2. Legal Services

4.4/5 (612 ratings)

About LegalZoom

LegalZoom provides legal help to individuals, families, and small businesses through their do-it-yourself platform and independent network of attorneys. They empower millions of people in growing their business, caring for their families, and protecting their ideas.

Pros

• 60-day satisfaction guarantee
  • Experienced attorneys
  • Affordable packages

Cons

• Some services can be pricey
  • Not ideal for complex legal cases

Bottom Line

LegalZoom has services starting as low as $79 and is an affordable way to start a business, get incorporated or start a living trust. Small business owners and families can receive ongoing legal advice for a low monthly fee.

Top LegalZoom Reviews

Verified

I didn't have time to go through an attorney and I figured it would be easier going through LegalZoom... They did all the paperwork for the LLC and everything went great. They wer...

Verified

I checked out LegalZoom and went with them to get my will and a directive. I've also done a quitclaim through them. Using the service was easy and fast. It was inexpensive as well...

LegalZoom services

LegalZoom provides legal assistance to individuals and small businesses on everything from filing for 501(c)(3) status to creating a last will and testament.

When signing up for LegalZoom, the company asks for some information about you or your business. LegalZoom then suggests services, which allows you to pick the best package for your needs.

LegalZoom offers many services geared toward small businesses, but it also provides legal services to individuals and families. Customers looking to file for divorce, register a trademark or create a trust, for example, can schedule a call with an attorney to get professional documents created.

LegalZoom can help you with:

• Estate planning
  • Contract and agreements
  • Attorney-prepared documents
  • Personal consultation

LegalZoom lawyers

LegalZoom’s attorneys must meet specific eligibility requirements to ensure customers are getting sound legal advice. LegalZoom looks for attorneys with five or more years of experience who are in good standing and have no public discipline records in their licensed state.

LegalZoom LLC and small business services

LegalZoom’s independent licensed professionals provide advice and guidance on naming and starting a business, including:

• Limited liability companies (LLC)
  • Incorporations (C-corp and S-corp)
  • Doing business as (DBA)
  • Nonprofits
  • Sole proprietorships

The “Help Me Decide” function on the LegalZoom website lets you know which business structure is right for you with nine quick questions. From there, you can go through the company’s six-step process to form your business.

The process includes searching for your desired business name, providing a business description, selecting essential services, speaking with a legal or tax advisor about an employer identification number (EIN), obtaining licenses and permits and paying for their chosen services.

LegalZoom price

The most popular LegalZoom packages start at $79 before filing fees. This includes starting a corporation or filing a patent application. Below is a list of LegalZoom’s most popular services and their fees:

ServicesStarting cost
Limited liability company (LLC)$79 (plus filing fees)
Doing business as$99 (plus state filing fees)
Incorporation (C-corp and S-corp)$149 (plus state filing fees)
Last will and testament$179
Trademark registration$199 (plus federal filing fees)

LegalZoom’s 100% satisfaction guarantee means you can get a refund or credit, minus filing fees or taxes, within 60 days if you’re not fully satisfied with your purchase.

LegalZoom plans and membership

LegalZoom also provides prepaid legal plans that include a 30-minute consultation with an attorney for business or personal needs. These legal plans, the Business Advisory Plan and Legal Advantage Plus, are offered on a six-month or one-year basis with a monthly subscription fee.

• Legal Advantage Plus: Legal Advantage Plus service starts at $9.99 per month and is best for individuals looking to discuss living trusts, child support, legal agreements or duties related to compensation.
  • Business Advisory Plan: The Business Advisory plan starts at $31.25 a month and lets small businesses talk to an attorney to get advice on copyrights and taxes or forming their business and creating contracts.

LegalZoom FAQ

Are LegalZoom documents legal?
LegalZoom works with licensed attorneys and tax professionals with more than five years of experience. Its lawyers’ experience ensures that LegalZoom documents are legal and in compliance with federal and state laws.
Can I get a refund from LegalZoom?
If you’re not satisfied for whatever reason, LegalZoom offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Within 60 days of purchase, you can get a refund or credit on the price of services.
Will LegalZoom hold up in court?
Yes. LegalZoom documents will hold up in court, but state and federal laws are subject to change.
Why is LegalZoom so expensive?
LegalZoom’s prices aren’t necessarily expensive compared to the market rate. On average, independent attorneys and legal professionals charge an hourly rate between $100 and $400. Instead of charging per hour, LegalZoom uses a flat fee structure to provide small businesses and individuals with affordable legal services. Most packages and services also have state or federal filing fees, which are required by law.

Is LegalZoom legit?

Yes, LegalZoom is legitimate. Since launching in 2001, LegalZoom has helped more than 4 million people. Customers praise the company for its quick services — challenges with the legal services company occur mainly in cases where delays between government offices and LegalZoom cause the customer to contact the government organization directly. We recommend the service for small businesses looking for legal advice and individuals in need of legal assistance on important personal matters.

LegalZoom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I'm a sole owner of a business, but I have a partnership that's a 50-50 with another business organization. They were the one that gave me the option for LegalZoom. But I also know of another business owner that has used them before and he expressed a whole lot of positive reviews when it comes to their services. From what I understand, affordability and the services that they offer are kind of the gold standard. It's the first time I've ever gone through the process of getting the LLC. I don't have a whole lot of reference to know how difficult it would normally be or how difficult it would be to go through another agency, process or another state or country but given the way that it went, the process is difficult in general and timely and has a little bit of expense to it. LegalZoom kind of rolled out the red carpet and made it about as easy and painless as that process probably could be.

I've had multiple contacts with the people at LegalZoom helping me through the process. I had questions and I called back, and they were easy to get ahold of. The explanation on what it is, what I need to do and what the next step is was very positive. Anytime I had a question or anytime I had a need to know things, I could just pick up the phone and I would reach somebody at LegalZoom who could explain it to me and then tell me what the next steps are.

What LegalZoom have set up is pretty ideal. I plan on making other changes into the future. I'm waiting to see how this business runs and if it is a successful venture, I have every intention to come back to LegalZoom and do another couple steps with them. Not only was I pleased enough with the process that they produced and the services, but to the degree that I have in mind to use them again for other things that I'd like to do with the business. Adding my wife as an equal partner in it, I know that that was offered, and that is something that they can help me with. When we take that step, that's something that I will definitely be coming back to them for. I'm very pleased with what they offer. They have made it very easy for me to go through the process I went through. So, I would definitely recommend.

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2020

A friend of mine did her own will and talked about doing it. Attorneys around here had gone up so much on their price for something that they just use a template and fill in the blanks for my other legal services and where I was drained of huge amounts of money. It seemed like Legal Zoom would be a good thing to do a standard routine document for less money than paying one of them. It was a long time ago when I did the original will through LegalZoom and my child was still underage. When all these COVID stuff came up, I was scared out of my wits. I'm not young anymore. I needed to update my will and change the executor since I only have this one child that would inherit what I have. My son is now of age and would be the executor of my will and my sole heir. I updated my old will and apparently, more has to be done than when I did the original one.

When I originally did it, I was happy with the language in the will. The original one was straightforward and more like other legal documents that I've done. My other experiences in divorce and real estate were much more straightforward in their language, setting out the terms and I understand they're all using a template and fill in the blank as to specifics. When I updated it this time, it's less straightforward and there are a lot more drawn out legalese stuff that was somewhat confusing in just the first reading. Maybe law has changed in my state to have all this legalese stuff in it. I'm not as comfortable with it. It seems excessive. I'd have to go back and look at the document again. I was just kind of scratching my head when I thought that this is not what my document looked like before. The original will when my kid was still young was where I’d named a guardian in the event of my death. I was satisfied with that experience.

When I could look at my computer, at the changed document, I'm like, “Wow! Something new must have come up.” My printer was broken at the time I made the change and paid the money. I reviewed the document online and downloaded it but I got the packet in the mail. It is still sitting in my big stack of mail that I haven't gone through yet. At the time I received that, I wasn’t dying to go get out in the herd. I've got to assemble a couple of people to witness my signature and go file it. I need to finish the thing and I'm gonna have to get out in public a little bit.

I'm assuming that if I want some explanations of that stuff, when I finally get off my tail and go get this thing filed, that I could call somebody and I could get explanations of some of this stuff. if you're gonna add so much legalese to it, it would be cool if you had a general explanation. So that if I go and look at it again when I'm not so tired and have a million things to do, maybe on second read, it would be better.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2020

When I worked with LegazZoom for incorporating, it was really easy and fast. With them, you fill some stuff out then you're kind of on your own. But people incorporating really don't know anything and they're obviously starting anew mostly. So, there should be an immediate service to guide people like somebody who would call you right after your account set-up and you have a personal person who would help you. They would ask about your plan and tell you what you need to do such as the fact that you have to pay an annual tax of $800, you have these forms to answer, and you have to have a seller's permit. The service would be free for the first 30 days only and if you wanted to use them you'd be able to always ask them stuff or they would always remind you that you can pay.

They've got to have something like that because at the end of the day, incorporating is the easy part, but there's so much stuff in the background that people don't know unless they research or it comes up. That can get costly for LegalZoom but if they did that, that would be amazing. Thereafter, if somebody wanted to keep that service, maybe they could pay a monthly fee to be able to get phone support and have questions answered. At the same time, having somebody guide you on what you need to know without having to ask the question would also be helpful because some people don't know what they even need to ask to begin with.

Despite that, LegalZoom still offers a lot for the price at the end of the day. The interface isn't that great though and it was not super user-friendly or easy to interpret. It was not bad either but it could be better. When I wanted to log in, it was not really clear about where are the forms you've already filed and where are the future forms. The calendar was a little weird, too. It'd also be nice to be able to have support on the weekends because a lot of businesses are opening on the weekends. I'd love to get questions answered as opposed to waiting a couple of days. But other than that, the hold times have been pretty good and LegalZoom has been great.

LegalZoom response

Hi Rayan. Thank you so much for taking the time to share this review. We appreciate the feedback and we'll work on making this a better experience. Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Original review: July 14, 2020

I liked the website. The interface seemed pretty straightforward. It's very no muss, no fuss. I set up two LLCs. I’m dissolving one right now with LegalZoom. I've also did my estate planning documents. I got their estate planning bundle. The process was pretty straightforward. The comprehensive suite of services provided made me feel confident that they have researched the needs of your target consumers very well. So I felt quite secure that they had done their legwork, and I'd be able to get a solid solution. I also liked the fact that I was introduced to a local attorney, who would corroborate a lot of the information I received from LegalZoom in my market. It was pretty cool that there were people that they had vetted. It turned out to be great. I was really pleased with that component of the service. I’m really happy about that.

LegalZoom is a great place to start, depending on how complicated the person's matters are. If they were looking for a straightforward, non-scary, non-threatening, non-expensive way to dip your toe into a legal matter, I would suggest everyone start with LegalZoom and then follow up with an attorney to help connect the dots if there are things that are confusing.

I had one setback. But it was more of a technical issue with the way things are managed there. I should have expected that working with an online provider like LegalZoom that there wouldn't have a lot of interpretive support. For example, I wanted to start a new company. I plugged in the company name and they said, “Oh, great, your name is available.” So I'm down that whole rabbit hole. Until I learned that in the state that I wanted to incorporate, the name wasn't available. All LegalZoom provided me were, “Sorry, your name isn't available.” They did not provide me alternatives. They did not provide me any information about why my name wasn't available. So that was a huge setback. I ended up setting up a corporation with a name I didn't want.

I've gotta go through the whole process of now dissolving that corporation because LegalZoom took one of the options that I wasn't crazy about without providing any feedback. They moved ahead and got me the name even though it wasn't the one I wanted. So I over expected based on my previous experience for LegalZoom to be proactive and very helpful in that area. It cost me a lot of extra money. I could have just hired a lawyer to do the research. I would have had a bit of a back and forth with that attorney, which would have saved me money in the long run.

I would warn people that even if it is just a slight bit complicated, don't expect too much from LegalZoom. But overall, I'm still better off having worked with LegalZoom on the other two cases. I just wished LegalZoom would have said, “Sorry, can't help you,” or, ”Wow, this is getting a little bit more complicated” on that one case. But there was no human interface there too. So I understood. I understand that it isn’t perfect and that there are limitations.

LegalZoom response

Hi Paul, thank you very much for your review. We work really hard to make our customers feel like they are in good hands, so we're happy to see that reflected in your experience. Please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help!

Original review: July 12, 2020

Everybody from LegalZoom I talked to has been helpful. However, sometimes, I'll explain to each person, "This is all new to me. So, please talk to me like I'm really like a dummy at it.'' Because it's all new to me, I wanna make sure it's right. Then I'll speak to a next person, and they'll tell me something new. I'll speak to the next person, and again, I'll learn something new. Today, I spoke with the bank because they told me I had to call the bank about what papers to give them. They told me to give them two papers but I wanted to make sure with the bank because my bank doesn't know what they're doing.

I'm an independent person with no business, but I was just doing my will and trust, so when I pass away, my son gets my money. So they told me the money has to go in a trust. I didn't know that. But then again, the rep from my bank wasn't sure either. So, my bank is giving me a hard time. They can't even answer me. I called my 1-800 number.

It was disappointing and customer service is not what it used to be. I've seen LegalZoom on TV. I know Robert Shapiro and I'm like, "They look like a reputable company." That was why I went with them. Then like six months ago, I reached out to one of the people and I said, "Hey, can you send me some email? Just read up on it, so I can understand and learn about it. When I'm ready, I'll call you." I called that same guy. He said, "Here's my number." After he got me going, it was like after the third question and they wanted to get paid. Then everybody's very helpful but it seemed like after I had a couple questions here and there, I would contact that same guy and it would seem like I was bothering him. I didn't like that feeling that before I paid, they were very eager to answer any questions that I had. But after, it seemed like I was bothering him. So after that point, I never called back and asked for him or his extension or anything.

The people are good. Somebody always tells you something new that the previous guy didn't tell. I always say, "Is there anything you can think of that I should know or make sure I shouldn't do? Because this is all new to me. Just advice or whatever you can throw my way." Then they sent me out the card, but they put the wrong address. I had the wrong address for my son. They assumed he lived with me. I wish he did, but he doesn't. So I had to call back and I said, "No, that's not it. It's one digit off." The funny thing is, they didn't even ask me for his address. I called back and spoke to another guy, and I said, "Don't you need the address?" He's kind of yes and kind of no. So, I said, "Okay, well then, let me give you the address." Then the card comes, and he didn't even take the address that I gave him, which is where my son lives.

I had a problem and we made an appointment to speak to a lawyer on Monday. So, the guy helped me and he said, "Okay, let me see what she's got available." He said Monday was okay. This was last Friday and I thought that was not too long. He then said, "Oh, no." Come to find out it's the next Monday. So I said, "That's okay. I understand what's going on." But then I got an email from them stating, "Oh, your request that you put in for your attorney, you didn't finish it or you didn't complete it." So, then on Monday I tried to get a hold of the guy has been helping me. I spoke to a different guy who said, "Yeah, you're booked." But then he checked the notes and said, "Oh, I see the note here. They didn't have you booked." Other than those, everything has been completed and the people were very nice and patient with me.

LegalZoom response

Hi Denise. We are truly sorry for any misunderstanding or miscommunication on our part. Thanks for the feedback, we'll work on making this a better experience.

Original review: May 9, 2021

I bought the standard LLC package on February 21, 2021 and it's now beginning of May and I still have not received my business license. When I emailed them in April said get back to me in 2 days and nothing. So I decided to research my license with the state department. Upon investigation I found that my business license was accepted 5 days after it was filed. But yet again LegalZoom says license is delayed by state.

When I contacted legal zoom again at beginning of may and asked what problem was they said the state never sent back info. Here it is a week after that conversation and still have nothing to show for over $1000 spent. Would not recommend them for anything. They hold my business up and cant get loans because dont have legal documentation. Do yourself a favor. Use a real attorney or do it on your own it will be less hassle.

Original review: May 7, 2021

I called the customer service number to get more information about trademark services and I was quickly transferred to a real person who was extremely helpful and followed up with me. It was the best real service I’ve gotten from an online company in years.

Original review: May 6, 2021

I was very pleased with the information that I received from the agent at LegalZoom. He was exceptionally knowledgeable, and super friendly. He answered all of my questions and addressed all of my concerns. I will most definitely make referrals to Legal Zoom, because of my positive experience with them. I am very grateful and I thank them, and will definitely use them again.

Original review: May 5, 2021

I really was pleased with my specialist. His knowledge of my questions/concerns was thoroughly met. I would recommend only to consider uses their services. Especially if you are someone whom has been struggling where/how to do your legal filings. Highly recommended by me also because I do homework before even considering a decision as such. Thank you Legal Zoom!!

LegalZoom response

Thank you for the kind words. We appreciate you choosing LegalZoom, Sheena!

Original review: May 4, 2021

I filled out whatever LegalZoom wanted me to and paid them. It took a while to get my LLC and it was very expensive. But as far as getting a loan from the Bank of America, which I used, they don't do that. Other than that, just to get my LLC and my EIN, LegalZoom worked good.

LegalZoom response

Thank you so much for sharing your review and trusting us with your business start-up, Jerome. Congratulations on making it official!

LegalZoom Company Information