Legal Helpers

Out of Business

Compare Legal Services

Research top Legal Services recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I paid Legal Helpers $290.00 a month from October 2010 through January of 2014 to settle four past due credit card accounts totaling almost $11,440. They settled only one and in that time frame. Told me another one was settled, but it now looks like that never happened and now they are garnishing my wages. The other 2 accounts Legal Helpers was supposed to settle also tried to garnish my wages and I ended up having to borrow more money to pay them off. In the end I paid a Legal Helpers a total of $8300 and they only settled one card for less than $2000 and it cost me another $9000 to pay back the accounts that Legal Helpers was supposed to settle.

I contracted Legal Helpers to file my bankruptcy and paid them almost in full before they transferred my account to Price Law Group, claiming they themselves were filing bankruptcy. They kept my money, roughly $1,300. Now I have to pay all new fees in order to file, an additional $1,100. I'm not filing bankruptcy because I have money to lose. Is this legal? Will Jacoby and Meyers, (aka Legal Helpers) get away with robbing me?

I just found out the company Legal Helpers I was with ended up taking my money and not apply it towards accounts like they said they would. I signed up with Legal Helpers to get help on my debt and have it eliminated. They told me it will be reduced and I would just have to pay one low monthly payment to pay help reduce and eliminate my debt. However, they would only take my case if I have at least $10,000 in debt to sign up for the program. I was told that they will help distribute payment, and make sure my credit is safeguarded. Come to find out that is not true! I have paid $10,000 to this company to help pay off my debt to just find out today 01/13/2015 that there are still three accounts that are in collections, and have not been paid on.

So now I'm out $10,000 plus the additional that has not been paid to other accounts after being told that account were paid off. Thinking I was getting involved with a ligament company, my credit has taken a major hit right next to my checking account. This has caused my health to deteriorate, making it difficult for daily functions. If someone could please help me, I would be most appreciative. I have information showing that accounts have not been paid, and that payments have been shipped by either ups, usps, or fedex with invalid tracking numbers. It is my belief they just paid themselves with bogus tracking numbers to look legitimate.

I went to Legal Helpers hoping to resolve my debt. I paid 43 payments out of 45 at 759.00 per month. I was informed by Legal Helpers telling me they were going out of business and they were turning their business over to another law firm. They informed me that they were going to add six more payments to the 45 I agreed to. I told them there was no way I was going to pay six more payments at 759.00, and stopped making payments. Legal Helpers is a complete scam, and they ruined my credit!

My attorney records were transferred to another attorney and I have been trying to contact this other attorney since November 2014 to find out if my filings fee was paid. So now I'm out all attorney fees along with credit report fee and have no money to start over so I stuck paying on a car I don't have and if nothing is going to done with clearing my credit I want all money reimbursed. The name of the attorney that Macey bankruptcy law transfer my records to is Mary ** in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Legal Helpers?

I was signed up with "Legal Helpers" and then all of a sudden I am with this company. I was told that no accounts would go into collection. Lo and behold, I have an account in collection. Needless to say this is "killing" my credit rating more than it was before I joined either group. I called and told them I wanted to cancel and got the run around. So I sent them my credit report that I pulled up today showing that all the accounts have been closed and written off as "Bad Debts" except the one. I was told that the closed accounts probably had been sold to someone else... so why haven't I gotten any notices. I believe they are speaking with "forked tongue!"

I signed up with this company when it was Stratton & Feinstein, P.A. They took the first payments for some of their fees to get started. Told me I would have attorneys working with me to help with any legal issues I could be contacted for by my creditors. I got judgments put against me with no help from them. They would just tell me to ignore these. Don't talk to any of my creditors. I have been paying $420.00 a month since 2009. Been able to pay most of these off, some of the first ones I negotiated my self, and sent direct payment to the creditor itself. The company I started sold out to Legal Helpers, and I have had numerous people handling my case. They hardly have any contact with you and I finally told them when they make a settlement I want to be contacted and let know.

One creditor I had a deal with that I pay them so much a month till my account was paid and I didn't find out until almost a year later that they hadn't been making the payment to the creditor. Here I thought it was almost paid for. They wanted me to pay $200.00 and some dollars to this creditor on my own and pay the $420.00 a month. I told them how did they figure I could afford that. To make a long story short, I was looking at my account and seeing all these fees that I didn't know what they were for or who they were going to, and I started adding them up, they totaled up to thousands of dollars. When I called Legal Helpers to talk to my worker, she was not there so I left her a message.

I got a call back from someone else and I told her I felt I had been ripped off and she couldn't tell me what some of the charges were for either. I asked for a hard copy to be sent to me, I have yet to receive anything. I am sending a letter to my worker and telling her to stop any withdrawals from my savings account as of October 30, 2014. I am cutting my ties with Legal Helpers and sending all paperwork I have to my attorney General of my state. This company does not do what it tells you it will do, and charges for fees you don't even know what they are for. I could've had these creditors paid off a long time ago if I would've did it myself.

I came on board with LegalHelpers.com in 2009. They did not help me with my bankruptcy and they kept my money, $1695.00. I have tried the last 3 years to get my money back to no avail. I am very upset. Now I don't have my bankruptcy and I am out all this money that could have gone to a reliable bankruptcy firm.

I paid 1,500 for bankruptcy. I thought they finished it. I kept paying them $300.00 until I got to 1,500. Every time I called they kept blowing me off all the time so they can keep making their money.

Well... I'm sorry to say that I am in the same boat with so many people. I signed up with Legal Helpers back in August of 2010. Here's my breakdown... $500 retainer Fee and $449.04/month from 9/28/10 to 10/28/13. I submitted 3 credit cards and to my knowledge 2 of them were settled. LH never settled the third one. I was hoping that at the 3-year mark, this would have been resolved but it was not. The company continued to draft out of my account for the first couple of months of this year and then I started getting phone calls from Guardian in May. I really do not know what to do at this point.

I received the 17 pages of info from Guardian explaining their program which is going to cost me even more per month and how they explained it is they are not a debt settlement company, they are a debt dismissal company. So all the money in my escrow account and the money I have to pay is going towards legal fees to get the debt dismissed which I did tell them that I created the debt. I just needed help to settle it, not waste the money to try and get it dismissed. They even state in the paper work that they're not lawyers so who is negotiating it while they keep taking my money?

I feel it's from one bad company to another bad one. I have not signed with Guardian just yet cause I'm hoping there is a better solution than paying more money and not really knowing that at the end of however many months it's going to be resolved. Can I get the money from my escrow account? Can I contact the firm that is representing the third credit card to see if they will work with me, what are my options? Is there someone out there that can advise me? THANK YOU.

It took OVER a year before they filed our bankruptcy chapter 13. All they kept doing is asking for pay stubs over and over and over. Finally we got to the point we called to find out what the hell was going on and why wasn't our case filed. Apparently the lazy attorney moved up to the Green Bay office and never bothered informing us... At that point we didn't have an attorney and they couldn't find our paperwork... Took them a lot of digging... Finally they found us at the bottom of a drawer somewhere I guess. After lots of threats and pushing from us, they finally filed the case. Of course by that time the certificate we had for the pre-bankruptcy course had expired and they wanted us to take it again and pay out of our pockets!

I threw a huge fit and they finally caved and refunded me the class costs since they knew they screwed up and let our case sit and collect dust. We finally got it filed and I had called and asked one of their attorneys about if we should move our bank accounts or not because we had stopped paying our mortgage - he said no, our account should be fine (I explained it was the same bank the mortgage was at). Legal Helpers (who later became Macey Bankruptcy) gave us flat out HORRIBLE advice and the bank froze our accounts and stole our money. Legal Helpers/Macey should have known better than to tell us to leave our accounts at the same bank! They took no responsibility for their horrible advice either and never refunded us or fessed up to the terrible legal advice. DO NOT use Macey/Legal Helpers/Jacob Meyers or whatever they choose to call themselves these days. I hope someone starts a class action suit against them!

What a scam! I paid $471.00 per month for about 18 months. None of my credit cards were paid. I was sued twice by two different credit card companies and have to use my tax return to pay. I did have to go to court but had to pay not only the full balance but over a year or so of late fees. I called Legal helpers and told them I might get my wages garnished. They pretty much said, "It's not our fault". I said where is my escrow of thousands of dollars and they did have an answer. I said I quit the program. At first they wouldn't let me, but decide to let me quit when I threatened to sue them. I was under so much stress with the whole situation. I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown. I would like to be involved in a class action suit. Please let me know what to do.

I was paying this company $500 a month for 2 1/2 years only to find out they are now out of business and transferred my account to Guardian Legal Center. Their plan is ever worst! Does anyone recommend a good attorney in New Jersey I could reach out to?

I have been going through a bankruptcy with this terrible company - first with a Chapter 13, then converted into a Chapter 7. They have dragged their feet the entire 7 years we have been with them. We were at the final stages of discharging our debts and only had to take an online course before finalization. Since we haven't heard from them in over 2 months I called today and found their number disconnected. We have given them more money than I care to mention and went online to see what I could find out. I am horrified to find that so many others are in the same position that I am and no one seems to have answers. If in fact there is a class action suit against them, can someone please provide me with contact names and numbers so that I can participate. This feeling of being in limbo is horrible and not sure what steps to take right now.

I like many of the other people trusted Legal Helpers to do what I paid them to do. Almost 3 years later and $12,000.00, I am in worse financial shape than when I started. Someone please contact me and let me know how to become part of the lawsuit.

I signed up with Legal Helpers 3 years ago and they have been drafting $268 monthly from my checking account. Suddenly, without warning, they stopped drafting and when I attempted to contact them to find out what was wrong, I got no answer. Finally, I reached a person named Stephanie who was extremely uncooperative and then hung up on me. I was then contacted by Global Client Solutions via the email enclosed below. I hope this helps someone, as I actually did receive the balance of my escrow account, although I have no idea of the status of the supposed negotiations by Legal Helpers. Good luck....

I had an account with legal helpers since October 2010. I had gotten garnishment because they said that one of my creditors would not work with a settlement and then I get another letter from another attorney that they were going to take legal action, so I pulled money from retirement to pay that debt off. I contacted Legal Helpers and told them I wanted to pay off the balance and all was paid but one cause, one of my creditor and Legal Helpers amount owed didn't agree.

In October 2013, I owed $399.00 and they were taking $475.00 out of account which had not changed since I paid off my creditors. They told me that I had to keep paying, it wanted a new power of attorney and I refused cause they said they that I had sent one when I started. Haven't had any contact with them until now. Guardian Legal want me to call them and don't know what to do. I have been reading all of the complaints and all the class action law suits against them. What can I do?

I just realized that after dealing with Legal Helpers Debt Resolution for several years that in May the payment wasn't withdrawn. I tried to call and would get hang ups. Then I saw online they were out of business/sold/bankruptcy. Where is my escrow? What about ongoing settlement they were paying? According to them several things were paid and it was legit as I got 1099's from the companies for tax purposes. How do I find out about my escrow and what to do with the leftover accounts? I think it was wrong to not be notified and have a chance to make other arrangements and close my account. If there's a class action lawsuit still ongoing how do I find out, or am I just out the money? Any help to know who to contact on this matter?

I have been with Legal Helpers since 2011 - when I noticed that month of May payment did not clear my bank I called Global Client Solutions the firm that handles the escrow account and was notified by Andy, agent # **, that Legal Helpers has now been sold to Guardian Legal Services and that they are not clients of them - so no future drafts and/or payments will be processed by Global. Andy was helpful to give me Guardian Legal's number and an email with instructions on how to cancel my account with Global for a refund of any escrow balance. As late as May 14th, I received a call from a Legal Helpers rep, but we have been playing phone tag for days. I wonder what he has to say to me? Andy mentioned that there are several clients who have been left in limbo with no notification of the sale. Angry does not begin to describe it.

My mother was a client of Legal Helpers for several years. Over time, debts were negotiated and discharged, however no one would give me a written accounting of her account, and no one would provide me with any proof the debts were actually discharged. I was advised in December when they ceased taking payments from her bank account that she had met her obligation and that roughly $2200.00 was remaining in her "escrow" account held by "bank" called Global Client Solutions. This money was supposed to go toward negotiating 1 final debt. My mother passed away in February, and I have been charged with handling her final affairs.

To date, I have been unable to find a valid phone number or contact information for this company. Global Client Solutions has advised that I need to speak with Legal Helpers. In March, I filed a complaint with the State Of Ohio Attorney General, but they received no response either and closed the case. If anyone has a VALID CONTACT NUMBER for Legal Helpers, I would SURE APPRECIATE the help getting in touch with them!!!

I have been with legal helpers for over 4 years. They promised to settle my debts in 5 - 6 years. I was recently contacted by them telling me they have transitioned to Guardian Legal and that I need to sign up for another 72 months. I have given Legal Helpers over $15,000 to find out very few of my debts have been settled.

Like the rest of you, I gave them money to help me in my situation. They took over $11,000 of my money 4 years ago with promises of settling my accounts and now they have given the account to another firm only to be charged again. There is a national Class Action. If anyone would like to get involved please post here. I'm not sure if they will allow me to post the firms name on here of who is handling this, but I will find out.

Filed for bankruptcy with Legal Helpers Record Number **. Paid $1500.00. Nothing was ever completed. Now I do not know how to proceed...

On Feb 26th I received a letter stating that the trustee is putting in a petition to vacate my case because of a balance I owed. I have been emailing back and forth. The representative advised me that after I had paid the amount that I would receive my discharge papers. I paid that amount and On April 3rd I receive another letter stating that I the trustee is putting in a petition to vacate my chapter 13 if I didn't pay another higher amount. I tried to call and all the numbers has been changed. I'm so clueless as what to do. I didn't realize Legal Helpers name had changed as I've been paying for 5 yrs. So now what do I do?

Like everybody, I pay to Jacoby & Meyers, 1500 plus 306 court fees. They keep my money then went to bankruptcy. We can't do nothing. Another firm got my case but I have to pay another $ 306 court fees???. I'm still waiting to see what is going to happen.

I read all your complaints. Right now I just want to cry. In 2011 I signed with Legal Helpers. Went to a Local office. I paid as much as I could monthly. Nov. 2013 I received a call from the Las Vegas office. The attorney said that another law firm was taking over. They wanted $500.00 to complete my case. I told him I was not a billionaire trying to hide money. I was filing because I could not pay the debt my ex-husband stuck me with. I told the attorney that I would like my money back. He told me to fax a letter to the corporate office stating these wishes. Three days a man from this corporate office called to verify my mailing address. "They wanted to send the check to the correct address."

He told me the refund will be issued no later than 90 days. That was November 22, 2013. On the 85th day, started calling. Every number I had was disconnected. Every number I found on the internet was disconnected. I stumbled onto a link for Facebook. In bold as can be the site said that Legal Helpers is now Jacoby & Meyers. The first call was to the answering service. I was told that a woman by the name of Shela ** was handling that part of the merger. For 1 month straight I called and asked for her. Every time I left the same message. No call back. I filed a complaint with the BBB. I got a call from "Someone at Jacoby". I was told that they took over the law firm. Not the bankruptcy side of it. I was told that Legal Helpers was filing for bankruptcy themselves. I would like to see what can be done about this. Please reach out to me with what can be done. I have not given up.

Our Chapter 7 was discharged in June 2010. In Dec 2014 we applied for a refinance on our home, only to find out that 2 judgments were filed against our home. Legal Helpers failed to do an "Avoidance of Lien" on the 2 judgments so we are stuck with the judgments. I understand to do an "Avoidance of Lien" the entire bankruptcy has to be opened, at an additional cost of $1200. I have not been able to contact Legal Helpers via phone or certified mail. I mail a certified letter to Macey & Aleman PC 2901 W Fusch Blvd, Suite 201 Tampa Fl 33618, it was returned. The consequences are we cannot get a refi with the judgments against our house. I will continue to pursue the matter.

After 3 years of making payments, I finally got a hold of my representative and she said my account was actually done a while back and I would be receiving a refund. I actually paid for 10 months more than needed and probably would have kept on paying had I not contacted them. I was sent an e-mail telling me that over $5,700.00 would be routed back into my account over the next 72 hrs.That was over 2 weeks ago. I have e-mailed and left messages without any return response. I have been lucky enough to have them answer and they told me that my account was closed with them at the time they gave a release of funds to Global Client Solutions. Global says I have to get a new release from Legal Helpers and they tell me to take it up with Global. Meantime no transfer and no answers and no help. They are great at taking your money but don't expect any service when you need help.

I signed up with Legal Helpers in 2011 with a long term payment plan of $50/month for a total of $2,000. Now that my payments are completed, I cannot get in touch with them. They sent me a packet outlining all of the documents they needed & I had an important question that I needed answered in order to complete the package. I started calling last Friday, have spent over 2 hours on "HOLD" listening to them extol the "glories" of their services, how much they appreciate their customers, how important we are to them, blah, blah, blah.

I did get a call back from someone who spoke so rapidly it took listening to the message 5 times before I understood the phone number. I have returned that call 3 times & so far no response. Apparently the attorneys were originally Macey Bankruptcy Law, but have since been taken over by Jacoby & Meyers. They are still in identity crisis mode, because, depending on which buttons you push, you get announcements from both. Filing for Bankruptcy is an expensive and extremely stressful situation, but these folks have just added to the stress. If you can find anyone else to do your bankruptcy, do so. It appears that Jacoby & Meyers spends all their money on TV advertising & long winded, automated phone messages. I am now more frustrated & stressed than I was when I started & also appear to be $2,000 poorer & still have no answer to my questions.

Unfortunately, I signed an agreement with Legal Helpers Debt Resolution, LLC, aka LHDR, on August 24, 2011. My reasoning for doing this was due to the fact that two creditors had raised my APR to 27 percent (I had a long term relationship with both; client with one for 35 years and 16 years with the other, but missed being on time with both by one day. I fell asleep at computer and missed 12:00 am cutoff). LHDR's contract, aka Letter Of Engagement, begins with, "This letter of engagement between Legal Helpers Debt Resolution LLC, also known as Macey, Aleman, Hyslip, & Searns ("LHDR") and (client's name here) confirms the terms and conditions....." Does give me the impression that LHDR was part of the law firm Macey, et al, and that gave me an initial feeling of confidence that legal representation would be part of the process (available).

But, section, 2. C, Litigation Support Services, is confusing at best concerning participation of an attorney in any lawsuit (Tort). I was formerly employed as a Medical Paralegal at one mid-size law firm (approx. 150 attorneys) and as a paralegal in a large law firm (over 700 attorneys, four offices Eastern U.S), and the term "legal representation" meant an attorney would be in charge of suits, cases going or potentially going to trial. I asked the attorney who witnessed the signing of LHDR's Letter Of Engagement if he was the legal rep here in Atlanta, and he responded that he "only witnesses signing of contracts and answers questions from potential LHDR clients." He did not work for them in any other capacity. Hang in there with me. This will be important in a minute.

LHDR's fees have been an issue in many suits filed nationally. Please do an internet search for these. It will be helpful. LHDR's fee schedule required me to make monthly deposits into a "dedicated account" at Global, to be used for debt negotiations/ payments. It required a payment of $373.00 per month, with the following breakdown:

1) $100.00 per month for total of 9 months (upfront) labeled as a "Retainer Fee";
2) $109.54 per month for 28 months, "Service Cost";
3) $103.98 per month for 9 mos.; $203.98 for 18 mos.; $204.22 for one month; $313.52 for 13 mos.; $313.18 for one mo; "Settlement Reserves";
4) $50.00 Per mo for total of 42 mos.; "Legal Administration Fee"

5) $10.25 per mo for total of 42 mos.; "Banking Fees"

I was told that any negotiations would not begin until after the "Retainer Fees" had been paid (9 months of upfront payments); and until payments had reached approx. the 20th month or more. My first account was settled without incident. My second, and last account, has an issue(s). After settlement of my first account, I did not receive account updates for approximately 5 to 6 months. Then suddenly, I received an email from Mildred in "Account Management." I had never spoken to Mildred prior to this brief, to the point email that went as follows: Hello Debra, Settlement on your last account with ....(company). I will not name the company, but they have the reputation of being "difficult to deal with" and very litigious. Since engaging LHDR, this company had threatened me with lawsuits if I did not begin payments. Upon signing the contract, (aka Letter Of Engagement) with LHDR, they (LHDR) advised me to discontinue any payments and any contact with the company.

The attachment sent with Mildred's email was a CONSENT JUDGEMENT. To my surprise, I had been sued. My confusion with this document had to do with the fact that LHDR had NEVER notified me that company who will remain nameless had filed suit. I had never been received a Summons or Complaint as the Consent Judgement said I had, "Defendant hereby acknowledges receipt of the Summons and Complaint and has no objections to service or process of service, and acknowledges jurisdiction and venue........ the parties desire to resolve the issues.... etc." The Consent Judgement defines the, "mutual promises and covenants herein contained..., etc." Then the "mutual promises" are defined.

The amount of the judgement was for the full amount of what I owed at the time of the filing (remember that I was directed by LHDR NOT TO PAY any amount I had been billed since engaging LHDR). I also owed COURT COSTS (even though I never was notified by LHDR that suit had been filed. Section 2 of the Consent Judgement defined how/when/to whom payments should be made). I called LHDR immediately upon reading the Consent Judgement, but it was late Friday afternoon and no one was there. What a fun weekend I had!!!!!! To recap:

1) LHDR never notified me that a complaint had been filed.
2) I never saw any pleadings related to this case.
3) I have never spoken to an attorney at LHDR, "LHDR LLC, aka Macey, Aleman, Hyslip & Stearns ("LHDR")....." that is exactly how it is listed in the Letter Of Engagement. Gives one the impression or belief that LHDR is part of a law firm doesn't it??
4) I asked what attorney represented me in court (or out of court) and never received an answer.
5) When I pressed for an answer re: attorney's name (kept asking, asking, asking) but did not get any answers.
6) I did not want to be sued. Who does, but was told that "company who will not be named here" files suit, "because they can."
7) According to LHDR's own rules, I should have been notified about the complaint and consulted about what options I wanted to pursue. According to all information I could find on my research about them, they outsource most everything (administrative duties, negotiations, etc., etc).
8) I was given no choice regarding settlement terms/negotiations. This is a direct violation of the Letter Of Agreement, not to mention unethical.
9) On 9/6/2013, I received an email from a Client Services Manager at LHDR that "due to nonpayment of funds, all agreements are void" and that I was in violation of the Letter Of Engagement". A Client Service Rep named Francis had been harassing me about my need to continue to use Global and pay same amounts as due before settlement agreement. I told her that due to recent Class Action Lawsuit and subsequent judgement against Global, I did not want to use them as my account funds administrator. Regarding this most recent settlement, I have made a lump sum payment, paid filing fees for plaintiff, and three months of monthly payments to firm representing plaintiff, but Francis with LHDR told her supervisor I had not made any payments.
10) I am so angry this firm is still in business.

11) LHDR should not be allowed to function as a debt resolution firm. And their affiliation with Macey, et al, should be very clear on all correspondence. Advise all to perform your diligence (I should have done a better job of that, but can honestly say I had just been told by one of my doctors that as a result of an accident I had, and deterioration of my condition, I might not have long to walk. I think I may try to wheel myself to wherever LHDR's office is, if they can be located, and ask them how they can sleep at night. I bet they would say, "very well." I am surer.

Please let me know if I can assist in any way to stop LHDR from deceptive business practices.

Legal Helpers Company Profile