Selip and Stylianou, LLP

Compare Legal Services

Research top Legal Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

In 2007 this company then known as Cohen & Slamowitz got a default judgment against me for the creditor, Discover Bank. They proceeded to freeze my account and garnish 10% of my wages with my employer till the judgment was paid off either in 2008 or 2009. It is now almost the end of 2015, I am attempting to get a loan remodification for my home and I am being told that the lien was never removed by this company after they received payment on the judgment. By their negligence my credit rating for at least 6 to 7 years has been negatively impacted and it is now delaying the process of my loan remodification. They have collected, they need to do right by me and remove the lien and repair the damage to my credit rating as required by the law.

They are not forthcoming or honest when working with clients. They are bullies and let you know verbatim that they don't care about your other bills. They will tell you that you have a certain "grace period" to pay a bill beyond its due date but will then turn around and send your debt to the City Marshal if you're even a day late. After dealing with them, I found they have been sued in the past under the company name Cohen & Slamowitz. I'm not surprised.

I received a letter to garnish my paycheck on May 22, 2015. I was confused because in the letter there was a claim from the sheriff department of a judgement for $2,0000 of which I never received a summons to appear in court. The card in question was issued in 1995. As far as my knowledge there is no Providian Bank, I just recently started working and I received this letter of garnishment from my Employer. This is a hardship because they are claiming that they are taking 10% of my earnings. Please help in this matter. Is this even legal? Thank you.

Was sued. Firm had ZERO proof so they had no legal ground to sue me in the first place. Hugely stressful. Did much research - working in law for 15 years gave me leverage - attended a legal clinic for advice, and filed my papers. That advice, PLUS the fact that the debt was indeed beyond statute of limitations, got my case thrown out. Fought it tooth and nail, even despite the fact that I am destitute. Having worked and suffered from abuse from lawyers while working as a secretary, cannot tell you the satisfaction of playing my own before a judge.

This lawyers office has destroyed my credit rating! I have wrote to them several time that the items of billing they have sent me "Are NOT Mine". Yet they continue to harass me and continue sending me bills on accounts that I had nothing to do with. There are several Alice ** in my area. NO stars for this law office!! When they do call (and I answer their call by mistake) they are very rude and have very nasty attitudes!! Also this lawyers office is affiliated with Midland Funding LLC. This company is even worse--if that's possible!! The number C&S File no. **, index no **. This account is not mine. It was my mother's (Agnes **) and I told this company she passed away MAY OF 2013. I NEED HELP TO CLEAR MY CREDIT REPORT.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Selip and Stylianou, LLP?

If you get a legal notice from these guys watch out. Tips to avoid their traps: Never take their call. Set up another line for yourself and put the line they are calling on to a fax machine. Never answer their summons. Why spend the time and money? Are you guilty? Remove all possessions from your safe deposit boxes, they will freeze it. Set up two or three checking accounts and do not have more than $2700 in any one bank. If you have any money or accounts with more than $2700, close them out and put the money under your mattress. Do not sign for any certified mail. (They can serve you anyway, why provide them with your signature?) If they get a judgment you will have a lien on your house. They will get an Income Execution and you will get a letter from the Sheriff saying "pay up or face the gallows!" File for either Chapter 13 or 7 Bankruptcy before they grab 10% of your salary.

I received a motion for judgment from Cohen & Slamowitz on 12/17/13 for a court date of 1/17/14. Then I received another letter stating court date was moved to 1/27/14 which I appeared in person in front of a Judge **. Since I didn't file a response he gave me and another person, an extension until 2/24/14. He sent us to the 9th floor (White Plains Court) to get the papers and the assistant advised the papers had to be in by 2/17/14 the latest, which I did e-file on 2/17/14. To my horror and surprise I received a letter on 2/18/14 that this judge had rendered a decision on 2/11/14 to Cohen & Slamowitz for $6384.77. How can a judge render a decision before the court date? What should I do now?

I want to know why is the Law Office of Cohen Slamowitz LLP still taking out money from my check? They said I only have a balance of $25.76 and they took out the last payment $17.75 and my check says they took out $29.49? How could they take out $29.49 out of $25.76 and give me a balance of $21.00? That should be finish, right? What kind of lie is this and that was for 11/30/2012? Now my balance is $21.00 and again they took out from my check $28.40. How on earth could they take out $28.40 out of $25.76 and give me a balance of $21.00? Now I know they are crazy.

First, they said that I only owe $1,336.55. Then they said that I owe $1,680.00. And now they got me for $1,945.03. When is this going to end? This must stop and please stop playing with my money. Every time I go to your site, it’s saying that it’s a fraud site and now I believe it. This Law Office of Cohen Slamowitz never sent me any letter saying that they were going to garnish me. For some reason, my job is sending them the payments that I don’t even know about. I don’t have any problem with money debt. I don’t owe anyone. I need help with this problem. I need an attorney to get in contact with me.

I live outside the US, but I have a checking account in the US for my SSI payments. I received a notice from my bank about a garnishment order from a court filed by Cohen & Slamowitz LLP (NJ office), who are representing RAB Performance Recoveries, LLC.

I called the customer service to find out what the garnishment represented, but the person who answered the phone was extremely rude and demanded my SS number if I wanted to discuss the matter. I refused to give it to him and offered my name. I was told that was unacceptable. He was trying to be professional with me and then proceeded to disconnect the call! How can they obtain a garnishment order when they never contacted me to begin with? I searched for a website/contact details for RAB Performance, and they don't seem to exist, other than the complaints lodged against them.

I was issued a Providian credit card with a $500.00 credit limit back in the late 90's. The card was never used, but Providian kept charging me for insurance and other fees. Eventually, the card's $500 limit was assumed by fees. I disputed the card and never heard anything until 2006, when Cohen & Slamowitz purchased the debt. Now, the bill went from $500 to $2,598.15, again disputed the bill. Now, it’s March of 2012, the judgment is for $3,886.48. I called them and offered them a settlement for the original $500.00. They said they would take $2,995.00. I told them no! Now, my accounts will be frozen again and will be harassed all over again!

I set up a payment schedule for the 15th of each month to pay off a Capital One account. I called on the 14th and spoke with Angela **, who took my debit information. I told her my due date was on the 15th and that I didn't want my account accessed until then. She stated that it would not be paid until the 15th and it would not be a problem. Later that night, my husband was doing some banking online and noticed that Cohen and Slamowitz ran my debit card while I was on the phone with them. They didn't even wait for me to hand up the phone. They lied to me the whole time.

My bank account was frozen Federal SS money - I do not owe these frauds any money and they froze my bank account and the money in there was SS federal money. I am 71 years old and I have no idea what they are talking about.

I am getting phone calls from Cohen and Slamowitz at 1866-542-8950 stating that I owe $2,471.18 to HSBC bank. They said I should speak to Alicia **? I did call and spoke to a person and told them I don't owe money to anyone. They want my SS number. I am not giving my SS number to anyone on the phone that I don't know.

I asked them to stop calling and they said they would take my phone number off the list. They are still calling me and I would like to know how I can get them to stop calling my home. I hope you can help me.

company continuously called my job.sent false supposes to home.harassment tactics and rude on telephone

On more than one occasion I have been receiving calls from the above-mentioned law firm requesting information from me, my address and not identifying the nature of the call. Today I spoke with Josh **. I did tell him my number when he said that he represented a collection agency. I specifically told him that I don't have outstanding balances and if I was referred to collection, why I did not receive a notification with the name of the agency. He refused to give me details and was persistently asking my date of birth. I told him to stop calling my number and harassing me.

On May 28, 2009, I received a letter from this office about a Sears credit card debt. This account was transferred to Cohen and Slamowitz from Midland Funding LLC, DBA in New York as Midland Funding of Delaware LLC, another debt collector who was impossible to deal with. When I received the letter, I called and spoke to a Mr. **. I explained to him how I tried on numerous occasions to try and work something out with the other debt collectors and they were very rude and wouldn't even let me get a word in.

Mr. ** then advised me to write a letter of hardship and mail it to them. I did. Shortly after, on June 9, 2009, I received a letter from Cohen and Slamowitz stating that they were authorized by their client to commence a lawsuit against me. Shortly after that, I received what looked like a summons. I did not answer it because I thought it was a scare tactic. It is now January of 2011 and they are still sending me letters to pay this debt. I am in no way able to pay that amount of money. I am perfectly willing to pay the bill, but I could only send a specific amount every month. My credit is messed up, thanks to my husband, and they are not the only ones that I am dealing with. I have settled with other credit cards for which my name owes a lot more money than this account.

After receiving this letter that looked like it was a summons to court, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't eat, my stomach was always in a knot. I argued with my husband. I expected my check to be garnished and I was very concerned how I was going to make my other bills if that happened. Obviously, that was not a summons from court because now it's been one year and half and my check is not being garnished. Thank God! These people should not be able to get away with this. This is wrong to do to a person who is willing to pay.

On 6/23/10att 10:14 am, I spoke directly to a Mr. S. concerning a judgment on my Experian credit report. He informed me that I paid it off in full and that I should have received a satisfactory of settled, paid in full on this account. He offered to send it again along with a UDF (Universal Delete Form) so that I could send to the credit agency to have it deleted from my report.

He verified my address and said it would go out within 10 days. However, this was never received and it's still on my credit report as pending judgement. The Albany, NY clerks office has it pending as well and cannot take it off until a letter is submitted on my behalf as settled. Their NYC DCA License No. is 1160860. Please advise. This derogatory mark is preventing me from obtaining any loans, credit score is low due to this and I cannot pursue a pre-qualification form in order to purchase a home. I have paid my debt and I now want the UDF that was promised to me.

I had a debt from a previous business (Consolidated Edison/portfolio recovery associates LLC). The law offices of Cohen & Slamowitz is representing this company. My starting balance was $ 6865.51, with a schedule payments $314.00/month. 3/27/2009 was my monthly first payment and I have continued to make payments. I only missed June 09 & July. I have proof of payment. They received my last payment on 2/23/2010 and my next one will be due next week on 3/22/10.

Right now, my account went down to $3,855.40, almost 50% in a year. Today, I received a restraining notice. They want either an 80% lump sum payment of $3,084.32 by 4/7/2010 or I have to fill out a subpoena questionnaire which asks many confidential questions regarding my mortgage, bank accounts, spouse. I am very scared because I don't want to lose my property and I don't want them to hold my bank accounts. There is no reason why they want the whole amount. I can't afford it. I would really appreciate it if you can review my case, either for me to continue making the same monthly payments as of now of $314 or they should lower it to $214 a month. I am a hard working man with many monthly bills and also willing to pay off all my debts. I never refusde to pay them. Thank you.

I had been a client of a consolidated program. I was told that Cohen & Slamowitz would not settle. So they, the consolidated program, sent me back my accumulated money and suggested I deal with them directly. I called in April 2009 and gave my information. A young lady (which I have info jotted down) let me know that I was not in their system, to call back later in the year or so. I know that they want their money and I am trying to make amends. Today when I called for my bank balance, I am overdrawn about 1,000.00 dollars. My bank states from Cohen & Slamowitz. They claim sending me mail to an address I haven't lived at in at least 5 years.

If they went through my recently left consolidated program, they would have my new residence. Instead, they stated they never got any mail returned and yet I have always had my mail wherever I move to forward. I never received anything. They claimed someone spoke to me 3 times. I never, just for that one time I made the call to them, ever spoken to no one at their office. I am on temporary disability because of a car wreck where I am in a cast from my injuries, my car was totaled and I received compensation. How convenient that they freeze my account and leave me overdrawn. When I tried to find them, they don't see me. But now they want so much more, unfair to leave me high and dry in my situation without giving me my due chance.

The company keeps calling me in reference to a Marcus S. I have spoken to a representative on 3 occasions, September 3, October 16, and September 4 2009 and informed them that I do not know this person and to please stop calling my phone and leaving messages. When I speak to the representatives they assure me that the number will be removed, but I am still receiving phone calls. Harrassment by a bill collector for a bill that is not mine. And although I continue to inform them that the person is not known by me they continue to call.

Back in 2004 I received a Visa cc. I had for approximately 2 months when I was granted an increase just like that. I went on vacation and purchased a mother's day gift and promptly paid off the bill. Imagine my surprise when I received a bill from said cc company stating I owed them $500 plus! Impossible! I was contacted at my job several times and each time I told the rep that I already paid off bill to no avail. They threatened to talk to my payroll manager and have my accounts frozen.

Recently, they have enlisted the aid of Cohen and Slamowitz who have bombarded me with letters and now most recent an information subpoena. I don't owe this company anything. I just want Cohen and Slamowitz to leave me in peace. The only consequence is that they have sent this information subpoena. They haven't touched any accounts but I am writing this in the hopes that this will prevent that from happening.

We are in bankruptcy, awaiting court date; and they continue to call every two days. I tell them every time our attorney's name, and they continue to harass and will not stop calling.

In 2002, I separated from my husband. I had no income for 2 months. Then, my 2 kids and I had to live on public assistance for over a year waiting for SSI to start. I had a Providian credit card with a $2,000 limit. When I told them my problem, they quit contacting me. Then, out of the blue in 2007, I had a $5,000.00+ overdraft on my checking account. And that's when the harassment from Cohen & Slamowitz began.

never served got a judgment and then on another case did not provide verification under FDCPA and went forward anyways. Numerous days of work lost fighting an old debt that expired and now one that is incorrect that i am fighting now.

Several years ago, I closed an account with FCNB, paying it in full. In 2003, FCNB closed and Midland Credit Management took over their accounts. Last year in June of 2007, I received notification from Cohen & Slamowitz of a debtor judgment against me from Midland Credit.

I spoke with a Ms. K. Savino, who was very nasty with me and indicated the City of New York Marshal's office was about to serve me with a restraining order against my paycheck as a New York City employee. I immediately made one payment but demanded to see exactly what bill they were talking about. After checking my records I found that I had indeed paid the FCNB account and informed Cohen & Slamowitz of this matter.

I wrote them a letter pursuant to the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, 15 USC disputing their claim and requested validation. Instead of responding, what they did this past Thursday was place a restraining order on my wife, Ana Lawton and my son, LaRoi Lawton, whose name is the same as mine, on their joint account, thinking the account was mine. This has since been rectified by Citibank, which is allegedly sending a letter of apology to my wife and son. But today, I now have the same restraining order placed on my checking account with Commerce Bank. Indeed several payments to creditors have now bounced because of their action and I now stand to lose my employment over this matter as well as a bad credit rating over this matter.

The office of Cohen & Slamowitz, LLP have been send threating letter and making threating phone calls to my home for a credit card account that they claim has been under their client Midland Funding LLc. I have never had an account with either of these companies and that i did not sign nor am I obligated in any way shape or form to owe any monies to their company, but they continue to harass me.

the damage resulted in my credit report and score being affected and myself of becoming very depressed about the entire ordeal.

On Thursday, March 20th 2008 I learned that all my bank accounts had been frozen by Cohen & Slamowitz claiming that I owe $10,000 to Citibank which is false and of which I can prove. Since November2005 I have received harrassing phone calls to my home, work as well as family members being contacted by this company. They are extremely rude and highly unprofessional.

It is always a different person that I speak to. They scream and yell as soon as you ask a question. I paid Citibank all that I owed in 2003 and I have a copy of the cashed check to prove it. I even have fax confirmation pages that I've sent to more than 10 people at this company. the last contact was in 2007 from Ed Piard. I explained the harrassment in the past and that I had all paperwork to prove that I owe nothing. He asked that I fax him my papers and an investigation would ensue. Since then I had left countless messages to follow up on his findings only to always get his voice mail and never once a return call.

Weeks turned into months. I thought it had just gone away until Thursday the 20th when I learned that there was a levy placed on my accounts. My bank told me all they could give me was an attorneys name and number for me to deal with. This was no attorny but the company Cohen & Slamowitz.

Each time I call I get a different rude person answering by just saying hello as if I called someone's home not a place of business. Immediately ask for your ss# and when I told them I wasn't comfortable with giving my social and get they verify by me giving any other info. I was yelled at and told well we already know everything and have freezed all your accounts and if you call back today or tomorrow you'll be told the same thing so it's up to you. I thought I'd call back and get someone new and try again. Eventually I got someone who left me on hold for a long time only to transfer to a voice mail with no warning. I am being wronfully pursued and harrassed for a debt that I do not owe. This company demonstrates extreme negative actions that amount to being misleading, unfair, untrue, abusive and violates the Fair Debt Collection Practices.

I spoken to Ms Beverly on 11/28/07 and we agreed on a settlement amount of $663.65 to satisfy my debt to the credit card company I overnighted that amount on 12/10/07 that same day I was served with a summons I called that same day concerned she told me just pay it that there would bo no problem well since then I have recieve to other summons for a slight ly different amount one was recieved on 12/31/07 and another on 1/3/08 wich states that Im in defaul for amount shown and I wrote them a letter sent them copys of the letter of settlement I recieved on 12/14/07 but I'm wondering why they keep sending me these summons I want them to stop I feel it's getting to the point were they are harassing me and Im very angry I feel like they just are looking for a way to get more money out of me that I dont have.

My wife spoke to ms.Louis serval times regarding the matter that the Company stop my weekly payroll check in order to collect there money. my wife fax over copies of my pay stubs and agreed the we are willing to pay the debt but that they need to realease the lien because i have three children and need to pay my rent. and she said it ok if we paid $1000.00. and the monthly payments of $240.

but today 8/14/07 a week later my bank is still retaining my money.my wife called Ms.Louis so that we can negotiate the amount and make smaller payment because the monthly amount is to high and she told her that i had to pay and refuse to tell her the principal amount that was owed without interest and that there wasn't going to be any negotion she was sending a marshal.

I haven't been able to pay my rent and other bills i need help and for this to be settle.

I am currently experincing a hard time with my credit

I am in debt to a credit card and I am being sued for the amount owed. I am willing to make payments to settle my debit, but like any person I had questions.

I was told I had no other choice but to pay 30% of the amount owed. When I knew differently, I started to questions why this company was not on my credit report I was told I should be grateful. I was treated like dirt spoken to with no professionalism and talk down on like I was dirt!

Selip and Stylianou, LLP Company Profile