Find a Legal Services partner

Help me decide
  2. Legal Services

LegalShield

formerly Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.

3.4/5 (186 ratings)
Find a Legal Services partner

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

About LegalShield

More than 4.1 million members have turned to LegalShield for advice on estate planning, consumer and credit protection, benefits disputes and auto and driving issues. LegalShield assists families, individuals, small businesses and human resources professionals with legal problems related to immigration, personal injury and financial concerns. LegalShield offers services in all 50 states and four Canadian provinces, and the company partners with law firms to answer legal questions and provide legal help.

Pros

• 24/7 emergency legal assistance
  • Serves individuals and businesses
  • Affordable legal plans

Cons

• Can’t pause services
  • Membership costs vary by region

Bottom Line

LegalShield partners with law firms in the U.S. and Canada to offer assistance with everything from speeding tickets to court representation at an accessible price point.

Top LegalShield Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

From day one had my husband's and my own wills done immediately saving us approx $1,500 as well as financial power of [attorneys]. I wish I had found this service years ago. Amazi...

Verified

I love my LegalShield Membership. I saved over thousands in just less than one year with the cost of my membership compared to the price I had to pay a lawyer for “one” car accide...

Get access to verified lawyers today

Ask for help 24/7 on JustAnswer

Get Started

LegalShield membership

LegalShield provides regular access to legal teams in exchange for a monthly membership fee. The company offers unlimited legal advice within customers’ monthly membership plans, which lets clients call their law firm without worrying about going over a certain amount of time or number of calls.

During consultations, clients can get help starting legal documents, submitting traffic tickets or reviewing documents up to 15 pages. Tech-savvy clients who prefer to have legal assistance at the tip of their fingers benefit from LegalShield’s mobile app, which is available for Apple and Android phones. Members can also access emergency legal services through the app.

LegalShield services

• Real estate
  • Starting a business
  • Traffic violations and accidents
  • Trial defense

Unlike some competitors, LegalShield attorneys can defend and represent you in court, a service that is complimentary for members. While you’ll always work with the same law firm, you might not always work with the same attorney — each lawyer has their own area of expertise.

The membership also includes perks like 8% savings on eligible Verizon Wireless plans and 15% on Harry & David orders.

LegalShield plans

LegalShield offers several different plans catered to different needs. Pricing varies from state to state, but we gathered starting costs and features for LegalShield’s legal services in Oklahoma to give you an idea at the fees and services you’ll be looking at:

Personal Legal Plan
The LegalShield Personal plan starts at $24.95 a month and is designed for individuals and families looking for personal legal advice. The plan includes:
  • Unlimited consulting
  • Speeding ticket assistance
  • Unlimited contract review (up to 15 pages)
  • Will, living will and power of attorney
  • Uncontested adoption representation
  • IRS audit legal services
  • Residential loan document assistance
  • Collections, warranties and guarantees
Small Business Legal Plan
The Small Business Essentials Plan connects your business with a provider law firm to help with a variety of issues, including advice, consultation and research, collection letters, document review and flat-fee services. The company has three different plans:

The plans mostly differ by how often the services can be used. For instance, the Small Business Legal Essentials includes 10 document reviews per year for documents up up to 15 pages, while Small Business Legal Pro includes 40 document reviews per year for documents up to 25 pages. the Plus and Pro level plans also include flat-fee services, IRS audit legal services and interstate services, which are not included in the Essentials plan.

• Small Business Legal Essentials costs $49 each month.
  • Small Business Legal Plus costs $99 per month.
  • Small Business Legal Pro costs $169 each month.
Commercial Drivers Legal Plan
The Commercial Drivers Legal Plan starts at $32.95 a month. It’s designed for licensed commercial drivers looking for representation and coverage. The plan includes:
  • Coverage for member and spouse
  • Traffic accident representation
  • Moving violations defense
  • Defense of non-moving violations
Identity Theft Plan
The IDShield Individual plan helps individuals, families and businesses looking for identity theft protection. The company offers six different plans:
  • IDShield Individual ($13.95/month) covers a single individual includes credit monitoring and alerts from one credit bureau, unlimited consulting, $1 million identity theft protection coverage, 12-month credit score tracking history and 24/7 access to customer support.
  • IDShield Three-Bureau Individual ($17.95) includes the same features as IDShield Individual but includes credit monitoring and alerts from all three bureaus.
  • IDShield Family ($26.95) has the same protection as IDShield Individual but add coverage for your spouse or domestic partner and up to 10 minors.
  • IDShield Three-Bureau Family ($32.95) offers the same features of IDShield Family but monitors credit and sends alert from all three credit bureaus.
  • IDShield for Business Essentials ($79.95/month) includes a vulnerability scan, remote technical assistance, emergency help line response and a $100,000 cyberprotection plan. It protects up to six URLs and/or public IP addresses.
  • IDShield for Business Plus ($149.95/month) includes the same protection as IDShield for Business Essentials but covers up to 12 URLs and/or public IP addresses.

LegalShield pricing

Personal legal plans start at $24.95 a month, and additional add-ons start at $12.95 a month. Plans for small businesses start at $49 a month, commercial driver plans start at $32.95 a month and identity theft plans start at $13.95 a month. On average, an independent attorney charges $150 to $400 an hour, meaning partnering with LegalShield could be a big money saver.

The company offers several plan tiers, so be sure to consider how often you might need services and what services you're likely to require to ensure you choose the right plan for you.

LegalShield FAQ

How do I cancel my LegalShield subscription?
Members can cancel their LegalShield subscription at any time and receive a refund for any unused portion of their membership. There are three ways to cancel: call customer support, email customer support or send a written letter.
Will LegalShield hold up in court?
Yes. LegalShield works with bar-certified, independent law firms in the U.S. and Canada. The company has more than 900 attorneys in its network who assist with multiple legal matters, including trademarks, patents and copyrights.
Does LegalShield cover criminal cases?
Yes, LegalShield’s legal plans cover members and their spouses in trial defense cases, and the company can assist with most cases in criminal law.

Is LegalShield worth it?

LegalShield is worth it if you frequently need to consult an attorney and are looking for a budget-friendly option. We recommend the company for individuals, families, small businesses and HR professionals who have a monthly need for legal assistance. LegalShield doesn’t offer the option to pause subscriptions, so clients pay for the month regardless of whether they use the services. If you, your family, or small business require the help of an attorney on a consistent basis, then LegalShield is an affordable choice.

LegalShield Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalShield?

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

You never know which lawyer or customer service person will provide great service, mediocre service, or downright disrespectful service. Some of their lawyers are extremely condescending and patronizing and the same goes for their agents who answer the phone. If the customer had the answers they would not need to consult with subscription services like LegalShield but that being stated does not mean that the customer should be disrespected or treated as just another number. I had an issue with a vendor who was withholding a deposit for an event that could not be held due to COVID-19 restrictions on indoor events in Maryland. The lawyer sent a brief letter that had a glaring misspelled word. The fact that the lawyer didn't take the time to proofread their correspondence was silly.

Fast-forward I had an issue with a tenant and the lawyer assigned was so patronizing and rude, literally cut me off mid-sentence, and seemed pissed off that she had to call me after 5 pm on a Friday. She refused to hear anything I stated and seemed more intent on displaying her "superior intelligence" than trying to provide a viable solution to the issue. Months prior I was seeking advice on how to deal with a car manufacturer that had a defect in their vehicle and I was injured. Instead of calling me back as promised, they had an outside firm call me but failed to inform me of what was happening.

Some attorneys have been very kind, informative and not only listened but came up with solutions that made sense. If you need legal correspondence, some advice on legal matters, or minor contract issues, they are probably a decent resource but don't dare question the advice they provide, even if you are looking for clarity that might cause a ruckus.

LegalShield response

LegalShield manages our member's subscriptions to our legal and IDShield plans. Our network of provider law firms administers the legal plan benefits to legal plan members and is responsible for assigning lawyers to the various requests for services submitted by members. While we do not play a role in the administering of legal services, we do hold our provider law firms accountable to service level agreements (SLA’s) that are mutually agreed upon by LegalShield and the provider law firms. We provide our members with resources to let us know if their provider law firm is not meeting those SLAs and will work to remediate any issues related to those SLA’s. Thank you for this important feedback.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

I had purchased a LegalShield ID Shield plan a while back and just had it for insurance and peace of mind purposes. I would receive an update every now and then letting me know if there had been any identity theft triggers and it was nice to know I was protected. I decided to purchase a LegalShield business plan online based on the services they offer and the reasonable price of $99.00 per month.

Days had gone by as I attempted to log in to access my plan multiple times and could not. I am a website developer so I was pretty sure it was not a user error but I wanted to be sure to get this fixed. When I had some time about a week after purchasing the plan I called the customer service phone number. I was on the phone for 45 minutes and they could not provide me with access to this plan nor were they willing to open a ticket to correct the issue. They stated they would open a ticket but were unwilling to provide a reference number for the ticket and placed me on hold multiple times.

I had decided after 40 minutes on the phone call I wanted to cancel the business and IDShield membership plans out of frustration due to the lack of knowledge and/or willingness of the customer service representatives to help. They transferred me from one customer service representative to another in order to cancel the two plans.

When the second rep told me they would transfer me again, I sternly asked for the email to cancel the membership in writing which I was finally given. Overall I would be very skeptical with the ability of the LegalShield customer service team to assist if you have an issue with your account. This unfortunately is not a review of the actual LegalShield plan, but of the unscrupulous tactics of the two customer service representatives I spoke to. I had followed the instructions and emailed support@legalshieldcorp.com as advised and did not receive a confirmation that it was received. This was also sent to the CEO of LegalShield Jeff Bell. My email software shows it was opened 15 times but here we are nearly two days later and no response.

At this point in time after the runaround, poorly trained customer service staff, poor overall communication when attempting to cancel the membership I do not plan on doing business with this company. I hope this review helps change the culture to be more customer service-centric. I plan to dispute the charge with my bank if I do not receive any type of communication with this company. This of course is just my experience and hopefully, yours will be better.

LegalShield response

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

I'm an Etsy seller who received automated trademark infringements. I sell replacement products and products that work with other branded products. This is generally protected through nominative fair use. The first attorney I spoke to said it's not part of my plan to have him look at my online shop. He refused to even look at my advertisement/product. He hung up on me when I asked to clarify what he wanted me to do. The second lawyer I spoke to, looked at my shop and said 'absolutely infringement' and to stop selling because 'I make money off it'. This lawyer has no idea what normative fair use is. I ended up getting a local intellectual property attorney in my area. She ended up having the company remove all their infringement notices and white listing my online store.

The card I used for LegalShield payments was canceled due to fraud. Somehow LegalShield started charging the new card that was sent to me. I looked up how to cancel membership and called the number provided. After waiting on hold, lady said 'no problem.' To cancel, 'let me put you on hold so I get all the information for you.' Pretty much you call a number, wait on hold, then have a robot tell you to email them with your member id and write 'cancel'. The people I spoke to who were NOT attorneys were nice and reasonable. Their attorneys treat you as if you're not worth their time.

LegalShield response

LegalShield aims to provide the best customer service possible, and for our attorneys to provide members with the most successful outcome for their legal matters while adhering to the benefits provided with the membership. While we do not play a role in the administering of legal services, we do hold our provider law firms accountable to service level agreements (SLA’s) that are mutually agreed upon by LegalShield and the provider law firms. We provide our members with resources to let us know if their provider law firm is not meeting those SLAs and will work to remediate any issues related to those SLA’s. Thank you for this important feedback.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

I was in a situation where my family attorney couldn’t help me fast enough. A friend referred me to LS, and they saved me from being taken advantage of by an insurance company. My family and my company have saved THOUSANDS of dollars by calling Legalshield to help us know what we should or shouldn’t do, etc. Where my phone goes, my law firm goes. This service can’t be beat. I don’t always get the answer I want to hear, but I’m thankful it didn’t cost me an arm and a leg to find out. Thank you legalshield!

LegalShield response

You are welcome! Thank you for sharing your valuable experience with us. We are so pleased to hear you are using your membership and benefits for your legal needs.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2021

I used Legalshield for about 4 months and was disappointed to say the least. Their responsiveness was very slow and often you get bounced around to different legal providers and the follow up is poor. When I tried to cancel my services, they gave me the run around as well which was not shocking. You can't cancel online, so I've spent several days trying to get ahold of someone on the phone to cancel. I am so frustrated that I'm to the point of just reporting it as fraud to my credit company. Don't waste your money!

LegalShield response

The legal system requires every law firm to perform a conflict check. Ethically a law firm cannot represent a client if they have previously represented the adverse party. Unlike other subscription services like Spotify and Netflix, LegalShield requires cancellation requests to be submitted in writing. We must ensure that the person requesting cancellation is authorized to do so. We do this to protect members as upcoming legal situations can cause individuals in the same household (and on the same membership) to take actions that may not be in the best interest of everyone involved.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2021

I joined Legal Shield last year and only decided to use the service In August. My issue involved appealing a denial of public record request in Idaho. I was out in contact with my provider law firm Kival & Howard out of Portland. The experience was unpleasant to say the least when speaking to the legal shield intake. Specialist at the law firm I was insulted the person lacked professionalism and had a very poor attitude he only listens to a quarter of my statement and when I asked him to read back what he took down he let slip the derogatory remark he wrote down about me

Also when someone says continuous A hum before you even say two words it signals A genuine indifference. I filed a complaint against this person but was never satisfied and never got word of the resolution in-fact I am certain he is still there handling calls. Complaints on the web show this person never is properly disciplined because he is always there to make someone else feel small later on. Beside this insult the provider law said they Would need a cash deposit of 3-5 grand to file some paperwork for my records inquest denial. It only cost 100 bucks to file this document with the court clerk…I asked about the legal shield membership discount and was told that the 3-5 grand was with 25% membership discount. I also had the 35.00 a month membership. Fast forward I decide to cancel the service cause it don’t provide any real benefits to me and my experience was lack luster.

I am told I have to send a letter to the main office or send email requesting cancellation Or fax my cancellation notice with information proving who I am…K seems simple enough to send email so I sent an email telling I want to cancel and email comes back undeliverable due to domain does not exist thinking I could have made mistake I contacted members services. For the second time to confirm the correct spelling of the support@legalsheildcorp.com address I sent another email to cancel and it came back again undeliverable.

It’s at that time it became simple to see that there is no legitimate email cancellation option. And the company is very good at making in so arduous to cancel the service. You may have to actually sue them to do so….Anyhow be smart, study law and go to the court clerk yourself, save money and avoid a service that is better at taking money more reliably That it can provide a beneficial service to anyone. Thanks and don’t get worked over

LegalShield response

This is a really important point about LegalShield. LegalShield manages our member's subscriptions to our legal and IDShield plans. Our network of provider law firms administers the legal plan benefits to legal plan members. While we do not play a role in the administering of legal services, we do hold our provider law firms accountable to service level agreements (SLA’s) that are mutually agreed upon by LegalShield and the provider law firms. We provide our members with resources to let us know if their provider law firm is not meeting those SLAs and will work to remediate any issues related to those SLA’s. Thank you for this important feedback.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

It's so funny that this service can call themselves LegalShield and be doing nothing but stealing folks money. They promise a few different service items and after months and months of paying for the service they refuse to provide the service and they just refer you to pay a lawyer several hundred dollars per hour after the discount to actually think about helping you with your issue. And when you sign up they tell you they will issue a refund if you're not satisfied but they will only give you pennies if anything at all for the remaining days of the month.

It is absolutely disgusting that these people are lurking to kick you when you're down. After all you already have a legal matter you desperately need help on and they take that desperation as an opportunity to steal money from you. It's sick. They will only let you talk to a person on the phone once a month. As it turns out the person they let you speak to for legal advice is not even a lawyer. They are supposed to provide a demand letter. They won't do that. They are supposed to review documents. They won't do it. Just look for a lawyer you can afford if you really need one because this service is a complete joke.

LegalShield response

The legal system requires every law firm to perform a conflict check. Ethically a law firm cannot represent a client if they have previously represented the adverse party. Therefore a referral is made for the member. Our service provides a covered contract of benefits and a discount for other matters. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I have been a member of Legal Shield since 2005 (over 15 years). I was an executive director for the company that used Parker Stanbury as their primary law firm. I ran one of 2 business briefings in all of San Diego promoting Legal Shield. I say all that to say I've been here longer than most of the attorneys on staff. I have had very good experiences with Parker Stanbury (provider firm in California) but as soon as Harland Stoncipher passed away (2014) and Legal shield was sold (2018), the customer service has been absolutely horrible. It's not worth the money or the headache. I urge everyone to cancel their membership until Parker Stanbury is fired. I've complained over and over about them and Legal Shield does nothing but apologizes. Legal Shield has become as bad as Parker Stanbury. They quite literally don't care and no remedies ever happen.

I finally just canceled my membership. I have had issue after issue with Parker Stanbury. They are the most arrogant and uppity law firm I've ever dealt with. Absolutely rude and condescending! I've had attorneys hang up on me. I've had to argue with emotional and irrational attorneys trying to give me their subjective opinion when what I was asking for is what the law actually says. I've had many lazy attorneys I could tell were completely guessing. It goes on and on with how many bad experiences I've had with Parker Stanbury. This is the last law firm I'd trust with anything important. Their work ethic and integrity are questionable at best. They don't care about their clients and treat us like we are bothering them (as you can tell by many of the reviews they receive).

LegalShield response

Original review: Aug. 31, 2021

I have been a LegalShield client for over 5 years. In the past I have not had any issues with attorneys calling me back within 24 hours. I had to have them make a change in my will that I had them do. Who is a minor change of the name of a beneficiary on one page of 1 document. Literally less than five minutes' worth of work. I have had to call them three times over the past week after not receiving any response whatsoever from them. This is totally unacceptable in a digital age. I am going to cancel my service with them and go with one of their competitors. I recommend that you DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY, AND look at alternatives to LegalShield.

Hello Alan,

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Big scam. They employ 5th rate lawyers that can’t pull their pull their weight and are useless. They can’t write a simple letter and do nothing but refer you to a private lawyer after giving you useless advice. After I complained they promised to refund 6 months of their useless service and I only got 3. Liars. AVOID THIS OUTFIT AT ALL COSTS AND SEEK A LEGIT AND HONEST COMPANY INSTEAD OF GETTING RIPPED OFF BY THESE USELESS LIARS.

Hello Larry,

The legal system requires every law firm to perform a conflict check. Ethically a law firm cannot represent a client if they have previously represented the adverse party. Therefore a referral is made. This is a really important point about LegalShield. LegalShield manages our member's subscriptions to our legal and IDShield plans. Our network of provider law firms administers the legal plan benefits to legal plan members. While we do not play a role in the administering of legal services, we do hold our provider law firms accountable to service level agreements (SLA’s) that are mutually agreed upon by LegalShield and the provider law firms. We provide our members with resources to let us know if their provider law firm is not meeting those SLA’s and will work to remediate any issues related to those SLA’s.We hate to hear you were not satisfied with your membership. Thanks!

LegalShield Company Information

1972
    Formerly Named:
    Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc.
    1 Prepaid Way