LegalZoom

4.6/5 (563 ratings)

About LegalZoom Reviews

LegalZoom provides legal help to individuals, families, and small businesses through their do-it-yourself platform and independent network of attorneys. They empower millions of people in growing their business, caring for their families, and protecting their ideas.

Pros

• 60-day satisfaction guarantee
  • Experienced attorneys
  • Affordable packages

Cons

• Some services can be pricey
  • Not ideal for complex legal cases

Bottom Line

LegalZoom has services starting as low as $79 and is an affordable way to start a business, get incorporated or start a living trust. Small business owners and families can receive ongoing legal advice for a low monthly fee.

Top LegalZoom Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I didn't have time to go through an attorney and I figured it would be easier going through LegalZoom... They did all the paperwork for the LLC and everything went great. They wer...

Verified

I checked out LegalZoom and went with them to get my will and a directive. I've also done a quitclaim through them. Using the service was easy and fast. It was inexpensive as well...

LegalZoom services

LegalZoom provides legal assistance to individuals and small businesses on everything from filing for 501(c)(3) status to creating a last will and testament.

When signing up for LegalZoom, the company asks for some information about you or your business. LegalZoom then suggests services, which allows you to pick the best package for your needs.

LegalZoom offers many services geared toward small businesses, but it also provides legal services to individuals and families. Customers looking to file for divorce, register a trademark or create a trust, for example, can schedule a call with an attorney to get professional documents created.

LegalZoom can help you with:

• Estate planning
  • Contract and agreements
  • Attorney-prepared documents
  • Personal consultation

LegalZoom lawyers

LegalZoom’s attorneys must meet specific eligibility requirements to ensure customers are getting sound legal advice. LegalZoom looks for attorneys with five or more years of experience who are in good standing and have no public discipline records in their licensed state.

LegalZoom LLC and small business services

LegalZoom’s independent licensed professionals provide advice and guidance on naming and starting a business, including:

• Limited liability companies (LLC)
  • Incorporations (C-corp and S-corp)
  • Doing business as (DBA)
  • Nonprofits
  • Sole proprietorships

The “Help Me Decide” function on the LegalZoom website lets you know which business structure is right for you with nine quick questions. From there, you can go through the company’s six-step process to form your business.

The process includes searching for your desired business name, providing a business description, selecting essential services, speaking with a legal or tax advisor about an employer identification number (EIN), obtaining licenses and permits and paying for their chosen services.

LegalZoom price

The most popular LegalZoom packages start at $79 before filing fees. This includes starting a corporation or filing a patent application. Below is a list of LegalZoom’s most popular services and their fees:

ServicesStarting cost
Limited liability company (LLC)$79 (plus filing fees)
Doing business as$99 (plus state filing fees)
Incorporation (C-corp and S-corp)$149 (plus state filing fees)
Last will and testament$179
Trademark registration$199 (plus federal filing fees)

LegalZoom’s 100% satisfaction guarantee means you can get a refund or credit, minus filing fees or taxes, within 60 days if you’re not fully satisfied with your purchase.

LegalZoom plans and membership

LegalZoom also provides prepaid legal plans that include a 30-minute consultation with an attorney for business or personal needs. These legal plans, the Business Advisory Plan and Legal Advantage Plus, are offered on a six-month or one-year basis with a monthly subscription fee.

• Legal Advantage Plus: Legal Advantage Plus service starts at $9.99 per month and is best for individuals looking to discuss living trusts, child support, legal agreements or duties related to compensation.
  • Business Advisory Plan: The Business Advisory plan starts at $31.25 a month and lets small businesses talk to an attorney to get advice on copyrights and taxes or forming their business and creating contracts.

LegalZoom FAQ

Are LegalZoom documents legal?
LegalZoom works with licensed attorneys and tax professionals with more than five years of experience. Its lawyers’ experience ensures that LegalZoom documents are legal and in compliance with federal and state laws.
Can I get a refund from LegalZoom?
If you’re not satisfied for whatever reason, LegalZoom offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Within 60 days of purchase, you can get a refund or credit on the price of services.
Will LegalZoom hold up in court?
Yes. LegalZoom documents will hold up in court, but state and federal laws are subject to change.
Why is LegalZoom so expensive?
LegalZoom’s prices aren’t necessarily expensive compared to the market rate. On average, independent attorneys and legal professionals charge an hourly rate between $100 and $400. Instead of charging per hour, LegalZoom uses a flat fee structure to provide small businesses and individuals with affordable legal services. Most packages and services also have state or federal filing fees, which are required by law.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

Working with Rob was great. I have been looking forward to starting my own business for some time. However, was not looking forward to the startup process, feeling it would be a hassle. I have a management degree in paralegal studies so I had gathered some of the needed documents to form an LLC and was about to get started but still was not excited about it. I was also a bit pressed for time so I decided to see what Legal Zoom had to offer.

The pricing seemed reasonable considering the amount of work I knew I had ahead of me doing it on my own. I began talking to Rob. I was very impressed with Rob's knowledge of Legal Zoom's products and services as well as his professionalism and patience. Working with Rob, we were able to quickly step through the process of forming a new LLC, along with establishing a registered agent for the new business. Along the way, Rob was able to answer literally every question asked by a paralegal starting a consulting/management firm.

My particular business model will require the intensive use of legal forms and documents. I was not really thrilled about this aspect of my business plan even with the training and knowledge needed to navigate and utilized required legal documents. However, with Legal Zoom I now have easy access to most all of to legal forms I will need as well as a full array of legal support services. I am so excited to move forward with my new business now and can't believe I have been putting this off. It was so easy. I look forward to partnering with Legal Zoom moving forward. Thank you so much.

Sean **,

Uriah Enterprises LLC

LegalZoom response

Thanks for making our day a little brighter, Sean! We are huge fans of Rob too and we'll be sure to pass along your feedback to him directly. Congratulations on making it official and thank you for being a LegalZoom customer.

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2021

I needed to obtain a last minute Operating Agreement for my LLC in order to close a loan. I used LegalZoom and set up an expedited order. However, I found out that I would need the document even sooner than what the expedited order would allow. I called and spoke with Jamison LegalZoom and explained the issue, hoping I could just cancel my order for a full refund (as I had found a local attorney who could help). Although Jamison was unable to cancel my order due to the fact it was already almost completed, he was able to come up with an alternate resolution instead. He put an additional rush on my order and obtained approval for him to send me electronic copies of the finalized document once it was complete. Although the hard copies won't be to me in time, the bank will accept the electronic version and I can close the loan, as needed. Thank you again!

LegalZoom response

That’s awesome news, Michael! We're so glad Jamison was able to deliver for you so we didn't prevent your loan from closing. We'll be sure to pass along this feedback to him directly to acknowledge a job well done. Thanks for taking the time to share your review and thanks for being a LegalZoom customer.

Original review: July 2, 2021

They did everything they said they were going to do so far. The majority of the people I interacted with were extremely courteous and professional. Guy Jen that I spoke with today was particularly impressionable. He had a very nice sense of humor which can make your day if you’re having a stressful one. I’ve chose the full service package. They did everything including having them call you to set up your bank account. They send you a company. It’s a separate charge to do the publishing of your company which can be tedious. I did it myself with a previous company so it was a one stop shop.

They actually have a payment plan that they can take your payment in three parts. They have a $39.99 legal support that you can use monthly. I have not needed to use mine yet but Better safe than sorry. Their price is really good. I am very happy. Nothing is perfect but they were pretty close to perfect in this instance again. This is for right now. I still have a relationship with them for that legal thing that you paid 3999 for every month. Hopefully they will remain to be as reliable as they have been so far.

LegalZoom response

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, Victoria. We’re happy we've met your expectations thus far, and we’ll do our best to continue to do so. Thanks for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: June 2, 2021

LegalZoom registered an LLC for me. Everything was done online and professionally. I got all the copies of the paperwork and I already started to use the system where you can log in your minutes of the corporation. So, that is going good. But they are trying to get my EIN number and it has taken more than a month. I need to get that EIN so I can make contact with my suppliers. I also can't move my bank account without that EIN number. They were having some challenges because I'm not an American, so I don't have a Social Security number and not everybody's familiar with the process of applying for the EIN with a foreign business owner.

I called yesterday and they were supposed to send me an email confirming that they sent the SSS form to the IRS. But I haven't seen the email yet. I've been going around for the last 30 to 40 days trying to solve this issue and the process is very slow. But except for this, everything else about their service was good. They listened to me, tried to assess if they couldn't help with that particular issue, and tried to put me on to somebody who could.

LegalZoom response

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, Rovert. If any other assistance is needed, please email us at socialmediaoutreach@legalzoom.com and we'll get you connected with someone who can help.

Original review: May 23, 2021

I used LegalZoom for another LLC. I did go to the Secretary of State website and you had to print out all these things and fill it out. I didn't know how to do it nor that I know what the legal terms meant. The process for LegalZoom made it easy. They asked me the correct questions and I was able to fill out basic questions without having all the attorney jargons to go with it. It made the process so much easier, just going through that website and completing the information.

The timing was also very quick. It was quicker the first time but I'm assuming because of the pandemic, a lot of people started to open their own business so I can understand the timeframe. Having a payment plan was also a great option because it allows you to go ahead and start something without having to wait. It’s an excellent feature that LegalZoom has. I would definitely recommend them to friends because of the ease of process and not having to worry about it. This is my second one with LegalZoom and I haven't had any issues from my first one. It's been almost three years so I'm gonna assume that everything was done correctly based off of that.

LegalZoom response

Thank you for continuing to look to us for your business needs, Indi. We pride ourselves on making the formation process less complicated and easy to navigate and we appreciate you for sharing your review here.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I've used LegalZoom before. While I could go through the process less expensively alone - it's worth the money to do it with them. They make it SO easy! Badaboom - Badabing! I did have to be careful as I was offered more and more 'amenities' so to speak. Some features were not necessary. But overall I'm happy with Legal Zoom once again!

LegalZoom response

We're happy to hear that we've been able to meet your expectations, Gillian, and we'll continue to do so moving forward. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: May 9, 2022

I had the pleasure of having Sheila assist me with my resin business and after the conversation I felt like I gained a friend as well as great services from Legal Zoom. Everything I was uncertain about has been put to ease. Excited to start my new business with them.

LegalZoom response

We're always here to help, Latasha, so we're glad to hear that Sheila was able to take care of things for you. We're excited for you and your new business as well. Congratulations on making it official!

Original review: May 8, 2022

There were no issues, no hard sells just great customer service with clear responses. I'd been trying to decide whether or not to use the service and once I got started it was so easy. I completed everything in no time. Thanks so much for the support.

LegalZoom response

We pride ourselves on great customer service so we're glad to hear that we were able to deliver for you, Calvin. We truly appreciate you for sharing your feedback here. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer and congratulations on making it official!

Original review: May 8, 2022

I was extremely pleased with the way Nicole handled my questions. As the president of a new company, I am certain that my needs will be met. I will shortly be using Legal Zoom to produce copies of shares to present to investors.

LegalZoom response

We're glad Nicole was able to meet your expectations, Robert, and we'll be sure to pass along your feedback to her directly. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer and good luck with the new business!

Original review: May 7, 2022

Legal Zoom is good. I am doing my Living Trust. I only wish they would notify me when revisions are done. They used to. Their instructions as to what goes in each category need expansion. They do have attorneys who will give you 1/2 hour for free to look the documents over, IF you email them to that person; LZ doesn't. Employees are very patient and helpful.

LegalZoom response

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, Catherine, and for choosing LegalZoom! We'll be sure to pass it along to the appropriate department to ensure the items mentioned are being reviewed so we can provide a better customer experience to all of our customers.

LegalZoom Company Information