4.7/5 (617 ratings)

About LegalZoom

LegalZoom provides legal help to individuals, families, and small businesses through their do-it-yourself platform and independent network of attorneys. They empower millions of people in growing their business, caring for their families, and protecting their ideas.

Pros

• 60-day satisfaction guarantee
  • Experienced attorneys
  • Affordable packages

Cons

• Some services can be pricey
  • Not ideal for complex legal cases

Bottom Line

LegalZoom has services starting as low as $79 and is an affordable way to start a business, get incorporated or start a living trust. Small business owners and families can receive ongoing legal advice for a low monthly fee.

Top LegalZoom Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I didn't have time to go through an attorney and I figured it would be easier going through LegalZoom... They did all the paperwork for the LLC and everything went great. They wer...

Verified

I checked out LegalZoom and went with them to get my will and a directive. I've also done a quitclaim through them. Using the service was easy and fast. It was inexpensive as well...

LegalZoom services

LegalZoom provides legal assistance to individuals and small businesses on everything from filing for 501(c)(3) status to creating a last will and testament.

When signing up for LegalZoom, the company asks for some information about you or your business. LegalZoom then suggests services, which allows you to pick the best package for your needs.

LegalZoom offers many services geared toward small businesses, but it also provides legal services to individuals and families. Customers looking to file for divorce, register a trademark or create a trust, for example, can schedule a call with an attorney to get professional documents created.

LegalZoom can help you with:

• Estate planning
  • Contract and agreements
  • Attorney-prepared documents
  • Personal consultation

LegalZoom lawyers

LegalZoom’s attorneys must meet specific eligibility requirements to ensure customers are getting sound legal advice. LegalZoom looks for attorneys with five or more years of experience who are in good standing and have no public discipline records in their licensed state.

LegalZoom LLC and small business services

LegalZoom’s independent licensed professionals provide advice and guidance on naming and starting a business, including:

• Limited liability companies (LLC)
  • Incorporations (C-corp and S-corp)
  • Doing business as (DBA)
  • Nonprofits
  • Sole proprietorships

The “Help Me Decide” function on the LegalZoom website lets you know which business structure is right for you with nine quick questions. From there, you can go through the company’s six-step process to form your business.

The process includes searching for your desired business name, providing a business description, selecting essential services, speaking with a legal or tax advisor about an employer identification number (EIN), obtaining licenses and permits and paying for their chosen services.

LegalZoom price

The most popular LegalZoom packages start at $79 before filing fees. This includes starting a corporation or filing a patent application. Below is a list of LegalZoom’s most popular services and their fees:

ServicesStarting cost
Limited liability company (LLC)$79 (plus filing fees)
Doing business as$99 (plus state filing fees)
Incorporation (C-corp and S-corp)$149 (plus state filing fees)
Last will and testament$179
Trademark registration$199 (plus federal filing fees)

LegalZoom’s 100% satisfaction guarantee means you can get a refund or credit, minus filing fees or taxes, within 60 days if you’re not fully satisfied with your purchase.

LegalZoom plans and membership

LegalZoom also provides prepaid legal plans that include a 30-minute consultation with an attorney for business or personal needs. These legal plans, the Business Advisory Plan and Legal Advantage Plus, are offered on a six-month or one-year basis with a monthly subscription fee.

• Legal Advantage Plus: Legal Advantage Plus service starts at $9.99 per month and is best for individuals looking to discuss living trusts, child support, legal agreements or duties related to compensation.
  • Business Advisory Plan: The Business Advisory plan starts at $31.25 a month and lets small businesses talk to an attorney to get advice on copyrights and taxes or forming their business and creating contracts.

LegalZoom FAQ

Are LegalZoom documents legal?

LegalZoom works with licensed attorneys and tax professionals with more than five years of experience. Its lawyers’ experience ensures that LegalZoom documents are legal and in compliance with federal and state laws.

Can I get a refund from LegalZoom?

If you’re not satisfied for whatever reason, LegalZoom offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Within 60 days of purchase, you can get a refund or credit on the price of services.

Will LegalZoom hold up in court?

Yes. LegalZoom documents will hold up in court, but state and federal laws are subject to change.

Why is LegalZoom so expensive?

LegalZoom’s prices aren’t necessarily expensive compared to the market rate. On average, independent attorneys and legal professionals charge an hourly rate between $100 and $400. Instead of charging per hour, LegalZoom uses a flat fee structure to provide small businesses and individuals with affordable legal services. Most packages and services also have state or federal filing fees, which are required by law.

LegalZoom Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LegalZoom?

Original review: Feb. 18, 2022

Her level of consideration and patience and customization to MY SPECIFIC SITUATION MEANT EVERYTHING. I told her she was a God Send. I have no team and she took the time to listen to me and Walk With Me Through The Factors Of MY SITUATION as to provide the best approach based off the intel I provided and her experience and knowledge. She truly deserves company wide acknowledgement. I want to say that any who display her level love again love during working with a customer DESERVE COMPANY WIDE ACKNOWLEDGMENT. These are the people who are keeping the lights on, Because They Keep Us Coming Back. I wasn’t too pleased before I spoke to her because LegalZoom did something, unbeknownst to them, that could be viewed as VERY UNETHICAL. She provided me with clarity so I could see this wasn’t the case and LegalZoom wouldn’t do anything like that purposefully. SHE. IS. AMAZING.

LegalZoom response

Thanks for making our day a little brighter, Anthony! We truly appreciate your feedback and we'll be sure to pass it along to the representative who assisted you directly. We appreciate you for being a LegalZoom customer.

Get buying tips about Legal Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I found out you have to pay and record deed to avoid probate courts ... Dahh LOL So I needed to finish this process because what would be the point of doing a Living Trust if not done! Bryan was so professional and educated and stayed on the line with me and walked me through the whole process correctly. Nowadays when you call Customer Service anywhere all you get is a rush fast out of communication in a hurry to get your info and get you off the phone and in this case I got the real customer service rep willing to listen and carry on his job till he was done with me!!! That kind of rep the world needs in any business because everything nowadays is on line or over the phone! Thanks for having him!

LegalZoom response

This is an example of the type of support we aim to provide to all of our customers, Leanna, so we're glad to hear that Bryan was able to take such good care of you. We'll be sure to pass along your feedback to him directly. Thanks for being a LegalZoom customer!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2022

I was referred to Legal Zoom through a colleague of mine years ago when I mentioned off the cuff becoming a licensed business. They told me what appeared to be too good to be true as a person that had never had a business before. The rest is history. From the moment of making that first contact and building rapport with LegalZoom and their affiliates I can confidently say that I have felt little to no stress throughout this process. If you have any questions regarding becoming a business, in the event LegalZoom themselves don't involve, chances are strong they have affiliates they will not hesitate to redirect you to of whose expertise will better serve you. I love that about LegalZoom. If I ever decide to become licensed in the state of California again for my business, I will return to LegalZoom. Thank you all, and I wish the best for those of you seeking a place to become licensed through.

LegalZoom response

Thanks for making our day a little brighter, Kim! We're always here to help and we're glad you chose us to be a part of your business journey. Thank you for being a LegalZoom customer.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2021

Legal Zoom did a great job setting up our LLC. This was the first time I’ve ever done something like that myself, and they were great at directing me precisely through the steps involved, and subsequent maintenance tasks. Highly recommended! I do want to state, however, that I was very unhappy with another firm with which Legal Zoom has a relationship, accounting firm 1800 Accounting. They found out about us through LegalZoom, I was hard sold on the promise that 1800 accounting would help with the PPP, and the experience was really bad.

One) they were unable to get us a PPP at all the first year, even though we absolutely did qualify. Two) our prior tax accountant, who we love, cost approximately 1/4 the price of 1800. Three) while the first advisor assigned to us by 1800 was really great, her hands were tied and she couldn’t help us in the way that was promised. She subsequently quit and the advisor that they gave us to replace her after that was just horrible, I was treated badly and with disrespect, he made comments to the effect that he had too many clients and was too busy to really help me.

LegalZoom response

Every piece of feedback is important to us, Tom, and we're glad you took the time to share yours. Congratulations on making it official! If there's any other assistance needed, please email us at taxcallbackrequest@legalzoom.com and we'll get you connected to someone who can help.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

Working with Rob was great. I have been looking forward to starting my own business for some time. However, was not looking forward to the startup process, feeling it would be a hassle. I have a management degree in paralegal studies so I had gathered some of the needed documents to form an LLC and was about to get started but still was not excited about it. I was also a bit pressed for time so I decided to see what Legal Zoom had to offer.

The pricing seemed reasonable considering the amount of work I knew I had ahead of me doing it on my own. I began talking to Rob. I was very impressed with Rob's knowledge of Legal Zoom's products and services as well as his professionalism and patience. Working with Rob, we were able to quickly step through the process of forming a new LLC, along with establishing a registered agent for the new business. Along the way, Rob was able to answer literally every question asked by a paralegal starting a consulting/management firm.

My particular business model will require the intensive use of legal forms and documents. I was not really thrilled about this aspect of my business plan even with the training and knowledge needed to navigate and utilized required legal documents. However, with Legal Zoom I now have easy access to most all of to legal forms I will need as well as a full array of legal support services. I am so excited to move forward with my new business now and can't believe I have been putting this off. It was so easy. I look forward to partnering with Legal Zoom moving forward. Thank you so much.

Sean **,

Uriah Enterprises LLC

LegalZoom response

Thanks for making our day a little brighter, Sean! We are huge fans of Rob too and we'll be sure to pass along your feedback to him directly. Congratulations on making it official and thank you for being a LegalZoom customer.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

Legal Zoom Customer Care is very fast and efficient. I made revisions to my will and needed to make corrections and the customer care rep. Jon was very helpful and asked the right questions. My changes were made promptly for my review.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

John was a great help to me! He helped answer all of my questions and explained it thoroughly in a manner for me to understand. It really left me feeling a lot more confident about going through with the Legal Zoom process. I would highly recommend it to others starting their business endeavor.

LegalZoom response

Hi Rosa - we thank you for sharing and we're happy to pass this along to John and the team.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2022

Mariah is professional and patient with what I was trying to resolved. Hopefully, with the issue I have going on with Franchise Tax Board will be solve. Received a notice from FTB that I haven’t filed a 2019 tax form.

LegalZoom response

Hi Dan - thank you for sharing, and please reach out if we can support in any way.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

A friend recommended LegalZoom and I'm so grateful. It is so overwhelming to start a small business and I did not have to navigate government red tape and my license came quickly. Legal Zoom kept me informed on the progress of my application. I also appreciate all the additional services that are offered including a website and tax consultation.

LegalZoom response

Hi Carole - we're delighted that you are pleased with our service, please don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of any support.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2022

I worked with an agent named David. He was extremely knowledgeable in helping me revise my Living Trust. He was kind, patient, polite and helpful. The website was very easy to navigate and concise. I highly recommend LegalZoom.com and if you are lucky you will get David as your guide.

LegalZoom response

Hi Melinda - this is such wonderful feedback, we look forward to sharing this with David and the team, thank you!

LegalZoom Company Information