so my kids thought it would be a good idea for me to have a medical alert system. The BlueStar Ranger was the one that I picked out and it wasn't as expensive as the other ones. BlueStar also said it was veteran sponsored and my husband and son were both veterans. The price is reasonable but I get calls on it. I got a call from a lady who wondered why I was calling her boyfriend's old cell phone number and I get telemarketer calls three times a week. Other than that, the BlueStar team calls to remind me that its battery is getting low and I need to plug it. They're very nice. Overall, the experience has been very good.

Original review: July 1, 2017

I stay by myself and I was getting ready to have knee surgery. And I have heard so many people fall and in the future, I need something in case I fall. I got BlueStar and I love it. I accidentally hit the button one day and I wasn’t at home. They were out searching for me and they found me. They're awesome, quick and very helpful. Anybody that needs one should get BlueStar.

Original review: June 29, 2017

I have two medical alert devices, one from Medical Mobile Alert and one from BlueStar HonorCare. I don't have to pay for my batteries with Medical Mobile Alert. And when I got the cell phone, I told BlueStar that that's the way it works for the soldiers, so they told me when I checked in that the veterans are free. Every time I turn the device on and I bump it with my grandkids, it goes off, so I know the device works. They'd call me but I couldn't hear them if I'm in a bad area. I could hear them talk to me, I'd answer back and they'd still call to make sure. My suggestion would be for them to come up with the one that goes on the wrist or something that hangs on the neck so my grandkids can't muzzle the device.

Original review: June 28, 2017

My mom used to be at home and she was always by herself. She needed an alert device at that time so we got her one. At the time, we would get in touch with the life alert provider and they would take a long time just to get to our house. We were paying for a service that's taking us longer than we're not getting the service for. We were just wasting our money on that and so we decided to switch to BlueStar. My mom got the BlueStar Ranger because I was told that she can take it anywhere in El Paso and she could use it anytime she leaves home and goes to her doctor. It would alert them if she falls and where she's at. It had like a GPS in it and she wore it around her neck. But my mom went back to the nursing home, so we didn't need it anymore and I told them to stop it. But it was good. And if she ever comes home, I will go back to BlueStar. I would recommend it.

Original review: June 27, 2017

My father was going to be living with me and he had an electric chair that he wanted to drive outside and I didn’t want him to get lost. I bought the Ranger from BlueStar because we got a military discount. It goes around his neck and the price was alright. Also, the BlueStar team was nice and helpful.

Original review: June 26, 2017

My daughter-in-law went online and looked up all the different alarm companies. The minute I heard "Veterans", that's what I went for since I figured they're honest. The BlueStar device is easy to wear and shower with. I stick it in my bra when I'm fully dressed, which isn't often. I've hit it on the counter a couple of times or up against the desk. So when I'm sitting at the desk, I take it off. When I get up, I put it back on. The same when I go to bed at night. I used to tuck it under my pillow, but if I turn to the other side, I had it screwed around my neck. So I take it off when I go to bed and put it on my nightstand.

In the few times that I squeeze it up against the counter if I was reaching for something, BlueStar answered immediately. I told them it was my error, and they were very nice. I've never had anybody come on that was not very nice. One time I was unaware that it wasn’t working. I called them and the tech went through everything with me, and in three days, they sent me a new one and I sent the old one back. I was a little put out that I was wearing it for months and it wasn’t working, but that wasn’t their fault. It just took me that long to get in touch with them.

Overall, BlueStar is a lifesaver and I couldn’t speak highly enough of it. It gives me the freedom to take a bag of garbage out to the garbage barrel without fear of falling and not be able to get in touch with anybody. The price is also in a good range because I'm living on Social Security. The only thing I have a problem with is that they tell me to hide a key, but I don’t know where to hide a key where it is slightly safe.

Original review: June 25, 2017

I got the Ranger Mobile from BlueStar. I'm on a limited income and I was going for the price more than anything else. When I first got it, I pushed the button and got through. They took my information and put me on file. It would be good if I could call one of my kids and have them here as fast instead of waiting for somebody else to come because they live close by, but they insisted that I have this.

Original review: June 24, 2017

I got the BlueStar HonorCare help button around the neck for my dad. He has Parkinson's on his legs and although he lives with me, I'm not home all the time and no visiting angels on here all the time either. Compared to other companies, BlueStar had a good price. It was also nice that they had options. I received the device in the mail and I talked to someone to set it up. The rep was knowledgeable and professional. I tested it and it has worked fine. I would recommend them.

Original review: June 23, 2017

My wife has a history of falling down. She answered a survey online and BlueStar called and they sounded like a good company. One of their gentlemen I talked to was very pleasant and answered any questions I had.

Original review: June 22, 2017

I researched online and Googled top medical alert systems and one of the links was to ConsumerAffairs. So I went there and BlueStar appealed to me because my dad was a veteran and I grew up in the air force. My mother lives alone and I respect her privacy but we worry about her and wanted to make sure that we were doing the most we could, so we got her the Admiral Protect. When the team was setting it up, they were wonderful and they couldn’t have done better. I've been above and beyond satisfied with BlueStar.

Original review: June 20, 2017

BlueStar is a great company and is like a nice family business. I like their history. I also like the guy who called me, he's awesome. And then someone else called me and they were really nice too. I wore their device but I came down with a really bad staph infection in the area where it hits and it runs 24 hours a day on my skin. It was pretty nasty so I took the device off. It was really scary and the infection took a long a long time to go away. And although I can't prove that the device was where I got it, I have also had nothing else on my body. I've used the same laundry soap, the same bath soap, and I didn’t go anywhere. Sometimes, BlueStar has to make sure their equipment is really clean, wherever it gets manufactured. I'm sending the device back to them.

Good Afternoon, Ms. Blair,

Thank you for taking the time to write such kinds words about BlueStar HonorCare! Indeed, we are a like a family business - accessible and supportive of our nations' veterans and seniors. We've had an opportunity to discuss your device on a few occasions and at the time, all was well.

We haven't heard from you in some time. We only wish you would have told us that you thought your device may be causing you a skin irritation; we would have immediately replaced your unit. Moreover, our fulfillment and refurbishment team subjects each BlueStar device to a thorough cleaning process, including sanitizing the devices with non-toxic solutions and double-checking that each device is ready to be sent to a customer. We will not allow a device to leave our headquarters without it first being sanitized and cleaned according to strict expectations.

We have attempted to contact you but have not been able to reach you. We will continue to try and reach you at your home phone and via email.

Please contact BlueStar HonorCare at your earliest convenience at 1-800-300-1724.

Best regards,

Ryan Miner

Director of Customer Service

Original review: June 19, 2017

I saw BlueStar on a TV commercial and that kinda told me that I needed to get something for my mom, which I did. Way back, she slipped by herself. She used to have epileptic attacks too. Also, I'm a truck driver and when I got to roll, I will leave my mom alone in the house. She goes to the adult center. I got her the one with the GPS on it. It's good that she has that medical alert if there isn't anybody else who is going to help her out. If she has some kind of trouble, she can just push that button and somebody will be there. She can put it around her neck and also carry it in her purse. She knows what she's doing and how to use it. And although my mom is doing great, I would like her to keep the device that she has because you never know what will happen.

I spoke to someone from BlueStar when I was trying to get the device for my mom and get it hooked up her. I got along with them and they tried to help me out with the product. They were professional. BlueStar is doing a good job. People that are alone and those who fall down, they can find help with this alert device, just press the button and they'll call everyone. I will recommend BlueStar medical alert device to anybody who lives alone and who doesn't have a companion. They should try it out. I give them the thumbs up.

Original review: June 18, 2017

My wife had an early onset of dementia and she liked to walk. In the neighborhood, everybody knew her condition so she could walk freely. But she had a tendency to drift and leave the neighborhood. I ordered the pendant device from BlueStar HonorCare. I liked the cost. I was paying $32 a month and I had the higher program that would do the indoor and outdoors.

The only time I talked to the people at BlueStar was when they had a freak snowstorm on the East Coast and I couldn't get in contact with anybody and the system wasn't working very well. I had to call them if I had a problem on location issue but there was nobody to monitor. BlueStar is out of Washington DC and all of the East Coast was shut down.

My experience with BlueStar was good though. They were prompt, attentive and answered my questions. If not, they would refer me to someone that can answer the question. However, I had to send the device back because by the time that we got it going, my wife's condition had gotten worse. She could not use it for the intended purpose. Nevertheless, I would recommend this medical alert device for elderly patients.

Original review: June 17, 2017

I have lupus and all the things that go along with it. At the time, I could hardly get around and I was on a walker. And with these autoimmune things, it comea and goes. You kind of have a little bit of remission and then you go back into the problem. I was on a certain medication for a long time and the doctor switched me to another one. And when I got it, everything got better but I still have problems. I feel foolish wearing the medical alert device when I'm feeling good and getting around well. But I use it when I feel like I need to, which is not often.

After I had an improvement, I tried to return it several times but BlueStar didn't want to take it back. One guy said he would send me a label. But as time went on, they kept it running. I talked to them three times and they’re extremely nice and caring. The guy that I talked to about returning it didn't feel comfortable taking it back. It was $20 a month and he cut it down to keep for maintenance because he didn't feel comfortable leaving me without anything. I've never used it in an emergency but it gives me a feeling of security when I need it.

No response received
    Original review: June 15, 2017

I'm 66 years old and I have trouble with my back. Sometimes if I'm walking from one end of my trailer to the other, I'm bent over double by the time I get there. Also, sometimes I get so stressed with it that I can't stand. I got a BlueStar medical alert but I sent it back after it decided to call EMS twice and there was nothing wrong, which upset me all through hell. I hadn't pushed the button and it automatically called EMS at 2:00 in the morning because the battery got low. According to the paperwork that came with it, it only charges every four days. But whenever I talked to BlueStar about it, they said I had to charge it every night.

I didn't like the fact that every time the battery got low, my son would get a call to come and check on me. The 2 times it called EMS, I was asleep and I didn't hear the little noise that it makes for me to identify I'm okay. The noise is like a little phone ringing but it was real low. So after the second EMS call, I let it sit on the charger and I didn't bother with it.

Good Afternoon, Ms. Henry,

We are sorry to learn that you are less than satisfied with your BlueStar services. We attempted to contact you at the number we have on file to discuss your customer experience. We look forward to you contacting us so we can learn more.

According to our account notes with respect to your device, you attempted to press your button and failed to respond to the monitoring center operator. Our monitoring center operators are trained to send EMS services to your home if they fail to hear a response from the customer.

Your device only requires a charge every four days, but our customer service representatives often recommend to customers to maintain a charging schedule. Our customer service representative suggested that you should charge your device every night, even though it's not a requirement. If that caused you any confusion, please accept our apologies.

If you fail to charge your system's battery, our monitoring center is instructed to contact the customer. Should you have had an emergency and your device was not charged, you may not have received emergency medical services. Both customer service and our product experts explain this important function to our customers as much as possible.

We would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you to learn more about your customer experience. Please contact our customer service team by calling 1-800-300-1724.

Best regards,

Ryan Miner

Director of Customer Service

Original review: June 5, 2017

My husband has a tendency to be off-balanced and fall down. When he had dialysis, a social worker said BlueStar was good. We decided to get a Ranger medical alert device from them. We go everywhere and so I chose the Ranger because I wanted to make sure that everything was covered no matter where we were or what we were doing. If my husband would get hurt and we needed medical attention, we know that we have Bluestar's medical alert device with us.

Bluestar is a good company. They are always concerned about whether or not we're okay or if there's anything they can do for us. If they feel there is something going on, they make sure to call me. I think that's something you can't get anymore these days. We're very pleased and we would suggest Bluestar to anyone. Our experience with them has been fantastic.

Original review: June 4, 2017

I'm sickly and have COPD. I can’t get to the phone so I thought about getting a medical alert device that would help me out whenever emergency came up. I always thought about getting one but BlueStar really caught my eye. They are the first one that I looked at and I qualified for it because I had members in my family who served in the Army. The BlueStar team was wonderful and their level of knowledge was excellent. I had BlueStar for a couple of months and then I had to call them because I was having financial problems. They put it on hold for me and will start it back up on the first of July. They even went down with the price for me. Also, I didn’t know I had an issue with the device but they corrected everything. I love BlueStar HonorCare.

Original review: June 3, 2017

I have bad legs and sometimes they just drop out from underneath me. Fortunately they only try my cell when there wasn't somebody around. I didn't hurt myself too bad. I just laid there for a few minutes and I got up. But my grandson was here one time and I landed so hard that I laid on my kitchen floor for about 20 minutes. In the mobile home part that I live in, we've had two elderly people fall and split their heads open and bleed to death.

In my mother's later years, she was also taking falls. One time, I took her to the emergency room and they accused me of beating her up. She's black and blue to the whole side of her face and they called the police on me. But when she did come coherent where she could speak, she said, "No, I took a fall. And my son picked up me up, put me in the truck and drive." She and my stepfather had a medical alert device too. But the one my stepfather had was connected to the phone line and he couldn't leave the house with it.

One time, I fell down and couldn't get up. Then somebody gave me this number to call for BlueStar. I got a GPS one, so I can go anywhere with it around my neck. However, I've had to return it and they just sent me a new one. My grandkids had set it off a few times when we were horsing around. I had to tell BlueStar that it was a false alarm. Talking to with them wasn't too bad. They were very polite and understanding. I've talked to them from bookstores as well, and they're very nice, coherent and knowledgeable. I feel everybody uses it and I have nothing to complain about. They've been excellent and I extremely like it. I'd recommend them to anybody that needed them.

Original review: June 3, 2017

I mainly walk my dog about 16 blocks every day so I need to be careful because I’m an old guy. I have a BlueStar HonorCare device that I wear around my neck. This is my first medical alert and I’ve been figuring it out. I’ve got it on now and charge it every now and then, and that’s all I’m doing. This device is a positive thing. I sleep with it every night and try to charge it when I get up in the morning. Every now and then I forget to put it on just like when I walked my dog and I get halfway through the walk and I realized I did not have it around my neck. I ran off without anything at all yesterday and it ticked me off. I don’t understand why it's got a blue light that blinks every now and then, though.

Original review: June 2, 2017

My husband has already experienced falling and we got concerned that he might fall by himself again. I had fallen too, but that was a couple years back. So we got to think we need a medical alert device. We ordered the device that went around the neck. However, if we would have it hanging around our neck and touch it the wrong way, it would go off. We chose BlueStar because my husband was a veteran and we found the package attractive. The BlueStar team was very nice.

The problem we had with it is that mine went off too easy. We had the police and the fire department without even knowing they were here to take us. We stopped using them because we fear that we were going to end up with a problem. We have not used them in forever. In fact, we're going to cancel them because we can't afford to have it. They were too sensitive. We live out of the county and for 911 to make a real quick call, it was just bad. They do respond but it was totally inappropriate. I would have to tell my friends all that we went through. The experience was frustrating.

Original review: June 2, 2017

I'm getting older and I fell before in the bathtub due to a soap on the bottom of my foot. I had a medical alert device before from another company but I ordered the BlueStar device for my husband. I got one for him because he’s out on the street driving a cab every day and he might need it in an emergency. He likes his device so I thought that I’d switch to BlueStar which I did. I like the price and the fact that it is from an organization that supports veterans. I got the pear-shaped one that you put around your neck.

I like the BlueStar better than my old device. Their team has always been very nice too and I like that they check periodically when the battery is low. They also checked on me when I pressed the device accidentally. I also like how they are patient with me with my payments because I've had times where my bank account has been empty and I was trying to pay them. I'm very grateful for that. The only thing, though, was I noticed that both our devices are getting corrosion where the charging plates are on the little device. But other than that, it’s been a very good experience.

Original review: June 1, 2017

I have a history of falling and I had used another medical alert system before. I had to go to the monitor to let people know what was going on, and a lot of times I couldn't get to it. I used it for a year and did not renew my contract with them. I went through AARP and they had a whole list of providers. I talked to every one of them to find one where if I fell, could I get to the monitor because I may fall in the bathroom and the monitor is in the living room. That was one of the reasons that I went with BlueStar. Also, I found out that BlueStar was veteran-owned, had a discount for veterans and the program was designed for them. My husband was a Vietnam veteran, 100% disabled. I also liked that there was no contract. I would pay from month to month and the price was discounted because I was a veteran’s wife.

When the monitor is on my chest, I could just reach up and talk to BlueStar reps right into the alert button and I could go shopping and they will still be able to locate me if I fell. I was at the doctor’s office one day and he asked me to remove the monitor. I took it off and put it in my purse, which was sitting on the chair beside me, and BlueStar immediately called me to ask what the problem was. Sometimes I think the monitor itself is too sensitive but that’s a good thing. I put it off if I’m changing clothes and put it on the bed. I’ve learned to put it up as high as I am so that it won’t indicate that I’ve fallen.

However, I took the monitor off once and was testing it to make sure. By the time I took it off and put it in my purse, it took at least three to five minutes for BlueStar to respond to it. The few times I called, their response time is much too long. With the system I had before, almost the minute I hit the floor, they would immediately respond with “Do we need to call the police?” Also, if they couldn’t get a response from me to the monitor, they call me on my cellphone. With BlueStar, it’s always been through the pendant itself. If I’d fallen but I was all right, I wouldn’t want them to call the police department immediately. I’d rather have them check with me. That’s something they need to look at. But overall, I’d recommend BlueStar. I like a lot of the features they have better than what some of the other companies offered. I’ve been very satisfied and fortunately, I haven’t had any real emergency.

Original review: May 31, 2017

The VA was the one that sent BlueStar medical alert device to me. I needed it because I had concerns with falling, like falling in the shower. I was looking at the others and I believe that BlueStar is the one, it's all protective and it is used by veterans. It's a good experience. I would recommend BlueStar HonorCare.

BlueStar SeniorTech response

Thank you for your feedback Omar! - David C.

Original review: May 30, 2017

I'm concerned about falling, and BlueStar HonorCare seemed a good company to go with. I got the button that goes around my neck and since I'm alone sometimes I need to keep it handy.

Original review: May 29, 2017

I had a heart attack before and we called in an ambulance. It ended up being an anxiety attack. I was alarmed then so I purchased a BlueStar HonorCare wherein it alerts people when the device user is having a heart attack or when somebody breaks into their house. For my age and my medical condition, that would be nice to have.

Original review: May 28, 2017

I'm going through some medical dilemmas right now and BlueStar Veterans was the only one that advertised medical alert like they do on TV. The medical alert device is waterproof and I put it on a strap, wear it around my neck then I'm good to go. I've hit it once by accident and their response was all right. I'd definitely recommend BlueStar and I've already told some people about it, especially the ones who had knee surgery.

BlueStar SeniorTech response

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us Teri and especially for telling your friends about us. People recovering from knee surgery are far more likely to have a fall than they would be otherwise so you're doing them a real favor by mentioning a BlueStar medical alert system to them. Thanks again - David C.

Original review: May 27, 2017

I go to dialysis Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays and I'm sometimes weak and dizzy when I come home and my husband's not always there right away. I wanted something I could get some help right away and would help protect me if I fell. Another gal who was taking care of her mom told me about BlueStar medical alert and it was a little cheaper but had a few little things with it. Its range seems to be further than the other one I had.

When I first signed up and we're hooking the device up, my friend had a problem so she called the BlueStar team and they walked us through it. I had the wristband and the necklace with it since February and I like that if I don't wear the wristband then I can put the necklace on. I mainly wear BlueStar around the house and outside and I feel confident with it on. I'm very satisfied with it and I would recommend it. I gave BlueStar's name and number to the social worker in my dialysis place because she was looking for a few other alerts for some people and since the monthly costs of the other ones were too high.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I was looking for an emergency device at the website of Blue Star and they had a survey. Then they contacted me. I ordered the Sentry medical alert for my boyfriend. It just sits there whenever we don't use it. His granddaughter, who's three years old so she's all hands, accidentally hit the emergency button and it just got canceled.

Original review: May 26, 2017

I'm on a Pacemaker and my heart's not that great so I was in the market for a medical alert device. BlueStar HonorCare had a GPS so I decided to get it and not other medical alert systems. I've got the one around the neck with the SOS button on it. I got one call from them saying that my battery was low so I charged it. Overall, I feel a little more secure when I'm using it.

BlueStar SeniorTech Company Information