2. Medical Alert Systems

4.6/5 (638 ratings)
Find a Medical Alert Systems partner

Find Medical Alert Systems partners near you

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner

Compare Brands

About BlueStar SeniorTech

BlueStar SeniorTech is a veteran-owned company that offers telehealth services and technology for seniors. Available devices include monitored alert systems, fall detection, memory aids, medication tools and more. There are no contracts or trial periods, and some equipment may require an upfront cost for purchase. BlueStar SeniorTech sells third-party solutions in some cases, so you may be directed to another site to find what you're looking for.

Find Medical Alert Systems partners near you

Pros

• No contracts
    • Shower-safe
    • Easy setup

Cons

• No free trial period
    • Some upfront equipment costs

Bottom Line

BlueStar SeniorTech is a veteran-owned business with a range of quality products for senior safety, health and wellness. There’s no free trial period, but the company gives you a prorated refund if you cancel.

Want assurance for you or a loved one?

Get help from a Medical Alert partner

Compare Brands

BlueStar SeniorTech Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BlueStar SeniorTech?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about BlueStar SeniorTech?

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

I'm pretty well getting in the age limit so having the medical alert device would've been good. I thought I knew how my body is but, in a way, I don't 'cause sometimes I fall for no reason. I saw the BlueStar HonorCare advertisement on the television and after that, I gave them a call. They ran it down and it sounded very interesting. The next thing I knew, I was doing the paperwork over the phone and when I received it, I was wowed. I liked their services but I had to send it back 'cause I couldn’t afford it at that time, although they told me to give them a call back when things change.

I'll probably talk with my aunt and uncle about the medical alert device and see if they want something like that because they could use it in case something happens to either one of them. Although my aunt and uncle have kids, they're grown and in a way, they don't have the time to visit their parents as often as they did. I would definitely advise somebody and let them know about BlueStar and that it's good.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

I’ve had other medical alert systems in the past. But I'm getting up in the ages and I've been having a few problems off and on. In the small towns here in Texas, they got one doctor in town and one hospital. That hospital look you over, charge you a fortune, then tell you to go to El Paso, which is about 100 miles away. That's reason I got a new medical alert system. BlueStar has been pretty good, so far. The only problem I've had with it is the battery. The charge goes downhill fast. Also, I read the advertisements and it said that they will daily check with you but nobody has called me or sounded the alarm. But every now and then, I punch the button to make sure it still works and they respond in a minute or so.

Hi, John,

We encourage our customers to develop a pattern for charging their units. For instance, please consider leaving your unit within its charging cradle each night when you go to bed. The next morning you can remove the unit and wear it for the duration of your day. One four-hour charge should last you up to 2 days. We do not, however, recommend you wait any longer than two days to charge the unit.

While your unit does not contact you each day, we do have a service - our Roll Call service - that will contact you each day to check in on you.

One of our customer service representatives will contact you today to follow up.

Thank you for being a BlueStar customer!

BlueStar HonorCare

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

A medical alert device would be good for me in case I fall. BlueStar HonorCare called me and told me what I needed to do. They sent the device to me last July and it's been okay. They call me when the battery is low and if anything has happened. However, I travel and I don't know how far the range the device could reach and if it will work if I'm not within my area. Still, BlueStar has been good so far.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I’m disabled, my wife works, and my son is in school. I am by myself during the day and my wife thought it would be better if I had a medical alert device. I had fallen quite a few times in the past and she wanted something that would keep me protected. If I fall again and I can’t get to a phone, I can just push the button. I had been comparing devices and found that BlueStar offers everything that Life Alert has except BlueStar is cheaper.

My BlueStar device has been working okay so far. We have to remember to keep it charged. I look at the lights and when they are flashing real fast, I know I got to charge it or people at BlueStar will call and tell me to charge the device. I have tested it by pressing the button and then someone got to me and asked if I was okay or if I needed help. The other day, they called and they were talking on it and I couldn’t understand them. So then, they called me on my phone and I told them everything was okay. Overall, the people at BlueStar are very professional and they take their time to make sure you’re okay and don’t need help right away. Everything that they have done has been great.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

I was living in my suite and my daughter and my grandchildren were living in the main house. The first incident was when I fell out of the bathtub and naturally, I couldn’t get help so I got dried and dressed. Then I went to the main house but that wasn’t very good. Then there was a second incident. I take quite a bit of medication along with vitamins and I picked out a handful but this one particular time, a couple of them got stuck in my throat and I couldn't breathe.

It just so happened that my granddaughter called me right when it started happening and she moves in the medical field so she was telling me first to calm down. However, I couldn’t really tell her I couldn’t breathe and that one minute seemed like 10. But when she finally told me to sit down which I was already doing, she told me to put my head between my legs and before I could get my head down, everything came out.

Now, we're all in the same house but I'm on the first floor and everybody else is on the third floor. I also went through three medical alert providers and every one of the companies had brought the price down by $2 less than BlueStar. But I found out that BlueStar was a United States military veterans-owned and -ran company and I thought it was my obligation to be a part of BlueStar because my father and my husband both retired from the military.

If I could just submit the right account with them, everything would be fine. But so far, I've had to change the account number for them to be able to get the past two payments without having to get back in touch with me and I'm just trying to get that worked out. I have two bank accounts but I do different things at each bank account. I forgot all about making sure of funds for one of them and I got an email yesterday from BlueStar but I have no complaints whatsoever even with them not getting the payment. They don't make me feel like I'm a bad person.

Also, with the first company that I ever had, I had to wear the device around my neck and it irritated me so. But the button I wear now around my neck is felt and it doesn’t irritate me. It's also very lightweight and I don't accidentally hit the button so I'm glad. With that other company, it was a little heavier which bothered me and I was always hitting the button accidentally. I love my BlueStar Veterans medical alert device and I would recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

I got a BlueStar for safety. I ride an old-fashioned scooter on the street and I would be able to push the device if I get into an accident. Overall, it's good and works fine.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I'm 72 years old and have had heart surgery. Both my knees are bad and they give away real easy on me. I fell numerous times before too and had ended up in the hospital from falling two times. That is why I needed a medical alert device. I ordered the BlueStar Ranger because I like the price. It was less than most devices which cost a dollar a day. This is less than a dollar a day and so far, it’s been alright. I had no problem setting it up initially. When I lost my debit card, it would’ve been okay because they can then take the amount off of it if they have to. But they weren’t able to take a payment out of me.

But the response time is very slow. I actually have to push the button hard twice if I wanted to get an answer. One of them didn't even answer at all. Once, I tripped on the rug and fell on the floor. When I hit the floor, I fell on it but it never went off. I finally got up and I was okay, so I didn’t push the button. Another time I fell out on the porch. And I laid in the yard for five minutes before my next door neighbor came and got me up. She pushed the button and it was five minutes before they even responded to that call. Then the guy that came on the line asked if I got problems. I explained that I fell out on the porch but I was okay. All that he said was he will reset the device, which was fine. But it took me forever to get him on the phone and get them on the line. I'm a bit dissatisfied because I've had to push the button so hard to get their attention. But other than that, everything else is fine.

Good Morning, Russell,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a Consumer Affairs review. Your feedback is important to us. We are sorry to learn of your recent health problems.

One of our customer service representatives will contact you as soon as possible to assist you with troubleshooting your unit. We want to better understand why your unit may have a delayed response.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I live by myself and anything can happen and so I got a medical alert device. Since getting my Bluestar device, I know that if something happens, I can press the button. I put it around my neck and sometimes I'm scared that I might press the button by accident. I did it one time and the BlueStar team was responsive.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2017

I have COPD, asthma, high blood pressure, I’m a diabetic and I was staying by myself so I needed a medical alert device. BlueStar was helping the military and I have a cousin there making a career out of the Navy so I went with them. I explained to them that I couldn’t pay the high price they first brought to me and they dropped it down to $20 a month. They even sent me some coupons for restaurant.com and a card with $20 on it to use if I needed to buy anything from the store for personal needs.

However, I don't know why the device is off now, and I tried to call BlueStar about it but nobody answered. Other than that, they were great. I tested the emergency button and the man came on and I told him it was a test on it. He was very respectful and answered my questions and they were quick on responding as soon as I pushed the button. I have recommended them to two people in Chicago and even gave them a card from BlueStar. My daughter’s stepmother recently had a bad episode in the hospital and I recommended BlueStar to her as well.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

My ankles go out on me and I trip easily. I also have problems with my legs sometimes. They cramp up with a step, and I fall. I wanted a medical alert service in case I was by myself. However, I don't keep it around my neck because it really dangles around while on me. So I try to keep it close by where I can get to it. I carry it in my purse or in my car if I'm going anywhere. BlueStar's supposed to have a GPS in. If I really need them for emergencies, they'd be able to find me and get me to the doctor.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I didn't come across a hard sell with BlueStar. It was humble and I appreciated that. I compared them to another company who had some gimmicks off of the computer that tried to sell me maintenance for the computer. They don't listen and just talked right over me, which BlueStar didn't do. I tested the medical alert device when I first got it. I didn't wear it quite often. And then, I noticed that it wasn't blinking anymore, so I plugged it back in and left it there. That has been a week ago and I unplugged the device so I'm not overcharging it. It's a necklace but it's under my shirt and people would have to be looking really carefully to see it. It also advertises that I live alone which is scary. Although I have two dogs, if somebody broke in, it wouldn't give a lot of defense. Advertising also says it is waterproof. But I'm quite unhappy 'cause I'm not sure if I can put it on suspend for a while.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I got the BlueStar Ranger and it works. I tried it to make sure they can hear me. When I pushed the button to see if they would respond it took them a while. But I might not have pushed the button right or long enough so I had to push it again. Every time my battery goes down they call me. When they ring the device it scares me to death when I'm here by myself. I have to charge the battery every day or every other day. So I've called them about the battery and it's when the rep started telling me what to do. He said, "Leave it on overnight." And I said, "I did, and half the day too to keep it going." But usually two days is the most it will ever hold the battery.

I decided that I'd do it when I'm home. But I get up quite a bit to go to the bathroom and to get something to eat. I move around in the house. That's when I'd fallen. I have to take it off there and put it around my neck every time I get up and that's not good. I left it on here one day and I forgot about it. But it's the only one time I've done that. But other than the battery everything else has been fine.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I am 66 years old and live alone. My son's getting married, so he moved out. I'm also a heart and dialysis patient. I thought I needed something, and with all the flooding that's going on in Houston, I'm glad to have BlueStar's device. Some of the other medical alert services seemed to have a lot of junk with them but the ones from BlueStar HonorCare have a very simple program and they have something that hangs around the neck. I can take the device to the shower or wherever I want to go, and I'm glad to have it. I've tested the button and the reps have been very nice. They’re doing a good job just the way they are. I feel comfortable having the BlueStar device and that's probably peace of mind.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

The history of the company itself appealed to me so I got BlueStar HonorCare. I've had good interactions with the individuals there at BlueStar. They've been very kind and very nice. I'm thrilled with the service that I've received on it. The device is easy to wear and comfortable to carry. It goes off on a dime if I were to need it and there's always somebody on the other end of the line. I've made mistakes with it since it's new to me but I've enjoyed it and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I have a lot more peace of mind since having it. I know I've got help right there. The BlueStar people need to keep doing what they're doing because they're doing a good job. I plan on recommending them to my sister because she needs the same system.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I was looking for a cheaper medical alert system online and BlueStar came up. I was married to a veteran so they put me through and I got the Ranger. I could go anywhere with the GPS and everything is good so far. I've had a few glitches where I fell and then I pushed the button and nothing happened. But then I realized when I called them that it has to vibrate before they connect to it and now I know I have to press and hold. But that was the only difficulty I had with them. It's a good service. My partner passed away so I am now alone and it's giving me more security. The experience was perfect and smooth.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I needed something to wear while my daughter was gone to work, and she decided on BlueStar. A first, it wasn't so good. But then they found out I couldn't hear them. They adjusted it, so then, they were able to hear me, and I was able to hear them. The device is okay. I just keep bumping it on stuff because it has a long chain and I'm so short.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I’m 75 years old and I’m diabetic. I chose BlueStar to help the veterans but I have tested my button and the response wasn’t very fast. I could call 911 myself and get help way faster. Also, I can’t sleep with it around my neck and the battery stays low all the time because I forget to charge it. They should put a red light on it when it needs to be charged because the green and blue lights take turns flashing and I don't know which one is telling me to charge it. But overall, if I know a friend needs an emergency button, I would recommend BlueStar.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I was experiencing a lot of vertigo so I ordered the Ranger medical alert device from BlueStar. The doctors told me that it would be the best medical alert. If I'm by myself and something happens to me, all I have to do is click on the button and they would be right on my door. I also thought that the BlueStar medical alert device was covered by Medicaid and Medicare so I chose them. However, I didn't like their medical alert device. Every time I was putting the device on, I was getting phone calls from people who would ask to speak to someone else like it was a regular cell phone. I told them that they're calling a medical alert device which they thought was a phone number. So I called BlueStar about that and they said that they'll get it fixed.

They charged me for $22 as monthly payment and took money out of my card without my permission when I was canceling everything with them. I asked the gentleman from BlueStar's customer service when my money would be refunded. He told me that as soon as they get the merchandise, my money would be available in two days. Two days have passed and it's been a week already but I haven't seen not even one dime in my card yet. Overall I had a very poor experience with BlueStar and I'm very dissatisfied with them. I'm not going to recommend them, not even to my own parents. We will search and get somebody else when they need a medical alert device.

Hi, Lourdes,

Thank you for taking the time to review BlueStar HonorCare. We are glad to have had you as a customer, and we are happy to learn that your doctor recommended BlueStar’s products!

We are, however, disappointed to learn that your BlueStar experience did not meet your expectations. We would like to solicit further feedback from you so as to help us grow as a company.

Devices that connect to a monitoring center using cellular technology are assigned a ten-digit phone number, just like your cellular phone. Protecting our customer’s privacy is our number-one priority. Nevertheless, marketers will sometimes discover the phone numbers associated with our devices and contact our customers without their permission. We’re working hard to prevent unsolicited calls to our devices.

When customers alert our customer service department of this inconvenience, we immediately rectify the problem and update the technology to ensure that marketers can no longer contact our customers through their device. We apologize for any inconvenience that the calls may have caused you.

BlueStar’s mission is to help seniors and veteran families left better: safe, healthy and connected. We wanted to be sure that you were completely satisfied with your service, and it’s why we hoped that we could offer you a more affordable monthly rate when you contacted us in June.

It is not our policy to publicly discuss our customer’s personal financial arrangements; therefore, we respectfully request you contact us at 1-800-300-1724 (press two for customer service, when prompted) to discuss any concerns you have with your account.

We are disappointed that you later decided to cancel your services with BlueStar and return your unit. On August 8, we mailed you a prepaid FedEx return label. We did receive your unit on August 21 and will be happy to discuss any further questions you may have.

Our customer service team attempted to contact you today but was unsuccessful in reaching you. We do appreciate your feedback and look forward to communicating with you to learn how we could have done better as a company.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I get dizzy a lot and fall around and I grab the first stuff that I can hang on to. And when my son leaves, sometimes he’s gone overnight and so he didn’t want me to be by myself. We also just moved to this area, and we don’t know anybody around here. The closest person we know lives seven miles away. We got my device from BlueStar. They were veteran connected and I’m glad of that because my father was in the Second World War, and we’re great to respect our troops. I’d rather be with a company that faced that way. I’m not alone very much, but when I am, I feel safe that I have my BlueStar device. The BlueStar team was great. When I pushed the button, their response was instant. I would highly recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I’ve been needing an SOS button for a while because of my falls and due to medication. I found BlueStar, got my first one from them, and so far, I’m doing good. Their reps have been wonderful and are concerned. I’ve been keeping the button tested and they act so quick. The battery life is good but the charger wears out really quick so I’m using my other charger for it. I have the necklace and it's pretty heavy. It is getting in my way when I try to sleep and I’d rather have it as a bracelet.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
    Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I looked up BlueStar HonorCare on the internet. I needed it and I was hoping this medical alert system would do some good for me. However, it didn’t. I had the Ranger and I pushed it a few times, but it didn’t work that much. I did not like it as it always kept messing up on me. Every time I called, it just stayed on and beeped. I talked to the BlueStar team and told them that I wanted to order something else. But they said I’d have to stick to the Ranger. I didn’t have a use for it anymore, so I sent it back. Also, BlueStar took money from me in August the 2nd and then the 16th. They said they wouldn’t refund my money back. I called my card about it, but the money never came back on my card at all. My daughter also called, still, the money did not come back. My overall experience with BlueStar was fair, although I was very dissatisfied with them.

Hi, Sally,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a Consumer Affairs review on behalf of BlueStar HonorCare. Your feedback is important to us.

We are sorry to learn that you decided to discontinue your BlueStar services for the reasons you listed.

In the beginning of June, our activation manager placed a successful test call with you, and you spoke with a monitoring center operator to confirm you home address and emergency contacts.

Later in June, you contacted BlueStar with concerns that your device was not charging. A BlueStar customer service representative instructed you to charge your device, and we contacted you the following day to ensure the device was charged. Moreover, we placed a successful test call and spoke with the monitoring center.

In August, you again contacted BlueStar, concerned that your unit was not charging. That day, we offered to exchange your unit with a new BlueStar Ranger; however, you informed us that you needed more time to mull the decision over, and you said you would speak with your daughter to make a final decision. The next day, you contacted BlueStar and requested to cancel.

A BlueStar customer service representative subsequently sent you a prepaid FexEx return label, and we received your BlueStar Ranger on August 16. That day, I processed the return and issued you a refund for $32.95. I did confirm with our chief financial officer that your refund was processed (we mailed you a copy of the transaction and the corresponding transaction number for your records).

While your daughter abruptly ended our phone call yesterday, we would appreciate another opportunity to speak with you to discuss the account and address some of your other concerns.

We look forward to speaking with you again soon.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

There are things that are not right with my body and I had a lot of falls. But I like to go places and to do things. I don't want to be stuck at home, 200 feet from my building. I want to be able to get my wheelchair and wheel wherever. I had three other medical alert devices but I got the Admiral Protect medical alert from BlueStar because of the GPS. But it's not working. I had to go to the emergency room twice and the device did not work in either time. I had to rely on my sister to call EMS. I want to send it back and not have it billed anymore. I truly would like to have my debit card reimbursed for these months that I could not use it. We also talked to somebody to see if they could plug the device in a different spot and my sister tried to get it to go where it needed. I didn't have anybody follow through with that though. I'm dissatisfied with my experience with BlueStar overall.

Hi, Cynthia,

Thank you for taking the time to submit a Consumer Affairs review.

We are sorry to learn that your mobile unit did not meet your expectations. Our customer service team attempted to contact you on Friday but was unsuccessful. We would like to learn more about your unit and what happened that led you to cancel your services and return.

Once your device is returned to BlueStar, a member of our customer service team will deactivate your billing account. Your prepaid return label was mailed on September 8.

Please contact us at your earliest convenience at 1-800-300-1724 (press 2 when prompted) to discuss your account.

BlueStar HonorCare

Original review: Aug. 31, 2017

My son wanted me to get the BlueStar a long, long time ago. I’m 77 and I had some falls and I resisted it because I thought I was always able to get up. But on February 7, I fell and had a bad compound fracture on my leg. So when I got home from the rehab center, he got it for me. It’s a little black one that hangs on my neck. I haven’t had to use it though but I leaned against it one time and activated it by mistake, and they answered within a minute which is a good response time. They were very accommodating and I was satisfied with calling the number that was on the literature. So, I’ve had a good experience.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I had a medical alert system and I wanted to try something else so I chose BlueStar Veterans next. I needed a device because I stay by myself and I couldn’t control my balance and my kids had to come over and get me above the floor. I have tested it and I love their response. Also, the device is small and doesn’t take up any room in the house. I just love it and I enjoy using it.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

I have cancer and have passed out in the shower before so I decided to get a medical alert device. BlueStar was the first one that popped up. It works for me and I test it every month to make sure it's working. I don't wear it because if I'm out, that means I'm fine. I keep the device by my bed. If there's a problem where I can't get a hold of somebody right away, the device is there. I'm totally happy with the BlueStar device.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I live by myself and I have 18 different medications. I have diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, asthma and COPD. BlueStar have better prices than others. It is a preventative life care that if I walk out and I pass out all of a sudden, I could just call for help. I have the one that has GPS and it’s good all over. I’m about to take a trip in September to Southern California and I’d probably take it along with me.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I’m getting up in age and I’ve been having dizzy spells which make me lose my balance easily, so, I got a medical alert device. I had another medical alert provider a long time ago, but it was too expensive so I let it go back. I checked BlueStar out because of the price and then I talked to them. It actually has done more than the medical alert does. When I ordered, the guy I talked to was really nice and answered a lot of my questions. The BlueStar Ranger is a very good product. I like that when I’m out somewhere or if I’m by myself and got lost, which I have a habit of doing, that I can get help. The overall experience with them was awesome.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I'm diabetic so I need a medical alert device and the one I had before BlueStar cost me too much so I got one from them. When I fell, I talked to the BlueStar team and they’re friendly and helpful. They have great response and service.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I had two very serious incidents in the past and I made it out okay. I’m alive and kicking, but I decided after that I better get a medical alert. I’ve had BlueStar for three months now, and it's not working the way it should. After the initial test everything was fine, but for some reason, it didn’t work anymore, and now it’s still not working, and I just had to put it to the side. I told BlueStar that I’m glad to pay them. And they said, “No, you’re good with us. You paid us three months in advance.” I then told them that I haven’t had the service of it, so I’m hoping to get a little bit of credit. They said, “Well, we’ll see what we can do.” And that’s the last I heard of that. I like the whole philosophy behind helping vets immediately, but they just need to get the medical alert device working first.

Factual basis uncertain
    Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I have a bad habit of accidentally aggravating the Jitterbug phone. It works good and it’s still my cell phone but I wanted a backup in the event that my internet is not working. I saw BlueStar at the supply store and I thought it would be an alternative to using my smartphone and they both can find my location. Plus, it is small and I can wear it around my neck. But I fell down more than once and it did not know that. I would hit the button accidentally and they would respond quickly, but other times, I would try to get a hold of them and they wouldn’t respond at all. I called the paperwork guy on the telephone because when I mashed the button on the unit itself I wouldn’t get a response. BlueStar is not worth the money so I cancelled it.

Hi, Mr. O'Callaghan,

We are sorry to just now learn that you have decided to discontinue your services with BlueStar HonorCare.

We are unaware that you have had any technical-related issues with your BlueStar unit. Our account notes do not reflect that you contacted our company for any reason to discuss an issue with your unit. We would have been more than happy to immediately address your concerns and find a quick solution to whatever the problem may have been.

However, we have no record of you canceling your device. Our customer service team has attempted to contact you multiple times via voicemail and email but received no response from you since June 2017.

We are happy to work through the issues with you and resolve any outstanding problems you claim you are having with our unit.

Please contact our Customer Service team at your earliest convenience at 1-800-300-1724 (press two for customer service).

BlueStar SeniorTech Company Information