State & Local Consumer Agencies

State and local consumer protection offices mediate complaints, conduct investigations, prosecute offenders of consumer laws, license and regulate a variety of professionals, promote strong consumer protection legislation, provide educational materials and advocate in the consumer interest. To save time, call the office before sending in a written complaint. Ask if the office handles the type of complaint you have, and if complaint forms are provided.

State Offices
Patricia Morse Jarman
Commissioner of Consumer Affairs
Department of Business and Industry
1850 East Sahara, Suite 101
Las Vegas, NV 89104
Toll free: 1-800-326-5202
TDD: 702-486-7901
Fax: 702-486-7371
Web site:

Ray Trease
Supervisory Compliance Investigator
Consumer Affairs Division
Department of Business and Industry
4600 Kietzke Lane, Bldg. B, Suite 113
Reno, NV 89502
Toll free in NV: 1-800-326-5202
TDD: 702-486-7901
Fax: 702-688-1803

State Banking Regulators

The officials listed below regulate and supervise state-chartered banks. Many of them handle or refer problems and complaints about other types of financial institutions as well. Some also answer general questions about banking and consumer credit. If you are dealing with a federally chartered bank, check the listing of Selected Federal Agencies.

L. Scott Walshaw
Commissioner, Financial Institutions
406 East Second Street
Suite 3
Carson City, NV 89701-4758
Fax: 702-687-6909

State Insurance Regulators

Each state has its own laws and regulations for all types of insurance, including car, homeowner and health insurance. The officials listed below enforce these laws. Many of these offices can provide you with information to help you make informed insurance buying decisions.

Alice Molasky-Arman
Commissioner, Division of Insurance
1665 Hot Springs Road, #152
Carson City, NV 89710
Toll free in NV: 1-800-992-0900, ext. 4270
Fax: 702-687-3937
Web site:

Sources include the Consumer's Resource Handbook, U.S. General Services Administration. We welcome updates and corrections. Please address the Webmaster.