2. Legal Services

4.6/5 (712 ratings)

About LegalZoom

LegalZoom provides legal help to individuals, families, and small businesses through their do-it-yourself platform and independent network of attorneys. They empower millions of people in growing their business, caring for their families, and protecting their ideas.

Pros

• 60-day satisfaction guarantee
  • Experienced attorneys
  • Affordable packages

Cons

• Some services can be pricey
  • Not ideal for complex legal cases

Bottom Line

LegalZoom has services starting as low as $79 and is an affordable way to start a business, get incorporated or start a living trust. Small business owners and families can receive ongoing legal advice for a low monthly fee.

Top LegalZoom Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I didn't have time to go through an attorney and I figured it would be easier going through LegalZoom... They did all the paperwork for the LLC and everything went great. They wer...

Verified

I checked out LegalZoom and went with them to get my will and a directive. I've also done a quitclaim through them. Using the service was easy and fast. It was inexpensive as well...

LegalZoom services

LegalZoom provides legal assistance to individuals and small businesses on everything from filing for 501(c)(3) status to creating a last will and testament.

When signing up for LegalZoom, the company asks for some information about you or your business. LegalZoom then suggests services, which allows you to pick the best package for your needs.

LegalZoom offers many services geared toward small businesses, but it also provides legal services to individuals and families. Customers looking to file for divorce, register a trademark or create a trust, for example, can schedule a call with an attorney to get professional documents created.

LegalZoom can help you with:

• Estate planning
  • Contract and agreements
  • Attorney-prepared documents
  • Personal consultation

LegalZoom lawyers

LegalZoom’s attorneys must meet specific eligibility requirements to ensure customers are getting sound legal advice. LegalZoom looks for attorneys with five or more years of experience who are in good standing and have no public discipline records in their licensed state.

LegalZoom LLC and small business services

LegalZoom’s independent licensed professionals provide advice and guidance on naming and starting a business, including:

• Limited liability companies (LLC)
  • Incorporations (C-corp and S-corp)
  • Doing business as (DBA)
  • Nonprofits
  • Sole proprietorships

The “Help Me Decide” function on the LegalZoom website lets you know which business structure is right for you with nine quick questions. From there, you can go through the company’s six-step process to form your business.

The process includes searching for your desired business name, providing a business description, selecting essential services, speaking with a legal or tax advisor about an employer identification number (EIN), obtaining licenses and permits and paying for their chosen services.

LegalZoom price

The most popular LegalZoom packages start at $79 before filing fees. This includes starting a corporation or filing a patent application. Below is a list of LegalZoom’s most popular services and their fees:

ServicesStarting cost
Limited liability company (LLC)$79 (plus filing fees)
Doing business as$99 (plus state filing fees)
Incorporation (C-corp and S-corp)$149 (plus state filing fees)
Last will and testament$179
Trademark registration$199 (plus federal filing fees)

LegalZoom’s 100% satisfaction guarantee means you can get a refund or credit, minus filing fees or taxes, within 60 days if you’re not fully satisfied with your purchase.

LegalZoom plans and membership

LegalZoom also provides prepaid legal plans that include a 30-minute consultation with an attorney for business or personal needs. These legal plans, the Business Advisory Plan and Legal Advantage Plus, are offered on a six-month or one-year basis with a monthly subscription fee.

• Legal Advantage Plus: Legal Advantage Plus service starts at $9.99 per month and is best for individuals looking to discuss living trusts, child support, legal agreements or duties related to compensation.
  • Business Advisory Plan: The Business Advisory plan starts at $31.25 a month and lets small businesses talk to an attorney to get advice on copyrights and taxes or forming their business and creating contracts.

LegalZoom FAQ

Are LegalZoom documents legal?
LegalZoom works with licensed attorneys and tax professionals with more than five years of experience. Its lawyers’ experience ensures that LegalZoom documents are legal and in compliance with federal and state laws.
Can I get a refund from LegalZoom?
If you’re not satisfied for whatever reason, LegalZoom offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Within 60 days of purchase, you can get a refund or credit on the price of services.
Will LegalZoom hold up in court?
Yes. LegalZoom documents will hold up in court, but state and federal laws are subject to change.
Why is LegalZoom so expensive?
LegalZoom’s prices aren’t necessarily expensive compared to the market rate. On average, independent attorneys and legal professionals charge an hourly rate between $100 and $400. Instead of charging per hour, LegalZoom uses a flat fee structure to provide small businesses and individuals with affordable legal services. Most packages and services also have state or federal filing fees, which are required by law.

LegalZoom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

Working with Rob was great. I have been looking forward to starting my own business for some time. However, was not looking forward to the startup process, feeling it would be a hassle. I have a management degree in paralegal studies so I had gathered some of the needed documents to form an LLC and was about to get started but still was not excited about it. I was also a bit pressed for time so I decided to see what Legal Zoom had to offer.

The pricing seemed reasonable considering the amount of work I knew I had ahead of me doing it on my own. I began talking to Rob. I was very impressed with Rob's knowledge of Legal Zoom's products and services as well as his professionalism and patience. Working with Rob, we were able to quickly step through the process of forming a new LLC, along with establishing a registered agent for the new business. Along the way, Rob was able to answer literally every question asked by a paralegal starting a consulting/management firm.

My particular business model will require the intensive use of legal forms and documents. I was not really thrilled about this aspect of my business plan even with the training and knowledge needed to navigate and utilized required legal documents. However, with Legal Zoom I now have easy access to most all of to legal forms I will need as well as a full array of legal support services. I am so excited to move forward with my new business now and can't believe I have been putting this off. It was so easy. I look forward to partnering with Legal Zoom moving forward. Thank you so much.

Sean **,

Uriah Enterprises LLC

LegalZoom response

Thanks for making our day a little brighter, Sean! We are huge fans of Rob too and we'll be sure to pass along your feedback to him directly. Congratulations on making it official and thank you for being a LegalZoom customer.

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2021

LegalZoom was a company that I knew that was for sure could get it done. I know a couple of people that have already went through LegalZoom. I've been having trouble getting in to get certain documents. The only way to get my documents from LegalZoom is from the app. I went to the website, and it doesn't give me that option, so I do not have any hard copies of any of my paperwork.

After the process was done, I went into the app and I would get all the documents. After that, when I went into the app, it told me that the documents were not there. So, if you go to the website where I put in all the information to get started and things of that nature, it doesn't give you the option of going into your account or viewing certain paperwork that you might want to go back and find. So, at this point, I can't find my documents.

There is an email on the website that I sent the email to, and no one has responded to try to figure out how to get the documents. I thought they would come in the mail, but then when I thought about it, if they're in the app, it's gonna be just as simple, just go in there and print them off. But I haven't been able to find them. But other than that, the process was smooth.

LegalZoom response

Every piece of feedback is important to us, and we’re so glad you took the time to share this Ricky! If you're still having trouble accessing your documents, please send us an email at socialmediaoutreach@legalzoom.com and we'll get you connected with someone who can help.

Original review: April 17, 2021

LegalZoom was one of the first web-based type legal sites. My brother-in-law also uses them. I knew he was using them and satisfied with them, so I figured I'd give it a try. What I find is some of these pages and websites get a bit overwhelming trying to figure out the best way to navigate, and what are all the options, especially when you're dealing with something that could be fairly intense, like some legal issue. It's not just LegalZoom, it's a lot of sites, just trying to figure out how to navigate through the site, and get to the right people or the right links. But ultimately, I figure it out.

The whole process was very smooth, with setting up the LLC. And I used LegalZoom as the registered agent. It was very responsive, and accomplished the task quickly. I only used LegalZoom for that LLC, and then I used them for templates to draft either an operating agreement or a contract for doing business. I went in to get a template for a consulting contract and it was nice when I went there to do that. I went through that whole checkout process. And then the email I got was $0 charge. That was nice because they didn’t charge me anything for that. But that was the only thing I wasn't clear on, what was available for free once I got the initial service, like setting up the LLC and having LegalZoom as my registered agent, what perks did I get along with that. It wasn't clear until that all happened, that they weren't going to charge me.

LegalZoom response

We truly believe everyone should have access to professional legal advice, and we’re so glad we could deliver for you, David! Thanks for sharing your feedback here and for choosing LegalZoom.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I'm a sole owner of a business, but I have a partnership that's a 50-50 with another business organization. They were the one that gave me the option for LegalZoom. But I also know of another business owner that has used them before and he expressed a whole lot of positive reviews when it comes to their services. From what I understand, affordability and the services that they offer are kind of the gold standard. It's the first time I've ever gone through the process of getting the LLC. I don't have a whole lot of reference to know how difficult it would normally be or how difficult it would be to go through another agency, process or another state or country but given the way that it went, the process is difficult in general and timely and has a little bit of expense to it. LegalZoom kind of rolled out the red carpet and made it about as easy and painless as that process probably could be.

I've had multiple contacts with the people at LegalZoom helping me through the process. I had questions and I called back, and they were easy to get ahold of. The explanation on what it is, what I need to do and what the next step is was very positive. Anytime I had a question or anytime I had a need to know things, I could just pick up the phone and I would reach somebody at LegalZoom who could explain it to me and then tell me what the next steps are.

What LegalZoom have set up is pretty ideal. I plan on making other changes into the future. I'm waiting to see how this business runs and if it is a successful venture, I have every intention to come back to LegalZoom and do another couple steps with them. Not only was I pleased enough with the process that they produced and the services, but to the degree that I have in mind to use them again for other things that I'd like to do with the business. Adding my wife as an equal partner in it, I know that that was offered, and that is something that they can help me with. When we take that step, that's something that I will definitely be coming back to them for. I'm very pleased with what they offer. They have made it very easy for me to go through the process I went through. So, I would definitely recommend.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2021

I used LegalZoom to get a name change. The state of Tennessee changed my name, so I had to go through LegalZoom. They got all the paperwork for me to get it done. For something technical, I don't know anything about that stuff, but they sent step by step on every little thing I needed to do. If I need a lawyer for anything, they’ll do the heavy lifting. I’m a truck driver. If something happens and I say, “Hey, I need a lawyer to help me deal with this ticket,” they will do the hard part. They would be like, “Where did you get this ticket? Where did you do this?” I will figure it all out. It wouldn’t be like back and forth and me having to do more work. It would be just 170. It's very reasonable.

It’s like having a retainer for anything possible. It’s easier to have that where they could use a bigger net than me. When I first tried to get my name changed, I didn’t know what to do. I was calling a hundred places and got a runaround. But with LegalZoom, they took care of everything. Even when I went to Kentucky to get my name changed, I called them. I said, “I got this form.” They said, “Read the form to me.” “It’s 209.” “Oh, yeah. That’s the right one.” It’s not like every state has the same form. They did it all, and they separated it all, and they explained everything. So, it shocked me that a lot more people don't use them.

I just wish their website was more user-friendly. With stuff that needs upload or use, it was just easier to call some days because it just wouldn't work. Once I needed to change a form to give my original name and then send my new name, it just wouldn't upload. Things couldn't go. I had to call somebody. He was like, “Hold on, I should do it for you.” He walked completely through the whole thing with me and did it. I was like, “Why do you guys even have a website? You send emails that say, ‘Change this part. We need you to check this out.’ And it just didn’t work.”

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

I have never been in business before and due to the nature of what I am about to embark on, felt that I should protect myself personally by creating an LLC to shield my personal property from my business. So, I reached out to LegalZoom and the agent that helped me through the whole process was superb. All my questions were answered which made my decision to contact them to help me create my LLC the right one.

Original review: Nov. 18, 2021

1. The 'form' that you have to fill requires you to re-start from the beginning when you may want to correct a specific page once you have completed the form.

2. Each time you make a correction it is a new order and you (at least I was) may be charged another 'printing' fee.
    3. There are several (5?) phone numbers to contact customer service. Each one had put me on hold for up to 20 -30 min. without anyone answering me.
    4. When I tried to clarify a question that is of interest only to me regarding the need for witnesses and or notary to complete the process I was told the attorney will not talk to me if I cannot get every one involved in the signing to be on the call with me.

5. I started the process around Oct. 15th and to date the process is still not complete.

P.S. I was unable to attached the email that is the receipt I received - I tried several different ways.

LegalZoom response

Hi Mohsain, thank you for reaching out, and we certainly apologize for the inconvenience here. We want to help find a solution as quickly as we can. We will have a member of our Executive Escalations Team reach out to you within one business day to address your concerns.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

The agent William ** was Extremely knowledgeable and caring to my needs. I really appreciate the extra amount of Care and Personal willingness he was ready to show while helping me. Thank you for hiring him.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

I want LegalZoom headquarter to know how good is Patti **. Because of her outstanding service I will recommend your company to anyone who needs a legal services. Thanks again Patti for being polite, professional and friendly. And I really appreciate your extra effort to solve the problem. Stay safe everyone!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

Legal Zoom did a great job setting up our LLC. This was the first time I’ve ever done something like that myself, and they were great at directing me precisely through the steps involved, and subsequent maintenance tasks. Highly recommended! I do want to state, however, that I was very unhappy with another firm with which Legal Zoom has a relationship, accounting firm 1800 Accounting. They found out about us through LegalZoom, I was hard sold on the promise that 1800 accounting would help with the PPP, and the experience was really bad.

One) they were unable to get us a PPP at all the first year, even though we absolutely did qualify. Two) our prior tax accountant, who we love, cost approximately 1/4 the price of 1800. Three) while the first advisor assigned to us by 1800 was really great, her hands were tied and she couldn’t help us in the way that was promised. She subsequently quit and the advisor that they gave us to replace her after that was just horrible, I was treated badly and with disrespect, he made comments to the effect that he had too many clients and was too busy to really help me.

LegalZoom Company Information