4.7/5 (537 ratings)

About LegalZoom

LegalZoom provides legal help to individuals, families, and small businesses through their do-it-yourself platform and independent network of attorneys. They empower millions of people in growing their business, caring for their families, and protecting their ideas.

Pros

• 60-day satisfaction guarantee
  • Experienced attorneys
  • Affordable packages

Cons

• Some services can be pricey
  • Not ideal for complex legal cases

Bottom Line

LegalZoom has services starting as low as $79 and is an affordable way to start a business, get incorporated or start a living trust. Small business owners and families can receive ongoing legal advice for a low monthly fee.

Top LegalZoom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Verified

I didn't have time to go through an attorney and I figured it would be easier going through LegalZoom... They did all the paperwork for the LLC and everything went great. They wer...

Verified

I checked out LegalZoom and went with them to get my will and a directive. I've also done a quitclaim through them. Using the service was easy and fast. It was inexpensive as well...

LegalZoom services

LegalZoom provides legal assistance to individuals and small businesses on everything from filing for 501(c)(3) status to creating a last will and testament.

When signing up for LegalZoom, the company asks for some information about you or your business. LegalZoom then suggests services, which allows you to pick the best package for your needs.

LegalZoom offers many services geared toward small businesses, but it also provides legal services to individuals and families. Customers looking to file for divorce, register a trademark or create a trust, for example, can schedule a call with an attorney to get professional documents created.

LegalZoom can help you with:

• Estate planning
  • Contract and agreements
  • Attorney-prepared documents
  • Personal consultation

LegalZoom lawyers

LegalZoom’s attorneys must meet specific eligibility requirements to ensure customers are getting sound legal advice. LegalZoom looks for attorneys with five or more years of experience who are in good standing and have no public discipline records in their licensed state.

LegalZoom LLC and small business services

LegalZoom’s independent licensed professionals provide advice and guidance on naming and starting a business, including:

• Limited liability companies (LLC)
  • Incorporations (C-corp and S-corp)
  • Doing business as (DBA)
  • Nonprofits
  • Sole proprietorships

The “Help Me Decide” function on the LegalZoom website lets you know which business structure is right for you with nine quick questions. From there, you can go through the company’s six-step process to form your business.

The process includes searching for your desired business name, providing a business description, selecting essential services, speaking with a legal or tax advisor about an employer identification number (EIN), obtaining licenses and permits and paying for their chosen services.

LegalZoom price

The most popular LegalZoom packages start at $79 before filing fees. This includes starting a corporation or filing a patent application. Below is a list of LegalZoom’s most popular services and their fees:

ServicesStarting cost
Limited liability company (LLC)$79 (plus filing fees)
Doing business as$99 (plus state filing fees)
Incorporation (C-corp and S-corp)$149 (plus state filing fees)
Last will and testament$179
Trademark registration$199 (plus federal filing fees)

LegalZoom’s 100% satisfaction guarantee means you can get a refund or credit, minus filing fees or taxes, within 60 days if you’re not fully satisfied with your purchase.

LegalZoom plans and membership

LegalZoom also provides prepaid legal plans that include a 30-minute consultation with an attorney for business or personal needs. These legal plans, the Business Advisory Plan and Legal Advantage Plus, are offered on a six-month or one-year basis with a monthly subscription fee.

• Legal Advantage Plus: Legal Advantage Plus service starts at $9.99 per month and is best for individuals looking to discuss living trusts, child support, legal agreements or duties related to compensation.
  • Business Advisory Plan: The Business Advisory plan starts at $31.25 a month and lets small businesses talk to an attorney to get advice on copyrights and taxes or forming their business and creating contracts.

LegalZoom FAQ

Are LegalZoom documents legal?

LegalZoom works with licensed attorneys and tax professionals with more than five years of experience. Its lawyers’ experience ensures that LegalZoom documents are legal and in compliance with federal and state laws.

Can I get a refund from LegalZoom?

If you’re not satisfied for whatever reason, LegalZoom offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Within 60 days of purchase, you can get a refund or credit on the price of services.

Will LegalZoom hold up in court?

Yes. LegalZoom documents will hold up in court, but state and federal laws are subject to change.

Why is LegalZoom so expensive?

LegalZoom’s prices aren’t necessarily expensive compared to the market rate. On average, independent attorneys and legal professionals charge an hourly rate between $100 and $400. Instead of charging per hour, LegalZoom uses a flat fee structure to provide small businesses and individuals with affordable legal services. Most packages and services also have state or federal filing fees, which are required by law.

LegalZoom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2022

LegalZoom made it SO easy to register my LLC and start my small business. They offered so many services along the way and explained WHY I needed them so I could make best decisions for myself. The best part: LegalZoom followed up on the free services included in my order, like a consultation with a tax pro. I knew it was offered to me but, with all of the other exciting things about starting a business, I wouldn't have scheduled it myself. When I got a call reminding me to schedule that consultation I booked the appointment right away and I was able to check some important stuff off my list that I would have otherwise left until the last minute and been stressed about later. Damien (the person that called to schedule) and Christian (the tax pro) were amazingly helpful. 10/10!!

LegalZoom response

We appreciate you for taking the time to provide such wonderful feedback. We cannot wait to share this with Damien and Christian, thank you, Mary.

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 11, 2022

Hello! Thanks for this opportunity to tell you how excellent your employee, Samella, is. She was very patient and thorough with me in guiding me through the steps I needed to revise my trust and to create my will. In her relational approach, Samella balances kindness and professionalism and she brings a level of hospitality to the experience. Samella was very clear upfront about NOT being able to give legal advice. I liked that she was direct about that early in the conversation. Yet, I still felt heard and supported and I was able to feel like I was not alone in the process because she understood that whenever we each do something new that involves important decisions the capacity to feel unsure or overwhelmed is present. Thank You!

LegalZoom response

Hi Roxanne - This is such amazing feedback, thank you for taking the time to share. We will ensure to share the experience you had with Samella with everyone. Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of any support.

Original review: April 5, 2022

I had been postponing this matter for a while, dreading having to go through the usual bouncing around in a phone call to modern organization. I was pleasantly surprised. My call was answered pretty quickly by a person! No robots! No press 1 for this, press 2 for that, and so on. We all know how that feels. Not only was this agent very professional, but he was also able to understand my needs, was very personable and made the whole conversation very pleasant. I felt very much at ease, and I feel I can rely on them to help me through this legal process as I proceed. Very high marks to LegalZoom for having someone like that answering calls without jumping through a hundred robot questions to finally get a real person who's pleasant to talk to and knows what he's talking about.

LegalZoom response

We’re happy our customer service team was able to get things taken care of for you, William. Thank you for sharing this review and for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: March 4, 2022

I was very pleased with my agent Micheal. He answered every question and was very patient with me, it being my first time doing all the documentation for my new clothing brand. I was very pleased and comfortable. The process was a scary process because of the money that had to come out of my pocket at once. Then giving a complete stranger my card number and information over the phone. That's a scary process hoping that they do not try and steal my identity but because I know I called the number to Legal Zoom and I have spoke to the agent I spoke with last year. Again I knew I was ready and felt it was the right time to reach out again and get started on my business.

LegalZoom response

That’s awesome news, LisaRenee! We're glad to hear that you decided to come back to us and that Michael was able to take good care of you during your interaction. We really appreciate you for sharing your feedback and we'll send a KUDOS over to Michael for you. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

Her level of consideration and patience and customization to MY SPECIFIC SITUATION MEANT EVERYTHING. I told her she was a God Send. I have no team and she took the time to listen to me and Walk With Me Through The Factors Of MY SITUATION as to provide the best approach based off the intel I provided and her experience and knowledge. She truly deserves company wide acknowledgement. I want to say that any who display her level love again love during working with a customer DESERVE COMPANY WIDE ACKNOWLEDGMENT. These are the people who are keeping the lights on, Because They Keep Us Coming Back. I wasn’t too pleased before I spoke to her because LegalZoom did something, unbeknownst to them, that could be viewed as VERY UNETHICAL. She provided me with clarity so I could see this wasn’t the case and LegalZoom wouldn’t do anything like that purposefully. SHE. IS. AMAZING.

LegalZoom response

Thanks for making our day a little brighter, Anthony! We truly appreciate your feedback and we'll be sure to pass it along to the representative who assisted you directly. We appreciate you for being a LegalZoom customer.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2023

On January 3rd I purchased the help of Legal Zoom to set up my LLC. I made the mistake of purchasing a founders kit from them for $70. I never received it. I received a paper folder with my documents. I have called four times and submitted requests online several times and I cannot speak with anyone from the United States and nobody has helped. They all tell me the same thing, "it is being reviewed, we will get back to you" but nobody ever does. I would advise not to use LegalZoom as their customer service is terrible. I will never do business with them, I initially wanted this founders kit but now I just want my $70 back.

LegalZoom response

Hi, Chad! We’d love to help resolve this for you, we'll have a member of our Executive Escalations Team take a look into what's happening with your order and contact you within one business day.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2023

I had a very pleasant experience with Representative Damon, I had misunderstood something on my document and was very confused about it. Damond was very helpful and patient in explaining the situation and simplified it so I could understand. I recommend LegalZoom to anyone looking to start a new business.

LegalZoom response

We love to hear this, Colleen, we look forward to sharing this with Damon and the team, thank you.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2023

I did not file the annual report and she was so excellent take care of my profile. I forgot and I did not know the My annual report is in January 1 of every year and the audit things on a May and October and she was so good. She took her time and she perfectly explained it to me a month I have to pay. She explain it how much each separately and it was excellent and I’m so happy she was helping me. Thank you for everything.

LegalZoom response

We love to hear this and we appreciate you for taking the time to share, Mojgan!

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

One more thing off the list... Very happy to have chosen Legal Zoom and I feel like I received a very well rounded product/service for my money. I don't have time to waste so I'm very pleased with how streamlined the process has been so far with LegalZoom to go from Sole Proprietor to S-Corp.

LegalZoom response

We appreciate you for sharing your experience, Alex.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2022

I spoke with a LegalZoom agent about highlevel tax implications of my LLC. He sought to understand my business - and answer my specific questions. He did not try to oversell LegalZoom's tax plans - but instead let me know that they were an option and available to me at any time. This helped build my trust with LegalZoom so much that I am here giving it a THUMBS UP! review. I highly recommend.

LegalZoom response

We love to hear this, Sarah, thank you for sharing.

LegalZoom Company Information