3.6(2,625)

About LegalZoom

LegalZoom provides legal help to individuals, families, and small businesses through their do-it-yourself platform and independent network of attorneys. They empower millions of people in growing their business, caring for their families, and protecting their ideas.

Pros & Cons

Pros
  • 60-day satisfaction guarantee
  • Experienced attorneys
  • Affordable packages
Cons
  • Some services can be pricey
  • Not ideal for complex legal cases

Featured Reviews

Verified
Ville Platte, LA

I didn't have time to go through an attorney and I figured it would be easier going through LegalZoom... They did all the paperwork for the LLC and everything went great. They wer...

Verified
Cleveland, GA

I checked out LegalZoom and went with them to get my will and a directive. I've also done a quitclaim through them. Using the service was easy and fast. It was inexpensive as well...

LegalZoom services

LegalZoom provides legal assistance to individuals and small businesses on everything from filing for 501(c)(3) status to creating a last will and testament.

When signing up for LegalZoom, the company asks for some information about you or your business. LegalZoom then suggests services, which allows you to pick the best package for your needs.

LegalZoom offers many services geared toward small businesses, but it also provides legal services to individuals and families. Customers looking to file for divorce, register a trademark or create a trust, for example, can schedule a call with an attorney to get professional documents created.

LegalZoom can help you with:

• Estate planning
  • Contract and agreements
  • Attorney-prepared documents
  • Personal consultation

LegalZoom lawyers

LegalZoom’s attorneys must meet specific eligibility requirements to ensure customers are getting sound legal advice. LegalZoom looks for attorneys with five or more years of experience who are in good standing and have no public discipline records in their licensed state.

LegalZoom LLC and small business services

LegalZoom’s independent licensed professionals provide advice and guidance on naming and starting a business, including:

• Limited liability companies (LLC)
  • Incorporations (C-corp and S-corp)
  • Doing business as (DBA)
  • Nonprofits
  • Sole proprietorships

The “Help Me Decide” function on the LegalZoom website lets you know which business structure is right for you with nine quick questions. From there, you can go through the company’s six-step process to form your business.

The process includes searching for your desired business name, providing a business description, selecting essential services, speaking with a legal or tax advisor about an employer identification number (EIN), obtaining licenses and permits and paying for their chosen services.

LegalZoom price

The most popular LegalZoom packages start at $0 before filing fees. This includes starting a corporation or filing a patent application. Below is a list of LegalZoom’s most popular services and their fees:

ServicesStarting cost
Basic limited liability company (LLC)$0 (plus filing fees)
Doing business as$99 (plus state filing fees)
Incorporation (C-corp and S-corp)$149 (plus state filing fees)
Basic last will$89
Trademark registration$599 (plus federal filing fees)

LegalZoom’s 100% satisfaction guarantee means you can get a refund or credit, minus filing fees or taxes, within 60 days if you’re not fully satisfied with your purchase.

LegalZoom plans and membership

LegalZoom also provides prepaid legal plans that include a 30-minute consultation with an attorney for business or personal needs. These legal plans, the Business Advisory Plan and Legal Advantage Plus, are offered on a six-month or one-year basis with a monthly subscription fee.

• Legal Advantage Plus: Legal Advantage Plus service starts at $14.99 per month and is best for individuals looking to discuss living trusts, child support, legal agreements or duties related to compensation.
  • Business Advisory Plan: The Business Advisory plan starts at $29.99 a month and lets small businesses talk to an attorney to get advice on copyrights and taxes or forming their business and creating contracts.

LegalZoom FAQ

Are LegalZoom documents legal?

LegalZoom works with licensed attorneys and tax professionals with more than five years of experience. Its lawyers’ experience ensures that LegalZoom documents are legal and in compliance with federal and state laws.

Can I get a refund from LegalZoom?

If you’re not satisfied for whatever reason, LegalZoom offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Within 60 days of purchase, you can get a refund or credit on the price of services.

Will LegalZoom hold up in court?

Yes. LegalZoom documents will hold up in court, but state and federal laws are subject to change.

Why is LegalZoom so expensive?

LegalZoom’s prices aren’t necessarily expensive compared to the market rate. On average, independent attorneys and legal professionals charge an hourly rate between $100 and $400. Instead of charging per hour, LegalZoom uses a flat fee structure to provide small businesses and individuals with affordable legal services. Most packages and services also have state or federal filing fees, which are required by law.

Stars Rating

• 64%
  • 1%
  • 2%
  • 1%
  • 32%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

1 featured review
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?
    Process

Reviewed Nov. 16, 2023

I called Legal Zoom and within the hour had my new LLC set up, all my questions asked, felt comfortable and confident with the process. I highly recommend! They’ll say it takes 15 minutes but it doesn’t. Be prepared to spend 45 minutes or so because you will have questions. It’s worth it and it’s done! I had the rep stay on the phone with me and fill out the forms for me. That was easiest and best because I did have many questions along the way.

Pinned

Thank you, Iona, for allowing us to be a part of your journey and for taking the time to share your experience. We wish you the best with your small business.

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed Aug. 1, 2023

I spoke with an agent (Michael) who was so helpful to me, especially because this is my first time getting my LLC. He explained exactly what my LLC covers and every other legal documents I would need for my business that would help me stay in great standing. He was very patient and his customer service was amazing. All of my questions were answered thoroughly.

Pinned

Thank you for allowing us to be there for you as you start your business venture, and for sharing, Brittany. We wish you much success.

Reviewed July 31, 2023

I have PTSD and have a hard time recently with face to face visits. I spoke to Brandi. She was calm cool and collective. She listened. She interjected her honesty and truth. She exhibited the most comfortable conversation I've had in a LONG time. She is smart, diligent, profound, intellectual, spiritual, loving, kind, funny, and most of all humble. Her energy was a delight and she was a breath of fresh air. People who answer phones have the ability to change the trajectory of a person's day and Brandie went out of her way to make an impression on my soul. That takes skills. She should be teaching these classes to the business. Encouraging, uplifting, and real. Again, thank you!!

Much love- Rebecca with **.

Pinned

Your feedback has made my day! Thank you for sharing your experience, Rebecca.

Reviewed July 29, 2023

I've never felt the need to write a review of any person or product before, but Davey went above and beyond to help me. I'm starting my LLC and very stressed out about all the legality and tax codes. Davey provided the absolute best customer service I've ever had. I was only able to stump him once, and rather then give me a half answer he directed me to someone that would know more. I'm recommending him to everyone in my office and anyone stressed about taxes or starting a business. 10/10. Couldn't ask for a better rep. If I didn't need his help as my LegalZoom rep I would definitely recruit him to my sales team.

Pinned

This is wonderful feedback that we cannot wait to share with Davey and the team. Thank you for taking the time to provide your experience, Logan.

StaffProcess

Reviewed July 28, 2023

Amy ** was professional: she knew her product and she convinced me I should use the services of LegalZoom rather than apply for my 501(C)3 myself. Throughout the entire process she was patient, courteous, thoughtful and thorough. She answered all of my questions clearly and in my opinion her representation of the LegalZoom brand was nothing short of excellent! I look forward to working with her in the future.

Pinned

Thank you for taking the time to provide me with such positive feedback on your experience with Amy. It means a lot to us, Victor.

Customer ServiceStaffProcess

Reviewed July 12, 2024

I submitted an application and payment to get a trademark. Two days after my consultation, I woke up to a letter saying the attorney is no longer representing my trademark application. No explanation. When I called, they told me they couldn't talk to me and hung up the phone in my face. I have no idea why they dropped my application. If it's legal to drop it, why not have any communication with me explaining the process, at the very least. I have no idea what to do with the application that was filed. A huge mess and very poor professionalism. I would NOT recommend to anyone. I've never ever had a so-called professional hang up on me while asking for clarity.

Pinned

We apologize for falling short of your expectations, Holly. We see that our Attorney-Led Trademark Team has assisted you with your concerns regarding your trademark. If we can be of any support, please call us at (800) 773-0888, or visit https://linktr.ee/legalzoom.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsStaff

Reviewed July 10, 2024

Wow. I just spent multiple days, hours per call with many, many transfers. Each representative telling me different stories on why the credit they had originally promised could no longer be honored. If you could believe it, someone went as far as to tell me that this huge business does not have a billing department… so I could not have spoken with them… getting an order number for the reinstated credit the prior day. It’s amazing… I guess in reality, they are doing me a favor.

I wouldn’t really feel comfortable trusting them with compliance documents, and such… I was paying for the full package, with all the extras to keep me on track. But after this, I will definitely be taking my business elsewhere. I am planning on filing a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau, because it’s just not right for a company to be able to finagle their way out of an actual refund, by only offering the store credit, and then changing the terms after to invalidate the store credit. And what is worse is that, I had to spend over 10 hrs of my life speaking to all sorts of people, for them to be, “so sorry, but that their hands are tied.”

Reviewed July 7, 2024

DO NOT USE. I was charged for a subscription I did not want. Once I saw the charge in my account I contacted them immediately. I was told that that I would not be refunded based on their new refund policy. I am paying for a service that I am not using. Seems suspicious....

Customer Service

Reviewed July 3, 2024

LegalZoom locks you into subscriptions without you realizing it! I was just charged over $800 and another charge for over $200 for an annual subscription for Tax services and compliance which I never utilized. I must have signed up for this when I used legal zoom last year to establish my LLC, I thought that was all I was doing! Their business model is to get subscriptions, and bill as much as possible. Seek any other options for establishing an LLC. Customer service will not refund charges, not even a prorated refund.

Pinned

Hi, Derrick, we're sorry for any trouble or inconvenience this may have caused you as we never want our customers to experience unexpected charges. We have sent you a private message to collect more information. We look forward to hearing from you.

Resolution In Progress
      Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed June 21, 2024

The customer service and handling of my Will and Trust was a complete joke when I had to make a simple revision. First I was told I would need an attorney to change my email, but not my name. After submitting and paying the revision I was told I needed to revise it again to add a dollar amount for my pet trust. Keep in mind, this is not a legal issue this is system issue. However, Legal Zoom required I not only add a dollar amount, but I had to pay again for this revision (I was refunded after I demanded it, but was told there is no way to override this on their system). 30 minutes later I was told I needed to do another revision because of '/" symbol. (just imagine the audacity). An agent then said she would call me within 1 hour, but kept me waiting for over 4 hours (ruined my day with my family). Apparently they were able to override the system at this point. I am now waiting to be compensated for my time and for a meeting with the CEO.

Pinned

Hi, Lori, we're sorry for the trouble you experienced. We see that a member of our Executive Escalations Team is assigned to your case and currently you both are communicating. They will continue to support you until this matter is resolved.

LegalZoom Company Information