4 TLC Laser Eye Centers Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

My evaluation for nearsighted correction was at the Westchester, IL location. Staff was great scheduling, examining and Q & A. They educated me about everything and also warned me the mechanism of reading is different and would remain uncorrected by Lasik. I was nervous the day of the surgery but everything went orderly and quickly. Followup care by TLC was also very good and I had nothing but the healing symptoms they told me to expect. It's been 8 years and my vision for distance is still perfect. No surprise, I now sometimes need reading glasses.

Original review: April 15, 2018

Laser surgery beware - Had the surgery done when I was 44 and it lasted a few years until my eyes changed due to growing older. I was never told my eyes would change as you grow older but I went back to my optometrist and then to TLC in Pittsburgh where I had the procedure done. At the time the surgery was expensive and it lasted for only a couple of years. I went back to TLC and they told me at an additional charge they would recorrect my eyes to account for aging but the risk is much greater because it's a different type of surgery and the flap is already been opened. I opted to not do it, not to pay more good money for bad and not to trust these people. It was a waste of time and money. Buyer beware, they are only interested in taking your money.

Get expert buying tips about LASIK Surgery Center delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2018

I went to the TLC located in Greenville, SC. Excellent customer service upon entering. Was told I had to go for the PRK procedure instead of LASIK. On the day of the procedure (Sept. 2016), everyone was extremely nice and the room was extremely clean. Everyone was given eye drops to numb the eye and a relaxer. I went in for the procedure and was done in about 4 minutes. The pain the next day was pretty rough but it only lasted 24 hours. I am 100% happy with the outcome as I have 20/15 vision now. Highly recommend TLC!

Original review: July 8, 2010

I went to TLC Laser Center on November 5, 2009. I had a procedure done on my left eye--I had blurry vision, and I wanted to see clearly. I went through with the surgery, and after the surgery was done, I went for my post-op visits. They kept telling me to give it time; so I did. Well, it was 7 months already, and I still saw the same and the usual doctor I always see was not there.

So I saw Dr. **. She basically told me that if she would've given me the consultation the first time, she would've advised me not to go through with the surgery, because people with my condition will never see a difference; that unless I lose my good eye, my left eye will never work. Had I known that, I would never have gone through the surgery.

I left the office really upset about what I had heard. Dr. ** called me an hour later to then try to change the story, because basically what she said about her co-worker was not right. TLC should be working as a team. Instead, I have one doctor telling me the truth and the other doctor just trying to make money. Dr. ** told me to do the surgery again. But I refused to let someone go into my eye again and probably end up ruining my eye.

I paid $2200, and I am not asking for a full refund, even though I feel like I shouldn't have to pay for anything after what was done to me. The remaining balance is $1886, and I would like a credit from TLC. I went in with blurry vision, and I came out with blurry vision. And all they want to do is go back and try to fix the problem, which I am scared of, because I do not want to lose my eye in case something goes wrong. This is a very delicate matter.

TLC Laser Eye Centers expert review by ConsumerAffairs

With 20 years of experience diagnosing and performing corrective eye surgery, TLC Laser Eye Centers offer a variety of options and financing. They are the largest provider in North America, with more than 2.2 million successful procedures performed.

• Financing available: Although insurance companies don’t offer coverage for laser vision correction, TLC Laser Eye Centers work with patients to put together financing packages.

• Lifetime commitment: TLC Laser Eye Centers offer a lifetime guarantee of their work, so any refinements needed in the future are at no-cost to the patient.

• Experienced surgeons: As the largest and one of the oldest laser vision correction centers, TLC has the experience to accurately judge eligibility and probable success of a procedure.

• Locations: As with any franchise, there is always the possibility of a less than stellar location. While as a whole TLC offers exceptional service, it pays to investigate individual locations.

• Technology: Generally, newer is better with health technology, but it also comes with its share of risks. New procedures do not have the same proof of success as established procedures.

• Best for: Extremely visually impaired, The professional